Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Sorting Snafu by rjc917

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
As Albus glumly walked to Transfiguration class the next morning, Scorpius tried to cheer him up. “Being in Slytherin isn’t that bad, Al. At least we’re in the same House together. If you were in Gryffindor, you wouldn’t know anyone; you don’t have any friends there.”

“Thanks. Telling me I don’t have any friends is a great way to raise my spirits,” Albus moped.

“You know I didn’t mean it that way.”

The two boys reached the classroom and went inside. The Slytherins had Transfiguration with the Hufflepuffs. Albus saw Patrick Finnigan sitting by himself and took a seat next to him.

“Hi Patrick.”

“Oh, hey Albus,” said Patrick, turning around to greet the voice. “Hey, you didn’t tell me you were Albus Potter.”

“Sorry,” Albus apologized. He thought for a second and then asked, “Wait, why does that matter?”

“Your dad is Harry Potter, right?”

“Yeah, he is,” Albus answered. “So what?”

“You mean you don’t know?” said Patrick, amazed.

Albus was getting frustrated. “Know what?”

“The professor is about to start. I’ll tell you after class. You’re going to flip.”

What could Patrick possibly know about Albus’ father that he himself didn’t? Could this have anything to do with why all those people had been staring on the platform? Before Albus’ thoughts could continue, the professor started talking.

“Good morning, everyone. I am Professor Hemming Walden and I will be teaching you the art of transfiguration. After the lecture, you will all attempt to turn a match into a needle. I don’t expect you to get it on your first try, but give it your best shot.”

Professor Walden’s lecture was long, but interesting. When Albus attempted to transfigure his match, nothing happened, but Professor Walden still praised him, saying the end looked a little sharper. Scorpius managed to turn his match silver, but it was still clearly a match and not a needle. Patrick wasn’t able to make his match take on any needle-like qualities, but he did cause it to burst into flames.

After class, Scorpius left to go study in the common room, but Albus caught Patrick in the hallway to resume their conversation. “What were you going to tell me about my dad?”

“Oh, right. I still can’t believe you don’t know. Your dad was the greatest wizard of the twentieth century!”

“He always told me Dumbledore was the greatest wizard of the twentieth century.”

“Well Dumbledore didn’t defeat You-Know-Who.”

“Who?”

“You mean you don’t know You-Know-Who?”

“No!” yelled Albus in exasperation.

“We need to get you to a History of Magic class,” Patrick laughed. “You-Know-Who was a really powerful Dark Wizard who killed a lot of people. Your dad stopped him as a mere baby to end the First Wizarding War and then finished him for good after he returned. Your dad’s a hero! My dad told me once that Harry Potter even broke out of Gringotts on a dragon, but I’m not sure I believe that one.”

Albus was dumbfounded. Was Patrick pulling his leg? How could he have never known about all this, if it was true? If anyone else knew about this, it would be James or Rose. He needed to talk to them.

Albus found Rose first. “You won’t believe what I found out in Transfiguration today!”

“I know, I know, you learned how to turn a match into a needle. They’ve been teaching that on the first day of class since our parents were here. They really do need to update the curriculum.”

“No, no, I don’t mean what I learned in class. Patrick Finnigan told me something about my dad. He said he was a really powerful wizard and a hero!”

“Are you sure?” asked Rose, getting out a book. “There’s nothing about him in my copy of A History of Magic, though this is an old edition; it was my mum’s.”

“Maybe James will know something,” mused Albus.

“Alright, you ask your brother and I’ll ask Professor Binns,” Rose delegated.

“Unless my dad was a fourteenth-century warlock, I don’t think Binns would know about him,” joked Albus, “but I guess it’s worth a shot.”

Albus found James down by the lake having a laugh with Fred and Louis.

“What’s up, Parselmouth?” James quipped to the amusement of Louis and Fred.

“You know I can’t talk to snakes, James,” Albus frowned. “I need to talk to you though.”

Fred and Louis noticed a pretty fourth-year walking by and left to go talk to her.

“Is there something I should know about Dad?” Albus questioned.

“He wears dorky glasses…what are you getting at?” James responded.

“Did he ever defeat a Dark Wizard?”

“Well he is an Auror, so probably.”

“I’m serious, James! Somebody told me Dad saved the whole wizarding world!”

James suddenly looked serious. “I guess it’s safe to tell you now. It’s all true. I found out last year, just like you, but Dad made me promise not to tell you. He almost made me make an Unbreakable Vow, but Mum wouldn’t let him. He probably won’t want you to tell Lil.”

“This better not be a prank,” said Albus cautiously.

“It’s not. I’m serious,” James assured him.

Albus stood staring into the lake. “I…I need some time to let this sink in.”

“Don’t worry about it,” James smiled. “It’s really not that big a deal once you get used to it.”

Maybe for you Albus thought, but simply said, “Yeah.”

There was clearly nothing left to say, so Albus began a slow walk back up to the castle. He was planning on going to his dormitory to take a nap when he remembered he had Potions class. Sprinting to the dungeons and nearly toppling a suit of armor on the way, he made it with less than a minute to spare.

The downside of getting to class late was that there were few seats left. Albus spotted Scorpius sitting next to Patrick in the front of the room. Scorpius indicated the occupied seat, looked to Albus and shrugged resignedly. Albus surveyed the classroom and found just two empty seats. One was next to a small, black-haired girl. The other was next to Olga Grubus.

“Mind if I sit here?” Albus asked. The small girl turned and shook her head.

“What’s your name?” Albus politely inquired, taking a seat next to the girl.

“Sarah,” she answered quietly.

Before the conversation could go any further, the teacher entered the classroom. Albus now noticed how surprisingly well-lit and colorful the room was, especially considering it was a dungeon.

“Good morning, class!” the teacher said, wearing a big smile. “My name is Miss Allegro, and I think we’re going to become great friends this year!”

Albus and Scorpius exchanged a sarcastic glance across the room.

“Today we will be brewing a Giggling Potion, which ought to put everyone in a good mood”not that you aren’t already of course. The first day of school is such an exciting time of the year, don’t you think?” Miss Allegro chirped. The class nodded apathetically.

“Since everyone here is new at making potions, you will be working with a partner so you can help each other out.” Students immediately began looking around the room for their friends, communicating their intent to be partners through all sorts of nonverbal methods.

“I think it will be best if everyone partners up with the person sitting next to them. After all, making new friends is such an important part of your first day,” Miss Allegro smiled. Albus and Sarah looked at each other, smiled awkwardly, and began gathering ingredients for the potion.

Suddenly a loud crash shook the room and Albus looked over to see Kevin Brock sprawled on the floor next to the scales he had dropped. Instead of helping him up, Kevin’s partner berated him for being careless.

“Poor Kevin,” remarked Albus to Sarah. “His partner seems like a real jerk.”

Sarah’s cheeks reddened and she turned away for a moment. When she turned back, she whispered, “That’s my twin brother, Steven.” Then even more quietly she added, “And you’re right… he is a jerk.”

Albus looked at Steven and then back at Sarah. “How are you two twins?” he exclaimed.

Sarah shrugged.

“You’re nothing alike. Come to think of it, how did you end up in Slytherin?”

“Well,” Sarah sighed, “I’m a Selwyn. My family has a long pureblood tradition, and even though most folks don’t care about blood status these days, my parents still do. I knew they would want Steven and me to be in Slytherin, or else we would dishonor the family. The Sorting Hat was going to put me in Hufflepuff, but I asked to be in Slytherin so my parents wouldn’t be mad. I really don’t like it though. You’re the first nice Slytherin I’ve met.”

Albus smiled. “Thanks. Scorpius over there is pretty nice too.” With all the ingredients in the cauldron, Albus began to stir the potion, watching it swirl around and thinking about something Sarah had said.

“So the Sorting Hat let you choose which House to be in?” Albus voiced.

Sarah nodded.

“That’s funny. I tried to do that too, but it insisted on putting me in Slytherin. I really didn’t want to be here,” confessed Albus.

“That’s strange that the Hat forced you into Slytherin,” Sarah remarked. “You don’t particularly seem like the Slytherin type. I thought maybe you asked to be put there like I did.”

“Oh, no, I would never choose to be in Slytherin,” said Albus, hastily adding, “No offense.”

“None taken,” Sarah grinned.

When their potion was finished, Albus and Sarah showed it to Miss Allegro, who told them they did a wonderful job and to have a splendid day. Outside in the corridor, Albus and Sarah were talking and laughing when Sarah’s brother confronted them.

“Hey Sis, did I say you could talk to this twerp?”

“She can talk to me if she wants to,” said Albus as bravely as he could. “And I’m not a twerp.”

“Oh really?” said Steven, who was much larger than Albus. “You look like one to me.” Steven then shoved Albus backwards and pulled out his wand. “Locomotor Mortis!

Fortunately, growing up with James (as well as countless older cousins) meant Albus was quite good at defending himself. Withdrawing his own wand, he blocked the Leg-Locker Curse with a quick “Protego!

However, this only served to aggravate Steven even more and he began to fire another spell. “Petrificus To-

Expelliarmus!” yelled Albus, using the spell his father had taught him and watching Steven’s wand soar through the air into his hand.

“What’s going on here?”

Albus looked up the corridor to see Professor Walden coming toward them.

“Potter took my wand!” cried Steven. “I was just trying to get it back.”

“If you’re going to lie, Selwyn, at least do it well,” frowned Walden. “The two of you come to my office. Miss Selwyn, as you were not involved, you may leave.”

Oh, no, thought Albus on his way to Professor Walden’s office. It’s my first day and I’ve gotten in trouble already. Maybe I do deserve to be in Slytherin.

When they arrived at Walden’s office, he asked the two boys to sit down in two large, uncomfortable wooden chairs. “As your Head of House, I am very disappointed in the two of you. It is bad enough to get in a fight, but it is even worse to quarrel amongst your own House. I am afraid I will have to take twenty points from Slytherin.”

Steven groaned. Albus stared into his lap.

“I am also giving Mr. Selwyn a month’s detention. I expect to see you here tomorrow at seven.”

“What about Potter?” griped Steven.

“I am about to deal with him,” Walden scowled. “Now leave my office. I’m done with you.”

Steven stood up and sulked out of the room, glaring at Albus on the way out.

“So how much detention do I get?” gulped Albus.

“None,” answered Walden.

“Huh?” said Albus, confused.

“That was some impressive dueling back there.”

“Well I learned some stuff from my dad,” replied Albus sheepishly. “He’s Head Auror.”

“Oh, I know all about your father.”

Of course he does thought Albus. Everybody knows about my dad except for me.

“You’re going to be a powerful wizard some day, Albus. You’ve got potential.”

“Umm, thanks sir. Am I free to go now?” Albus asked hesitantly.

“Of course,” Walden answered.

Albus rose from the uncomfortable chair and sped off to the Great Hall to find Scorpius, hoping there would be some treacle tart left. It had indeed been a long first day.