Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Midnight Thief by Alice Mac

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The last week of term passed mercifully quickly for Albus and it was not long before they were bidding goodbye to their school friends and saying hello to their families. Albus had returned to his familial home in Godric’s Hollow. He was slightly saddened to say goodbye to his new friends. Frank and Neville were returning to their home above The Leaky Cauldron for a short time before going up to Lancashire to visit Hannah’s father over Christmas.

Tristan had gone to join the Lark family on Platform nine and three-quarters. Albus observed them keenly. The mother had cropped ebony hair and a sort of pinched, sour look permanently etched on her face. Before the arrival of her children, Albus saw her trying to catch the attention of Scorpius’ father, but he seemed determined to ignore her. She gave up when the young Larks appeared and the Malfoy family began talking to the Zabinis. Mrs Lark embraced her three children, fussing particularly over the eldest, the Head Boy, Mathias. She ignored Tristan almost entirely with the exception of a curt nod and a scowl in his direction. Her husband was different, however: he had a strong jaw and handsome features with intelligent eyes. His hair was as black as his wife’s but his smile was far brighter. He clapped his sons on the shoulders and held his little girl tightly. He turned to Tristan and his expression did not differ from the look he had given his own children. He beamed at him and held him a brief embrace, before clasping Morgana’s hand and taking off.

Theron’s rather mystified parents had picked him up from King’s Cross Station. They smiled politely at Xander when he came bounding up to them with Theron. A short way away from them was Xander’s rather young-looking aunt and baby cousin. His aunt greeted him with a kiss on the cheek which he hastily wiped off. His baby cousin, Olwen, gave him a slobbery kiss on the forehead and several pats on the top of his head. Effie said that she would be spending the holidays with her grandmother as her mother was working on a new ‘series’ abroad. Albus wasn’t sure what she meant but he nodded and smiled at her anyway. She didn’t seem to mind, she said her grandma was a far better cook than her mother anyway. Albus would miss her over the holidays - he would miss all of them.

However, he did not have to worry about his best friend, Rose. Since the end of term they saw each other nearly every day. Her house in Boreas Gardens was easily within walking distance. Their parents were still working so they would often stay together at The Burrow with their grandparents or with Teddy at Albus’ house during the day. In these cases they were often joined by Victoire. Now that their relationship was out in the open, they were near to inseparable. Lily’s wish that Teddy properly became part of the family appeared to be becoming more likely. Bill, who had been latterly rather close to Teddy’s father, approved of their relationship. Fleur felt likewise: Teddy had been Head Boy the previous year and he was interested in working in education. He was a trainee in the new Department of Education at the Ministry and, according the department head, Ernie Macmillan, was one of their brightest young talents. As well as academia he had inherited his parents’ kindness and sense of humour. He was as an older brother to Albus and a far more considerate one than James.

After a week and a half of being back at home, Harry took a day off work. He said that he was only to be contacted in case of an emergency, as they were dealing with an emergency of their very own. It was a week until Christmas and Harry had not even made a dent in his Christmas shopping for his wife and wider family. Albus, James and Rose, were in need of school supplies and a couple of presents they had yet to get for their friends, so decided to join Harry on his trip to Diagon Alley. Hermione and Ginny were both thoroughly prepared for Christmas, so both were working in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and the Daily Prophet, respectively. As it was Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes busiest time of year, Ron could not take a day off - George was very clear on that matter. Lily and Hugo were staying at The Burrow with Fred and Roxanne as they had not seen them for a while and their parents too were working.

They entered Diagon Alley through The Leaky Cauldron entrance. As the Longbottoms were away for the holiday period, it was being watched by the chief barmaid Felicity Fairfax and her husband over Christmas. Albus wished he could have seen Frank, but his family had already made plans to have them all round the day after they returned from Lancashire, so he knew he didn’t have to wait long. They had to start with some withdrawals from Gringotts. Due to Hermione’s work fighting for equal rights for all magical creatures, the Goblins were far more hospitable to them than to their other customers. Arianrhod led them to their vaults with easy conversation and once they filled their purses with a handful of Galleons, Sickles and a few bronze Knuts, they arrived at their first stop: Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes.

This was more a social call than anything, although Albus, James and Rose found many suitable presents for their friends as well. Rose bought a pygmy puff for Effie and a Spell-Check Quill for Frank. Albus had already bought their presents, but found some good cheat Wizard’s Chess sets for Xander and Tristan. James was generally stocking up on merchandise for his own version of ‘school supplies’ as well as purchasing Alphie and Louis’ presents (a New Year’s Eve Explosion set of fireworks each).

Albus approached the till where his father was chatting to Ron and George who were taking a break as their busy assistant, Monty, served their many customers. Harry widened his eyes at the pile of merchandise in his eldest son’s arms. –James Sirius Potter, what on earth do you think you’re doing with all that?” Harry exclaimed reproachfully as his son peeped over his pile at him.

–I can’t go back to Hogwarts empty-handed! And some of it’s presents...” James replied sheepishly as he allowed the various items to tumble onto the counter. George nodded at his nephew with a grin on his face.

–He’s right, Harry. He’s starting to get to the age where Hogwarts becomes intolerably dull. He needs to entertain himself somehow!” George encouraged eagerly, giving James a wink as he did so. Ron snorted and took Rose’s small pile from her arms. Harry rolled his eyes and looked to James.

–If your mother asks, you bought them before I could stop you.” James grinned and opened his wallet, removing a handful of Sickles and several Galleons.

–Cheers, dad,” James directed at an uneasy looking Harry. He turned to George with an innocent smile on his face. –Family discount?” he asked hopefully. George narrowed his eyes for a moment before breaking into a wide grin.

–As always, James,” George beamed as Callidus’ Calculating Chart added up the various items. –You and your friends almost single-handedly fund this place. Well - at least make up for how much my children nick from here.” James stretched out his hand with the precise money indicated on the chart and Ron gave him one of their Limitless Light bags in which to carry his hoard. George turned to Ron as the chart next added up Rose’s items.

–I forgot to tell you, I’m pulling employee discounts. I need to make up for the loss we made on that dodgy batch of Fever Fudge.” George got a far-off look in his eyes and Albus could swear he heard him mutter ‘Flatulence Fudge’ before continuing. –Full price for you!” he added in a singsong voice. Ron frowned at this, but pulled out his wallet all the same.

–Monty gets an employee discount! He bought some Mood-Sensing lanterns the other day for half-price. And Harley and Dromio got all those fireworks for a seventy-five percent off!” Ron said indignantly. A blush crept up his cheeks which clashed with his red hair. George rolled his eyes and held out his palm expectantly.

–That’s because the new Mr and Mrs Quinn have been saving up for their wedding. And I actually like Monty,” George commented pointedly. Ron shot him a withering look and handed over what he thought was the right amount of money. George peered at the pile in his palm and shook his head.

–Read the chart, little brother.” George indicated to the Calculating Chart and it read as a Galleon more than what Ron had given him. Ron screwed up his face in confusion.

–What about family discount?” George smiled grimly and fished a Galleon out of Ron’s still open wallet. He shook his head and cast a furtive look towards Monty who was busy with a rather large group of young witches.

–If I started giving you family discounts then everyone would know I was related to you. For my reputation, I can simply not allow that to happen,” George said solemnly, though Albus could see the corners of his mouth twitching. Ron’s ears went red and he looked slightly irritated.

–I’ve worked here for over ten years!” Ron exclaimed, eyeing the Galleon that George had just taken.

–Longest decade of my life...” George said dryly. Ron turned a slightly darker shade of scarlet before George rolled his eyes and flicked the Galleon dextrously into Ron’s extended palm. –Calm down Ronald, I was only joking. Don’t get your knickers in a twist.” Ron smiled reluctantly and pocketed the extra Galleon.

George turned kindly to Rose. –They’re for my favourite niece, after all.” He noticed Harry shift slightly and he was quick to correct himself. –Joint favourite with the lovely Lily, of course.” Harry gave a satisfied nod of the head. As he made to pay for Albus’ bundle, he jumped slightly, causing them all to be distracted.

George frowned slightly. –What’s wrong, Harry? Did you catch your reflection in the Verre-i-tastic looking-glass again?” he asked with mock concern. Harry emitted a sarcastic laugh at this before pulling out something that looked like a Galleon. Albus watched curiously as he read it - he had watched his father do so a few times before, but it always looked rather odd.

–It’s an address of a break-in...that’s strange. It’s not exactly serious, is it?” Harry’s brow furrowed slightly as he spoke. It smoothed out however and was replaced with a look of incredulity. Harry held up the coin to show Ron. –That address, it’s familiar...isn’t that-”

–- McGonagall’s new place.” Ron nodded in confirmation. They both stared at each other for a moment, before looking at their children.

–Old McGonagall - I hope she’s all right. Knowing her, she wouldn’t send the alert unless it was important,” George theorised as he accepted the gold, silver and bronze coins from Harry. Ron and Harry both nodded their heads at this. Harry cleared his voice and looked to his sons.

–I better get you two to grandma and grandpa’s house, this could take a while,” Harry stated, sounding pre-occupied. James however, shook his head stubbornly.

–No can do, dad. I’m meeting Alphie and Conall in a few minutes, remember?” Harry nodded and turned to Albus. He was about to open his mouth when Rose spoke.

–If James gets to stay, why can’t we? We have to get supplies! I haven’t finished my Christmas shopping!” Both Ron and Harry looked at each other, then at George. For a moment he looked baffled but then comprehension dawned on him and he shook his head vigorously. He narrowed his eyes as he gazed at his brother.

–Oh no, no, no. I have a shop to run! I can’t have you traipsing around Diagon Alley with these two,” he glanced at Rose and Albus. –Though I loathe admitting it, I need you in the shop, Ron. Harley and Dromio are on their honeymoon and Monty and I are not enough for all these customers. You and he just about make one competent sales assistant, so I need both of you, I’m afraid.” Monty stuck his tongue out at George as he had spoken loud enough for him to hear. Monty didn’t correct him however, which indicated to Albus that George probably did in fact need Ron as much as he alleged. Rose gave him an understanding nod while Albus looked to his father.

–We’d be fine by ourselves!” Albus started enthusiastically, but at his father’s frown he tried for something less ambitious. –Or we could go around with James?” Albus suggested hopefully.

–Absolutely not!” exclaimed both Harry and James at the same time. The former barely trusted James with Albus’ care in the house and the latter walked briskly out of the shop with a wave to prevent any further argument occurring.

–But we need to get Potions supplies and there’s an additional book Swinburne recommended and presents!” Albus continued persuasively. Harry looked uncomfortable and as if he had a tenuous hold on his resolve.

–Ron and I don’t feel comfortable about leaving you without the supervision of a responsible adult,” Harry said carefully as Ron nodded fervently in agreement. A voice behind them made them first jump then freeze as the realisation to whom it belonged sunk in.

–Perhaps I could assist you with that?” A silky drawl sounded from not far behind Albus and as he turned round in vague surprise, he took in the man before him. He was quite tall - taller than Albus’ father, but shorter than Ron. He had a pale, slightly pointed face with piercing grey eyes and a shock of blonde hair. He was quite handsome and his son shared his countenance. He wore black robes with an emerald lining and his son wore the reverse. Albus recognised them immediately, as did the rest of his party. Their reactions varied. Harry frowned slightly, but said nothing. George rubbed his eyes as if he hoped that, if he did enough times, the image he saw before him would change. Ron and Rose had matching red ears, both out of anger. Albus merely stared open-mouthed, an expression that seemed to amuse the son.

After a few minutes of stunned silence, Ron’s blush spread up his face and his features contorted into a sneer. –I said ‘responsible adult,’ Malfoy - you hardly qualify.” George laughed at his brother’s insult. Ron continued, boosted by the reaction. –Anyway, why would you want to do us a favour?” Draco Malfoy smirked slightly at Ron’s words but did not seem fazed by the blatant hostility.

–Believe me Weasley, it would give me no pleasure to baby-sit your...offspring,” he drawled with a look towards Rose and Albus. –I overheard where they needed to go and it happens to be the same places as us. I would not have offered otherwise,” he clarified emphatically. Ron looked furious while Harry merely looked a bit sceptical.

Draco added an afterthought which made his eyes glint. –Besides, I’m sure the children are eager to catch up.” Albus noticed Rose and Scorpius look at each other. The former averted her eyes abashedly while the latter smiled to himself conspiringly.

Harry narrowed his eyes appraisingly. –What’s your game?” Draco stared back at him blankly, so Harry expanded. –You wouldn’t be doing this out of the goodness of your heart, so why?” Draco rolled his eyes.

–I’ve already told you, we’re going to the same places.
Plus, if it means your children stop complaining so I can pay for these fireworks, then it’ll be worth it,” Draco explained in an almost bored tone. Harry glanced at his watch given to him twenty years ago by Mrs Weasley and bit his lip. He seemed to be debating something internally. His eyes locked onto Albus’ questioningly. Albus chanced a look at Scorpius Malfoy who raised an eyebrow and gave a small smirk. Albus turned back to his father and gave an imperceptible nod of the head. Albus in turn looked at Rose who looked by far more uncertain. He tried to reassure her silently, but it wasn’t until her eyes landed on Scorpius Malfoy that she gritted her teeth and nodded curtly.

Ron looked from Harry to Albus to his daughter with a flabbergasted expression. –Are you actually all mental?” Ron exclaimed, his eyes bulging madly. He turned to his best friend. –Harry! Have you forgotten who this is?” Harry turned and glared at Ron.

–Of course I haven’t forgotten! But what’s he going to do, Ron? There are several witnesses to the fact that we’re handing our children over to him - it’s hardly the perfect crime,” Harry finished sarcastically. Ron stared at him fixedly for what felt like a rather long time before he exhaled deeply and grasped his daughter’s shoulders, holding her at arms’ length away from him. He surveyed her critically and she gave him a heartening smile and he squeezed her affectionately.
Ron turned to Draco with a scowl. –If you harm one hair on their heads-” he started with a growl. He was cut off, however, by a slightly irritated Draco.

–You’ll unleash unspeakable torments upon me, I know, I know,” he said wearily. Ron sneered at him but said nothing in return. Harry clutched Albus for a moment, telling him to be safe and did the same to Rose before turning to Draco.

–Step one toe down Knockturn Alley with them and I’ll find a way to throw you into Azkaban, Malfoy.” Harry’s voice came out warningly but without the venom that Ron’s held. Draco nodded impatiently, so Harry continued. –I shouldn’t be too long, it’s just a break-in. Meet you in the Leaky Cauldron in one and a half hours?”

–Yes, yes, now get out of here. You’re starting to irritate me even more than usual, which is saying something,” Draco said mockingly. Harry raised an eyebrow, but said nothing as he noticed Ron was about to open his mouth to argue. Harry gave George a meaningful look and disappeared with a ‘pop.’ George picked up on Harry’s implications and turned to his brother before he could sound his complaints.

–Can you go get some more of the Engorging Gloss and the Indecipherable Diaries out from the back? They’ve been bigger hits amongst young witches than I anticipated,” George pointed into the room at the other end of the shop. Ron didn’t follow his gaze but stared at Draco with a hard expression on his face. Draco’s face, by contrast, held a resilient smirk. Albus thought it was almost quite impressive in the face of his glowering uncle.

–Monty can do it,” Ron said shortly. George shook his head in exasperation.

–Monty has customers. You do it - don’t argue!” George added warningly as Ron opened his mouth to object. Albus noticed that there was a hint of a smile on George’s face. Ron looked as if he was having some sort of internal struggle. After a few moments one side lost and his shoulders slumped and he huffed a little. He gave Rose a tight squeeze and mumbled something that Albus couldn’t hear but he saw Rose nod in response. Ron gave Albus a firm pat on the shoulder and a significant look which Albus returned with a reassuring one. Ron then shot Malfoy a final glare and made his way over to the other end of the shop.

There was a moment of awkward silence before the Malfoys approached the till and laid the firecrackers down on the counter. George crossed his arms over his chest and gave him an uncharacteristic glower. Draco did not seem fazed as he spoke. –As much as it pains me to say it, your fireworks are the best around.” It was about as close to a compliment as any of their family would get from a Malfoy, but George did not seem impressed.

–I’m pretty sure I gave you a life-time ban, Malfoy.” Draco rolled his eyes and opened his wallet and slammed twenty galleons on the counter - twice the asking price. George’s eyes widened slightly but this turned to a frown when Draco took the fireworks from the counter. He opened his mouth to object but he was cut off.

–Don’t be an idiot, Weasley, take it,” Draco snapped before turning to Albus and Rose. –Come on, we’re going to Flourish and Blotts first.” Albus nodded while Rose merely gave him a steely look. However, she obeyed and trailed after the Malfoys next to Albus. A voice caused her to turn round once more.

–Oi, Rose,” George called from behind the counter with a grin. He threw something across the room which she caught dextrously in her hands. Albus peered at the item over her shoulder. It was a can that read ‘Anti-Scum Stun Spray’. It claimed to temporarily incapacitate an assailant when aimed at their face and inhaled. Rose looked up at her uncle and beamed, as did Albus.

George winked at them cheekily. –Just in case!” he added craftily. Draco observed the exchange and rolled his eyes but looked slightly amused in spite of it being meant for him. They thanked George genuinely and bade him farewell.

The next ninety minutes passed by with relative ease. They did not talk at all in Flourish and Blotts apart from Draco making a snide comment to Rose when she took too long perusing the Transfiguration section. Rose ignored Scorpius at all costs in that time. Whenever he wasn’t standing next to his father he hung back to talk to Albus. But even those instances were to say something snarky or try and provoke Rose who he knew would be able to hear. They visited Slug & Jiggers Apothecary and renewed their Potions supplies. They had gone through far more than Albus had expected in the past term. A visit to Gambol and Japes and Quality Quidditch Supplies later, they had all finished their required Christmas shopping and renewal of school stock.

Draco led the way back through Diagon Alley to The Leaky Cauldron before the ninety minutes was up. The inn was relatively crowded considering the time of year. They managed to find a table in the far corner and Albus and Rose sat down immediately, laying down their light bags courtesy of George. Draco took out his wand and muttered ‘Scourgify’ at the seats before sitting down. Rose snorted and Albus raised his eyebrows but said nothing. For a moment they say in silence, before Draco spoke up.

–If you want something to eat or drink you can get it yourselves. They’ll serve you if you point me out.” Albus looked to his cousin who nodded slightly. They both got up and walked to the counter. They ordered the same thing: two hot chocolates and turkey and cranberry sandwiches. Felicity smiled at them as they approached and greeted them warmly. They were there often due to their parents’ friendship with Neville, so she recognised them instantly. She frowned slightly when she saw their guardian, but did not comment on it. Albus vaguely noticed that Scorpius came up and ordered something too, but he stood further down the bar - partly due to the looks that Rose kept throwing him.

Once they were all sitting down at the table, silence fell on the group again. Rose pulled out her new Transfiguration book and began inspecting it raptly. Draco watched her wistfully for a moment and sniggered quietly, something which did not go unnoticed by Rose, who placed down her sandwich and fixed him with a piercing stare.

–What?” she asked abruptly and without grace. Draco raised his eyebrows with a slight smirk on his face.

–The resemblance to your mother is uncanny,” Draco said with an amused grin. Rose eyed him appraisingly.

–That’s not a compliment - you hated my mother,” Rose snarled challengingly. Draco frowned slightly and considered that statement for a while.

–I suppose I did give that impression, didn’t I?” he said sarcastically. Rose jutted her chin out and nodded, closing her book with a thud.

–Well it’s true, isn’t it? You hated all of them - my mother most of all. Why else would you have watched whilst your aunt tortured her?” Rose spat through gritted teeth. Draco looked rather taken aback by this. Albus too was shocked. Of course he was already privy to that information, but he was surprised that Rose had gone there. His eyes flicked to Scorpius who was jumping between looking questioningly at his father and glowering at Rose. Albus noticed that it was the first time that Scorpius looked genuinely angry at Rose.

Draco did not respond for a moment. When he did, he spoke very carefully. –How...how do you know about that?” he asked hoarsely. Albus was surprised to see him look shaken. So was Rose apparently as her reply was not quite as strong as her voice had previously been.

–Extendable Ears. My parents sometimes forget to use Imperturbable Charms on the doors and I eaves-drop. It was a few months ago when you and mum were working together on something in the Ministry. My dad mentioned it.” Draco scowled at her final sentence. He picked absently at the slightly worn wooden table and did not look up at them when he spoke again.

–I expect she hates me for that,” he said matter-of-factly. He sounded almost bitter and Rose looked unnerved by it, though she maintained her resolve.

–No...no, she understands, actually. She said that you couldn’t watch and you winced when she screamed.” Draco looked up, surprised. Rose scowled deeper and continued with a snarl. –My father disagrees; he says you’re a coward.” The surprise fell from his face and was replaced with a flash of rage. It ignited in his eyes and burned. Albus wanted to look away but found himself taken in by the flames in those steel grey eyes. Rose looked like she would cower from his glare, but she merely pursed her lips in an attempt at strength. He looked ready to burst out and scream, but his voice came out level and steady. The tone, however, was cold and as steely as his eyes.

–Your father knows nothing,” he paused, breathing heavily, –I was just a boy and I was stupid. If I had done anything, said anything, tried to protect her - we would have both been killed,” he said simply. Rose’s hard exterior began to crumble and she started looking more unsure. He continued, speaking more to himself than to her. –The strength it took to be in that house everyday - you have no idea.” He looked her straight in the eye. –I am many things, but I am no coward,” he finished grimly.

Silence fell for a few long moments. Rose looked down at her hands and Albus stuffed a large bite of sandwich into his mouth in order to occupy it somehow. Eventually Albus heard an almost inaudible murmur from Rose. –I’m sorry...” she said awkwardly. Draco surveyed her with some surprise before nodding shortly.

–Likewise...” He cleared his throat noisily and looked around the pub. –Where on Earth is Potter? He’s-” he checked his watch, –-ten minutes late.” He raised his eyebrows in surprise. –Is that all?” he said to himself quietly, before strumming his fingers on the table. The next few minutes passed in a mixture of silence and a smattering of conversation between Albus and Scorpius about their Potions holiday work. Albus could tell that Rose wanted to join in, but her desire to ignore Scorpius outweighed her interest in the conversation.

Their sandwiches were so large that they had only eaten half of them when the door to The Leaky Cauldron swung open from the London Muggle entrance. All their heads whipped round (as they did every time the door opened) and searched for Harry’s jet black hair and glasses in the crowd. However, it was not Harry that they spied, but another familiar face caught their eyes. A woman with defined cheekbones, large brown eyes and a mane of wavy brunette curls strode into the inn. Her eyes wandered round the tavern and eventually settled upon the mismatched pairs. She attempted to hide a small smirk as she sauntered over in flowing smart navy work robes.

Draco’s face was all astonishment, but he smoothed it over and replaced it with a neutral expression. Hermione halted in front of the table and was immediately jumped upon by Rose who hugged her mother round the waist tightly. She smoothed the top of her head and squeezed in next to her on the bench and opposite Draco.

–Granger, what happened to Potty? He said he’d be back in time,” Draco inquired with a smirk. Hermione looked at him with a slightly reproachful expression.

–He’s held up with McGonagall, it’s taking him slightly longer than they expected,” Hermione replied smoothly. They all looked at her curiously now.
–Is the old bat alright?” Draco asked tonelessly. Hermione eyed him suspiciously before she spoke.

–Careful, Malfoy, that almost sounded like concern,” Hermione commented sarcastically. Draco gave a short bark-like laugh and nodded in acknowledgment.
–Completely unintentional, I can assure you,” he quipped. Hermione didn’t seem to believe him exactly, but continued regardless.

–She was attacked. Someone tried to extract information from her, Imperuised her and tried to wipe her memory. They were interrupted mid-way, though, so she remembers some stuff. Harry and the others just missed the culprit, though. That’s all he told me, anyway,” Hermione explained all the facts as she knew them. Draco raised his eyebrows until they nearly disappeared into his hairline. He gave a low whistle and Hermione nodded in agreement with his untold comment. He was silent for a moment before piping up.

–It seems that the person perhaps knew McGonagall, not well, but at least a little,” he theorised. Hermione gave him a probing look and he continued. –They broke in, showing that they did not know her well enough to be invited in. However, they knew her well enough that she would not give up the information they required under duress or torture. She’s a stubborn old thing.” Hermione nodded with a slightly impressed look on her face.

–You’d make quite the Auror, Malfoy,” Hermione commented, though Albus felt that she might be joking. Draco gave his best Malfoy smirk and snorted.

–I’m sure they’d welcome me into the department with open arms,” he replied sardonically. Hermione allowed herself an airy giggle at this, but looked almost ashamed to do so. Albus knew it was against her very nature to be pleasant to Draco Malfoy. They were interrupted by a young waitress coming over. She wore her hair in a scruffy ponytail and peered at them all through cheery, albeit a touch nervous, cerulean eyes. She picked up the empty cups of hot chocolate, but left the plates of half-eaten sandwiches.

–If Mr and Mrs-” she glanced at the insignia on Draco’s lapel, which she seemed to recognise, –-Malfoy are ready to order, I can take it for you instead to save you the hassle of having to go up to the bar,” the girl offered kindly. Hermione smiled weakly at the girl and did not wish to upset her by correcting her mistake, so said nothing. Evidently Draco felt differently as he reddened lightly on his alabaster cheeks.

–Tell me, these three children,” he gestured to Rose, Albus and Scorpius, –do they look like they’re siblings?” he asked the embarrassed looking waitress. Her eyes flicked from Albus’ black hair and emerald eyes, to Rose’s curly auburn hair and blue eyes and finally landed on Scorpius’ white-blond hair and grey eyes. She shook her head and apologised before scurrying off, appearing rather upset. Hermione gave him a reproving look which he ignored.

–Honestly, ‘Mr and Mrs Malfoy!’” he scoffed incredulously. Hermione arched an eyebrow as he continued. –As if I, Draco Malfoy, would marry a Muggle-born! I’ve never been so insulted in my life...” he said mockingly. Despite the rudeness of his words, they were not spoken seriously, though Albus suspected he did mean them. Hermione’s reaction was likewise quite light. She chortled at Draco, provoking a pair of raised eyebrows.

–’Muggle-born’ now, am I? How very civil of you,” Hermione shot at him pointedly. Draco picked up on her implications and smirked once again. He gave a small shrug as he spoke.

–Well, you have to move with the times...” he said by way of justification. Hermione nodded with mock seriousness. Albus and Rose were watching the exchange with slight wariness. It was indeed more civilised than either of them had thought possible. On reflection, Albus supposed that Hermione was always the most sensible out of the three best friends, therefore her attitude to their former enemy made slightly more sense. In spite of this, Albus was waiting for their temporary truce to go horribly wrong and develop into a hexing competition or a slanging match to which their children were partial. After a moment or two Hermione sighed and opened her purse.

–Well, as our children are taking a staggeringly long time eating their lunch, I think I might grab a drink.” Hermione began to get up, when Rose stopped her.
–I’ll get it, mum. I want a pumpkin juice anyway.” Hermione smiled at her daughter, asking for a Butterbeer and offered her enough money for both. Draco put some money into his son’s palm. Scorpius looked at him with an unimpressed expression.

–I’ll have a double Firewhisky. I have a feeling I’ll be needing it,” Draco drawled with a pointed look in Hermione’s direction. Hermione sneered at him and watched Rose walk towards the crowded bar. Scorpius followed her reluctantly, though he thought he saw a glint of mischief in his eye as he went. Both parents gazed at their children for a moment. The younger pair stood next to each other and their parents could just about make out Scorpius talking at Rose who was determinedly ignoring him. Hermione and Draco turned back to face each other and surveyed one another for a moment. Albus thought that they may have forgotten that he was there. He didn’t mind, he sat in the corner eating his sandwich and watched in fascination.

–It seems our children like each other about as much as we used to,” Draco said derisively. Hermione smiled a bit and nodded in assent.

–Interesting use of the past tense...” she commented sardonically. Draco threw her a withering look as she continued. –Rose says Scorpius teases her a lot,” Hermione informed him lightly. She didn’t seem to mind, which surprised Albus. Draco frowned a little but did not look cross.

–Well she’s attacked him at least twice this term, so I think a little teasing can be forgiven,” Draco commented mockingly. It was Hermione’s turn to frown.

–Attacked him?” Hermione turned to Albus with a searching look. –Is that true?” she asked shrewdly. Albus gave a non-committal shrug. ‘Attack’ was a bit of a strong word as neither of her attempted assaults was successfully carried out. Hermione took that as confirmation and shot a disapproving look in the direction of her daughter. –I’ll have a word with her about that later.” Draco sneered but stayed silent. Hermione paused a moment before speaking up again.

–She says he’s never cruel.” The words seemed to surprise Hermione even as she appeared slightly startled after speaking them. She blushed lightly and powered on. –He’s a wind-up merchant, but not callous.” Draco scrutinised her for a short while and smiled a little.

–That’s his mother in him - he inherited some of her mercy.” He spoke of his wife fondly and glanced over to his son and then back to Hermione. She tucked a stray strand of hair out of her eye.

–I don’t think he got that just from his mother...” Hermione suggested with meaningful eyes. It was Draco’s turn to flush and he looked away. Hermione joined him in this and became suddenly very interested in her fingernails. Albus could practically hear her grasping for a change in topic. A spark in her eye told him that she had landed on one.

–So, you and Parkinson didn’t end up together then?” she asked teasingly and Draco looked confused for a moment before giving her a mocking sneer. Hermione laughed. –How did you extricate yourself from that one?” Hermione asked conversationally as Rose and Scorpius arrived back with the drinks. Rose stomped ahead of Scorpius who wandered behind her with a self-satisfied smirk. They laid the drinks on the table and moved next to their parents. Draco took a gulp of his Firewhisky without flinching - an impressive feat - before he replied.

–I managed to shake her in the final year at Hogwarts. During her last year she met poor Donovan Lark. He was a couple years above us, but their parents worked together,” he explained. With his next words he smiled grimly. –She fell pregnant not too long after she left Hogwarts. He married her out of some sort of misplaced sense of obligation, I think. He’s a good man, Lark. Well, for a Slytherin anyway.” Albus noted the name of this ‘Parkinson’s’ husband. It was Morgana’s father and Tristan’s uncle. He felt that the way Draco described Mr Lark explained much of what Albus had witnessed on the platform. He realised that Rose had noticed too and they shared a brief glance at each other.

–Are you still in contact with each other?” Hermione asked casually, taking a large sip of her Butterbeer. Draco frowned slightly, but not at Albus’ aunt, just at the thought of Parkinson.

–Unfortunately, yes. Only occasionally though, when she pins me down - so to speak,” he added hastily as Hermione let out a chuckle. Draco found himself smiling too, a fact which seemed to disconcert him all of a sudden. He downed the remainder of his drink with a shudder and glanced at Scorpius’ plate which was now mostly crusts. Relief flooded his face and he stood up suddenly. Hermione looked a tad taken aback but did not speak.

–We better get going - Astoria will be wondering what’s happened to us,” he clarified feebly. Hermione nodded, not looking too bothered. Scorpius looked like he was about to argue but then thought better of it, though he did take his time in gathering his things. Draco appeared rather impatient and tapped his foot as his son bent down to pick up the bags.

–Going back to the Manor?” Hermione asked in attempt as casualness. Draco stopped tapping his foot and looked up at her. Their eyes fixed onto each other’s for a moment. Hermione gave him a hard look which Albus didn’t fully understand. Draco broke the silence as he spoke carefully.

–I moved out not long after...well, about nineteen years ago. I couldn’t live there anymore. Not after...” he trailed off softly with a slight tremble. Hermione’s mouth was slightly agape. Whatever she had expected in response, it was not that. He cleared his throat and attempted to plaster a cool expression onto his face.

–We live at Tarasque Hall now,” he added. Hermione did not react but stared at him soundlessly. He shifted uneasily for a moment and visibly relaxed when Scorpius straightened up, ready to leave.

He turned to Hermione once more with his trademark smirk. –Well, this has been...horrible,” Draco concluded mockingly. Hermione did not look offended but rolled her eyes. He cocked his head to the side as if considering something. –Though, I suppose you are the lesser of three evils, marginally.” Hermione raised her eyebrows in faux astonishment.

–Malfoy, that was almost a compliment coming from you,” she commented with a wry smile. Draco scoffed and put his hand on his son’s shoulder.

–You’re right. But don’t go thinking this means I like you,” he added warningly and slightly seriously. Hermione nodded to indicate that she was aware.

–I wouldn’t dream of it,” she spoke dryly. He laughed shortly and was silent for a moment. He looked to Albus and Rose with a neutral expression.

–It was...an experience meeting you,” Draco commented. Albus nodded and thanked him politely while Rose muttered ‘likewise’ as she observed him in the same wary manner that she had been doing so ever since her mother arrived.

–Goodbye, Potter. Goodbye, Rosie.” Scorpius said the last word emphatically and wandered towards the fireplace before Rose could retort. Draco laughed lightly at his son and followed him with his eyes to a point a few feet away from the fire. Draco’s grey eyes eventually found their way back to Hermione’s chocolate ones. He gave her a mocking smile.

–See you around, Granger,” he drawled and began to turn. She stopped him before he could complete the pivot.

–Weasley,” he turned back to her with a cocked eyebrow, –it’s Weasley now,” she corrected. This news appeared to surprise Draco slightly even though he knew that she was married to Ron. Albus supposed that he still thought of her as essentially the same girl he had loathed at Hogwarts.

–So it is,” he responded slowly. He looked at her critically for a moment, taking her in properly for the first time since she had arrived. His eyes found hers again and they burned for a moment before returning to stone. After a second he gave a small shrug of the shoulder and his slightly upturned lips indicated he was smiling a little.

–I’m afraid you’ll always be ‘Granger’ to me.” He gave a small nod of the head, a quick smirk and turned on his heel.

Hermione muttered a quiet ‘be seeing you’ to no one in particular. Her eyes did not leave the blonde pair until they were no longer visible as they had disappeared into the raging emerald flames. Even then, she stared at the spot at which they had last stood. Rose and Albus gave each other a sideways glance. They knew at once that they were thinking exactly the same thing: could Draco Malfoy really be feeling remorse? They had been taught that it was not in the nature of Slytherins and those from Dark Magic families to feel such emotions. Though, Albus thought as he swallowed the last bite of his sandwich, if his first term at Hogwarts had told him anything, it was that people can never cease to surprise you.
Chapter Endnotes:

Thank you for reading! Please let me know what you thought of the latest instalment!