Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Under Snape's Regime by joehook

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
As the last of the scraps of food on the dishes evaporated and the plates and cutlery vanished, Snape walked slowly and purposefully round the back of the teachers and stopped in front of the table facing the students. It seemed that no-one was breathing, so silent it was in the Great Hall.

'As Headmaster,' Snape began; his voice was barely a murmur but Neville could hear every word, 'it is my responsibility to make a few things clear.

'The wizarding world in which we live has changed, gaining strength and power. Every movement made by the Ministry now is being orchestrated by the Dark Lord. As I speak, your family members are being tracked, some of which being interrogated, so I strongly suggest ...' he raised his voice slightly before pausing, as there were noises of outrage from various spots on the tables, '... that you make your behaviour your priority while inside these school walls. Those of you who are stupid enough to misbehave, in whatever form, you will be punished so severely, you'll wish you'd never been born ...' Everywhere Neville looked, he saw gaping mouths of shock; McGonagall, and a couple of the other teachers, were almost shaking with rage: not, Neville realised, in an attempt to live up to the firm rules, but because they were struggling to suppress their anger towards Snape. The Carrows, however, were struggling not to grin.

'Be warned – if your parents or other family members refuse to take orders from the Ministry, or aren't up to scratch in their positions, you yourselves cannot guarantee safety. However – we, and the Dark Lord, do not intend to spill magical blood. The purer our race, the more beneficial for all of us.

'Owl post is being monitored, opened, read and verified. Dementors stand at every entrance, secret or not, to the school. No other form of communication is permitted: that regards Floo Powder, Apparition, flying or any other form of transport that may allow you to contact someone outside the school without me knowing. You may reunite with your families at Christmas, if permitted, but you will be tracked the whole time and ensured that you return on time. There are no Prefects, Head Boy or Head Girl; the teachers have total authority. The Quidditch House Cup will not take place: it is a foolish game and I see no reason to maintain its sentiments.

'You will receive your timetables tomorrow morning – for those in fifth-year and above, your lessons are subject to change as part of the school requirements, regardless of what lessons you are expecting. All examinations at the end of the year will be practical.

'Finally –' Snape paused, a different look in his eye; he began talking slower and even quieter, 'if anyone gains knowledge throughout the year regarding the whereabouts of Harry Potter, do not hesitate to find me; I shall be in my office. This is of vital importance. If we know you are hiding information, you will be punished. Those of you who are noble enough to discuss information on Mr Potter will be rewarded – unless we find out you are lying, of course ...'

He flicked his wand and the Great Hall doors banged open.

'Follow your Head of House to your common room. You may leave.'

It took a few seconds of stunned silence before anyone dared to move; evidently the deadly voice of Snape was still hissing in their ears. Professors Slughorn, McGonagall, Sprout and Flitwick rose from their seats and quietly gestured their students to follow them out the Hall. Neville glared at Snape, who had started a conversation with Amycus Carrow on his right, for a few moments longer before getting up with Seamus and Ginny. On another night, Neville would feel tired after the feast, but pure fear of the morning had stimulated his senses, keeping him alert. He could well be in Azkaban for the amount of freedom he had now. His trepidation looked mutual: Seamus' jaw was tight and set in anger at the injustices surrounding him and Ginny looked whiter than a sheet.

The students trudged out the Hall, led by the Gryffindors, who climbed the many staircases; Neville took care in spotting the trick stair, though he still stumbled as he passed over it. The noise level gradually dropped as students from the other houses departed en route; Neville managed to give Luna a quick wave goodbye, wishing she could follow them into Gryffindor Tower instead.

Professor McGonagall brought them to a halt at the Fat Lady.

'Albus Dumbledore,' she murmured and the portrait swung inwards. McGonagall gave brief directions to the first-years for the location of their dormitories and stood at the portrait as the Gryffindors trooped in.

'Longbottom,' said Professor McGonagall, resting a hand on Neville's shoulder, 'make sure you stay safe this year ... nothing rash ... I don't want any excuses for the Carrows to harm you in any way – same goes for you Miss Weasley,' she added as Ginny made to manoeuvre round the two of them; her voice was slightly weak and almost pleading. 'I know we have no Head Boys or Girls this year, but it would be extremely helpful if you both kept an eye out for the younger students ... it would be wise to alert Mr Finnigan as well ...' With a feeble smile and small pat on Neville's shoulder, she departed briskly, leaving Neville and Ginny the last to clamber through the Fat Lady's portrait.

The common room was welcoming, Neville couldn't deny that; it was exactly how it usually was, which in itself was stupendously relieving. The squashy armchairs and hearthrug surrounded the crackling fire in the grate – Neville could almost picture Harry, Ron and Hermione sitting there as they always did, with Crookshanks on Hermione's lap, who would scratch him behind the ears ...

Blinking away the slight wetness in his eyes, Neville looked around the rest of the room. More chairs and spindly tables littered the rest of the space and the velvet curtains had been drawn; more than half the students had already headed to their dormitories. The only things that spoilt this warm, comforting scene were the notices on the notice board. Neville stepped in front of it and saw a photo of Harry glaring back at him with the words Undesirable No. 1 surrounding it. At the sight of this, Ginny hurriedly shot up the girls' dormitory, and Neville thought he heard a quiet sob as she left. Feeling rather nauseous himself, Neville scanned the rest of the board. His mood was somewhat lifted at the sight of a Weasley Wizard Wheezes advertisement and the date for the first Hogsmeade trip.

'Come on, Nev,' yawned Seamus, stumping up the stairs to the dormitory. With a final glance at Harry, Neville followed in Seamus' wake and undressed when he reached his bed. It felt very odd and empty with just the two of them. Their luggage had already been escorted up here, if not a little carelessly. Neville placed his wand and, once he'd dug it out from his trunk, his mimbulus mimbletonia, which swayed and crooned slightly, onto his bedside table. Wriggling into a comfortable position in his bed, wondering just how much sleep he was going to get tonight, Neville stared, glassy-eyed, at the moonlit cactus until his eyelids got heavier and heavier ...