Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Chocolate Frog by L A Moody

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: With humble gratitude to J. K. Rowling for allowing me to build castles in her sandbox once more.




Thirty - Eight
Harry: Victory Anniversaries



Harry should’ve realized there would be more to their negotiations. After all, he’d told Ginny he’d do anything if she were his date and who could blame her for wanting to make the most of that?

If she was going to accompany him for the evening, Ginny reasoned, then it was only fitting that Harry be her date for the daytime festivities.

So on the morning of May the second, Harry shrank the hanger holding his formal clothes to fit into the pocket of his windbreaker, slipping the black velvet box into his inside breast pocket for safekeeping. Then with a sprinkling of glittering Floo Powder, he set out for the Tonks residence to collect his godson for his first-ever beach party.

Teddy greeted him effusively with a tight hug around the knees. His stubby index finger pointed excitedly towards the wrapped box in the center of the kitchen table.

–Don’t worry, sport. I’ll make sure we don’t forget the present for the birthday girl.”

Andromeda had decorated the bright fuchsia foil with multi-colored daisies from her garden. An unconscious homage to Tonks, Harry decided with a hint of sadness.

He looked up to find a haggard-looking Andromeda working her way down the stairs with Teddy’s duffle in hand. –I’ve packed enough changes of clothing that he can fall into the cake frosting more than once,” she commented wryly.

Harry couldn’t help noting that her eyes were dull and unfocused. –Are you feeling all right, Andromeda? Spring colds can be the worst.”

She waved him off as she slowly sank into a kitchen chair. –Nothing a good night’s sleep won’t cure. I can’t shake off the feeling of the full moon since….”

–I understand completely,” Harry finished for her. It was no wonder the lunar cycles reminded her of the son-in-law she’d lost.

–Don’t bounce back as well as I used to,” she admitted as she set the teakettle on with a flick of her wand.

With sudden inspiration, Harry suggested, –Why don’t you let me take Teddy on ahead? Have a bit of a lie in, for once. Join us at midday when you feel rested. The cake cutting’s not ‘til two.”

–I don’t know, Harry. Teddy can be quite a handful, especially when he’s so wound up with anticipation.”

–Don’t you think there’ll be plenty of honorary aunts just dying for a challenge?”

Still she hesitated, –I don’t want to put anyone out.”

–You won’t, trust me. Just make sure you’re there by tea time as I have to change from godfather into Prince Charming.”

She chuckled lowly as she capitulated. As Ginny’s unofficial Fairy-Godmother-in-Charge-of-Wardrobe, Andromeda knew that the day’s agenda would be quite varied.

Harry double-checked that he had all his belongings before whispering to Teddy that they would build their first sand castle today.

Andromeda made as if to start up the stairs then turned at the last moment, her hand clutching the banister in a white grip. –You won’t forget about tomorrow, will you? I don’t suppose they’ll mind that we’re a day late…” Her voice choked on the words, but the imploring look she gave Harry conveyed her meaning nevertheless.

–They’d insist we celebrate the joy of the day before we indulged in the sorrow,” Harry soothed. –Birth always trumps death.”

–You’re right, of course,” Andromeda sighed. –Victoire shouldn’t be short-changed just because her birthday falls on the same day.”

–Less crowds tomorrow anyway,” Harry supplied in as chirpy a voice as he could muster. Tomorrow would be a three-hanky day, no doubt about it; but he was not going to let that mar today’s festivities. The joy of innocent children shouldn’t be overshadowed by the horrors of the past.

Harry tightened his hold on his godson’s tiny hand to keep him from rushing up the stairs to comfort his grandmother.

Practically swaying from fatigue, Andromeda pressed, –Are you certain half-eight isn’t too early? Seeing as how you’ll be at the gala until the wee hours.”

–Not unless you’re planning another lie in of your own,” Harry returned playfully. He’d had enough sleepless nights himself to recognize the symptoms.

She gave a ruefully laugh. –Teddy would never stand for it.”

–Then there’s your answer.” There was no point in mentioning that all those early mornings when he’d been in hiding had permanently reset his body clock. Cold, damp, and filled with the sour bile of fear, the three of them had broken camp as the dawn inched its way over the horizon. It was a harsh lesson his body had taken to heart; to this day, Harry found he could never go back to sleep once the day had broken.

Besides, he had a special surprise in store for Andromeda. One that had required him to call in a lot of extra favors, but it had been worth it. If all went according to plan, at this time tomorrow he’d be escorting them to the Unknowable mausoleum of the Lestrange clan. Despite the family enmity, Harry knew that Andromeda longed to do justice to her older sister’s memory as well. She just hadn’t been able to do so in the past.

Quite by chance -- he didn’t feel right about calling it ‘luck’ -- a document had crossed his desk detailing an abortive breakout at Azkaban. The names of those apprehended read like a roster of the Death Eater elite, most of whose new cells were now reinforced with redundant spells and padlocks. One prisoner had not been so fortunate, however, and had tumbled to his death in the frigid whirlpools which surrounded the mighty fortress. Rodolphus Lestrange’s next of kin had made arrangements to transport his body to the family vault in an undisclosed locale. But there had been enough of a paper trail for Harry to locate the aging sexton who oversaw the graveyard that catered to Muggles and wizarding folk alike.

–Aye, I’m familiar with the family,” the graying Squib remarked solemnly. –One of those old families who didn’t much care whom they antagonized. No one lives forever, I always say -- and many a great name has dwindled to dust with such short-sighted thinking.”

Hearted by the man’s comments, Harry had requested special access for family members. –In-laws, actually,” he clarified.

–Ah, the disavowed side of the family,” the sexton nodded knowingly. –Blood magic will recognize its own, make no mistake.”

–So I won’t be able to accompany them?” Harry asked, fearing that Andromeda might be too overcome to handle a two-year-old by herself.

–Never you mind,” the sexton assured him. –We’ll sandwich you in between them and the charm won’t know the difference. Just make certain you’re here before the crush of Muggles attending prayers at eleven. Wouldn’t do for them to see the lot of us entering my tool shed and then me emerging alone.”

Harry agreed -- even though his eyes told him that beyond the caretaker’s shed was nothing but a craggy ravine overgrown with thorn bushes.

To mark the occasion, Harry had even mastered Hermione’s spell that conjured a wreath of flowers. Not that it hadn’t taken a good bit of practice, mind you.

The key, Hermione assured him, was to visualize the flowers in your mind before mumbling the incantation. Something which had seemed simple in theory, but quite beyond his capabilities at first.

–You just never paid attention to such details,” Mrs. C consoled him. –Women always notice the flowers.”

Then the next day, she brought him a manual on flower arranging she’d found in a second-hand bookstall. Staring at the photos, his mastery of the spell had improved steadily.

Harry made a mental note to pay special attention to the floral displays that were certain to grace the Ministry’s victory festivities. The images would still be fresh in his mind when he tried to replicate them the next morning.

An insistent tug from Teddy refocused his attention. There would be plenty of time for remembrance tomorrow, but it wouldn’t do to keep the birthday girl waiting.

Hoisting his godson firmly on his hip, Harry clutched the duffle with his free hand.

–I’ll bring the gift with me,” Andromeda promised.

Without further hesitation, Harry stepped into the emerald flames and announced, –Shell Cottage.” The mournful whistle of the teapot echoed in his ears as the two of them were whisked away.






He smelled the ocean before his eyes came into proper focus. Allowing Teddy to scramble to the floor, Harry straightened his glasses with one hand as he was caught up in a series of hugs. By the profusion of implements in the smallish kitchen, it was clear that Molly and Madame Delacour were sharing the cooking duties for the day.

The sea breeze through the open window carried the sweet, oniony scent of wild ramps, a flavor that always invoked warm, cozy meals at Shell Cottage. Harry caught a glimpse of Teddy as George led him by the hand and out the front door.

–Don’t worry,” Fleur crooned as he hung his formal wear in the hall closet. – ‘E’s just taking ‘im to ze beach to join Victoire. Bill’s set to buildeeng elaborate chateau beefore ze tide washes eet all away.”

Recalling that the small sliver of beach all but disappeared at high tide, Harry stripped down to his bathing costume and hastened to catch up.

The sand was cold in the lee of the large boulders; the air still bore that fresh-scrubbed smell he associated with mornings at the seashore. As he worked his way down the snaking trail, happy voices mingled with the cry of gulls in the background. The sunlight intensified as he rounded the last tall rock where everyone had draped their towels and discarded clothing. He recognized Ginny’s turquoise windbreaker.

–Ahoy, mate!” Ron called from his knees. –Did you happen to bring Hermione with you?”

–Sorry,” Harry returned as he gave Ginny a quick kiss in greeting. –Not certain I could’ve cuddled her on my other hip and still kept a tight hold on Teddy here.”

Ron’s affronted look was enough to make everyone laugh.

–If you’re that anxious, why don’t you retrieve her yourself?” Bill suggested sagely.

–She’ll just think I’m treating her like a defenseless damsel,” Ron muttered.

–Will she complain if you happen to be in the sitting room when she arrives?” Ginny prodded.

–Probably not,” Ron allowed with a goofy grin. Then brushing the sand from the knees of his rolled up jeans, he took off at a trot towards the cottage.

Harry helped himself to the small shovel and pail that Ron had left behind and showed Teddy how to make a compact silo shape with damp sand.

–Say, that looks rather like Hagrid’s hut,” Ginny observed as she started adding a thatched roof with driftwood twigs.

Over her shoulder, Victoire was giggling playfully as Bill put the finishing touches on an elaborate castle with multiple turrets.

–Looks a bit like Hogwarts, that,” George observed as he plunked down between them. A small bucket sloshed with seawater before him, making everyone other than the children regard him suspiciously.

–Don’t you dare create a monsoon in the Scottish foothills,” Bill warned lowly.

–Give me more credit than that,” George protested. Surrounded by wary eyes, he mixed in a large shovelfuls of sand until the pail’s contents resembled porridge.

Or wet cement, Harry considered inwardly.

With considerable finesse, George allowed the mixture to drip artfully from his fingertips to create delicate battlements among the sandcastle’s towers. In the courtyard, he used the same technique to build a round fountain that seemed to be gushing water from its center. At the last minute, he added a winding path that connected the hollow front entryway to the nestled circular huts that Harry and Ginny had just completed.

–Now, all we need is the Black Lake,” George proclaimed with satisfaction.

Bill quickly engaged the two youngsters in excavating a shallow indentation nearby. Victoire preferred using her chubby hands to dig, leaving Bill and Teddy to assist with the shovels. Attempts to fill it with seawater met with only partial success as the water slowly drained into the sand, leaving nothing but a dark stain behind.

–Too much like a bathtub,” Ron yelled from the path as Hermione scrambled down before him. The rest of his words were lost in a gust of wind.

It was not difficult to discern by Hermione’s shudder and headshake that she found it too cold remove her cover-up. Ron shrugged as he unbuttoned his shirt to reveal a lithe, yet muscular torso.

Coming abreast of the others, Hermione complimented the neat row of tiny cabbages in Hagrid’s vegetable garden. Teddy grinned and pointed to the overlapping shells that rested to one side of the huts.

–That’s supposed to be the pumpkin patch,” Harry clarified. –Couldn’t find any pebbles that were the right size.”

Turning her attention to Bill’s vain attempts at creating a lake, she suggested, –Perhaps a channel from the ocean. I suspect that’s how the Black Lake was formed in the first place.”

–Maybe in a half hour,” Bill allowed, shading his eyes to look past the mudflats which were slowly being swallowed by the incoming tide. The foamy waves were still a good fifty yards from the miniature castle. –Don’t relish having to dig a trench that long.”

–I could get my--” Hermione began.

Only to be cut across by Bill, –Wands and sand don’t mix. Not unless you want to blind yourself in a gritty cyclone, that is.”

In the distance, sunlight winked on the still untouched shallows. The sky bore the washed out color of morning, the horizon joining hands with the steel blue ocean. The cry of the gulls accentuated the inescapable loneliness of the scene in Harry’s mind. Nothing but a strip of sand against the limitless water, a speck on the face of the universe.

It had been much the same when he first landed on this unsullied stretch of beach. The ocean had been a seething ribbon of black, the tidal pools resembling the footprints of giants. Suspended beneath the starry sky, his insignificance had been underscored as Dobby died in his arms. Death’s roller coaster had started to pick up speed as he learned of Ted Tonks’ last heroic acts over the next morning’s breakfast.

Remus’ appearance to share the joy of Teddy’s birth had been but a pebble in the vortex. In defiance of all odds, his happiness at being a father had sent the night winds to howling wildly. Fate had seen that retribution would follow on swift heels as so many heroes had fallen in that final epic confrontation with Voldemort.

A palatable sadness fell over Harry as he considered how genuinely ragged their victory had been. Even two years later, he still recalled the acrid smell of crumbling mortar and charred timbers. He took a deep breath of salty sea air, but the memory persisted.

Scrambling to his feet, Harry urged Ginny to follow him back to the house. There was no point in his melancholy marring the others’ enjoyment.

Halfway up the embankment, they stopped hand-in-hand to watch the waves come closer and closer, the water teasing its way down the long trench until it was sucked back out again. The lake would fill within minutes, Harry concluded. And soon thereafter, the ocean would consume their morning’s work.

I don’t relish watching the walls of Hogwarts crumble before my eyes, not again anyway, Harry mused as he caught one last bird’s-eye view of the familiar landmark before turning away towards the uphill path.

Hermione and Ron soon caught up with them.

As if reading his thoughts, Hermione whispered, –It looks very much like a regal castle again, you know.”

–Next time we’ll add the Quidditch stands that rise like sentinels on the back lawn,” Ron promised.

–Did it look suitably resplendent for the dedication of the new Astronomy Tower?” Ginny posed. –I wasn’t able to get away.”

Harry nodded through the sudden lump in his throat. Didn’t they realize how close they’d all come to losing everything on a tide of evil blood lust? Their dreams washed away like grains of sand…

Luckily, Hermione was only too happy to fill in the details of the ribbon-cutting Ginny had missed. –They’re calling it the Dumbledore Wing. Despite the fact that a wing denotes a horizontal structure as opposed to a vertical one…”

Well, Harry had to agree with her there. At least it was a fitting tribute to the beloved Headmaster without going into details of the final moments of his life. Thank Merlin, the original tower had been deemed unsafe and been completely demolished. If nothing else, it kept Minerva from placing a commemorative plaque at the site of Dumbledore’s last wretched moments.

Granted, it was the Headmistress’ intent that the small tributes serve to inspire the students to greatness -- or at least to remind them to take their Defense lessons seriously. Perhaps it would be so with the coming generations that hadn’t been present during the Final Battle. But those students who had been forced to evacuate that night needed no such reminder; the image of the smoldering hulk that had been their second home would be forever emblazoned in their minds. Just like it was for him.

Harry’s ruminations were cut short when he spied Arthur and François Delacour heaving a large hamper between them.

–Glad to see everyone’s here,” Arthur waved with his free arm. –We’ve collected a fair bunch of mussels for supper.”

–C’est magnifique over ze open fire,” Monsieur Delacour confirmed. –Zere’s quite a nest at low tide.”

Bill and George went to lend a hand as the children were rounded up by Gabrielle.

–Now, ‘oo wants to feed ze birds, first?” she asked as she flung a bread crust into the air. It was snatched by a squawking seabird which was soon joined by an army of cohorts.

–Fleeng eet, Victoire!” Fleur called from the flagstone patio where she was laying a festive cloth over a long table.

Just in time, Victoire tossed the scrap into the air only to back away in fright when the birds all converged at once. Teddy was more daring and threw a handful of crusts high. Gabrielle’s laugh rang out as two gulls scolded each other in mid-air while another dove in to snatch the bread from below.

Hermione hurried to catch up to Arthur and presented him with a cardboard carton. Arthur folded back the flaps and rummaged around, his face aglow with childlike delight.

He graced his future daughter-in-law with a radiant smile. –Thanks, Hermione. This is the best haul yet.”

–It’s nothing, truly,” Hermione blushed. –There was no point in setting it aside for Christmas. They were just going to throw these things away.”

Eyes wide with awe, Arthur remarked, –The Muggle Prime Minister must have an abundance of riches if he can toss things aside so casually.”

Hermione laughed with pleasure as Arthur retreated to a shady spot and hunched greedily over the battered box.

–What’d you bring him?” Harry inquired.

–Just some spare parts from number ten, Downing Street.”

–Designer junk, then,” Harry quipped.

–You could say that,” Hermione allowed. –The security guards thought I was barking when I rooted through the remnants of an old air conditioning unit just to retrieve the condenser.”

–So why aren’t you in a padded cell already?” Ron teased.

Hermione’s smile was laced with mischief. –I told them I had a nephew who liked to tinker.”

–Quick thinking,” Ginny concurred.

–The guard gave me a very understanding nod as if that strain of lunacy ran in his family as well,” Hermione supplied.

–Look, it’s contagious!” Harry chortled as Teddy toddled over and stood on tiptoe to gaze into Arthur’s treasure trove.

–Now, go wash your hands!” Molly announced as she caught sight of her husband holding out a grimy gadget for Teddy to examine. –Both of you! Everyone else, too.”

Bill looked up from dousing a pile of tightly closed mussels with a steady stream from his wand. –Washing your hands in sea water doesn’t count!” he added. –The salt just makes them sticky.”

Andromeda took charge of scrubbing Teddy’s hands at the battered outdoor sink. Sliding up beside her, Harry was pleased to see that she was looking more like her usual self.

With the sun at its zenith, the steeply pitched roof threw the back patio into deep shade. Harry tossed a shirt over his bathing trunks then managed to snag a chair between Ginny and Hermione.

As the plates of sandwiches and summer salads were passed around, Harry took the opportunity to ask, –How’s your new posting with the Prime Minister going? I miss seeing you in the Atrium -- and Amos looks downright lost without you.”

–It wasn’t easy leaving all that behind,” Hermione conceded.

–But you couldn’t resist a new challenge,” Ginny supplied with a knowing grin.

–Still learning the ropes,” Hermione acknowledged. –Never thought I’d be working among Muggles, though.”

–Who better to bridge the gap from our world to theirs?” George interceded from across the table.

–Trust me, there’s a lot about the inner workings of politics that’s like a foreign language to me,” Hermione admitted with unashamed modesty. –I’m just relieved that I don’t have to pose as the PM’s bodyguard like Kingsley did.”

–And why not?” Ginny demanded. –Your skills with a wand are fully comparable to a huge, muscle-bound gorilla!”

–Just be glad Kingsley isn’t here to take offense at your description of him, Sis,” Ron teased around a mouthful of fruit salad.

Ginny rounded on him like a wolverine defending her turf. –You know full well that’s not what I meant!”

George judiciously altered the course of the conversation. –If Percy were here, he’d be claiming he was the one who suggested Hermione in the first place.”

–Bloody hell!” Ron snorted. –It’s Kingsley who has connections at the PM’s office. Percy’s just covering for himself.”

–Perce’s tactics don’t fool anyone,” Ginny whispered. –I suspect he fancied that post for himself is all.”

–Right,” Harry concurred. Still he couldn’t help thinking it was Arthur who would’ve gladly taken a slash in pay to rub shoulders with Muggles -- and their contraptions -- on a daily basis.

Their conversation was put on hold as Molly Levitated the birthday cake into the center of the freshly-cleared table. From her position in her other grandmother’s arms, Victoire held out her little hands and cooed her approval.

No doubt about it, Apolline Delacour’s skill with patisserie even surpassed Molly’s. Amid turquoise meringue waves, a miniature rendition of Shell Cottage perched on a strip of coarse sugar sand. Even the shells which decorated the roofline had been captured in varied shades of pink icing. From the wafer chimney, a single tall candle protruded.

Just like a television aerial, Harry decided, even though such a thing was completely out of place in a wizarding home.







The trio made their escape even as they were calling for more photos of the aunts and uncles assembled with the birthday girl. Amid the storm of flying gift-wrappings, it was doubtful anyone would notice.

–It was right here that the blue light from the Deluminator led me.” Ron pointed to a clump of dirt of the far side of the potting shed which now bore a padlock to dissuade curious children. –Looks rather unremarkable now, but you have to imagine it with the glorious sunrise at my back.”

–Like a revelation of sorts,” Hermione supplied.

–Yes and no,” Ron stipulated thoughtfully. –It was terrifying, to be perfectly honest. Had no idea what the pulsing light meant. What if it were a trap?”

–Dumbledore wouldn’t have played you for a fool that way,” Harry insisted.

–Nor did the man see fit to provide any guidance,” Hermione groused under her breath.

–I finally decided that perhaps no instructions were needed because even a tosspot like me could trust his instincts,” Ron observed sardonically.

Remus had said much the same thing. The words echoed inside Harry’s brain: Trust in Dumbledore and the ideals which led him to raise the Order of the Phoenix -- not once, but twice. Their resistance would’ve dissolved into fractious elements, otherwise.

–A warm bed by the seashore still beats out the lumpy cot in our less-than-airtight tent,” Hermione sniped.

–Desperation had a bit to do with it,” Ron acknowledged. –Guilt was gnawing at my insides constantly.” Surprising Harry with his intuitiveness, Ron added, –I think it took that for me to really understand the remorse you felt after your blow-up with Remus.”

Right then, Teddy ran up with Ginny at his heels.

–He’s had enough with staying within camera range, I’m afraid,” she explained.

Teddy scrambled into his godfather’s outstretched arms as Hermione tendered, –Candid photos of children are always best. Especially when the photographer captures their true personality in a quiet moment.”

–He’d have to use that ‘stop-motion’ technique on this one,” Ron chuckled.

Hermione took a deep breath to deride Ron for his improper interpretation of Muggle technology but the expectant look in his wide, blue eyes brought her up short. –Oh, you were making a joke.”

Ron raised one ginger brow as he mugged for Harry and Ginny. –Not always clueless,” he emphasized.

Harry shared a private smirk with Ginny while Teddy started giggling at Ron’s overblown theatrics.

–See that patch near the path, Teddy?” Harry signaled out a spot before the wide herb garden which Fleur had planted to remind her of her homeland.

Teddy nodded avidly as his little hand grabbed the front of Harry’s shirt.

Recognizing it as a nonverbal question of sorts, Harry continued, –That’s where your father appeared out of the blue to announce that you’d been born.” Remus had made them think that their security measures had been breached by Death Eaters, Harry recalled silently. Or worse, that some tragedy had befallen the others who were holed up at Muriel’s. Aloud, he elaborated, –He was so ecstatic -- jumping for joy -- that we practically had to restrain him.”

It was at Shell Cottage that any lingering recriminations had been banished as Remus entreated Harry to be godfather to his newborn son. They’d captured a rare moment of joy in a world over-run with evil, a promise that things would return to normal. No wonder Remus had lingered drinking toast after toast to his good fortune. Or had the man somehow sensed his impending doom and was loath to embrace the horrors of the outside world?

Looking like a carbon copy of her sister, Gabrielle jogged up to join them.

– ‘Ere.” She extended the bunch of bright Gerbera daisies from Victorie’s package. –Fleur eenzists you remember your leetle friend.” She nodded toward the mound that marked Dobby’s final resting place.

With a small jolt at the passage of time, Harry conceded that little Gabrielle now stood as tall as he -- even though she was just fourteen. The same age as when he’d been drafted to compete for the Triwizard Cup.

The spicy scent of lavender was invigorating as the sea breeze ruffled the purple spikes covering Dobby’s grave like a royal blanket. Staring down at the crudely carved marker, Harry couldn’t help thinking that it was hardly indicative of the noble house-elf’s presence in their lives.

–We wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for Dobby,” Ron offered in a voice husky with emotion.

–I’d still be rotting in Malfoy’s dungeon,” Harry affirmed. –Without him, we would’ve never penetrated the Fidelius Charm to make it here, either.”

–Ron might’ve made it,” Hermione theorized. –Considering he’d been here before. But Luna and the rest of us would’ve been repulsed in mid-Apparition.”

–Would you have landed back on your arses?” Ron pondered lowly.

–Either that or worse,” Hermione added as her gaze traveled over the cobalt expanse of ocean beyond. Even in spring, the whitecaps seethed in a distinctly menacing manner.

–Dobby who?” Teddy broke into their musings.

–He was a friend,” Harry replied as he gazed into his godson’s curious eyes. –Not much taller than you, as a matter of fact. But he had the heart of a lion, a true Gryffindor despite his size.”

With a determined set to her jaw, Hermione dug furiously in her jeans pocket. –Must be in my rucksack,” she muttered as she flicked her wand impatiently towards the cottage window. In a thrice, her Head Girl badge shone in her hand. She unclipped the golden lion that hung from the base and handed it to Harry.

–Won’t the Headmistress scold you for not hanging on to your possessions?” Ron worried.

–Not this time,” Hermione insisted. –I’ll just have to send a messenger from the front gates like any other visitor.”

Allowing Teddy to slip to the ground, Harry guided the lion amulet towards the grave marker. A sharp twist of his wand and the figure imbedded itself into the bottom corner of the stone.

–Much more fitting,” Hermione approved.

A tap of Harry’s wand wound a bit of twine about the makeshift daisy bouquet. Crouching at his godson’s side, he placed the bundle gently into Teddy’s hands. An encouraging nod was all it took for the tyke to proceed with solemn grace to lay the flowers alongside the headstone.

Teddy loped back with a wide grin as he snatched up Harry’s hand. –Dobby angel now?” he inquired in a small voice.

–Yes, champ,” Harry replied. –Just like your mother and father.”

–We loved them all very much,” Hermione added as she took Teddy’s other hand and urged them back towards the rest of the party.






Like miniature suns, the chocolate frog wrappers sparkled among the remnants of cake frosting. Apolline shook her head in disapproval. –Zo many sweets! Zhey will spoil zere appetites for ze dinner hour.”

–Or give themselves a monstrous tummy ache!” Bill chuckled as he deftly wadded the stray bits of foil before the wind could make them take flight. –Leave the collector cards, though. Victoire will want to start a collection.”

–Wiz odd bits of cardboard?” his mother-in-law decried.

–Not just cardboard, Maman,” Fleur interjected. –Ze wizards within are magical, zee?”

She tilted the gilded frame that contained Dumbledore’s likeness and laughed merrily as the tiny figure clutched a party hat to its silver head.

–I remember him just like that,” Harry supplied. –Always the first to don a silly hat at Christmas celebrations.”

–You deed not tell me ze grandest wizard of zhem all was a guest at ze Burrow!” Apolline marveled.

Suddenly embarrassed, Harry mumbled, –I had occasion to spend holidays at school.”

Much to Harry’s relief, Bill changed the subject. –Will you look at this! Great Godric’s ghost, it’s the man himself.” With a triumphant grin, he held aloft the collector card which depicted the celebrated founder of Gryffindor House. –I would’ve killed for this one when I was younger!”

Amid the crush of bodies all vying for a glimpse of the most elusive of all collector cards, the prize was passed gingerly into Harry’s hands. Gryffindor’s portrait turned its head to look at them all in turn, his majestic red-gold mane fluttering in the sea breeze. Despite the artist’s considerable skill with the most translucent shades of tempera, the painting was flat and lifeless in comparison to the photograph of Dumbledore. Noting that he was the center of attention, the former Headmaster lifted his glass in a silent toast.







No sooner had they returned from helping set the dishes to scrubbing themselves in the kitchen sink did Ginny’s fingers dig into Harry’s upper arm. From their vantage point on the cottage steps, she narrowed her eyes at the sight of Muriel and Apolline deep in conversation.

Harry’s instinct for self-preservation urged him to swallow the ironic laugh that was bubbling up in his throat. –I take it you didn’t win the bet,” he mouthed into her ear just to watch her lips pout in displeasure.

–No, but Bill didn’t win either,” she hissed. –Dad put in a last minute wager that those two old bats would find common ground!”

From what snippets Harry could overhear, the two women were engaging in the age-old tradition of grousing how everything always changes for the worse.

George rolled his eyes as he allowed that Arthur had claimed the tres unpopular position that those two would actually strike up a friendship.

–Admit it, Dad,” he dared as a very chuffed Arthur happened by. –You secretly knew about Auntie’s youthful forays on the continent.”

–Paris in particular,” his father beamed. But before anyone could cry foul, Arthur judiciously observed that it was their own fault for not doing their homework. –After all,” he admonished, –when has Muriel ever been stingy with her tales? Long-winded, I’ll grant you; but stingy, no.”

Harry couldn’t help chortling at Arthur’s ingenuity.

It wasn’t long before Andromeda’s knowledge of the French fashion houses rounded out the group. Their unrestrained nostalgia was carried on the salty breeze as a second bottle of wine was passed around.

Without warning, Muriel rose from her lounge chair to announce she was ready for her afternoon nap. Like soldiers at attention, Victoire and Teddy abandoned their toys and scrambled to beat her to the cottage door.

–I’ll make sure they’re settled,” Bill offered, stretching his arms lazily over his head.

At the snap of the cottage door, Fleur offered to Hermione, –Eetz too bad your leetle sister was unable to join ze party. I deedn’t want to say anything in front of ze children.”

–My parents thought it best. It’s quite an arduous journey by Muggle means,” Hermione returned. –Although I’m sure they’d allow Victoire to visit our home for a play date.”

–Zhey are afraid of ze ocean?” Fleur inquired.

–Not so much,” Hermione admitted with a resigned sigh. –Too much magic, I fear.”

–Do they think we’ll be raided by the Improper Use of Magic Office?” Arthur chided. –Allowances are made for Muggles with magical offspring.”

Harry mutely relived those gut-wretching minutes after Mafalda Hopkirk’s officious voice had announced that officials would be destroying his wand shortly. Had his negative early run-ins with Ministry enforcers influenced Hermione? That had all been a set-up by Umbridge, he recalled with a heavy dose of resentment.

Clearly Arthur was recalled the same incident as he reassured her, –Despite past administrations, not all legislation is meant to be divisive.”

–A child’s imagination is so malleable,” Molly affirmed. –She’ll just think Victoire’s talking toys are part of their make-believe games.”

–Muggles have talking toys as well, Mum,” Ron supplied.

–They just have to be activated by mechanical means, such as squeezing an arm or pulling a string,” Hermione elaborated.

–Eez’s like mageek!” Apolline gave an easy laugh.

Realizing she couldn’t escape without a better answer, Hermione divulged, –Meaning no offense, Andromeda, but they were afraid bright turquoise hair was a little too memorable.”

Andromeda gave a gentle smile. –No offense taken, dear. It was much the same for Dora. Let it serve as an incentive for Teddy to master his morphing skills. That and the fact that he’s been clamoring to see the ferocious beasts at the Muggle zoo!”

–Oooh, but ‘Agrid will show ‘eem ‘eez bestiary,” Gabrielle suggested. – ‘Ee’z very gentle deezpite ‘eez size.”

–Absolutely,” Harry agreed. –Wish I could say the same for his so-called pets.”

Not that Teddy was likely to be intimidated. His godson had inherited Remus’ fearless curiosity. The same tragic combination, Harry worried as he shared a knowing look with Andromeda.

–It’s a right shame,” Hermione was quick to add. –I’m certain Niffer would greatly enjoy playing with Teddy as well as Victoire.”

–Niffer?” Apolline posed. –Your seezter eez named for a borrowing rodent?”

Molly hastened to provide the necessary explanations before anyone’s feathers got ruffled.

Sensing that she might have offended her hosts, Hermione was quick to explain that it wasn’t that her parents had anything against the wizarding world. Far from it; they were always supportive of Hermione’s accomplishments in whatever path she chose to follow. Nor did they have any qualms about her plans to marry a wizard. They were just determined to firmly live within the Muggle world as they’d always done. With the addition of Jennifer, they simply wanted to avoid the need for elaborate fabrications to an inquisitive child.

–Are traditional fairy tales banned?” Andromeda pressed. –No fairy godmothers that might actually turn out to be real?”

–That they’re accustomed to; it’s the unknown they can’t handle,” Hermione expounded. –I soft-pedaled a major portion of the recent conflict or they would’ve never forgiven me for shipping them off to Australia.”

–Parents are supposed to keep their children safe, not the other way around,” Molly interjected. –Likely, I would’ve felt the same.”

Hermione nodded glumly.

–It was a difficult situation for all concerned,” Ginny put forth with a pointed look in Harry’s direction.

–Can you just imagine if I’d told my parents everything?” Hermione shuddered. –I would still be locked away in the cellar.”

In the abrupt silence, Hermione realized her faux pas.

–Oh…no, I didn’t mean….please…” She swung her head around wildly, catching the bright green of Harry’s eyes then the cool blue of Ron’s -- followed by the smile that had frozen on Andromeda’s lips. –They… my parents….are still not accustomed to the wizarding world,” she implored.

–Not dropped in the midst of it like you were, eh?” Ron chuckled playfully. –After the Sorting, it was rather sink or swim.”

–Well…they would’ve never managed, of course,” Hermione stammered. –Without magic….”

–Rather like a fish out of water,” Andromeda finished.

–And they know I thought the world of Remus,” Hermione insisted in a lame voice.

–Of course, dear,” Andromeda soothed. –It’s always the same with Muggle-borns. Ted’s family wasn’t much different. They fully accepted their own son as a wizard but when it came to me, they were afraid I’d have green, warty skin and a tail growing out my backside1”

Harry joined in with Hermione’s nervous laughter.

–And there was absolutely no possibility of them ever meeting my family. Black, like the color everyone would be wearing to the funeral when they got done with Ted’s parents!” Andromeda noted wryly. –Luckily, Ted himself always saw the humor in awkward situations like that. Said it was really the same for families everywhere, just the trappings were different.”

–Small wonder Tonks -- I mean, Dora -- had such a magnanimous view of the world,” Hermione observed.

–Just like Remus,” Harry interceded. –They were well-matched despite outward appearances.”

–So your parents think the activities at a wizarding birthday party might stand out too boldly in a child’s memory?” Andromeda surmised.

Put on the spot, Hermione gulped uncertainly. –It’s just that I’m suppose to keep my magic to myself when I’m under their roof.”

–It’s your home, too, Hermione,” Ron asserted.

–True, but not so much since I only come home at the weekend,” Hermione explained. –For all intents and purposes, I’m on the verge of leaving the nest for good. Jennifer is the one who requires ‘round the clock attention.”

–Your parents just don’t want your little sister exposed to the magical world before she’s ready,” Andromeda attempted to bridge the awkward silence.

Hermione nodded a little too eagerly. –The Hogwarts letter is a rite of passage and they don’t want Niffer to feel she’s somehow inferior if she never receives one.”

At that Harry spoke up with conviction, –It’s just like my mum and Aunt Petunia. The rivalry between them was twisted into hatred when Petunia felt excluded.”

–Oh! I hadn’t thought of that, but you’re so very right, Harry!” Hermione’s shrill voice showed she was still feeling flustered.

–I promise I won’t take offence,” Andromeda assuaged. –It won’t be long before Teddy learns to control his appearance so he won’t stand out. Dora learned soon enough that if she wanted to go to out in the world, she couldn’t just depend on me to toss a glamour spell over her. Teddy already shares some of her independent spirit.”

–Just so everyone understands, it’s only temporary,” Hermione insisted.

At Andromeda’s gracious smile, Hermione finally allowed herself to be dragged off by Ron and Harry.

Once out of earshot, Ron commented, –I don’t recall you ever being so self-conscious around Teddy’s family. What gives, Hermione?”

With a heavy sigh, Hermione whispered, –I was so afraid she’d think it had something to do with Remus being…well, you know, a werewolf. Like he wasn’t treated enough like a pariah when he was still alive!”

–I doubt she’d--” Harry began only to be cut across.

–And why not? Tonks said she encountered a lot of unwelcome attitudes directed towards Metamorphmagi.”

With sudden clarity, Ron asserted, –You never told your parents that Remus was a werewolf.”

The guilty look on Hermione’s face was confirmation enough. –It never really came up in conversation and then it wasn’t like they’d actually get a chance to meet him…”

–I haven’t told anyone, either,” Harry concurred. –And it’s not for lack of talking about the man. It’s just such an insignificant detail about who he really was.”

–Hardly the sort of thing to proclaim from the rooftops,” Ron agreed. –Rather a private issue, when you get down to it. I don’t go around telling people that Percy has a large mole on his left buttock, either.”

Hermione tittered as Harry noted, –You just did, mate!”

–Well, I would’ve, if he really had one.” Ron laughed that he’d gotten them to take the mickey so easily. –It was just a hypothetical situation.”

Hermione’s eyes glowed warmly as she asserted, –Fine. I get it.”

–Does this mean your parents don’t want us playing with Niffer, either?” Ron teased.

–Of course not!” Hermione returned. –You and Harry can control your magic.”

–So you won’t be setting the pans to scrubbing themselves again while your mother’s back is turned?” Harry countered with a mischievous smirk.

–She’d already gone upstairs to feed Niffer,” Hermione protested. –And you have to admit there were an awful lot of pots that didn’t fit into the electric dishwasher at Christmas.”

–In other words, it’s just like at school,” Ron needled. –Don’t get caught breaking the rules!”

–How are you so certain your sister won’t turn out to be magical like you?” Ginny prompted as she joined in with the conversation.

–What makes you say that?” Hermione considered.

Ginny shrugged. –Magic runs in my family. Perhaps yours will find the same combination will bear fruit again.”

–All the more reason why we shouldn’t do magic,” Hermione insisted. –How else will we recognize the first signs from Niffer?”

–How did you discover you were a witch, Hermione?” Ron inquired.

–It couldn’t have come as a total surprise when McGonagall showed up at your doorstep,” Harry urged.

–Well, I knew I was different,” Hermione began hesitantly. –I just didn’t know why. The existence of the magical world came as a relief, actually.”

Ron gave a hearty laugh. –Did you think you were mental? ‘Cuz I have to say, in all fairness…”

Hermione swatted him playfully on the arm. –I didn’t know what to think -- or what to call it.”

–Details please,” Ginny demanded. –Harry’s bored us to tears with tales of his inflated Aunt Marge --”

–It was her ego that was inflated,” Harry clarified. –I just revealed it for the entire world to see.”

–Not to mention terrifying his cousin with the python at the zoo,” Ron supplied. –Neville could’ve taught Dudley a thing or two about facing his fears.”

–With me, it always seemed to center around my playthings,” Hermione capitulated. –Then as I got older, it was other cherished possessions like my books.”

–It couldn’t have been so bad,” Ginny observed. –Being an only child and all.”

–No, but sometimes the neighbors’ children would come ‘round and I’d find a page in a book that was torn. Or worse, a binding that had come dangerously loose after repeated readings. I didn’t want my parents to think I was too immature for such things, so I’d carefully replace the books on the shelf so no one would notice. Funny thing was when I’d return to them a few weeks later, the books were always as good as new.”

–Didn’t you think your mum had simply bought you a replacement?” Harry suggested.

–It crossed my mind. But I still didn’t have a good explanation for the lost toys that reappeared mysteriously the next morning after I’d turned my room inside out the day before.”

–That happens to everyone, wizards included,” Ginny dismissed. –I’m convinced accio means ‘I can’t believe I’ve misplaced the ruddy thing again’ in some ancient tongue.”

Amid the laughter, Hermione confided, –Not like this. I watched my Paddington bear wash into the culvert after I left him in the front yard. My mum insisted I was too sick to go out in the rain so all I could do was watch from my upstairs window. And before you say my parents bought me new toys, I assure you it happened too many times for that. What about in your case, Ron?”

–Huh?” Ron’s expression showed that he was completely uncertain what she wanted of him. –What?”

–What sorts of random magic did you perform when you were little?” Harry translated.

–It doesn’t work like that in all magical families,” Ginny asserted matter-of-factly.

–How do you explain Squibs, then?” Hermione shot back.

Coming to his sister’s defense, Ron volunteered, –What Ginny means is if we hadn’t been magical, we’d never have survived past age six at the Burrow. The pranks alone…”

–Actually, I was thinking of the brooms,” Ginny clarified. –When you and Hermione were learning to pedal one of those three-wheeled contraptions --”

–Tricycles,” Harry provided.

–Exactly,” Ginny continued, –wizarding children are already learning to fly a broom. Have you seen what happens when a Muggle tries to launch himself from a broom?”

–Nothing!” Ron guffawed.

–Muggles don’t have access to magical brooms,” Hermione corrected. –It’s a violation of the Statute of Secrecy.”

–You’d think so, but Fred and George once tried to talk one of the lads in Ottery St. Catchpole to give it a go,” Ginny confided lowly. –Mum still doesn’t know they borrowed one of her brooms.”

–Please tell me there were no legal repercussions,” Hermione fretted.

–According to them, all the Muggle lad did was kick up a fair bit of dust. Then his older brother came out and told the twins to stop teasing his younger brother like that. ‘Everyone knows poor Scotty’s too trusting for his own good,’ he scolded.”

–So why don’t we see more Muggle-borns zipping through the air?” Harry postulated. –Assuming they got their hands on an enchanted broom, that is.”

Ginny was ready with her reply, –Because they don’t know it’s possible. Just like they don’t believe that magic truly exists until some eccentric wizarding-type shows up on their doorstep.”

–By the time they reach Hogwarts and face their first flying lesson, they’re ready to believe in the existence of magic,” Hermione concluded with satisfaction.

–Exactly!” Ginny affirmed.

–Promise Hermione you won’t go trying out little Jennifer on a broom, Ron,” Harry suggested wryly.

–I’d never…” At the reproachful looks from all around, Ron acquiesced, –Fine. I promise not to smuggle a magical broom in with your mother’s cleaning supplies.”

Hermione nodded her approval then added, –No one will think anything if you tell Niffer a fairy tale or two. Just let her think it’s all make-believe like I did.”

–Hmmm,” Auntie Muriel snorted as she walked past the four of them. No one was surprised that she’d doubled back to join the adults once the children were napping. –What ever made you think a pet Niffler was an appropriate gift for a baby girl, Ronald?”

–It’s just a nickname, Auntie,” Ron explained.

Much to their chagrin, Muriel turned in her tracks and surveyed each of them through her lorgnette, the lenses making her beady eyes look more suspicious than ever. –I will never understand Muggles to my dying day,” she muttered unapologetically. –Girls should be named after ethereal things, not some over-grown rat!” She tottered away, shaking her head in disapproval. –Next thing you know, they’ll have an Uncle Unicorn in the family as well…”

Ron doubled over with laughter. –That’s it!” he was finally able to sputter. –That’s what I’ll have Niffer call me: Uncle Unicorn.”

–How will you explain that you don’t have a horn growing out of your head?” Hermione giggled.

–The same way Harry explains why he doesn’t fire crockery,” Ron retorted.

In the background George launched into a rollicking tale of how his best mate, Lee Jordan, had once Levitated a hyperactive niffler right into Detestable Dolores’ office. Gabrielle was practically overcome with laughter as he supplied, –The thing went into a frenzy at all those sparkly rings on her fat, sausage fingers!”