Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Pure-Blooded Angst by pheonixhobbit

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Draco slept fitfully that night, having just found out from Goyle that a Hogsmeade trip was in order the next day (Saturday. Draco yelled at Goyle before falling back to what was now a light and restless sleep. Draco knew he was going to see Hermione, and he wanted so badly to do something for her. But what?

The occupants of the Slytherin dormitory awoke around eight that morning to get ready for Hogsmeade. It was the middle of the frigid month of November and holiday shopping had to be done, Christmas and other, before the last minute. Of all the surly, bad tempered Slytherins, Draco was not to be found in the dormitory or the common room.

Having woken up in the early morning hour of five-thirty, Draco, fed up with trying to sleep but never sleeping, jumped out of bed. He threw off his pajamas and abandoning his school attire, he put on a dark green sweater, and black pants. Draco also took a rather heavy bag of Knuts, Sickles, and Galleons and put it in his pocket, knowing that the next time he would be in the dormitory would be after the Hogsmeade trip. He put on his Slytherin cloak for identification purposes, and snuck out of the dormitory.

For at least two hours Draco walked the castle, walked its halls as they slowly began to lighten with the sun’s first rays. He was deep in thought, contemplating on what he had to do for Hermione. Draco didn’t believe that Hermione would accept chocolate and candy roses from him. So he had to think of something else, something simple, but something that would give the slightest inkling of a thought that Draco really did care. With this thought, he brainstormed until his brain hurt and he was annoyed enough to scream. Draco checked his watch: it was seven thirty four. He had never told anyone how much he enjoyed walking in the halls. Perhaps he only realized how much he enjoyed when he was alone. The stone and marble hallways were like bridges of solitude. Draco was most comfortable by himself. He couldn’t harm anyone, couldn’t hurt his or her feelings, and didn’t have to worry about everybody hating him and fearing him. He could wonder and think in peace without anyone criticizing him for it.

It was a horrible thing for Draco, being a lonely island that everybody was terrified of, just because a black cloud hovers over it. Never knowing that if that cloud passed on, they would see things in Draco Malfoy that they never thought him to possess. Draco had generosity, sensitivity, and kindness that only let out when he had enough courage to let them out. His reputation had forced him to shield any spark of humanity that erupted when he was with people that knew his reputation all too well, but had no idea who Draco really was. In other words, Draco was a complete and total stranger behind an image obvious of malice, an image the line of Malfoys passed on through sheer confidence that every Malfoy would be as evil, as prejudiced, as the ones before them. They always kept their word. Then, Draco came along.

‘Ah yes. Young Draco will be the most successful of them all. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turned out to be the best of us, the greatest Death Eater that has ever been born.’ Draco’s grandfather had said. Draco used to repeat this over and over in his head as a child, thinking it was the greatest compliment he had ever received. Now, he had learned of the madness of Voldemort, the brave stupidity of his father, and the total blindness that the Malfoy family possessed. Draco now thought the once-wonderful compliment a massive insult, a horrible combination of words that proved the oxy moronic ways of the Malfoys. Greatest Death Eater? There was no such combination! The degrees went from bad to worse to hellish, but never, ever, being mixed with words that were used to describe positive things, or for that matter, quantity.

Draco checked his watch: it was eight o'clock. He decided then that he was quite hungry, having eaten nothing at dinnertime. Draco headed off for the Great Hall, the thought of food in his mind.

He pushed open the doors and found that it was quite empty. The Gryffindors, Slytherins, Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws all came at their own time on the weekends, and Draco just happened to be the only person there. He had never seen the Great Hall so empty, the tables void of food, the teacher’s table and chairs bearing no weight. Draco, almost crestfallen at the sight of no food on the tables, sat down at the Slytherin section of the Great Hall. Suddenly, plates of eggs, toast, pancakes, waffles, and beef/pork sausages appeared before him.

A second later, syrup, butter, salt, pepper, jam, and peanut butter appeared before his eyes. Not a second after that jugs of orange juice, pumpkin juice, milk, water, and fruit punch appeared as well, along with an empty plate, spoons, forks and knives, an empty flask, and a napkin. Draco looked around, impressed, but something was missing…

“You’ve forgotten the porridge and cereal.” Draco said, leaning over to whisper uncertainly to the table. Suddenly, a bowl of oats and raisins in milk and a bowl of cereal appeared. Draco, again impressed, whispered thank you to the table. He then pulled the waffles close to him, took three or four, drowned them in syrup and butter, and poured himself a glass of milk. He grabbed the nearest fork and began to eat vigorously, chewing each bit as if it was his last, savoring the taste it left in his mouth, and closing his eyes in enjoyment.

Draco was on his round of pancakes when the doors burst open to reveal at least one hundred or so students, all from different houses. They ignored Draco and sat at their own tables, attacking the food when it appeared. Soon, the whole school was in the hall and everyone was eating excitedly and talking animatedly to their friends. The Slytherin table was the least excited. Draco took no notice as he leaned back, burped, and rubbed his now content stomach.

“My dear, did you sleep alright? I was afraid you were sick, and I wanted so badly to see you…but I was so tired myself.” A voice said and Draco jumped at least a foot in the air when he heard it and knew who it was. It scared the living daylights out of him. Draco turned to find Pansy’s head on his shoulder, her hand stroking his arm. Draco had the sudden urge throw her off but held his calm.

“Yes, Pansy, I know. Listen, I have important business to adhere to today, and I would much like it if you did a favor for me.” Draco replied, picking his words carefully.

“A favor?” Pansy repeated, her eyes lighting up and a smile erupted on her face.

“Yes. Take Crabbe and Goyle to Hogsmeade and tell them not to come even a foot near me, because I have to shop for gifts.” Draco said, “They can’t come near me because I’m shopping for them. And if they even step towards me and disobey you, tell them they aren’t getting anything.”

“Of course, Draco, my love. I will keep them away.” Pansy said and kissed his lips lightly. Terrible anger boiled up inside Draco and those waffles that tasted so good, were screaming bloody murder in his stomach. Forcing the anger away, he forced a smile.

“Pansy. The same rule goes for you. If I see you near me, you will not receive your holiday gift. Do you hear? If I see any of you in the same shop, you will not receive your gifts.” Draco said, trying to drill it in her head. Pansy nodded her head and went to go get Crabbe and Goyle.

“Good morning, students!” McGonagall’s voice filled the Great Hall.
There was a scattered reply.

“You will now go outside the entrance to Hogwarts and wait for my assent to leave. No, wait a minute… all Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh years can leave because I have their forms. Third years, will wait. Thank you and enjoy your time.” McGonagall said formally and stepped down from the pedestal.

Draco lined up with his fellow Sixth years as they filed out of the Great Hall.

While walking down the halls to the entrance doors, Draco was aware of someone looking at him. He turned to his right and found Harry, Ron, and Hermione not far away.

Ron and Harry took no notice of him because they were talking to each other. Hermione, on the other hand, caught Draco’s eye and then quickly looked down, determined to keep a straight face, fighting the rosy color that now blossomed on her cheeks. Draco didn’t want to look away, so he didn’t. Hermione looked up again and Draco smiled in hello.
Hermione turned sharply away, ignoring this new action. They walked through the doors and everybody climbed in the carriages that awaited them, now they were pulled by white horses. Draco supposed Hagrid had been taking off the thestrals on the transportation menu for an unknown purpose and climbed in to an empty carriage and locked its doors.

The horses galloped swiftly to the town of Hogsmeade, which was bubbling with excitement amidst the cold. The students jumped excitedly out of their carriages and split up to buy gifts. Students swarmed every shop, picking and paying for their purchases. Draco saw Harry, Ron, and Hermione split up as well. Draco went his own way; he would talk to Hermione later.

He went into a shop that sold scarves and hats. Draco bought two black and green scarves for Crabbe and Goyle, and a silver and green one for Pansy, which was her only gift. He hoped she would choke her self on it but pushed away the negative thought. He went on to Honeydukes and spent some time their buying sweets for his own pleasure. He found a peculiar sort of chocolate that changed colors when it was touched. He bought two boxes of them for Crabbe and Goyle, knowing that it would keep their slow minds amused for a while. He bought three boxes of chocolate frogs that he could give to people in his house. Draco bought Bertie Bott’s beans for himself along with an enormous amount of chocolate. This would be his stash for as long as possible. Afterwards, Draco spent some time walking around Hogsmeade, enjoying the cold weather and the bubbling excitement.

Later, he walked into The Three Broomsticks for a mug of hot butterbeer. His heart leapt and stopped at the same time when he saw who was sitting alone on a barstool with her purchases beneath her. Draco looked around for any sign of Harry and Ron, or any other Slytherins. When there wasn’t he took a deep breath and walked towards Hermione. He sat down casually next to her, trying to keep his heart from jumping out of his mouth, his hands from touching her. The dim light made it sort of easy for him to talk to Hermione; it was peaceful in there.


“Hello.” Draco muttered.

Hermione jumped when she saw the person next to her.

“What are you doing here?” Hermione asked sharply, her cheeks yet again turning red.

“I…I wanted some butterbeer.” Draco said uncertainly.

“Go away, Malfoy.” Hermione stated.

“I can’t.” Draco replied, his heart brimming with love and hurt. He couldn’t help but notice that Hermione’s eyes were sort of red. She turned to face him.

“We settled this already, Malfoy. I don’t need your friendship.” Hermione said again.

“May”“ Draco began but was interrupted by Madame Rosmerta.

“Can I get you anything dearest?” she asked Hermione. Hermione forced a smile and shook her head no.

“And you, sir?” she asked Draco. Draco looked at Hermione for a moment before turning to Madame Rosemerta.

“Butterbeer for two, please.” Draco said kindly. Madame Rosmerta nodded and went to retrieve it. Hermione looked sharply at Draco.

“I don’t want any.” She snapped

“Well, I’ve already bought it,” Draco said pointedly as Madame Rosmerta came back with two hot butterbeers. Draco gave her three sickles and she left, “The least you can do is drink it with me.” Draco said to Hermione. Hermione looked at Draco for a moment before pulling the mug towards her.

“Hermione,” Draco said, and she shivered and took a sip of her drink. Then she turned towards him and looked up to show that she was listening.

“Hermione, I think you do need my friendship.” Draco said slowly, trying to keep his hands from holding Hermione’s.

She smiled cynically.

“I don’t need it, and I’ll tell you why. Since day one, you’ve proved yourself to be the biggest git on the face of this earth. You’ve cursed me, insulted me, confronted me, and been prejudiced against me. What makes you think I, of all people, need the friendship of someone who has tried to make my life a living hell?”

“Because, I don’t think you believe that I’m like that. I know I’ve been horrible; I hate myself for that. Hermione, my father’s in jail. The other day I didn’t say anything to Ron about that subject because I don’t care. I despise my father with a hatred you can’t imagine.” Draco said, and looked in Hermione’s eyes. Her eyes were now attentive and understanding.

“I’ve beaten myself up on many occasions for what I’ve done to you, because I knew that you really didn’t believe my reputation.” Draco whispered.

“You still make fun of Ron and Harry.” Hermione stated, as though it was her only defense now.

“If you want me to stop, I will.” Draco whispered.

Hermione looked away, beaten by Draco’s surprising truthfulness. Draco put his hand on her cheek, and turned her head towards him, and she didn’t resist.

“I will.” Draco said again, looking in her eyes again, and smiling. “If it matters so much to you, I will stop. But only for you.” Draco said.

“You’re being truthful.” Hermione said, shocked.

Draco laughed, a seldom thing.

“Yes. Yes, I am.” Draco replied. Hermione allowed a faint smile to cross her features. Draco checked his watch, if he left now; he could get a gift for Hermione and then head back to the castle for lunch. Draco began to pick up his bags.

“Do you really like your friends?” Hermione asked when he picked up his bags.

“Crabbe and Goyle are Ok. Pansy is bloody pain” Draco then looked Hermione and said seriously. “You stay away from her. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Hermione blushed slightly.

“I have to go somewhere now. I guess…I guess I’ll see you later then?”

Draco said awkwardly and made to leave.

“Yes…see you later, Draco.” Hermione said quietly, and surprised that saying his name wasn’t so hard after all, and when he said her first name, it was a new feeling. He said it so…wonderfully.

“Draco.” Hermione called after him. Draco turned.

“Shall I tell Harry and Ron?” Hermione asked.

“If you want, but it would cause more trouble than good. They’d think I would hurt you.” Draco replied. Hermione shifted uncomfortably.

“Would you? Could this be another trick, and I don’t know it?” Hermione asked quietly.

Draco walked back towards Hermione and leaned down in front of her, gathered all of his courage and kissed her cheek lovingly.

“I wouldn’t be able to do that if I hated you.” Draco said, and then gathering his bags, left The Three Broomsticks, leaving Hermione Granger in awe.