Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Taking Direction by WeasleyMom

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Molly reacts to a change in the script for Half-Blood Prince. Thanks to Gina/Gmariam for her ongoing support and beta help with this fic.

Fired Up

–Molly, do sit down and have some tea,” said Minerva, trying to calm her friend.

–Tea?” asked Molly incredulously. –However will that help anything?”

Minerva pursed her lips, possibly recalling the numerous occasions upon which she’d seen Molly offer tea to others as a solution to all sorts of worry and trial.

–Do you not understand what he is planning to do?” Molly demanded.

Minerva changed her expression into one of patience. –I understand the situation perfectly and am only suggesting that a cool head might be an asset if you must speak to The Director yourself.” She offered the steaming cup to Molly, who waved it away and continued to pace the floor. –Try not to worry. I’m sure Arthur will sort everything out.”

But Molly looked far from convinced.

Though she wasn’t involved in any shooting, she’d come to the studio hoping for a chat with Ginny or one of the boys. But thoughts of her children had flown far from her mind when The Director bid her a bright –Good Morning” and handed her a thin script with the word –addition” hand-written across the top. (She’d long ago realized the word usually meant trouble.) She’d skimmed through the pages as she wandered to a common area where breakfast food had been laid out for the cast and crew. That was when she’d seen it:

Death Eaters set fire to Burrow; Weasley family watches in shock and horror as their home burns.

Stunned and disoriented by the words, she’d glanced around. Minerva and Albus had been there, holding the very same scripts, and eyeing Molly and one another in turns. The knowing, concerned expressions on their faces had confirmed the truth of the words she had seen on the script.

Predictably, Molly had exploded. –He can’t be serious!” The shouting had drawn the attention of a woman carrying a clipboard and a man she’d seen before setting up lights. At this point, Albus and Minerva had quickly ushered her to the nearest of their dressing rooms, the one Molly and Arthur shared.

Arthur had arrived moments later, after receiving the information via a Patronus message from George. Though visibly shaken by the news, Arthur had also been somewhat hopeful that reason might still prevail, and had insisted on going to The Director to explain why the family would prefer this scene not be included.

There had been shouting; Molly had declared that this was –the living end” and –the final straw” and made several other comments not to be repeated—one of which involved Godric Gryffindor and a spell rarely mentioned in civilized company. Albus had gazed amusedly over his spectacles at Minerva, whose eyebrows had crawled up under her hat and nearly disappeared.

In the end, Arthur had kissed his wife’s cheek, told her not to worry, and left the room in search of The Director.

That was nearly half an hour ago, and now Minerva stood sighing, holding both her own and Molly’s cups of tea. Molly, for her part, continued to pace a hole in the carpet as Albus sat calmly in a chair, glancing at the door every little while.

When it finally opened, Arthur came into the room, looking very much like he was bracing himself for something wretched. Remus and Tonks were right behind him, chatting happily, clearly unaware of the drama unfolding as Molly continued her pacing, muttering under her breath with every step.

Then she spotted her husband, and the whole room went momentarily still. –Well?” she wanted to know. –He’s not going through with it, is he? Did you talk him out of it?”

He drew his lips into a tight line, avoiding her gaze.

–Arthur?”

–I’m afraid it’s going to happen, dear. He’s quite adamant.”

There was a moment of silence in which a pin could have been heard hitting the floor. Reumus and Tonks apparently didn’t understand the source of the growing tension in the room. Finally, the latter asked, –Sorry… what’s going on?”

Molly’s breaths were coming so hard and fast now that her shoulders rose every time she inhaled. –What’s going on,” she screeched, –is that The Director is going to burn down my house!”

–Our house,” Arthur corrected easily, though no one minded him, least of all his wife.

–And we’re still just going to stand there, I assume? Isn’t that what he said?” She adopted a mocking tone and recited as best she could from memory, –Weasley family stands in shock and horror as Burrow burns at the hands of Death Eaters.”

Remus stepped forward. –Surely it won’t be that bad.” He’d meant it as comfort, but it had come out more like a question.

–Don’t be so sure about that, Remus,” Molly snapped. –Besides, you’ve got your own problems, don’t you? You’ve got to stand there with us, gaping at a burning house as if you don’t have any magical ability of your own! You’ll look as stupid and pathetic as we are!” She swung around, speaking to no one in particular. –If something like that had happened, which it did not,” she spat, her voice rising again in volume and pitch, –every single one of us would have been furiously casting spells to put out the fire!”

Arthur came up behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders. –You’re quite right, of course, dear, but I think we’ll have to go along. We’ve lost this round, but we’ll manage it. It’s not the first time we’ve had to make adjustments.”

–It’s the first time anyone burned down my house!”

–It does seem strange,” said Tonks. –It’s rather a bizarre addition, isn’t it?”

Arthur sighed. –Because of everything in the story with the kids and their romances, The Director is afraid viewers will forget the danger and drama that is still out there for all of us.”

–Is that what he told you?” Molly asked, narrowing her eyes.

–Yes, and it’s a fair point, though I certainly don’t agree that this is the answer.”

–Drama,” said Molly in a defeated tone. –I suppose there's not enough drama in an impending war?” She sank down into a chair next to Minerva, who was still awkwardly managing two cups of tea. –In facing continual danger and worrying over our children every minute of every day?”

Her words affected everyone, filling the room with a heavy silence.

After several moments, Albus cleared his throat. –If it is drama we lack,” he said with his eyes twinkling, –then perhaps I could make myself useful with another outburst of rage.”

Everyone looked at him curiously.

–Surely you remember how volatile my temper is… perhaps I could attack one of the students again?”

The memory of Professor Dumbledore frantically grabbing and shaking Harry after his name had emerged from the Goblet of Fire caused everyone to laugh; even Molly had a slight twitch at the corners of her mouth.

The tension had been diffused.

Tonks put her arm through her husband’s. –At least our integrity has been preserved, don’t you agree, Sweetheart?” She rolled her eyes in disgust.

–Quite right, Sweetheart,” he over-emphasized.

Tonks turned back to Molly and said pointedly, –Cheer up, Molly. At least no one’s discussing your cycle.”

–Dora,” Remus chastised, obviously embarrassed.

–Quite right,” said Arthur.

–Something we can all be grateful for,” Minerva muttered to everyone’s general amusement.

Arthur sat down next to his wife as she finally accepted the cup of tea from Minerva. –We must look on the bright side, dear.”

–What bright side?” she asked, though she had calmed down considerably.

–At least there’s a scene featuring my workshop!”

She stared at him, her face slack. –Yes, what a relief that is.”

Arthur, completely missing her tone, smiled happily.

Molly sipped her tea and sighed. –Well, I suppose there is one good thing about all this.”

Five heads turned her way.

–The attack and the fire will interrupt the scene with Ginny and Harry, the one where she ties his trainers.” She shook her head, looking like she had a bad taste in her mouth.

–His trainers?” asked Tonks. –Oh, wait, is that why everyone’s calling her Shoelace?”

–I’d be careful about that if I were you,” Minerva suggested. –I saw Mr. Finnigan earlier: his shoelaces had been jinxed to lengthen and knot up around his ankles. Looked worse than the Leg-locker curse to me.”

–She’s not taking it well,” said Molly, nodding. –But I can’t say I blame her. As if a daughter of mine would stoop to… honestly!”

–Right you are.” Arthur rose and held out a hand to his wife. –We’ll go along with it and rescue our daughter from humiliation at the same time. Now,” he began, rubbing his hands together in excitement, –you must come see the set they’re building for my workshop!”

Molly forced a weary smile and followed her husband to the door, placing her now-empty teacup on a table as they passed. –Anyone care to join us?” she asked hopefully.

The others politely declined, and the Weasleys left to explore the workshop.

Remus broke the silence. –It does seem strange The Director would cut the battle at the castle when he needs drama, only to add in a fictional fire? It’s a rather convoluted plan to engineer when there's so much obvious danger in a battle involving the students.”

–Indeed.” Albus nodded thoughtfully. –Some individuals feel bound to create complexity even when the simplest of solutions lie plainly in front of them.”

No one commented, but all seemed to be thinking it over.

–I suppose in the end, it proves entertaining, does it not?” Albus asked.

Minerva glanced at the door where the Weasleys had vanished only moments ago. –I believe that depends on whom you ask, Albus.”

He chuckled, as did the others. –Indeed it does, Minerva. Indeed it does.”

Chapter Endnotes:

I apologize profusely for the ridiculous wait on this update. I have one more chapter for HBP in the works and then a couple for DH, at least.

I am trying to get my seemingly-abandoned WIP fics moving again, and hoping some of you will still be interested in reading them. :) Thanks for sticking with this fic, if you've read this far. I appreciate it.

In fact, the only thing I appreciate MORE are reviews! (wink, nudge)