Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

From the Inside by bellatrix-black-lestrange

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

I want to thank Alice (theblacksister) for being an amazing beta.
Chapter Notes: I want to thank Alice (theblacksister) for her amazing beta work, couldn't have done it without her help :)
Chapter One – Meet Cassiopeia Lestrange.

“Lestrange, Cassiopeia.”

Merlin, I hate my name, what would possess my mother to call me that? Well, I know really, I am the youngest daughter of Bellatrix and Roldolphus Lestrange. My mother, or ‘Bella,’ as Aunt Cissy continuously refers to her as is from the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black. Therefore, the tradition is to name your children after a star or constellation. Tradition, not law, which is why I can’t figure why my parents would give me this horrendous name!

“Lestrange, Cassiopeia,” The stern voice called again, snapping me out of my thoughts and into the face of an impatient professor. She looked unimpressed by my sluggishness or just me in general. Her hair was pulled tightly back into a bun and hidden by her hat; the brown hair showing was greying with age and the hat she wore was emerald green to match her robes. She had a crease in between her eyebrows due to her frown, and lips that were deadly thin.

Considering the fact that I had seven years to annoy her and it wouldn’t do to start on my first day- yes, I am starting at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry today- I walked up to the stool without hesitation. I did it despite the fact that I could feel the whole school’s eyes on me; after all, Lestrange was not exactly a popular name to these sorts of people, nor were my parents. When I placed the Hat on my head, I wasn’t surprised to hear it talk, unlike some of the other first years who had jumped with fright.

“The last Lestrange, I see... right then, okay.” The hat talked to itself more than me. “You are not much like your sister- though you are both smart.” The hat mused.

I have no sister! I thought hotly- how dare it imply that...that thing was a relative of mine!

“Ahh... the Hat never lies. Your sister was confused, she belonged nowhere but she had a great mind and therefore a Ravenclaw. But you, well you know exactly where you belong. You possess many Black traits and so...SLYTHERIN” The Hat shouted out for the rest of the school to hear. I sensed I had taken quite a long time, as the school momentarily paused before they realised what the Hat had said.

I was welcomed over to the Slytherin table; some of the other tables clapped too but I was sure that they were clapping because I had not been placed in their houses. Draco caught my eye as I sat down and nodded his congratulations; Draco was my cousin and in his third year.

Beside me sat a girl with raven hair and mint green eyes, who I later learned, during the feast, to be Callidora Rosier. On my other side was Astoria, as in Astoria Greengrass; we were already friends. And then there was Elladora Burke; she was slight and blonde with chocolate-y brown eyes.

When the feast ended, Dumbledore stood up to give a speech to the students- at this point I noticed many Slytherins switch off and gaze in numerous directions. I listened long enough for him to introduce a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Lupin. By the looks of it, he had been in Azkaban for the last ten years; pale, ragged, with old and patched clothes. This was certainly not a person I would hire for a teacher; he looked like a poor Mudblood- I already knew that we would not get along. Firstly, I could swear to Merlin that he was not a pureblood, and secondly, I hated Defence Against the Dark Arts. I saw it a waste of time: I embraced the Dark Arts willingly.
My thoughts strayed back to what the Hat had said; I was still partly annoyed that it had referred to her as my sister. Alya my ‘sister’ made my life complicated in that way; she was two years older than me, in the same year as Draco, and we had been separated our whole lives. She was a year old when my parents were sent to Azkaban; my mother wanted Aunt Cissy to have Alya but... the Wizengamot decided it would be better if Andromeda, my mother’s disowned sister, had her and so off she went to live with a blood traitor and a Mudblood. What my mother didn’t know was that she was pregnant with me: when Alya was just two I was born, in Azkaban. This time, my Aunt Cissy managed to keep a hold of me. She even contacted Andromeda to ask for Alya but Andromeda refused- and so, I have never seen my ‘sister.’

At first, I wanted to know her, but when Draco came to Hogwarts and assured us all that she had become a Muggle-loving blood traitor, I disowned her. Now, I wished more than ever that she would take Andromeda’s name and stop disgracing mine.

“And on that note, I will let you retire to your beds.” Professor Dumbledore’s voice rang out, dragging me from my thoughts.

We were told to follow Slytherin prefects and were lead out of the Great Hall, down to what I assumed must be the dungeons. The girl prefect- who was short and plump with dirty blonde hair and beady eyes that were almost black- stopped at a bare stone wall and turned to us. “This is the entrance to the Slytherin common room, do well to remember. If the password is changed, you will be notified in the common room. For now it is ‘purity,’” her shrill voice told us. At her words, the wall moved to reveal an entrance.

As we moved in, I marvelled at the beauty of the common room; like the uniform, everything was green, silver and black. The ceilings were low and the whole room gave off a greenish tinge- Draco had told me this was because it was below the great lake- it was completed with green and black satin sofas, black furniture, and a large fireplace in the middle of the back wall.
“Girls’ dorms to the right and boys’ to the left,” the girl prefect told us before walking off to join her friends.

I didn’t doodle like most; instead, I headed straight up to the dorms, eager to see if they were as wonderful as the common room. I was closely followed by Astoria, Elladora, and Callidora. The dorms didn’t disappoint; they too were furnished with black furniture and green decoration. I took the first four poster bed; complete with deep green satin covers and curtains.

“Did you see the state of the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher?” I asked Astoria; however, it was Ella who sat at the dressing table brushing her long golden locks who answered me.

“Hmm...” she murmured her tone ranging in disapproval. “Don’t you think it’s bad that they allow people like that to teach here?” she asked, looking at me from the reflection in the mirror.

“Yes, there has been rumour that it’s going downhill.” I answered.

“Are any teachers pureblood here?” Ella wondered aloud.

“Dumbledore is, I think.” Astoria said to Ella.

Callie said nothing; instead, she lay down on one of the other beds fanning her inky black hair onto an emerald pillow, listening to our conversation rather than participating.

I shrugged indifferently; it really wasn’t of much importance to me. For some really annoying and undesirable reason, I could not help but think of Alya. How I wished that she did not go to Hogwarts, and yet I still had this impulse that I wanted to see her...but then again, I did not; I was curious.

I began getting ready for bed as a distraction, but as soon as I lay down on the bed, my mind was straight back on this unknown sister of mine. I had not thought much of her for a long time, especially since Draco informed us of how she had turned out, but with her being this close...it was as if I was being pulled towards her. Merlin knew I didn’t want to, but Alya was a mystery, an unknown, and that is something that I just couldn’t resist. No. I must.

**********


“Cass, Cass, Cassi!” Astoria called impatiently, as she shook me silly. I moaned and groggily turned over, slapping her hand away as I opened my eyes- there she was right in my face. “The alarm went off five minutes ago! If you don’t get up, you’ll be late.”

I got up and trudged over to the bathroom; Ella was back at the dressing table brushing her hair and Callie was making her bed. I was the last to get ready but the girls waited for me anyway. We then made our way up to breakfast- I was curious as to what lessons I would have today.

The smell of breakfast made me feel lightheaded, “Err.” I muttered pouring myself a glass of orange juice. The other girls looked at me, questioning my comment. “I hate breakfast.” I explained.

“Ohh.” Astoria said in understanding, helping herself to eggs.

I looked up to see the head of Slytherin giving out timetables; he wore jet-black robes to match his greasy black hair that only made his skin seem yellower, sallow somehow- Professor Snape. He was one of Draco’s favourite teachers; he was the Potions teacher, yet I found him...strange.

“Ahh...Miss Lestrange.” He said acknowledging me as he handed over my timetable. “I thought after your sister I wouldn’t have you in my house; your upbringing shows why you are here, though. Ravenclaw is your sister’s house, is it not? I’m sure your mother won’t be too disappointed.” His tone was bemused and patronising- it only angered me.

“She is no sister of mine!” I hissed, but he only laughed and moved on.

“You’re not a fan of him.” Callie noted, smirking.

“Well at least he understands pureblood views.” Ella said.

“Hmm... everyone here is a Mudblood or Mudblood lover.” I replied, looking down at my timetable. Transfiguration first; in all honesty this is what I was looking forward to- learning. Although Uncle Lucius and Aunt Cissy had taught me some spells in the little time I had with my wand. There was so much now that I would be able to do. “At least our first lesson is with Ravenclaw; I’d rather them out of the bunch,” I noted to the others.

“Cassi, are you going to eat anything at all?” Astoria asked me. In response, I scrunched up my nose at the spread laid out in front of me, causing the other three to laugh.

“Let’s go, then.” Ella said, getting up from the bench.

The four of us walked along the corridor, chatting lightly about what we thought are lessons would be like, what teachers we would like and hate. Ella was going on about History of Magic and how interesting it must be. I looked at Astoria and we both burst out laughing.

“What?!” Ella demanded.

“Take it from people that have family members at the school, History of Magic is not ‘interesting!’ The teacher is a ghost; Draco told me how he died in a chair in the staff room, but his ghost didn’t even realise it at first! I mean, to be that unobservant you have to be boring! And so he just carries on...” I said turning dramatic, then laughing with Astoria and Callie.

Then the laughter was gone; I stopped first. The others noticed my swift change of mood and followed my eyes; they too grew silent. It was as if someone had placed a mirror in front of me, only this mirror allowed me to age a few years. Right there in front of me was my double, only she was older; the same thick long shining black hair- darker than ink, thin lips of a subtle pink colour, dark heavily-lidded eyes, and a strong jaw that made us so like our mother. Yet it looked all wrong on her; her smile made it look so... strange. Standing now, almost in front of me was Alya.

My back shot up with fury, I held my head high and pressed my lips together fiercely. Alya obviously didn’t get my hostility and she carried on towards me; I knew that she would some time but I had hoped she wouldn’t approach me in public!

“Go on without me,” I told the girls. Callie and Astoria went to walk on but Ella hesitated and then thought better of it. I couldn’t do this with an audience; luckily, Alya was alone too; the girls sneered at her as they passed- to my pleasure.

Just as she reached me, she looked up in alarm- I couldn’t believe it! She was worried about being seen in public with me! When I clearly had the better status! However, it made sense when I heard the fast footsteps followed by my cousin’s voice. “How dare you approach her!” he hissed. “Keep your filthy blood traitor ways to yourself! Come, Cassi,” Draco said, taking my arm.

“Can I speak to my sister alone!”Alya impatiently interrupted Draco.

I arched my eyebrow at the word ‘sister’ and said, turning to Draco, “You know, I think we need to talk.” He caught on with my mood and smirked.

“ I’ll speak to you later,” he laughed before walking off; Alya stood, confused to our joke.

“Do you think we could do this in private?” I asked, trying to keep my voice as emotionless as possible.

“Yeah, there is an empty classroom over there, I think,” she replied, gesturing to her left. I followed her into the classroom but said nothing, even though she kept shooting me friendly glances. The classroom was nothing special, the thick dust told me it hadn’t been used in a while- Alya pulled out a chair and sat down but I carried on standing, not planning to stay long.

“Look, I didn’t come here to get to know each other, I think it would be best for both of us to pretend that we don’t know one another and leave it like that.” I told Alya who now looked as if she had been slapped in the face.

“But you’re my sister! Why am I going to pretend I don’t know you?” Alya cried in disbelief.

“WE’RE NOT SISTERS!” I raged, finally losing my cool. “You do not know the first thing about me; if you did, you wouldn’t be calling me your sister! Don’t you get it, everything you believe I contradict- we’re different people!”

“So because I don’t believe in blood status, and the Dark Arts, and all of that, we are not sisters? Because I talk to Muggle-borns and I am in Ravenclaw you disown me as a sister?” Alya asked in some sort of saddened tone.

“Yes, that is exactly it- apart from the house; Ravenclaw doesn’t really matter. So why don’t you change your name- to whatever Andromeda’s is- and stop disgracing mine?”
“They told me you would be like that,” Alya whispered as I walked out of the classroom. I didn’t know what she meant by that but I didn’t care.

**********


“Miss Lestrange, could you please explain why you are fifteen minutes late to my class?” Professor McGonagall’s stern voice rung out as soon as I stepped foot in the classroom.

“Sorry, Professor, I ran into a familiar face...it won’t happen again.” I replied taking a seat next to Ella.

“Stay behind at the end of class. Now class, it is your turn to try and turn these beetles into buttons; if you do not say the incantation, with clear pronunciation and precise wand movement, there will be no effect. So this will require some practice.”

As we began practising, I saw Ella turn her head inquisitively towards me. “Soo... how did it go?” she asked.

“Worse than I thought; she actually wanted to be friends, but I put her straight. She’s probably crying in the toilets or something.” I replied dismissively.

“I can understand where she is coming from; I mean, if it was me I woul-” Astoria began to say from behind but fell quiet when the three of us gave her questioning looks.

“Enough chit chat! Less talking, more working; Transfiguration is not something to be taken lightly!” Professor McGonagall said, coming to stand in front of our table. “Miss Lestrange, let’s see what you can do.”

I took a deep breath; after all I had a lot to live up to, I calmly placed the beetle that had been scuttling away in front of me. With a flick of my wand, right before my eyes, the beetle transformed into a button- to my utmost pleasure.

“Good, five points to Slytherin; keep practising,” Professor McGonagall said before walking over to a Ravenclaw table.

My initial bad start to the day had now been transformed, as had my mood, due to my accomplishments. And my mood improved even further throughout the day up until the last two lessons. History of Magic was just as boring as everyone expected- much to Ella’s dismay.

“Merlin, I can’t actually believe I thought that could be interesting!” she droned as soon as we were out of the classroom.

“I told you so,” Astoria yawned. Callie laughed but said nothing; I had only known Ella and Callie a day but I was quick to pick up on their characters. Ella was typically outspoken and lively; she showed her dislike to those below her in blood status very bluntly. At the same time, Callie was quiet; not like Astoria, in that scared way but a sort of deadly silence. She seemed not to think much of Ella or Astoria, as she only really talked to me, but I could be wrong.

The four of us walked to Defence Against the Dark Arts, our last lesson of the day. The closer we grew, the worse off I became. I knew even before I had entered the class that this would be my worst lesson, for two reasons. Firstly, my family embraced the Dark Arts; so why would I want to learn defence? And secondly, the teacher; rumour had it that he had been very anti-Death Eater and Harry Potter’s parents’ closest friend. That meant I would not like him and he would feel the same for me.

As I stood before the door, I took a deep breath, and then entered. He stood at the front of the class, waiting for the students to settle in their seats, I sat at the back- seeing it best to avoid confrontation with this man as he would be handing me detentions like they were going out of fashion.

“Good afternoon, class, I will be your Professor this year and for those of you that don’t know, I am Professor Lupin.” His voice was calm but not boring like Professor Binns’.

The thing that surprised me was that Professor Lupin’s lessons didn’t turn out to be that bad; well, for someone who doesn’t believe in the subject they were all right. And, despite the obvious lack of blood purity, Professor Lupin was actually a good teacher. Teaching must have been natural to him, for he explained everything thoroughly and always attempted to get the whole class involved. He never lost his temper, and, even though I was a replica of my mother, he did not overlook me- which I found strange. As a result, I did not overlook him, despite his poor appearance. I believed this to be my reasoning for why I did not step out of line in his class and was somewhat polite.
Chapter Endnotes: Please review. For a saddo like me, it's everything :)