Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Chocolate Frog by L A Moody

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: With humble gratitude to J. K. Rowling for allowing me to build castles in her sandbox once more.




Thirty - Seven
Harry: The Belle of the Ball


He checked that the magical locks still held on the back gate at number twelve, Grimmauld Place. Being in the middle of the city, it didn’t have much of a backyard; just a bit of brick patio and an enclosing strip of overgrown plantings that spilled over the walkways. In the corner, an aged crabapple tree still clung tenaciously to life as its fragrant blossoms perfumed the cool afternoon.

Even though the townhouse’s interior was still in dank disrepair, the postage stamp yard had become Harry’s sanctuary of late. Thanks to the Fidelius Charm that hid it from view, he enjoyed relative privacy from the outside world which still accorded celebrity status to the Boy-Who-Had-Lived-Long-Enough-To-Defeat-Voldemort. The frustrations of the day fell away as he flew in tight circles around the chimneys that rose like silent sentinels from the steeply pitched roof. After a day confined indoors, his body strained to keep his Seeker agility in top form.

Inside the shed, Harry lovingly repositioned the second-hand Zephyr racing broom he’d purchased with his first paycheck. His fingers then sought out the enchanted whiskbroom hanging from an ancient nail. Retrieving the bundle of papers he’d brought with him, he cleared a tidy patch on the worn iron bench surrounding the venerable tree. A quick warming charm and the metal contours felt comfortably cozy against his backside.

Incendio, he intoned mentally, pointing his wand towards the lantern hanging on a low branch. The deepening shadows in the courtyard receded, while high above the indigo dusk embraced the lingering sunset.

The evening hours were just too precious to waste while his muse was waiting to take him by the hand, Harry decided. Yet he wasn’t ready to let Ginny know he’d found his way back to his abandoned manuscript. They were still in that tentative place in their renewed relations, each trying to rework his life around the other without losing himself in the process. He wasn’t prepared to concede that without her, he was only half-alive.

With that in mind, he reread the last chapters he’d scribbled over a year ago -- just before concluding that it was too painful to continue. The frustration he’d been feeling had transferred itself into the confrontations between his characters, lending a sense of realism that pleased him. Jotting down a few phrases he wanted to incorporate into their slow reconciliation, Harry turned his attention to more pressing matters.

Thankfully, the folder from Mrs. Canary was rather thin. He’d skim the contents, he promised himself. Just get the gist of those who sent him good wishes, set aside any that he felt should receive a hand-written response (not likely), and see to any personal notes from his friends.

A thick, creamy envelope with the Minister for Magic’s seal sat neatly on top, demanding immediate attention. A practiced whoosh of his wand sliced the flap just as neatly as any letter opener. He carefully removed the engraved invitation to the annual Victory Ball to be held on the evening of the second of May, the second anniversary of Voldemort’s downfall. In a way, it was also the second anniversary of Kingsley’s government, but the man was modest enough not to single himself out in such a manner. Unfortunately, that made Harry the undisputed focal point.

Bollocks! There was no way he could get out of this one.

He winced at the realization that he would already be going back on his promise to live less of a public life. Ginny’d have every right to take issue.

Unless…well, perhaps that would work after all, he concluded with a wistful smile. And he’d be able to finally present her with the gift he’d bought for her in Greece, but which had lain unclaimed in the back of his clothes cupboard ever since.







He broached the subject a few days later. –I need a favor of sorts.”

–What kind of favor?” Ginny asked warily.

–There’s this function I have to attend…”

–…and you need to work this weekend around it,” she interceded without looking up from the magazine she was reading. –I’m flexible.”

–I was hoping you’d agree to go with me,” he stammered. –Make it bearable for once.”

–Not exactly how one dreams of being asked out, is it?”

–It’s one of those big deals that’s meaningless to me.”

–What’s the occasion?” she asked as she caught his imploring look.

–2-V-2 Day.”

–Sorry?”

–The second anniversary of the second defeat of Voldemort,” he explained.

–Are you sure I haven’t a match that night?”

–Positive. Kingsley declared it a national holiday. One of his first official proclamations as Minister.”

–May 2nd, then?”

–Yes.” He dared a hopeful lift to his eyebrows.

–Sorry, I have a conflict.” At his crestfallen look, she added, –It’s also my niece’s first birthday. The Delacours are coming from France and all.”

–I didn’t think you liked Fleur’s family.”

Ginny shrugged. –Don’t particularly. But I’m looking forward to Auntie Muriel squaring off with them. George and I have a gold galleon riding on the outcome.”

–Surely not?” Harry couldn’t help sniggering. –Who’d bet against Muriel?”

–Bill said he stood firmly behind his wife’s family. So we made him put his money on the line.”

–Sounds a lot more fun than a formal-dress ball,” Harry concluded. He should’ve remembered Victoire’s birthday, he scolded himself inwardly. Hadn’t Ron arrived late to last year’s gala all aglow with the news that he was an uncle? Only his goofy smile had convinced Hermione to forgive him for having sent Harry to collect her the last minute instead.

–Besides,” Ginny rejoined. –I haven’t a thing to wear. The term ‘formal dress’ still sends shivers down my spine every time I think of those ghastly robes Ron wore to the Yule Ball.”

Harry joined in with her laughter at her brother’s expense. –I can tell you firsthand that being with the right girl makes all the difference at these things.”

–How would you know? You only had eyes for Cho Chang that night!”

–An error of judgment that I have since admitted time and again. You looked ravishing at Bill’s wedding…”

The bright spots in Ginny’s cheeks showed that Harry’s compliment had not gone unnoticed.

–Is Ron going to beg off this year then?” he considered.

–Dunno. But you could show up with him. Start the tongues wagging over at Wizard’s Wear Quarterly.”

Caught in the cross-hairs, all he could do was mumble, –Hermione would kill me.”

–Good point. Her aim’s pretty good when riled and her conjuring skills are first rate. Perhaps you could escort Mrs. Canary -- then you’d be a matching set!” Ginny giggled with glee.

–I was actually looking forward to going with you,” he emphasized weakly.

–How much?” she pressed.

She couldn’t be hinting that she wanted him to buy her a frock, could she? Harry didn’t dare broach the subject, knowing how prickly her brother could be about financial matters. –Enough to do just about anything.”

–I’ll think about it,” she countered with a mysterious air that gave him pause at the same time that it gave him hope.








Mentioning his predicament to Andromeda the next day, she surprised him by breaking into a throaty laugh.

Teddy chortled merrily in her arms as she eased him to the floor. Giving Harry a radiant smile, she offered, –What color do you want Ginny to wear?”

–I just want her to say ‘yes’.”

–She already has. She just needs to work out the details in her mind.”

–How are you so certain?”

She gave him an indulgent look. –I'm a woman, see.”

–Was Tonks like that?”

–Not so much. Dora liked to do things her own unique way,” she allowed fondly. –I greatly admired her for that. But my sisters and I were more traditional.”

–So what will make Ginny actually agree to go with me?”

–She needs to feel that she's properly prepared. And for that, she needs a gown that will turn heads.”

–Any suggestions where she should shop?”

–The Weasleys don't really shop,” Andromeda asserted with authority. –Don't forget I've become rather close to Molly.”

–You've lost me, Andromeda.”

–Ginny will be looking for second-hand robes --”

–I bloody well hope not! Most of those are beyond hideous -- not to mention out of style.”

–I assure you couture does not go out of style, it becomes vintage,” she appeased. –At least if you buy from reputable fashion houses. For all her narrow-mindedness, my mother always believed in the best for the Black girls.”

Harry’s expression conveyed just how uncertain he felt about the whole prospect.

Andromeda paused briefly as Teddy toddled over to the table and stood on tiptoe to plaintively request another biscuit. Her warm eyes twinkled as she confided, –You can't imagine I would hang on to the remnants of my past, can you? There are things that a mother passes on to her daughter.”

She had no trouble interpreting the slight lift to his right eyebrow.

–You're envisioning Dora as a rough-and-tumble tomboy? At times she was, but she also had a frilly, girly side -- even if she rarely got the opportunity to indulge it.”

Not just that. Deciding to speak plainly, Harry clarified, –Sometimes I have trouble recalling that you were once part of the Black trio.”

–The central part, as a matter of fact,” she allowed. –I won’t deny that Ted was a major influence in my life, but my side of the family wasn’t the monsters they’ve been made out to be. At least not at first…”

In her rich contralto, Andromeda wove a compelling tale of traditions held tightly among a close circle of pureblood families. Harry envisioned the sprawling Black home with its fading nineteenth century patina, its contours shabby in the unique manner shared by magical buildings the world over. After all, there was no need to modernize when conveniences were at the tip of one's wand. If anything, Hermione's blundering attempts to drag house-elves into the modern world had demonstrated just how entrenched the wizarding world was in its peculiar customs.

–It was a foregone conclusion that Father was disappointed at not having a son to carry on his name. Especially when his own brother, Orion, had sired two. So Bella, forever his favorite, had taken it upon herself to make up for the lack. She would be the one to make the Black name famous, she often promised Father -- even if she had to invade the exclusive sanctum of men to do so.”

Harry winced inwardly at Andromeda's words. How ironic that Bellatrix had done exactly that. Without a doubt she was the most notorious of the Black sisters. Bella's status as the pre-eminent witch among the almost exclusively male ranks of the Death Eaters was a great source of pride to her family. In light of his own cousin’s reputation, no one doubted that Sirius had betrayed his best friends to the same Dark Master. Who was left alive to confirm that it was nothing but a twisted farce orchestrated by Pettigrew?

Andromeda reminded Harry that it was not so easy being a second child. Though separated by only fifteen months, her older sister had always been bolder and more independent. Andromeda had been all but eclipsed among the budding opportunists of Slytherin House. Her dawning realization that she didn’t espouse the same set of values only made young Andie withdraw that much more into herself. Cissy, who was five years younger, worshiped Bella. And Bella adored being in the spotlight from an early age.

–There was an undeniable edge to Bella,” she elaborated. –As if she was secretly having a go at everyone's expense. Rebellious to the core, she was always the most provocatively dressed at parties, sporting a dangerous aura that was as alluring to wizards as it was off-putting to witches her own age. But Bella never needed friends; she made that abundantly clear. Her sisters would always be her loyal minions -- or so she ardently believed.”

Waiting until Teddy was out of earshot, Andromeda confided lowly, –Bella had a string of male admirers. Conquests, would be more appropriate. For had she not been very careful, those liaisons could have resulted in life-long consequences.”

–Married lovers?” Harry barely breathed.

–Not that I was aware, but she made no secret of her sexual exploits to Cissy and me. What you may find difficult to believe was that she dallied with Muggles just as much as wizards. Anything to shock the prigs who looked down their noses at the younger generation.”

–What about your own parents?”

–Father was abstracted as usual, his head stuck in some dusty volume more often than not. Mother couldn't have been as oblivious as she pretended, but she never said anything. I think she hoped it was just a rite of passage. So she'd take us to Paris once a year to garner the most breathtaking gowns for the upcoming social season. After all, her primary goal in life was to marry the three of us into wealthy, pureblood families.

–How I despised those endless balls. The same boring group of guests reshuffled at a different house every month. Cissy was awed at the cotillions, as she liked to call them. Romantic notions of a young girl who saw only the surface of things, not the rot beneath.

–Then one evening at the Mulciber's crumbling estate in Cumbria, the crowd was murmuring with anticipation about some new guests from abroad: Rodolphus and Rabastan Lestrange. Two brothers, two years apart, a perfectly matched set for the oldest Black sisters. What I overheard repulsed me, but Bella was intrigued by the very unsuitability of the pair. After an abortive stint at Hogwarts -- less than six months for Rabastan, the younger -- the unmanageable duo had been packed off to Durmstrang. Their parents went on about the superlative educational opportunities abroad; but underneath their bravado, we all knew the Lestrange boys had been quietly expelled at the Headmaster’s insistence.

–Nor had the strict taskmasters at Durmstrang reformed them as tidbits of their alleged exploits on the continent worked their way through the crowd. It was whispered that Rabastan had fathered twins with a young woman whom his parents found totally beneath his stature. She had been paid off handsomely just prior to Rabastan's return to England. On the other hand, Rodolphus was a great gambler, often amassing drunken debts his father would settle through intermediaries in the dead of night. Rumor was that he and another wizard had set out to duel to the death and friends had risked their own lives to intervene.”

–Why didn't the local authorities put a stop to it?” Harry interjected. –Surely the threat of Unforgivable Curses being flung about would lead them to investigate.”

Andromeda just shook her head. –Those blackguards were wise to that and had planned to use antique pistols in a fair imitation of Muggles. As it was, the other young man was shot in the thigh and had to be rushed to a Healer where he barely survived a case of full-blown blood poisoning.”

–And Rodolphus?”

–The other bullet barely graced his cheekbone, leaving the slightest indentation along the side of his face that I found my implacable sister mooning over. Granted many of these details were not common knowledge, but Bella couldn’t help regaling the salient highlights the next day. Or rather the version that Rodolphus wanted her to believe.

– ‘A pair of drunken louts manhandling archaic weaponry,’ I noted dryly. ‘There’s nothing remotely heroic about that!’ But by the sharp looks thrown at me by both Bella and Cissy, it was clear they wholeheartedly accepted Rodolphus’ sham of nobility.

–The memory of those events haunted me for days to come. Despite the disdainful looks the Lestrange brothers washed over the other guests that night, you could tell that Bella was the exception. As the despicable Rabastan moved in to engage me in conversation, I focused on my sister's movements over his shoulder.

–Like two birds of prey engaged in a ritual display, they approached one another warily. While Bella ran a bold finger across Roddy’s cheekbone, his eyes darted down to appraise the family emeralds that Bella, being the oldest, was allowed for fancy gatherings. The rakishness in his smirk was a clear indication that Bella’s neckline had also allowed him a preview of coming attractions, as it were.”

–They sound like two of a kind,” Harry noted.

Andromeda nodded. –So much so that our parents were not too thrilled with their obvious infatuation with one another. But since Bella’s incorrigible ways had alienated so many other likely suitors, she eventually wore them down.”

–How did you manage to pursue a match with Ted Tonks, if you don’t mind me asking?”

She gave a bittersweet laugh. –During the afternoons, of course. Right under their very noses. Bella knew Ted from Hogwarts. As the affable Hufflepuff Prefect, he was acceptable for a dalliance as her sly winks to me implied. ‘Don’t break his heart too cruelly,’ she crooned into my ear as she passed me in the upstairs hallway.

–But marriage was something else entirely. ‘Unrespectable,’ Mother called it. Hypocrisy, I thought to myself but was wise enough to not throw it in her face.”

–Wasn’t Voldemort growing in power during those days? I’m surprised no one tried to make a match with him.”

–It must have crossed someone’s mind as I walked into the tail end of an argument wherein Bella had been put out that the arrival of the guest of honor had drawn all the young men into the drawing room to discuss politics.

–‘What do you want with him, Bella?’ Mother hissed. ‘He’s much too old for you.’

–‘Funny, old lady Macnair didn’t say that when she matched up her niece with that sixty-year-old codger!’

–‘That codger was a former ambassador from a very wealthy family and he’s forty at most!’

–‘The Dark Lord is timeless…’ Bella mused, minus her customary sarcasm.

–‘Not as a potential husband, he isn’t!’ Father broke into the conversation from behind the open pages of the Daily Prophet. ‘Never bank on a revolutionary, Bella. He may seem like he holds the world in his hands; but when his government inevitably topples, there’s nothing but dust.’

–‘Listen to your father, for once,’ Mother scolded. ‘An undiluted bloodline is a priceless commodity that can never be taken from you.’

–‘Just look at Aunt Lucretia,’ Cissy sang out from behind me. She gave me a self-satisfied smirk at having effectively revealed my hiding place. ‘Everyone thought she’d made such a good match with those penniless Prewetts.’

–Needless to say, I left that all behind when I agreed to marry Ted,” Andromeda summarized. –The only thing I took from my old life was my clothing -- and that included the barely-worn evening gowns from the back of my closet. Not that I expected to need them in my new life, but I knew my daughter might one day -- if I was fortunate enough to have one. Maybe even a granddaughter…” She gave a wistful sigh.

–Did you tell those stories to Tonks?” Harry wondered.

–Not when she was little. Then she just liked to weave in and out among the crisp fabrics and visualize herself in the role of the fairy princess like little girls the world over.”

–I don’t suppose you have anything in Gryffindor colors?”

–Would it shock you if I did?”

–Now who’s the renegade?” he quipped.

–The color suited me, that’s really all it was. Bella always insisted on deep green or some variant. Perfectly Slytherin and matching Mum’s emeralds, two for two. It was only later that her obsession with black came to rival that of Severus Snape himself. With her fair coloring, Cissy favored pastels, mostly in shades of blue to accentuate her eyes.

–I was more open-minded. And as Ted often used to tease Dora, ‘Girls don’t always stick to their house colors. If they did, Hufflepuff House would look like a giant hive of bumblebees!’

–That always made Dora giggle into her little fist,” she added with a single tear sliding down her cheek. –How ever did we get this far afield, Harry? The last thing you expected was to have an old lady gush about her misspent youth.”

Harry gave a gentle laugh as he took a chocolate bat biscuit from the platter before him. –I don’t mind, really. Teddy seems to enjoy the company.”

Andromeda gave her grandson a encouraging smile as she kept his tower of blocks from collapsing with a well-placed Levitation Charm. –I just have to watch myself is all,” she whispered. –He seems to have so inherited his father’s contemplative nature that I often suspect he’s cataloguing my every word for later.”

–That last part doesn’t sound like Remus,” Harry remarked.

–No, he’ll have inherited that from Dora,” Andromeda chuckled. –Mark my words.”

It never ceased to amaze Harry that the tales of Andromeda’s youth always echoed elements of Sirius’ life as well.

In her own dignified way, Andromeda had been just as much a rebel as her older sister, Harry concluded, effectively setting the stage for Sirius to proclaim himself a new breed of Black by being sorting into Gryffindor. Such an unforeseen calamity had caused his family to disown him -- especially when his ‘perfect’ younger brother was effortlessly accepted into Slytherin.

Nevertheless, the seeds of change had been sown -- although it had taken Regulus a number of years to find his own way. In the end, he’d forfeited his life so that future generations might have a chance against evil. Such exceptional heroism and the sole witness, a humble house-elf, had been sworn to silence. No one had known Regulus’ true worth for nigh on twenty years. In a queer twist of fate, Severus Snape had embraced a similar path of self-sacrifice.

In the schism between the Black sisters, Harry found elements that could just have easily applied to his own mother and Aunt Petunia, not to mention Albus and Aberforth. Seems families everywhere were often intent on their own destruction from within.

As for her single-minded determination to marry Ted Tonks, Andromeda’s own daughter had applied the same template in her pursuit of Remus.






Despite the wall of silence that continued to hang between her and the Malfoys, Andromeda often talked about her younger sister as well. With only limited knowledge about his own parents, Harry looked forward to her nostalgic ramblings.

–Narcissa was determined to show the world she was every bit as good as her older, more flamboyant sister,” she confided to Harry as she refilled his teacup. –Unlike Bella whose goal was to make her mark among the very wizards who thought any female was second rate, Cissy resolved to be the embodiment of feminine perfection -- what we would call today ‘a maven of style.’ As if any normal woman could maintain that flawless facade for more than an hour at most.

–But Cissy didn’t have to do anything for herself. Even when she went shopping, the packages were Levitated by the shop girls, then Flooed directly into her house-elf’s arms who would uncrease her purchases and store them away in the cupboards.”

–Sounds like she hasn’t changed that much,” Harry commented.

–Certainly not in the years leading up to the last conflict,” Andromeda agreed. –Now….well I’m not so sure. Seems most of the Malfoys’ aristocratic friends ended up in Azkaban for backing the wrong horse.”

Silently, Harry mused that such a gap in the ranks of the rich and disdainful would soon be filled with new upstarts, but felt it best to keep his cynical thoughts to himself.

–Personally, I always wondered how Cissy was able to give birth to Draco without delegating the more onerous hours of labor to one of her household staff,” Andromeda chortled good-naturedly. –Sensing their unspoken competitiveness, Mother would often challenge Bella to be more like her perfectly docile sister.

– ‘Bella dear, what will you do when your husband asks you to redecorate?’

– ‘Don’t be a bore, Mother,’ Bella drawled in reply. ‘I’ll just bring Cissy shopping with me like you do.’

–As for me, I couldn’t help thinking that an innate talent like Cissy’s could easily be parlayed into a business, but my words of practicality were always like vinegar. Why that would’ve meant bucking Mum’s aspirations to see each of her daughters married into respectability. In her traditional mind-set, career girl was merely a euphemism for spinster -- maybe even one with unresolved lesbian issues.” She’d issued a snide chuckle at the last, convincing Harry that of the three Black sisters, only Andromeda had bothered to cultivate a sense of humor.








–I can’t believe you kept this,” Ginny pondered as she lifted the horn-shaped seashell from its place of honor on Harry’s mantelpiece.

Caught unprepared, he barely managed a weak smile. –Didn’t get much of an opportunity to shop for souvenirs.” Her downcast eyes urged him to elaborate, –Besides, I wasn’t sure whether you left it behind to make a point. Or just because it caught on your clothes as you changed.”

–A little of both. I think, deep down, I was certain it would be safe in your hands.”

He nodded wordlessly, recalling how she’d woven a transparent cord through the base and worn it as a pendant. Sultry evening dinners on the villa’s veranda leapt vividly to mind. The pearlescent color had contrasted against the simple violet frock she often wore. Or the cobalt number with the puckered neckline that caused the shell to undulate like the ocean itself in the hollow between her breasts. Harry felt his face grow warm at the carnal nature of his thoughts. In his fantasies, she had cavorted shamelessly in the surf like a mermaid. His embarrassment intensified as he felt Ginny’s questioning eyes upon him.

–It reminded me of those carefree days since neither of us though to pack a camera,” he mumbled apologetically.

What was he to say? That he’d worn the shell pendant as a talisman under his shirt during the months they’d been apart? That its soft presence reminded him of the satin texture of her bare skin?

Inwardly, he acknowledged that it had become symbolic of the joyous moments the two of them had shared before their paradise imploded. He’d worn it day and night for months on end, drying it tenderly as he stepped out of the shower each morning. Not unlike Salazar Slytherin’s locket, it had come to weigh upon him as their separation stretched from weeks into months and beyond. The despair had intensified in his breast until he’d finally had no choice but to remove the pendant. Even then, he’d stored it with gentle fingers among the folds of the Christmas jumpers Molly Weasley had lovingly knitted but which he’d since outgrown. Souvenirs of his past that he was too sentimental to discard. Only recently had he brought the shell out of hiding.

Not that he had any intention of baring his soul to Ginny -- not today, anyway. Perhaps when they were old and grey, and hopefully, still together.

She must’ve sensed some of this from the pinched look around his eyes as she slid her fingers over Harry’s own. –If the offer’s still open, I’ve worked it out so I can accompany you to the Victory Ball.”

–Excellent!”

–Seems Mum located a regular depository of suitable evening gowns. She has a good eye for such things.”

–Really?” Harry teased as he allowed his eyebrows to rise dramatically. –Have you forgotten the Yule Ball already?”

Suddenly on the defensive, she cried, –What was wrong with my dress? I was only thirteen, for Godric’s sake!”

Harry gave her a playful wink. –I was thinking of Ron…”

Almost immediately, she giggled into her hand. –I see what you mean. Those robes were horrid -- almost as vile as his mood the entire evening.”

–Hermione being Viktor’s date got caught in his throat.”

–He only had himself to blame for that,” Ginny harrumphed. –But in all fairness, those antediluvian robes were not Mum’s doing; they came from Auntie Muriel. She overheard Mum lamenting the need for formal wear and interfered.”

Having conversed briefly with Muriel at Bill’s wedding, Harry could understand why Molly had not found it so easy to sidestep the old thestral’s recommendations.

–It was an heirloom from Great Uncle Bilius,” Ginny continued. –So Auntie Muriel made it seem like a tremendous honor that Ron would be continuing his namesake’s legacy.”

–But Bilius was an unrepentant prankster,” Harry interjected. Hell, the twins had practically canonized the man. Judiciously, he added, –Your other brothers told me so.”

–Everyone knows Muriel has no sense of humor,” Ginny dismissed.

–Could’ve fooled me! The joke was at poor Ron’s expense.”

–I suppose anyone who wasn’t half senile would’ve seen that!” Ginny laughed. –Hermione made sure he wore something more presentable at last year’s event.”

Frankly, all Harry recalled was his best mate’s frenzied entrance. Although that in itself spoke volumes as Bilius’ robes were memorable in the extreme.

–Hermione chastised him for submitting to such humiliation for the sake of someone who’d never know. So she simply hired him an ensemble from a Muggle shop. Caused quite a stir when Ron couldn’t find a proper place to store his wand.”

That, Harry remembered clearly. In a thrice, Hermione had transfigured the breast pocket with the same charm she’d used on her infamous beaded bag. Ron had been beaming with satisfaction as his wand slid effortless out of sight.

–Besides,” Ginny elaborated with a wicked smirk, –those noxious robes have a new lease on life.”

–In the dustbin, right? An autumn bonfire perhaps?”

Ginny gave a silvery laugh at his overblown antics. –Luna spied them in the rag pile and fell in love with them. ‘Oh, they’re just the thing for Father,’” she mimicked in Luna’s breathy voice.

–Xeno may be eccentric, but he prefers cheerier colors,” Giiny added in response to the observation Harry was too polite to voice. –Luna was thinking of her father’s exotic crops.”

–Surely you don’t mean….?” Harry doubled over with laughter at the image of a garishly-dressed scarecrow guarding the dirigible plums. Finally, gasping for breath, he managed, –Does it keep the birds away?”

–Not exactly. Luna reports that they all line up along the fence and peer quixotically at the frowsy scarecrow. She swears she can hear their high-pitched laughter if she stands extra still.”

–That’s just priceless, Gin!” he wheezed as he wiped the tears from his eyes.

–We just have to be careful Muriel doesn’t accidentally overshoot the Burrow when she visits. We’d never hear the end of it if she made it as far as the Lovegood residence,” Ginny deadpanned. –Thank goodness, she’s as near-sighted as a flobberworm!”






–Why do you always let yourself fade into the background?” Harry asked as the house lay quiet about them. Granted, it was the sort of probing question Lexxie would’ve posed, but once he’d noticed Andromeda’s pattern he couldn’t help himself.

–Whatever do you mean?” she returned with a curious furrow to her brow.

–When you talk about your sisters, you’re there only as an observer. I can’t believe you hid in the shadows!”

Andromeda gave a dry laugh. –Not entirely. But I can’t say I didn’t take advantage of those two always vying for center stage.”

–And then what?” he urged with childlike intensity.

–My inner struggles hardly make for a riveting tale. Besides, it’s not the sort of thing that would entertain a small child.”

–I put Teddy to bed hours ago, in case you haven’t noticed. Unless you’re referring to
me?”

She gave a low chuckle at his devious machinations. –You know the gist of it already: I was the one who broke my mother’s heart. Rejected the birthright she’d given me -- as if it were a rare family heirloom. But I couldn’t condemn myself to stagnation in a loveless match, not when all around us people were happy at having found incomparable joy in one another. If it was my duty to increase the dwindling number of wizarding births, then I was going to accomplish it with someone of my own choosing. Mother couldn’t see that her ideas about duty and lineage were more akin to breeding thoroughbred horses than children.”

–The Royals always managed to do both,” Harry noted wryly.

–Not exactly the happy-go-lucky Muggle family I envisioned,” Andromeda clarified. –Though Mother would’ve approved of their stately homes. That was another of her concerns: how would I manage a household without any servants.

– ‘No self-respecting house-elf will agree to keep house for a Muggleborn,’ she insisted. ‘Have you fully considered that?’

–I had, but there was no point in prolonging the argument. She would never understand that my dreams of a simple life included a modest house that I could manage on my own. She only cared about my obligation to the proud, untainted tradition of the Black family; personal happiness be damned.”

The women in Little Whinging who gossiped non-stop about the Royals often expressed similar sentiments. Although in the case of his Aunt Petunia, he’d always imagined there was a bit of sour grapes mixed in as well.

–Did you ever tell that story to Remus?” Harry ventured. –During our last Christmas together at the Burrow, he made it quite clear there was no royalty in the wizarding world.”

–Seems a curious topic when the world was on the brink of war.”

Harry shrugged, –My borrowed potions text bore the inscription: Property of the Half-Blood Prince.”

–Isn’t it usually Muggle girls who pine for handsome princes?” she teased.

–Then they would’ve been sorely disappointed!” he shot back. –The ruddy thing had once belonged to Severus Snape. His mother’s name had been Prince and his father, a Muggle. Sarcasm has always been his stock in trade.”

–Is that what you think? That it was just a product of Severus’ caustic nature?”

–What other explanation could there be? Remus was in the same class at school and he’d never heard of such a title.”

–Likely not,” Andromeda mused. –But I was present when Severus was sorted into Slytherin House and he wasn’t at all like the others -- and not just because of his less that stellar grooming. Here was no pampered son who stood to inherit wealth nor was he the last of in a dwindling line of aristocratic forbearers who’d fallen on hard times. Severus had an intensity that translated into his studies, catapulting him to the head of his class. Rather as if he’d by-passed childhood entirely and disdained those who were still boys at heart.”

–So the others hated him for his success,” Harry summarized. –Hermione was often treated just like that.”

–Jealousy runs rampant among children, it’s a sad fact. And they were determined to show Severus that he was not part of their pack.”

–I often wondered whether Half-Blood Prince was a nickname.”

–Certainly has that essential element of parody. But a nickname is a badge of acceptance -- and Severus was destined to be the outsider… No, it’s more a lonely boy’s daydream of what his friends would call him if he had any.”







It took an extra week of coaxing for Andromeda to recount the tale that had been Dora’s favorite as a child. The promise of a bedtime story had Teddy snuggling under the sheets with his stuffed hippogriff.

My disillusionment with Slytherin House was complete by the time I returned for my N.E.W.T. classes. Yet other classmates were instantly suspicious when I tried to branch out. More often than not, it was just easier to keep to myself. Especially during those Hogsmeade weekends when the school disgorged all but its youngest.

Refusing to let myself sink into loneliness, I savored those peaceful hours which allowed me to explore areas of the castle at my own pace. As I was studying the portraits lining the North Tower one such afternoon, I was found I was not alone.

–I heard that one was detained for wearing women’s clothing,” a voice at my elbow offered.

Startled, I turned abruptly to find Ted Tonks, one of the Hufflepuff Prefects, grinning back at me.

I dismissed the ruffled collar that made the portly fellow look like a trussed turkey leg. –Fashions were just different in those days.”

–Just watch him carefully,” Ted insisted. –See how wistfully he looks at that portrait of the woman in pink crinolines.”

–Don’t be silly; that’s his one true love who died on the eve of their wedding.”

–That guidebook is rubbish!” he scoffed. –Distilled to make the lot of them seem respectable and heroic.”

–Or tragic at least,” I giggled. By this time, the chubby courtier had shot us a baleful look and shuffled off the join a lively scene in a public house.

–See what I mean,” Ted confided in my ear. –It’s that mutton roast that’s his one true love.”

Changing the subject before all the gilded frames emptied, I asked, –So why aren’t you with the others in Hogsmeade? Serving time for previous infractions?”

He shrugged self-consciously. –All the other attractive girls were taken.”

–So you’re slumming among the dregs left behind?” I retorted with a hint of pique.

–It may be the only chance I get to approach the true prize,” he professed. –You’re always surrounded by an entourage.”

–I don’t know what you mean!” I huffed in return. –I hate all those Slytherin elitists. Why else would I stay behind?”

–Then it’s not that the sights in Hogsmeade are too provincial for your taste?”

–I’m not that kind of snob.”

–Many are.”

–True, but that makes them hypocrites as well since they’ve gone anyway.”

–Perhaps to other adventures.”

–How would you know? Do you have a secret passion for reckless rich girls?”

He shook his head in dismay. –Let’s start over. I’m Ted Tonks.”

–I know who you are!” I protested.

He wagged a playful finger at me. –Not very polite.”

–Fine,” I capitulated. –Nice to meet you. I’m Andromeda Black; but I’m not very much like my sisters.”

–I was hoping you’d say that. I’ve wanted to strike up a conversation for a long time now.”

Our truce cemented, Ted sought me out in quiet moments, always away from the intrusive eyes of my housemates. Instinctively, he knew they would pounce on me if they saw me actively consorting with an outsider.

One day, he surprised me by suggesting that we go to Hogsmeade together. Easter was only a few weeks away and the whole countryside was just starting to bloom.

–It’s too pretty to stay inside,” he cajoled.

–There’s plenty of nice spots about the school grounds,” I asserted.

–Not out of sight of the first and second years.”

–Rubbing elbows with everyone else at Madam Puddifoot’s or the Three Broomsticks is worse!”

–Don’t forget the Hog’s Head!” he quipped just to watch me shudder in revulsion. –Tell you what: don’t even think of this as a date. We’ll catalogue the spring foliage for extra marks in that new Professor Sprout’s class.”

I was no longer taking Herbology, but I let the statement pass unchallenged. His enthusiasm was infectious.

Then he caught me off-guard with, –Be sure to bring your rucksack.”

–What should I pack?” I stammered uncertainly.

–Nothing. It’s part of the plan; you’ll see.”

I allowed that it was a peculiar, but innocent, request. So on the day in question, I packed an extra jumper and some Honeyduke’s chocolate and met Ted at the appointed hour.

From high atop the clock tower, we watched in silence as the last clump of students exited the iron gates.

–Now!” Ted urged as he took my hand and flew down the twisting staircase.

We arrived just as Filch was squinting at the antique padlocks. –Not another one,” he groused darkly.

–Two, as a matter of fact,” Ted correctly in a friendly manner. –Sorry we got such a late start.”

–Late, my arse,” Filch grumbled. –Do you think I don’t have anythin’ else to occupy my day?”

–Much obliged,” Ted issued once we were past the gates.

–Sorry to put you out,” I echoed.

Filch’s beady eyes took us in suspiciously. –Just see that yer both back in time. A late start doesn’t entitle you to extra time. Sunset still comes mighty early this time o’ year.”

With one last surly look, he returned his attention to the padlocks. –Now where did I put that lousy key? Have you seen it, Mrs. Norris?”

His solo tirade faded into the background as we trotted down the path. Once over the slight rise that hid us from view, Ted slowed his pace.

–It’s here somewhere,” he intoned more to the brambles at his feet than to me. –Ah, there beyond that fallen tree trunk.”

I followed his line of sight to where the thick line of trees parted to reveal a disused track. The neighboring meadows stretched like a tartan blanket beyond.

I stopped dead in my tracks.
This was not what I had in mind!

–Isn’t it a little early in our friendship to be leading me astray?” I protested.

Taken aback, Ted assured me that meant nothing of the kind. –There’s a Muggle road beyond. Leads to a small hamlet with the most delightful pub. My parents found it when I showed them this part of the countryside.”

I laughed as his naïve attempts to bring his Muggle parents to visit Hogwarts. –This whole area’s Unplottable. Doesn’t even show up on magical maps.”

–So we discovered. I didn’t know any better as a first year. But the road and village are clearly on the map; sorry I don’t have one in hand.”

–And if we get lost?” I countered. –We can’t very well Apparate back from a Muggle village. The Ministry will be on us like hornets.”

–I have a compass.”

–Compasses run in circles at Hogwarts.”

–But not once we’re past the castle’s perimeter,” Ted insisted. –Can you just trust me for once?”

–Best we avoid all types of magic,” I relented, stowing my wand inside my bag. –The Trace is sure to be picked up once we’re outside of Hogsmeade.”

True to Ted’s word, it was just a short hike to a country lane. Beyond the stone fences, the hills were dotted with fluffy sheep munching lazily on new shoots of grass.

Taking a reading from his compass, Ted indicated that we should follow the road to the left. The paved surface was much easier to navigate than the spongy ground and the few miles slipped away as we chatted about anything and everything.

Before we knew it, we were in the center of the village, if you could call it that. Three cottages and a two-story structure that housed the pub. The solitary red callbox at the crossroads seemed starkly out of place among its ageless neighbors.

Welcoming us into the pub’s cozy interior, the proprietress commented that it was heartening to see the hikers even earlier this year.

Finally understanding the significance of the rucksacks, I boldly supplied, –We’ve taken a gap year.”

–How very splendid that you both are going on to University then,” she gushed. –So many young people in these parts don’t. Will you be attending Glasgow or Edinburgh?’

Caught short, I turned to Ted for assistance.

Without hesitation, he volunteered, –Selwyn Collage, Cambridge. My dad’s a bit of a legacy there.”

–Me, too,” I blurted, all the while wondering whether those pedantic Selwyns who were such a favorite of Mother’s had anything to do with it. If anything, ties to Muggle academia implied that their wizarding roots might not be as impeccable as they always claimed.

After a hearty lunch of game pie and candied turnips that put Rosmerta’s offerings to shame, we set back. In the short time we’d been enjoying our meal, the feeble sunshine had leeched away, leaving the sky a leaden grey that accentuated the afternoon shadows.

Before long, a hay wagon pulled alongside and offered us a lift. The old horse wasn’t plodding much faster than we were, but it was immeasurably nicer to ride than walk. The wagon swayed so much I had to use one hand to keep my felt hat from sliding off as I didn’t dare use a Sticking Charm. I considered just stuffing it into my rucksack, but it protected my ears from the brisk air.

The cadence of the horses hooves was relaxing as we stretched among the fallen bales and munched on lemon scones and shared milky tea from Ted’s thermos. I’d never seen such a Muggle gadget and examined it in great detail now that no one was around to notice.

We offered to share some chocolate with the aged driver, but he just waved us off as he took a long pull from his hip flask.

–Mother’s milk,” he chuckled as he tucked it back into his pocket. –I’d offer you’s a belt ta ward off the evening chill, but neither of you’s look old enough ta not take a tumble inta yonder ditch.”

Ted joined in with the man’s cackle, admitting unashamedly that he wasn’t one for strong liquor.
So different from the braggarts in the Snake Pit, I remember thinking. They would never pass up an opportunity to show their manliness by getting stinking drunk.

–That’s the spot up ahead,” Ted announced, pointing towards the broken stalks that marked the trailhead.

–Are ye sure, laddie?” the driver posed. –There’s nothing but ruins in tha’ direction.”

–It’s the way we came,” Ted explained as he shook the man’s hand in thanks.

–We’ve a group of friend waiting for us,” I improvised.

–Well, I suppose it’s not a bad place ta start a roaring fire an’ tell ghostly stories,” the farmer acknowledged as he tipped his cap in parting.

Suddenly, it was much colder without the sheltering walls of hay. I shrugged into my extra jumper and tucked my scarf more securely into my jacket before zipping it up. It was an unexpected bonus to find an old pair of mittens folded into a side flap. Cissy would’ve scolded me that the colors clashed; I was just glad my fingers would stay warm.

The dark tree trunks jumped out at us as we took the meandering track at a good clip. I’d forgotten how abruptly dusk came at this time of year. The last thing we needed was for Filch to tag us for being late. I had no desire to find out first hand how much that man enjoyed doling out punishments.

–I sees ‘em!” Hagrid’s booming voice announced as we came into sight of the town outskirts. –That’s the last o’ the stranglers, Mr. Filch. Mark ‘em down!” Lowering his voice, Hagrid suggested that we Apparate the rest of the way to the gates. –Don’ go worryin’ about makin’ magic this close ta the village. Those sensors are long burned out. Don’t give Filch any excuse ta report yeh; he’s just dyin’ ta prove his mettle now tha’ he’s taken over fer Old Man Pringle. First evenin’ star’s liable ta break over the horizon any moment -- even though it still looks perfectly blue ta the likes of us.”

We both hesitated to break the rules so brazenly within sight of the castle, but Hagrid insisted it was the only way to appease Filch’s pocketwatch. –I’ll smooth things over wit’ the Headmaster, never yeh worry. Now concentrate and turn; I knows yeh both can do it.”

Reassured by his effusive grin, I surrendered myself to the sensation of being sucked down the drain.

The summons came just as I was leaving the Great Hall the next day.

–The Headmaster would like a word,” Professor Slughorn whispered lowly. –I trust you know the way.”

He leveled a reproachful look at me that indicated I should know why -- only I didn’t. I’d never been summoned to the Headmaster’s office, although everyone knew the impassive stone gargoyles which guarded the entrance.

The statutes recognized me and waved me through. I found Ted was already seated before the massive desk.

Dumbledore had only just taken over as Headmaster and I still thought of him as my Transfiguration teacher, one who had always complimented my efforts. Today, he looked down his crooked nose at me with an unreadable expression.

–I had not expected your name to come up, Miss Black,” he began. –You’ve always demonstrated a restraint sadly lacking in your older sibling and more common sense than your younger sister. And as for Mr. Tonks, I expect my Prefects to know that it’s a breach of school rules to wander so far afield during a Hogsmeade outing.”

I stole a look at Ted out of the corner of my eye.
Had he known we’d run afoul of Dumbledore’s magical sensors?

–I know you’re both very nearly of age,” the Headmaster continued, –and at least had the decorum to not display your magical talents in view of a Muggle settlement…which is more than I can say for the others who’ve come before me today. But I’ll remind you that while you’re students under this roof, you’re obligated to follow the rules.”

–I didn’t think--” Ted began only to be cut across.

–Obviously not!” Dumbledore growled. –Tell me, are the rooms at the Three Broomsticks not good enough for you?”

I gasped as I felt the color rising to my cheeks.

Ted looked down at his folded hands and shook his head. I could tell that his face was flushed with embarrassment as well. Somehow, he found the courage to meet the Headmaster’s stern expression. –That was never my intention, sir. We just wanted some time to ourselves.”

Coming to his aid, I added, –Away from those dreadful gossips in Slytherin House.”

–It was perfectly innocent,” Ted insisted. –You can search my memories if that’s what it takes to convince you.”

With a pinched smile, Dumbledore asserted, –That won’t be necessary. I’ll be the first to admit that a leisurely stroll among the heather is hardly a crime. And some of the surrounding villages are certainly picturesque. Unfortunately, parental permission slips only extend as far as Hogsmeade village; the school could be held responsible if anything were to happen to you when you wandered afield… Why was it so essential that you get away from your classmates?”

I could feel the intensity of Dumbledore’s sapphire eyes upon me so I did the only thing I could: I looked away.

–I can’t offer to help you if you don’t confide in me just a little bit,” Dumbledore sighed.

–With all due respect, sir,” Ted supplied. –I stand ready to pay the price for my poor judgment.”

–I see,” Dumbledore acknowledged. –What about you, Miss Black, did you propose the itinerary yourself?”

Before I could reply, Ted cut in, –No! It was all my idea. ‘Meda didn’t suspect a thing.”

It was the first time he’d called me that and I liked the intimacy of it, but Dumbledore broke into my thoughts almost immediately.

–Is this true?” he prodded. –Were you so easily led astray by a few bits of flattery? Or was Mr. Tonks intent on demonstrating that he’d found a gap in the school’s defenses?”

–That’s it!” Ted insisted. –I was grandstanding; showing that I could fit the ‘bad-boy’ image of Slytherin House.”

–An astute observation,” Dumbledore noted dryly. –I’d be tempted to award you House points were it not a clever lie.”

Bolding leaning forward in his chair, Ted countered, –Unless you’re employing a wordless Legilimency spell, you can never be certain.”

I was shocked that Ted would take such a confrontational stance with the Headmaster, but Dumbledore just narrowed his eyes. –Can’t I?” he dared. –Were you attempting to woo Bellatrix or even Narcissa, that plan of action might very well succeed. But I sincerely doubt that Andromeda shares her sisters’ taste in men. Otherwise, she’d never have taken up with a Muggleborn such as yourself. Please forgive my frankness, but you left me no choice.”

–He’s right --” I stammered.

–No, ‘Meda, you don’t have to say a thing. It’s none of his ruddy business.”

–Anything and everything concerning this school is my business,” Dumbledore reminded us rather forcefully.

–This doesn’t concern anyone but Andromeda and myself,” Ted affirmed.

–You’re fortunate I have an endless reserve of patience, young man,” Dumbledore returned. –But I guarantee you, I am more stubborn than either of you.” Once again, he turned to me, –Is there something you’d like to add, Andromeda? After all, you know your family much better than I.”

–I just don’t want to have to endure my housemates tarnishing everything to do with Ted,” I allowed. It sounded like such a puny excuse in my ears. –They have no right to dictate who my friends should be.”

–Very succinctly put,” Dumbledore confirmed. –And being the gentleman that he is, Mr. Tonks didn’t want you suffer on his behalf.”

The silence hung in the air while Dumbledore steepled his long, white fingers. I didn’t dare look in Ted’s direction, convinced that the Headmaster could likely read every nuance.

Then with a lift of his graying eyebrow, Dumbledore added, –The solution to your problem is to simply not see one another.” At the shocked expressions on both our faces, he zeroed in for the kill, –But since that hasn’t occurred to either of you, then I reason that you’re both determined to weather the storm.”

–There shouldn’t be a storm,” Ted contended. –Not at school. Save that for after we graduate.”

–Assuming you’re still a couple,” Dumbledore interceded wryly.

Finding my voice at last, I defended, –That’s not as unreasonable as you make it out to be, sir.” Looking over at Ted, I found he was smiling at me.

–So let me get this straight,” Dumbledore pronounced, his robes swirling from side to side as he paced behind his desk. –You wish the world to go away until you’re ready to face it, even if it means bending the rules in the meanwhile. And by confiding in me, you’ve now made me a co-conspirator.

–What would you say if I told you of a secret place within the castle walls where you could meet in absolute privacy without breaking any rules? An ancient magic that could be configured to your own specifications? Why you could spend the afternoon strolling on a peaceful beach if you phrased your entreaty properly! The only thing it can’t conjure is other people to round out your experience. Wouldn’t that be ideal?”

Before either of us could reply, he stopped short in his manic pacing. –But I won’t,” he pronounced with finality. –This school is not an escape from the outside world, but rather a microcosm of the same. I won’t deny that the prejudice you two may face is unjustified, but I can’t shield you from that. Consider the reactions of your classmates to be a dress rehearsal for the outside world. It’s a harsher punishment than I could ever devise.”

And with that, he dismissed us.


Noticing that Teddy had fallen fast asleep, they tiptoed into the hallway. In the last moment before Andromeda’s wand dimmed the lights, Harry would’ve sworn that Dumbledore’s likeness in the wallpaper border was actively listening. Probably on the alert for when his name was mentioned.

–The old man was right, of course,” Andromeda confided as they worked their way down the stairs. –It was over a year later that I finally felt confident enough to meet Ted for our first real date away from the shelter of Hogwarts. And only then because Mother was engrossed in organizing Bella’s sumptuous wedding to that irredeemable Rodolphus. Even Cissy was too intent on the fractured fairy tale trappings to notice I had sneaked away for the afternoon. Need I tell you that my closest family members boycotted my wedding to Ted?

–When Mother passed away not five years later, I couldn’t help thinking the anguish I’d caused had been the start of her downturn. Not even Cissy’s triumphant engagement to Lucius was enough to boost her failing health for long. But it was just the guilt talking. The Healer’s conclusion was that the Dragon Pox Mother had survived as a child had lain dormant within her tissues waiting to attack anew.”