Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Directorate by HPFanObsessed

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

I'd like to say a BIG thank you to my beta!!! Thank you SO much hogwartsbookworm!!

Also, please note:
1) I know McGonagall retired after Book 7, but her return to Hogwarts will be discussed in a later chapter
2) Rose may *seem to be an exact clone of her mother, but other personality traits will soon prove otherwise

Enjoy!!! Please leave some reviews!! I'd love to hear your thoughts/suggestions/questions! Beta: hogwartsbookworm
Chapter Notes: This first chapter jumps right into the action after the sorting. Albus is in his first day at Hogwarts. That's really all you need to know...I hope you enjoy!!! Please keep in mind that this first chapter is really just setting up the story, establishing the personalities of the main characters and setting the stage for the action to come. Therefore, it's not the absolute most exciting or suspenseful chapter

Credit to JKR for being an absolute genius...Thanks for giving us the gift of your amazing literature!
“You’re going to be sick, Albus. Seriously!” said Rose exasperatedly as she watched her cousin inhale Yorkshire puddings. “You’d think you’d never eaten before! Slow down!”

Albus smiled. He had never felt so happy, having just been sorted into Gryffindor after months of worrying that the Sorting Hat would choose Slytherin for him instead. Seated beside his extended family and surrounded by the children of his parents’ friends and colleagues, Albus finally felt at ease. Not only was he a Gryffindor, but he appeared to be well on his way to making friends, already having met many of his fellow first-years. Perhaps his father had been right all along; Hogwarts was his home. And after a week of dreading his arrival at the school, unable to stomach food despite the tempting dishes his mother prepared, Albus’ appetite had indeed returned.

“I wonder when they’re going to hand out our schedules. I’m so excited for class,” said Rose. Albus nudged Roxanne, George and Angelina’s first-year daughter. Everyone in the Potter-Weasley clan, and beyond, were well-aware that Rose was a near clone of her brilliant mother, Hermione.

“I’m just exhausted. Who knew a train ride could be so tiring? Plus, all this food is going to put me in a coma. Mind you, it’s worth it. Have you tried the treacle tart?” Albus said, transitioning onto dessert.

Rose rolled her eyes, but inside, she understood. The excitement alone was enough to make one feel ravenous.

The hundreds of other students appeared to be getting full, and the boisterous, celebratory chatter that had taken place at the beginning of the meal was definitely quieted by the overconsumption of food and pumpkin juice. As Albus reached across Rose for yet another Eccles cake, the dishes disappeared from the Great Hall’s long tables, along with the numerous drink spills and crumbs strewn about.

Professor McGonagall got to her feet, and stood at the front of the Head Table. Albus felt a complete silence around him, even from the Slytherin table. No one would cross Professor McGonagall, and Albus had the deepest respect from her. His own father had railed on about the merits of her teaching and leadership, and even though Albus had only just met her, he could see she deserved, and expected, the utmost respect.

“Now that we have all shared this delicious meal, I must make a few start-of-term announcements. First, I must impress upon all of you the true importance of following the School rules. You are all well- aware, or will become aware of them,” she said, making eye-contact with a particularly rowdy Slytherin first-year, “and I assure you that misbehavior will not be tolerated.” James, Albus’ older brother, seated a few places down at the Gryffindor table, smiled and high-fived his best-friend, Carter Wilkinson. The two were trouble-makers, and Albus’ parents had received many less-than-favorable messages from the school last year about James’ mischievousness. Needless to say, Albus’ mother had pulled him aside prior to leaving for the train station, and made it clear that “Your father and I expect a little more maturity and restraint” from him than James displayed. Thankfully, Albus’ father was more understanding. Mrs. Potter’s comment was followed by a wink from Mr. Potter, who simply told Albus to “stay out of trouble and work hard.” Easy enough, thought Albus. Indeed, Albus had often been the victim of James’ practical jokes back at home in Godric’s Hollow. James’ leaving for Hogwarts last year had been a bit of a relief for Albus; Sitting down to a family meal was no longer a dangerous proposition. James was an avid consumer of Weasley products, and they often made their way into Albus’ glass of milk or pumpkin juice.

“As usual, Quidditch trials will begin next week. First-years, please know that you are not eligible for competitive play, but you will begin Flying lessons tomorrow.” This statement was met with varying responses. While many pure-blood first-years were outraged at this prohibition, Muggle-borns appeared torn between feelings of absolute astonishment, excitement and terror at the thought of flying. Albus figured he would have some explaining to do for his Muggle-born peers.

“Now, I wish you all a purely positive school-year. Work hard and you will succeed. We ask that you do your best, and I am confident that all have you have great potential to grow as wizards and witches in the coming school-year". McGonagall proceeded with a slightly sarcastic tone. "Now, it is time for our beloved school song-“

She raised her wand, apparently preparing to cue in the students, but before she got a chance, hundreds of voices started bellowing at the tune at horrifyingly different speeds and pitches. Albus knew the words, having been taught them by James a week prior to leaving for Hogwarts, but he preferred to listen, smiling at the sense of sheer love each of the students and teachers seemed to have for the school.

“It’s like a little safe-haven. You’d never know the ministry’s falling to pieces with the state the school’s in. McGonagall doesn’t seem phased by any of it,” Albus said quietly as the song died down.
“Yeah, that’s true. But after all, Hogwarts has never really reported back to the Ministry,” Rose replied.
“I guess. Still, with the way our parents worry, you’d think the whole world’s falling apart.”