Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Under Snape's Regime by joehook

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry this chapters a bit unexciting, the ones to follow should be more interesting I hope!
Ginny put her arm on Neville's shoulder.

'Don't worry, Neville ... at least we tried, right?' her voice was reassuring, but Neville could tell that she was disappointed too. He tried to say something, perhaps to agree, or to apologise for getting them both into this mess. He was now in no doubt that he, Ginny and Luna would get tortured by the Carrows, there was no question of it. Where was Harry when they needed him? He was their one and only hope of overpowering Snape and the Carrows. Some students may have called Neville brave, but he was a coward compared to Harry.

He was sweating, both as a result of his closeness to the fire and the ominous prospect of their punishment. Unable to stay still for a moment longer, he got to his feet, wiping the dried tears from his eyes and cheeks. Again, his eyes found the poster of Harry's face. He would be back soon, Neville knew it ... and he would get them all out of this nightmare when that time came ... Neville took the picture down and pocketed it.

Presently, the portrait door opened and Professor McGonagall emerged into the common room, her eyes flickering between Ginny on the squashy armchair in front of the fire and Neville, her expression stern.

'Well,' she began; she sounded rather flustered, 'it is apparent that my words to the both of you on the first day back have had no impact on you. That was highly irrational, surely you both realise that?'

Ginny said nothing but continued to stare determinedly into the fire; Neville bowed his head ashamedly.

McGonagall's voice was considerably calmer when she next spoke.

'Professor Snape has requested that you two and Miss Lovegood pay a visit to Hagrid tomorrow evening and he'll find some work for you to do in the Forest ... Professor Snape needn't know that Mr Finnigan was also involved in your schemes. But I must warn you both – your punishments could have been much worse – especially after some of the things I've seen,' she added with disgust, and Neville knew she was thinking of the Carrows. With a curt nod, she turned on her heel and swept out the common room.

Neville and Ginny looked at each other and, for the first time in weeks, started to laugh.

'Detention with Hagrid?' said Ginny, still chortling. 'I'm actually looking forward to it!'

Neville continued to snigger, more out of relief than anything. It didn't quite nullify the disappointment of failing to retrieve the sword but Snape's so-called punishment had caused him no discomfort whatsoever.

The portrait door opened again and revealed Seamus. His looked slightly disgruntled, but his expression turned to glee as he saw Ginny and Neville's faces.

'You got it?'he asked excitedly, 'I was waiting in the Room of Requirement for you but I didn't see –' but his face fell again as they shook their heads.

'But – why are you so happy?'

'Snape caught us in the corridor – another minute or so and we'd've done it.'

'And?'

'Well, his idea of a punishment for us is to go into the Forest with Hagrid ... dunno why he didn't get the Carrows to torture us.'

Seamus made a strange noise between a snort and a groan of disappointment. He slumped into the nearest armchair next to Ginny.

'Ah well,' he said in a strained never-mind voice, though it was clear he was peeved that he had been unable to help during the rest of the mission in Snape's office.

'So what did McGonagall want with you?' asked Ginny, and Neville was pleased she had changed the subject.

'Not much really, just warned me about annoying the Carrows – she'd obviously noticed all these,' he said indicating the cuts and scars on his face. 'She said it's my funeral if I carry on like it – which I will,' he added defiantly. Then he leapt to his feet.

'Oh, I nearly forgot – everyone's waiting in the Room of Requirement and I said I'd fetch you 'cause you weren't in there.'

Ginny stood up and she and Neville followed Seamus out the portrait, leaving it empty. They wandered down the seventh floor corridor and into the unlocked door of the Room of Requirement.

Neville felt as though he'd stumbled in on a funeral. Everyone was sitting on either the benches or the floor, gazing down at their shoes, barely talking. They all looked up as Neville, Ginny and Seamus walked in, some smiling weakly or grimacing. Seamus sat next to the Ravenclaw boys, Ginny with Luna. Now all eyes were on Neville.

'What happened, Neville?' Terry croaked.

Neville swallowed and drew a chair over to sit on.

'There wasn't enough time,' he said simply, 'we got your message Lavender –' she nodded '– and she took Seamus away. That might've wasted ten seconds or so. But we got in and out of the office fast enough but we ran straight into Snape down the corridor.'

'I think he knew you were up to something,' Anthony said. 'He watched you four as soon as you stood up and walked out the Hall.'

'So did anyone else get caught?' asked Neville, looking round at the rest of the students.

'No – Ernie's diversion was brilliant –' (Ernie gave a small, modest smile) '– all the teachers thought Peeves had done it and they couldn't see a thing. But I dunno ... Snape must've seen you go, or he wouldn't've followed you ...'

'What did Snape say?' whispered Ivy nervously.

'He wasn't even that angry,' answered Ginny. 'Just said he'll choose a punishment for us and walked off ... bet he wasn't too pleased when he saw the smashed case ... then again, who cares?' There were a couple of laughs.

'So what was the punishment?' Michael asked, his voice even lower and more fearful than Ivy's.

'Just to do some work with Hagrid in the Forbidden Forest,' said Neville casually.

'Really? I thought he was going to kill you for that!' said Zacharias.

'So did I,' admitted Neville.

There was a long silence.

'Well, we'd better be off I think,' sighed Neville finally, checking his watch. He gestured Seamus and the Gryffindor girls to follow. 'I'll decide on the date for another meeting soon ... I'm – I'm sorry everyone,' he blurted out, 'you all put the effort in and I wasted the chance –'

'Don't be stupid, Neville!' Ernie said quite aggressively, while others shook their heads. 'If anything, it's my fault, I should have distracted Snape for longer –' More noises of disagreement followed this, and Neville felt almost outraged that Ernie could pin the blame on himself, but didn't have the heart to say anything more and his throat was bone dry. With a final wave, he backed out the Room with the other Gryffindors. Ginny patted him gently on the shoulder as they re-entered the common room and he relaxed at her touch. He was very aware of her will to rebel, especially since the fight at the Ministry two years ago and when the Death Eaters had invaded in June. Had he let her down? He hoped not, but then who was there to blame? He and Seamus slumped up the dormitory but Neville didn't feel like sleeping, and had only the thought of how happy he would be if they hadn't been caught to comfort him. But he couldn't escape the fact that he was filled with misery and disappointment.

If only they'd managed to get the sword, it would have been worth it ... if only ...