Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Spark by panda_patronus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hello my wonderful readers! Sorry it has been so long since I updated or replied to reviews, I was on vacation for a while. But I'm back now and ready to get my quill moving! hope you enjoy Chapter 5!
“Rose, talk to me. What’s up?” Albus asked his cousin yet again. It was their first morning of classes. They had Care of Magical Creatures first, and, luckily for all students, it was a nice sunny day on the Hogwarts grounds. Rose had been so preoccupied with thinking about the “Spark”, as she called it, that all of her relatives have noticed something was on her mind. What exactly was that 'spark', and how did it happen? Rose would get answers.

Rose continually insisted that she was fine, but Albus, of all her cousins, always knew when she was lying. He was usually very easy to talk to, despite the fact that he would tease her something dreadful if it was an embarrassing secret. Albus had this kind of charm that could make people do exactly what he wanted them to do. Albus was proud of this, while Rose found it unnerving.

Rose tried to brush past Albus without having to finally crack and tell him what was on her mind, but, as always, Albus was persistent. He grabbed Rose’s arm and pulled her back, turning her to face him. He was strong, so Rose knew that she shouldn’t waste her time wrestling him, for she would probably just embarrass herself in the process. Avoiding looking Albus in his bright green eyes, Rose said angrily, “Look, Al. It is none of your business if there is something ‘up’ with me, just leave me alone and stop being a git.” Like she knew he would, Albus flushed furiously and began to fight back.

“I’m the git? I’m not the one avoiding her own family just because I have some issues I’m not capable of dealing with.”

“Excuse me; I don’t remember telling you that I have ‘issues’, but, now that you mention it, the only pain in my backside right now is you!”

“You are such a little-”

“What the hell are you two arguing about today?” said a drawling voice from behind them. Rose and Albus turned to see Scorpius walking down the path behind them, caring his copy of the Monster Book of Monsters, looking both tired and irritable.

Albus insensitively let go of Rose’s arm, muttering, “Mind your own business, Malfoy”. Rose, on the other hand, flushed a brilliant shade of scarlet as her warm eyes found the cold ones. She quickly dropped her gaze and ran away from Albus and Scorpius, kicking up dust as she did so. As Scorpius watched Albus sprint to catch up with his cousin, he realized he was flushed as well. Thinking it must be because of how humid it was outside, he shrugged it off and continued to trudge up the path.

By the time she got to Hagrid’s paddock, she was panting from the run she just had. Albus caught up with her, cursing under his breath.

“Why did you have to run so fast?” he wheezed, clutching a stitch in his side. “And why did you blush when Malfoy showed up?” Rose flushed again, refusing to answer. He noticed? thought Rose furiously. Why do these things always happen to me?

Albus suddenly had that mischievous smile on his face that James usually got when he was up to no good. “Whatever’s bugging you has to do with him, doesn’t it?” Rose responded by turning away, but not before Albus saw her face turn an even deeper scarlet.

“I knew it!” Albus said triumphantly, punching the air with his fist. His expression quickly turned sullen. “What did he do to you, Rosie? I swear, if he harmed you at all, I’ll go over there and kick his arse.”

Rose, making sure that she had stopped blushing, turned to Albus, her hands on her hips. “Thanks for being there for me, Al, but I’m a big girl; I can stand up for myself. Why else would the hat have put me in Gryffindor?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” came a very cool voice that was directly behind her. Rose turned again and was unsurprised to see that it was Scorpius, who was leaning up against one side of the paddock in that seductive way of his. He looked even more handsome as the sun hit his beautiful features, and his hair emitted a pearly glow. That nasty smirk of his was back. “Maybe the hat put you in Gryffindor because it realized that’s where all grimy half bloods seem to go, not to mention filthy little Mudbloods like your mother, Weasley. But, then again, most dunderheads go to Gryffindor, and just by glancing at your family you can tell you belong there-”

WHAM! Rose punched Scorpius in the face, hard. Scorpius staggered and fell into the paddock, which broke, and he landed in a rather large pile of hippogriff poo. As Scorpius began to curse loudly, Rose, growled through gritted teeth, “Don’t you dare call my mother a Mudblood, Malfoy. Or insult my family.” Everyone in the class fell silent, and Albus looked too stunned to speak. Rose began to talk again, but Scorpius saw this ahead of time.

Quick as a whip, Scorpius pulled out his wand, pointed it at Rose’s mouth, and yelled “Scourgify!” Retching, Rose fell over into a large overgrown bush, as big pink bubbles started to erupt out of her mouth. Scorpius stood up, siphoned off the dung with his wand, and called spitefully over to Rose, who looked choked(for bubbles were still being produced out of her mouth), “You need to learn to keep your mouth shut. You talk way too much.”

Rose was slowly losing her ability to breathe because the bubbles were clogging her windpipe. Her hands scrambled around her neck as she began to clumsily stand again.

Scorpius muttered the counter curse and Rose began to take long, raspy breaths. For a moment Scorpius felt bad about what he had done, but that emotion quickly vanished when Rose gasped “Flipendo!” while her wand was pointed at his chest. Scorpius felt like Rose had punched him again as he was knocked backwards, a large prickly branch slashing his face as this happened. He tenderly put a hand up to his pale cheek, where he could feel a deep gash, as well as something warm and sticky trickling down is face. As he took his hand away, he saw the scarlet blood stand out vibrantly against his pale skin. Overcome with fury, he stood up and pointed his wand at Rose, who had finally started to e breathe normally again, as she continued to do the same with hers.

They were shouting jinxes at the top of their lungs, and the witnesses of this fascinating spectacle were too stunned to do anything. Rose, without realizing it, was backing up closer and closer to Hagrid’s hut, and Scorpius saw his chance to win this. Disarming Rose, he grabbed her by her wrists and pushed her up against the side of the hut, her wand flying behind him and Rose yelping in pain. Her arms were positioned on either side of her face and she was unable to move them. She tried to squirm free, but her attempts were feeble against Scorpius’s strong hold on her; it looked like all that working out he did during the summer wasn’t a waste of time after all.

Scorpius and Rose were close now, and the only sound that could be heard was the heavy breathing of everyone by the paddock. Albus broke the silence. “Malfoy, you bastard, get your hands off my cousin!” he yelled at Scorpius’s back.

“Don’t worry, Potter,” Scorpius called back, looking directly into Rose’s fierce and slightly terrified eyes. “You can take your dear cousin to the Hospital Wing when I’m done with her.”

“Is that a threat?” whispered Rose furiously, glaring at Scorpius’s face, unsuccessfully hiding the fear in her voice.

“No,” Scorpius whispered back, tightening his grip on Rose, watching her eyes water in pain, getting ready to grab his wand at just the right moment. “It’s about to become a fact.”

But before Scorpius had the chance to anything, a husky voice came from the direction of the path that they took to get to the paddock, “Sorry I’m late! We got a lot to do today, an’ I got you lot in fer a surprise! Yer gonna love this creature, I’m tellin’ ya…Blimey, what’s going on here?”

Hagrid had appeared, walking down to the class, abruptly stopping when he saw the spectacle before him. “Rose?” he asked gruffly, his beetle eyes flicking back and forth between Rose and Scorpius. “Malfoy, what’s going on?”

Scorpius and Rose glared at each other once more before Scorpius let go of her roughly, saying “Nothing’s going on,” as he strutted over to his fellow Slytherins. Hagrid and Rose both saw him touch the gash on his face again, wincing in pain and in disgust as he felt the trickling blood. Hagrid approached Rose, his beetle eyes alight with a fire she had never seen before.

“Rosie, I’m serious, was he hurting you? ‘Cause if he was, I swear, I won’ sleep till I see the end of tha’ good fer nothing-”

“Hagrid,” Rose interrupted quietly. “I’m fine. We just got into a little fight, and you just happened to see the worst of it. I’m fine,” she persisted, for Hagrid looked ready to interrupt her. She turned away from Hagrid and walked back to Albus, who looked as though he was ready to shoot daggers at Scorpius.

Rose had a sudden thought. “Hagrid?” she asked as she walked back over to him. “Would you mind if you didn’t tell my father about this? He might murder someone.”

Rose saw a furious Hagrid smile for a fraction of a second, and then he muttered “All righ’, all righ’. I won’ tell Ron. Mind you, you owe me fer not tellin’ a soul about this.”

“Deal,” smiled Rose as she and Hagrid walked over to the rest of the class.

While Hagrid was teaching, neither Scorpius nor Rose was paying attention. For a moment their eyes met, and Scorpius’s hand shot toward the gash on his cheek, while Rose’s went to one of her now bruised wrists. As they looked away, they both had the same ferocious fire welling up inside of each other, and they were thinking the same thing: This was not over.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks you all sooooooooo much for reading! Please review if you get a chance, it would make my day!!