Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Remus Lupin and The Centaur Ashes by discosuperfli

Printer
Summary: An unorthodox cure... a famous scar... a different time... different friends... and a drastically different life, unbitten, with amazing new adventures. The first volume in the epic story of Remus Lupin. AU.
Ratings: 1st-2nd Years [ - ]
Category: Alternate Universe
Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenge:
Serie: None
Chapters: 7 Completed?: No
Wordcount: 26586 Viewcount: 18596
Published on: 01/08/11 Updated On: 07/13/11



Story Notes: Two important notes: The two things that really make this an AU? Remus starts Hogwarts in 1984, rather than the canon 1971, and he is not a werewolf. Everything is pretty well explained in the chapter, but I wanted to clarify those two things from the start.


1. Chapter 1 by discosuperfli [ - ] (6851 words)
This is the opening chapter, and the only one that truly takes place in JKR's timeline. The rest deviate into AU from here on.

Also, particularly strong Remus/Tonks here, which will be reflected in the rest of the story. Not your cup of tea? Allow me to convert you, present you with a story that has Remus/Tonks, but is about so much more than that.

2. Chapter 2 by discosuperfli [ - ] (2683 words)
And so the adventure truly begins. I'm still just playing in JKR's sandbox. Please forgive any glaring Americanisms, and feel free to make suggestions on those.
3. Chapter 3 by discosuperfli [ - ] (3595 words)
Still JKR's.
4. Chapter 4 by discosuperfli [ - ] (3288 words)
Okay, quick notice. In this fic, Charlie and Bill Weasley are considerably older then they are in canon (5 years older). I have no 'Remus went back and stuff changed' explanation for this, other than it seemed too easy to just put Charlie in their year and let them be best friends (I also wanted to make Adam, who used to be called Marc), so I made them older. How this will affect the story, I have no idea, but I promise I will figure it all out eventually. These guys are the only one's that I've knowingly made older or younger, everyone else is either non-confirmed or canon correct.

******Also, yes, Remus met his friends on the train, just like Harry. But I figured that a lot of people meet friends on the train ride for the first time, so I think it's okay. And yes, he confronts his 'enemy' for the first time on the train also. Same thing, it's like the first day of school, except moving and magic.

*********And I'll end another ridiculously long author's note with this: I've simply brought some of my little action figures with me to play in JKR's sandbox. Everything you recognize is hers.

5. Chapter 5 by discosuperfli [ - ] (4106 words)
HUGE LONG AUTHOR'S NOTE OF DOOM***I know that in canon, Tonks is a Hufflepuff. And believe me, I was tempted to put her in there (as I have absolutely nothing against Hufflepuffs, being a Gryffinpuff myself), but I honestly was not sure how to go about a story with best friends in two different houses, and I would be creating a lot of the details about Hufflepuff on my own. I don't think I have the skill or the patience to deal with that set up. But I did have the hat hesitate a bit in calling her house, which I think sets up some awesome character stuff that could happen later. If you're not happy with that explanation, just think of it as one more thing that was changed by Remus going back.

***Also, I forgot to mention last chapter that I personally have nothing against the name Adelbert, but it seemed like an appropriately out-dated and uncommon name for a pureblood Slytherin. I've only ever heard of one Adelbert, and he's never going to read this story on account of being a dead Civil War officer from Maine.

***Teal deer of that, I have nothing personal against Hufflepuffs or Adelberts, but Tonks is a Gryffindor and McNair is a jerk.

***Another author's note, I know how excited you are. I know the hat's lyrics are fairly dreadful, but I felt it was important to have them his first year. You probably won't have to deal with them any more after this.

***And what do you think of the original characters in the tiny little snippet you've seen of some of them? Anyone who needs to be killed off immediately, or someone you want to see more of? Feel free to let me know in a review, though I make no promises. And speaking of reviews… you should leave one. They're good karma.

6. Chapter 6 by discosuperfli [ - ] (3110 words)
I've been trying to strike a good balance in this story between exposition and letting the actual series knowledge suffice. Basically, anything new (characters, things, places) will be described well, along with things that I think it's important we see Remus's point of view on, but anything that we know well, I'm letting you fill in the blanks. If you'd like to see more exposition, just leave me a review or message me, and I'll see what I can do. Until then, enjoy!
7. Chapter 7 by discosuperfli [ - ] (2953 words)