Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Pure-Blooded Angst by pheonixhobbit

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The next two weeks passed ordinarily, and Draco’s worries began to fade into feelings he thought were just paranoia. It was Friday night; the next day would be the beginning of holiday break. Snow had begun to fall steadily and continued to fall overnight as students slept. By Saturday morning, three inches of snow had blanketed the grounds and turret tops. Draco awoke to find himself shivering against the heatless dungeon and subconsciously cursed the school’s placement of the Slytherin House. Surely, the staff had enough decency to provide for the student’s well being? Draco pulled the blankets tighter around him and tried hopelessly to keep his eyes closed and his mind in the dream world. When he failed miserably and he gave up and throwing the blankets off of his shivering body, began to get ready.

Draco glanced at the Slytherin serpentine clock and figured that everyone else was probably awake, with the exception of Slytherin House who were still confined in a chilled dungeon.

“No point, really. First day of break, all students should be able to walk around in their pajamas…” he said loudly. The other Slytherin six years stirred at the sound of Draco’s voice.

“What the hell is wrong with you…waking us up for a bunch of stupid bananas…” mumbled a boy who was half awake and looked he had made a straightjacket out of his sheets, “Go back to sleep, Malfoy, you great elephant…”

“Shut-up, Gray!” Goyle yelled dazedly from across the room and threw a pillow at the boy. Gray made a muffled noise and went back to sleep, pillow still embedded in his face.

“No, no. Lie back down, go to sleep.” Draco said as Crabbe and Goyle began to climb out of their beds when they saw him. The two shrugged and fell back onto their beds in unison. Draco shook his head and went in the bathroom. A few moments later he came back out, fully dressed. He grabbed his cloak and left the dormitory.

Walking up the winding stairs leading out of the dungeons, Draco could feel the temperature change and embraced the warm atmosphere of the castle. It reminded him of the holidays, and Hermione. He had bought her a gift already, a white frilly scarf and matching gloves, along with Chocolate Frogs, Ice Mice, and Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans. Draco even gathered his courage and went inside a stuffed animal shop, a place he had never ever gone into since the age of, well, he had never gone into a prissy stuffed animal shop before. There, Draco bought a chocolate brown teddy bear that clapped every time someone kissed you (he thought it would please her).

Draco felt his stomach rumble and quickened his pace, hoping for a delightful holiday breakfast. He was walking towards the Great Hall when suddenly he felt his arm being pulled backwards.

“Whoa…!” Draco cried as his body was dragged back, and his face tensed when he saw whom it was. Anger and dread filled his heart and he would’ve liked nothing more than to hex Pansy Parkinson into tomorrow.

“Hi, Draco,” Said Pansy seductively, “you’ve been ignoring me.” Pansy wrapped her arms around Draco’s neck, pulling herself mercilessly closer. Draco was not one to accept her cruel ways. At once he pushed her away furiously.

“Never, ever touch me in that way again, Parkinson.” He hissed. Pansy smirked.

“You used to let me touch you, why not now?” Pansy simpered and made to put her hands on Draco’s chest, but he shoved her hands away.

“Because I finally realized how pathetic you are.” Draco retorted, annoyed to the point of murder. Pansy clicked her tongue.

“Stay on my good side, Malfoy, or your precious Mudblood might just, say, fall out of your life.” Pansy said menacingly, raising her voice at the end of the question.

Draco’s temper snapped and he pushed her against the nearest wall and pinning her there, he swiftly took his wand out and placed the tip at her neck.

“What the hell do you mean by that? Answer me!” Draco yelled threateningly.

“I meant what I said, Draco. Nothing more, nothing less.” Pansy whispered evilly. Draco surveyed her expression, and knew she had something up her sleeve.

“If you lay a finger on her, I’ll come after you. I don’t care if it’s your shadow that darkens her way to me, I will find you, Parkinson. I will find you and I will make you pay. Do you understand me?” Draco said furiously, his voice shaking uncontrollably in anger. Pansy nodded and Draco thrust himself off of her and made his way in total anger to the Great Hall. Draco knew something would happen now, he was more than sure of it.

Pansy watched Draco as he disappeared behind the Great Hall doors and was tempted to go and kill Hermione right then, but she knew she had to keep herself in order, to make it as enjoyable as possible. Soon, the letters would be written and sent out, and her plan would begin to unravel.

Draco walked furiously to the Slytherin table, sat down and with a shaking hand, poured himself a glass of water. He brought the trembling glass to his mouth and drank from it with fervor. He set the glass down and put his face in his hands and let out a long shuddering breath. Draco’s quickened breath slowed and steadied. After calming down, he got up and went to look for Hermione. Draco walked swiftly upstairs to the Gryffindor portrait. He saw it fly open and Harry stepped out.

“Harry”I mean”Potter, have you seen Hermione around?” Draco asked, walking towards him. Harry raised an eyebrow.

“She’s still inside, sleeping, I would imagine. Why? Do you need her?” Harry asked, his voice natural.

“Yeah, that’s kind of why I asked, Potter.” Draco replied coolly.

“Well, I can’t exactly barge into the Girl’s Dormitory, now can I, Draco?” Harry retorted.

“Can’t you send another girl to go up there?” Draco asked impatiently.

Harry stared at Draco for a moment and then sighed.

“Ginny!” He called, and a moment later a short, red-haired, pretty girl appeared.

“What’s up, Harry?” she asked, and Harry pointed at Draco.

“Ask him.” Harry said and disappeared into the common room.

“Malfoy.” Ginny said amusedly.

“Weasley.” Draco said curtly in hello.

“What’s up, then?” Ginny asked, clapping her hands together.

“I need you to go and get Hermione, please.” Draco said.

“That’s it?” Ginny replied, raising both her eyebrows.

“Yea. So, can you go and get her? I don’t have forever on my hands.” Draco said, his voice expressing an impatient tone.

“Alright, cool your thestrels. I’ll be back in a minute.” Ginny said and went to get Hermione. A couple of minutes later Hermione appeared, tousle-haired, and still in her pajamas and slippers. Ginny came from behind and steered her towards Draco.

“G’morning, Drakey.” Hermione mumbled and fell forwards into Draco’s arms. Draco caught her and looked at Ginny questioningly.

“Oh. See, last night, four boggarts attacked the Girl’s Fifth
Year dormitory.” Ginny said, nodding.

“And? What’s it got to do with Hermione?” Draco asked.

“Well, we couldn’t exactly fight them…four’s kind of a lot, and when each boggart turns into a girl’s greatest fear…it raises the bar. So I had to go and get Hermione who eventually got rid of them, but the boggarts had turned into failed essay papers…”

“Mmmhmm.”

“And after Hermione got rid of them she rewrote all four essays. It took her until about two hours ago to finish them all. Which explains the…uhh…” Ginny said pointedly.

“Ah.” Draco said and began to straighten the exhausted Hermione in front of him.

“Well, I’ve got to go and finish wrapping some gifts…” Ginny said and began to leave.

“Thank you, Weasl”I mean, thank you, Ginny.” Draco said, smiling.

“No problem. So, you have changed for the better, eh?” Ginny asked, smiling. Draco shrugged. Ginny gave him a last smile and shut the portrait. Hermione gave a loud snort and Draco jumped in surprise; he grabbed her shoulders and shook her gently.

“Hermione?” Draco called.

“Eleven over ninety-three times the mass of the sun and the weight of the moon minus the momentum of the comet Atticus added by the age of the Earth and the circumference of Mars times pi equals”“ Hermione mumbled.

“Hermione!” Draco yelled. Hermione’s eyes shot open and she frantically looked around her until her eyes finally rested on Draco.

“Draco?” Hermione asked in confusion, her hands grasping Draco’s arms for support, “What are you doing here?”

“I just wanted to see how you were.” Draco replied. Hermione smiled through her exhaustion and took his face in her hands.

“You’re so adorable…” Hermione said, and kissed him lightly on his lips. Then, she fell upon his body, causing Draco to take a wide step backwards. Slowly he straightened himself into standing position, steadied himself, and picked Hermione up so that she lay in his arms. Hermione was surprisingly light, and even though she was so exhausted, she smiled and put her arms around Draco’s neck and laid her head on his shoulder to make herself more comfortable. It was an action that Draco found comforting and rather attractive. Draco gently carried Hermione down the many flights of stairs, through the hallways and into the open doors of the Great Hall.

The scent of a holiday feast slyly circled his head and Draco felt more awake. Draco carried Hermione over and set her down gently at the Gryffindor table. Hermione opened her eyes and yawned.

“Hungry?” Draco asked, handing her an apple. Hermione took it graciously and chewed on it. After a moment she stood up and stretched.

“I’m going to go and change, alright?” Hermione said and turned around.

“Wait,” Draco said and put his hand on her shoulder.

“Yes?” Hermione asked.

“Do you have your wand?”

“Yes. And no you can’t come with me, and yes I can take care of myself.” And with that, Hermione left the Great hall. Draco smiled and then got up and followed Hermione out. Turning a corner he saw Hermione at the foot of the steps leading up to the Portrait. and silently sped in that direction. She was almost to the Portrait when he crept up behind her and slid his arms around her waist. Hermione let out a sudden shriek and pulled her wand out of her pajama pocket. She squirmed out of his hold and turned around to face Draco.

“Relax! It just me.” Draco said laughing. Hermione looked dead surprised but she let out a petrified chuckle.

“Draco, I specifically said you couldn’t come with me.”

“I just want to hang around my girlfriend…” Draco said slyly, pulling her closer, “I just want to protect the one that I love.” Draco whispered, letting his hand stroke the side of her face. Hermione rested her arms on the bends of Draco’s elbows; her hands lay peacefully on the developing biceps of his arms.

“The one that you love? Just one?” Hermione asked, her voice barely a whisper. She drowned in his warmth and protection. Draco kissed her forehead.

“One. It’s not like I have anybody else.” Draco said kindly, “Now you can be sure that all my love is only for you, forever.”

“That’s a big burden.” Hermione said, laughing.

“If you don’t want me anymore, just say the word.” Draco said shrugging “Doesn’t mean that I’ll stop caring for you.”

“Don’t say stupid things like that.” Hermione said firmly.

“Okay.” Draco stated and kissed her cheek deeply.

“Now can I go and change?” Hermione asked with an air of a whiny seven year old.

“Yeah.” Draco nodded.

“Thanks. See you later.” Hermione said and giving him a quick hug, she walked away.

Draco stood staring after her. She probably would never know how much Draco loved her, but it was his job to let her see for herself. He hoped that Pansy wouldn’t do her in within the next ten minutes, but then again, Hermione was the smartest witch in their grade. With that thought in mind, Draco ran down the steps and to the Great Hall again to finish his breakfast.

Hermione walked the rest of the way to the Portrait in content and reached the portrait of The Fat Lady.

“Sugar Spun.” She said with a sigh. The Fat Lady shook her head.

“No? Oh, I’m sure that’s what it is. I’ve not been wrong yet. Are you sure that’s not it?” Hermione asked kindly, bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet.

“No, that’s the right password.” The Fat Lady said absently. Hermione raised an eyebrow.

“Then, why aren’t you letting me in?” she asked confusedly. The Fat Lady snorted and laughed dismissively.

“Traitor.” The Fat Lady hissed. Hermione raised her eyebrows in shock.

“Excuse me?” she asked disbelievingly.

“You heard me, you little betrayer.” The Fat Lady retorted, and launching an insulting spit wad that splattered against an invisible shield.

“What the devil do you mean by that?” Hermione yelled.

“Kissing, hugging, touching that son of a Death Eater, that Slytherin! You’re a perverse girl! I thought a girl smarter than the rest of the student body would learn who to kiss and who to curse!” The Fat Lady said, her voice sounding angry and betrayed.

“Just because I don’t follow the stereo-typical road that most of this anarchic school are following doesn’t mean I don’t have the brains to see the truth behind a person’s eyes! Just because I don’t possess the personality that you have doesn’t mean I’m a dumb person. It doesn’t matter what house you’re placed in as long as you can learn to tell the difference between impurity and purity, between love and hate, between good and bad!” Hermione cried, slamming her fist against her hand as she ticked off each point. The Fat Lady, however, sat staring with her mouth slightly open and her eyebrows raised.

“What?” Hermione spat.

“Good Morning, Headmaster.” The Fat Lady said sweetly, coming to her senses. Hermione’s eyes widened considerably and she gulped. She slowly turned around to look at the twinkling eyes of Albus Dumbledore.

“Good Morning.” Dumbledore said absently to the Fat Lady.

“I”I can explain”” Hermione began frantically, but Dumbledore frowned and waved his hand.

“No, there’s no need. I heard every word and can understand English as well as the next Headmaster.” Dumbledore said smiling, he put his hands behind his back and walked around Hermione to face The Fat Lady, “What I do not understand is why one of my own staff is showing an unfair act of accusation. Can you tell me why this is?” Dumbledore asked, his eyes boring into those of The Fat Lady’s.

“W”Well, if y”you heard every word then you must’ve seen Granger and the Malfoy boy kissing?” she said uncertainly.

“What I saw, was a truthful act of love,” then he looked down at Hermione, “I was not being intrusive, I was merely passing by, if you’ll pardon me, Miss Granger.” He said apologetically and Hermione shook her head and smiled in forgiveness,
“Anyway, in my book at least, there is nothing wrong with love. Don’t you agree?” Dumbledore continued.

“Well, yes”but no! Draco Malfoy is the son of a Death Eater! They caused more trouble than my heart could manage! Burning pictures of our heroes! And that girl! Falling in love with the known enemy of our own school hero! Harry Potter! I promised I wouldn’t get involved, but oh, my poor heart couldn’t take the shame.” The Fat Lady simpered, putting a hand across her painted forehead.

“I wonder, how many times I have to say this. Do not meddle in the student’s business; do not display an act of ignorance and or bias. Respect the students and in turn they will respect you. What do you have to say to this young lady?” Dumbledore said, placing a gentle hand on Hermione’s back.

“Sorry.” The Fat Lady said and with a loud “Hmmph!” she swung open.

“Thank you, Professor.” Hermione said graciously. Dumbledore winked and smiled walking away humming to a tune unknown.

Hermione walked inside ignoring the Fat Lady and went upstairs to her Dormitory. She said hello to anyone who was there and gathering some clothes, slipped into the bathroom to shower. Twenty minutes later she came out, refreshed and changed. Hermione threw her cloak around her and got out her wand. She waved her wand at certain oddities laying about her bed and said

“Wingardium Leviosa!” The objects lifted up into the air and with another wave of Hermione’s wand, they flew back into their places. Hermione smiled and hummed her way out of the Dormitory. She was heading out of the Portrait hole when Ron and Harry blocked her way.

“Excuse me, guys.” Hermione said and made to push through them. Unfortunately, two men seem to be much more physically stronger than one woman, and with two firm hands they grabbed her arms and dragged her backward away from the exit and dropped her on a red armchair.

“What was that for?” Hermione asked, annoyed at this unexpected act of resistance.

“It was for your own good, Granger.” Harry said, slapping Hermione on the knee with one hand as he pulled up a chair to sit on with the other.

“Uh-oh.” Hermione muttered. They had called her by her last name and whenever that happened, it wasn’t a good sign.

“Yeah.” Ron said, nodding fervently.

“What’s this all about?” Hermione asked, sighing and folding her arms across her chest.

“This is about the ever increasing time you spend with Draco and the ever shrinking time you spend with us.” Harry explained.

“You know…I have to be some place.” Hermione said hurriedly and tried to get up but instead got pushed back down.

“Do you hear that, Harry? It’s like she doesn’t even know us anymore.” Ron said, shaking his head.

“Yeah, and it’s only me and Ron now. The name ‘Hermione’ will soon be diminished from our vocabulary if you don’t start hanging out with us.” Harry said with his eyebrows slightly raised. Hermione cocked her head.

“Is that a threat?” she asked.

“No, it’s the result. The most that Harry ever talks about is Luna this and Luna that and how much he’s going to make Snape suffer for taking points off just for spelling ‘Gillius’ wrong. I can’t take it anymore!” Ron explained.

“Yeah!” Harry said and then took a double take at Ron and furrowed his eyebrows, his cheeks going slightly red, “what?”

“Nothing.” Ron said, shaking his head and smiling. Harry pushed the remark to the back of his head.

“And the only time Ron mentions you is when he asks where you are and if I’ve seen you and what he’s going to do to Draco if he hurts you, and that’s like every, what, ten seconds? It’s not like you don’t know how to wave a wand and say a bloody curse, is it?” Harry said, throwing laughable looks at Ron.

“Shut-up, Harry.” Ron said, his ears going a violent red.

“What would you like me to do? Break up with Draco?” Hermione asked.

“Yes.” Ron said automatically, nodding.

“No. No, don’t do that. Just hang out with us more, all right? We miss you and we’re not afraid to admit it.” Harry said, smiling guiltily.

“Yeah, I miss you too. More than you know.” Ron said, and
when Hermione looked at him with an eyebrow raised, he blushed. “I mean with out you, it’s just scarhead and the weasel. Where’s the fun in that, you know?” Ron said hurriedly.

“Yeah, where’s the fun when the know-it-all isn’t there to keep you two in order.” Hermione agreed and they all laughed.

“So, does that mean you’ll spend more time with us?” Harry asked, smiling.

“How about I split the vacation time between you guys and Draco?” Hermione said suggestively, “Because I can’t just not spend any time with my boyfriend.”

“How about you spend it fifty-fifty? You know, half the vacation with us and half the vacation with Malfoy.” Ron said suggestively.

“It would probably be like sixty percent with you guys and forty percent with Draco because seeing as all of us are in Gryffindor and I get to see you as often as I want.” Hermione replied.

“Or zero percent with Malfoy and one hundred percent with us if Malfoy gets shipped off to his Mum…” Ron said in an undertone.

“Ron.” Hermione said warningly.

“Okay, okay.” Ron said, putting up his hands in surrender.

“How about this. You spend all the time you can afford with us, and the rest you can spend with Draco.” Harry said.

“That sounds good to me.” Hermione said, nodding “Ron, what do you think?” she asked, pleading voicelessly with Ron.

“How about we kill Draco and you can spend all of your time with us?” Ron asked hopefully. Hermione threw a pillow at Ron’s head.

“No.” she said firmly.

“Okay, fine. I agree to Harry’s plan.” Ron said, and was attacked by an overjoyed Hermione who had thrown her arms around Ron’s neck, who blushed a plum red.
Hermione let go of Ron gave a Harry a hug.

“Thank you so much, you guys.” Hermione said appreciatively.

“What are friends for?” Harry asked.


Compromise.