Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Man in the Mask by MJ_Padfoot

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Just a fair warning, I'd grab tissues if I were you.
Man in the Mask

Chapter Two: Phoenix Tears



–Harry!” said a voice, –Harry! Harry! Wake up!”

Harry woke with a start. He could feel the sweat dripping down his neck as he reached for his glasses. After putting them on, he realized that Ginny was hovering over him. He smiled weakly at her. She looked frightened.

–Are you all right?” she asked.

–Yeah, I’m fine. Bad dream.” Harry replied. He had just experienced another nightmare of running through a blinding white and hearing a woman scream for the third time in a row that week.

As he slowly sat up, every inch of him ached. Even though it had been a week since the final battle had ended, he found himself still feeling exhausted from everything. Harry looked at Ginny. She was standing next to him, looking concerned.

–Are you sure you’re all right, Harry? You were murmuring something.”

–I’m fine.” But deep down, Harry new that he wasn’t fine. He had been scared while he was running. Besides remembering running, all Harry could remember was shouting something about leaving Godric’s Hollow. But why?

Harry didn’t know. He shrugged it off and realized that Ginny still wasn’t convinced. –Really, Ginny, I’m fine. It was just a bad dream. No big deal.”

Looking satisfied, Ginny sat on the end of the bed next to Harry. –Breakfast is ready. Ron and Hermione made waffles.”

–Sounds great.” said Harry, –I’ll get dressed and meet you downstairs.”

Five minutes later, Harry and Ginny were sitting at the breakfast table. Everyone was dressed in their dress robes. Today was the funeral for Fred, Tonks, and Lupin. Harry noticed that everyone except George was talking. Mrs. Weasley was going through the schedule of the day; trying to keep composure in front of everyone.

–And after we leave Tonks and Lupin’s services,” Mrs. Weasley said in a rather high-pitched voice, –we’ll go to Godric’s Hollow and have Fred’s.”

With the mention of Fred, everyone fell silent. George put his fork down and starred at his waffle. The bright cheerful smile usually splashed across his face was replaced with a depressed look. –Mum,” George said. His family, Harry, and Hermione all stared at him in disbelief. It was the first time that George had said anything at the dinner table since Fred’s death. Molly was the only one who smiled. George continued, –I’ve been thinking,” he slowly said, –I want to do something special at the service for Fred.”

Molly nodded. Her face showed the pain that she and the rest of the Weasley family felt. –Yes, of course dear. What did you have in mind?”

–Well, after we bring Fr--Fred,” George paused and pulled himself together, –after we bring him in, I want to do something during my speech. But I don’t want to say what it is.” George studied his mother’s face. Molly looked confused. He continued by saying, –I want to make it a surprise for everyone.”

Everyone nodded; including Mrs. Weasley. –Of course, you can, George.”

~*~


A half an hour later, Harry and the others found themselves counting down the minutes until the first funeral of the day. The services for Tonks and Remus were going to be held in the backyard of Andromeda Tonks. After everyone was helping Molly clean up breakfast, Harry pulled Ron and Hermione aside and explained to them that he had promised Andromeda to take Teddy during the funeral. He wanted to make sure that he had some time to spend with Teddy before the services began. When Harry asked if they minded if he went alone, Hermione said, –It’s perfectly fine, Harry. I’d want to spend some time alone with Teddy before the funeral too.”

After saying goodbye to Ron and Hermione, Harry, out of habit, went to go get his Invisibility cloak. As he was going upstairs, he heard quiet sobs coming from Fred and George’s room.

–I miss him too, George.” said Ginny in a hushed voice.

Through the crack of the door, Harry could see George sitting next to Ginny on his bed. Ginny had her comforting arm around him. They both were crying. Not wanting to interrupt, Harry continued walking upstairs when a loud CREEK came from the step he had just shifted his weight on.

–Harry?”

It was Ginny. Harry turned around and quickly said, –I’m sorry. I wasn’t trying to interrupt. I’m going to go see Teddy.”

Ginny, who still had tears running down her face, looked confused after Harry spoke. She was about to ask him something, but before she was able to say anything, Harry took his foot off of the next step and pulled Ginny close to him. Gently, Harry ran his fingers through her hair as she started to cry.

–Shhhh . . .” Harry said quietly, –It’s going to be okay. You’ll see him again.”

–I hope so.” Ginny said in a whisper.

He held her for a moment longer before she pulled away. After wiping away her tears, Ginny asked, –You won’t leave me, will you?”

Harry ran his fingers through her hair and lightly touched her face. –No.”

Smiling weakly, Ginny leaned in and they kissed.

It would’ve lasted a bit longer until they heard George laugh. –Ooohh . . .” he started, his eyes blotchy from crying, –You better go find a broomstick cupboard if you don’t want to be interrupted again.”

The three of them laughed. Harry, looking George squarely in the eye, said, –You know, George, I haven’t told anyone this but the night of the battle,” George looked down, –I saw my parents, Sirius and Remus.”

Ginny and George looked shocked.

–What do you mean?” asked Ginny.

–Right before I went into the forest to meet Tom, they all appeared.” Pausing, Harry continued, –Someone once told me that the dead never have truly left us until we leave them. Fred will always be with us. We just have to keep his memory alive.”

By now, Harry could feel the tears start to stream down his face. He, Ginny and George all wiped away their tears as George said, –Thank you, Harry. It means a lot.”

Harry smiled.

–George! Ginny! It’s time to go!” called Mr. Weasley up the staircase.

Harry cursed under his breath and said to Ginny, –I was supposed to go early to see Teddy.”

She nodded understandingly and said, –We’ll tell the others if they ask where you went.”

~*~


–Harry,” Andromeda said as she let him into the living room, –I was beginning to worry. I thought that you had forgotten to come early.”

–I’m sorry I’m late, Andromeda. I lost track of the time.” Harry had only arrived after he grabbed his Invisibility cloak and said goodbye to Ginny and George.

–Never you mind, Harry dear,” she said, –I’m just glad that you came early.” Andromeda looked tired as though she had missed several nights of sleep. There were dark circles under her eyes but still, she managed her warm smile. As Teddy began to fuss, Andromeda said, –Harry, why don’t you take Teddy and go find him his bottle. He’s about due for one.” she said.


Once Harry and Teddy were in the kitchen (Harry had somehow managed to hold his godson in one arm while looking for the bottle with the other), he heard voices outside the house. Andromeda answered the door and welcomed members of the Order.

As the minutes ticked by, Harry had finally found the bottle and started to feed Teddy. He did this, he watched the Order, the Weasley family, and a few unfamiliar faces talk softly amongst themselves. They were all outside, waiting for the funeral to begin. Ginny, Ron, and Hermione had all saved Harry a seat so he could take on the challenge of changing Teddy’s diaper.

Once he had returned, Ron teased Harry about having to do the dirty work. It was only then when Hermione pointed out to him that one day when he had children that his wife would probably force him to do diaper duty for punishment of making fun of Harry. They all laughed at this and once they had gained control of themselves, Harry handed Teddy to Ginny and whispered, –I’m helping bring the caskets in. I’ll be back.” As soon as Harry got up and left, a small wizard who closely resembled Professor Flitwick, stood at a very large pulpit and began to talk.

–Ladies and gentlemen,” he said in a very squeaky voice, –we gather today in honor of our friends Tonks and Remus Lupin.”

Harry watched Ginny and Teddy from a distance. He was sleeping as she held him close. Ginny glanced back at Harry and smiled. There was a long pause before he continued, –As we all know, they both died honorably in the battle of defeating He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Today, on behalf of the Ministry of Magic, we salute them for dying for the greater good.”

–Today, we honor these loyal members of the Order of the Pheniox for who they stand for and for the cause which they gave their lives for. With all of our deepest respect, the Ministry of Magic would like to present their family with a medal of gratitude.”

The wizard pulled out two medals out of his dark purple robes and continued, –Andromeda, with your permission, we would like to place these medals on a memorial in the Ministry of Magic to honor all of those who gave their lives to stop He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.”

Andromeda nodded as the tears streamed down her face.

The wizard smiled and thanked her. –Now, if you all would be so kind to stand, we shall begin the services for Tonks and Remus Lupin.”

The caskets were brought in by five people. Kingsley Shacklebolt, Arthur Weasley, Alberforth Dumbledore, and Harry brought in Tonks while Hagrid carried Remus’ coffin in. Everyone was silent as they walked in. Harry could feel the tears start to stream down as they put the caskets down.

Sitting down, Harry took Teddy back from Ginny and the listened to the services. There were two speakers. Andromeda spoke of the life of Tonks and what a joy she had brought her and her husband when she was alive. She also spoke of the gentle nature that Remus gave to everyone and how honored she was to have him in her family for a short time.

Harry was surprised at the next person to get up. Hagrid, who had tears running down his face, got up and spoke of how wonderful both Tonks and Remus were. He told a story of how they had always treated him well; even though he is half-giant. He went on to say, –They knew what it was like to be treated different,but that never stopped them from treating everyone like equals; that’s not common for most folks.”

After both speakers finished, the small crowd stood up again as Kingsley and Arthur lowered the caskets into the ground next to Ted Tonks. The dirt was gently placed upon the caskets and then a large headstone appeared. It read:

Remus John Lupin

Husband, father, son, and friend

March 10, 1960--May 2, 1998


Nymphadora Tonks Lupin

Wife, mother, daughter, and friend

November 5, 1973--May 2, 1998


Greater love than this no one has, than the one who laid down his life for his friends.


Everyone gathered around the graves and gave their last farewell. As Harry looked at the headstone for one last time, he looked at Teddy, fully understanding what his godson was about to go through. Taking him from Ginny, he whispered, –Don’t be afraid, Teddy. They’ll come back in ways that you never expected.”

~*~


After the funeral for Tonks and Remus, Harry had gone back to the Weasley home to eat lunch. They all at in sullen silence and when the time came, Arthur glanced at his watch and said, –It’s time.”

One by one, the Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione traveled to the backyard. The backyard was decorated in a simple black color with white lilies at each ends of the pulpit that stood in the middle of the ceremony. Unlike Tonks and Remus’ services, there were several sections of black seats. As Harry walked to the backyard, he reached for Ginny’s hand. Although they hadn’t talked seriously about their relationship and the fact that they had kissed earlier that day, Harry felt that it was appropriate to hold her hand.

Ginny looked down, smiled and squeezed his hand.

Members of the Order and familiar faces from Hogwarts were already sitting down. The crowd was bigger than the previous funeral that they had just attended but nevertheless, the faces all held the same grief-stricken face as the Weasleys. As the Weasley family sat down, Harry and Hermione glanced at each other, both wondering if they should take a seat too.

Ginny, noticing their silent communication, said, –Don’t be stupid; both of you are sitting by us. You’re family too.”

George, Ron, Bill and Arthur didn’t join the rest of their family when they sat down. They had gone to get the casket. When they arrived, the crowd stood up and watched them walk the casket down the aisle. Each Weasley brother had tears streaming down their face. Arthur, who looked like he was doing his best to not breakdown, had his lips pursed tightly together. Everyone sat the casket down and returned to the rest of their family.

Arthur, who had remained standing, walked up to the pulpit. His ears were bright red and his hands were shaking. But he was able to keep his voice calm. –Friends, family,” he began, –we all gather today to honor my son, Fred.”

For the next several minutes, Arthur spoke of Fred’s life and his character. –I think,” he said in conclusion, –that we all can say that Fred brought each of us something that we all needed. He understood how to be serious when it was needed. He understood how to help cheer someone’s day when they needed it. But most of all, if there is anything that Fred can teach each of us, it is how to smile in the worst situations. Let us all remember Fred for the man that he stood for.”

Arthur nodded his head and sat back down next to Molly, who was crying. No one spoke for what seemed like an eternity to Harry. Ginny was silently crying, her head on Harry’s shoulder. With his arm around Ginny, Harry gave her a tight squeeze.

Finally, George got up.

–I had planned on starting out with a joke,” George began, –but, as seeing that this is a funeral, I thought that it wouldn’t be appropriate.”

He paused and continued, –But as seeing that this is Fred’s funeral, I think that would be a dishonor to not begin with a joke.”

A sheepish grin spread across his face. –Percy, if you will . . .”

Percy stood up and signaled for a few others to stand up as well. Ginny leaned over to Harry and whispered, –They’re some of the employees at the joke shop.”

–One . . . two . . . three!” said Percy.

An explosion of color was everywhere. A large dragon suddenly appeared from the color. It flew high up into the clouds and then it came drastically down, swooping close the crowd. Many shrieks came but as it got closer, another explosion took place and the dragon turned into large what appeared to be taffy.

Harry recognized the taffy at once. It was the same taffy that had made Dudley’s tongue expand to a great length.

Laughing, Harry said to Ginny, –I hope someone eats one of those.”

Within seconds, people were unwrapping the Ton-Tongue Toffees and popping them into their mouths. The immediate Weasley family, Harry, and Hermione all knew not to eat the taffy. Unfortunately, others weren’t as lucky. At least a dozen people in the crowd were suddenly screaming about their tongues that were growing faster by the second.

Mrs. Weasley gave George a look that Harry knew all too well. –GEORGE,” she screamed, –FIX IT NOW!”

George, who didn’t need telling twice, gave another signal (by now, people were laughing hysterically) to free the unfortunate victims of this prank.

After several minutes of trying to get the crowd back into control, everyone was watching George. He smiled and said, –Well, if that wasn’t good, I don’t know what is.” He winked at his Mum and then paused for a long time.

The heavy weight of the funeral was upon everyone once again. George placed both hands on top the pulpit and sighed. –I can honestly say that I would not be the man I am today without my brother Fred. For as long as I can remember, we were always the ones who pulled the trouble in the family. We caused teachers, our parents, friends and anyone else acquainted with us endless trouble and rule-breaking to bring smiles and laughter to everyone. We enjoyed running our joke shop together. We enjoyed so much together. But now that has changed.”

George paused and then took a deep breath in, –For the past week, I’ve moped around in my room. My family can tell you all about that. I haven’t cracked a single joke or made any obnoxious sound. I have only thought about what life is going to be like without my brother Fred.”

Tears were filling George’s eyes as he spoke.

–But as I have wondered and cursed the future that is to come, I’ve realized one thing: Fred wouldn’t want any of us, including myself, to live life without any laughter. He would want us to keep his memory alive in finding something to laugh about; finding someone to pull a prank on and doing something that bends the rules. So let us all, honor him on this day by remembering to always find a reason to laugh.”

George smiled weakly and then said, –So, Fred, here’s to your memory. Thank you for always knowing how to make me smile.” After the conclusion of George’s speech, everyone Apparated to Godric’s Hollow.

Once everyone arrived at Godric’s Hollow, they all stood around by the Prewett and Weasley graves. There was a freshly dug grave where Fred would be laid to rest. Ministry of Magic cars arrived with the casket. Arthur, Ron, George and Bill all filled out of the car and slowly, with the casket resting on their shoulders, brought it to the grave sight. Arthur, like the previous funeral, waved his wand and slowly lowered it into the ground as tears ran down his face.

The Weasley family all stood around the open grave and finally, Molly bent over, picked up a handful of dirt, and gently threw it into the grave. The rest of their family followed. Once everyone had their turn, the rest of the dirt was placed upon the casket and like the Lupin’s funeral, a gravestone appeared. Slowly, words appeared on it. It read:

Fred Weasley

Son, twin, brother, and friend

April 1, 1978--May 2, 1998

Laughter can cure it all; even death.


Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione all stood in a huddle as they each silently read the words on the gravestone. Ginny turned into Harry as she cried. Holding her, Harry wished more than anything in the world that Tom Riddle had never been introduced to magic.
Chapter Endnotes: Just to clear something up: You may be wondering I titled this chapter "Phoenix Tears." I chose this title because, if you recall, the Phoenix has the power to heal with their tears. I felt that it was appropriate because tears heal wounds; especially when it comes to death.

One more thing. Tonks' birth date on the headstone. I made it up because J.K. Rowling (as far as I know) hasn't given an offical date.

Thanks for reading!
~MJ