Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Under Snape's Regime by joehook

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The old man slowly pushed himself out his chair, his wand raised, looking at Neville with surprise and fear. Neville raised his hands in innocence and looked into the man's sparkling blue eyes. He was oddly familiar to Neville –

'Who are you?' said the man in a brave voice.

'Neville Longbottom.'

A flicker of understanding passed over the man's face.

'Longbottom, eh? Frank and Alice's son?'

Neville nodded, arms still raised. The man nodded too and lowered his wand.

'My name's Aberforth.'

They shook hands.

'You come from the school?'

'Yes, sir,' said Neville. He lowered himself from the gap in the wall and hopped to the floor of the room. He heard the small door close behind him.

'So you knew my brother then, I suppose?' he asked, his voice suddenly cold.

'Who's your brother?'

Aberforth grunted and turned away without answering.

'This is the Hog's Head?' Neville asked, peering through a hole in a floorboard, which showed the recognisable bar below. Then he realised who the man was: the barman here. Aberforth nodded again.

'How the bloody hell did you get in here?' he asked rather aggressively.

'I'm – not too sure,' Neville answered half-truthfully. 'Have you heard of the two Carrows that teach up at the school?'

'Hell yeah,' the barman grunted, gesturing Neville to take a seat at the table with him. 'Some of their Death Eater pals are keeping stock of stuff downstairs, potions and such. Only way I'm able to stay alive. But go on.'

'Well, they chased me up the whole school – the Carrows and I never really got on, you see,' Neville continued with a small smile. 'I found a place to hide and stayed in there for a day or so. I was beginning to get hungry but it was too risky to get my friends to bring me food. And then this passage opened up –' Neville broke off, looking behind him at the hole in the wall. He was surprised to see a large portrait there, of a young, blonde girl, no older than fourteen or so. She was in a simple, pale-blue dress and half-smiling; a long tunnel stretched out behind her.

'So I'm guessing you want some food,' muttered Aberforth.

'That would be very kind, sir.'

The barman got up and trudged down some stairs. Neville listened to him bustling around and looked back at the portrait of the blonde girl.

'My sister, Ariana,' Aberforth said, carrying a tray of ham and bread and a jug of pumpkin juice and watching Neville. 'Died a long time ago.' A hint of danger and anger appeared in his eyes but it was gone when he looked at Neville.

'I – I'm sorry to hear that,' Neville replied nervously, making a ham sandwich. He tried not to eat too quickly in case he was asked another question but he was ridiculously hungry all the same. Aberforth helped himself to some lunch as well, so the room was filled with the slightly nauseating noises of the men's munching and gulping.

'You said you had a brother, too,' said Neville.

'He died as well,' Aberforth said shortly. Neville spluttered on his bread in apology. 'Only last year.'

'I'm sorry,' said Neville again, feeling more humiliated by the second. He looked away, embarrassed.

'Well, you must have known him. He was the old Headmaster.'

Aberforth watched Neville's reaction.

'You – Dumble– you're Dumbledore's brother?' Neville blurted out loudly. Aberforth smirked.

'Indeed. I'll always be known as Dumbledore's brother, never Albus' brother. I hope you're not one of those idiots who worshipped him, Longbottom. Kept a lot of secrets, my brother did.'

Neville didn't know what to say; he wasn't even sure if Aberforth was talking to him or himself. He half-shrugged and took another bite of ham and bread to avoid answering. Aberforth was staring stone-faced into space.

'So you've had Death Eaters coming in here?' asked Neville, breaking the awkward silence.

'Yeah, just to stock their potions and poisons, like I said. A couple will come in once a week, to check if I haven't stuck 'em down the sink or anything. They've put a Caterwauling Charm and curfew on the whole of Hogsmeade. Anyone out in the village after nine, they appear outta nowhere.

'How're things at the school?'

'Not great,' said Neville, taking a swig of juice, 'the Carrows get us to torture students as a punishment –' Aberforth made a noise of disapproval but didn't look too surprised. 'Snape – well, Snape's Snape. He doesn't say much, but you can tell he's up to something. I'm going to get Dumbledore's – your brother's – Army into the Room where I came from and camp out there instead where it's safe.'

'My brother had an Army?' repeated Aberforth, interested.

'Has an Army,' corrected Neville patiently, 'well, sort of ... a group of the strongest students trying to plot against the Carrows and Snape – but it's hard. I don't expect walking into Hogwarts is any different from walking into the Ministry.'

Neville got to his feet.

'The Room I'm in doesn't provide any food for some reason – I'm sure it provides everything else. Would it be possible for me to pick up some food everyday, to keep everyone happy? I'm not sure how much I'll need; there are a lot of us.'

'I've got loads of food, lad, come down when you like. I like you, Longbottom. You've got spirit.'

Neville couldn't honestly return the compliment, so smiled and nodded.

'I'd better be off. Thanks for the food and drink. I'll take some back now, can I?'

Aberforth nodded and traipsed down the stairs again. Neville got out his coin and began etching out a message to the whole Army:

I'm safe everyone, can you all meet in the Room of Requirement as soon as possible. Make sure you take your trunks, there's some good accommodation now! Walkword is "I need a place to hide from the Carrows", or something along those lines - Neville


'There you are, Longbottom,' came Aberforth's strained voice as he emerged from downstairs supporting a large tray of meats, fish, bread and fruit and vegetables.

'Brilliant, thank you Ab.' He opened the portrait of Ariana and clambered into the mouth of the tunnel. Aberforth softened slightly at the nickname and placed the tray carefully into Neville arms.

'Take care now, lad.'

'You too – cheers.'

The portrait closed behind Neville as he straightened up. It would be a longer journey back with the marvellous platter of food but he was looking forward to what was waiting for him at the other end of the tunnel.