Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

But I'm a Weasley! by Anisky

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The owl, who had perched on Rose's shoulder, waited a few moments for food. Rose just sat there, frozen, and gave no indication that she was planning to so much as shift her position in the next few hours. Realizing that Rose wasn't going to so much as pat him, Chudley gave an annoyed hoot and flew out again.

Peony raised an eyebrow at the expression on the other girl's face. –From your parents?” she asked.

–I guess so.” Rose didn't make a move to open the letter sitting in her lap. –That was my family's owl, anyway.”

–Well, at least it's not a Howler,” Peony said encouragingly.

–Yeah.” Rose just kept staring at the innocent-looking envelope. She couldn't seem to summon the courage to open it. No wonder she hadn't ended up in Gryffindor.

–Need any kind of moral support?” Peony asked.

Rose shook her head. –I appreciate the offer, but I can't think of anything. I want to read it before anybody else does.” With a resigned sigh, she pried the envelope open, pulled out the letter, and unfolded it.

–Here goes nothing,” she said, and she started to read.


Dear Rosie, (the letter said)

How are you doing? I imagine by the time you get this letter you'll have taken some classes already. Have you enjoyed them? Do you like your professors?

As you may have figured out, this is Mum. Don't worry, I managed to talk your father out of sending you a Howler. If hats could receive owls, though, I'm sure the Sorting Hat would have your Dad's voice screaming at it as we speak.

I can't pretend that the news of your Sorting wasn't a surprise, but know that I love you very much, and I will always be here to support you. Try not to worry about Dad. You know how the Weasley temper is; he's not very rational right now, but he'll get over it. He loves you, and you're his little girl no matter what House you're in... he just needs a little time to remember that.

It may be a few weeks before you hear from him; I've forbidden him from writing to you until I've decided he's sufficiently calm. He'd probably send you a letter pretty quickly taking back what he said about disinheriting you, but it would have been full of snide comments about your House. So I'm making him wait until he can be nice, and remember that by insulting Slytherin, he's insulting you now, too.

I hope that you are getting along well and making friends. I hope you aren't too lonely, living away from your cousins. And I want you to know, Rosie, that more than anything I want you to be happy. Remember that you have every right to be happy. Never be ashamed of who you are, and never feel guilty about building yourself a life in Slytherin House.

Write back soon, I want to hear all about your first few days! As I've said, you'll only be hearing from me for a little while, but I'll keep you updated on your father's progress, if you like.

I miss you and love you so much. Write as soon as you can.

All my love,

Mum


–What does it say?” Peony asked, after Rose had read it through several times.

–It's from my Mum,” she said. –My Dad's so angry she won't let him write to me.”

Peony winced. –Sorry,” she said.

–Mum's letter is really nice,” Rose said, –but some of what she's said is...telling?”

–Like what?”

–Well, you know, she wrote all about how she loves me and supports me no matter what, and claims Dad does too, he just needs time to remember that. But there's also stuff about how I have every right to be happy, and that I shouldn't feel guilty if I like Slytherin. Which would have been a very nice sentiment if I'd thought I ought to be miserable, but as I hadn't thought that, it just kind of seems to say... that she was thinking it. Does that make sense?”

–Yes, it does,” Peony said, –but don't be too hard on her. If it were my Mum, and I'd been sorted into Gryffindor, all her letter would say would be about how I'm a disgrace to the family name and... well, let's just say it certainly wouldn't have reassurances that she loves me no matter what.”

Rose thought about what Liatris had said about Peony's parents. 'Peony's parents are awful. I mean really, just hideous human beings.'

–That's horrible,” she said.

–Well, I guess it's a good thing I'm in Slytherin,” Peony answered lightly.

–I just hope you don't get any letters yelling at you for befriending a Weasley.”

The look on Peony's face suggested that the thought had already occurred to her. –It's possible,” she admitted, with distaste. –But don't worry. It would hardly be the first time my parents called me a disgrace, and I doubt it would be the last time. It's the kind of word that loses its sting after a while.”

Rose had no idea what to say to that.

–

After the disaster in Potions class yesterday, Rose was determined to get a chance to spend some time with Albus. She got up early, and waited near the corridor where the Gryffindors arrived from. As he passed, she grabbed his arm pulled him aside just before he entered the Great Hall for breakfast.

–Rosie!” Al said, startled at the ambush . –Er, hi.”

–Hi,” Rose said, pulling him into an empty classroom; he followed without resistance. –I'm so, so sorry about yesterday.”

–That's okay,” he said, uncomfortably.

–Do you have some free time later?” Rose asked. –I know we both need to eat breakfast and get to class. But I want to hang out with you and talk, for real. Maybe go down to the lake or something. What do you say?”

–Sure,” Al said. –I'm free at 3 o'clock. Is that good?”

–That's great,” Rose said, smiling in relief. –I'll meet you right out there, by the Great Hall?”

Albus agreed, and the two of them hurried to get some breakfast before they had to go to class. Rose felt a slight pang as they headed in opposite directions; herself to the Slytherin table, he to Gryffindor.

--

Rose had never in her entire life felt awkward around Albus... at least, not until that afternoon, as they met each other outside the Great Hall, just as they'd agreed.

–Hi,” said Albus.

–Hi,” Rose echoed.

Rose had started to speak when she was 7 months old, and Albus when he was 11 months. Since that time, she couldn't recall a single time they'd been at a loss for something to say to each other. Yet here they were, standing silently in the corridor outside of the great hall. Albus was running a hand through his hair, a nervous habit of his, making the already messy mop even more out of control.

Nothing about Rose's Sorting had come close to making her feel the way she felt in that moment.

She'd been unexpectedly separated from her cousins, her new friends' parents had been Death Eaters, and her father was so angry that Mum didn't believe he could could be trusted to send Rose, his own daughter, a civil letter. But none of that hurt as much as watching Albus act like she was some kind of wild animal, about to attack. Or, even worse-- like she was a stranger.

–Come on,” she said softly. –We said we'd go for a walk around the lake, remember?”

Al nodded, and they headed out into the sunny afternoon.

They were silent for a while, but to Rose's surprise and relief, it was Al who broke the silence.

–So what's it like?” he asked.

–You mean, being a Slytherin?”

He nodded.

Rose shrugged. –It's fine,” she said. –I'm making friends.”

–So people are being okay to you?” Albus sounded genuinely worried about her, which went a long way towards making Rose feel better about his other behavior.

–Mostly, yes, they're being just fine. Aurelia Flint's being rather horrible, but nobody seems to be following her lead. Even her best friend yelled at her for being mean.”

–Good,” Al said. –I was worried. You know, I thought they might be cruel about you being a Weasley and all.”

Rose smirked. –I'm sure it was different back when our parents were kids, but without Voldemort spewing the blood purity nonsense everywhere, I don't think they think about it as much. I mean, I think a lot of my housemates are still prejudiced against Muggleborns, but not like they want to kill them or anything. And Weasleys aren't Muggleborn, you know. So, as you might have noticed during Potions class, I think Slytherin outweighs family name these days. ”

–Yeah.” Albus scuffed his shoe against the ground as they walked.

–That was really horrible of Professor Bole,” Rose said. –I felt so bad.”

–It's not your fault,” Albus muttered.

–I hated it,” she said. –I might have said something if I weren't so surprised... as I said, I didn't think she'd like me either. And now I'm supposed to go have tea with her this weekend!” Rose made a face.

–Tea?” Al asked, sounding repulsed. –With her?”

–Yeah, so she's Peony's aunt, and Peony's becoming one of my good friends, so she invited all of us.”

–And you're actually going to go?”

Rose hesitated. –I was going to,” she admitted. –I mean, I've heard she's around the Slytherin dungeons a lot. Professor Sinistra's really old, so a lot of the discipline and stuff seems to fall to Professor Bole. Getting on her bad side on purpose seems like a really bad move. But... if you don't want me to go, I won't. She was really awful to you, after all, and you're my best friend. Oh, that was so disloyal of me. I'll tell Peony I can't go.”

Al sighed and shook his head. –No, don't do that. You'll have enough problems in Slytherin,” he said. –I can't tell you to make them even worse.”

–I should have at least asked you first,” Rose said. –I didn't think of it. I'm sorry.”

–Forget it,” Al insisted. –You don't have cousins around to look out for you like I do. You need to protect yourself.”

–It's really not that bad.” But instead of elaborating, Rose decided to change the topic. –So tell me about Gryffindor. Are you making friends?”

Al nodded. –Yeah. Me and Leonora look like we're going to be pretty close. And there's Asher Jordan, he seems brilliant. Everyone's pretty cool, really.”

–What's it like having Neville as your head of house?”

–Pretty good. You know he's really nice, but, you also know he'll tell my parents every little problem. Well, you've heard James complain about it.”

Rose nodded. Neville-- Professor Longbottom-- was extremely well-meaning, and he'd only ever talked to the Potters about their son because he wanted to help. Of course, that didn't stop James from getting in trouble as a result of these talks. The older Weasleys were safer from this misplaced concern, since the Gryffindor Head of House hadn't been close friends with Bill or Percy. He was good friends with Rose's parents, though, so she'd probably be subject to the same treatment.

Maybe she had actually dodged a bullet, being a Slytherin. Of course, that didn't necessarily mean Professor Longbottom wouldn't Owl her parents if he heard something about her, but it must mean he'd hear less.

–Oh, that reminds me,” Al said suddenly. –Neville asked me to pass on an invitation to you to have tea with us.”

–When?”

Al shifted. –This weekend. So... I guess you might not be able to make it.”

Rose laughed. –There are a lot of hours in a weekend,” she pointed out. –I'm sure I can manage two teas in forty-eight hours. When this weekend did he want to have it? And who is 'us' exactly?”

–Saturday afternoon, four o'clock. Apparently it's a tradition. 'Us' is all the Weasleys and Potters.”

–That'll be nice.” Rose smiled. –It'll be a good chance to see everyone.”

–Well, good, then!” Al seemed to be getting more natural with Rose. Maybe all the weirdness was just a shocked reaction, she thought. No matter what Houses they were in, their friendship couldn't change.

–So...” Rose hesitated. –Are they saying anything about me?”

–Who?” Albus asked, trying (ineptly) to pretend he didn't know what she was talking about.

–Oh, you know exactly who, you stupid. Them. Victoire and Molly and Dominique and James. Or any other family friends you want to throw into the mix.”

–Conceited much?” Albus asked, with a quaver in his voice. –You sure think you're important, that all our older cousins and James would be talking about you all the time.”

–I never said all the time. I just asked if they said anything. And for the record, if they hadn't, you'd have just said 'No, not a thing,' or something like that. So. I guess that means they have been talking about me.”

–What, just because you're a Slytherin now, you're some expert on deception?” Al asked, rolling his eyes.

–I think it's the other way around, actually.”

Albus cocked his head to the side, looking confused. Rose sighed.

–I mean, I guess I was sorted into Slytherin because I have an instinct for deception,” she clarified. –Not the other way around.”

–Oh.”

Rose sat down on a rock and hugged her knees to her chest. –The Hat put me in Slytherin because of my personality,” she said. –Because of the kind of person I am, the person, by the way, who happens to have been your best friend your whole life. Everything that makes me a Slytherin was already there before the Hat said anything. Nothing about me has changed. It's just been... categorized.”

–I know that,” Albus insisted. He sat on the rock next to her, and put his arms around her shoulders. –You're my best friend, and you always will be.”

A slow smile brightened Rose's entire face. –I'm so glad to hear you say that,” she said. –I feel the same way.” Then she tried to look stern, though she was still smiling. –But I must not be too good at deception yet; I let you distract me. What are the cousins saying about me?”

Al sighed, and sat next to Rose on the rock. –Molly is being insufferable,” he said.

–Yes, and the lake is wet,” Rose agreed. –That's kind of a given. Could you be a bit more specific?”

Al rolled his eyes. –Good point. Okay, she's being insufferable about you. Talking about how it's this big disgrace to the Weasley family and she's never going to talk to you ever again.”

–Did she really say that?” Rose asked eagerly. –Do you think she means it? That would be brilliant! Bet you're jealous you're not in Slytherin, if it means you'd never have to talk to Molly.”

–Do you really think she's going to keep her mouth shut when she's upset with you and think you've done something wrong?” Al asked, pointedly.

Rose winced. –Yeah... no chance. Damnit. If only she'd stick to her word! Well, I don't really give Hippogryff's behind what Molly thinks. How about the others?”

Al shrugged. –I'm sure it'll all be pretty obvious at the tea.”

–I'd pretty appreciate a heads-up so I know what to expect from the tea,” Rose pressed,.

Albus acquiesced. –Victoire's kind of... distractedly concerned. Oh, you know, she really doesn't like Slytherins, but those are the ones around her year. She'd never lower herself to think about eleven-year-olds as good or evil. She's too high and mighty.”

–Another word for that might be 'mature,'” Rose pointed out. –Eleven-year-olds aren't usually set one way or the other.”

Al gave Rose a weird look; she never defended Victoire against the accusation of being stuck-up.

–Hey, I'm going to need all the allies I can get,” Rose said, with a shrug. –If Victoire's attitude means she doesn't think I'm automatically evil, I'm all for it.”

–I guess so,” Albus said. –She hasn't said much, anyway. She's all busy with her 7th year friends and being Head Girl and Quidditch.”

Rose nodded, unsurprised.

–You'll be happy to know that, oh, I think four times just in the past week, Dominique has gone out of her way to ridicule Molly for her opinion. And to infuriate her... she says it's cool. She keeps saying that Slytherin boys are sexy, and maybe you'll make some older friends in your house and introduce her. Or tell her the password so she can sneak in to snog Slytherins.”

Rose was torn between being amused and terrified. –Do you think she's serious?”

–I think she's, er, partly saying it to upset Molly.”

–Partly.” Dominique had made her support clear from about three seconds after Rose had become a Slytherin, and she wasn't about to forget that. Amusement won out, and Rose laughed. –Remind me to get Dom something really nice for Christmas. Or her next birthday.”

–I'll try to remember.”

–How about James?” Rose asked, curiously.

–Well... he said it depends on what you think of Slytherin.”

Rose did a double take. –He said what?” she demanded, unable to believe her ears. –That doesn't sound like him.”

–Okay, so I'm making it sound better than it is. So... know how he always says you and me are really boring?”

She snorted. –Yeah.”

–Well, he thinks you'll fall apart in Slytherin. That you'll be crying all the time about how hard it is and how they're all mean and you miss your family. But if you like it, apparently that means you might be kind of interesting, after all.”

–Okay, that does sound like him,” Rose admitted. –Well, you can tell him I think Slytherin is awesome. In fact, Slytherin can kick Gryffindor's ass any day.”

–Oh really? Just wait until the next Quidditch game. We'll destroy you.”

–You can try,” Rose smirked.

They headed back to the castle, arguing the whole way about whether whether Gryffindor could beat Slytherin, or whether Slytherin would whip Gryffindor's ass. They were taking shots at each other the whole way back, and Rose was delighted. It was just like it was before all of this House stuff had happened, when every insult represented just that much more faith that nothing could ever come between them.

–

Thursday evening, an owl flew into the room and deposited a note onto Peony's bed. It reminded Rose that she hadn't written back to her mother yet, but she was quickly distracted from that thought when Peony spoke.

–It's from Aunt Daphne,” she said. –She's inviting us to tea in her quarters at 3:30 on Saturday.”

–Three thirty on Saturday?” Rose repeated, nervously.

–Why, is that a problem?”

Rose winced a little and nodded. –Yeah, it kind of is. I told Professor Longbottom and Albus that I'd have tea with them, and the rest of my cousins, at 4 on Saturday. No way we'll be anywhere near done at your Aunt's in half an hour.”

–Hmm.” Peony looked thoughtful.

–What do I do?” Rose asked. –I really want to see my family, but the last thing I need is to get on the wrong side of Professor Bole. I mean, no offense, but I'm lucky she doesn't already hate me for who my parents are.”

–I'll owl her back and tell her the problem,” Peony said, taking out a piece of parchment.

–Are you sure that's a good idea?” Rose asked nervously. –She won't get angry?”

Peony smiled. –It'll be fine. Trust me.”

–Okay,” Rose said, still not entirely reassured.

The other girl penned a quick note and sent it back with the owl. It wasn't long before it returned with an answer. Rose waited nervously as Peony opened the missive.

She looked up with a bright smile. –See? I told you it would be fine. She completely understands. In fact, she suggested that instead of just having tea, we should step it up and have a dinner party, starting at 6. That'll give you two hours with your family.”

Rose raised her eyebrows, surprised at this response. –That does sound like it will work,” she said. –Sure, I'd love to come.”

Peony smiled back. –Great! I'll let her know.”

Rose stretched out on her bed. That seemed too easy. Was there some kind of scheme to all of this? But what would Professor Bole stand to gain?

She shook her head. Just because someone was a Slytherin didn't mean their every move was part of a calculated plot. Maybe Peony's aunt was just nice... to Slytherins, anyway.

–

Because a dinner party like the one Professor Bole was planning required dress robes, and Rose wouldn't have the time between tea and dinner to get herself ready, she showed up to the tea in her best robes, and even some light beauty charms.

–Why, hello, Rosie,” Neville greeted her as she came in. –It's good to see you. You certainly look nice.”

Molly, Albus, and James were already seated around a simple table; Rose sat down as far from Molly as she could while still being next to Al.

–Thank you,” she said to Neville.

–Why are you in your dress robes?” Albus asked, giving her a weird look.

–I have a dinner party after this,” Rose said. –It starts at six, so I didn't want to have to leave early to get ready.”

–A dinner party?” James repeated. –You're going to a dinner party?”

–That's what I said,” Rose agreed.

–That's weird. I don't think I've ever been to a dinner party my whole time at Hogwarts. Is this some Slytherin thing?”

Rose shrugged as she tried to decide whether or not to explain.

As it turned out, she was spared from having to give a response. For just then, the door flew open, and Dominique tumbled into the room, looking exhausted but excited.

Victoire looked equally tired as she stood in the doorway. Her hand was poised to knock, and she looked a bit bemused as she watched Dominique barge into the Professor's quarters unannounced. Apparently she decided there was nothing for it, because she let her hand drop and entered the room with a shrug. She made sure to close the door behind her.

–Knock, knock,” she said, pleasantly sarcastic.

–Come in,” Neville said, with a touch of irony.

–Guess what guess what guess what!” Dominique cried, as she fell into the chair beside Rose.

–Er... you've taken some kind of mind-altering potion?” Rose hazarded.

Dominique grinned. –No,” she said, giving Rose a playful shove. –I made the Quidditch team!”

–Dominique, that's great!” Neville exclaimed, and everyone else joined in to congratulate her, though Molly did so in that obnoxious way that made it clear that she thought Quidditch was a waste of time.

Victoire smile as she slid into the last empty chair, next to Neville, much more gracefully than her younger sister had. –It'll be great,” she said. –I'm excited to have my little sister on the team with me.”

–Well, now that everyone's here, we can get started,” Neville said, and he flicked his wand to bring the tea and snacks floating into the room. They settled them on the table, and everyone began to dig in.

The tea was delicious, though Rose tried not to eat too much, so that she'd have plenty of room at the dinner party. For a while, everyone kept to safe topics. It would have felt almost normal if not for an underlying tension in the room that Rose knew was because of her. Apart from one brief reference from James, they hadn't addressed the Slytherin situation at all, and it was the proverbial elephant in the room... or would that be serpent in the room?

The catalyst for the blow-up came from an unexpected source: Dominique.

–So why are you in dress robes, Rosie?” she asked, as she hadn't been in the room when this had been asked before. –And are those beauty charms? It's quite the switch, you all dolled up while I'm sweaty and disgusting in Quidditch robes. You look very nice, but why the fancy coiffure?”

–She's going to a dinner party after this, apparently,” James said, with the same strange tone Rose couldn't quite identify. Amused? Disgusted? Impressed? She had no idea.

–A dinner party.” Victoire was surprised. –I haven't heard about a dinner party.”

–It's just a little one,” Rose explained.

–With Slytherins?” Molly asked, distastefully.

–No, with Hufflepuffs,” Rose said sarcastically. –Of course with Slytherins.”

–Have any of you guys heard of dinner parties at Hogwarts?” James asked. –Because I haven't.”

Rose sighed, and decided to just tell the truth. They were family, after all.

–Well, originally Professor Bole just planned for tea at 3:30. She changed it to a dinner party when she heard that I wouldn't be able to make the tea, because of this one, with you guys.”

Neville and all Rose's cousins shared a look.

–That was... very nice of her,” Neville said slowly.

Rose bit her lip and glanced over at Al.

–You're going to a dinner party thrown by Professor Bole?” Molly demanded icily. –After the way he treated your cousin?”

–Now, Molly--” Neville began, but his voice was quickly drowned out by Al's.

–I told her to go,” Albus exclaimed angrily. –Rose told me that she wouldn't go if I didn't want her to, and I told her that she should. You should shut up and mind your own business, especially when you have no idea what you're talking about.”

Rose was shocked and warmed by Al's furious response. She was the only one who felt warmed, but certainly not the only one who was shocked.

–Albus!” Neville repuked sharply. –That's enough!”

Rose looked over at Al and gave him a grateful little smile. He nodded and smiled back at her, though it seemed a bit forced.

–So how'd you get an invite to this dinner party?” James wanted to know. –Bole hates Potters and Weasleys.”

–Only Gryffindor Potters and Weasleys, apparently,” Rose said. –I was as surprised as you are. Though it can't hurt that her niece is getting to be one of my best friends.”

–Who's her niece?” James asked.

–Peony Greengrass.”

–Pansy's daughter?” Neville's eyebrows shot up. –She's becoming one of your best friends?”

–She's actually really nice,” Rose told him.

–Sure, just like Professor Bole is actually really nice,” Molly muttered.

Rose tried to remain calm. –No, it's true, she is. Liatris says--”

–Who's Liatris? Oh, I know, another Death Eater's kid, I bet. Very reliable source,” Molly sneered.

–Liatris's parents were not Death Eaters,” Rose said hotly. –They weren't even in Britain during the war. Her mum's family moved around for work, and her dad's parents sent him away because they thought Britain was too dangerous with Voldemort there.”

–So they didn't want to fight? Just stayed out of it, not their problem?”

Rose rolled her eyes. –Molly, if you condemn everyone whose parents didn't fight in the Final Battle, there won't be many people left. And yes, Peony's parents were on the Death Eaters' side. Yet she doesn't hate Muggleborns, and doesn't do the Dark Arts, growing up with parents like that. You don't think that says something about her?”

–Just that maybe you don't know her as well as you think,” Molly answered.

Rose clenched her fist, trying to curb the Weasley temper. She decided it was time to change the subject.

–Dominique, you never told us what position you're playing?” she asked

–Seeker!” Dominique exclaimed happily. –That and Keeper were the only two open spots this year, and I think we all know I'm better at catching balls than at keeping them away.”

James snickered.

–James,” Neville said warningly.

–Oh, come on,” he protested. –She totally meant it to sound like that.”

–You don't know that, and it's no way to treat your cousin.”

–No, I really did know how it sounded,” Dominique offered brightly.

–Then I'm scolding you, as well, Dominique. Please be age-appropriate.”

Rose grinned. Now this felt exactly like every Weasley gathering she remembered.

She was starting to genuinely feel comfortable, so of course, Molly had to ruin it.

–You like Quidditch, don't you Rosie?” she asked.

–You know I do,” Rose said cautiously, as she wondered where this was going.

–So you're planning to play while you're at Hogwarts?”

Oh. It seemed that Rose was already used to dealing with Slytherins; she'd been looking for some intricate trap where instead there was a blunt object.

–If I can make my House team, absolutely,” Rose said cheerily. –But of course, I can't try out this year, anyway.”

–So you're planning to play against your own family?” Molly demanded.

–Molly.” Neville's voice was mild, but it had a note of warning in it.

–No, it's fine, Neville.” Though Rose addressed the professor, she was glaring at her cousin as she spoke. –Molly's somehow managed to miss the fact that the whole Weasley-Potter family plays against each other every time we get together at Grandma's and Grandpop's, at least three times a year, for as far back as I can remember. Also she's seemed to have forgotten that she thinks Quidditch is a stupid sport and a total waste of time anyway.”

–There's a big difference between the family games and Hogwarts games, and you know it,” Molly sniped back. –And besides--”

–Oh, shut up, Molly,” Dominique groaned, as she grabbed a cucumber sandwich. –If anybody besides Rosie had a right to an opinion about her playing Quidditch for Slytherin, it would be Victoire and me. You know, the members of the family who are actually on the Gryffindor team. And I say if she wants to go up against us, more power to her... though you should be warned, Rosie, that we won't hesitate to kick your ass, cousin or not. Victoire?”

–If Rosie wants to play Quidditch, then she should,” Victoire said. –As Head Girl, in charge of the Prefects, Molly, I'd like to remind you that Quidditch games are supposed to about friendly rivalry, and should ideally bring the school closer together, not tear it apart.”

–Weren't you dating a member of the Ravenclaw Quidditch team last year?” Dominique asked Molly. –He was playing against Victoire.”

–That's different!” Molly insisted.

–How?” Rose asked, mildly.

–He was a Ravenclaw,” Molly answered, as though that should answer everything.

–So it's okay to play against family members, as long as you're not playing for Slytherin?” Rose inquired.

–It's Slytherin, Rosie!” Molly burst out, as though she'd been holding this in for a while. –You're a Slytherin!”

–Really?!” Rose gasped. Her hands flew to her cheeks as she affected shock. –I had no idea! Here I was, wandering the castle, wondering which house I was in... thank you so much for telling me!”

Al and James snickered.

–Aren't you the least bit ashamed?” Molly demanded.

–Ashamed of... ?” Rose trailed off, questioning look on her face.

–Being a Slytherin!”

–Ashamed of the decision that a hat made without consulting me? No, not really. But even if I'd chosen it, I wouldn't be ashamed. Because you want to know the truth?” Rose leaned forward, and lowered her voice, as though she were telling her some secret. –The truth is.... Slytherin rocks.”

–'Rocks'?” Molly repeated. –That's Voldemort's house you're claiming 'rocks.'”

–Uh, yeah, about seventy years ago.” Rose rolled her eyes.

–And all the Death Eaters, and the Malfoys. There's even a Malfoy in your year!"

–Malfoy, though he and I haven't really talked much, has never been anything but kind and courteous to me. Unlike someone I might mention... who is that? Oh, right. You.”

–Kind and courteous? If you think that little prat is kind, that only shows--”

–Molly, the boy is eleven,” Victoire said. –And if he's said a word to you, you haven't mentioned it.”

–Don't any of you remember anything Grandpop ever said about them, or all your parents, James and Albus and Rosie--”

–Do you even hear yourself when you speak?” Dominique demanded. –Try hearing Victoire! You're talking shit about an eleven year old kid you've never even met!”

–I don't have to meet him! He's a Malfoy!”

–Kind of like how the Death Eaters didn't have to meet Rose's mum, because she was a Muggleborn?” Victoire asked quietly.

–Why are you taking her side? Have all of you gone insane? She's a Slytherin!”

–She's also a Weasley,” Dominique pointed out angrily. –Is where in the castle she lives more important to you than the fact that she's family?”

–Also, she's not a stuck up-- prat,” James glanced over at Neville as he stopped himself from what he was about to say, though the Professor still didn't look happy. –Which is a whole lot more than we can say for you.”

Rose stared at James, stunned. She couldn't remember the last time he'd stood up for her, or given her a compliment, even if it was just that she wasn't a stuck up 'prat.'

–Molly,” Neville said slowly, –I believe very strongly in second chances--”

–But Malfoy--”

–I'm not talking about Malfoy,” Neville told her. –I'm talking about you.”

Molly stared blankly, uncomprehending. –What?”

–As I was saying before you interrupted, I believe in second chances... which is why I'm not going to suggest that you be removed from your Prefect position right now.”

–WHAT?!” Molly screamed.

–Victoire and Dominique made a very good point... despite Dominique's somewhat inappropriate use of language,” Neville said, every inch the professor. –You expressed hate for a first year boy you've never so much as spoken to. That kind of behavior is unacceptable in a Prefect. Also unacceptable is discriminating based on House, as you well know. If we were anywhere but at our private tea, and I heard you talking the way you just were, you'd be in detention for a week. As it is, if I ever again hear you saying the things I heard this past hour, you will be stripped of your Prefect status.”

Molly just stared at her Head of House, mouth hanging open in shock. Then she glared and stood up angrily. She looked like she wanted to say something, but apparently decided not risk her Prefect position. So without another word, just an evil glare at Rose, she flounced out of the room.

–Of course,” Rose said, once Molly was gone, –I'm pretty sure my Dad would have agreed with her on every point.”

Neville sighed. –Your mother has told me he hasn't taken it well, but he will get over it.”

–Yeah, that's what she said. But if we think Molly's been an immature prat, what does that say about my Dad, who is actually a grown-up?”

–You're his daughter,” Neville said gently. –Believe me when I say that packs a bit more emotional punch.”

Rose's expression suggested she didn't find this comforting.

–So you really like Slytherin?” James asked, almost eagerly.

–Yes,” Rose said. –I really do. And... thank you, all of you. You didn't have to stand up for me. I didn't expect you to.”

–You didn't expect us to stand up for you?” Dominique asked, sounding hurt. –Give us a little credit!”

–I didn't mean it like that!” Rose said quickly. –Not that I didn't think you'd do it, just that... I didn't think it was your job, or that you ought to, or anything.”

Though, honestly, she hadn't been sure they would take her side, and she still wasn't sure they'd have been nearly as understanding if Molly hadn't been so awful.

–It's not hard to take your part over her,” James pointed out, to unwittingly reinforce Rose's thoughts. –Molly's even more awful that she was before, which I still can't believe was possible, and you just earned a personality.”

–I wasn't aware I'd been lacking one,” Rose said.

–I know you weren't, that was part of the tragedy. But a Weasley all alone in that house, who can win over Slytherins and get invited to a dinner party with Bole, can't be that much of a swot.”

–Seconded,” Al said. –Sorry, not that you're a swot, just that it's pretty cool.”

–No worries,” Rose assured them. –For one thing, I most certainly am a swot, and proud of it, thank you. Besides, I'm not all alone. I don't need back up with my new friends; they are my back up.”

–I'm glad you've adjusted to this unexpected situation so easily,” Neville told her. –It could have been very difficult for you if you hadn't had an open mind.”

–We'll still whip your asses at Quidditch, though,” Dominique said. –But, you know, just remember it's nothing personal.”

Rose laughed. –Let's wait and see if I ever actually make the team before we talk about that,” she suggested. Her eye caught the clock, and she started. –Whoops, I need to be going soon!” she said, standing up. –Thank you for the tea, Neville. I'm sorry everything was such a disaster.”

–It wasn't your fault, Rosie,” he said. –Or at least, no more your fault than any of your cousins'”-- he eyed all of them sternly-- –and less so than some of them. But would you mind if I spoke to you before you left?”

–Sure, what is it?”

–Privately, if you don't mind.”

Rose shared a puzzled look with her cousins, but followed Neville into his study.

–Rosie,” he said, once the door was closed and the cousins couldn't hear, –why do you think Professor Bole changed the tea to a dinner party?”

–Well, because Peony told her that I couldn't come at the original time,” she answered.

–And she changed the time and made the offer more fancy because of you?”

Rose shrugged. –Because Peony wanted me to come, I guess.”

Neville sighed. –Is that what your Slytherin instincts are telling you?”

Rose hesitated. –What do you think it is, then?”

–I don't know. I was hoping you might have some insight.”

She thought for a long moment. –I don't really know,” she said. –But I don't think you should tell my parents about it.”

Neville raised his eyebrows. –Why don't you want them to know? Do you think they'd be angry?”

–Probably,” Rose admitted, –But it's not because I'm worried about getting in trouble. Honestly, it's not. I just have a feeling that's what she wants you to do. And she doesn't like my parents, and forgive me, but I get the idea she doesn't like you either?”

–You're not wrong,” Neville admitted.

–Maybe when she found out I was going to tea with you and my cousins, she planned the dinner right afterward so that you'd know about it.”

Neville sighed. –It's possible. I wouldn't put it past her.”

–Maybe I'm just being paranoid, seeing plots everywhere,” Rose backtracked a little. –I don't want to upset Mum and Dad, but I can't afford, as a Slytherin, to get on Professor Bole's bad side.”

–Okay. I'll have to think about you've said. I don't want you to feel stuck between old school grudges that have nothing to do with you.”

Rose didn't think there was any way to avoid that, but she chose not to say so. –I'll be late. Do you mind if I go now?”

–One more thing,” Neville said. –Your mum tells me you haven't answered her owl yet.”

–Tell her I've just been busy,” Rose said apologetically. –Not because of anything she wrote. I'll get to it as soon as I can.”

–Alright then. Have fun at the party.”

Rose nodded. –Thanks,” she said.

She bid her cousins goodbye, and headed off to spend the rest of the evening with a very different group of people.