Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Pure-Blooded Angst by pheonixhobbit

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Draco hadn’t slept well for two weeks. The most hours he had slept in one night came to the grand total of three. His grades were plunging dramatically as his mind slowed dangerously near to a halt. The adolescent hair that began to grow on his chin became distinct as he ceased his nightly ritual of removing the hair magically. Draco’s hair became untidy and much like Harry’s as he forgot to comb it in his anxiety. His eyes began to lose their intimidating sparkle and took on a dull, exhausted shine. Draco’s nerves were also tested to breaking point as his worries and fears increased day by day when he saw that nothing was happening. If Draco would have paid less attention to Hermione and more to Pansy, he could have done something better to achieve victory over her. Yet, Draco felt it his duty to stay by Hermione, and protect her at all times.

Over the next few weeks, Pansy Parkinson devised and carried out her plan. It was simple, but deadly. For a week and a half Pansy snuck out to the Forbidden Forest, and in a secluded clearing, she magically began to dig a great pit. When finished, the hole was fifteen feet wide and fifteen feet long and came to a dangerous ninety-foot drop. Roots, sharp and stark, stuck out of the edges. Pansy would send an owl to Hermione, posing as Harry and Ron luring her to the area. As soon as she appeared by the hole, Pansy would curse her, which would cause her to fall in. The hole would then begin to refill itself, pounds and pounds of dirt would fall on Hermione as soon as she hit the ground; she'd be buried alive. To secure the plan, she would send an owl to Harry and Ron, posing as Hermione, telling them to come to the library to lure them away from the site. Pansy would send a letter to Draco, posing as Hermione as well. Pansy would tell Draco to meet her up in the Divination Corridor. Nobody would be able to stop her. Harry, Ron and Draco wouldn’t be there to save her. Draco would be on his way to the Divination Corridor thinking he’d meet Hermione. Harry and Ron would be in the library, thinking that they would meet her there. Pansy’s plan was set; all she had to do was set a date and time for the event. After a moment of pondering she chose the weekend before Christmas Break, Saturday night. The time: sunset, Pansy would let Hermione have a last look at it, Pansy guessed. Satisfied, Pansy happily pulled out a long red feather quill. She jovially dipped her quill in deep emerald ink, and taking the quill out of the bottle with a flourish, she proudly drew an ‘x’ on the day of Hermione Granger’s defeat.

It was dinnertime and Draco’s head was slowly falling onto the wooden surface of the table. Try as he might, Draco’s conscience would not let him close his eyes. This was because ever since he suspected Pansy, he had followed Hermione everywhere (excluding the bathroom, shower, and bedroom). Draco stayed close to her in the day and evening times, often having his arm around her, and looking behind him at all times. When it was dark, he slept outside the Gryffindor Portrait in his Invisibility Cloak, over-protective as it seems. Draco allowed himself fifteen minutes of shuteye every hour, and would wake up approximately three minutes before he had to. Draco hadn’t slept in his bed for so long, he forgot what his mattress felt like and envied rest of the student body for not having such worries as he. Draco only went to the dungeons to get his books, change his clothes, and shower. He had even stopped eating properly.

“It’s all for the best.” Draco muttered dazedly. He suddenly felt a hand on his back, and he lifted his head up sharply. To his relief he saw Hermione looking at him in concern. Draco had been sitting next to her at the Gryffindor table, the teacher’s had questioned but Dumbledore told them that Draco had his reasons.

“Would you like to take a walk with me?” Hermione asked.

“Yeah.” Draco said and gathered his books and clumsily made his way to the doors, pulled along by Hermione.

They walked along the grounds for a while and talked about random things. Hermione stopped by the banks of the lake.

“Sit down.” Hermione said pointedly. Draco dropped his books, and yawning, fell on the frigid grass.

“It’s cold, isn’t it?” Hermione said as she sat down next to him, pulling her cloak tighter.

“It’s nice.” Draco said and closing his eyes, he laid himself down, his head resting on Hermione’s thigh, and in return, Hermione kissed his cheek. Draco smiled in gratitude.

“I love you,” Hermione said softly, “but you don’t have to protect me all the time. I know what you’ve been doing. Your Invisibility Cloak’s gone loose a couple times while you were sleeping outside the Gryffindor portrait.” Draco’s eyes shot open so fast it hurt.

“How did you know?” he asked incredulously.

“One day, I left one of my books in the library. As I was going to fetch it in the dead of night, I happened to see a certain blonde headed boy’s head floating next to the portrait. Scared me half to death.” Hermione replied teasingly.

“Can’t keep anything from you, can I?” Draco asked, laughing. Hermione smiled, and then frowned.

“You look so exhausted, Draco. You’ve got to stop looking after me like that. You’ll end up hurting yourself more.”
Draco sat up and looked at Hermione.

“I can’t do that. I don’t feel good about you being without me.” Draco said, his eyes boring into Hermione’s. She put a hand on Draco’s cheek and he took it in his hand and kissed the palm.

“I can take care of myself. You haven’t slept in days. You’re the one that needs looking after.” Hermione said.

“I don’t want to leave you by yourself.” Draco replied.

“Yes, you can. You have to. I’ve done my share of fighting.” Hermione retorted gently.

“What if something happens and I’m not there to save you?” Draco asked, holding both of her hands to his lips.

“Then, I’d hex them.” Hermione replied and Draco smiled.

“I just need you to be careful, watch your back, and all around you, you hear? If I’m not there, take Harry and Ron with you. Do not go alone.” Draco said firmly.

“What if I go alone?” Hermione asked.

“Then I’ll have to come get you before something else does.” Draco replied.

“What if I go alone and nothing happens?” Hermione asked cheekily as Draco’s smile grew bigger.

“Then, I’ll hunt you down and follow you wherever you go, and I’ll never stop coming after you until you’re safe in my arms.”

“That’s a bad thing?” Hermione replied teasingly.

“Hermione Granger, do not speak to me in that tone.” Draco said with an air of a certain headmistress, Hermione laughed and threw her arms around Draco, who held her close.

“Promise me something.” Hermione said, still in Draco’s arms.

“Anything.” Draco replied comfortingly.

“Promise, starting from tonight, that you’ll go to your bed, and sleep there. Promise me, you’ll get a good night’s sleep and promise me you’ll start eating regularly.” Hermione said.

“Okay.” Draco replied.

“No, say you promise it.” Hermione demanded firmly.

“I promise.” Draco said, and hugged Hermione tighter. Draco felt content, sitting there, on the cold grass with Hermione in his arms. They stared out onto the misty lake for a while, and only when it got unbearably cold did they go back inside. Hermione kissed Draco goodnight and went to her own bed.

Draco trudged slowly back to the dungeons and hoped she would be safe. Tired as he was, he didn’t fail to put his Invisibility Cloak back in it’s place. Slowly, he showered, changed, and even more slowly, he crawled into bed. The feeling was magnificent; the pillow felt soft and cool against his head and the blankets didn’t seem to want to let go of him. Draco was asleep before he knew it, but even in his dreams something nagged at his brain, something that was bothering his soul greatly, and as much as he wanted to rid of it, Draco couldn’t help but wonder and question.