Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Other Potter by georgeisholey

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Yay! We're into Deathly Hallows now, and things are going to get interesting! I don't own Harry Potter. Enjoy!
I settled in nicely in a spare bedroom upstairs. Ted and Andromeda Tonks were very friendly and accepting. Ted played piano, and Andromeda was well-accomplished in the art of ordering out. According to Tonks herself, her parents weren't much for cooking. Ted lacked patience and ability, and Andromeda just lacked ability. When we weren't eating microwavable meals, we were ordering Chinese food or pizza.

Two weeks into the summer, I was informed that during Harry's removal, he would be using the Tonks' home as a safe house. I wasn't entirely sure what that meant, but I was excited to be doing something for the Order. I'd been itching to take action ever since June.

Sure enough, that Saturday evening, I was hugging Lupin and Tonks goodbye after dinner. Andromeda hugged Tonks and Lupin, murmuring, “Be safe,” to each of them. Ted also hugged Tonks, and shook Lupin's hand. “We'll be back before you know it,” Tonks said brightly, always optimistic.

When they had Apparated, the three of us dispersed to wait with baited breath. I went upstairs to my room, fully intending to read one of my many books, or at least pretend to read them, when I saw an owl perched on the foot of my bed. Artemis was staring at him interestedly, twitching her tail back and forth. The owl stuck out its leg, and I untied the letter and walked over to the tiny desk to sit and read it. The owl followed, perching on the desk lamp. I opened the envelope and read:

Dear Rose,
It's me, Simon. I'm curious how you're doing. I sat with Sammy and Valentine on the train, and you were a no-show. Sammy's worried that her mother may not be letting her return to Hogwarts. I haven't heard from Valentine, but it sounds like she and Sammy are in the same place.

Sammy's wondering whether you've found a place to stay also. Before you explode, no, I did not tell her your little secret. Sammy was mostly referring to the fact that you'll be of age within the month. (Happy birthday, by the way.) She was hoping that you might stay with her later on in the summer, because she's asking all of her friends to drop by and help her beg her mother to let her go back to Hogwarts. Of course, she's been seventeen since last December, but she'd much rather not have to continue her education behind her mother's back. And there's the matter of Tyler going to school as well.

I hope you're alright, especially after what happened to Dumbledore. When and if you reply, be careful what you say. Cetus (the owl) is sensitive.

Your friend,
Simon


I smiled. Simon wasn't in Ravenclaw for nothing. “Dumbledore” was obviously a reference to a certain greasy-haired professor, and I knew full well that Cetus was certainly not sensitive. We were all being watched. I pulled out pen and paper and began my response.

Dear Simon,
I'm doing okay. I mostly try not to think about Dumbledore, because lately I've been having nightmares. As far as a place to stay, I have been staying some friends. They love Phoenixes.

I hope Sammy and Valentine are okay. I'll do my best to pay them a visit, but I doubt I'll be able to, considering my position. I'll see what I can do. Tell her not to worry.

By the way, it's nice to have contact with a friend, and I don't get it that often. Thank you for keeping my little secret.

Your friend,
Rose


After reading this through several times, I deemed it acceptable, put it in an envelope, and let Cetus go free. I watched him fly away before closing the window and sitting down on the bed. I was debating whether I wanted to take a nap, when I heard loud noises outside.

I ran down the stairs. Ted had run outside, and Andromeda was on the porch, looking worried. I hurried to her side. “What is it?” I asked.

“They've crashed,” she whispered.

~ * ~

Hagrid had been difficult to get inside, and Andromeda tended to him in the dining room. I watched Ted mend Harry's bones and teeth. They were in sad shape, but I didn't dare ask the question that was hanging over all our heads: were they attacked?

Ted looked up at me with a smile. He had noticed my stiff posture. “He's going to be fine, Rose,” he said. Lupin had told Ted and Andromeda nearly everything, but he assured me that they were trustworthy. I was beginning to feel less safe, though. Where before only three people in the world knew my secret, now six people did, and one of them was a murderer, while another was a schoolboy.

“Do you want a moment? I should probably help Dromeda with Hagrid,” said Ted. I nodded, giving him a weary smile. Ted left the room, and Harry lay unconscious on the sofa. I sat down on the piano chair, where Ted had been, and just stared at Harry.

It felt weird, even a little creepy, to be watching Harry sleep. Still, I couldn't help it. I wondered what things would be like, if Harry had known I was his sister. Would we both have gone to the Dursleys? Would I be friends with the Weasleys and Hermione as well? Would I know what had happened to Harry, why he had shown up in the Tonks' yard with a missing tooth and broken bones?

Harry stirred, blinking a little. He sat up quickly muttering, “Hagrid.”

“Hey, slow down,” I said automatically. Harry leaned back as ordered. “Hagrid's in the next room. Andromeda and Ted are looking after him. I think he's okay.”

Rose? What are you doing here?” Harry asked, looking confused as I handed him his glasses, and he was able to focus.

“Long story. You feel okay? Ted fixed you up. What happened, anyway?” I said.

Harry looked worried and sick when I asked that question. The worst was confirmed. “You- you were attacked?” I asked, tensing up. When he nodded, I put my hand to my mouth and I felt my stomach sinking through my toes, right through the center of the Earth, and popping back out somewhere in North America.

“It was Death Eaters. They knew we were coming, they ambushed us. I don't know what happened to anyone else, we were being chased. Toward the end, Voldemort caught up with us.” He looked surprised that I didn't flinch when I heard the name.

“Voldemort- you saw him?” I said, feeling my eyes widen. “What did you do?”

“He can fly,” Harry said, staring at unseeingly at his hands. “He tried to attack me. I was hanging off the end of Hagrid's motorcycle, I couldn't tell up from down, but my wand did something. It sort of spun around, and then it made gold flames shoot out of the tip. By then, we got through the barrier, and here we are.”

That reminded me; I grabbed Harry's wand and gave it to him. “How do you think that happened, with your wand? That can't be normal.”

“I dunno,” he said, holding it gingerly.

Ted came in, followed by Hagrid and Andromeda. Harry jumped up when he saw Andromeda, pointing his wand at her, but I grabbed his arm. “That's Andromeda Tonks, Harry. She's Tonks' mother.” Harry lowered his wand hesitantly, and then was engulfed in a huge hug by Hagrid.

“I though' we was done, Harry! I didn' think we'd get out 'o tha', but we did!” Hagrid said. When he dropped Harry, Harry scooted back, panting slightly.

“Hey there, Rose,” said Hagrid, patting my shoulder and making my knees give way. Harry and Ted helped me up, and I said, “Hi, Hagrid. Feeling better?”

“Yeah,” he replied happily, before Ted led them to the Portkey in the next room. Andromeda came over to me.

“What did he tell you?” she asked, her eyes on the door that Harry, Hagrid, and Ted had disappeared through.

“They were attacked,” I said quietly. “Voldemort even caught up with them. He doesn't know what happened to anyone else.”

Andromeda nodded, her face clouded with worry. “I was afraid of that.”

~ * ~

Lupin and Tonks returned at around six in the morning. I had fallen asleep downstairs in a comfortable chair. When Lupin and Tonks entered the house, I woke to find that someone had tossed a blanket over me. I heard Andromeda get up from another nearby chair and hug Tonks. “I was so worried- we all were! Oh, Dora! Remus, what happened? Were you really attacked?”

“Hush, Mum, you'll wake Rosie,” murmured Tonks, but I sat up.

“Too late,” I said, getting up to get my fair share of hugs. “What happened? Harry told us some of it, but then he had to leave,” I said, giving Lupin an extra tight squeeze.

“We were ambushed. Somebody gave away the date we were to move Harry,” said Lupin, addressing Andromeda over my shoulder. We all sat down, Ted joining us, and then Lupin lowered the boom.

“Mad-Eye Moody was killed.”

I squeaked; Ted and Andromeda gasped; Tonks let out a little sob, and covered her face with her hands. Lupin wrapped an arm around her and continued, as he presented her with a box of tissues, handily placed on a little table within reach.

“But he was so- so- tough,” I said, unable to digest this. He wasn't the kind of person you expected to die, since he was always on his guard.

“I know,” said Lupin miserably. “That's not all. George Weasley-”

“He didn't die too?” said Ted, looking worried.

“No. He lost an ear, thanks to Snape.” Lupin glanced at me. “George was with me. I would've tried to get Snape, but I had to keep George on his broom, there was nothing I could do.”

Again, I felt a sense of denial. Surely Lupin wasn't talking about Sev, the man who had been so kind to me. Sev didn't kill people, and he didn't blow off ears either. But then, I thought bitterly, Sev and Snape were different people.

I stood up, muttered something about the bathroom, and went upstairs. When I made it to my room, I slouched on the floor next to my bed, trying hard not to cry. Lupin had followed me. He sat in my desk chair and waited.

“Why?” I said, feeling tears again for the first time in weeks. “He was so nice to me! Dumbledore trusted him!”

“Yes, well, look what happened to Dumbledore,” said Lupin bitterly, then collected himself. “I shouldn't have said that.”

“But it's true,” I choked through my tears. “He lied, to all of us.”

“And most of all, to you. It will be harder for you than for anyone else. You are the only living person who never had cause to hate Snape, which is why you have the most cause to hate him now.”

I calmed down a bit, thinking this over. “What does that mean?” I said.

“Snape was never cruel to you. He lied to you more than he lied to anyone else. He hurt you the most, and you're going to have more trouble excepting Snape for what he is than any of us.”

It made sense. Snape had been cruel to many of my friends, but never once had he done anything to me. One thing still bothered me though. “Why did he even take me in? Why didn't he just put me in an orphanage?”

Lupin sighed. “Snape loved your mother, Rose. Truly loved her. And you may not know it, but you are so much like her. You have her face, and her spirit. I think Snape thought he was getting his best friend back when he took you in.”

I nodded, swallowing hard. I felt exhausted. This was too much excitement for one night. Lupin must have guessed that, because he helped me up. “Why don't you go to bed? You were up very late. Take a nap, and then we'll get you some breakfast.”

I went to my room, flopping onto the mattress, and fell asleep before my head even hit the pillow.

But even in sleep, I couldn't escape. I saw Snape, pushing Dumbledore off the Astronomy Tower... “Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more!”... Then he saw me... There was a flash of green light...
Chapter Endnotes: I will try to update ASAP. Please review!