Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Chances by ron lover

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thank you for beta'ing this, Andi!
It would only take a minute to reach the classroom on the second floor. If there were any people on the staircases, she’d plow her way through. She had to meet him on time.
She thought her seventh year at Hogwarts would be fun. Extremely challenging, but fun. It was her last year in school, last time with her friends under one roof…

It would be the first time alone with Robert in more than a month. Since the tightened security, it would be impossible to sneak down to the dungeons, or even to go to an empty classroom. Only a fool would try to sneak around with the Carrows around.

She ran up the stairs before anyone could see her. Slytherins were the first to leave the Great Hall, so he should be there, in the Charms room already. Lauren opened the door, but no one was in there. She didn’t see him sitting casually on the professor’s desk like he normally did. She sat on the professor’s desk, arms on lap and legs dangling without moving, just like he would be doing.

Where was he?

A battle was about to start. Mary stayed behind, just like Lauren thought she would. Mary was friends with Ginny; she would fight beside her.

This terrible time “ this war “ didn’t effect Lauren as much as others. She didn’t have Muggle-born friends. Her father is a pureblood and her mother is a half-blood. She was going to go somewhere with Robert if something like this started. She just didn’t know that it would be a war.

“Lauren.” Robert saying her name frightened her.

“Where were you?”

He walked over to her and pulled her off the desk. “I had to go with the rest of my House.”

“Did everyone in your House leave?”

“Yeah, I think we had to.” He looked down at their intertwined hands.

“Then how’d you get away?”

He looked up from their hands to grin at her. “I’m lucky to have a girlfriend so skilled in Charms.” She laughed.

“We have to go now,” he said.

“Yes, we do “ ”

She was surprised when he stopped her with a kiss. Both of their hands were stiff at their sides. He kissed her on the lips one time after another. “Are you ready?” he asked between kisses. She nodded.

“What are you two doing?”

Both of them snapped their heads to the wall behind them.

“You’re not supposed to be here.” He looked at Robert.

“Nick, what are you doing?” Robert said to the ghost.

“I should ask you the same thing. All of the ghosts were asked to search the castle for students. If you are leaving, you need to do it now. They’re blocking the exit soon.” The ghost gave Robert a pointed look before floating through the other side of the room.

“We really need to go now,” she said.

“Yes. We do.” He grabbed her hand again and they ran out of the room and down the hall, not bothering to shut the door. No one cared anymore.

“Where are we going?” Lauren asked.

“Seventh floor. Damn it we need to hurry.” He took two steps at a time, and Lauren had a hard time keeping up. On the sixth floor they passed a student as they ran up the stairs. Lauren recognized her as Lavender from Gryffindor.

“Lavender!” She turned around when Lauren called her name. Robert was pulling on Laurens hand, but she held him back.

She turned around, and slightly out of breath, she said, “Yes?”

“Thank you for your help. With…with everything.”

“Oh, you’re welcome!” She gave her a small smile before rushing back down the stairs.

Robert pulled Lauren up the stairs the second Lavender turned around. “What was that about?”

“Oh, nothing. I’ll tell you about it later.” Lauren hoped he would forget about it, because she was never going to tell him.

Soon enough they say many people . Almost all of them were older students or adults.

Robert led them past the people and through a tunnel.

“Where does this lead to?” Lauren asked as she stepped into near blackness.

“Hogsmeade.”

It was an ingenious idea, she thought. The tunnel from the school was probably one of the only ways out of the castle. If the castle was under attack “ just like tonight, she horrifyingly thought “ another way out would be needed.

The founders were definitely smart enough to know that. Even though Muggles couldn’t find Hogwarts, precautions must be taken. Did each House have an escape? It would be stupid for the students not to have a quick escape. Where would it be in Ravenclaw tower?

But if there is a way out, then there is a way in. It would have to be well hidden. The chances of Lauren finding anything like an escape route would be impossible now that they’re leaving the castle, probably for good.

Before she knew it she was in a pub, and then she felt the painful experience of Apparation. Robert let go of Lauren when they landed safely in his living room.

“What’s wrong?” He got the first real glimpse of her since they’d landed. “Did you splinch yourself?”

“No, it’s not that.”

“Well what “ ”

“Robert, is that you?” A lady in her middle fifties walked to the entrance of the room. She turned the light on, overpowering the brightness the moon was emitting. Her nightclothes were covered by a red dressing gown, and she was wearing slippers. Her thinning black hair was pulled back in a lose ponytail. “What are you doing here?”

“It’s You-Know-Who. He’s about to attack Hogwarts.” They both saw Mrs Woodhead look at Lauren. “Mum, this is Lauren. The one I told you about.”

“Oh, nice to meet you.” She smiled, but she didn’t look like she meant it. Lauren knew it was more about You-Know-Who and a dislike towards her.

“You too,” Lauren said. Her mind wasn’t thinking about greetings; it was on You-Know-Who. Tonight is the is the last straw “ either Harry wins or You-Know-Who does. Mary stayed behind. Lauren’s roommate and best friend of six years stayed behind to fight with Harry. What if she died?

Lauren shook her head at the thought.

There was also Robert to think about. While not being well known, he and his parents were still Purebloods. If You-Know-Who won, what would he do with them? With Robert? Lauren barely knew Robert’s family, but he told her about his mother’s warmth and his father’s stern but loving attitude.

“Lauren, are you okay?” Robert tugged on her arm to pull her out of her thoughts. She looked up and noticed that they were once again alone.

“I can’t stay here.”

He looked confused. “Why not? Just for tonight and then we can leave in the morning.”

“I need to go back.” She looked him in the eye to show she was being serious.

He didn’t look at her like she was crazy, but like he was generally confused as to why she would want to go back to a place where she could potentially die.

“Mary’s there, fighting for what she believes in. What if something happens to her? I need to be there. And what if You-Know-Who wins? What happens to you? Will he make you become a Death Eater? When you refuse, will he hurt you? I am not letting that happen.”

“So you’re going to fight for me?” His face was incredulous.

Lauren’s answer to that was no, she’s not just fighting for him. Her last year of school was taken away from her by the bloody Carrows and You-Know-Who. She didn’t want more taken away. “No,” she said, “I am not fighting for you. I am fighting for myself against You-Know-Who “ ” Robert cut her off.

“I can’t let you go.”

“Why not?”

“Ten minutes ago you fled the castle for your life, and now you want to go back? You can’t be thinking clearly!”

“I love you, Robert, but I can’t stay here. I’m wasting time. If you don’t want to take me I’ll find a way to get there on my own.”

For a moment he just stared at her. “What are you doing?”

“I’m trying to Apparate,” she said.

“You don’t have a license yet. You could hurt yourself.”

“Not if you come with me.” She pleaded for him to come with her, and it was easier than she thought. She’d never try to Apparate without being sure she could do it, and she was surprised that he fell for it.

He gave her a quick kiss, and she closed her eyes immediately. He sighed and rested his head on hers. “You really want to do this?”

“Honestly? No. But I have to. I can’t let this go.” Lauren didn’t want to die. She wanted to grow old and have children and grandchildren. The thought of dying scared her.

“Give me a minute.” Robert left the room and went to find his parents to say goodbye. He quickly came back and grabbed her hand. He took them back to Hogsmeade without a word.

When their feet hit the ground they glanced at each other for a second and walked as silent as the night towards the castle ahead.
Chapter Endnotes: I'm tyring to write in different tenses, break out of my shell if you will. How'd I do? If I do write another chapter, the warnings may (and probably will) change, but I don't think the rating will. Any other comments?