Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Midnight Thief by Alice Mac

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
When James had appeared in the castle in the middle of the night three weeks ago there were many who did not believe his explanation as to how he came across the unconscious Effie. He claimed that Albus and Rose had come to him concerned as to her whereabouts - that at least was truthful - and that he had taken it upon himself to go and look for her. Guessing she may be wandering around the grounds, he snuck outside to see if he was right. Shortly afterwards, he had bumped into her and -realising that she was not herself as she tried to attack him - he acted first.

The professors found several elements of this account difficult to accept, particularly the part where he managed to walk through Hogwarts undetected on the way there and not on the way back. They were not entirely convinced he had acted alone and felt it odd that he would break the rules for someone he did not know to be in danger and who was not even a friend of his. Furthermore, they were suspicious of how quickly and accurately he had guessed her location. All of these questions could have been explained easily and instantly if he told them about the cloak, the cuff and the map. However, James could not run the risk of having them confiscated so he kept to his story determinedly.

After much interrogating, they grudgingly acknowledged his version of events. They simultaneously praised him for recognising the nature of Effie’s condition and dealing with it admirably and punished him for sneaking out of Gryffindor Tower out of hours. Neville told James that he should have come to him if he thought Effie might be missing or in trouble, but he was not too angry. Albus knew for a fact that Neville would have been able to guess the true version of events with more accuracy than anybody else. Professor Longbottom knew of their father’s Invisibility Cloak and the Marauder’s Map; however, he said nothing to Professor Weylin. Even so, James said he thought Weylin perhaps knew more than he was letting on as well.

James received a minor punishment of one night’s detention in the services of Hagrid ironically in the Forbidden Forest. The lighter punishment was due to him finding Effie in time before the curse made her do something potentially dangerous to herself or others. Effie herself was not punished for roaming around after hours. Professor Weylin seemed to think it punishment enough that she was cursed by a person or persons unknown and being stunned by a fellow student.

Albus gathered from James that, judging by her behaviour upon awaking in the Hospital Wing shortly after she had arrived, he was right to think that Effie may still have been under the influence of the Imperius Curse. Madam Pomfrey attempted to question her about what it was that she desired but she could get nothing more from her than what Albus and his friends could achieve before. After a couple of attempts at flight and a lunge towards her confiscated wand (removed from her possession at James’ recommendation) Professor Weylin entered and removed the curse swiftly and forcefully.

She could remember nothing once the curse had been lifted, as James had said. Weylin guessed that there may have been some element of mind altering involved as well, as she could not even remember any of the events of that day from Herbology that morning to the Halloween party to wandering around outside and being ambushed. She was merely scared and shaken when she awoke. When James privately told her the real story of what had happened she cried and asked him to leave. He guessed she felt ashamed that she had almost attacked Albus and had gotten James into unnecessary trouble. When she was discharged from the Hospital Wing it took her a while to be able to talk to them normally without sad eyes and shame on her face. They assured her many times that they were just glad she was safe. However, even after she relaxed in their company, she would still jump if someone touched her unexpectedly and flinch at loud sounds.

The information that James gave Weylin about what Effie had said prior to her insentience was received with apparent confusion. It seemed that Professor Weylin had little idea what item she could have been referring to. It was complicated by the fact that Hogwarts had acquired a plethora of things worth stealing over its many centuries of existence. There was not one person in the world who knew of every single one of them. The matter of the culprit was also difficult. With Effie having no memory of the event and there being no eye-witnesses to her attack, it was anyone’s guess as to who it was. Professor Weylin seemed sure it was not a student. Not that he did not think that some students may have the malice to commit the act, only that it was so well executed that this person had most likely had practice. He made faint suggestions that it could be a Death Eater as there was a handful who evaded capture through either their own covertness or not being high enough in the ranks to have been on the Ministry’s radar.

The very thought that there was someone close by capable of such an evil curse who desired something within Hogwarts had caused tension amongst many of the professors. They had successfully managed to prevent the information spreading to most of the student body, but those who did know were on edge. It was not helped by the fact that Weylin and the other professors had no idea how someone could infiltrate Hogwarts without their detection. Although it was clear that they were trying to project a veneer of calm, James said he had felt Weylin’s unease when he saw Effie Imperuised and the implications that it had for the safety of the castle. Weylin had hoped it would be an isolated event, but he promised that they would step up security in the event that the attacker tried again.

James had decided against telling his parents about his late night which Albus was thankful for since he knew that his father would not buy James’ story for an instant. The only remnants of that night were James’ sole detention, Effie’s nightmares and Albus’ questions. He could still find no answers to them as there was not much information to go on though he was determined to find some soon. The following weeks had been relatively quiet, aside from a Quidditch match between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, but even that was a pretty clean game resulting in Ravenclaws relatively swift victory after Elda Velox caught the Snitch within an hour of the game starting. Gryffindor would face Hufflepuff next term and was expected to beat them easily enough. Albus hoped James would fare better in that match than the one he had in Slytherin.

On a biting November Saturday there was their first cause for celebration since their disastrous Halloween night. It was Albus’ birthday and James and Albus’ friends were not going to let it go unnoticed. He had opened his presents excitedly that morning after being unwillingly awoken by Rose and James annoyingly early. He soon perked up when he saw the pile of presents to the side of his bed. Amongst them were copious amounts of Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes merchandise from his Uncle George, Aunt Angelina, Fred and Roxanne; a book on endangered magical creatures and a packet of Fainting Fancies (in case he ended up in detention with Malfoy again) from his Uncle Ron, Aunt Hermione and Hugo; a knitted emerald jumper to go with his eyes with a golden ‘A’ emblazoned on the front and some home-made Tiffin from his grandma and grandpa and tickets for the next Rufford Rockets Quidditch match - Albus’ favourite team - from his parents.

From his friends he received an assortment of sweets, joke shop merchandise, books and a pot of Somno Balm from Tristan - the plant that had caused him to oversleep on his first night at Hogwarts. Albus’ insistence that they did not make a fuss fell on deaf ears. After a day neglecting work, much to Rose’s chagrin, and even a visit from his parents and sister, the plan for his birthday party was revealed at dinner time as his brother grabbed his shoulders from behind, causing him to nearly choke on his bouillabaisse.

–Project: Albus’ twelfth birthday party is commencing in an hour little brother, so I’d get a move on if I were you.” Albus rolled his eyes at his bossy brother. It was typical that even though it was his birthday he had no choice in how to celebrate it.

–We were going to have it in the Room of Requirement but the problem with having a Prefect and a Head Girl for cousins is that they aren’t too keen on breaking the rules. We’re having it in the common room instead. All the family are coming, your little first year friends, my friends and any Gryffindors who fancy it.” He paused for a moment as if he was considering something. –You can invite first years from other houses if you want, but tell them to meet you outside and don’t let them hear the password.” James instructed Albus bossily.

Albus nodded and gave him a slight mocking look. –That’s very big of you, thank you,” he said sarcastically but James chose to ignore it as he wished to continue.

–Just make sure you’re there in an hour.” He turned to Albus’ friends surrounding him. –All of you, an hour. And no disappearing acts or going to bed early!” He looked pointedly at Effie who suddenly became very interested in her sticky toffee pudding. –It’s a weekend people, let’s try and stretch to actually enjoying ourselves - that means you, Rosie!” He ruffled his cousin’s hair at that and she pulled a face at him.

–But my Muggle Studies essay-” Rose began half-heartedly but she was cut off by James who waved his hand dismissively.

–- can be done tomorrow. Come on, Rose, I know there’s some Weasley in you somewhere. I hear you hit Albus just so you could disarm Scorpius Malfoy. That’s the Rose that needs to come out more often!” Before Rose could protest that that was not exactly how the situation unfolded, James was bidding them farewell and joined his waiting friends at the top of the Great Hall.

He turned to the Gryffindor first years surrounding him on the table. –Well, it sounds like I don’t have much choice. You guys don’t have to go if you don’t want to, though...” he trailed off when he was met by loud protests from all his friends. Every single one of his fellow Gryffindor first years indicated that they were intent on coming.

–I have to say I’m a bit surprised you’re not more excited! It’s your party, after all...” Tristan commented, finishing a mouthful of chocolate fondant. Albus was going to object and tell him that he was just afraid of what James had in store for him, but a loud drawling behind him interrupted.

–Party? What party?” Albus recognised the curious burr as that of Morgana Lark and turned in his seat so that one leg was either side of the bench, straddling it. She was flanked by Scorpius Malfoy, the only other first year Slytherin who would lower himself to be in their company - and that was only to jeer and mock. Albus was again prevented from speaking by another’s reply.

–It’s Albus’ birthday, we’re having a party for him in Gryffindor common room.” Morgana’s pale eyes drifted to meet Albus’ bright green ones. He noticed that hers betrayed no emotion, although her face curved into a look of mild curiosity. She did not acknowledge the fact it was his birthday, not even gracing him with a smile. Albus did not expect one but he still found himself feeling a tad disappointed.

–You really should get a more reliable owl,” she commented, seemingly randomly. Tristan and Albus looked at each other bewilderedly and Albus vaguely noticed Malfoy smirking. Clearly he understood what on Earth she was on about.

–Come again?” Tristan asked, shovelling a piece of fondant in his mouth and elegantly preventing the oozing centre from dripping down his chin (a feat that Frank could not manage with quite so much grace).

–Well it’s clearly not doing its job properly if it managed to lose my invite,” she said this in such a serious tone that Albus honestly didn’t know whether she was joking or not. By Tristan’s chortle and shake of the head, he assumed that she was in fact teasing. However, her light jest however gave Albus some much needed inspiration. The words that came out of his mouth next surprised everybody, including himself.

–It was a bit of a last minute thing really - my brother’s idea. Come along if you want, though - the more the merrier!” Albus’ tone was overly hearty and he hoped that she did not think anything was amiss. But of course, something was. It was not common practice for Gryffindors to invite Slytherins to their parties, on their own territory no less. Her eyes widened, displaying rarely seen emotion. Even Malfoy looked slightly disturbed, only his eyes merely narrowed suspiciously.

–You want me to come to your birthday party?” she asked slowly. Albus nodded with certainty. He could feel the eyes of his peers boring into him. Many had stopped eating in their horror - Xander’s fork was dangling in front of his slightly open mouth in an uncharacteristically ungainly manner and Elena, Una and Polly interrupted their gossip session to stare raptly at the pair. –Why?” she finally said, curtly.

–Because you’re such delightful company,” Albus’ voice was laced with sarcasm, –plus you obviously want to go.” He was hoping that this tactic would work on her and he was not disappointed when he saw the slight sneer grace her dainty features and a blush inch up her neck and lay itself gently upon her alabaster cheeks.

–Want to? Don’t be so absurd! As if I’d want to spend my free time with the likes of you and celebrate another year of your pathetic life.” Her tone was slightly cold but he got the sense that she didn’t exactly mean it. Albus knew that he should have been offended by the comments but he had grown up to expect nothing more from a Slytherin. Others were not so forgiving and Effie and Rose scowled at her menacingly. Morgana was not fazed and neither was Tristan who merely rolled his eyes at his cousin.

–Fine, suit yourself then. Don’t come,” Albus said simply. He looked away and paused for a moment. He didn’t know if his tactic was going to work but it was worth a try at least. Then the sentence he had been waiting for came.

–I never said I wouldn’t. I just said I didn’t want to. But since you’re so eager for my presence...” she trailed off momentarily as Albus looked back at her. Her eyes glinted. For someone of her age, Albus felt Morgana was quite intimidating. –It is your birthday after all.” Albus knew that was the closest she was going to get to saying ‘Happy Birthday’, but he didn’t care. She had done what he wanted her to do.

–Besides,” she continued, –it would be interesting to see how the lesser half live.” This time Albus rolled his eyes as well as Tristan. The thing about people like Morgana, and, to a certain extent, Malfoy, was that you couldn’t take them too seriously. Yes, they could say mean and hurtful things, but half the time it’s just affected arrogance or prejudice because they thought that’s how they are expected to behave. The other half the time it came from a more malicious place but should be spared no more thought. Rose had not learnt this yet, resulting in her glowering furiously at the ebony-locked girl. Effie, a girl who shared Morgana’s looks but nothing else, also grimaced at her Slytherin counterpart.

Tristan placed a forceful hand in the middle of her back, sensing the shift in mood from the Gryffindor girls. –Good one, Morgana. We’re meeting in Gryffindor’s common room in about an hour. I’ll wait outside for you as we’re not allowed to give out the password.” She nodded impatiently, clearly not really caring. –Off you go now, make yourself look passable for the party, if at all possible.”
Morgana stuck her tongue out at his quip but did not start walking away. –Can I bring a friend?” She directed her question at Tristan, even though it wasn’t his party. Albus answered instead after Tristan gave him a prompting look.

–Yeah, sure,” he said, throwing her a brief smile. She didn’t return it as such. She gave a curt nod and a smirk teased her lips before she turned around, Malfoy in tow. Albus pondered the fact that Scorpius had been abnormally quiet throughout. He came to a conclusion that it was probably a good thing, especially upon hearing Rose’s next words.

–Al! What the bloody hell did you do that for?” This was shocking on two counts: Rose’s angry tone and the fact that she had cursed - a rarity for her. Albus shrugged and mumbled something about being polite. She narrowed her eyes but did not comment on that part. –If her ‘friend’ turns out to be Scorpius Malfoy, I don’t care, birthday or not, Albus Severus Potter, I will KILL you!” Albus knew she wasn’t being serious (well, he was pretty sure at least) but her tone frightened him nonetheless. This was mostly because he was almost entirely sure that her friend was going to be Scorpius Malfoy as he was the only other Slytherin who would talk to them (with the exception of Morgana’s brothers and the occasional monosyllables or single sentences from Bartlett and Zabini).

The rest of the meal continued in easy conversation. Effie and Rose thawed not long after Morgana’s departure and instead immersed themselves in a conversation with Cliona about the difficulty of their Transfiguration homework. On top of their essay on the importance of keeping Proteus’ second law of Transfiguration they had to practice the ‘Muto Papilio’ incantation to transfigure their Holly Blue butterflies into ornate hairclips. It was their first attempt at animate to inanimate transfiguration and they were filled with trepidation. Thankfully Swinburne had given them some time to practice. Nevertheless that did not stop Rose from worrying about it.

Their hour was consumed all too quickly by their chatter and before Albus knew it he was being urged by Theron and Frank to hurry up. He gulped down the remainder of his pumpkin juice and wiped his mouth surreptitiously on his sleeve. Rose caught this and frowned at his uncouthness. He chose to ignore her. They all rose from their seats and began the annoyingly long journey back to Gryffindor’s common room, which was up more flights of stairs than he cared for. They arrived at the portrait hole and intoned the password to the Fat Lady. She did not wish Albus a Happy Birthday but did warn them that she would leave her post for the night if they did not ‘keep that racket down.’

Albus didn’t precisely know what she was referring to until the door swung open and the hum of dozens of voices mixed with the sound of The Grindylows’ new record ‘Sting Like a Skrewt’ came blaring out through the room. He had only just become visible to everyone else in the room when James came bounding up to Albus and his large group of friends.

–Surprise, little brother!” Albus rolled his eyes and took a brief moment to gaze around. There were birthday banners on every wall and a hanging of an animated, roaring Gryffindor lion took pride of place on the wall opposite the fire-place. Confetti fell from the ceiling from an unknown source and dissolved almost as soon as it hit the ground. There was the usual supply of food and drink, slipped in from Honeyduke’s and The Three Broomsticks large supply via one of the secret passageways. Only a second passed before he answered his brother.

–’Surprise?’ You told me where, when and exactly how this was going to be happening, what have I got to be surprised about?” Albus questioned sardonically. James’ lips curved into a wicked grin making Albus’ stomach drop. He hoped that his brother wasn’t planning one of the many unpleasant things Albus had racing through his head at that moment. His hope was in vain, though, and James turned to the rest of the party.

–He’s here!” he announced to no one in particular. Having previously been focused on their conversations, the crowd turned to the subject of the announcement and gave him their sole, undivided attention. He wished that they wouldn’t. He felt the eyes of friends and family alike all staring back at him, beaming. He couldn’t return it for, with a gesture from James, Albus could see clearly what was about to unfold.

Alphie, Conall, Louis and Persephone emerged from the back of the crowd surrounding what, at first glance, looked like a blazing lion. However, on closer inspection Albus saw the candles hovering slightly above the lion-shaped mould, acting as a sort of mane. The lion itself was an ornate mixture of butter cream, icing and Madeira cake underneath. It was sculpted with such detail and accuracy that Albus was struck momentarily speechless. The closer it came the more he could appreciate it. The tiniest aspects were attended to, down to its whiskers made of spun sugar. It was marvellous to behold and as Albus’ stomach rumbled in anticipation, he scolded himself - it seemed a shame to cut into something so beautiful. Thankfully, he could barely hear the embarrassing chorus of ‘Happy Birthday’ which accompanied the revealing of the cake - he was too enraptured.

Alphie and Persephone were in the forefront and they stopped in front of Albus, beaming. They held out their arms, gesturing to the cake. Albus could do nothing but stare at them blankly and make a sort of gormless spluttering sound. He noticed too that the refrain of ‘Happy Birthday’ had ceased. Everyone was staring at him expectantly and, for a moment, he couldn’t for the life of him remember why. Alphie laughed and rolled his eyes while Persephone smiled kindly. She was about to open her mouth to speak when a voice drifted from the recently opened portrait hole.

–This is that part where you’re supposed to blow the candles out, idiot.” Albus didn’t have to turn around to know who the voice belonged to, but he did anyway. She stood a few feet away from him just behind Tristan who had clearly just allowed her through the portrait-hole. She and Tristan blocked her companion from view, but Albus had a pretty good idea who that was as well. Morgana was dressed simply in black jeans, a cream camisole, a tailored blazer and fashionable black ankle boots. Her hair hung in thick ebony waves half way down her back with two thin plaits either side, drawn together at the back, dragging the hair off her pale face. The overall look was relatively hard, but not unpleasant, much like her.

He must have been looking at her for a while as when James shook him out of his reverie, he looked a mixture of annoyed and amused. –Oi! One sweet thing at a time, please,” James said teasingly. Albus grimaced before turning his full attention onto the cake. He inhaled deeply, filling his lungs in preparation for extinguishing the flames.

–Make a wish,” Persephone reminded him lightly with a smile. As he closed his eyes he heard the sound of two people scoffing at her remarks coming from behind him. He put them from his mind as he exhaled heavily in order to blow out the dozen candles all in one go. He had one wish in mind and he was hoping it would come true tonight. He opened his eyes and looked upon the cake in triumph. Every single candle had gone out. Everyone cheered and Albus felt himself blush slightly, though he allowed a small smile. He was clapped on the back by his friends behind him and after James’ friends set the cake down on the table beside them, Persephone wrapped her arms around him in an embrace which he returned.

–Happy birthday, Al,” Alphie said from behind Persephone. Once she released him, Alphie clasped his hand in a handshake, his eyes twinkling with merriment. –Hope you enjoyed the cake, we slaved over it for days!” His expression and tone were so dramatic that Albus almost believe him. Well, he would have if James and all his friends hadn’t burst out laughing almost instantaneously.

–Where did you get it from, then?” he inquired curiously and helplessly impressed. James tapped the side of his nose in a ‘that’s for me to know...’ sort of way. Persephone flicked her eyes skywards and excused herself as a stocky fourth year boy beckoned her over with extra pumpkin juice in his hand. Albus guessed she had been talking to him before the cake interlude. He noticed that both James and Alphie watched her go with identical creases in their brow. However, the latter was alert enough to answer the question, albeit cryptically.

–Well, you can get almost anything around here if you know which pear to tickle,” Alphie said with a smirk. Albus and his friends who were still listening to the conversation merely stared at the older boy in perplexity. Albus was fairly sure he was talking nonsense, but as James, Louis and Conall chuckled, he guessed that it must be some private joke he wasn’t getting.

A voice came from beside him which made him start. –That better not be as wrong as you just made it sound.” The voice was not disapproving or amused - it was bored if anything. Again, Albus knew the source without looking. The scent of a musky perfume filled his nostrils. It did not asphyxiate him as perfumes often did; it had more spice to it - an addition he enjoyed. James eyed Morgana appraisingly and eventually his lips formed a grin as he turned to Albus.

–I like her,” he flicked his eyes to Morgana who met his eyes with a glare, –she’s sassy.” She sneered at him and crossed her arms over her chest haughtily.

–’She’ has a name, if you care,” Morgana drawled waspishly. James inclined his head, indicating that he wasn’t too bothered. She ignored him and introduced herself regardless. –Morgana Lark, your pleasure.” She did not hold out her hand as people usually did with introductions but stalked away towards the table which bore the pumpkin juice and Butterbeer. James, his friends and Albus watched her leave with matching surprised expressions. James was the first to look back, though his eyebrows still remained high up towards his hairline.

–Well, she’s lovely,” he said sarcastically and reached for a slice of cake which was magically dividing itself according to the number of people it needed to serve. James bit a section off his piece clumsily and crumbs of Madeira cake fell to the ground. Some butter cream found its way onto his nose and Rose wiped it off amidst a flurry of complaints. After Rose retreated he turned back to Albus, offering him a large slice from the lion’s hind legs which he received gladly.

–Who is she anyway, Miss Lark? I would have noticed if she were in Gryffindor. Ravenclaw, probably; she seems too sharp to be a Hufflepuff.” Albus allowed him to speculate, though wished he wouldn’t. He almost laughed out-loud as he listened to his brother’s theorising which was so far off the mark. The fact he did not even consider her true home made Albus nervous of his reaction.

–You’re right. She’s not a Hufflepuff...” Albus began tactfully and slowly. He was trying to figure out the best way to inform his brother that he had invited the enemy into their midst when Rose deprived him of the burden with a savagely growled sentence.

–She’s a Slytherin!” Rose exclaimed violently. –Albus,” she shot her cousin a scathing look before she continued, –invited her and even suggested she could bring a friend! You’ll never guess who she decided to bring along...” Her eyes flicked towards the drinks table where Morgana had walked a couple of minutes ago. There were two figures there now, largely unnoticed by those around them, although the male of the two got thrown confused looks every so often. As James’ horrified eyes connected with the sight, his head whipped back to his younger brother. Incredulity was etched into his face as he barely took in what he saw. Alphie, Louis and Conall wore the same expressions, although the latter’s also showed concern.

Albus looked his brother back in the eyes sheepishly. –You said I could invite people from other houses...” he reminded James gently. James did not look impressed by his excuse and gave him an almost wary look, like he may have defected over to the ‘dark side.’

–Yeah, Albus, but by that I meant Ravenclaw - Hufflepuff at a push! Are any of them here?” Albus looked around. He had invited Cassia Lowe and Diana Thomas from Hufflepuff and Rufus Cummings and Feronia Fell from Ravenclaw. They were not particularly close but certainly the ones Albus talked to the most in classes from the other houses. They had, annoyingly, yet to arrive, only further driving home James’ point.

–I’m sure they’ll be along soon,” Albus said coolly, although he was not quite able to keep the uncertainty out of his voice. James rolled his eyes and exchanged a disbelieving look with Alphie.

–I’m all for equality, Al - but Malfoy! If mum and dad could see him here now...and that girl! She just reeks of trouble.” He cast a dark look in Morgana’s direction as he spoke. She caught James’ expression and smirked to herself, inclining her head and staring defiantly back at him over a glass of pumpkin juice.
James fixed his eyes on his brother once more with a hand stretched out towards Morgana. –See!” he said triumphantly as if she had proved his point for him. Tristan scoffed, looking slightly annoyed.

–You said you liked her a minute ago!” Tristan pointed out with his eyebrows raised. Tristan didn’t mind people’s comments about his cousin to a certain point, as he believed them largely to be fair, but she was still his family (probably the closest family member he had) and he did get quite defensive of her at times.

James shrugged uneasily and waved a dismissive hand. –That’s before I knew...anyway, that’s not the point. Malfoy! Albus Severus Potter, what were you thinking?” he asked seriously. His tone was not angry but he did genuinely seem puzzled as to what was going on and perhaps thought Albus quite mad. His response was interrupted by the re-emergence of Persephone who approached James swiftly.

–Persie! You’ll never guess who Albus invited-” Alphie began to complain, but it seemed that she already knew as she nodded wearily.

–Scorpius Malfoy, yes, yes, I have eyes, you know.” She placed herself between James and Alphie and put her hands gently on the smalls of their backs. She smiled kindly at Albus and her eyes communicated to him silently that she was going to try and help.

James gave her a mocking look. –I thought those eyes were too pre-occupied with Cavan Bellamy to notice anything else.” Albus guessed this was the stocky fourth year she had been speaking to earlier. His suspicions were confirmed as a blush lightly graced her alabaster cheeks. A slight crease formed in her brow for a moment but she smoothed it out and laughed airily.

–Very droll James. Now, I think you’ve taken up enough of Albus’ time. Stop berating him about his choice of guests. It’s the boy’s birthday, James, let him have his fun!” She began to apply pressure to their backs, forcing them to stumble in her desired direction momentarily. James stopped short, though and looked thoroughly annoyed.

–But, Persephone! It’s Scorpius Malfoy - that’s just not right!” Persephone nodded unenthusiastically and applied further pressure to their backs, easing them forwards. Conall and Louis began to follow; the former seemed to share Persephone’s opinion so did not seem fazed.

–I’m aware of who it is, James, now hush! Leave him be!” She gave him one last shove, pushing him towards the biggest sofa which was occupied by soon to be moved second years. James looked at Albus with narrowed eyes and pointed at him warningly.

–I’ll catch up with you later, little brother.” Albus nodded, not really caring. He was hoping he could avoid talking to James about it for as long as possible. Right now his primary concern was finding a way to talk to Morgana.

Albus gazed around, assessing the situation about him. He needed to find a way to get Malfoy away from Morgana without attracting attention. Tristan was engaged in conversation with Diana, Cassia and Polly. Albus had not noticed them arrive but it must have been only a short moment ago. Xander, Theron and Frank were trying to sneak a Butterbeer under the invariably close watch of Dominique and Gawain (they were occasionally too distracted by each other to notice anything). Effie, Elena and Cliona were watching Una and Tobias’ attempt at dancing to ‘Witch Way Now?’ by The Hinky Punks – it was an old song, but a good one. His eyes eventually settled on his cousin Rose. She had just finished a discussion with Victoire and Molly, no doubt about something academic, and she too was scrutinizing the crowd to see which conversation she wished to join. He saw her eyes lock onto Roxanne and her friend Ariel and before she could take even one step in their direction, Albus headed towards her with purpose.

She started slightly when she saw him in front of her but once she had recovered from a shock, she settled into a frown. –I’m still not completely sure I want to speak to you.” Albus smiled at her warmly and put an arm around her whilst subtly guiding her to his desired destination. A few feet away, sitting on one of the plush settees, were Morgana and Malfoy. He vaguely noticed that they were beginning to look rather bored of the whole affair. This only made the need to act even more imperative.

–Come on, Rosie,” he started in his best persuasive voice, all the while leading her to the adjacent divan, –it’s my birthday! You can’t be angry with me on my birthday!” he said hopefully. Once they were almost right next to the two Slytherins, Albus stopped and stood in front of his cousin, hiding Morgana and Malfoy from view.

Rose cocked an eyebrow and crossed her arms over her chest. –I’ll think you’ll find I am.” Albus gave her a pleading look but she did not soften. It was what he expected - what he wanted, in fact. –I mean, for Circe’s sake, Albus! Morgana’s bad enough with her stuck-up attitude, but Malfoy - now he’s something else!” She said all of this rather quickly but clearly enough for the Slytherin pair to hear and likewise, for their response to be heard.

–I’m going to choose to take that as a compliment,” Malfoy drawled from behind Albus. When Albus stepped aside, revealing the boy behind him, Rose’s eyes glinted with anger then turned stony to match her hard-set face. Her cheeks were brushed with a pink hue. She scowled at his words in an attempt at recovery.

–It wasn’t,” she said bitingly. Scorpius merely smirked while Morgana rolled her eyes, still looking distinctly unimpressed. There was an awkward silence in which Rose stared at Malfoy and he stared back, Albus stared at Morgana who in turn stared at her own finger-nails as she inspected them for dirt. After what seemed like an eternity and what Albus guessed was just a battle of wills between Rose and Scorpius, Albus heard the former exhale sharply.

–I’m going to get a drink,” she announced abruptly. Without a word of ‘goodbye’ or a smile to anyone, including Albus, she spun on her heel and left. Scorpius watched her in her flight, the ghost of an idea floating behind his eyes. Albus saw the glimmer focus and become corporeal as he downed the remainder of his drink (which was previously half full).

–I think I might go get a Butterbeer. If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be back in a minute...” He said all of this without a single glance in their direction. His eyes were focused wickedly on Rose who had just made her way over to the drinks table. Albus knew his cousin would not thank him for this, but he felt it necessary for his desired end. He was amazed it had worked at all what with it being his birthday and all his friends and family being there. The positive side was that being in a Slytherin’s company did act as a deterrent somewhat for unwanted attention.

Morgana looked neither disturbed nor surprised to be alone in his company. When she surveyed him with pale blue eyes it was almost as if she expected it. He gazed at her for a moment as the smirk on her lips twisted her entire face into an almost bitter expression. Her eyes, which had the potential to be worthy of sonnet dedications, were glass and ice rather than clear blue sky and free trickling water. They were impenetrable and unreadable. Even when her face moved, they did not move with her. They were constant, as if they were just the protective wall preventing anyone from seeing what lies beneath.

She sneered sardonically and patted the seat next to her, indicating he should take it. He raised an eyebrow and shrugged, but took it anyway as he had always planned to. She did not speak for a moment, merely taking a sip of her barely touched drink. Her gaze turned to him with critical eyes.

–What did you want to talk to me about?” she asked shortly and without preamble. Albus was rather taken-aback by her brusqueness, so said nothing. His lips were slightly parted due to shock causing Morgana to exhale wearily and flick her eyes upwards.

–It doesn’t take a genius to figure it out. I’m not so naive that I would think that you would want me here out of friendship,” she sneered at this as if the idea was ridiculous, –we’re not friends.” Albus wanted to try to object to that, but he had no idea what he would say in response. His silence seemed to confirm her suspicions as she powered on.

–Between the invite itself and the fact you conveniently separated Scorpius and me with the chance of winding up your cousin - Scorpius’ new favourite sport - I’m afraid your plan was all rather obvious,” she said all of this rather fast and in a manner which overwhelmed Albus somewhat. His imaginings that he had been rather underhanded were dashed in that instant. She looked at him with a mixture of boredom and slight expectancy.

–Well?” she asked, prompting him into speech. Albus was all too aware he had said nothing throughout this disastrous conversation and resolved to now.

–Last month,” he began croakily. He cleared is voice nervously. –Last month, at the Quidditch game between Gryffindor and Slytherin...” He trailed off pathetically, not really knowing how best to phrase the approaching question.

–The one where your brother was knocked off his broom by a bird? Yes, I remember.” Morgana’s voice came without sympathy or concern, just as if she was stating a fact. If she was puzzled about where this conversation was going, her face certainly did not betray her confusion.

Albus nodded in confirmation. –Yeah, that’s right. Well, before the match, you said something that made me think...” Albus paused as he noticed Morgana’s change in expression. It turned from bemused to enlightened to hurt and finally settled on cold anger. This all happened in the space of a couple of seconds, but Albus caught every one of them. Her mouth set in a hard scowl but she said nothing, allowing him to continue.

–You said something that made you sound so certain of Slytherin’s victory. It made me wonder...were you just trying to wind us up or had you heard anything, anything at all, about possible plans to harm my brother or to stop Gryffindor from winning?” The previously hesitant question now came flowing out in his vain hope that if he asked it quickly enough she would be less angry and the conversation would be less awkward. This was most definitely not the case. He watched as her eyes flared up in barely restrained fury. Her white cheeks were flushed crimson. Albus prepared himself for the onslaught that he was about to face.

When her voice came out it was fairly stiff and sarcastic; however, it was not raised as he expected and she was relatively calm. –Gryffindors! You think you’re so above us all. You think Slytherins are all awful because we care about the purity of blood. But you’re not so different! You judge without knowing and without any proof,” she said pointedly. Albus found himself reddening but attempted not to break his resolve.

–I was just wondering whether you knew anything. I wasn’t accusing anyone...” he trailed off feebly and Morgana’s eyes bored into his without relent.

–That’s funny, because that’s exactly what it sounded like,” she drawled sarcastically. They gazed at each other intensely for a moment, neither wanting to look away for fear of showing weakness. Finally Morgana narrowed her eyes and spoke tersely.

–I don’t know anything. I was trying to wind you and your stupid friends up, alright?” Albus nodded in response. He noticed her gaze wander to something over Albus’ left shoulder. Albus followed it and was met with the sight of Tristan dancing jokingly with Effie. He looked back to Morgana questioningly but was met with no reply. She stood up abruptly but did not walk away.

–I suggest you look a little bit closer to home next time you want some questions answered, Potter.” Albus frowned, wishing she would elaborate but knowing that she wouldn’t. Her face was hard-set, unflinching and unforgiving. He was going to get nothing more from her now. They continued to stare at each other in a tense battle of wills. It was a battle that neither of them were destined to win, however, as a shout erupted from the other side of the common room, causing Albus to jump up.

–Just piss off, you little GIT!” Albus forgot all thoughts of his previous conversation and the fight he was currently embroiled in and looked to the source of the shout. It did not take too long to see who it was. Everyone else’s eyes were on the pair as well. Although the song ‘Head Over Heels’ by Fire and Ice was blaring in the background, there was no other sound except vague noises and the mocking response from the platinum-haired boy.

–Make me!” he mocked, dangerously. Albus could see the girl had reached the end of her tether. She drew out her wand swiftly and with a furious look in her eyes cried out:

–PETRIFICUS TOT-” Her bellow was interrupted by the simultaneous, almost lazy drone of ‘Expelliarmus’ from closer to Albus. His head whipped round to the girl next to him, as did many of the other people in the room. She held her wand aloft and was staring intently at the pair across the room with a steely expression. Everyone was silent for what felt like a couple of minutes. When she seemed satisfied that she was not going to receive any retaliation, she turned to the blond-haired boy.

–I think this may be a good time to go, Scorpius.” Her tone was calm but so certain that Scorpius could not possibly object. He nodded curtly and threw a smirk at a wand-less, wild-eyed Rose who contorted her face into a scowl as their eyes connected.

Morgana turned her attention Albus one last time. –Thank you for inviting us. You have proved well how very beneath us you really are,” she spat the last part with venom and left him with a mocking smile before turning on her heel without a backward glance.

She did not wait to see if Malfoy was following her, although he did so wisely with a provocative ‘yeah, jog on, Malfoy’ from James. Everyone stood or sat in silence until the portrait swung closed. As soon as it had done so they erupted in a mixture of laughter and outraged gossip. Rose’s eyes found Albus’ and the fury stirred up by Malfoy’s presence had not been abated. With one last glare, she stalked up towards the girls’ dormitories without another word to anybody. Effie spotted this, cast a small smile towards Albus and followed her, evidently trying to persuade to come back down. She wouldn’t; Albus knew his cousin’s stubbornness well.

Albus slumped back into his seat and sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. That could not have possibly gone worse. It had only been about an hour of his party and it had been an hour too long. He surveyed the rest of the room. People were throwing him strange glances – evidently wondering what he was thinking inviting such unpleasant people to his party. Even James merely fixed him with a disapproving look before shaking his head and turning back to Alphie and Louis. At that point an old Muggle song that Albus vaguely recognised came onto the wireless which went ‘It’s my party and I’ll cry if I want to.’ Albus laughed lightly to himself. Never had song lyrics been more appropriate.
Chapter Endnotes:

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed - please tell me what you think!