Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Pure-Blooded Angst by pheonixhobbit

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Draco spent at least an hour or two in each shop searching, touching, and arguing. He was in a rather fancy stationary store when his eyes fell on a quill. Well, one might be so ignorant as to call it just a quill. It was a solid gold quill with a diamond tip. Draco went over to it, and read the information card. It read:

“The quill of secrets is a highly advanced quill, made by a specially trained team of wizards. Just write on any surface and the words will appear in your lovers mind in the form of your voice. One quill is 3000 Galleons and two are 5000 Galleons.”

Draco put the quill back in its place.

First of all, Draco would have loved to buy it if he had the money around for nothing, but seeing as he didn’t, he did not want to risk his life taking 3000 to 6000 galleons out of his account, when his mother checked everyday for unwise spending. Second of all, Hermione and himself weren’t lovers yet and he did not want to rush into things.

Draco was walking around Hogsmeade when he saw a shop called Aphrodite’s Charms. Draco was intrigued so he went in. There were so many elaborate and wonderful things inside; they even had a catalog you could take back and order from home. Draco’s eyes fell on a rose that was levitating on a pedestal. Curious, Draco approached it. The rose had a real emerald stem and real silver lined the petals. The rose was made of red ruby and finely detailed with solid gold that trimmed the tops of the petals. He picked it up gently and felt the real weight of the rose, it was staggering. But not staggering as in heavy, staggering as in light! Draco had expected it to be at least ten to fifteen pounds because of the way it was made. Draco handled the rose carefully and took it to the store personnel behind the counter.

“Excuse me, how much is this rose?” Draco asked politely.

“That’s five hundred Galleons.” The witch said, glancing up at the rose.

Draco thought for a moment…yes it was worth it. Draco waved his wand at his pouch and three small numbers appeared. It read: 58 Galleons, 34 Sickles, 22 Knuts.

Realizing he didn’t have enough he brought the pouch to his lips and muttered:

“Five-hundred Galleons from Draco Malfoy’s Gringott’s back account.”

After a second or two, a goblin’s voice came from the pouch.

“Mr. Malfoy, please say the password in your own tongue so that we may know it is you. If it isn’t you, we will know immediately whether you have magicked your voice into Draco Malfoy’s or not.” Draco rolled his eyes; don’t they ever get tired of doing this every time he withdrew money?

“Pure-blood.” Draco muttered.

“Where would you like your withdrawal placed?” the goblin voice said, sounding rather disappointed.

“Aphrodite’s Charms, second register.” Draco muttered.

“Thank you for withdrawing.” The goblin said and the pouch glowed blue for a moment and then went back to its grisly gray. The register clicked full and the witch waved her wand over the register and it read. “Five hundred Galleons added.”

The witch took the rose from Draco and put it on the counter. The rose then began to wrap itself in gold paper and it flew itself in to a decorated box. Draco took the box and left the store and went back to his carriage and pulled it shut. Many students had already left, some, many hours ago.

The sun was lowering minute by minute, and Draco then realized he had missed lunch. Searching his robes pockets he found the roll he had took from dinner the previous night. It wasn’t stale, but it wasn’t as soft as it was before. Shrugging away doubt, he ate the roll as the carriage sped away.

When they arrived at Hogwarts the sun had laid itself on the brim of the lake and the night sky was slowly consuming the baby blue. The students filed in and ran with their purchases to their houses to take a good look at them. Draco went to his own house and was glad that Pansy, Crabbe and Goyle had not seen him.

Sitting on his bed he opened the box, there gleaming in the undeserving Slytherin light, was the rose. The luster of the rose was obvious as it shed its genuine beauty onto Draco’s face. The rose expressed most if not all, what Draco felt for Hermione. Tonight, he would give it to her; tonight would be his chance to show her how much he loved her. Draco decided to write a note to her. He took a quill and bottle of emerald ink and began to write a note. Writing was never a problem for him; he would just let words flow out of his mind and onto the paper. It didn’t matter what people thought of it, because in the end, it would be the truth. So, when he wrote the last letter, he held it up to read.


Hermione,
I will not say my name, as you might already know who it is. At eight thirty (middle of dinner) please meet me on the staircase leading to the Forbidden Corridor. I apologize for the abrupt timing for this, but it is the only way I can be alone with you. I don’t think anyone will bother us at that time.

See you then.



Nodding, Draco folded it up and wrote: “Hermione Granger.” Draco put the slim box inside his robe pocket and headed for the Owlery. Draco pushed open the door and began to look for an owl that wouldn’t be suspicious. He chose a gray and white owl and tied the letter to its leg. Draco leaned out the window and watched the owl fly to Gryffindor Tower.

In Gryffindor Tower, Hermione Granger was reading a book that she bought called “Legends of the Mountains, and the Waters of the Lake Lochness.” Even though highly absorbed, she kept thinking of Draco, and what happened in The Three Broomsticks.

“Hermione, can you hand me that bag over there?” Ron said, not looking up from his game of Wizard Chess. Ron versus Harry, and Harry was losing.

“Over where?” Hermione said monotonously.

“By your feet.” Ron replied. Not looking, Hermione reached down, found the bag and threw it at Ron. Ron caught it and ripped it open. He took out a box of chocolate frogs and shoved one in his mouth. Harry did the same.

A tapping at the window interrupted the unusually calm events. Hermione looked up and saw an owl. Harry got up and opened the window for it; the owl flew past Harry and towards Hermione. Hermione was confused as it landed on the headrest of the chaise langue she was sitting on. Hermione patted the owl’s head and took the letter off its leg. The owl hooted and soared out of the window. Harry and Ron stared at Hermione, and then at the letter. As Hermione was reading it, her eyes became wide. Ron made an abrupt lunge for the letter but she pushed him away. Ron landed on the floor, surprised at her strength. Hermione then got up, forcing down any excitement and confusion, and began to walk towards the staircase leading up to the Lady’s Dormitory.

“Hermione…?” Harry called uncertainly.

“Uhm... its just Professor McGonogall… umm… she’s congratulating me on my perfect score…on the test we took.” She replied.

“Then why are you leaving?” Ron asked suspiciously.

“Because I want to get ready for dinner. These clothes are horrible. Why in the world did you not say anything?” Hermione snapped.

“Because you never cared how you looked before!” Ron retorted.

“Well, now I do.” Hermione said and walked up the stairs and looked for something better to wear.

The dinner was nerve racking for Draco, he couldn’t eat, and so he settled on gulping pumpkin juice down his throat until he was full. Draco avoided Pansy’s eye, and was glad that two of the fattest kids in Slytherin House were sitting on either side of him.

Draco checked his watch: it was eight twenty; he had ten minutes to get there and wait.

Draco went as swiftly as he could to the staircase, and he sat on its steps. Draco hoped that this was an okay spot. Ten minutes later, Draco heard footsteps and stood up. He squinted his eyes as the person came into view. Hermione stopped at the foot of the steps. She was wearing a checkered skirt and a black blouse, her hair was set the same way it always was and an uncertain smile was playing upon her lips. She had her cloak on her shoulders but in a way that was elegant and beautiful.

“I’m glad you came.” Draco said hoarsely.

“I’m glad I did, too.” Hermione said and blushing walked up to where Draco was standing.

“How are you?” Draco asked kindly.

“I’m fine,” Hermione said looking down at her feet. “I’m sorry, for that day in Potions…I was rather nasty.” Draco shook his head and daringly pushed away a strand of hair that rested on her cheek.

“You weren’t nasty. I deserved everything you said. I might have to say that you went easy on me.” Draco said, not letting his eyes look away from her’s, no matter how much it hurt him. Her eyes were attentive and almost confused at what she was hearing.

“Hermione, I can’t take back everything I might’ve said to you, or done to you. But I can tell you how much you mean to me. You must understand, the words and things that I’ve said and done are from someone that doesn’t exist anymore. Someone I am ashamed to admit I was. Maybe, I don’t realize the extent of the damage I might’ve done to you…”

Draco stopped; he was crumbling under the weight of this. Never had he been so sensitive, never had he understood, until now, how much damage he had done. Hermione’s eyes were now sad, and understanding, and she put her hand on his arm and laid her head on his chest. Draco trembled at her touch and inhaled deeply, and rested his chin on her head. He was finally with her, and she was with him. Maybe Draco didn’t notice that his eyes were tearing up, but he knew that he had pulled her close and she didn’t resist. He lifted her chin up so that she was looking at him. Draco was surprised that her eyes were red, and a tear was falling down her cheek. Draco wiped it away.

“I have something for you, but first I want to say something.” Draco said softly.

“Yes?” Hermione asked, wiping away the rest of her tears but not moving away.

“Hermione, I lo”“ Draco was interrupted by huge movement under his feet.

Apparently, Draco and Hermione had forgotten that the staircases moved. Hermione’s cloak was thrown off by the speed of the movement. They were thrown off balance as the staircase swerved to the left. Draco pulled Hermione in front of him so she wouldn’t be crushed under his weight as they were thrown aside by the force of the movement.

It seemed that Dumbledore had increased the staircase’s movement speed for students reaching classes at late times. Draco had never been on a staircase when it moved. He felt his spine crash into the rough stone railing and groaned. Hermione’s hands were still on his chest when the staircase moved unexpectedly to the right. Again, they were caught off guard and this time, Draco didn’t have the time to pull Hermione in front of him to save her from an excruciating pain, instead he just managed to pull her closer so he could put his arm around the small of her back. Draco felt his arm slice from the sharp railing. Then everything stopped. Draco pulled away from Hermione so he could see if she was okay. Hermione’s eyes were closed. Draco gently shook her awake, and she opened her eyes.

“Hermione, are you okay?” Draco asked, his hands on her shoulders.

“I’m fine”“

“Hermione!” yelled a voice. Hermione and Draco turned to find Ron standing at the foot of the steps. Ron was looking at the hands on Hermione’s shoulders, the cloak on the floor, to Hermione’s now disheveled hair.

“Ron…” Hermione whispered.

“What the hell did you do to her?” Ron said fiercely, his eyes glittering in utter anger.

“Ron, no he didn’t”“ Hermione began defensively.

“I ASKED YOU, WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO?” Ron yelled and he pulled out his wand. Green sparks flew out and Draco was thrown backwards, landing on his back on the steps.

Draco felt cuts open on his back. Hermione screamed. Ron ignored this and focused on Draco. Ron muttered something and Draco fell forward, this time landing on the side of his face. He felt a searing pain across his cheek and forehead. Draco pulled himself up and trembling, reached for his wand. Before he could, he caught Hermione’s eye and released his wand from his grasp. Draco promised, promised he wouldn’t hurt Ron or Harry. Hermione couldn’t speak; she was in shock. Ron let another curse fly from his wand. Draco felt his body convulse and fall back once more. Ron pointed his wand at Draco.

"NO!" Hermione screamed, before Ron could do anything more.
Ron looked at her.

“That’s enough, Ron!” Hermione said, her voice trembling.

Ron nodded and glared at Draco. Who was trembling as he pulled himself up. Ron grabbed Hermione’s arm but she pushed him away. Ron looked at her questioningly.

“Go away, Ron.” Hermione said through gritted teeth. Ron opened his mouth to retort, but instead glared at Draco before walking away, still trembling in anger.

Hermione heard a thump and turned back to Draco. In his state, Draco couldn’t manage consciousness and fell back down. Hermione ran to him and turned him over, blood was blossoming on his chest.

What Hermione Granger didn’t know was that the gift was broken, and in turn, was hurting Draco. The rose shattered in its box and its valuable pieces cut through the box when it had been crushed between Draco’s and the staircase's weight. The shattered remains ripped through cloak and sweater, finally embedding themselves in Draco’s chest.