Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Midnight Thief by Alice Mac

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
James had returned to his home in Godric’s Hollow the next morning, blissfully unaware of the wrath awaiting him. Ginny had returned just in time for dinner and, having been informed about her son’s late night wanderings, was a mixture of worried and incensed. The number of discussions she had had with him over the years about wandering off in the middle of the night were too numerous to mention. She, like Harry, picked up on the improbability of him finding Effie purely by chance. When he was pressed as to how this was done, he was unrelenting in his weak story that it was just ‘a feeling.’ Albus was sure that his father would check his desk later on and discover his old Marauder’s Map was missing. He was also equally certain that he would not attempt to take it back.

James had been under house-arrest ever since and would remain so for the rest of the holidays. In spite of this, he still managed to maintain a social life. Two days ago, in the early hours of the morning, Albus had heard the gentle tones of Persephone come from his brother’s bedroom. Albus guessed she had flown over to see how he was as she did not live too far away. Their talking did not cease until it was nearly light and Albus struggled to think what they had to talk about - they saw each other nearly every day. Alphie, Conall and Louis also had managed to drop in whilst Albus’ parents were at work. James threatened to shove his head down the toilet if he told anyone - a possibly empty threat, but a good one.

Finally, the day arrived that many of them had been looking forward to for some time now: Christmas Day. There was a rather large mixture of family and friends gathering together, so they were holding the celebration at Grimmauld Place. Harry had rejected the idea of moving into it as his marital home, but he had kept it on as the headquarters of the still-assembled Order of the Phoenix and an office base for himself and Ginny. There was far more room there to host a party on the scale that they needed. Over the years, the Weasley family had grown somewhat, so in order to accommodate them all, they needed a larger site.

They had stayed there for Christmas Eve where they invited Ron, Hermione and their children round as well as Luna and Rolf with the twins and Persephone and her parents Chloe and Crispin. The Coras, being Muggles, had to be led in by their magical daughter. They were rather used to the world of magic by now, but still found such things as invisible doorways slightly alarming. They had known the Potters for years as they had sent Persephone to the same Muggle primary school which James attended. They had never been particular friends at junior school as Persephone felt James was a little silly and James only really enjoyed hanging out with boys at that age. Once they had arrived at Hogwarts, that had all changed as James had been kind in helping her get used to her newfound powers.

Christmas Day itself brought with it a rather frazzled Ginny as she attempted, with her mother’s help, to prepare the large feast. Even with magic, it was quite a feat. Not least because James released some carolling miniature partridges he had purchased from the joke shop and they were currently chirping away in people’s unwilling faces, but also Ron kept eating the appetisers as they were being prepared. Ginny eventually gave him a snarled command to get out of her kitchen and to set the table. He quailed under her glare and, fearing a Bat-Bogey Hex, did as he was ordered. Harry aided him with a look that said ‘women!’ as Hermione added the finishing touches to the decorations in the hallway.

The whole house was adorned with shimmering fairy lights - or at least, they looked like them. On closer inspection, Albus saw that they were fireflies trapped inside many individual bubbles. Interwoven between them was some gilded Vincula weed which crept prettily up the walls and coiled the lengthy banister. Sprigs of mistletoe were dotted around and a canopy of gold-painted holly hung from the foyer. The large tree stood in the reception room with George’s invention of Flitting Faeries dancing beautifully amongst the branches. Baubles with changing images inside them levitated around the boughs. Some contained Christmas images, others pictures of their family. A trail of what looked like glass beads, but were actually a chain of Unmeltable Ice, was wound around the tree in striking coil pattern. On the top sat a larger faerie that crossed her legs and adopted a surly pout from her perch.

Arthur was sitting with his grandchildren in the reception room as he quizzed James enthusiastically about all Persephone had told him about exactly what a ‘Christmas stocking’ was. They were still awaiting the arrival of Bill, Fleur, Dominique and Louis. Teddy and Victoire had stayed the night in Grimmauld Place and were taking rather longer than was strictly necessary to shower and get dressed. Andromeda Tonks was also invited as Teddy was the only real family she had left. She found it rather difficult to be back in her cousin’s home - especially when she saw the room with the old Black family tree. Although Harry had managed, with a lot of research and a little help from Kreacher, to remove the portrait of Mrs Black, the family tree remained firmly in place.

Charlie was away in Romania, spending Christmas with his latest girlfriend Amelinda Knucker and her parents. Percy and family were, likewise, spending the day with Audrey’s mother - something Albus was rather thankful for. Uncle Percy, Aunt Audrey and Molly were probably his least favourite members of the family, with the exception of the Dursleys. Lucy was slightly better as she allowed herself to be influenced a little by Roxanne. Harry never invited the Dursleys for Christmas lunch, although they did go and visit them every year the day before Christmas Eve in some sort of painful ritual which was not enjoyable for anyone involved. Dudley’s wife, Bryony, a tall and slender woman with a rather severe face, was tolerant of his magical relatives, but could only extend to civility, not warmth. They had twins, Viola and Sebastian, with whom Albus had got on with well enough in his youth, but the latter in particular had become rather aloof over their past couple of visits.

George, Angelina, Fred and Roxanne arrived first out of the guests and brought with them stacks of presents which Albus was very eager to open later on. Fred showed them all the Christmas fireworks he was planning to set off later - although he said this, wisely, out of Ginny’s earshot. Hermione’s parents had to be ushered in also upon their arrival at Grimmauld Place by Bill, Fleur, Dominique and Louis who turned up at the same time as them. The Grangers were thoroughly unfazed by the invisible entrance and the bizarre decorations. They had known of their daughter’s magical world for over twenty-five years and became even deeper immersed into it when she had married a pure-blood and given them two magical grandchildren. Albus had to admire how they took everything in their stride.

With the majority of the guests present, they started serving the appetisers - or rather, they served themselves. The platters of aperitifs drifted around the room, offering themselves to each person in turn and returning to the kitchen when they needed refilling. With Ron, James and Hugo about, that was a common occurrence. Andromeda Tonks was the last to arrive. She had paid her sister, Narcissa Malfoy, a brief visit that morning. Since the end of the Second Wizarding War, they had made their peace, though the sisterly bond between them had long-since dissolved. The enmity was not quite as strong, however, since the demise of their sister Bellatrix. She was the main cause of the ill-feeling between the sisters.

They were all chatting together in the sizeable living area. George and Angelina were in deep discussion with Harry and Ron about Angelina’s coaching of the Holyhead Harpies. She, like Ginny, had been on the team in her youth, but retired a few years ago to train them instead. Bill, Fleur, Victoire and Teddy were conversing animatedly about Victoire’s plans to follow in her father’s footsteps next year and work as a Curse-Breaker. Teddy seemed a touch concerned as it would mean she would be away a lot, though he smiled and acted supportive anyway. His hair today was a festive red to mark the occasion and his eyes a bright green like Albus’.

Roxanne, Rose and Dominique were gossiping away as the latter showed them the beautiful silver chain Gawain had bought her for Christmas with dainty mistletoe pendant. While Dominique was waxing lyrical about her boyfriend, Louis, James and Fred were plotting mayhem to occur later in the evening with Albus only partly listening. Lily had opened one of her presents early and was playing with her brand new Wizard’s Chess set against Hugo, a worthy and - though Albus would never admit it to Lily - far superior opponent.

Arthur, Andromeda, Jean and Rupert Granger interrupted their discussion about the latter pair’s holiday to Switzerland that they would be embarking on in a couple of days, when a rather flustered Hermione entered the room. She glanced nervously at the door behind her and slammed it a little to get everyone’s full attention. It worked for the most part, though James and Louis required a swift kick in the shins from Fred to shut up. Satisfied with the quiet, Hermione grinned at them all cheerily.

–Lunch is ready, remember to be very appreciative - Ginny and Molly have been working incredibly hard!” she said this brightly, though there was a slight warning tone to her voice that everyone thought it best to listen to.

Upon entering the dining room, Albus could see his mother and grandmother flicking their wands rapidly and serving up everyone’s starter of port and melon. Their goblets filled themselves with mead for those who were of age and pumpkin juice for those who were not. They each had their own place settings. Albus noticed, with amusement, that James, Louis and Fred were all separated from each other. Albus sat next to Rose and laid his napkin neatly on his lap as he took his place at the long mahogany table. He was sitting opposite Hermione, Ron and Harry with his mother on his other side at the head of the table. She was wearing Muggle clothes, as they often did around the Grangers to make them feel more at ease, and looked very pretty in her deep green wrap dress and low black heels. Albus noticed that she looked quite worn, but as Harry clasped her hand, she gave him a weak smile and raised her glass.

–Merry Christmas, everyone! Dig in!” she said warmly and they didn’t have to be told twice as they returned her wish of ‘Merry Christmas’ and began their starters. It didn’t take long to finish them and their bowls magically cleared away and were replaced with large plates. Albus saw his mother wave her wand and mutter ‘Accio vegetables’ and the tureens containing parsnips, carrots, sprouts, cabbage and roast potatoes drifted through from the kitchen and landed gracefully and certain points at the table. Then she did the same for the turkey, gravy and stuffing until every single person had some on their plate. Albus saw his brother look at it hungrily and knew there was someone who was sure to have second or third helpings.

Albus shovelled some roasted parsnips onto his plate and found himself smiling slightly at his mother’s rambling concerns. –Is the turkey alright? I haven’t overcooked it have I? One of these days I might just give up and get a House-Elf - Kreacher was always so useful,” she said, looking regretful at the elf’s passing some seven years ago. She caught Hermione’s reproachful look and rolled her eyes as she swallowed a mouthful of stuffing and potato.

–I was only joking Hermione, chill out,” she warned her best friend who raised a sceptical eyebrow but said no more. Ginny cast a sideways look at her husband that implied she was in fact being serious. Harry smiled as he ate a bite of his turkey and let out an exaggerated pleasurable sound.

–Mmm, it’s divine, love,” he said in an assuring tone. Ginny shook her head a little and tried not to smile at her husband, with little success. Something occurred to Harry and he turned to his youngest son, indicating at him with his turkey speared on his fork.

–You got a couple of presents in the post by the way from a...” he considered this for a moment and searched his memory before alighting upon the correct one, –Xander Haskell and a Morgana Lark. They’re cutting it a bit fine, but it was nice of them - I hope you’ve got them something too, Al?” Albus wasn’t listening however as he had completely stopped paying attention at the last name his father had mentioned. Morgana? What on earth was she doing sending him a present? It made absolutely no sense. He gave a sharp look to his right to see if Rose was listening, but she was instead talking to James and her father. He returned his eyes to Harry with some urgency.

–Morgana? Morgana Lark - you’re sure?” he inquired in utter confusion. His father nodded his head firmly while Hermione began frowning slightly at their exchange.

–Yes, Morgana Lark and Xander Haskell, I’m positive,” Harry assured him with complete certainty. Hermione finished the mouthful of roast potatoes she had been eating before setting down her cutlery and looking between Harry and Albus.

–Lark? Isn’t that Pansy Parkinson’s new surname?” Hermione asked suspiciously. Albus looked at her perplexed for a moment before remembering the conversation he had heard between his aunt and Draco Malfoy. He nodded his head sheepishly as his father looked at him with an expression of confusion and mild horror.

–Morgana is her daughter...she’s a cousin of one of my friends,” he explained pathetically. He knew it wouldn’t help his case at this point to mention Tristan. The mere fact that a Slytherin had sent him a package was appalling enough. Ginny looked at him with slight concern, as if he was ill or something.

–Albus, why is Pansy Parkinson’s daughter sending you a Christmas present?” she asked, trying and failing to keep her voice level. Albus shrugged as he could honestly say he had absolutely no idea what she was playing at. However, his family were not going to let him get away with it that easily, as Rose interjected from his right.

–He invited her to his birthday party, so they’re basically friends now,” she commented with a slight edge to her voice and a small smirk playing on her mouth. Albus exhaled and cast his eyes downwards as he waited for the inevitable questions that would follow that revelation.

–You invited a Slytherin to your birthday party?” his mother shot at him with mild disgust before continuing, –and Parkinson’s daughter no less! Why didn’t you just go the whole hog and invite Malfoy as well?” Ginny asked sarcastically. Albus immediately looked to his cousin with imploring eyes in order that she might keep silent. She had already opened her mouth to respond, but upon seeing Albus’ desperation, merely filled it grumpily with some sprouts and carrots.

–I’m all for equality Al, but Parkinson was a piece of work at school...” Harry trailed off as Albus nodded his head wearily. He stabbed a potato more aggressively than necessary before he spoke.

–Yes, Hermione said,” he commented tonelessly. Albus was pleased to see his aunt look slightly uncomfortable at this when Harry and Ginny both shot her quizzical looks, but Albus continued. –Morgana’s not much better. I only invited her cause she’d caught us talking about it and she’s the cousin of one of my friends so I do talk to her quite a bit - we all do.” He threw a look at Rose with his last sentence and she stuck her tongue out at him childishly.

–Well that sounds overly diplomatic of you,” his father half complimented, half admonished. He turned his attention to Hermione now. –When were you talking to Albus about Parkinson?” he asked her bemusedly. Hermione quickly shoved some food in her mouth to give her some time to think of her answer. She swallowed before uttering her casual reply.

–I wasn’t discussing it with Albus. It came up when I was talking to Draco in The Leaky Cauldron.” Hermione’s attempt at breeziness was futile as Ron interrupted his conversation with Jean and Rupert at his wife’s words. He observed her with raised eyebrows and an odd expression between a smirk and a frown on his face.

–Oh, so it’s ‘Draco’ now, is it?” Ron inquired mockingly. Albus was rather relieved that the heat was off him, though he did feel relatively sorry for his aunt whose neck was turning crimson. She took a swig of mead and rolled her eyes.

–Well there are more ‘Malfoys’ now that I could have been referring to and only one Draco,” she pointed out logically and the blush eased off. Albus knew she was being perfectly sensible and his uncle unreasonable, though he didn’t think many other members of his family would agree with him.

His mother spoke up as if to illustrate his point. –It looks like Albus isn’t the only one with a new Slytherin pal,” she said teasingly over the top of her goblet. Hermione looked as if she was going to scowl for a moment before she broke out into a grin and chucked her napkin at her friend. The two laughed with each other for a moment before Hermione turned to Harry a touch inquisitively.

–The other package Albus received - did you say the boy’s name was Haskell?” Hermione enquired contemplatively. Harry nodded again and he seemed to be wearied by the number of complaints this information had generated. –I wonder if he’s related to the Haskell whose job I took over....” she said more to herself than anyone else. Albus cast his mind back to the first night in Gryffindor tower and remembered that Xander had mentioned his father had worked in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement - Hermione’s department.

Albus nodded enthusiastically. –Yes, he said his father used to work there before...” Albus trailed off sadly. Xander had only ever told their Gryffindor friends of his father’s predicament and Albus didn’t think Xander would like it much if he blurted it to his whole family over Christmas lunch. However, his aunt had no such concerns.

–He was sent to Azkaban,” she said simply and her eyes adopt a far-off quality. –Poor man...” she muttered sympathetically. Albus frowned at this. Xander had never told him the reason for his father’s imprisonment, but whatever it was he never expected it to be something worth pitying. Rose looked to her mother curiously.

–Poor man?” she asked with shock on her face and concern in her tone. –What’s he in Azkaban for?” Rose enquired quizzically. Hermione gave her a rather humourless wan smile and ate her last mouthful of turkey.

–He killed two Muggles,” she said simply. Albus’ head pounded and his chest constricted tightly. No wonder Xander never talked about it and had told them from the beginning to get the questions out of the way. To know that a parent that you loved and trusted was capable of taking the lives of two defenceless...Albus halted his train of thought. Why had his aunt referred to him as ‘poor man?’ Rose seemed to have the same thought in mind.

–Why?” she asked in a horrified tone. It was a mark of their naivety that they could think of no logical explanation for it. Hermione glanced uneasily from her husband to her friends and was met with three more interested faces. She sighed and sopped up the last of her gravy with a roast potato.

–Emrys Haskell was a good man - is a good man. He loved his wife and children very much.” The use of the plural did not go unnoticed by Albus and Rose who cast sideways glances at each other. Neither of them was aware that Xander had a sibling. –One evening, when he was late back from work, a couple of Muggles broke into his home and killed his wife Gwendolyn and his little girl Ffion. I think they were trying to rob the place,” Hermione commented with some uncertainty and waved her hand before adopting a bitter expression.

–Gwendolyn had tried to object so they shot her with a gun - a sort of Muggle wand. Ffion screamed when she saw her mother so they shot her too. Xander was just a toddler and slept through it all.” Albus noticed Rose’s eyes were beginning to brim slightly with tears as she saw how the story was unfolding. –Emrys came home as they were stealing Gwendolyn’s wedding ring,” Hermione cast her eyes down and sighed heavily as she pushed her cutlery together.

–He flew into a rage as he saw his wife dead and their daughter lying next to her and those...” she seemed to be searching for a word foul enough and she found the tamest one she could –vultures, stealing her ring. He killed them both instantly, took Xander to his sister’s flat and handed himself in.” Ron exhaled heavily as she concluded her tale. He was loading his plate up for his second helping and it was already piled high.

–’Ow d’you know all o’ tha’?” Ron asked bewilderedly through a mouthful of carrots and parsnips. Hermione and Ginny both gave him matching looks of distaste.

–Jarndyce told me when I took over Haskell’s position,” Hermione said in explanation. Ron raised his eyebrows and let out a low whistle.

–Can’t believe he handed himself in,” Ron remarked incredulously. Hermione finished a sip of her wine with a slight frown upon her face.

–It would hardly be fair on Xander to go on the run with him in tow or even without him - always wondering when his father was going to get caught. He may have broken the law, but he was still part of the Magical Law Enforcement department, he couldn’t bring himself to run from us,” she rationalised to her husband. Ginny and Harry nodded gravely and Ron gave a little incline of the head and shovelled a forkful of turkey and stuffing in his mouth.

–Poor man indeed...” Ginny muttered under her breath. Albus agreed with his mother intensely. He had never imagined the sheer pain that consumed Xander’s past. Alecsander Haskell with his sandy blonde hair, broad shoulders and smiling face always exuded an air of jollity and calm. The fact that such death and misery lay behind him made him all the more admirable in Albus’ eyes. Rose sniffed quietly beside him. He knew that she wouldn’t say anything to Xander, neither would he. Xander obviously wasn’t ready to tell them all the circumstances of his father’s incarceration. As far as Albus was concerned, Emrys Haskell was an admirable man and had been driven to extremes through unimaginable grief.

Harry swiftly turned the conversation in a more cheery direction with chat about someone in his department having a baby and the complaints about the junior they had to fill her place. Apparently he managed to knock himself out the last time they’d taken him out into the field to apprehend a suspect. The rest of the meal passed with much easier discussion, most of the time talking about what subjects Rose would want to take on in her third year. To Albus’ ears, it sounded like all of them. They went through pudding with gusto which consisted of a Christmas Pudding, mince pies and trifle.

Once they were all full to bursting, especially Ron and James who had eaten three helpings of their main and two puddings, they all sat in the reception room ripping into their presents. Albus received much in the way of joke shop merchandise, sweets and books from his friends and family. His grandma Molly had knitted him a gold and red striped scarf and matching gloves and his parents had bought him a set of emerald dress robes. He was momentarily quite puzzled as to their purpose, but he was informed that it was a Hogwarts tradition, as of a few years ago, to have a Valentine’s Ball. All years were welcome, so Albus would need something smarter if he chose to go. He personally didn’t see the point - he didn’t want to go with anyone in that way. He tried to block out the ramblings of his female cousins about what they would wear and who would be going with whom, but the shrillness with which they exchanged their ideas made it impossible.

After the Christmas fireworks, a round of Butterbeer and a slice of Christmas cake each, the various family members started making their way back home. The first to leave was George and family, as they were heading up to stay with Angelina’s parents in the early hours of tomorrow morning and they still hadn’t packed. They were soon followed by Bill, Fleur and Dominique. They were heading to Bargemon in Provence the next day to the Delacours’ villa. Victoire was not going to be joining them under the pretence of doing some extra studying for her N.E.W.Ts but Albus suspected it was to spend some more time with Teddy. Louis had been invited to go to the Grey’s home in Kinloch Rannoch for Boxing Day along with Conall and Persephone. James was supposed to be going also, but his parents had banned him after learning of his late night wanderings. Persephone was going to meet Louis at Grimmauld Place at midday and they would both Floo from there.

Andromeda refused the offer to stay overnight, though she would return the next day for supper. Ron, Hermione, Rose and Hugo were all staying until the day after New Year’s Day. Molly and Arthur were spending Boxing Day with Charlie in Romania as they were very taken with Amelinda and hoped that perhaps she might be the one to snare the perpetual bachelor. They were the last to leave along with the Grangers as Molly and Jean insisted on helping Harry with the washing up - he wisely let Ginny have a break from the kitchen. Arthur was keenly cross-examining Rupert on what skiing involved. Ever since Ron had married Hermione, the Grangers had to endure much grilling about everyday happenings in their lives. They took it all rather well though and they took interest in Arthur’s work and were very amused by his experiment with the flying Ford Anglia.

The remaining Weasleys, Potters and Lupin sat sprawled on the sofas barely talking or moving. They were exhausted and stuffed from the day’s activities. Lily was playing with one of the Flitting Faeries from the tree and was watching it dance prettily on her palm. Hugo observed her silently with drooping eyes while his sister sat next to him, completely immersed in her ‘An Introduction to Ancient Runes’ book from Bill and Fleur. Rose had been enthusing about how she couldn’t wait to start learning it and how she wished Hogwarts offered the study of the archaic Borrean and Phoronean languages. Hermione thought she was destined for a career as an inter-species or international translator at the Ministry.

As Victoire and Teddy excused themselves to go to bed in their supposedly separate rooms, Albus decided to follow their example and kissed his mother on the cheek, hugged his father and bade the rest of his family ‘goodnight.’ Albus had no intention of going to sleep yet however. He needed time before James came up to bed to open his final gift. He had saved it all evening and, though it was doubtful it would be his best, it was the one he was most curious about.

He bounded up the stairs two at a time until he reached the spacious bedroom with two single beds. He sat on the bed nearest the window and inspected the brown paper package. It didn’t appear cursed and he was sure his father would not have given it to him if it was. Considering his last conversation with Morgana, he would not be at all surprised if she had attempted to curse him. However, fairly certain that it was safe to open the parcel, he tore into the wrapping eagerly, taking no care of potentially destroying what was inside.

The first item he came across was what appeared to be a small spinning top. On closer inspection, Albus recognised it as a pocket Sneakoscope. Albus had heard that they were surprisingly accurate despite their reputation as tourist tat. It stayed motionless in Albus’ palm and its whistles and lights remained dormant. He spun it absently on his bedside table and picked it up lazily when it inevitably toppled off. He had recalled his father telling him once that he had a Sneakoscope that would not cease in its screeching. With this in mind, Albus wrapped his new scarf around it tightly and placed it in the trunk at the end of the bed - just in case.

He then turned his attention to the rest of the wrappings. At first he thought that was all that was inside it, but then he spotted an ivory envelope in amongst the brown paper. The insignia on the back was of a small bird in a deep green colour. Albus ripped it open with the same lack of care he had the present itself. Inside was a single piece of parchment with a small paragraph of writing on it. Albus’ eyes scanned it quickly, his brow furrowing with each word he read. Even after the fourth and fifth time he read it, he could make no more sense of it.

After ten minutes of purely staring at the befuddling note, the door creaked open and James entered sleepily. Albus quickly busied himself, pretending he was about to put his pyjamas on. After he pulled his long-sleeved top over his head, he slipped beneath his blankets and automatically returned his brother’s mumble of ‘goodnight’. But Albus could not think of sleep right then. He could only lie prostrate on his bed soundlessly but with a whirring mind. Even when the last bedroom door swung shut for the night he could not rid himself of the words in his head which kept playing over and over. They became no clearer to him but in spite of, or perhaps because of, that fact, he could not cease the thoughts chasing themselves through his mind.

When he finally did get to sleep, through sheer exhaustion if anything, it was nearly dawn. In his hand he still clutched the note - the reason for his insomnia. He had resolved to discuss it with Rose the next day, though he suspected she would merely dismiss it at Morgana trying to mess with him. To him, it seemed a bit far to go just to mess with someone. However, it brought him no closer to the meaning of the words - those words which were the last thoughts to play in his head before he succumbed to slumber.

You can have me but not hold me
Gain and quickly lose me
If treated with care I can be great
And if betrayed I will break
Hence mind who you give me to
Thus far your judgement has been askew
So beware of those with foul intent
And even those you feel well-meant
Chapter Endnotes:

I hope you enjoyed the recent installment - a bit the wrong time of year for it! Please tell me what you thought of it :)