Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Final Cause by Pussycat123

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Happy Christmas, Marty.”

“You got me a present?”

“My own girlfriend? Yeah, I thought I’d better.”

“I’ve only been your girlfriend for about a week.” Marty pointed out. If truth be told, she was still getting used to the idea. She had never thought she would be anyone’s girlfriend until Remus had awkwardly confessed his “Together we almost make a whole person” theory just a few days before.

“Really? It feels like longer.”

“Gee, thanks. Sorry to make your life drag on so much.”

He rolled his eyes, and started pulling at the carpet they were both sitting on in his room. “That’s not what I meant at all. I meant ... well, just that it’s felt like you’re my girlfriend ever since we sat here going through all my books last summer. I really think I might love you, you know.”

Marty smiled awkwardly and blushed. She wasn’t used to people saying that kind of thing to her “ people other than her mother or her aunt, that was. “I have a feeling I might love you too,” she admitted, feeling her face get “ if possible “ even redder.

Remus smiled back. “Well, that’s good news then.” And he awkwardly and slowly leaned over, not quite sure of himself, but not wanting to let the opportunity pass, and kissed her softly and carefully. Her eyes fluttered closed without her even telling them to, and she kissed him back. Why on earth had she avoided this for so long? If she had known what she was really missing out on, she never would have bothered with all that “Romance and I don’t mix” baloney.

Remus pulled away and she grinned widely and began ripping the paper off her present. “Right, let’s see what goodies you got for me!”


*~*~*


Marty jumped, and blinked out of her daydream. Why had she been thinking about that particular Christmas, around twenty years earlier? She hadn’t thought about her early days with Remus in so long.

Of course, that didn’t mean she hadn’t been thinking about Remus. How could she not, knowing what was happening in her home country? The only reason she hadn’t gone over there to help him fight (and she knew that was exactly what he would be doing) was because she had Annette to look after, and the minute things started to look bad, she had insisted that Tabby and Garfield leave everything behind and join her in France. She would have insisted on Linden as well, but he had a new position in the Ministry and refused to give it all up and move to a country where he couldn’t speak the language.

“But I can teach you!” she had begged before they had left Britain without him. “It’s not safe here. You don’t understand “ you were just a baby the first time around.”

“So was Harry Potter,” Linden had pointed out, and as usual, upon hearing the name, Marty felt a rush of emotion for the boy who would, in an ideal world, have been her Godson. “And he did just fine. Look, don’t worry about me, okay? Just look after Mum and Dad for me and I’ll be fine.”

“All right. But keep your head down and don’t do anything stupid. I love you.”

“Love you too, sis,” he said, hugging her, and any irritation she had towards him disappeared. It was true, he wasn’t her real brother, but he had grown up thinking himself as such and she wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.

Still. Despite knowing that there was nothing she could do, and that she was better off keeping her family safe far away, she couldn’t help feeling guilty. She had helped the first time around, albeit so secretly that even half the Order wasn’t aware of her involvement. She had spent over a year travelling the world trying to create potential allies “ knowing that her actions could, in the worst possible case, start the first ever international war of wizards. And now, all she was doing was reading the Daily Prophets Linden would send to them overseas, and growing more worried by the day.

But what could she do? Her life was here. She ran a magazine called L’Activiste from her small village cottage in the South of France, she looked after her daughter, and now she looked after her aging aunt and uncle as well. They all depended on her “ there was no way she could just go swanning off back to Britain in order to fight Death Eaters. No matter how much danger Linden “ and, of course, Harry “ might potentially be in. Besides, she was definitely not cut out for front line fighting. She knew enough to defend herself “ anyone who had grown up during the First War did “ but that was all. In the heat of battle, she would be a hindrance rather than a help. And what else could she do? She would just have to be grateful that she was safe here.

Safe...

Struck with a sudden idea, she ran to find a spare quill and parchment.

*~*~*


“Can you believe it’s been a year already?” Marty asked Remus as they waited in Hogsmeade for the Hogwarts Express to take them home for their final Christmas holiday.

“No “ it hardly feels like it at all. Do I get a kiss to mark the occasion? I can conjure some mistletoe if you like.”

Marty smiled. “You don’t need mistletoe OR anniversaries as an excuse,” she pointed out, already on her tiptoes waiting for him. He still seemed to be growing all the time, whereas she was as short as ever. Still, she liked the feeling of having to reach up to kiss him. It felt sweet and romantic.

“Come on, guys, not in public,” Sirius said a couple of minutes later, and they broke off, embarrassed, as if they had forgotten that they were surrounded by people. “Are we going to do this or not?”

“I don’t know,” Marty said, unsure. “Do you think it’s too extreme?”

Sirius spluttered in horror. “Too extreme? It was your bloody idea! You went on and on about the good of humanity and setting off catalysts and all that other shit, and now you’re backing out?”

“Not backing out, I’m just cautious. Lily is going to murder me in my sleep.”

“Oh well, too late now, I’ve already swiped McGonagall’s megaphone. Stand back, it’s about to get loud. Wouldn’t want to deafen your blushing ears.”

Marty and Remus stepped back.

“ATTENTION HOGWARTS STUDENTS,” Sirius announced, standing on his trunk. “Where are Lily Evans and James Potter? Can anybody see them? If you see them, point them out!”

“Potter’s over here!” someone called to Sirius.

“Lily’s here!” shouted Mary MacDonald, clearly ecstatic to be of help “ which was ironic considering she was helping Sirius to get Lily together with the man Mary claimed to be in love with.

“COULD YOU BOTH PLEASE MAKE YOUR WAY OVER TO THE MADMAN WITH THE MEGAPHONE? That’s me by the way.”

Marty and Remus exchanged grins.

“Get lost, Black!” Lily insisted, but she unfortunately couldn’t help her smile. James, meanwhile, bounded over to his best friend like an obedient puppy. Reluctantly, and with a dry look which clearly said, “I’m so much cooler than everybody here,” Lily joined him.

“Now,” Sirius continued. “James Potter, do you admit or deny the fact that you have been in love with Evans for a total of around five years now?”

“I admit that wholeheartedly.”

“Good. Now for the hard part. Lily Evans, do you admit or deny the fact that you too have reciprocated similar warm smushy feelings for James for around one year now, as confirmed by one Marty Price?”

“What? Deny! I DENY THAT! Marty, who the hell have you told?”

“She admits it! Now stop this silliness and snog each other.”

“No! I object! I OBJECT! MARTY I WILL MURDER YOU IN YOUR SLEEP!”

“Told you,” Marty said.


*~*~*


She received the returning owl with apprehension, but also a buzzing excitement which she hadn’t felt in a very long time.


Dear Marty,

As always, it is wonderful to hear from you again. I considered your suggestion carefully, but I am afraid that as delightful as your cottage sounds, I have too many duties as headmaster of Hogwarts to visit you myself at this current time. I will, however, recommend it to some friends of mine who are in need of a holiday. If it is not too much trouble for yourself and your family, please expect a small party to arrive next Tuesday. I am sure you will treat them with the utmost of hospitality.

It truly was a joy to reignite this old acquaintance, and I am eternally indebted to your thoughtfulness at such a time.

The warmest of regards,

Albus Dumbledore



Marty grinned, knowing that he had fully understood the meaning behind her description of her home “where I have never felt so secure in my life”, and open invitation for people to come and stay, “just in case you, or anyone you know, is in need of a break from the horrible British weather.” She knew she had to be careful what she said on parchment, especially when writing to Dumbledore, and she had been slightly concerned that her old skills of coded letter writing had faded over time “ but the party arriving on Tuesday suggested otherwise.

“Aunt Tabby!” she called. “We’re going to have some guests! Do you think you might be able to help me clean?”

“My dear, I thought you’d never ask!”

*~*~*


“Wait a minute,” Remus said, holding up a hand. “Your’s and Sirius’s mad idea actually worked?”

“It was your idea too. And yes, kind of. Not quite the way we’d hoped, what with Lily storming off like that and us not seeing her for the entire train journey, obviously. But apparently later, James managed to track her down, and asked if what Sirius had said was true.”

“About you betraying your confidence to her in order for it to be announced to the entire school?”

“It was for her own good. And yes, that. So she told him that she didn’t know, but she liked him a lot more than she used to, although admittedly that’s not hard. And then he said, ‘How much more?’ and she said she couldn’t decide. And he said, ‘It’s not a decision, it’s how you feel. How do you feel right now?’ And then she kissed him.”

“Wow.”

“I know.

“So you’re just the biggest gossip that ever lived now, aren’t you?”

“I am not! I just like to spread the joy.”

“Yeah, I’ve noticed. To anyone willing to listen. Whether you have the joyful person’s permission or not.”

“Shut up. Have you finished preening yourself yet? You’re only an usher. I’m the bridesmaid and I was ready ages ago.”

“Shouldn’t you be helping the bride then? You know, your aunt? On her big day? Isn’t that your job?”

“Well, yes, but I thought I ought to sneak out so I could check on you.”

“Oh yeah? Why’s that then?”

“Because you just look so adorable in your dress robes, of course!” And with that, she deftly finished the necktie he had been struggling with, and pulled him down towards her so that she could kiss him quickly and sweetly before hurrying back to be with her aunt.


*~*~*


Marty shook her head. She had to stop thinking about Remus “ that was a long time ago, and she was sure he must have moved on by now. She had done, it would be madness for him not to. She had Annette, she had her magazine, she had her house. What more did she need? Apparently a group of about eight strangers living with me, a voice in her head pointed out when suddenly, out of nowhere, such a group appeared in her back garden, clutching an old teapot.

She smiled warmly and stepped towards them. “Hi there. My name’s Marty Price, welcome. I assume that if Dumbledore sent you, you’ll be in need of some rest. Am I right?”

A woman of about her age burst into tears, clutching her two young children to her. “Thank you so much! You “ you don’t know what we’ve been through!”

“Believe me, I have every sympathy, and I want you to know that if there’s anything you need, I work from home so all you have to do is find me and ask.”

“Does that mean we can have some tea soon?” asked an old woman, gripping onto her husband’s hand tightly.

“Absolutely. I’m sure my Aunt Tabby has already made a whole pot now that she’s seen you’re here.”

“Hold on a moment,” a man said, stepping forward. “You can’t expect me to allow you to take these people in before I check your home first? I’m on strict orders from Dumbledore.”

“Of course.”

“What?” the old woman barked at him. “You think she’s gonna try and kill us too? Just look at her! I bet she can’t hardly eat meat without feeling guilty!”

Marty smiled. “Actually, that is something that’s always troubled me.”

The man sighed. “I’m afraid, Mrs Blumenthal, that there is such a thing as Polyjuice Potion, and she doesn’t need to eat you, she only needs to perform one spell to kill you. Another to make you feel unimaginable pain.”

“Well aren’t you a bleedin’ ray of sunshine?”

“Please,” Marty stepped aside and smiling warmly at the man. “You may search my house to your heart’s content, and ask as many questions as you like. But first “ let me at least bring the tea outside for these people. They’ve been through a lot.”

The man looked from her, to the beautiful house before him, and to the seven refugees who were now so close to safety. With the warm sun on his skin, surrounded by greenery and birdsong, it was hard to imagine any danger existing in the world at all “ let alone here. He nodded, and a smile tugged the corners of his mouth reluctantly. “All right. But let me inspect the brew first before it’s served. My name’s Sebastian, by the way.”

“Pleasure to meet you.”

*~*~*


“I can’t believe this is our last day of school ever. That’s just ... just wrong,” Marty said helplessly. She and Remus were sitting by the lake as the sun rose, occasionally looking over to watch the preparations for the seventh years’ outdoor graduation ceremony.

He wrapped his arms tighter around her. “I know. It hardly seems like two days ago that you were asking us to sign your pointless pixie petition.”

She pulled away from him. “Hey! That petition was not pointless. The pixies are wholly misunderstood by the wizarding community, and I for one “”

“All right, I’m sorry!” he insisted, grinning. “You’re right, the pixies are a noble and not at all annoying breed. Now get back here so I can hug you again.”

She stuck out her tongue, but then leaned back against his chest and let him snake his arms back around her front and hold on tight, resting his chin softly on the top of her head.

“Everything’s going to change, isn’t it?” she asked sadly.

“Yeah. Yeah, it probably is,” he admitted truthfully, reaching up to play with a stray piece of her hair.

“What if it’s too difficult? What if we can’t actually cope with life?”

He pulled her even tighter to him. “Marty, there is nothing on this entire planet that you cannot cope with. And as long as I’ve got you, there’s nothing I can’t cope with either.”


*~*~*


“Are you sure you’ve got room for this new four?” Sebastian asked Marty discreetly after his routine security checks were over.

She shrugged. She had been receiving around one new batch a week for the last month, and it was true that her house was beginning to get a little full.

“It’s okay. If we run out of space in the house, we’ll just set up tents outside. As long as people need somewhere to hide, I’ll keep taking them.”

Sebastian smiled. He had grown incredibly fond of this woman over the last month “ she had a strange kind of energy about her that was impossible to define. It was just like an unstoppable force of goodness and optimism. He couldn’t imagine her ever seeing the bad side to any situation.

“Plus, Annette is loving it,” Marty said, watching with a smile as her ten-year-old played with the two children from the first group to arrive. Marty had found out later from their mother that her husband had been killed by Death Eaters “ the only reason she and her children had escaped was because they had happened to be visiting her mother’s for that weekend, and he had been unable to leave work.

“Do “ do you mind if I ask you something personal?” Sebastian asked cautiously, also watching the children playing. The younger two were looking up at Annette in awe, and he was unsurprised. She had long shiny dark hair, and though she spoke English, it was with a distinct French accent “ she must have appeared incredibly glamorous to them.

“Of course not,” Marty said, looking over and smiling at him. “Although whether I answer is another thing.”

“Annette’s father “” he said unsurely. “Does he “ I mean, did he “ what I’m asking is, how “ you know what? Just forget it.”

Marty laughed. “Who’s Annette’s father? Is that what you’re asking?”

“Well “ I mean “ it was too personal. I’m sorry. I should never have asked. It was stupid.”

Marty smiled. He looked ready to crawl into his own stomach out of shame, and his nervous desperation to appear gentlemanly was incredibly endearing. “Of course it wasn’t. The truth is, I have no idea.”

“You “ I’m sorry?” He stared at her. She didn’t seem at all the type to have a daughter without knowing the identity of the father.

She laughed again. “I adopted Annette when she was three-years-old.”

“You ... Ah! I see. Thank goodness.” He let out a nervous chuckle. “That could have been horribly awkward.”

Marty grinned. “Your spluttering certainly didn’t help that. No, I was doing a piece on the Muggle Adoption system for L’Activiste. It’s a magazine for the magical community, but I try to cover a lot of Muggle Causes for it too “ it’s so important that we know about Muggles, and become as used to them as we are to each other. Not to do so just leads to “ well, you know what it leads to. Anyway, I went to the Adoption Centre to interview them, and I found out about this little girl who was giving the people caring for her a lot of trouble. When I delved further, I recognised all the signs of a girl with magic. Well, obviously I couldn’t just let her grow up in a world where she didn’t understand her powers and people treated her like a freak. I enjoyed my work, but I was incredibly lonely, and though I visited my family a lot back in Britain, it wasn’t the same as living with people who love you. And best of all, I would be helping a beautiful little girl in need. It all just seemed so perfect. So I went ahead with it.”

“That’s very selfless of you “ and very brave!”

“Are you kidding? She’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me. It wasn’t about being selfless, that sounds like I made sacrifices. I loved every minute of it. I fell in love with her the very first time we met “ she tugged on my hair and it turned pink. I only wish I could have known her as a baby. Anyway, the truth is, I was so happy that it didn’t feel like I needed any bravery at all. I just did it.”

“But you were on your own!”

“Haven’t you been listening? That’s one of the reasons I wanted to do it so much in the first place. So that I could have a family again “ it’s not like I expected to meet anyone, after all. I’m past all that. And besides, I’m used to doing things on my own. I grew up doing just that as a kid, and I did it again when I left Britain after the war.”

“What about in between?”

She cocked her head to one side. “Sorry?”

He began to feel as if he was crossing a line again “ he should have just left her to herself, but he was so curious about her. He tried again. “In between being a kid and leaving the country as an adult. Your teenage years. At Hogwarts. You weren’t alone then?”

For the first time since he had known her, Sebastian saw some of her energy fade away as she stared at her hands.

“No,” she muttered. “No, I wasn’t alone for all of that.”

*~*~*


Marty was setting up Taffy’s in preparation for the day ahead when an official looking owl pecked at the window. She bit her lip nervously, and crossed her fingers as she let it in. Ripping open the seal and scouring the contents hurriedly, her face broke out into a broad smile. Without a second thought to the tables and chairs she was supposed to be dusting, she bounded over to the fireplace and threw in a handful of floo powder.

Soon, she was stepping out into Remus’s kitchen, where he was sitting at the table eating eggs.

“Guess what!” she chirped, brushing herself down.

“Hi Marty. I’m good thanks. How are you?”

“Yes, we’ll get to that later. Look at this! I got a letter!”

“You did? That’s great, but “ hang on, is it ...”

“It is! Look!”

He looked down and smiled broadly. “Marty, this is amazing! Department of International Magical Cooperation, that’s brilliant!”

He stood and hugged her tightly.

“Are you not going to miss waitressing at the café?” he asked.

She smiled. “Okay, you’re joking, but I actually kind of am. I know I didn’t want to go back there after what happened, but I’m so glad I did. Or, that you and Lily made me, anyway. That place has so much history for me, I’m glad it didn’t just get ruined forever.”

“Well, good. But you can always visit every day if you want “ you know, in between schmoozing with all those foreign ministers and stuff.”

“And seeing you.”

“Yeah. And that,” he said, forgetting about his breakfast completely as he leaned in to kiss her.


*~*~*


When news of Dumbledore’s death reached France, the arrivals of refugees stopped, as did the Daily Prophets from Linden “ in fact, any contact from Britain at all began to be incredibly sparse. And strangely, although her house was more full than it had ever been, she just felt alone. She couldn’t understand it “ she was busy, true, and constantly afraid of whose death she might hear of next, but there was something else. For the first time in years, she would go to bed at night and feel like there was something missing in her life.

It was only when Annette, three months later, asked why Sebastian hadn’t visited in a long time, that the truth finally hit her.

Oh, Merlin. Not this. Not romance again “ I thought I’d left you behind a long time ago.

“He’s, uh, busy, sweetheart. And it’s too dangerous to keep bringing more people here to stay. He has to keep his head down.”

“Because of You-Know-Who?” she asked with a shiver of fear.

“Yes, because of him. But don’t worry, honey, I’m sure Sebastian will be just fine. He can look after himself.” She pulled her daughter into a hug sadly and tried to blink back tears. She hadn’t wanted Annette to ever have to say ‘You-Know-Who’ in that fearful way. It was the worst of the past infecting the very best of the present, and she had noticed a sudden gravity hanging over her daughter’s young head recently. Had she somehow overheard stories of the horrors in Britain? She had been trying so hard to keep her life innocent of that, but there was a definite change in Annette’s behaviour lately. The childish mischief and wonder was slowly taken over by a cautious, nervous look. She would see one of the fatherless children she now shared a bedroom with and, though never having had a father herself, looked desperately sad.

And where was Sebastian? Was he safe? Was he fighting? Was he even alive?

Ever since then, he was never far from Marty’s thoughts. She kept remembering little things he’d said “ his awkward but sincere concern for the safety of her and the refugees “ the way he had played with the children when they had asked him to, his entire demeanour softening as their games took up his entire concentration “ his occasional and surprising bursts of humour lighting up a face which was suddenly and unexpectedly lovely. She wished that the day he had dropped off the final group of runaways, he had stayed behind with them for good.

However, there was nothing she could do now, and no way of contacting him without putting them all at risk. She had to move on, and hope that soon the war would be over so that she could try to contact him to find out whether or not he had even survived.

Many months later, when it seemed as if the war would never end and she was just about used to the idea that she may never see him again, she heard Annette scream in the garden. Literally dropping everything, she sprinted outside, heart pounding and imagination running away with her. If anything happened to her ...

“Look!” Annette said when Marty arrived. “Sebastian’s here!”

“Why did you scream?” Marty demanded angrily as she pulled her into her arms, her heart still racing. “I thought something terrible had happened!”

Annette looked upset. “I’m sorry “ the portkey made me jump. But look “ he’s hurt!”

Marty realised with a jolt that she was right. Sebastian was curled on the ground, pale and shaking, clutching the small figurine he had used as a portkey with all his might.

“Sweetie, go and get your Uncle Garfield “ and quickly!”

*~*~*


“It’s so beautiful!” Marty exclaimed, practically skipping around the new flat with excitement. Remus followed behind a little more calmly.

“Look!” she said. “There’s such a nice view from this window! And we can redecorate! I bet James and Lily would love to help. We can give the bedroom a really nice relaxing colour scheme, and the living room can be just incredibly welcoming and pretty! We can invite people over for dinner and stuff too “ Lily and James can come over, and Sirius can bring whoever he’s currently seeing! And Peter! It’s going to be so lovely!”

“You know,” Remus said a little dryly, “I’m not sure how much time there’s going to be for decorating and dinner parties. Even if we’re not, uh, ‘working’, then Lily, James and Sirius will be. You know what they’re like “ I don’t think they’re going to take a day off until Voldemort’s gone forever. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing.”

“I know, I know. I’m not saying it’s going to be paradise “ nothing is paradise these days. But maybe this could be a kind of “ kind of sanctuary for a while. People can come over and just not think about it for a bit. You know? And then, when it’s over, they’ll be refreshed and able to work even harder.”

Remus smiled. “Okay. If it helps The Cause, how could anyone protest? Now come over here. We’re finally living together again and I want to kiss you some more.”


*~*~*


“Sebastian?” Marty asked softly, knocking on her own bedroom door. “Can I come in?”

“Sure,” came the reply, sounding weak and tired, but not broken. Hopefully that meant Garfield had been right “ he was going to be fine.

She opened the door and crept inside. He was sitting up in her bed, flicking through the latest publication of L’Activiste with the windows wide open, allowing the room to be filled with fresh air.

“How are you feeling?” she asked softly, perching on the end of her bed, and thinking for a moment how strange it should be that the man she had been missing so strongly should all of a sudden be sitting in her bed reading her magazine like nothing unusual was happening at all. Like he was supposed to be there all along.

“A little confused,” he admitted.

“Oh?”

“It’s just “ well, my French isn’t the best, but this magazine is about problems and issues that need fixing, isn’t it? Endangered creatures, caring for the less fortunate, that kind of thing.”

“Yes “ it’s about, well, something I’ve always referred to as The Cause.”

“Then why “ and I may be wrong, like I said, very poor French “ why haven’t you mentioned the biggest Cause of all? I know it’s not happening over here, but you’re British, and you volunteered to open your home to whoever needed refuge. You obviously care about it.”

Marty perched carefully on the end of the bed. “Yes. I do. But the thing is ... well, my Mum and my Aunt were very into The Cause too. I grew up with it. I told you about Taffy’s, didn’t I?”

“Your family’s café? Yes, I think so. I had tea there a couple of times.”

Marty smiled. “Yes “ most people did. Well, for a long time, it was sort of a “ a headquarters for this kind of thing. And when I was in my Fifth Year, all the stuff with You-Know-Who was just beginning to come into the public limelight. And, being who she was, my Mum was running these meetings protesting against what was happening. She was really vocal about it “ and she must have caused a bit of a stir.”

“What happened?”

Marty closed her eyes. It was over twenty years ago “ but it still hurt. She tried so hard to avoid ever speaking about it, ever thinking about it. “It was within the first week of the summer holiday. They came in the middle of the night. Death Eaters “ sent to silence us I suppose. They killed her “ Aunt Tabby managed to escape and take me with her. They didn’t come after us, because they knew we’d understood the warning. Speak out against You-Know-Who “ you and your family will be killed. There’s no way I could ever just sit by and let him do what he does, but I’ve never forgotten what happened either, so I’ve only ever helped in secret. Not to try and keep my own life safe, but for my family. I couldn’t stand to see them killed or hurt because of me, and that’s especially true now I’ve got Annette.”

“I’m so sorry “ that’s ... that’s just awful. I can’t believe you had to go through that.”

Marty shrugged and wiped away a tear in frustration. “I certainly wasn’t the only one to lose people, and I had some good friends. They helped a lot. Also, if you read French properly, you’d realise that while I don’t speak out directly against Voldemort, I do write a lot about Muggles being respected and appreciated “ and also about what a load of crap the purification of blood is.”

“Oh. Well, that’s good then.”

The silence went on a fraction too long, and Marty suddenly looked away nervously. “Anyway. You should probably get some more rest. I only came up here to check on you, and you had me pouring out my life story ...”

“I didn’t mind that.”

“All right then. Get some rest.” She stood, and began to head towards the door.

“Marty “ wait.”

She blinked. “Yes?”

He took a deep breath. He had been thinking about this moment for months, and when he thought he might not make it, the worst thing was knowing that he had never told her, might never know what could happen if he stopped being proper for a moment and told the truth about his feelings. “You’re ... you’re the most amazing woman I’ve ever met.”

She stared at him. “Sorry?”

He sat up further. “I mean it. You’re beautiful and you’re strong and you’re completely selfless and always optimistic, no matter what. I’m stuck here now, because there’s no way I can go back to London. But even if I could ... I wouldn’t want to. I’d want to stay here with you anyway “ forever. For as long as you’d have me. Marty “ I know this is going to sound crazy, and you’ll probably be really uncomfortable and we may never be friends again in the same way. But I have to ask. Marty, you’ve been on your own for so long. Will you let me make sure that never happens again? Will you marry me?”

Marty stared at him. He was mental. Who would do that? Just propose to a woman without even testing the water first, finding out how well they fit, at least going on a couple of dates. This wasn’t a Jane Austen novel. Men don’t just decide they like someone and conclude that marriage is the only option. Not normal, rational modern men. Could it be possible that beneath his aura of awkward, fussy and gentlemanly concern, he was actually insane and impulsive?

“Marty! Sebastian!” Stunned, Marty turned just as Tabby burst through the door. “Have you heard? He’s dead! It’s over! Voldemort’s dead! Oh, but Marty darling ... there’s something else. It’s about Remus ... he didn’t survive the battle. He’s gone.”

*~*~*


Marty was waiting for Remus to come home in the middle of the night “ he should have arrived by now. He should have arrived a long time ago. She hadn’t heard from any of the others either, and she suddenly wished she had a more active role. Sure, she helped with a lot of the organisational side, but she wished she could be more like Lily “ fearlessly fighting on the front lines alongside her husband. At least that way, she could be there to help him, and if anything awful happened, at least she would be there to see it for herself, to know exactly what happened, not just hear about it from others.

Suddenly, the fireplace roared into life, and Lily herself appeared.

Marty’s heart constricted. What if her fears were finally coming true? Why else would Lily be here looking so grave without Remus?

“He’s going to be okay,” Lily said quickly, seeing her expression. “Don’t look like that, he’s going to be fine.”

“Oh thank Merlin,” Marty breathed in utter relief, but it only lasted for a moment. “But something did happen?”

“Yeah, it did. I’m so sorry. There were spells flying everywhere, and we were trying to look out for each other but ...”

“It’s not your fault,” she insisted, moving over to her friend and hugging her tightly. “Is he at St Mungo’s?”

“Yes. Come on, we’ll go together ...”

When they finally reached his small room, Marty saw that it was practically full already “ James, Sirius and Peter were all there, as were Dumbledore and the Longbottoms.

“Um “ is everyone else okay?” she asked, nervous of the answer. But she smiled when they all nodded and assured her that everyone was fine.

“We’ll, uh, give you some privacy,” James said, standing and motioning for the others to follow him out. Marty smiled gratefully, and then threw herself down next to Remus’s bed, holding on to him tightly until he groaned, and she quickly relaxed her grip, realising she was hurting him further.

“Oh, Remus,” she whispered. “You scared me so much. Don’t ever leave me, okay? You have to be safe. I don’t know how I’d live without you.”


*~*~*


Marty brushed away a tear. Now wasn’t the time to cry for Remus, not yet. And those memories that kept plaguing her were a long time ago “ she had moved on since then, and so had he. She had found out that he had been married to one of Sirius’s many cousins, and even had a son. Her heart broke to think of the boy growing up an orphan, and never knowing how wonderful his father had been.

It was strange being back in England after so long “ somehow she always forgot how cold it could get, even when it was supposed to be warm. She wrapped her coat around herself a little tighter.

“Are you sure about this?” Linden asked. “You don’t have to go, you know. You and Remus were a long time ago, I only just remember him from when I was a kid. I mean, sure, he was a great guy and everything, but there are plenty of other places we could go. Will anyone there even know who you are?”

“Probably not,” she admitted. “But I’m not going for them. Linden, you don’t understand what a huge part of my life he was for so many years. If it hadn’t been for the war I almost certainly would have married him “ maybe even had kids of our own. I’m not saying I wish it had happened that way “ I never would have found Annette otherwise. But there’s no way I can miss his funeral. I won’t talk to anyone, I’ll just sit at the back, and slip out once it’s over. No one even has to know I’m there.”

Linden sighed. There was no way of persuading her, he knew that. He supposed all he could do now was be there to support her.

They arrived at the edge of a forest for the ceremony “ already there was a large crowd, as the service was not just for Remus, but his wife Nymphadora too. Marty stayed at the back as she had promised, keeping her head down, but surveying the people from under her eyelashes, trying to spot the one person she was most curious to meet. She couldn’t see him anywhere, but with a jolt she saw an elderly woman, cradling a baby with bright green hair “ it could only be Teddy, Remus’s son, whom she had heard was a metamorphmagus like his mother.

Suddenly, someone began to speak, addressing the crowd “ she looked up, and her heart skipped a beat.

“That’s him!” Linden hissed excitedly, forgetting the situation for a moment. “That’s Harry Potter!”

As if she needed telling. It was like staring straight at James, with Lily’s eyes looking back. She was struck by how incredibly young he was. She had heard his story numerous times since arriving back in England “ you heard it everywhere you went “ but it was only at that moment that she fully realised that all those things had been done by a seventeen-year-old boy. Still, his eyes looked far older and sadder than most other boys of his age she had seen.

“Remus Lupin was the best teacher I ever had,” Harry began. “And Nymphadora one of the bravest and most dedicated Aurors. And together they had the two of the kindest hearts.” Here, he paused, closed his eyes for a moment as if trying to steady himself, and carried on. “Tom Riddle may be dead, but our freedom came at a price “ a price that will haunt all of us forever. Their son, Teddy, will never know his parents, but he will have people who love him and care for him. I know that his grandmother will tell him many stories of his Mum as he grows up “ and as his Godfather, I will tell him many stories of his Dad. Because we must always remember those we have lost “ those who sacrificed themselves for us. Because I know from experience how powerful that love can be, more powerful than anything in the world. And we must never forget it “ just like we must never forget them. Thank you.”

He stepped down, and took his place in the front row as someone else stood up to speak. Marty saw him rest his head wearily on the shoulder of a girl with red hair. From behind, they could have been Lily and James, and Marty wiped away more tears as the enormity of all the lives lost washed over her. So many of her friends “ so many of the best people she had ever known.

Linden rested his hand on top of her spare one. She looked up at him and he smiled at her sadly. Many people may have died, she thought “ but many good people still lived. And that had to be enough.

*~*~*


“Do you have to go?” he asked her as he held her in his arms the night before she left on her mission “ neither of them had any hope of getting any sleep.

“Remus. Not this, not again. You know I do.”

“I’m not saying don’t go, not this time. Just “ do you have to? Can’t we just stay like this forever?”

“I wish we could. But you know I have to. Just remember that I love you. Whenever you’re alone, just remember that. I love you and I’m coming home, I promise. I’m coming home as fast as I can.”

“That’s a promise?”

“That’s a promise. Just keep safe. I don’t know how I’d survive knowing I didn’t have you waiting for me. You really do mean the whole world to me.”

“I love you too. I can’t remember what it was like not having you in my life “ it was just dark and sadness before you. I don’t ever want to go back to that.”

“You won’t,” she said, resting her hands on top of his and stroking her thumbs up and down. “I will do everything I can to make sure that never happens. I love you.”


*~*~*


“So are you nervous?” Marty asked Annette, adjusting her dress for her. “You’re going to get a new Dad!”

“Shouldn’t it be the other way around?”

“Sorry?”

“Shouldn’t I be saying ‘Are you nervous? You’re going to get a new husband’?”

“I suppose it’s a change for both of us “ especially with you going to Beauxbatons in September. I’m so proud of you!”

“I’ve not done anything yet.”

Marty smiled, and hugged her. “Yes you have. The way you helped me look after all those people in need? The way you’ve accepted all these changes without a word of complaint? And of course how very pretty you look in your dress right now “ no mother wouldn’t be proud to have you.”

Annette beamed. “You look pretty too.”

Marty grinned, and winked. “Thanks kiddo. Now, are you ready?”

She nodded firmly, suddenly looking very sincere and prepared, like a little doll.

Marty bent down and kissed her on the cheek. “All right then “ lead the way. And smile, sweetie. Smiling is the most important thing in the world. If you don’t smile, then you just let all the badness in the world win, and you can never do that.”

They stepped outside into the garden, and music began to play. The guests all stood. On one side were Sebastian’s friends and family. On the other, she saw Tabby, Linden and Garfield at the very front, and behind them, every single seat was taken “ she hadn’t thought many would come for her side, but now she could almost have sworn that more seats must have been added to accommodate them all. She saw the faces of people from the village she had grown to know, people she worked with in order to make her magazine “ and the face of every single person she had given refuge to, some for over a year. And that was a lot of people.

However, she only looked at this for a moment. Because at the end of the aisle was Sebastian, quite literally beaming as he saw the two of them walking towards him.

She could never replace Remus. She had truly and genuinely loved him, and every minute of the time that they had spent together. But she had a lot of love in her heart, and she knew that she loved Sebastian just as much.

She knew this wasn’t happy ever after “ such a thing has never, and can never exist. But she couldn’t wait to start working on making it as close as she could get.