Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Different Kind of Magic by unjellify

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

This story is told from both James' and Lily's points of view, alternating by chapter. Enjoy!
Chapter Notes: The usual disclaimer: I don't own anything. All the characters, settings, spells, nicknames, etc. are J.K. Rowling's noble creation.
Also, thanks to Emily for being an awesome beta!


“James, mate.” James Potter groaned as someone shook him awake.

“James!”

“Uh…yuh…yeah?” James said sleepily, rubbing his eyes.

“We’re going back to Hogwarts tomorrow. Last time.”

James rolled over to see his best friend, Sirius, standing unsteadily above his bed. “Sir, you are intoxicated,” James said, grinning and prodding Sirius in the chest.

“Sir, I feel bloody amazing.” Sirius swayed, and through the gloom James was quite sure that he saw a hickey on Sirius’ neck.

“Who was the lucky lady tonight?” James ribbed him.

“I forget.” Sirius chuckled. “Lucy, Lacey, Lala, something like that.”

“Lala? Mate, you’re completely smashed. Get a little rest before the big day tomorrow, eh?”

“What big day?” Sirius looked blank.

“Go to bed,” James said firmly. “Either that or let’s go out again and I can have a go at that Lala.”

“Lala,” Sirius said dreamily, climbing into the bed across the room. “She was fantastic.” He was snoring within minutes.

*

“Now, James, Sirius, I know this is seventh year, but that doesn’t mean you can skive off,” Mrs. Potter said, tucking James’ shirt in and tugging Sirius’ tie into its proper place.

“Mum!” James exclaimed. “No one has their uniforms on when they board the train.”

“Yes, but you’re Head Boy. You need to look proper,” Mrs. Potter said fondly.

“I’m not Head Boy, am I?” Sirius grumbled.

“I suppose not, but it makes you both look dashing.”

“Evans might notice you,” Sirius said, ducking to avoid a swat from James.

“What’s that, dear?” Mrs. Potter asked.

“James is in love,” Sirius drawled.

“Really? Jamie, that’s nice. Which one is she?” Mrs. Potter looked around hopefully.

“She’s probably already on the train, Mum. Speaking of which, I’m supposed to be there too.”

“Oh yes, you need to give prefect assignments, don’t you. My James, Head Boy.” Mrs. Potter smiled and Sirius mimed gagging, turning his head slightly so that she couldn’t see. “Well, go on, then,” she continued. “I’ll write to you. And you too, Sirius,” she said, hugging both boys.

Sirius smiled. James knew he appreciated the attention Mrs. Potter gave him, especially since Mrs. Black was about as nice as a Blast-Ended Skrewt.

James and Sirius boarded the train together. “Paddy! Prongs!” someone shouted. They looked up to see Remus, wearing his prefect’s badge and running toward them.

“All right, Moony?” James said, clapping Remus on the back.

“Full moon isn’t for weeks, so I’d say he is,” Sirius said casually.

A crease appeared in Remus' brow. “I wish you wouldn’t say that, mate.”

“Fair enough. I’ll go find a compartment while you watch Bighead Boy drool over Evans.”

“One day, Black, I swear,” James said, shaking his head. “I do need to go, though. Find a good compartment, I’ll see you later.”

He entered the prefects’ carriage with Remus, where Lily Evans was already giving common room duties to each prefect. She turned. “All right, Remus, James? You’re late, by the way,” she added to James, rolling her eyes.

“Lovely to see you too, Evans,” James said. “Anything I can do?” He rumpled his hair unconsciously.

“No, I think I’ve got it under control, thanks,” Lily said coolly. “Remus, you’ll supervise Gryffindor common room with Mary, obviously. Any questions?” she called as everyone got up to leave.

“Yeah,” said Augustus Rookwood, a Slytherin prefect. “How come we should take orders from a filthy little Mudblood like you?”

James lunged at him and drew his wand, pressing it directly to Rookwood’s throat. “Apologize,” he hissed through his teeth. He couldn’t stand anyone insulting Lily, no matter how much she insulted him.

Rookwood’s bravado was gone. He was temporarily unable to say anything. “You deaf, Rookwood?” James yelled.

“James Potter,” Lily snapped. “However gallant you may think you are, you’re Head Boy. You can’t go around attacking people on my behalf.” James noticed that her face had gone very pale at the word Mudblood.

“Don’t”you”dare”say”that”word,” James growled, ignoring everything except the hurt expression on Lily’s face. He poked his wand into Rookwood’s chest with every word, which left small, cigarette-like burns in Rookwood’s shirt.

“James, that is enough!” Lily said sharply, and James released the trembling Rookwood. Into his ear, she whispered, “I think the way you try to boss everyone around is despicable.”

“Evans,” James said pleadingly.

“Thank you, James,” Lily said grudgingly, “but I can take care of myself.” Her lips were pursed in disapproval.

James remained silent. “I’ll see you later, Lily,” he said finally. She looks so bloody lovely when she’s cross at me, James thought as he walked out of the compartment.

Wormtail had joined Sirius by the time that James and Remus found them. Sirius was eating a pumpkin pasty, while Wormtail was scanning the first page of A History of Magic with a worried look on his face.

“How’d it go, Prongs?” Sirius asked.

“Lily’s brassed off at me. Just because I tried to teach that Rookwood a lesson for calling her a you-know-what.”

“A what? A temptress?” Sirius said.

“Vixen?” Remus suggested.

“Scarlet woman?” said Peter. They all looked at him and he quailed. “It’s what my dad always says,” he mumbled sheepishly.

“No, you morons, the M-word. I was trying to help her out, and she starts telling me off!”

“Ah,” said Sirius. “Well, it’s been years now, mate. Move on. Every other girl in Gryffindor fancies you.”

“No, it’s always been Evans, always will be,” James said miserably.

He could tell that Sirius didn’t understand. Sirius went through girlfriends like James went through broomstick polish. He knew Sirius was right, that plenty of other girls existed who would love to date the Gryffindor Quidditch captain. For him, however, Lily was the only one who mattered. She was the prettiest, smartest girl James had ever met, and there was something about her that James couldn’t put a name to that captivated him. James wished that Lily would be captivated by him. What did she see in him that was so repulsive to her?

“Bad luck, mate. I’m in the market for a new woman, as it were. Hey, you there!” Sirius stuck his head out of the compartment and called to a tall, blonde Ravenclaw walking past whom James didn’t recognize. “Alice, right? Would you fancy going out with me this weekend? Just a walk about the grounds, nothing formal.”

The girl eyed Sirius’ tousled brown hair and film star grin and nodded, giggling. “That would be nice.”

“Lovely. I’m Sirius. Sirius Black.”

“Oh, I knew that,” Alice said, and then blushed and hurried away.

“See?” Sirius said, turning back to James and grinning. “‘S that easy.”

James stared broodingly out the window. If only it were that easy with Evans. If only.
Chapter Endnotes: Chapter One is mostly for character and plot development, so next chapter will be more exciting. Also, since this chapter was from James' point of view, the next chapter will be from Lily's. Thanks for reading and please review; this is my first fan fiction and I'd love some feedback!