Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Story of Ron and Hermione by WeasleyFamilyLove

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

This is my first attempt at writing creatively. Ever. So I'm open to comments and suggestions and I hope that the story is okay. The warnings are just to be safe.

Disclaimer: These characters belong to J.K. Rowling. She is a genius and I thank her for giving us such beloved characters.
Chapter Notes: Chapter One of Three. I'm not very good at naming things so if you can think of a better title then I'm all for it.

Again I've never written anything like this before so please let me know what you think.

Disclaimer: These characters belong to J.K. Rowling. She is a genius and I thank her for giving us such beloved characters.
Chapter One: The Early Years

I look at myself in the mirror and for the first time in a long time, I’m pleased with the way I look. Smartly dressed in a sundress and cardie but not in a prudish sort of way. It’s perfect. I know Ron will think so.

Ron… the thought of our first real date since the war ended makes my stomach flip uncontrollably. I should be used to the butterflies by now though, he always had that affect on me. And it’s not like we haven’t hung out these last couple of months. Or snogged a bit for that matter.

But this date has been a long time coming because it was important for both of us to wait a bit. The Weasleys buried Fred a couple of days after Voldemort was defeated in a combined funeral for their son and Tonks and Lupin. I still haven’t gotten used to the fact that they’re gone, especially since George and Teddy are such strong reminders of those we lost. Ron was inconsolable for a couple of weeks, but I made sure I was there for him just like he was there for me during Dumbledore’s funeral. Just like he’s always been there for me.

I waited to get my parents from Australia until I knew he was okay. They were safe there anyway and even though I really wanted to see them again, I knew I had to wait. And I did, for about a month, until one day he came up to me and asked if he could join me when I decided to go. I knew it was time.

Since then things have gotten relatively back to normal: or as normal as it can get post-war. We’ve all started to laugh again without stopping to think if it’s appropriate to do so. And I’m going back to school with Ginny in a couple of weeks to finish my 7th year, which will definitely be a welcome distraction. But there are still nights when I wake up in a cold sweat, reliving scenes from the war that are impossible to erase. We all have these nightmares. It’s something that will haunt our dreams for the rest of our lives. It’s how we deal with the trauma that matters.

Snapping out of the gloomy reverie that settled over me while thinking over the last couple of months, I notice I’ve been staring at the scar on my neck from her knife. Lately I’ve come to terms with it although I don’t think I’ll ever get over why I have this damn thing in the first place. But it’s not an ugly disfigurement from a deranged woman anymore. Now it’s just a reminder that I was lucky enough to survive. That’s more than I can say for her.

I smirk as I remember Mrs. Weasley finally defeating her. She was brilliant. It’s not hard to see where Ron’s bravery comes from.

Knock-knock-knock.

Ron…

My stomach does an extra somersault, like I really needed another one. I run to the door and pat myself down once more before opening it.

I smile.

“Wow, Hermione. You look perfect.”

I knew it.
________________________________________________________________________

Harry is standing next to me at the alter looking debonair as usual. I feel a little uncomfortable in my suit but it’s okay, because today is for me and Hermione.

Not too big, not too small; another perfect wedding at the Burrow. I look around at the faces staring up at me and with a pang of remorse I think about all those who can’t be here. Tonks should be sitting over there with Lupin, bouncing an impatient Teddy on her lap as they smile up at me. And Fred should be sitting over there, next to George, going over their plans for the firework show after dinner while giving me a ridiculous wink and thumbs-up. Mad-Eye should be in the back, swigging from his flask with that crazy eye roving all over the place: constant vigilance. Dumbledore should be the one to officiate with his eyes twinkling at us in that knowing way. I’d even welcome Colin Creevey and Dobby. Hermione definitely would have wanted Dobby here.

I shake my head a little attempting to loosen these thoughts from my mind. But they are here in some ways. It’s not just a feeling I have like they’re watching over us but it’s reflected in the faces of all the people here who have survived. We survived because of them. They may be gone but they certainly aren’t forgotten and I am eternally grateful.

I hear the music start up and Ginny walks down the aisle. I glance at Harry and see nothing but pride on his face. They married a few months ago and I’ve never seen him so peaceful. Ginny gets up to us and pats me on the back. I smile at her then turn my head and my breath gets caught in my throat.

Her beauty never ceases to amaze me. I take in everything about her as she walks down the aisle. Her dress has some sort of lace work weaved into it, but in a subtle way. Her bouquet is made up of all the flowers she loves. I know all their names but I can’t for the life of me think of them at the moment because my brain can’t seem to function properly.

I take in the ring on her finger, I knew it was perfect the second I saw it. My eyes travel up her arms to the nape of her neck. I start to think about all those times I kissed that neck but stop myself because this is definitely not the moment for that. Her lips are spread in the most beautiful smile I’ve ever seen. The same smile that still makes me weak in the knees after all these years.

She gets closer and I can see the light smattering of freckles along her nose that she hates. I’m not sure why she hates them when she loves mine. Finally our eyes meet and I couldn’t look away even if I wanted to. She gets up to the alter and her dad gives her a peck on the cheek as his eyes tear up. She steps up to me and takes my hand, our fingers entwined.

I don’t need to ask if she’s ready. We’ve been ready for this for years.

We turn to the officiator and he starts the ceremony and all I can think is, “I can’t wait to call Hermione my wife.”
________________________________________________________________________

Ron and I finally have gotten some time to ourselves it seems since our honeymoon. It’s been a hectic couple of years since the wedding. Marriage has been great of course and it’s not like we haven’t had any time for each other but there have been minor hiccups along the way. An occasional fight reminiscent of our school days. Weeks when sometimes life just feels a little too monotonous. But the hardest part is the long nights at work for us both.

Ron is working so hard as an Auror and I know he loves his job. But sometimes there are nights when he wishes he was back at Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes with George and I don’t blame him. They’ve gotten a lot closer since Ron worked there after school and I know how much he misses it. But Ron has a really important job now. Voldemort may be gone but his followers aren’t. There are still wizards out there obsessed with the Dark Arts and all that purification nonsense. Some nights he doesn’t make it back on time and my heart clenches. I talk to Ginny for hours until he comes home. He always comes home.

As for me, my career is really taking off. I’m working in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures but I’ve been offered a job at the Department of Magical Law Enforcement when I’m ready to move on and I’m seriously considering it. I’ve been working late, trying to create and improve more laws for house elves and I recently started taking some classes to prepare for the Magical Law Enforcement. So getting some alone time with Ron has been extremely difficult.

I had been waiting for this night all week and finally it arrived. We were going to go out to a nice restaurant and then catch a movie but I decided to cook for him instead then do the movie later. It was one of my better meals as my cooking has improved since Molly gave me her recipes. Ron surprised me though by insisting on making the dessert. He’s not a bad cook himself nowadays.

I was so impressed that we never made it to the movies. Now we’re in our comfortable bed, my head is resting on his chest. I take in his steady heartbeat as he sleeps and I revel in the warmth of our bodies under the covers. I smile and think it’s all been worth it just to have this moment.
________________________________________________________________________


Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump…

I look around the tiny room in St. Mungo’s as the sound of our baby’s heartbeat seems to reverberate against the walls. This isn’t the first time I’ve been here with Hermione nor is it the first time I’ve heard our baby’s heartbeat. But today is the day we find out if it’s a boy or a girl and as my gaze falls upon a beaming Hermione, hands grasping mine, I can’t help but grin while happy tears threaten to fall.

Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump…

I take in the room again as I attempt not to tear up. It’s full of all these Muggle contraptions (Dad would have a field day if he was in here) and even though I’m used to them by now, I still marvel at how Muggles get by with just these machines. I remember Mum, Fleur and Ginny discussing the spells the Healers perform for everything when it comes to pregnancy and a small part of me is dying to take the easy way out. We could have found out the sex of the baby weeks ago but Hermione had insisted on going through this the Muggle-way so her parents could feel more included in the process and who was I to argue? Actually I was quite intrigued at the thought of it. Now I’m just full of anticipation. I look on the little screen that shows my developing son or daughter and I suddenly realize that my own heartbeat is now synched up with the baby’s. It’s an exhilarating feeling.

Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump…

The Healer turns to us and asks if we’re ready. We nod, unable to articulate words because the joy is so overbearing.

Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump…

“Congratulations… it’s a girl!”

Thump-thump, thump-thump…

Hermione and I look at each other, tears flowing unabashedly now.

It’s a girl…

She’s a girl…

Our baby girl.

Thump-thump…
________________________________________________________________________

I look out the window of our kitchen and see Rosie is out playing in the yard. She’s perfect. She has the trademark Weasley red hair but it’s curly and tame. She looks like Ron but she has my eyes and smile. I couldn’t ask for a better daughter. She turns to look at me and points in the distance.

“What’s wrong with Daddy?”

I walk outside to see what she’s talking about and I shriek. Ron is lying on the ground in the distance not moving. I tell Rose to get in the house and I run to Ron. I turn him over and look into his eyes but he’s gone. His pupils are empty and not seeing and I let out a sob.

Suddenly I’m thrown on the floor in a familiar room that I never wanted to see again. I keep my eyes crammed shut because I can’t bear to look at this place a second longer. I can hear her yelling obscenities at me as she sends another curse at my body. I let out a horrid scream as the pain cascades through me and I start to cry. Where is Ron? Why isn’t he here to save me this time?

I open my eyes. Has it stopped? No, that crazy woman is still there, her hair seems to cackle as she looks at me with those cold, bulging eyes. “It’s too late for you, Mudblood.” She sends the Killing Curse at me and I scream…

I bolt upright in bed and take in large gasps of air. It was just another nightmare. Not unusual as Ron and I both have them about twice a month but I will never get used to them. I put a hand on my stomach and feel the baby kick, not in an angry way but more as a reassurance. I relax and relief washes over me. The war was a long time ago, this is life now and I thank my son for that reminder.

I know it’s a boy even though this time Ron and I agreed to wait to find out the sex. But this pregnancy is different than with Rosie and I know in my heart that we’re going to have a son. I can’t wait for Ron to meet him. I can just see Ron bursting with pride as he teaches his boy the fine art of Quidditch (he already got Rosie a kiddie broom and was ecstatic about it). I look forward to the day that Ron gets to give his boy advice only a man can give to his son, although I hope he’s learned a little more about girls than he used to. So many possibilities about our family’s future flood my mind but I ward them off because now is the time to rest.

I feel my son give another kick and I turn to look at Ron. I don’t think I woke him this time so I close my eyes but he surprises me by putting his hand on mine.

“You alright, love?”

As long as I’m here with you, always.
Chapter Endnotes: Chapter Two is ready and waiting for approval.