Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Pure-Blooded Angst by pheonixhobbit

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
That night, Hermione Granger abandoned her usual schedule of studying and reading, and wondered instead on the kiss that Draco had given her. She put her fingers to her lips and thoughtfully wondered. A soft smile fluttered across her lips, and she closed her eyes.

Hermione slowly lay back on her pillow and sighed quietly. She felt so beautiful. From the soaking locks on her head to her tender feet, she felt a grace inside her, something that swam in her blood; something kissed her soul and grazed its fingers across her heart. She was, for the first true time in her teenage life, in love. She was in love with someone who had been her enemy a few weeks ago…no…Draco was never her enemy, just trying to live up to what he had made himself to be, but crushing himself as he did. Hermione felt little if no resent against Draco, they had saved each other that night and would continue to do so until the end of time.

Hermione wasn’t aware that she was dozing off, but she was aware of some wonderful feeling that was washing over her; love.

Hermione woke up as morning filtered through her window, and she felt the same way she did the other night. Hermione gathered her clothes, and went for a hot shower. The water hit her body and she indulged in its addictive heat. Hermione closed her eyes against the water and almost fell asleep again. She hadn’t said a word since she left Draco the other night, and she kept that silent promise, as if when she spoke she would fall out of this makeshift heaven and Draco wouldn’t be there to catch her when she did. Hermione dried herself and put on her school uniform.

“Because it’s Monday.” Hermione thought to herself, while buttoning up her blouse. Hermione combed her damp hair and moisturized her face and hands. She grabbed her book bag and went down the stairs for an early breakfast and hoping to see Draco.

“Where are you going so early in the morning?” said a voice
Hermione turned around and saw Ron sitting on an armchair with his arms folded across his chest. His eyes were puffy with tiredness and his hair was disheveled.

“Why do you care?” Hermione retorted, still remembering the staircase incident.

Ron’s face tensed as he stared at her, but a moment later he blinked, swallowed and looked at the ground. Hermione shook her head and made to leave.
“I saw you.” Ron said forcefully. Hermione’s heart stopped, and she turned around.

“What?” she asked, her voice trembling with anger and fear,

“I saw you and Malfoy, last night. You were…you were…” Ron stopped and turned away, as if he was going to be sick if he said it.

“Kissing. Yes, I know. And his name is Draco.” Hermione snapped. Ron stared at her, and then got up and walked towards her. He put his hands on her shoulders and looked in her eyes.

“He is the son of a Death Eater, he makes fun of my family, he called you Mudblood, he hates Half-Bloods and despises Harry. The Sorting Hat didn’t have to be put on his head for him to be put in Slytherin and it didn’t wait a bloody second when it did.” Ron said seriously, his eyes glittering and wide with a ferocity that Hermione had never seen. Hermione grimaced and shook Ron’s hands off her shoulders.

“You can’t look past his surface, can you Ron? Draco didn’t fight back that day on the staircase; he let you hurt him. He promised me he wouldn’t hurt you or Harry! I made him promise. Draco was unconscious for fifteen hours, if he had such a big ego he would’ve come after you in less than a second! If he was so evil he would’ve killed you.” Hermione snapped; she wasn’t about to believe this.

“What, you’re saying the Sorting Hat bloody malfunctioned?” Ron yelled in reply.

“I’m saying that back then, Draco admired his father, he wanted to become his father! Well, hey, Lucius Malfoy wanted an evil son, so he poured some evil and malice into Draco. First years are extremely vulnerable. Even we were vulnerable, we believed everything we could touch. Just because a person is born into a house doesn’t mean that they have to have those characteristics forever!” Hermione yelled, her face becoming flushed.

“But he’s Draco Malfoy!” Ron said exasperatedly. Hermione closed her eyes, and exhaled, calming her self.

“People can change, Ron. I thought you of all people knew that.” Hermione said slowly.

“What are you getting at?” Ron asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Your own brother…” Hermione began.

“Oh, bloody hell, Hermione!!!” Ron said, throwing his hands up in the air.

“Ron, your own brother, left your family, because of assumptions made by a pompous egoistic man like Fudge. He was a Gryffindor Prefect, Head boy, and our friend, Ron. Please, don’t think that other people can’t change, they can. Draco has changed for the better. I just wish you could see that.” Hermione pleaded.

“You have a point. But it doesn’t make this any less comfortable, Hermione. I just don’t want to see you hurt.” Ron said, softening up.

“I know this is hard for you to take in but just give it some time, Ron. I don’t expect you to give up six years of hatred over night.” Hermione said soothingly.

“I don’t expect to. After completely insulting my family and me for six years, everyday. I can take that because I’m used to it…but you and Malfoy”“

“Draco, Ron.” Hermione corrected. Ron rolled his eyes.

“You and Draco…it’s just hard to believe…that…he called you Mudblood, and he calls himself Pure-Blood…it’s…wow. Blimey. Wait till I tell Harry…” Ron said to himself.

“I already know.” Said Harry behind Hermione. Hermione turned around to face him

“Harry, you better had heard this because I’m not going to explain it again.” Hermione said warningly. Harry smiled and shook his head.

“Last night I kind of…uhm…followed Draco around a bit in my invisibility cloak...to see if he was going to hurt you or not.” Harry began slowly, afraid of Hermione’s reaction, fortunately Hermione smiled.

“And?” she asked.

“There’s nothing for you to be afraid of, but don’t tell him I followed him around or anything like that. Hermione, just because Draco’s changed for the better doesn’t mean the rest of Slytherin House has, so watch yourself. Oh, and it’s going to take a while for me to get used to you and Draco…and tell him to ease up on Ron.” Harry said, putting a hand on Hermione’s shoulder. Hermione beamed and pulled Harry and Ron into a tight hug.

“You guys will always be my best friends, but it’s just that I’m deeply in love with Draco and I’m his friend as well. You don’t have to be if you don’t want to.” Hermione said, and felt a great weight lift off her. Hermione left Harry and Ron with a happy feeling, and Harry and Ron were feeling a little better, knowing that Draco wouldn’t hurt Hermione.

Happiness was on her side today, and even if she doubted that Harry and Ron would be friends with Draco, she believed that they would never hurt each other. She trusted Harry’s judgment, but Ron’s reaction bothered her; he was too lenient. Ron hadn’t believed Draco to be angelic just yet. Hermione felt a shudder go through her heart as she suspected some trouble before she and Draco could be peacefully in love. Hermione knew that things would get in their way, and she wasn’t wrong.

It was then, while walking to breakfast, that she caught the eye of a person waiting for her by the doors to the Great Hall. Hermione walked towards Draco and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing his cheek.

“It’s going to be ok.” She whispered.

“Did you tell Harry and Ron?” Draco asked, whispering softly in her ear, as he held her body close to him.

“I did. They’re okay with it, but…” Hermione began but stopped, she pulled back to look at him. “It’s Ron. I don’t know what he’s about on the subject.”

“Don’t worry about it, I’m not up on being best friends with him yet…or Harry for that matter. Do you realize I’m calling them by their first name?” Draco asked, puzzled.

“Yes. They called you by your first name as well…not easily though. Easy up on them both, don’t make fun of Ron’s family, it hurts me when you do.” Hermione told him pleadingly.

“I won’t, I’m through with being nasty like that. Just don’t expect me to smile and shake their hands or anything. I can ignore them if you want.” Draco suggested.

“That’s more than enough.” Hermione said and laid her head on Draco’s chest.

The sunlight shined on her hair and Draco touched the silky strands, mesmerized by the beauty she possessed inside and out.

“I’m still scared, Draco. What if something happens?” Hermione asked, looking up at Draco as he pressed his lips against her forehead.

“Then you must remember, Hermione, always remember that I love you.” Draco whispered softly. “And no matter what happens, I’ll always be there when you need me.”

Hermione nodded and moved closer to him, as if she wanted to hide in his wisdom. Draco kissed her lips before she could do anything and pulled her close, showing once again, that he loved her, and that his love would save her from any trouble, threatening or not.