Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Directorate by HPFanObsessed

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: A big thank you to my beta, Bookworm!!!!!
“We’ve only got a few minutes,” said Rose impatiently, eying her watch and her time-table with trepidation. She absolutely refused to be late to her very first class at Hogwarts, but she didn’t want to go alone.

“Rose, seriously,” said Albus as he grabbed another slice of buttered toast, “We’re fine. It’s not going to take us long to get there.” Albus and Rose had been close for years; all the kids in the Potter-Weasley family were friends, much like siblings. The Weasleys often came to visit the Potters, so Albus and Rose had essentially grown up together. Because of their ages, Rose and Albus, just like Hugo and Lily, had been constant play-mates at family gatherings.

“Don’t blame me when we lose points for Gryffindor!” Rose responded. Little did she know that Albus and Philippe had already had a run-in with the law.

Albus finished his breakfast and he, Matthew and Philippe were led out of the Great Hall by Rose, speed-walking in fear that being late to History of Magic would leave a bad impression on Professor Binns.

“You know he’s a ghost, like Nearly Headless Nick?” Albus said to Matthew as Rose led them toward a staircase to the First Floor.

“Who?” Matthew asked.

“Binns. History of Magic.”

Matthew’s eyes widened and he smiled. Albus, however, was not quite as excited for their first class. Upon receiving their timetables early that morning, Albus had been very disappointed to learn not only that the Gryffindor first years’ first class was History of Magic (notoriously boring), but that they would be paired with Slytherin for it.

The five students arrived at the History of Magic classroom just a few minutes later. Rose had studied a map of Hogwarts prior to arrival, and appeared to already know her way around. As they entered the room, Rose was visibly relieved that Professor Binns had not already arrived.

Just seconds later, though, a short, bearded ghost floated through the blackboard at the front of the room. The students rushed to take their seats. Apparently, Rose was not the only student determined to make a good impression.

Albus sat at a table near the back of the room, but far on the right side, next to Philippe. Directly in front of them sat Matthew and Julian, who had arrived on his own before Albus’ group. Rose, of course, had taken a place in the front row. Albus looked to his left, -the Slytherin side, -and to his dismay, realized he was in the same row as Scorpius Malfoy, the pale, blonde son of Draco Malfoy, one of Albus’ father’s enemies. Mr. Potter always tried not to discuss Ministry affairs in front of the kids, but Albus knew that Uncle Ron still held a major grudge against Draco, and Albus had overheard the parents gossiping about the Malfoy family on multiple occasions. Uncle Ron had even warned Rose against befriending Scorpius, who apparently was having trouble making friends anyway; he sat alone at the two-person desk.

“Welcome to History of Magic. Here, you will learn of the most momentous events in wizarding history. This class is lecture and reading-based, and it will be taught chronologically. I expect you all have Bathilda Bagshot’s A History of Magic,” said Professor Binns in a monotone voice as he rifled through a folder, likely looking for the rollbook.

“Ah. Now, we can begin,” he said, and he began calling the roll as Scorpius looked over to his right, noticing Albus for the first time.

“Psst. You’re Albus Potter?” Scorpius said with clear distaste.

“Yeah. Scorpius Malfoy, right?”

Scorpius nodded his head curtly and turned back to face the front of the class, but then immediately leaned over again toward Albus.

“I don’t know what your parents are telling you, but let me make one thing clear: if you start any rumors about my family, you will really regret it.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” said Albus.

“Yes, you do. Don’t play dumb, although with the Weasley blood in you, I guess you probably aren’t going to set the world on fire with your brilliance,” Scorpius said with a smirk. “Present!” he called out to Professor Binns as the teacher reached his name in the roll.

Philippe turned around in his seat, having apparently overheard Scorpius’ threat. “What the hell is he talking about?” he asked.

Albus shrugged. Professor Binns finished taking roll and fished out a large packet of notes from his tattered leather bag.

“I expect you all to take notes. A test on today’s material should not come as a surprise next class,” said Binns.

***


Over the next few days, Albus and the others experienced their first classes at Hogwarts, and while disappointed by the hours and hours of homework, everyone, or at least all the Gryffindor first-years, seemed absolutely in love with school. Especially if Rose was willing to lend a hand with essay-writing.

“You know, it’s really not right, Albus. What if he springs a pop quiz on us or something? Then he’ll realize you aren’t actually doing your own homework, and it’ll be awfully awkward considering he’s been to every single one of your birthday parties and all of our Christmas dinners,” Rose said as she, Albus, Matthew and Philippe sat on the floor of the Gryffindor Common Room (having been kicked out of the comfy love-seats by some seventh-years). Despite her complaining, Rose continued adding the finishing touches to Albus’ thirty-six inch essay on various medicinal plants, having proclaimed his original draft “riddled with mistakes.”

Matthew and Philippe were reviewing Transfiguration together, as Professor McGonagall had warned the first-years that every year, the students were very much under-prepared for their first test. As the two frantically skimmed the textbook’s first chapter, reciting entire sentences to one another in an attempt to ingrain the statements in their minds, Matthew and Philippe had no doubt McGonagall was correct in assuming this years’ test results would be no better than usual.

It was nearly eleven o’clock, and Matthew and Philippe decided their best bet for doing reasonably well on the next day’s test was getting enough sleep; they headed upstairs, leaving Rose and Albus alone in the Common Room. Over the last half-hour, the room had been completely emptied of all students. Albus, who had been reviewing Transfiguration on his own with some flashcards, closed his book and turned to Rose.

“You done with that yet? Seriously, if it’s too good, he’ll know it’s not me,” he laughed, realizing his cousin was still perfecting his Herbology essay.

“Oh, it won’t be too good, Albus. Honestly,” Rose said, proof-reading the conclusion paragraph. Albus snatched the essay out of her hands.

“Seriously, thank you. You saved my life,” Albus said.

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t count on this every night,” Rose replied, gathering her materials to go to her own dormitory room. “I’ve got my own work, you know.”

“I know. But after all, Rose, you’re the smartest of all of us. You could probably do this stuff in your sleep. You and your mother could practically be twins,” Albus said with a genuine smile.

“I hate it when people say that,” Rose said huffily, haphazardly grabbing her books and running off toward the staircase without saying goodnight. Albus knew she was mad, but couldn’t quite understand why.

“Hey, wait up. What’s wrong, Rose? Come on, you’re brilliant. You know-“

“Albus, it’s so unfair. Everyone just figures it’s no big deal. Everyone thinks it’s so easy being-being her daughter. I just hate it,” Rose snapped at Albus, stopping on the first step of the spiral staircase.

“What on earth-“

“It’s so frustrating! I mean, I know I’m not dumb, but everyone thinks I have to be just like her. And she’s so insistent on my getting perfect grades. It’s-it’s just not fair. Why can’t-“ Rose said quickly as tears welled up in her eyes. Albus couldn’t believe his ears. Rose had always loved school, even the boring non-magical material Aunt Hermione had taught Rose before Hogwarts. Rose was a bookworm, and everyone joked she would turn out just like her mother.

“Rose, you are smart,” Albus said, pulling his cousin off the first step and sitting her down next to him on a nearby couch.

“I know that. I mean, I really do. But I’m not brilliant. I’m not like her. I don’t care how much time she spent studying; she’s a genius. And I’ll never be good enough. It’s not natural for me, you know. I’m not clever or wit-“

“I find that a little hard to believe, Rose,” Albus said, struck by Rose’s open-ness.

“It’s true. Everything comes so naturally to her,” Rose replied, looking down at her feet.

“Yeah, well, you think you have it bad?” Albus asked.

“What-“

“Oh, come on. My dad’s “the Chosen One”, the “Boy who lived! How do you think I feel?” Albus said. He felt as though a major burden had been lifted from his chest.

“Well-“

“Listen, Rose. You think it’s tough living up to your mum’s brilliance? What about my dad? Everywhere we go, someone’s asking for his signature or thanking him for “what he’s done for mankind.” And they always make some comment about me having a lot to live up to. As though I really needed someone to remind me of it,” Albus ranted on.

“I’m sorry, Albus. I really am. I think we’ve both had a long day,” Rose replied.

Albus nodded his head, startled by his own outburst. He and Rose had a brother-sister relationship, but he couldn’t remember a time when they’d really had a serious conversation.

“Goodnight, Albus. I’m sorry I went crazy on you like that,” Rose said, getting up from the couch and heading off toward the staircase.

“Yeah, me too. ‘Night,” Albus replied as he dragged his tired legs up the other staircase.