Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Midnight Thief by Alice Mac

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A few weeks had passed since Albus’ detention and they were all now very much settled into Hogwarts. They had all gotten to know each other, the castle and the rules a lot better (although that still didn’t stop them from breaking them). Albus had decided against mentioning Tristan’s late night wanderings to him or any of their friends. He didn’t expect any straight answers from Tristan, even if he did ask him. Albus put it down to him trying to clear his head. Admittedly, he didn’t feel the Forbidden Forest was the best place for that, but each to their own.

The work load had hit a plateau which Albus felt was manageable, although he did occasionally get distracted by a game of Wizard’s Chess or Frank’s incessant chatter and fall behind. As another week came to an end, when Albus would ordinarily be frantically doing all the work he had left for the weekend, he was prevented from doing so on a Saturday afternoon as it was time for the first Quidditch match of the season. It was an exciting first game as well: Gryffindor versus Slytherin. It was almost guaranteed to be over-flowing with unashamed cheating, penalties and post-match brawling. Albus personally couldn’t wait, and surprisingly neither could Tristan, demonstrating a previously unseen enthusiasm as he talked about it.

–Quidditch soon, losers!” That was the greeting they received from Tristan as they sat up at the table for lunch. –We better get a move on if we want to get good seats.” He crammed approximately half a tuna sandwich into his excited face as he spoke. Albus checked his watch: the match wasn’t for an hour. Effie wrinkled her nose in the displeasure of seeing Tristan’s usually handsome face full of food. Tristan spotted this and swallowed with some difficulty before smiling apologetically.

–I didn’t realise you were so into Quidditch,” commented Rose as she smiled at her friend. Tristan nodded rapidly, taking another bite of sandwich before he answered.

–I play Quidditch all the time at my uncle’s house. I always play Beater or Keeper.” He swallowed again, looking a little queasy, but still carried on. –If I don’t get on the team next year I’ll cry, and I’m telling you, that’s not a common thing.” Xander and Theron laughed, expressing their own desire to be on the team.

–I reckon you’re a dead cert for next year, though. And you too, Al,” Xander said, turning towards Albus who was finishing the last of his Caesar salad. –You’re the best flyers in our group. And your cousin,” he turned to Tristan who nodded in acknowledgment, –and...” Xander didn’t finish that sentence although everyone knew the end of it. Scorpius was a bit of a taboo topic. Luckily they hadn’t had too much contact with him as he chose to sit with his three closest friends: Hector Bartlett, Damian Zabini and Morgana Lark. When Morgana occasionally talked to them in lessons or in the corridors Scorpius had learnt to hang back until she was finished. After Albus had returned from his detention his friends seem to expect some story of a showdown between the two, a few hexes thrown about, some cruel words at least. Hearing that Scorpius was late, that Albus didn’t inform Madam Chang of that fact but instead lightened his workload as they talked relatively amicably, was not the news they were evidently hoping for.

Tristan chose to ignore the almost-mention of Scorpius Malfoy and swallowed the first bite of his second tuna sandwich.”Morgana has been playing since she was really small. She has two older brothers, both on Slytherin’s Quidditch team. They always make us practice with them, but I don’t mind, I love it.” He said sincerely, taking a large gulp of pumpkin juice. –She’s a shoe-in for next year’s team. Her oldest brother, Mathias, is captain.” He took another swig of juice which he nearly choked on as a voice appeared directly behind him.

–I’d like to think I could rely on the fact I’m better than everyone else to get me on the team Tristan, not the fact that Mathias is the captain.” Tristan coughed, still managing to roll his eyes at his cousin’s words. Frank pounded him hard on the back - an action which only seemed to exacerbate his cough. Soon it died down and he turned in his seat to fact the pretty black-haired girl.

–Thanks Morgana, I really wanted to choke to death before the first Quidditch match of the year.” A voice from behind Morgana asked Tristan whether he wanted his drink topped-up. The smirking face of Scorpius Malfoy appeared next to the youngest Lark, who rolled her ethereally blue eyes, smiling slightly. Tristan and the rest of the Gryffindors chose to ignore him, with the exception of Rose who sneered at him, prompting a wave which she pretended not to see.

–Anyway,” Morgana started, elongating the word, emphasising the tense situation, –I hope you’ll be supporting Slytherin Tris. Mathias and Maximus are playing, after all!” she drawled, although a hint of doubt on her face indicated to Albus that she didn’t honestly think Tristan was going to be doing as she said. Sure enough, Tristan widened his eyes at her words, and shook his head, eating a mouthful of chocolate brownie with gusto.

–Obviously not, Morgana. I’m in Gryffindor; I’ll be supporting my house.” Frank clapped him on the back and Theron added a helpful ‘too right!’ in a show of solidarity. Morgana fixed him with a critical glare in an attempt to see whether he was being serious. After a couple of moments passed it became evident that he was so she rolled her eyes and sighed in resignation.

–I see you’ve been swayed over to the dark side.” Tristan and Albus laughed at the irony and she threw them a mocking smile in return. –Whatever, we’re going to thrash you either way.”

Nearly all the Gryffindors raised their eyebrows, causing Scorpius to laugh. They all ignored him. Instead, Theron, looking towards Morgana, cooed ironically: –Oooh, fighting talk! Someone’s a bit optimistic.” Morgana simpered and began walking backwards slowly.

–It’s not optimism when you know you’re on the winning side.” She spun around, facing away from them and held her hand up level with her head. –See you later, losers.” Malfoy left them with a smirk and wink directed at Rose in an obvious attempt to aggravate her (and not unsuccessfully). The Gryffindors finished the remainder of the food on their plates, with much urging from an anxious Tristan. There was still some while before the match, but he was set on getting front seats so insisted they all left in good time. It was quite lucky that they arrived early as well, the rows filled-up not long after their arrival. They had quite a view, with all of them being able to fit into one row accompanied by Polly and Elena Gara. A beautiful and confident girl, Elena flitted between the various groups with ease, although her best friend was Una Macmillan.

Tristan was sitting next to Albus and kept bouncing his knee in an excitable manner which Albus felt was rather distracting. The other side of him was Rose who was trying to block out Frank and Xander’s debate about whether the Thrimby Thunderbolts deserved to be moving up the Quidditch leagues. Effie and Theron sat on the other side of Tristan, united by their excitement about seeing their first Quidditch match and their bewilderment about everyone else’s reactions. Albus saw the commentator, Albus’ cousin Louis, position himself in front of the microphone, indicating to the crowd that the game was about to commence.

People began to quieten down, although there were still excited murmurs coming from all around. At last, the gates were opened and the teams marched in, brooms in hand, smiling and waving to the cheering crowd. The Slytherin team was largely male dominated, Albus noted, with only one troll-like girl in their female contingent. The captains met in the middle to shake hands. Gryffindor’s captain was their Seeker and one of Victoire’s close friends Morwenna Trouver while Slytherin’s was a handsome dark, slightly curly-haired boy that Albus guessed was Mathias Lark. They shook hands amicably before getting ready to mount their brooms.

Madam Chang held up three fingers, putting them down one at a time. Tristan whispered to no one in particular: –This is it...” Seconds after he said the words, the whistle was blown, the Snitch was flying here and there and the players were in hot pursuit, passing the Quaffle like a hot potato.

–And, they’re off!” Louis’ voice sounded over the speakers. –And Gryffindor have possession, good work lads - and ladies.” He added hastily before continuing. –Weasley - Fred that is - I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but there are quite a few of us,” Louis quipped and the laughs of those who knew the vast Weasley family could be heard amongst the cheers. –Anyway, he passes to Potter who dodges a Bludger from Bruno Stout - better luck next time, mate. He throws to Cora and - oh!” He winces before continuing. –She receives a Bludger to the back from Cassius Bullingdon - really brave that one. Portia Devlin takes the Quaffle. Interesting fact you may not know about Devlin: she’s the only girl on the Slytherin team.” There was a smattering of raucous laughter at the implications and some stifled laughs from various staff members.

–Devlin passes to Sharpe; he dodges a bludger from Doyle McAllister. Sharpe did an almost balletic spin there - wouldn’t have thought it of you, Dorian. He passes to Maximus Lark - oh, he’s set him up beautifully there. But wait! A well aimed bludger from the brilliant Alphie Grey sends the Quaffle back into the hands of Potter. Whoa! Dodged a double bludger attack there. I don’t think that’s legal, ref!” He looked imploringly over to Madam Chang who ignored him so he merely shrugged and continued. –Potter’s racing ahead, although Maximus Lark’s on his tail. He passes to Cora. She takes aim.” He paused, holding his breath until-

–SHE SCORES! Ten points to Gryffindor! Persephone Cora scores the first points of the match. My friend, by the way,” he added boastfully, Persephone stuck her thumbs up in Louis’ direction and smiled. –Good teamwork between Potter and Cora there. Now it’s Slytherin’s chance to bring it back as they take possession: Devlin passes to Sharpe who...gets hit in the head by a Bludger from McAllister - brilliant! I mean...Weasley’s with the Quaffle. Manages to pass to Potter despite the kick in the shins from Sharpe, git.” The Gryffindors laughed and cheered at this but Albus could see Professor Weylin raise his eyebrows slightly. –Sorry, sir almost forgot about the microphone.” He cleared his throat to continue.

–Potter passes to Cora, can they do it again? Ah! Mathias Lark makes an irritatingly skilful save. But there is still plenty of time and Gryffindor have got off to a tremendous start.” That lead remained strong by quite a few points thanks to the incredible teamwork of Fred, James and Persie. Tristan had nearly screamed himself hoarse by the time the score was 60-20 in Gryffindor’s favour. There was no sign of the snitch as of yet, but due to the clearer weather it would likely be spotted before long. Morwenna and the Slytherin seeker Julian Montague hovered high above so as not to get caught up in the ruckus of the game. Albus had the distinct impression that Montague was tailing Trouver though instead of finding the Snitch for himself.

Louis was evidently quite in his element in regards to the commentary as he practically bellowed over the speakers: –And it’s Potter with the Quaffle, he makes a superb pass to Weasley who just about dodges a Bludger from Bullingdon - he’s whizzing up the field, takes aim - no, he passes to Cora - is she fast enough? - YES! - Gryffindor score! Atta girl! Great tactical play from the Gryffindor Chasers - better luck next time, Lark.” Louis commented with distinct insincerity, prompting a few choice curse words from Mathias, although he didn’t appear too fazed. Madam Chang issued him with a warning however, play resumed.

Albus surveyed the faces of his friends, tearing his eyes from the zooming figures above them. Tristan was captivated; nothing could have interrupted his concentration. Theron and Effie had expressions of awe and excitement and were cheering with sheer enthusiasm for their team. Rose, however, was not looking at the game, but instead at a bird perched on the divide between the Gryffindor and Slytherin seating.

As Louis begrudgingly announced a goal for Slytherin allowed by Dominique’s boyfriend Gawain Knight, Albus leant closer to Rose so that he might be heard over the din. –What are you looking at? Shouldn’t you be concentrating on the game? You know James is going to give us a blow-by-blow account of every goal he scored or helped set-up in this game, so you better know what he’s talking about.” Rose shook her head distractedly, still looking at the bird vaguely.

–Just that black bird’s strange, it’s like it’s watching the game.” Albus looked to the spot that she was talking about, but just as he did, the bird took off. He shrugged dismissively and turned back to watch Maximus Lark score another goal for Slytherin.

–Maybe it’s a Quidditch fan,” Albus commented absently. Rose snorted, nodding her head sarcastically.

–Yeah, you’re right, that’s definitely it.” Out of the corner of his eye, Albus could still she her looking in the direction the bird had previously been. Her eyes narrowed and as she turned back to the game she flicked her hair so aggressively that she hit Albus in the face: something she did not apologise for.

–I hate him and his stupid face.” Albus wasn’t really listening and instead, hoping that Slytherin didn’t keep scoring goals, replied to his cousin in a half-hearted manner.

–How do you know the bird’s male?” Rose hit Albus on his arm, causing him to shift his eyes from the game and back onto her. She looked a mixture of annoyed and amused when he looked at her.

–Not the bird, idiot - Scorpius Malfoy.” Albus had to force himself not to roll his eyes, so instead focused them on the game. Rose’s dislike of Scorpius was something he encountered daily and while he didn’t necessarily oppose it, he did find it a bit wearisome at times.

–Of course, my mistake,” he said in a monotone, hoping that it would discourage her from talking further, which, fortunately, it did.

Louis’ commentary was becoming more on edge the more Slytherin began to catch up to Gryffindor’s lead. They were playing for the next point, having just witnessed another Slytherin goal and Louis’ patience was waning. –Potter with the Quaffle - COME ON, MY LAD! - he hurtles down the pitch and - ergh, Stout the tw-talented,” he corrected himself with some difficulty –Beater sends a Bludger his way. Now it’s Devlin with the Quaffle - she moves gracefully - almost making the claims of her femininity believable -” there were some pantomime –ooohs” and laughter at this, –passing to Sharpe who’s had a bit of a quiet game today. Maybe he can turn that around - although I sincerely hope not. He passes to Maximus Lark anyway who - what the...” He stopped his commentary mid-sentence and it only took a few seconds to see why. Up above, away from the swift passing of the Quaffle and the smacking of the Bludger had swooped a black bird and it had nose-dived and careered with purpose into Albus’ brother.

–OI! What’s that filthy bird doing? Get away from my cousin!” As Slytherin scored yet another goal Louis swore, not being able to contain his disappointment and his stress over what was happening to James. Albus watched numbly as the bird flew at him time and time again, causing many wounds to James’ face as he didn’t dare to take his hands off his broom. Albus reached into his cloak for his wand and pointed it towards his brother; however, Rose yanked down hard on his wrist.

–Don’t! You could hit James and make it so much worse.” There were gasps and murmurs from the audience now, evidently they were just as troubled by the presence of the strange possessed creature. James attempted to continue play, out-flying it. But he could not beat a natural flier at its own game and it was only a matter of time before he lost. Everyone was watching in horror, captivated at the strange game of chase that was unfolding before their eyes. They watched as James swooped, batting the assailant away with one hand. Even his fellow team mates were struggling to hold concentration, allowing Slytherin to take an unexpected lead. Louis’ commentating had fallen by the way-side as he intently watched James’ tussle.

James appeared to shake the frenzied creature with many loop-the-loops and speedy direction changes and Louis eased back into commenting on the game which did not look to be improving for the Gryffindors. –Right, so, now that rabid crow has left James alone he can get back to doing what he does best: crushing Slytherins.” There was a mixture of hisses and laughs at this and Albus spotted a grin from his rather weary-looking brother, his face scattered with small cuts.

–And Devlin passes to Sharpe but Potter’s on his tail - come on, James! We’re not giving them more of an excuse to be smug gits!” Professor Sorensen scowled at this and Albus could vaguely make out Louis receiving a snarled reprimand which he barely acknowledged. Albus was still looking at Sorensen when he heard the gasps. He turned to see what they were in reference to when he saw it. It all unfurled in a matter of seconds; James, his big brother, on the tail of Sharpe, about to seize the Quaffle when Stout shot a well-aimed Bludger at the back of his head, causing James to become unsteady and the grip on his broom to loosen. At the same time, the large black bird returned, diving at his face and resulting him in completely letting go of the broom in surprise.

Albus’ chest constricted and his breath caught in his throat. He was aware of a lot of noise around him; of screams and gasps and exclamations but he didn’t take it in. All he saw was his big brother; his face usually adorned with a confident grin and the twinkle of mischief in his eye, now pale and frozen in fear as he tumbled from the broom. He was not far off thirty feet in the air. If Albus could have found his voice he would have cried out, thought of some spell, something to help his brother. But his wand lay uselessly in his pocket and his throat was too dry for usage. It all happened so fast that no one could have stopped him from his harsh landing back on Earth. Professor Weylin aimed a curse at the bird, but it disappeared as quickly as it had come.

James lay on the ground on his stomach, his eyes closed and a welt on his head growing by the minute. For a moment no one moved. The game stopped; even the Slytherins appeared mildly uneasy. Then a scream came from the Hufflepuff stands, a second year girl with a pallid complexion. Clearly she thought James was dead. As Albus stared mindlessly at his unconscious brother and a small voice said in his head: ‘how do you know he’s not?’ The thought winded him, he could barely breathe and if Rose had not yanked him by the hand harshly in the direction of the stairs, he would have forgotten how to move his legs. Numbly he wove through the crowds, vaguely aware that Tristan, Effie and Frank had followed them and that they were slowly amassing a group of Weasley cousins the further down they walked.

By the time he’d reached the freshly cut grass of the Quidditch pitch, James was barely visible due to the group gathered around him. His team-mates crowded around him: Persephone’s face was waxy with tears and Alphie had his arms gingerly around her shoulders, tucking her into his chest, stroking her hair in an attempt to soothe her. Fred was kneeling at James’ head, staring in paralysed shock. Madam Chang was attempting to move the team away from him as Professor Weylin conjured a stretcher and levitated James onto it gently. The Slytherins landed on the ground and looked on with mild curiosity in some cases and indifference in others.

Albus couldn’t pay attention to them now. His eyes found James’ face, usually so full of life: now cut and bruised and swollen and insentient. He felt sick as he walked up to stand next to his brother and Professor Weylin. He briefly noted how tall the man was - he had only seen him sitting down or from far away before. He tore his eyes away from his brother’s face and focused them on his Headmaster who wore a hard look on his face. His eyes softened as he looked at Albus briefly before turning to the growing horde.

–Mr Potter needs to be taken to Madam Pompfrey immediately. He appears to have broken his left limbs and fractured three ribs, his head injuries are minor by comparison. He is very battered but he will live.” He cast them a grim smile before continuing. –His family may accompany him to the Hospital Wing. Family only at this point, please.” He turned to Fred who was still kneeling where James’ head used to be. –Except for you, Mr Weasley, you are required to finish the game.” The team members appeared aghast. Persephone tore her head away from Alphie’s shoulder to address Weylin.

–But sir, we’re a Chaser down and besides, we’re hardly going to think straight, not now - not with James...” She trailed off, staring at her friend. Her chest heaved as if she were sobbing, but no tears spilt. Professor Weylin shook his head and smiled at her sadly.

–I’m afraid, Miss Cora, that rules are rules. The injury of a player does not halt a game. The teams resume and must endeavour to play to the best of their abilities, in spite of their worry and disadvantage.” Persephone jutted her chin out and gave a curt nod. Weylin surveyed her for a moment before adding: –I’m sorry, it gives me no pleasure to cause you additional stress, but I cannot change the rules, not even for an occasion such as this.” He gestured to James’ unconscious form and Persephone nodded again, only this time she gave him a small smile. Alphie put his arm around her again with slightly less discomfiture.

Albus and Rose muttered goodbye to Tristan, Effie and Frank (well, Rose did and Albus watched her, dazed) and set off in the direction of the castle with their six Weasley cousins lead by Bill and Fleur’s three children Victoire, Dominique and Louis. The two older sisters were comforting their brother. Victoire had her slender arm around him as Dominique stroked his hair with dainty fingers. Ordinarily he would have brushed them off and told them to stop fussing but he was clearly more pre-occupied with thoughts of James. A few steps behind them were Uncle Percy’s daughters Molly and Lucy. Roxanne walked near Lucy, her fellow second year, but was not talking to her; she looked like Albus felt. It took Albus until they reached the castle to notice that Rose had still not let go of his hand. It didn’t concern him; he needed all the support he could get. He appreciated her silence, but he didn’t know whether she did it for his benefit or because her voice too was caught somewhere in her throat.

When they finally made it to the Hospital Wing, Madam Pompfrey started. She scrutinised the large group and her eyes widened. She turned her hawk-eyes to James and shook her head regretfully and tutted and mumbled something about Quidditch being a brutal sport. Albus only half listened as Professor Weylin explained what happened and that his family wished to be with him. He vaguely noted that Professor Swinburne had sent for his parents and undoubtedly Rose’s as well. She squeezed his hand, bringing him back out of his head. He looked at her, the first time since he saw his brother tumbling down to earth. She had tears glistening in her eyes and her auburn bushy hair hung in her face. She cast him a watery smile which he couldn’t return. He looked back at James lying in the hospital bed. He looked smaller somehow. His limbs looked disjointed like a ragdoll. For the first time since this happened Albus felt hot tears stinging his eyes. He did not blink. He wouldn’t let them fall; James would make fun of him for it.

They sat there for half an hour, making tense small-talk with each other and Professor Weylin. He was discussing with Victoire her desire to work as a Curse-breaker at Gringotts when Albus’ parents burst in with his little sister in tow. His Uncle Ron and Aunt Hermione followed closely behind, the latter clasping Hugo’s hand in hers. His father embraced him but he didn’t respond; just stood there until he was released. He was unmoving and silent. His mother kissed the top of his head and smoothed his hair before taking the seat previously occupied by Professor Weylin. She clutched James’ right hand and allowed tears to pour freely. His father stood beside her with his hand on her shoulder and looked grave. Lily cried and Albus wanted to comfort her but he just stood, useless, as he had done when James fell. Roxanne wrapped her arms around Lily who buried her face into Roxanne’s mane of brown hair. Hugo crossed over the room to stand next to his sister and slid a small hand into her free hand. Hermione and Ron were talking to Professor Weylin and Albus began to listen.

–What happened? Professor Swinburne said he fell, but how? And why this badly? His face – it’s bloodied and swollen...” Hermione trailed off, her brow furrowing in concern. Professor Weylin nodded and looked to James with pity.

–The combination of a Bludger and a possessed bird dislodged him from the broom.” Albus’ parents and his aunt and uncle shot Weylin a confused look and he smiled grimly. –Yes, I know it sounds strange but, it was attacking him previously and then-”

–It was as if it saw its moment, decided to strike when he was most helpless.” Albus spoke for the first time, dropping Rose’s hand as he did. His voice was hoarse when he used it, but it grew stronger. They all stared at him, old tears rolling down sodden cheeks. –But that’s stupid; birds don’t have attack plans or cleverness.” Professor Weylin nodded with an odd look on his face, almost like he was impressed.

–Very good Albus. I am under the impression that it was the work of magic. A charm of some kind; birds can be conjured,” Hermione inexplicably blushed at this and Ron gave her a nearly imperceptible furtive look, –controlled or trained. I am working under the assumption that the bird was not operating in accordance with its natural behaviour. But that presents us with a different dilemma altogether.” He paused, looking away from Albus and towards his mother and father. –Who would want to harm your son? Answer that, and we find the person responsible for this.”

–It was the Slytherins.” Albus spoke without thinking. For a second time he found all eyes in the room were on him. He didn’t feel self conscious at this point though. Professor Weylin eyed him carefully for a moment.

–That’s a serious allegation, Albus. Care to be more specific?” Weylin asked curiously. Albus was shaken by this. It was more a feeling than anything and some words that had stuck in his head.

–It’s just um, before the game M-” he hesitated for a moment before continuing, –someone from Slytherin was talking to Rose and me. They seemed so certain of their victory.” He looked at their dubious faces. –It may be nothing...” Professor Weylin nodded, his brow creasing in thought.

–Well we’ll certainly look into it as a line of inquiry, but chances are that your friend was just trying to goad you.” Albus frowned at the use of the word ‘friend’ and Professor Weylin caught this and smiled slightly. He turned back to Harry and Ginny; he was about to start speaking when Ron interrupted.

–I bet it was that Malfoy boy. I wouldn’t put it past his father to put him up to it.” Professor Weylin wasn’t the only one knitting his brow at this. Hermione rolled her eyes and Albus shook his head slightly.

–Scorpius Malfoy is more into winding us up, he hasn’t shown any sign that he wishes us harm,” Albus said fairly. Rose snorted and Albus scowled faintly. –You weren’t in detention with him, Rose. I’m not saying he’s nice; he’s just not as bad as-” He was prevented from finishing his sentence by his mother who fixed him with a stern look.

–Detention? Merlin’s beard, Albus - you’ve only been here a little over a month.” She softened her expression and flicked her eyes skyward when she caught Harry’s small smile. –You are your father’s son.” She smiled amusedly at her husband who asked his son:

–What did you get it for? And why were you having it with Malfoy?” Albus felt himself flush lightly at this. He did not enjoy telling this story. He remembered telling it to James at dinner before his detention and his flabbergasted reaction; it made him smile to himself as he replied.

–It was our first flying lesson and our friend Effie had never flown before so she got er bit - er - carried away. I went to go help her, as did Malfoy. I thought Madam Chang was going to be really angry, but she was alright about it.” He left out the bit where it was actually Malfoy who caught Effie, although he was sure that if James had been conscious, he would have reminded him about it. He caught his mother shoot a sideways glance at his father who appeared sheepish but did not say anything.

–Well, if you’re going to get a detention for doing something, helping your friend is a pretty good reason,” Hermione said with a smile. His Uncle Ron was clearly not concentrating on Albus’ part in this however.

–Yes, that’s really brave and everything, I’m not surprised you did it; but Scorpius Malfoy. Son of Draco Malfoy, grandson of Lucius Malfoy? I don’t buy it. It just doesn’t make sense.” He looked genuinely dumbfounded. Hermione placed a hand gently on his arm.

–Well maybe that’s what Al was trying to say. Maybe he isn’t as bad as some of his family and therefore isn’t responsible for this,” Hermione reasoned. Ron looked at her sceptically as Professor Weylin nodded in agreement.

–I very much doubt that Mr Malfoy was in any way involved. Whoever was must have been at least in their sixth year, if it was indeed a pupil.” He allowed this to sink in for a moment before continuing. –Now, I’ll leave you to it. Madam Pompfrey has been informed that you may wish to stay overnight and that the crowd of visitors may increase. It’s doubtful that Miss Cora, Mr Grey and Mr Wolcott will be deterred from visiting, so you may expect them after the game.” He turned to Albus’ mother with kind eyes.

–Madam Pompfrey has already administered bone healing potion and when he re-gains consciousness he will be given strengthening solution and treatment for his cosmetic injuries. He is in good hands, Ginevra.” Albus’ mother smiled weakly at Professor Weylin. Albus vaguely registered the rare use of his mother’s full first name as his Headmaster left them all with a final nod and a goodbye.

With Professor Weylin’s absence, Ron continued his complaints about the Malfoy family, in spite of Hermione’s sincere reproaching and Harry’s half-hearted chastising. Albus had given up. He didn’t care for Malfoy’s sake that Ron was blaming him, only that it detracted the attention from the actual culprit. They had not long been left alone when a tall boy in Quidditch gear with dark hair and green eyes came into the room and embraced Dominique Weasley. Albus recognised him as Gawain Knight who greeted the extensive Weasley-Potter clan politely before turning to the two eldest cousins.

–Professor Weylin requires the assistance of all prefects and the Head Girl down at the Quidditch pitches. A brawl has broken out between the teams and some of the students.” They all looked at him with puzzlement and he broke into a dazzling grin. –We won, by the way.” He turned to Victoire. –We were behind. Our two remaining Chasers were understandably a bit distracted and a tad aggressive but luckily Morwenna caught the Snitch in time.” Roxanne and Louis smiled at each other excitedly for a moment.

–Montague was furious, called Persephone a Mud - er - well, you know. Grey was so angry with Slytherin anyway - he’d already hit Stout with his Beater’s bat and given away a penalty - but that really set him off. He properly went for Montague. The professors and the other prefects are trying to break it up, but the fight’s sort of spread. Grey’s going to be in a lot of trouble for this - Sorensen wants him kicked off the team.”

–Sorensen can piss off.”

Everyone looked to see the source of the croaky yet emphatic statement. Albus’ face broke into a smile and for a second time his eyes filled with inexplicable tears. His brother caught it this time as he looked at his baby brother. –Calm down, Al, I thought I only had one little sister. You look terrible by the way.” Albus laughed, his reaction had been as he thought it would.

–Me? Wait ‘til you see the state you’re in, I’m definitely the good-looking one now.” James sniggered briefly before wincing slightly - the laugh probably hurt his reforming ribs.

–I don’t know, Al...I think I still have the edge.” Albus grinned widely at his brother. He wanted to be able to embrace him but knew that would cause him too much pain at the moment. His mother was pre-occupied with ruffling her son’s hair and applying multiple kisses to his face, something which James protested to in embarrassment.

Gawain, Victoire and Dominique left after telling James they were glad that he was okay. Not long after, Madam Pompfrey returned and told them that only the immediate family could stay due to incoming patients from the brawl, although relented when Louis insisted on remaining with his close friend and cousin. Ron, Hermione and Hugo promised that they would come back and visit very soon and the rest of the cousins returned to Gryffindor where they would soon be greeted by their fellow Gryffindors once the fight had been broken up.

–After I have attended to the other students and got them settled then I will administer with a Sleeping Draught to you. You have some painful mending to do which is better done unconscious. All being well, you should have full functionality in your limbs by tomorrow lunchtime when I will take care of the superficial injuries.” Madam Pompfrey addressed James directly before turning to his parents.

–Professor Weylin says he can set up spare beds for you elsewhere in the castle or we can spare one bed in here if you would prefer.”

–We’ll stay in here, thanks.” Ginny answered immediately and Harry nodded. James started protesting that it wasn’t necessary but his mother silenced him with a look.

–Do you want me to take Lily to Ron and Hermione’s?” Harry asked, taking his daughter’s hand as he did. Ginny nodded as Lily looked outraged.

–No way! I’m staying here with James and Al - Mum, please?” Her mother and father both shook their heads and she stamped her foot in a petulant way.

–Lil, could you do me a favour and bring me some of Grandma’s homemade tablet? I really miss it. You can bring it back for me tomorrow?” James asked her, smiling at his little sister. She interrupted her tantrum to cast her eldest brother a slightly sceptical look before breaking out into a grin. She laid her head lightly on his chest and put her arms around his neck gently. He rubbed her back and even though it appeared to cause him some pain, he made no sound.

Harry smiled at his son warmly and clasped his hand firmly but tenderly, promising to return soon. Lily hugged Albus tightly and he returned it, stroking her red hair briefly. Louis patted her on the head and she returned it with a grin and a quick squeeze before she left hand in hand with her father.

After all the commotion of the past couple of hours, Albus was almost surprised when he found himself only with his mother, brother and cousin for company. He knew it wouldn’t last for long and the commotion of various hexed and beaten-up students would soon be meeting them. Albus used this time to ponder something that didn’t seem to bother James as much as it should do; who would want to harm James? Albus knew he could be a bit of a prat, but nothing his brother had ever done could warrant this. He was the best Chaser on the team, but again, why would someone harm him for the sake of a single Quidditch game?

Then Albus heard the words of Morgana echo in his head: –It’s not optimism when you know you’re on the winning side.” Weylin could have been right, she may have just been engaging in the common Slytherin practice of goading and arrogance. Still, it was overly prophetic. As he watched his brother stuff his face with a chocolate frog that Louis had given him, gleefully showing them the picture of their dad on the card which accompanied it, he couldn’t imagine who would wish to hurt him. The Slytherins were the only suspects he had so he promised himself that at the first opportunity he would ask Morgana if she had heard of any plot. He inspected James’ cut face and swollen forehead thinking that he would have to learn some new hexes if he found the perpetrator. No one harms his brother and gets away with it.
Chapter Endnotes:

Thanks for reading - I didn't like doing that to James, but he'll be okay, I promise! Any reviews would be greatly welcome :)