Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Kind of Magic by unjellify

Printer
Summary: James Potter is Head Boy and Gryffindor Quidditch captain in his seventh year at Hogwarts. He has three best friends and his life seems perfect--except that Lily Evans, the only girl he's ever loved, can't stand him.

Lily Evans is Head Girl and top of their class. She's always been disgusted by James' arrogance, yet she can't seem to stop blushing when he's around.

As their Head Boy and Girl duties bring them together, can James find a way to win Lily's love?

A Different Kind of Magic has been nominated for the 2011 Quicksilver Quills: Best Canon Romance. Thank you!


Ratings: 3rd-5th Years [ - ]
Category: James/Lily
Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death, Mild Profanity, Sexual Situations, Substance Abuse, Violence
Challenge:
Serie: None
Chapters: 17 Completed?: No
Wordcount: 42548 Viewcount: 126392
Published on: 08/05/10 Updated On: 09/06/14



Story Notes: This story is told from both James' and Lily's points of view, alternating by chapter. Enjoy!


1. Chapter 1- That Easy by unjellify [ - ] (1170 words)
The usual disclaimer: I don't own anything. All the characters, settings, spells, nicknames, etc. are J.K. Rowling's noble creation.
Also, thanks to Emily for being an awesome beta!

2. Chapter 2- Responsibility by unjellify [ - ] (2194 words)
*Disclaimer* All the amazing characters, settings, etc. are JKR's, not mine. Oh, how I wish they were....
Thanks to my beta Emily for making this chapter so much more awesome.

3. Chapter 3-Libatius Borage's Complete Guide to Women by unjellify [ - ] (1741 words)
I'm really sorry for the long interlude between updates, but it's back!
And, of course, the usual disclaimer: only the plot is mine, everything else is the incredible work of J.K. Rowling.

4. Chapter 4-Something There That Wasn't There Before by unjellify [ - ] (2300 words)
I am not J.K. Rowling (obviously) and as such her characters and settings are not mine. In the spirit of giving credit, the chapter title, as all Disney fans know, comes from Beauty and the Beast.
Thanks to Erin and Soraya for their help in shaping this chapter into its current, beautiful version. Enjoy!

5. Chapter 5-What Friends Are For by unjellify [ - ] (2687 words)
Disclaimer: I am (obviously) not J.K. Rowling and do not own the products of her wonderful imagination.
Thanks to Soraya and Erin for their excellent work editing this chapter.

6. Chapter 6-Trouble Brewing by unjellify [ - ] (1761 words)
Disclaimer: I do not own any of J.K. Rowling's captivating creations.
Thanks to Soraya for her wonderful editing!

7. Chapter 7-The Storm Is Coming In by unjellify [ - ] (2286 words)
Hi everyone! I apologize for the hiatus in updating--March was an unbelievably busy month for me. The chapter title comes from the (brilliant) lyrics to Degausser by Brand New, and as usual, everything from the Potter-verse belongs to the incredible J.K. Rowling. Thanks to Soraya for her wonderful editing skills!
8. Chapter 8-Flying Lessons by unjellify [ - ] (3190 words)
Sorry for the long wait, everyone! Luckily, summer is starting, so the updates will come more quickly. As usual, I am not J.K. Rowling, and cannot take credit for her creations. Thanks to Soraya and Erin for fantastic editing!
9. Chapter 9- Black Holes and Revelations by unjellify [ - ] (2549 words)
This has been my favorite chapter to write thus far. Before you read this, I am not J.K. Rowling and am only playing in her sandbox. The chapter title comes from the lyrics to "Starlight" by Muse, which I felt fit this chapter well. Thanks to Soraya for her superb beta skills.
10. Chapter 10-Missing by unjellify [ - ] (3397 words)
Thanks to Soraya as always for whipping this chapter into shape! Also, I am not J.K. Rowling (in case anyone wasn't sure) and take no credit for her creations.
11. Chapter 11-A Little Unwell by unjellify [ - ] (3280 words)
The Potter-verse belongs to J.K. Rowling, and the chapter title comes from the song "Unwell" by Matchbox Twenty. Thanks to Soraya for her usual amazing editing, and to Erin for discussing the endless possibilities.
12. Chapter 12-Family Matters by unjellify [ - ] (3190 words)
Sorry for the wait, everyone! As always, I don't own the Potter-verse. Thanks to Soraya for her excellent beta work.
13. Chapter 13-Engulfed in Flames by unjellify [ - ] (1741 words)
The chapter title comes from "I Was Once A Loyal Lover" by Death Cab For Cutie. I am still not J.K. Rowling. Thanks to Soraya for her usual masterful editing.
14. Chapter 14 - Returns and Regrets by unjellify [ - ] (3403 words)
Wow. So, it's been an insanely long time since I've updated (real life, everyone), but if anyone has stuck with me, a million thanks. As usual, props to my wonderful, wonderful beta Soraya.



15. Chapter 15-Distraction and Temptation by unjellify [ - ] (2618 words)
For anyone that may remember this story and was following it, I'm so sorry I haven't updated in so long! Real life has been great but hectic. For new readers, welcome! Hopefully I'll be updating more frequently now until this fic is finished. As usual, I don't own any of JK Rowling's lovely creations.
16. Chapter 16-Bella Notte by unjellify [ - ] (2415 words)
I still (unfortunately) do not own the Potterverse. I hope this chapter is as fun to read as it was to write. This is the one we've all been waiting for!
17. Chapter 17- Confused Alarms of Struggle and Flight by unjellify [ - ] (2626 words)
Hi all! I do intend to finish this story despite the hiatus--special thanks to anyone who has actually kept up with it. Also, thanks to Wenlock for the awesome beta work on this chapter! Happy reading! (As usual, the world is J.K. Rowling's; only the story is mine.)