Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Spark by panda_patronus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hi! This chapter is kinda different because it is all really from Rose's point of view. Enjoy!
Rose Weasley was making her way to the prefects’ carriage, determined to show that she was made for this position. She was as ready as ever for this year. She had spent all summer reading her course books, trying to memorize them all. She had to be the best this year; O.W.L. year is huge. She was anxious, but she would survive. At least until Scorpius Malfoy would get in her way.

She knew he would, because he always found a way to cause her downfall. She had saw him on Platform 9 ¾ this morning with a rather devious look on his face as he glanced in her direction. She was no Legilimens, but she had been in school with him long enough to know what that look meant. He seemed to understand how she ticked and just how to push her buttons to their bursting point. She had seen his prefect badge glinting on his chest, just as hers probably was, and she registered that she would have to put up with him even more this year. Unluckily for Rose, Gryffindors had every class with the Slytherins, and Scorpius took the additional classes of Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, and Care of Magical Creatures just like she did, so it wasn’t as if she didn’t see him a lot all ready.

Finally navigating her way through the crowded train, she opened the door of the prefects’ carriage to find the new Head Boy and Girl, Kirsten Spinnet from Gryffindor and Ian Macmillan from Hufflepuff, sitting in there, waiting for the prefects to arrive. She was disappointed to see that she wasn’t the first prefect there.

“Morning, Weasley,” drawled Scorpius while a nasty smirk played at his lips. He hadn’t changed that much over the summer. His white blond hair was ruffled in a casual way and she could see that he had definitely been working out, for the muscles on his arms were toned to the perfect measure and she could see a perfectly defined chest through his white shirt. His stormy gray eyes were sparkling in the morning sun, and his pale skin was flawless. Though Rose would refuse to admit it, he was handsome. Most girls considered him the hottest boy in her year. This comment alone would make Rose gag. His arrogant attitude completely turned her off, as did the fact that she hated him and he her.

“Malfoy,” replied Rose stiffly, sitting down cautiously in a seat on the side of the compartment that Scorpius was not occupying. The compartment was roomy, probably because of the fact that many prefects sit here every year. Shortly, all the prefects had made their arrival, Albus Potter being one of the last to arrive. He had a flustered look about him as he sat down next to Rose.

"Where have you been?” Rose muttered as Kirsten and Ian started to explain the prefect duties and procedures to new prefects.

Running a hand through his jet-black hair, Albus said out of the corner of his mouth, “Your brother and my sister thought it would be funny to set off a few of Uncle George’s fireworks in a compartment. Unfortunately, the compartment was filled with first years. It took forever to calm them down.” Rose made a mental note to kick Hugo for this, as well as Lily.

“…so now you will all be monitoring the hallways between compartments,” finished Kirsten. Rose was alarmed. She hadn’t listened to a word the Head Boy and Girl had been saying, and that was a first.

“Now, we are going to put you all in pairs and you and your partner will patrol your designated areas,” said Ian, looking at all the new prefects with a pompous look on his face. It was common knowledge that he wanted this position more than anything, and now that he had it you could tell it was hard for him to hide his pride. “Albus, you go with Evanna.” Albus smiled weakly at Evanna Goldstein, who was a prefect in Ravenclaw. She and fellow Gryffindors in her year always got on well.

“Rose, you go with Scorpius,” said Kirsten. Rose froze.

“Excuse me?” she asked, thinking that she had heard Kirsten wrong.
Kirsten, with a quizzical look on her face, repeated, “You will be patrolling with Scorpius. That’s not a problem, is it?”

Stealing a sideways glance at Scorpius, who was smirking in a way only Malfoys can at her discomfort, she composed herself and replied, “Of course not.”

Kirsten smiled and said, “Great! Now let’s get to it.”

Rose and Scorpius made their way to their area in silence. Rose knew that whatever happened when they were on patrol was not going to end well. When they reached the corridor, Rose was pleased to see that everything seemed orderly. For now, at least. Rose said awkwardly “Um…well, everything seems to be okay.” Scorpius, who was still smirking, leaned against one of the doorways in a seductive sort of way, his hands in his pockets.

“Tell me something I don’t know,” he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. Rose, her brown eyes narrowed, turned to glare at him, her hands on her hips.

“You can drop the sarcasm, Malfoy.” Scorpius stopped leaning and took a step towards Rose.
“Now,” drawled Scorpius, who was now dangerously close to Rose, and she was using all of her will power to look him directly in his steely gray eyes. “Why should I drop it, when I know it bothers you so?”

Scorpius, Rose realized, had grown over the summer, much more than she had. He was a head taller than her, and that made him seem much more menacing when he was staring you down. He was so close that she could smell his spearmint toothpaste. Rose backed away from him, determined not to let him win this battle.

“What’s the matter?” Scorpius whispered, and as he did so he pulled out his wand. “Can’t take the heat?” Rose instinctively pulled out her wand too. Who did Scorpius think he was kidding? She was a better duelist, and both knew it. Yet there was fierce determination in Scorpius’ face as he said, “Rictusempra!”

Rose dodged this hex and the purple jet of light collided with one of the doors of one of the compartments, which cracked. Rose said, “Expelliarmus!” and Scorpius’ wand went spiraling out of his hand and she, with her Quidditch instincts, caught it in her other hand. Then she pointed her wand at Scorpius’ chest, and he backed up against one wall of the corridor. They were both panting.

“I….win,” panted Rose as she continued to keep Scorpius pinned against the wall as her wand point touched his chest with malice.

“What is going on here?” said a voice from the opposite end of the corridor.

Scorpius and Rose both turned their heads to see Ian Macmillan walking towards them, his arms crossed over his chest. Rose then realized what this scene looked like.
“I can explain,” she began, but Ian cut across her. He pointed at Scorpius.

“You tell me what happened,” he demanded. Scorpius took a breath and then started his version of what happened.

“Well, Weasley here seems to think that no one is at the liberty of their own opinion except herself. I simply stated my opinion about the House Cup, and about how I was sure Slytherin was going to win this year, and she started to hex me. Now, it is against my oath to fight girls, so I didn’t know what to do, and here we are,” concluded Scorpius, with a look of fake self-pity on his flawless face. Rose was too stunned to speak. She could not believe Scorpius. Well, she could, but they weren’t even at Hogwarts yet and he already caused mayhem. Rose then tried to tell Ian what really happened, but, yet again, Ian ignored her.

“Miss Weasley, I expected better of you. A fight in the corridors of a train packed with younger students simply isn’t setting a good reputation for you as a prefect or as a Gryffindor. Also, you started a fight over Mr. Malfoy’s simple statement, which I find extremely stupid. I know that I cannot officially take points until term starts, but know that I will be taking 15 points from Gryffindor for this.” Rose hung her head in shame. This was the first time she had lost her house more than 5 points, and for something that hadn’t even been true, and they weren’t even at school yet.

Ian then talked to both fifth years. “You patrolling duties are over for now. You both may go find a compartment with your friends to sit in.” With that said, he mended the cracked compartment door with a nonverbal spell, and turned on his heel and began to walk briskly back to the prefects’ carriage.

Rose went to go find her cousins’ compartment, but before she could go, a drawling voice whispered in her ear “Correction: I win.” With a final smirk on his face, Scorpius sauntered down the corridor to find the Slytherin fifth year compartment as Rose glared after him. Rose knew one thing for sure: This was going to be a long year.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading! Please review!