Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Journey Back by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Ten

"So what's going to happen to her now?" asked Ron the next day.

They were sitting around the Granger's living room, having spent most of the previous day at the Australian Ministry of Magic debriefing on what had happened at Cliffhaven. After cleaning up, finding something to eat, and a long night's rest, they were all finally starting to feel human again. Ron's ankle was still a bit stiff, but his shoulder was healed, and he seemed ready for things to go back to normal. He had even talked about going home, but Hermione wasn't sure what her future held, given she had quit her old job and had a new one in Sydney, and she had avoided the issue each time he had mentioned it. He seemed frustrated, but so much had happened, and there were still so many loose ends to tie up that she could barely think straight. She forced herself to concentrate on the conversation.

"I think she's going to stay here," Harry said, helping himself to more of her mother's biscuits. "Frankly, I got the impression that Shacklebolt doesn't want her anywhere near the Wizengamot for trial."

Ron snorted. "Makes sense, considering her father is Chief Warlock." Hermione shook her head.

"Oh no, he'll resign for sure," she said. "I've talked with him several times, and this will not sit well with him. He'll be mortified."

"Already done," said Harry, his mouth half full. "I talked to Kingsley just a while ago. Greengrass resigned almost as soon as Kingsley had finished telling him about Daphne. They've appointed Millicent Bagnold as Acting Chief Warlock until the council can vote next month."

"Good," Ron said with a vigorous nod. "So if he's gone, then why not try her in England?"

Harry shrugged. "She's done just as much damage down here."

"She was plotting against the British Ministry, not the Australian Ministry," Ron pointed out. Hermione nodded in agreement this time.

"He's right, Harry. She should go back to Britain. Why is Kingsley letting the Australians have her?"

"I think it has to do with the whole smuggling operation," Harry said. "I'm not high enough to get details, but I think with Daphne down here, they can make a case against her uncle as well…as well as avoid embarrassing the former Chief Warlock any more than necessary."

Ron snorted. "I bet Malfoy didn't like that much, considering how hard she cold cocked him." He paused. "Or maybe he'd rather it stayed down here, since he's marrying into the family. Is his fiancée as crazy as her sister?"

Harry shook his head. "I have no idea and I don't care. He left this morning. Didn't even say goodbye to Goyle."

"Guess they're not mates anymore, then?" Ron laughed bitterly. "Gits. When are you heading back?"

"I have to stay to make sure the Australian Ministry is clear on things from our end." He sighed. "Hopefully it will only be another day or two."

"I can help," said Hermione. "I know as much about it if not more than you do. It happened to me, after all."

She noticed Ron frowning. "What?" she asked.

He glanced at Harry, either for support or because he was uncomfortable bringing something up. "You're not going back then?" he said, his voice neutral, though Hermione knew he was holding back.

"I don't know, Ron," she said softly. "I was supposed to start my new job tomorrow. They've given me a few extra days, but…" She trailed off at the look on his face.

"You're still going to work for the Australian Ministry? After all that's happened down here?" he asked, and now his voice was starting to sound both hurt and angry.

"Ron, I quit my old job and committed to a new one," she began, but he cut her off. From the corner of her eye she could see Harry attempting to shrink into the background.

"But you only came down here to protect your parents," he protested. "They're safe now, Hermione--and so are you. There's no reason to stay here!"

"Ron, it's more complicated than that," Hermione said. "I can't just leave now, I have a responsibility…" Once again she stopped, unable to continue past the accusatory look on his face. "Ron, I'm sorry, but I--"

Her mother came in then, glancing around as she felt the tension in the room. "Hermione, there's someone here to see you all."

Ron grumbled as Hermione sighed and nodded; they would have to talk it out sometime, and Ron wasn't going to wait forever. She understood, she did--and she wanted to go back to England and continue her work there. But her parents had been threatened, and she had a new job in Sydney, and maybe she could make a difference in Australia too.

Hermione shook her head of stray thoughts and stood as Katherine Kelly entered the front room. Kyle Walker was right behind her, a grin on his face.

"Muggle in the room! Hide your wands." He laughed, and everyone except Ron laughed with him. Hermione walked over to hug him, ignoring Ron's frown. She noticed Katherine watching her oddly as well, and stepped back quickly, smiling at them both.

"Don't worry, you're not alone," said her father, coming up behind them. "We're Muggles too." He held out his hand to Kyle. "Thank you for everything you did for my daughter."

"You mean, get caught?" Kyle laughed. "No, thank that guy over there. He's the one who really figured things out." He pointed at Ron; Hermione was glad he hadn't pointed at Harry, because Ron was positively glowering now at the bushman now.

"Yes, he's been brilliant," Tom agreed. "I hope he sticks around."

Hermione just about choked, as it was such an obvious allusion to what had happened at the airport. If Ron had noticed it, he ignored it. He looked at Katherine instead. "What's he still doing here? I thought there was protocol to follow?"

"Ron!" Hermione exclaimed. "Kyle helped us out there--"

Katherine stopped her. "No, he's right. I'm sure it's the same up there when Muggles are involved in magical matters. He was scheduled to be Obliviated last night." She smiled and gave Kyle a sly, sideways glance. "But I put in a good word for him, and they are reviewing his case. We're thinking he might make a good liason."

Ron was staring at them skeptically; Hermione was confused. "Liason to what?" she asked.

"Muggle Liason Office, working for the Department of Magical Creatures." Kyle shrugged as if he had no idea what Katherine was talking about, but he was grinning broadly and standing close, occasionally touching her arm. She smiled back at him, and Hermione suspected if they hadn't been in such a public place, Katherine would have taken his hand and snogged him senseless right there.

"He's seen so much, I think he'd be great at it," said Katherine.

"That’s my department," Hermione said. "We'll both be new then."

"You saw the inside of a cave," Ron asked skeptically. "When have you seen any magical creatures?"

"Katherine says they can always use a good guide in the bush--and I can fill them in on all the boring things like crocodiles and dingoes and such while they bring me up to speed on all the other creatures out there I've apparently missed." He stopped and looked away. "As crazy as it's been, I'd really hate to have to forget everything that's happened--everyone I've met." He turned back to Katherine, and she blushed. Hermione was certain she was right; they had definitely connected.

Ron sighed and set down his cup. "That's great. Good luck down here. I've got to get back to England, though. George will be needing the help--"

"Stay a few days, Ron," Harry interrupted. "George is all right."

"How do you know?" Ron asked. Hermione watched the exchange curiously.

"Because I also heard from Ginny this morning. She said everyone understands and George is managing fine. She's on her way down here, actually." He paused and glanced away with a slight cough. "With your mum and dad."

Ron froze, and even Hermione frowned. Why in the world were they all coming down to Sydney now that everything was over? Ron asked the same thing, though in a far more direct and less friendly manner.

"Ginny is coming down to see me, not you," Harry pointed out. "Like I said, I'm stuck here at least another day or two settling things with OMI and the Australian Ministry, so she's going to join me and then we're going to take a few days to ourselves." He paused with raised eyebrows. "You know, finish our honeymoon and all that."

"Oh Harry!" Hermione exclaimed. "I completely forgot you were in France. I'm so sorry I got you into this!"

Harry waved her off with a laugh. "It's all right, Hermione. We both understand and we wouldn't do anything less for our friends."

"So why do my parents feel the need to tag along?" Ron grumbled.

"I think they just want to be sure you're both all right." Harry paused. "And Hermione's parents as well. They're just worried, Ron."

"I'm a grown adult," he muttered. "They can stop worrying already. I survived a year on the run without them."

The uncomfortable silence that filled the room was finally interrupted by Hermione's mother. "Well, I think it will be lovely to see them again. If something were to happen to Hermione in England, we'd be on the first plane back." Hermione gave her a grateful smile. "They can stay here and have the guestroom. Hermione, you can work a bit of magic in there, can't you? Make it a bit bigger, add another bed--just for the short term, of course."

"Of course, mum," Hermione murmured, still watching Ron. "Thank you."

"More tea, anyone?" she asked, getting up to go to the kitchen.

"Or perhaps a good old fashioned beer?" asked her father. "I think it's late enough in the day--and you've all earned it."

"I'd like one," Kyle said, nodding. "I've never liked tea much, if you can believe that. I'll help you."

He followed her father into the kitchen, leaving Ron staring after them with an even deeper scowl. It was as if the Muggles had wanted to leave the wizards on their own. There was another awkward silence, until Harry finally broke it.

"Sorry about your mum and dad, Ron," he murmured. "Ginny tried to talk them out of it, but you know them."

Ron rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I know them. They just want to help, but always end up crashing other people's parties."

No one responded, and Hermione sighed as she saw the storm coming. Ron stared out the window, his face cloudy, his body stiff. She wasn't sure if he was still tired or genuinely upset to see his parents. Katherine began talking quietly with Harry about the case, leaving Hermione open to talk to Ron.

"It's not that bad, Ron," she said sofly. "I mean, it's no inconvenience whatsoever, and--"

"You know why they're really coming, don't you?" he interrupted, his voice flat. The look in his eyes, however, was different. He wasn't angry so much as he was…sad, maybe. Hopeless, perhaps. She did know she wasn't sure what he was talking about.

"They're worried about us," she said. "Like Harry said, they just want to be sure we're all okay. I left in a hurry, you left without saying anything, Harry left in the middle of his honeymoon--I'm imagine they're panicking."

Ron just glanced sideways at her before he sighed. "That's not why they're coming, Hermione."

"Then why do you think they're putting themselves through four or five Portkeys to get here?" Hermione demanded, unable to keep the impatience from her voice. "You could give them a bit of credit for being concerned, you know."

"They're not concerned," Ron snapped. '"They're nosy. And I don't want to see them now." He turned and left the room so abruptly Hermione felt her mouth drop. She turned to Harry, lips moving soundlessly.

"What is he talking about?" she finally managed. Harry shrugged nonchalantly, but a small smile played at the corners of his mouth as he adjusted his glasses.

"Probably that ring burning a hole in his pocket," he murmured. He let that sink in before continuing. "Arthur told Ginny. They're probably expecting an announcement, only Ron doesn't have one for them…does he?"

Hermione's hand flew to her mouth. She hadn't forgotten about Ron's proposal, not exactly, but she hadn't really thought about it either. Yet Ron hadn't followed her to Australia knowing she'd been kidnapped by Daphne Greengrass: he'd come after she had turned him down. Had he been planning on proposing again? Was that why he was so upset?

She jumped up. "I have to--"

"--go talk to him," said Harry, nodding. "Go on."

"But Harry," she said, and she glanced at Katherine before deciding it didn't matter who heard what she had to say anymore. "I don't know what to do, what to say. I already turned him down. I said no. I can't just take it back."

"Do you want to?" Harry asked bluntly.

"Do I want to what?" Hermione asked. For some reason, she couldn't seem to think straight.

"Take it back?" he asked, rolling his eyes. "Merlin, Hermione, you two can be thick sometimes. Here's how I see it: he asked you to marry him, but you said no because Daphne Greengrass had threatened your parents. So you came down here to start a new job and protect them."

Hermione nodded. To her surprise, Katherine joined in. "I met Ron at the Ministry when he arrived, and he said he'd come to Australia for a second chance with his girlfriend. He came to ask you again. Getting kidnapped just sort of ruined that."

"So now that Daphne is out of the way and your parents are safe, what's it going to be?" asked Harry. "Are you really going to stay down here with them or come back to England where you belong?"

"Harry, it's not that simple," Hermione said, glancing nervously into the backyard. Ron was standing there, staring over the fence, his arms crossed over his chest as if he was waiting for her to follow him out. "I have a job here, and nothing there…" She trailed off at the look on Harry's face.

"Bollocks, Hermione. You can get your old job back in a heartbeat, and I'm sure the Australians would understand if you explained things to them." Katherine nodded in agreement.

"Do you love him?" she asked. "Because he obviously loves you very much." Her frank insight surprised Hermione; they had just met the day before after all. She could only nod in response, however, as her mind continued to turn cartwheels.

"Then I don't see the problem," stated Harry. He turned her around and pushed her toward the back door. "Talk to him. Now."

Hermione stumbled through the kitchen without a word to her parents and down the stairs into the back yard. Ron had settled under a tree and was plucking up blades of grass, tossing them listlessly into a growing pile. He glanced up at her and frowned.

"Don't feel like sharing a beer with Kangaroo Kyle?" he grumbled. And then Hermione recognized what else was bothering him: on top of coming down to talk her into marrying him only to learn she had been blackmailed and kidnapped, he had then found her tied up in a cave with a handsome Muggle television star. She shook her head, trying not to patronize him, but sometimes he was so ridiculous…

"I don't like beer, Ron--you know that." She sat down next to him and they were quiet for a bit. "Besides, he's not my type." His head shot up, and she smiled at him. "Honestly, Ron, you know that too. What's really bothering you?"

"Nothing," he sighed, sitting up a bit straighter. "I'm just tired. I'm just ready to…" He trailed off and laughed bitterly. "Go home, I guess."

Hermione nodded. "I never thanked you for coming, for helping me."

"You're welcome," he replied with a shrug.

"I know it's not why you came down here though," she continued. It was hard for them to talk sometimes: they talked in circles quite a bit until they finally broke through and could open up to one another. Apparently this was one of those times.

"Things happen," he said. "Sometimes people get blackmailed and kidnapped by crazy witches bent on revenge for something that happened five years ago."

Hermione burst out laughing, and Ron grinned. It sounded ridiculous when it was put that way. He shook it off quickly, though. "No, it's not why I came down here. But I'm glad I did, because I don't know what I'd do if something had happened to you." He looked away, and Hermione took his hand, forcing him to look back at her.

"Why did you come, Ron?" she asked softly, even though she knew Harry was right. Ron was quiet for a long time.

"I was going to try again," he finally said. "But I see now that you want to be here. You want to stay, so I'm not going to do that to you, make you say no again." He looked away, again, a sad look on his face. "I'm not going to do that to me."

Hermione took a deep breath. She had definitely dug herself into a deep hole at the airport when she had rejected his proposal, and everything that had happened since had only made it deeper. It would be hard to fix, but then they had been through much, much worse.

"A part of me does want to stay," she said. "To watch over my parents. You have no idea how frightening it was to get that photograph--to know they were in my family's house, watching them without anyone even knowing." She shuddered just thinking about it. "I know the Ministry here can take care of them, but I just can't bear the thought of anything happening to them because of me."

Ron was silent, so she continued. "But a part of me never wanted to come in the first place--a big part. I want to go back, Ron, I really do." He finally looked at her, and his face was so honestly, openly miserable that she bit back tears at the thought of being the one to cause it. She reached out to touch his cheek.

He took her hand from his face and held it in his lap, looking down for a moment, but when he looked back up his eyes were blazing. She thought for a moment that he was angry with her until he suddenly and unexpectedly leaned forward and kissed her. One hand wrapped around her hair and pulled her toward him, and she quickly felt her entire body respond to the passion in his kiss. Yet it was short: he pulled away, leaning his forehead against hers.

"Then come back with me," he murmured, his voice cracking. "Marry me."

She gasped, not expecting him to ask again so soon. "Ron, I don't know what to say--"

"Say yes," he whispered, brushing a stray lock of hair from her face and still looking intently into her eyes. "Say you will. Say you love me."

"I do love you Ron," she murmured, tears springing to her own eyes. Why was this so hard? Why didn't she just follow her heart and say what she wanted to say? The biggest obstacle was gone: her parents were safe now, their enemies behind bars. Why couldn't she say it? "But I just--"

He stopped her again, kissing her as the tears fell down her cheeks, wetting them both. "I'll stay," he said when he pulled back once more. "Just say yes."

"You'd stay here, in Sydney?" she said, shocked at his words.

"I'd do anything for you, Hermione," he replied, wiping away a tear from her face. "You know that."

"But why?" she whispered. And then, just like that, he was the old Ron again, not this strangely intense and emotional Ron.

"Because I don't want to see you take up with some git from the Outback." He grinned, but caressed her cheek at the same time. "And because I love you and I want to spend my life with you. I know I don't say it much, but I do."

She stared at him, and as she did, she felt the last bit of reluctance inside begin to crumble. He had traveled halfway across the world for her, and now he was willing to stay. She loved him, and he loved her. As Harry had said, what was the problem?

"Yes," she said, her voice stronger than she would have thought. But then she was suddenly, deliriously happy. She smiled broadly and threw her arms around his neck. "Yes, I will!"

And he kissed her once more before reaching into his pocket and pulling out the ring he had offered her once before. This time she let him slip it onto her finger, and she held it up to admire just how beautiful it was. Arthur Weasley might have pushed him into it at the airport, but Ron had done this all by himself. It was perfect.

"Ron, you don't have to stay," she said after they had kissed again. He tilted his head and gave her a funny grin.

"I don't fancy a long-distance marriage much," he said. She laughed and shook her head.

"No, let's go back home. We don't belong here."

His eyes widened as he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close as he kissed the top of her head. "Are you certain?" he asked, sounding concerned. "Because I imagine Sydney could use a good joke shop somewhere."

"I'm sure it could," Hermione replied, smiling to herself. "But no, let's go home. Not right away--I'd like to stay to see things through here." She glanced up at him. "Do you think George could spare you a bit longer? You were pretty involved yourself, after all. The Australian Ministry might need us as witnesses and such."

Ron nodded slowly. "Or they might need some help shutting down the rest of the Greengrass operation."

"Exactly," replied Hermione. "A few weeks, maybe a month or two. I'd feel much better leaving my parents if I knew there was nothing left to worry about."

"It's a plan, then," Ron replied. "George can get on without me. Or he can hire that cute assistant he's always wanted."

"Oh, he'll definitely do that." Hermione laughed, and Ron joined her. "And he'll love you for it." She settled into his arms once more. "And once we go back, maybe we can plan for a spring wedding?"

"That sounds perfect," Ron replied, and he sounded like he meant it. "Whatever you want."

She sat up and narrowed her eyes at him. "I'll hold you too that, you know."

"You do that," he murmured, pulling her close. He kissed her again, and she returned his embrace, relishing the simple joy of having finally resolved both her head and her heart…until they were interrupted by a cough from the back door.

"Ginny's going to be disappointed she missed it, you know," said Harry, hands crossed over his chest and a very knowing look on his face. "I think that's why she's really coming."

Hermione burst into laughter, but Ron stood up and blew his breath out at Harry. "Thanks a lot, mate. Way to ruin a moment."

"And what was that you said during your toast last week?" Harry replied, pretending to think. "Oh yes, something about what you'd do if you ever walked in on your little sister while--"

"Never mind," Ron said, but he was laughing as he took Hermione's hand and led her back toward the house. He punched Harry in the arm as they passed. "But I will."

Harry stopped him and pulled him into a hug. "Congratulations, Ron." Then he grabbed Hermione and pulled her in as well. "You too, Hermione. I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks, Harry," said Hermione as she disentangled herself. "I'm glad you're the first to know, but I should go tell my parents, too."

He let them pass with a wave of his hand. "And the Weasleys will be here later tonight. We can have a proper celebration."

Ron groaned, but Hermione linked her arm in his. "It'll be fine, Ron. That's why they're coming, isn't it?"

He nodded a bit sheepishly. "Yes, I'm sure that's why they're coming. They'll be happy, too, considering how it went the first time. They'll be surprised we're staying on a bit down here, though."

Harry was walking behind them. He didn't seem surprised at all. "No, they'll be fine."

"Really?" asked Hermione, hoping Molly Weasley wouldn't hold it against her if Ron stayed in Australia for a month or two.

Harry stopped and gave them a very serious look. "They'll understand. You two have been through a lot over the last few days. You've found your way back to each other, and when you're ready, you'll make the journey back home and get married. It's as simple as that. They'll be thrilled for you."

Hermione kissed him on the cheek. "Thanks, Harry," she said, and Ron simply nodded. Hermione could tell he had no words, which was rare, but sweet. She took his hand again and led him toward the front room. "Come on, let's go tell my parents."

"Tell us what?" asked her father as she stepped into the room, hand-in-hand with Ron, Harry by their side. Hermione glanced at Ron and smiled.

"We're getting married."

* * *
Chapter Endnotes: The End!
I must admit, when I started this forever ago and titled it, I did not have any plans for them to stay in Sydney for any length of time. So reconciling that title with this unexpected turn was interesting. Hope you enjoyed the conclusion!
Thank you so much to Julia for beta-reading this thing and teaching me all about Australia (we must brew tea in the bush sometime!!) and to Lori for her R/H expertise and consulting support. And to everyone who has read and reviewed, a heartfelt thank you as well!