Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Journey Back by Gmariam

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 7

"So that's why you called me?" asked Katherine Kelly, sitting across the table from Ron in a small cafe at the Sydney airport. "A hunch and a cappuccino cup?"

Ron frowned at her. "It says 'Help-Hermione' on it. What more do you need?"

Katherine was silent as she studied him. She was obviously thinking, and Ron felt himself growing more and more impatient as she took her time trying to put everything together. It seemed obvious to him, yet for someone who worked in the Office of Magical Intelligence, she was being awfully slow about it.

"I'm not being slow," she said. "I'm being deliberate—careful."

"Are you reading my mind?" Ron demanded. "Because that's private!"

"No, your face says it all," she said, shaking her head. "And I believe you, so I have no reason to dig through your brain, even if I could. We just need someplace to start."

"What do you mean?"

Katherine raised her eyebrows. "You were an Auror. How would you go about finding a missing person?"

Ron thought about it. He had only worked a missing person case a few times, but they had always started by interviewing the witnesses and canvassing the last place the victim had been seen. When he told her as much, she shook her head again.

"Only we're in Muggle territory, and I'm guessing no one saw anything or the police would be all over the airport. Although…" She stood abruptly, finishing her drink. "Let's go. Perhaps security caught something on camera."

Ron nodded. He had heard of such things in important Muggle areas, though he had never seen them. He had no idea how they would get a hold of such information, however, and asked Katherine how she intended to do so as they walked purposefully down the terminal.

"I have some authority," she said. She pulled out a badge as they approached the nearest airport employee. "Can you please direct me to the security office? I'm investigating the disappearance of a young woman on a recent flight from England."

The worker glanced at her badge and straightened immediately. "Of course, ma'am. This way."

He led them into the heart of the airport toward the main security office. Ron leaned toward Katherine and whispered, "How did you do that?"

"A sort of Confundus Charm on the badge," she murmured back with a pleased smile. "I really do have the authority to do this, only Muggles aren't suppose to know I even exist so it involves a bit of unfortunate deception."

"A magical badge," Ron nodded appreciatively. "I would have liked one of those."

"Oh, I'm sure they've got them in British intelligence," she said, stepping into a small room with Ron. The airport employee backed out and told them the head of security would be right with them.

"Not that I know of," said Ron. He didn't even know if there was a magical intelligence office in the British ministry, but he would never admit it. Instead, he glanced around. The room was plain and simple, with a table, two chairs and a large mirror; he felt like he was being questioned rather than about to ask questions.

"Of course you don't know," said Katherine. "Intelligence is secret. I'll have to Obliviate you after all this."

Ron stopped and stared at her. "Are you serious?"

She laughed as another man entered wearing a more official looking uniform. "Of course not. OMI humour."

"Hilarious." Ron turned toward the officer who had just entered. He was a short, rotund man with a big black mustache and beady black eyes. He looked a bit comical, truth be told, but as soon as he opened his mouth Ron could tell the man meant business.

"Director Roberts," he introduced himself curtly. He glanced at Katherine's badge without even acknowledging it. "I've been told you are investigating the disappearance of a passenger?"

"Yes, sir," said Katherine, tucking the magical badge back into her pocket. "I'm Katherine Kelly, and this is Ronald Weasley. He was meeting the young woman when she failed to arrive."

The officer nodded slowly, narrowed eyes studying them. "And you're certain she was on the plane? Didn't just change her mind and stay home in her pajamas?" he asked.

"Yes, sir, as far as we can tell, she was on her scheduled flight," replied Katherine.

"And you're sure she didn't find another way home from the airport?" he asked.

"No, sir. It's been several hours now and we haven't heard from her. And we found this."

She handed the director the cup. He frowned skeptically. "'Help-Hermione'? What sort of name is Hermione?"

"British, sir," replied Katherine. "She was coming to stay with her parents."

The officer raised his eyebrows as he handed the cup back. "And where are they now?"

Katherine gave a delicate cough. "They've gone home, sir. I told them we'd handle it here and call them. I put a protective detail on them as well."

"Of course you did," murmured the director, his tone sarcastic. "Well, what do you want me to do then?"

Ron felt his irritation with the gruff man finally get the better of him. "How about searching the airport for her? How about—"

Katherine put a hand on his arm as she faced Roberts. "We'd actually like to see the security tapes from the time her flight arrived. We were hoping we might see something."

Roberts gave her a disparaging look. "Something my people missed?"

"No sir, but if she's been taken, it would have been very…discreet."

The security director snorted. "People don't disappear like magic from major airports, Ms. Kelly. Especially mine. But you're welcome to look. Follow me."

He led them into a second room down the hallway, a much larger area filled with all sorts of Muggle televisions, each showing a different view of the airport. Several other security officers were watching the screens, carefully following everything that happened in the airport. Ron couldn't imagine how they had not seen what happened to Hermione, unless it had been magically concealed; the sudden thought alarmed him.

"Thomas!" barked the director. "Cooperate with this young lady here. She's looking for someone. I've got to get some coffee." He grunted at them and left. Katherine gave Ron an amused look, then turned and smiled brightly at Thomas.

"Thank you for helping us," she said, showing him her badge. His eyes widened, and he smiled nervously. "Our missing person was on flight QF320. Can you show us the security footage from her gate at about six o'clock this morning?"

"Sure thing, ma'am," replied Thomas. His fingers flew over the keyboard in front of him, and Ron shook his head in amazement at the achievements of Muggles. Soon Thomas had brought up video footage of the gate where Hermione's plane had landed, and sure enough, they saw her come through the gate with her shoulder bag and head toward baggage claim and customs.

Katherine nodded when Ron pointed her out, his heart racing. She was there, in Australia, so he was right—something had obviously happened in the airport and she had left the cup as a clue. "Can you stay with her, Thomas?" Katherine asked, leaning in closer. "We know she made it through customs, but probably not much further."

The officer nodded and began typing again. They watched as Hermione waited for her luggage, went through customs, and then stopped for a cappuccino. She continued toward the arrivals terminal where Ron and her parents had been waiting. And then Ron noticed someone behind her, someone he had met years ago and would never forget…

"I know that man!" he exclaimed. Thomas jumped in surprise.

"Which one?" asked Katherine, squinting at the screen. "Wait, I know him, too."

Ron glanced at her in surprise. "How do you know him?"

She stood up, looking grim. "I've been watching him for months, that’s how. And you?"

"He…" Ron trailed off, glancing around the room. They were surrounded by Muggles; he couldn't very well tell her what had happened five years ago during one of the greatest wizarding conflicts England had ever seen. He quickly cast a Muffliato spell, hoping that would keep anyone from overhearing.

"He was a Snatcher in England during the war," he said softly. "I know because he captured us—me, Hermione, and Harry. Brought us in." Ron felt his lips curl at the memory. The man on the screen brought back dark thoughts—of Malfoy Manor, of Hermione's torture, of their narrow escape to Shell Cottage. He shook his head of the memories, desperate to just get on with finding Hermione.

Katherine nodded sympathetically. "What else do you know about him?" she asked.

Ron shrugged. "He was at the Battle of Hogwarts, but we never found him, and we assumed he was dead. But a lot of Death Eaters who escaped went underground afterwards, so I suppose he must have survived that way." He stopped at gave her a pointed look. "Why are you watching him?'

"He not only escaped, but recovered from some fairly serious injuries, and continued his particular line of work down here," she replied.

"Snatching?" asked Ron, frowning.

"No, basic criminal for hire," she said. "Only it appears he might be falling back on bad habits. Look." She pointed at the screen, where Hermione had turned toward the gruff man behind her, an angry look on her face. It turned to surprise when she realized who was following her. Ron saw the former Snatcher put his hand to her back and knew there was a wand on her from the way Hermione stiffened.

And then they seemed to simply disappear.

Ron just stared at the screen: they had both melted into the background. Whether it was a Disillusionment Charm or something else, he couldn't tell exactly by watching the tape. But now he knew for sure now that Hermione had been kidnapped—and that she was in danger from a known war criminal.

He glanced around the room at the oblivious security guards. Thomas did not seem to have even noticed that the person he had been following on camera had simply vanished without a trace. It was if he had been magicked to ignore it. Ron realized it was probably a Muggle-Repelling Charm, and feared even more for Hermione's life if no one around her could see or hear her.

"You can end your spell now," said Katherine softly, giving him a sympathetic look. "We've got our lead."

He released the spell, and Katherine gave Thomas a winning smile. "Thank you," she said. "We've seen what we needed to see. We'll take it from here."

Thomas gave her a confused smile. "If you say so, ma'am. Good luck with it!" He didn't seem at all bothered by the fact that two people on the screen in front of him had simply disappeared; apparently the Muggle-Repelling Charm worked even on camera. Ron followed Katherine out of the security area and back through the airport.

"So what's our lead?" he finally asked, his voice bitter. "Considering they disappeared from sight?"

"Not here," she murmured. "Let's go back to OMI."

Ron stopped and waved his arms. "I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what you think's going on!" He knew he sounded like an over-reactive boyfriend, but he was tired and hungry and worried; he couldn't help it.

"I have something to show you, but I can't do it here," she replied calmly. She took his arm and guided him out. He gathered she was used to dealing with emotional people since she did not seem at all upset by his temper. "And I need to check in with OMI. We'll head back there, and I'll tell you everything I know, I promise."

Nodding reluctantly, Ron followed her out of the airport. When they were far enough away, he took her arm again and let her take him to the Australian Ministry through a Side-Along Apparation. They appeared directly in her office, yet another perk he'd never seen in London; even Aurors had always had to go through the Atrium, no matter how important the case they were working on.

Ron sat down and ran a hand through his hair. He was growing more impatient by the moment, desperate for news of Hermione now that he knew who was involved. What worried him even more was knowing that someone must have hired the former Snatcher, who was simply not clever enough to lure Hermione to Australia and kidnap her on his own. But who was behind it, and why?

Katherine stepped into the hall and spoke with a passing wizard. Stepping back into her office, she took a small compact from her desk, pulled out her wand, and tapped it. Instead of her own image appearing in the mirror, a dirty wizard with grey eyes appeared, leering cruelly. Ron couldn't help but grimace as he remembered the horrible night they had spent in Malfoy Manor, in part because of the man in front of him.

"Saxton Scabior," Katherine said. "Currently under OMI surveillance for international smuggling."

"Smuggling?" Ron exclaimed in surprise. "In Australia? What's he smuggling?"

"Rare magical creatures," she replied. "Including house-elves."

Ron grimaced again, finding the very thought of house elves being treated in such a way despicable after having been with Hermione for so long. "Why are you involved?" Ron asked. "Smuggling doesn't sound like something for your department."

She shrugged. "It usually isn't, only we suspect there's more to it." She tapped the compact and another image appeared: a short-haired man with bushy eyebrows, grisly scars crisscrossing a dull face set with small black eyes. Ron groaned.

"Don’t tell me you're watching him too," he said, recognizing the former Slytherin immediately.

Katherin nodded. "Gregory Goyle. What do you know?"

"I went to school with the bloody prat," Ron grumbled. "He's an idiot ten times over. Are you telling me he's involved too? I thought he was in St. Mungo's—completely insane after what happened at the Battle of Hogwarts."

She shook his head. "You're out of touch, then. He was released about six weeks ago and has been here ever since. We've been watching him because he showed up with Scabior. They've been spending a lot of time coming and going from here." She showed him a picture of a large stone mansion, set high on a rocky cliff overlooking the ocean. It was old and beautiful, and yet for some reason Ron was reminded of Malfoy Manor once again.

"What's that then?" he asked, starting to grow annoyed with the slow pace of enigmatic information Katherine was sharing.

"Cliffhaven Estate. One of Australia's most prominent wizarding families lives there." She tapped the compact and a third man appeared, a large, stocky wizard with wavy grey hair and a salt-and-pepper goatee. He had shrewd blue eyes that Ron was sure he recognized, only he couldn't place them.

"Is that where you think they've taken her?" asked Ron.

"That depends," said Katherine. "Was she working on something to do with smuggling?"

Ron shook his head as he thought back over everything that Hermione had told him about her new job. "No, I don't think so. She used to work on house-elf rights, but that was over six months ago. She's with the Wizengamot now. She was working on getting old pure-blood laws struck from the books, like the requirement for membership in the Wizengamot and becoming Chief Warlock."

"Pure-blood laws?" Katherine frowned. "But we dropped those ages ago. Loads of half-bloods sit on our council, the Minister for Magic himself is a Muggle-born. Surely the British Ministry doesn't follow those policies anymore?"

"Of course not," said Ron, feeling defensive. "Voldemort reinstated and enforced it when he took over five years ago, but everyone who was sacked got their job back after the war." Ron paused, trying to puzzle it out. "It wasn't until after the last election when Hermione began working to eliminate the pure-blood laws completely that people started complaining."

"Like who?" she asked, leaning forward.

"The Malfoys, for one," Ron said. "And a few other old, rich pure-blood families – the Parkinsons, the Notts, the Flints."

Katherine showed him the compact again. "And the Greengrasses?" she asked.

"Yes!" Ron exclaimed, suddenly recognizing the man in the mirror: Charleston Greengrass had been appointed to the position of Chief Warlock after the last general election. It was no secret he wanted to be Minister for Magic following his tenure on the Wizengamot, but it was also no secret that the Greengrass family was having financial problems that would probably hold him back from advancing much further. Given his family's blood status and tacit support of pure-blood policies during the war, it made sense that Charleston would object to banning the old pure-blood laws--especially when money was running low, and prestige and honor were all the proud family had left. "How do you know him?"

"I told you, the Greengrasses are one of our most famous wizarding families. They live at Cliffhaven Estate. Charleston Greengrass eventually moved to England with his wife, Aurelia, who was from Cornwall, but his father and brother remain active in Australian society." She paused. "And probably our smuggling ring."

Ron stared at her as several pieces of the puzzle began to slowly fall into place. "So there is a connection."

"There might be," Katherine said, looking puzzled. "It's vague, though, especially since Hermione wasn't working on smuggling. I think we're missing something."

Ron shook his head. "No, it makes sense. Come on, I'll fill you in on the way."

"And where are we going?" she asked as Ron took her arm.

"Cliffhaven, of course," he replied, determined to find Hermione before politics and personal vengeance ruined more than her career.

* * *
Chapter Endnotes: Thank you Julia/theopaleye for looking this over! I apologize for the long update but I'm going a bit gangbusters on another chaptered fic at the moment. Only a few chapters left here, though, unless the story takes a sudden detour. Hopefully things will start to clear up soon. ;) Thank you for reading and reviewing, I really appreciate it!