Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Spark by panda_patronus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks for everyone who's reading! I get really excited when I see positive feedback! Now, on to Chapter 4! Enjoy!
“…And I hope this is the beginning of a great year!” concluded Professor McGonagall, positively beaming at all the students in the Great Hall. The Sorting had finished, the meals had been eaten, and announcements had been made. The Great Hall was now filled with little first years excitedly making new friends, talking about the interesting classes, and explaining to Muggle-born students everything they could possibly need to know about the wizarding world. Older students weren’t nearly as excited. They had been through the mill, they knew the ropes. Another year at Hogwarts would be a breeze for them. Seventh year students almost couldn’t believe that it was their last ever Welcome Feast. Hogwarts was like a home away from home to them.

Rose, on one side of the Great Hall, was listening intently, while Scorpius, on the other, had no clue whatsoever what McGonagall was talking about.

“What’s the old loon talking about now?” he muttered to Luke, who was staring off at no spot in particular, drool slowly dripping out of the corner of his mouth. Luke shrugged, and Scorpius sighed, shaking his head. Rose, on the other hand, whipped around and began to chatter excitedly to her cousins and Hugo, who knew exactly how to act when she stated to do this: just smile and nod.

“Did you hear about the new Potions club? It sounds very exciting, I think I’ll join…oh, and can you believe that Hagrid is importing some new creature for Care of Magical Creatures? I hope it’s not too dangerous, remember when he showed us those Blast-Ended Skrewts? I didn’t enjoy them much, they rather frightened me, and my dad didn’t take a fancy to them either. Oh, and-” Rose abruptly stopped, seeing that everyone in the Great Hall was getting up to end off to their house common rooms. Rose decided to take the liberty to direct the first years.

“First years, this way, please!” she called over the sea of scarlet and gold that was rushing past her. A few smaller students approached her, looking rather nervous but excited. Albus, grumbling about how Rose should wait for him the next time she starts to do some prefect duty, took the rear to make sure that none of the first years got lost. As Rose led the way through the large doorframe that was the entrance and exit of the Great Hall, she felt someone brush by her. In the moment her skin touched the stranger’s, she felt a shivered delightedly. The touch felt like an electric shock, but much better than that. When the sensation stopped, Rose felt as if she wanted more of that…that…Spark, Rose decided silently. She looked up to see who the stranger was, and when she saw who it was, she gasped.

Scorpius Malfoy was standing there, a trail of little Slytherins dressed in green and silver looking at him with a look of admiration. The other Slytherin prefect, Lindy Rowle, who was taking up the rear of the first year Slytherins, looked up curiously to see what was going on. Scorpius looked as though he felt the same sentiment as well, but that emotion quickly changed to antagonism when he saw Rose gaping at him.

“Never seen a real man before, Weasley?” he sneered, for she was still gaping. “I’m not surprised. I mean, looking at the company you keep,” “he nodded in Albus’s direction-“I wouldn’t expect you to.” Albus said a few of Rose’s father’s favorite choice words, and Scorpius smirked triumphantly at him at him. Rose composed herself and found her voice.

“You call yourself a man?” She laughed a short, humorless laugh. “Wow, and I am surprised you can even get through this doorway, let alone make people want to stand within 5 feet of you, your head is so colossal.”Scorpius’s smirk was wiped off his face and all the first years, both Slytherin and Gryffindor, grew quiet, waiting to see what would happen next.

Rose suddenly had an idea. “I have better things to do than waste my time associating myself with you tonight, Malfoy,” she said as she pushed past him, forcing the two of them to touch again. As if someone had pressed a repeat button, there was that spark. Rose’s idea worked. It was proof that she hadn’t really imagined that feeling. She hurried away from the Slytherins, the first years and Albus in her wake. Scorpius was left standing blankly in the doorframe, trying to decipher what had just happened.

****


Scorpius was lying in his four poster bed, staring at the ceiling above. What had he felt when Rose touched him? Even though he hated to admit it, he had liked that tingling sensation. He had never felt that way with anyone, anyone, before, and of all the people he shared a mutual feeling with, it just so happened to be the main source of his irritation and annoyance: Rose Weasley. He knew that she had felt it too, for she would not have looked up to see who she had brushed by if she had not. He was questioning if he had simply imagined it, if it had been some reverie he had. All he knew as that he had no idea what that simple touch was going to lead to, and it would most definitely not be what he expected. And, as he was thinking this, little did he know that Rose Weasley was lying in her bed, thinking the same.
Chapter Endnotes: Thank you to all my wonderful readers! Please review! It would make my day!