Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Turning Point by Dracosgirl1992

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
‘Remind me again why we had to be here so early, Moony?’

‘Because, Padfoot, you always moan about us never getting a good compartment.’

Sirius ran his hand through his dark hair and replied, ‘Ahhh, I see the logic behind your thinking, Moony.’

Remus smiled and pointed towards the end of the train. There were two figures; one was tall and lanky and the other slightly shorter. ‘There they are, Padfoot. Let’s not keep them waiting.’


‘About time you two!’ said James, his hazel eyes twinkling with excitement at the prospect of another year of mischief making with his best friends. As ever, his round glasses were perched upon his straight nose and his jet black hair was as messy as it was on his first day at Hogwarts.

‘I’ll have you know, Prongs,’ said Sirius, planting his hands on his hips. ‘We are all way too early for the train so you don’t have the right to badger me for being late.’ He frowned at James for a few seconds and then a huge grin spread across his face. He clapped his friend on the shoulder.

‘You all right mate?’ laughed James.

‘Never better, my dear Prongs.’ Sirius slung his arm around Peter’s shoulders and pulled him towards the train. ‘So, Peter, how was your holiday?’

‘It was okay...’

James turned to Remus. He held his hand out and shook his hand. ‘How are you, Remus?’

Remus shrugged. ‘I’m fine. Summer has been a bit boring, nothing eventful...’

James eyed his friends face. Remus’ face was littered with faint scars, souvenirs of his condition. Dark circles hung beneath his green eyes. His sandy hair seemed to hang limply around his face, as if the life had vanished from it. Still holding on to Remus’ hand, he pulled his friend closer so he could whisper in his ear for Sirius and Peter were dawdling behind them.

‘Don’t lie to me Remus, I know you’re not fine. Those scars seem worse than the last time I saw you.’

Remus sighed and hung his head. ‘They’re getting worse. The transformations, I mean...’

James let go of his hand and put his hand on Remus’ shoulder. ‘Well, you know we’re all here for you mate.’

Remus looked up and smiled at James. He could be a pig-headed idiot at times, but he was one of the best friends he had ever had. ‘Thanks, James.’




‘Remus! REMUS!’ yelled a voice.

Remus spun around and saw Lily Evans running down the carriage towards him. He smiled as she came to a halt in front of him, clutching a stitch in her side. She tried to smile back but it just looked like she was grimacing in pain. She hasn’t changed a bit, thought Remus. Her red hair hung in loose curls past her shoulders. Emerald green and sparkling, her eyes stood out against her pale skin.

‘Are you okay, Lily?’

She straightened up and smiled properly. ‘I’m okay thank you, and yourself?’

‘Oh, I could be better,’ replied Remus, as they set of down the train to the Prefects carriage.

‘Have you been ill again?’ she questioned. ‘You look like you haven’t had a decent nights sleep all summer.’

Remus suddenly felt like his face was on fire. He always had trouble explaining himself when anyone asked about his ‘illness’. He found it even harder with Lily. She always seemed to know more than she ought to.

‘Not exactly, Lily, you see – ‘

She held up a hand. ‘It’s okay. You don’t have to say anything. I know you’ll tell me when you are ready. I’m here if you want to talk.’

Remus looked into her eyes and nodded. ‘I’ll keep that in mind, Lily. Thank you.’





James had always loved the train ride to and from Hogwarts. He loved the change in scenery from the neat fields to the wild and out of control moors. He loved the atmosphere. But he loved the time he spent with his friends most of all. He knew that with Lord Voldemort and his followers, each moment he spent with them was to be treasured.

That was why this year he was going to do some growing up and show Lily that he knew the dangers and he took them seriously.

He looked around the compartment and had to stifle a laugh.

‘What’s so funny?’ demanded Sirius.

James’ smile was so wide he thought his cheek muscles were going to seize up. ‘You’re a mess, mate.’

Sirius and Peter were playing a game of Gobstones. If you lost, the stones sprayed a foul smelling liquid into your face. Peter was totally clean. Sirius on the other hand, was not. His long, dark hair was dripping wet and was giving off a rather unpleasant odor.

Sirius shook his hair deliberately so James was sprayed with water.

‘Leave it off, Padfoot!’ laughed James, removing his glasses and cleaning them with his wand. As he put them back on, a flash of red caught his eye. He jumped up and ran to the door, scattering the gobstones as he went. He muttered a hurried apology to his grumbling friends, before throwing the compartment door open.

‘Lily!’ he shouted. She carried on without looking back. He sighed and ran up to her side. He opened his mouth to speak, but she interrupted him.

‘What do you want, Potter?’ she said irritably, not looking him in the eye.

James blinked. ‘I just wanted a chance to speak to you...’

She stopped and turned to face him at last. Her eyebrows were pulled down into a frown and her glittering green eyes were boring into James’ hazel ones. James just stood there and blinked stupidly. He had forgotten how pretty Lily was.

Lily sighed and said, ‘Whatever you have to say, Potter, just say it. I need to go and change into my robes.’

James shook his head to clear his thoughts and replied quickly, ‘I just wanted to apologize for my behaviour. It was wrong of me to curse Snape - ’

‘Hold on,’ said Lily. ‘You’re apologizing?’

James frowned. ‘Yes?’ he said slowly, confused at her reaction.

She relaxed her stance slightly and cocked her head to the side. A curl of her hair fell across her face. She tucked it back behind her ear, still looking at James with uncertain eyes.

‘What are you after, Potter?’

‘I’m not after anything...’

‘Are you sure you’re not just apologizing to get me in a good mood so you can then ask me out?’

James smiled. ‘No. That hadn’t crossed my mind actually,’ He paused before continuing, ‘I just felt bad about what I had done. I know Snape is your friend; I shouldn’t have done that to him. Even if I have a quarrel with him, I shouldn’t have made you suffer. It was wrong.’

At the mention of Snape, Lily’s lips pressed together to form a thin line. When she spoke, it was through clenched teeth. ‘He’s not a friend of mine, James.’ She turned on her heels and walked slowly back to her compartment.

‘Thank you,’ said James quietly.

Lily stopped with her hand resting on the handle of the door. ‘For what?’

‘For listening, and...’ he smiled. ‘For calling me James and not Potter.’

Lily flashed him a quick, uncertain smile before vanishing into her compartment. James smiled to himself before turning around and making his way back to his compartment dreamily.

This year is going to be different. I just know it, James thought.