Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Albus Potter and the Midnight Thief by Alice Mac

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A couple of weeks had passed since James’ trip to the hospital wing. He had recovered with impressive speed and without complaint, only lamenting the fact that Madam Pompfrey healed all the cuts and bruises so well - he was hoping for some battle scars. After the match a handful of students were admitted to the hospital wing including Montague and Alphie, the latter of whom insisted on having a bed next to James’. Their injuries were mostly superficial due to them opting for physical fighting over wand duelling; however, Alphie had managed to make Montague’s eyebrows grow into a particularly bushy mono-brow and his teeth enlarge. This made him look like even more of a Neanderthal than before the fight. Montague had in-turn broken Alphie’s nose and cut a long groove across his chest; a shallow but nasty looking cut. Alphie insisted on letting it leave a scar however - he thought it made him look cool.

Contrary to what Gawain had said, Alphie was not dismissed from the team. Due to what Professor Weylin described as ‘extremely stressful circumstances’ and the provocation from Montague, he was allowed to remain as Chaser for Gryffindor. That is not to say that he was not punished. He was forced to attend detention every Friday and Saturday night for a month and could not attend the next two Hogsmeade trips. Of course Albus knew that this would not matter to Alphie and his friends as they were, as of the start of the year, in possession of the famed Marauders’ Map which Albus’ father had spoken of many times before. They had stolen it from Harry’s desk drawer some months previously and could not wait to use it. Not all of the secret passages were on there; they had discovered two more the year before, but it was helpful for checking no one was in the general vicinity.

Albus had not managed to talk to Morgana alone since the incident. Whenever he saw her it was in lessons or she was talking to Tristan who, when he asked if his cousin had heard anything from the Slytherins concerning a plot against his brother, had become very tense and defensive. Albus guessed he would feel the same way if someone had asked him that question, but due to the nature of his family he would never have to find out.

Lessons were increasing in difficulty and some were falling behind. Albus managed to stay afloat however. He excelled in Defence against the Dark Arts and was adept at Charms and Potions, although Professor Sorensen would never admit the latter. The tension of work was beginning to build and Quidditch had not been the relief that had been anticipated. Therefore, Albus and the rest of his peers welcomed the distraction of Halloween, although he rather hoped it would not be like his father had described his first Halloween at Hogwarts; he was too tired to do battle with a troll.

Xander and Theron had been excited about the event all week and now it had come to the evening meal, and shortly the party, they were barely able to contain themselves. The ceiling in the Great Hall resembled the night’s sky with bats flying overhead. Hagrid had grown enormous plump pumpkins to adorn the hall and Fred Weasley had let some Fawkes Firecrackers off, lightly up the room with a sparking orange. Albus, Rose, Frank and Tristan arrived first out of their group of friends and quickly dug into their Halloween-themed meals.

A few minutes past before Theron entered with Xander and Effie trailing a bit behind him. They were giggling hysterically together and it did not take long for any of them to figure out the cause. Theron was marching over to their table clad in furry claw-imitation gloves, fake fuzzy facial hair and slightly ripped clothing. His eyes appeared more yellowish and he sported some animalistic fangs. Albus expected him to be embarrassed as he walked over to a group of plainly dressed people, but he merely grinned at them - an expression which did not suit his current appearance.

–After passing the first few confused faces, I’m guessing witches and wizards don’t dress up for Halloween?” Albus, Rose, Xander and Tristan all looked at him blankly while Effie laughed uncontrollably.

–I knew no one would dress up! Muggles dress up as witches and wizards: we’re already in costume.” Theron rolled his tawny eyes, making them look even scarier and took the seat between Xander and Cliona, who had just arrived with Polly and Tobias. She started initially at Theron’s appearance and gazed upon him as if he were quite mad.

–Thanks for the heads up, Eff!” He piled some sausages fashioned like fingers onto his plate before continuing. –You lot are no fun, dressing up’s the best bit of Halloween.” Rose frowned slightly in a curious way.

–Halloween sounds like quite a tradition for Muggles. We don’t treat it as such a big deal, but you know some people: any excuse for a party,” Rose said wearily. Tristan nodded with his mouth stuffed full, unable to get any words out. A voice from behind Albus alerted them to another’s presence.

–By ‘some people,’ Rose, you definitely don’t mean yourself, do you? Cause last I heard, you were going to the library tonight.” They turned to see James standing over them, a handful of Bramston Burke’s Baby Bats flying cyclically over his head. He was flanked, as usual by Alphie, Persie, Conall and Louis. Persie bore a simple sign of the festivities with drop earrings the shape of cobwebs. Upon seeing him, Rose flicked her eyes skyward.

–Only for a little bit. I’m going to the party as well, but it can’t all just be fun and games. I have one and a half essays to finish.” Albus would have reminded her that the homework was in fact in for next week and that most other people had three at this point, but he did not think it wise to remind her of that, especially as he wished to borrow her homework later.

–Oooh!” James mocked, holding his hands up. –That’s me told then. But seriously, Rosie, perhaps let it go for one night? The Gryffindor party is going to be really good tonight, believe me.” He shared a knowing smile with Alphie and Louis. Albus didn’t particularly want to know what he meant by that but was sure he was going to find out shortly. Rose ignored him and took a bite of her food. James instead turned his attention to Theron with a furrowed brow.

–Are you ill?” James asked Theron with what appeared to be a mixture of humour and genuine puzzlement. Theron, Effie and Persie laughed.

–Haha, nah, mate, I’m a werewolf.” He pretended to growl and made a face. James looked further confused but then smoothed his face over, assuming that the boy must be joking.

–Well, at least you’re tame,” he quipped before turning to his friends, clapping his hands once sharply. –Right, lads,” Persephone shot him a look, and he grinned at her, –and lady, we have some preparations to do.” Alphie nodded enthusiastically in agreement. As it was a Thursday, he was fortunate enough not to have one of his detentions on Halloween so was keen to have some fun and cause more mayhem. Persie punched him lightly in the arm with a barely-concealed smile.

–Hey, I’m not helping you get into more trouble! I think some of us have had their fill of it for a month,” she commented with a pointed smirk in Alphie’s direction. Alphie pouted before getting a wicked grin on his face. He grabbed Persephone by the waist and swung her up over his shoulder. Their friends laughed as she struggled weakly against his hold. Albus thought he saw a brief flicker of some conflicting emotion on his brother’s face, but no one else noticed.

–Persephone Cora, you are coming with us.” He turned to Albus and Rose. –See you soon - we just have some business to attend to.” He flashed them a smile before walking off with Persephone in tow, ignoring her feeble protests of ‘put me down’ in between bouts of laughter. Albus and his friends watched them leave for a moment, curious as to what they were planning. Albus guessed that it would involve a lot of Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes merchandise.

After some time they had just about all finished their desserts of Cauldron Cakes, Ghoul Ganache and jelly, they, as with some of their fellow Gryffindors, began to head back to the tower. Thankfully, due to the occasion, the Prefects would be patrolling the castle along with the Head Boy and Girl, meaning that Gryffindor was largely unsupervised. The exceptions were Neville’s occasional visits - although James said he usually turned a blind-eye - and Molly and her friend Fergal Herbert who were aspiring Prefects and the resident curmudgeons.

Albus hoped that they would not ruin the fun for everyone else tonight as he certainly knew that James and Fred would never forgive their cousin for foiling their plots. He was almost nervous however, as he gave the password to the portrait of the Fat Lady who was peeping out from behind a pillar. As they all entered, they noticed that the light coming from the common room was dimmer than usual but before they could become accustomed to that they were greeted by a pair of animated skeletons who asked if they could take any coats. Cliona screamed at this, grabbing Tobias tightly by the arm. Albus chuckled, knowing them to be produce from his uncle’s shop.

There was a slight clicking noise which Albus quickly attributed to the hundreds of spiders crawling across the walls and the swarm of bats flying above their heads. Of course, he knew that if you grabbed one it would return to motionless plastic due to the charm on them. As they entered the common room edible spiders’ webs adorned the walls and ceilings and more skeletons were dancing along to Harrowing Halloween by The Lycanthropes (the world’s only werewolf band). There was a ‘scare booth’ set up which supposedly exposed you to your greatest fear. There were flaming dragons flying around, occasionally melting the edible cobwebs, as well as a talking severed head which Albus had not seen before but assumed was another product of his uncle’s.

Albus thought the overall effect was more comical than anything. It seemed to him to be more of scene to frighten Muggles rather than those born into the wizarding world who were used to such things. It didn’t stop several members of the party from looking rather perturbed by it all. As Albus looked around at the group he noticed that Cliona looked on the verge of a nervous-breakdown, Theron - usually so calm and collected - was casting some furtive glances at the bat-infested ceiling and Effie was gripping Tristan’s back, using him as a shield between her and the skeletons.

Contrastingly, Xander sidled up to Albus and clapped him on the shoulder. –Ha! Your brother’s done a good job here!” He turned to Frank with a grin. –Your dad better not ruin our fun,” he said jokingly. Frank elbowed him in response before tucking into the assortment of food on the table beside them. As Frank stuffed a Fondant Frankenstein in his mouth, James came bounding up to them.

–Welcome, young Gryffindors, to our House of Horrors!” Albus raised his eyebrows at his brother as he thrust a Butterbeer into his hand. James tutted as he saw his brother’s expression. –Calm down little brother, it doesn’t have any alcohol in it!” He narrowed his eyes as if he was thinking. –Well, I don’t think so anyway. If it does, it’s very little.”

This time it was Rose’s turn to tut. –He’s eleven, James!” she said, rolling her eyes and nudging Albus’ elbow to give the drink back to James. He didn’t, though, feeling indignant at being told what to do.

–Nearly twelve,” James said dismissively, as if that made it any better. Rose gave him a hard look, putting her hands on her hips in a manner reminiscent of her paternal grandmother. James flicked his eyes skyward and took the Butterbeer out of Albus’ hands. –But if you insist on being so annoyingly sensible, Rosie...” He thrust the goblet into a passing fourth year’s hands instead and picked up a glass of pumpkin juice from the side before offering it to his brother.

He turned to Rose. –Does that pass the boring test?” he asked sweetly. Rose stuck her tongue out at him and smiled. He put his arm around her and pulled her into a one-armed squeeze before releasing her.

–Help yourself to food and drinks - we’ve got everything basically. There will be entertainment throughout the evening and no one is allowed to go to bed before midnight. Well, that’s not an actual rule, but I say so.” With that he gave them a quick wave and went to join his usual crowd, making a group of second year girls laugh as he danced with one of the skeletons to ‘The Magic in You’ by Carmina Rhapsody. He noticed that Elena and Una were laughing too. Even Cliona and Effie managed a giggle despite their terror.

Albus knew that this was the sort of effect his brother had on people. He didn’t mind it exactly. In fact, he respected it. James’ ability to engage and be a magnet for attention and admiration was one that Albus himself wished that he had. He did, however, feel a tad overlooked at times. James was such a dominant personality that it was difficult to look beyond him. It was even difficult for James himself to leave the pantomime of James Potter behind and just be Albus and Lily’s brother. When he did, though, Albus loved him, and he Albus - though they would never admit it to each other.

An hour or so passed and Effie announced that she was going up to her room as she was tired and she wanted to finish practicing the charm ‘Wingardium Leviosa’ for Professor Nimble. Albus suspected that it was more the fact that she was not entirely enjoying the party. Every time a fake bat flew too low she would grab the nearest person and when the talking head spoke to her she backed into an unsuspecting Tristan, causing them both to fall over. Rose had since forgotten her desire to go to the library and was having a very intense-looking conversation with Persephone and Lucy about how James and his friends had set this entire display up in such a short amount of time, particularly what charms were used on the bats and spiders.

Frank, Cliona and Tobias were lounging on one of the large red velvety sofas, laughing at a joke Frank had told while Xander, Tristan and Theron were watching Fred and Alaric curiously as they set up Gryffindor’s exclusive firework display. Albus stood with Una, Polly and Elena, barely listening to their conversation when James beckoned him over. Albus excused himself and walked up to his brother who was leaning on the back of one of the sofas, talking to Alphie, Conall and Louis. He was greeted by a nudge on the shoulder and a grin.

–So, what do you think of our little party, Al?” He gave him a mischievous grin as he flicked his eyes over to the place Albus had come from. –You certainly looked like you were having fun with those three. Good to know you like girls, I suppose; I had my doubts.” Albus didn’t know what he was talking about at first and followed James’ line of vision to Una, Polly and Elena. He rolled his eyes and screwed up his face.

–Eugh, shove off, James! They’re my friends,” Albus said more grumpily than he had intended.

–Something even more surprising: you have friends,” James quipped. Albus shot him a withering look and picked up the cup of Butterbeer next to him. James raised his eyebrows as he watched his brother take a sip. –You better not let your keeper see you do that! What would Rosie say?” Albus ignored him and instead greeted Persephone who had just walked over. She smiled at him kindly and gestured in the direction of Fred and Alaric.

–I think we’re in for a firework display soon. Hopefully they’ll manage not to set fire to anything.” Her eyes twinkled as she spoke. Upon seeing the glass in Albus’ hands she gave him a slightly disapproving look and took it from him. –James, stop corrupting the boy.” Albus did not particularly like being referred to as ‘the boy’ but could tell she was joking so let it go.

–Persie! Stop being such a spoilsport,” James complained teasingly. Persephone eyed him carefully before downing the whole glass of Butterbeer with as much grace as was possible. James widened his eyes before smoothing out his face into a wide grin. Louis and Alphie laughed and the latter’s eyes lit up at the change in music.

–The Grindylows! I bloody love them,” he said excitedly, setting his pumpkin juice down (which smelt oddly of alcohol) and grabbed Persephone’s hand. –Persie, may I have this dance?” He did not wait for an answer but dragged her over to where the skeletons were dancing with some other students, mostly fifth years. She giggled as he wrapped one arm around her waist and clutched her hand with his free hand, swaying them both vigorously side to side. Louis and Conall laughed and went over to two pretty third year girls and started dancing with them. James remained next to Albus, picking up the drink that Alphie had set down and drinking it dry.

Albus looked at his brother shrewdly and James elbowed him and said in response: –Oh shut up, Al.” The emptied drink refilled itself and James walked off to talk to an auburn-haired third year girl that Albus vaguely recognised as Veda Vorenus, who giggled and fluttered her eyelashes when James asked her to dance. Albus watched his brother for a couple of minutes as he twirled Veda, causing her smooth curls to whip round her beautiful face. He watched James’ slightly bored expression as he did so and noted his eyes wandering elsewhere.

He was interrupted in his observations by Tristan and Frank who came up and clapped him on the back. –Wake up, Al!” Tristan said loudly as he munched on a bit of Cauldron Cake. Albus grinned at his friends and sat down on the arm of the chair facing them.

–Fred says the fireworks are ready. They should be starting any minute-” The end of Frank’s sentence was lost however in the loud pop of the first firecracker going off. It was the shape of a twisting snake and made a snap at its audience before dispersing into sparks. It was followed by whirls of sparkles that rotated in the air interspersed with the images of pumpkins formed from embers. There were many ‘oohs’ and ‘ahhs’ from the audience as they watched the display. Images of werewolves, bats and giants were lit up in the sparks. Muggle-borns like Theron were especially enraptured and Albus wished that Effie had waited just a bit longer so that she could have seen this.

Throughout the display, not one person could tear their eyes away from the spectacle and as it came to a close with the largest firework yet - a large orange roaring dragon which blew embers - the crowd cheered gleefully and Fred and Alaric were lost in a crowd of admirers. Albus threw his cousin a quick smile before his face disappeared into the throng. Another one of his cousins, Rose, approached him, smiling but looking rather tired.

–That was amazing, wasn’t it? I’m surprised Dad and George let Fred have that much stock.” Rose yawned. Albus was going to suggest that perhaps ‘let’ wasn’t quite the right word but Rose continued. –I’m glad I stayed up for that, but I think I’m going to head upstairs. I didn’t realise how tired I was and I want to get up early tomorrow morning to practice Professor Nimble’s charm.” Albus thought that it was rather unnecessary for her to practice at all considering she had practically perfected it in the lesson but said nothing. He gave her a quick hug and bade her goodnight. She said goodbye to the rest of their friends and to James who attempted to persuade her to stay in vain and made her way up the spiral staircase to the girls’ dormitory.

The music restarted and it was the biggest hit of The Weird Sisters - ‘It Must Be Amortentia’. Those who knew it well were very eager to get up and dance to it. Frank, Xander and Tobias got up to dance with the skeletons. Theron was still not sure enough of them to do so and instead pretended to be very deep in conversation with Roxanne about her brother’s firework display. Tristan and Albus hung back as neither of them was overly keen on dancing. They were given little choice though when Cliona and Una came up and dragged Tristan by the hands to where the group was dancing and Elena and Polly did the same with Albus.

–Elena - Apollonia - you let me go!” Albus struggled initially but knew it was futile once he was wedged between the various dancing students. Elena laughed airily at him, her cat-like eyes mischievous.

–Lighten up, Albus! This is my favourite song, so you’re going to dance with me and like it,” she said bossily and he rolled his eyes sarcastically but did as she said. As he held both girls’ hands and twirled them round clumsily, causing them all to giggle childishly, their fun was interrupted by a tap on Albus’ shoulder. He turned to see the source and saw a slightly concerned looking Rose staring back at him. He excused himself from dancing with Polly and Elena, who quickly replaced him with a rather worried-looking Frank, and walked over to the other side of the room with Rose.

–Rose, what’s up? I thought you went to bed?” Albus asked curiously. She nodded in assent, biting her lip anxiously.

–I did. But when I got up there, I expected Effie to be there, possibly asleep. Only, she isn’t up there and her bed is still made. You haven’t seen her down here, have you?” Rose glanced around as she spoke. Albus shook his head. He knew that he hadn’t seen his raven-haired friend. She wasn’t with any of the members of their group and if Rose hadn’t spotted her by now, she almost certainly wasn’t in the common room.

–Al, her outdoor cloak’s missing. You don’t think she’s gone - I don’t know - on a walk or something? She’d get into so much trouble if she was caught, what with all the Prefects on duty.” Her blue eyes looked particularly big as she said this and Albus gripped her upper arm in what was supposed to be a comforting way. Noticing their exchange, Tristan and Frank managed to extricate themselves from their respective dancing partners to see what was happening.

–Hey, Rose, decided to re-join the party? Good choice!” Frank exclaimed, grinning cheerily. This faded quickly when he saw the expression on Rose’s face. –What’s wrong?” he asked with more concern.

–It’s Effie - she’s not in her room and she’s not down here. Her outdoor cloak’s missing and I think she might be having a bit of a wander or something. What with the Prefects being ultra-zealous today in particular, I just don’t want her to get into trouble.” Tristan nodded uneasily before speaking.

–So, what’s the plan?” he asked firmly, his eyes on Rose. Rose, however, had her eyes on Albus who widened his own in confusion. It appeared that his cousin wanted him to come up with the plan, which was ridiculous as she was the brains in this group. However, one thing Albus did have in abundance was cunning and resourcefulness and an ability to think calmly even in difficult times which Rose did not possess. It was these abilities which gave him an idea, the only one that would work - providing he could persuade his brother to help.

Albus marched towards his brother, carefully dodging Elena and Polly who tried to capture him again, and tapped him on the shoulder. He got no response at first as James was leaning against the wall with Veda who was talking very animatedly. He tapped him for a second time, harder this time, and said his name. James turned and smiled wearily at his brother. He didn’t seem too annoyed by the interruption. He excused himself from Veda who pouted slightly before flouncing off to dance with Louis.

–What’s up, little brother?” James inquired with a distinct lack of interest. Albus grimaced slightly at the commonly used endearment. He had mostly become accustomed to it, but it wasn’t his favourite nickname.

–Effie’s missing. We think she might be wandering the castle - if so, she’ll be in a lot of trouble if she’s caught.” Albus informed him as concisely as possible. James frowned as if considering something.

–Effie? The pretty black-haired one?” James asked. Albus raised his eyebrows slightly before nodding. James’ expression grew vaguely bored again. –What has that got to do with me?” he asked, barely disguising the apathy in his voice. James ruffled his hair and cast a look in the direction of his friends who were all laughing and dancing together. Albus felt his brother’s attention waning so he spoke quickly.

–I was wondering,” he started firmly but politely, –if we could take a look at where she was on the Marauder’s Map – just to check she’s not anywhere where she might get caught.” By this time Rose, Frank and Tristan had followed him and caught the essence of Albus’ question, causing them to stare expectantly at James. He gave them all a slight roll of the eyes before pulling a rather weathered piece of parchment out of his robe’s pockets. Albus stretched his hand out so that James could place the parchment into it. Instead, all he got was a short laugh.

–As if I’m giving this to you! Maybe when you’re older, Al. Besides, I’ll be able to find her better – I’ve had a couple of months to practice scanning for particular people.” Albus nodded grudgingly. It did make sense, but he sorely wished that he could have a go with it. James pulled out his wand and aimed it at the parchment, muttering: –I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” The greetings of their grandfather and his friends appeared in swirled writing upon the parchment but Albus did not have enough time to read it properly as James was hurriedly unfolding it and scouring the page for a sole name.

He was silent for what felt like a couple of minutes. Rose’s interruption of ‘Do you want me to have a look?’ was met with a signal of zipping one’s lips, indicating that James did not appreciate the query. A couple more minutes passed and the furrow in James’ brow grew deeper and deeper until at last he made a noise that sounded vaguely like ‘huh.’ He looked up at them with a slightly bewildered expression.

–That’s weird...I can’t see her anywhere on here,” he said incredulously. Rose tutted and spoke in her best know-it-all voice.

–I told you, you should have let one of us have a look.” James gave her a scathing look. He was already in quite a bad mood but not being able to use his new toy correctly seemed only to worsen it. Albus was about to extend his hand out to take the map from his brother but before he could, he noticed James’ expression grow more confused.

–Well, that’s not good,” he said bemusedly under his breath. Albus widened his eyes at this, frustrated at his brother for not elaborating on what wasn’t good.

–What’s that supposed to mean?” Albus asked exasperatedly. James didn’t react but merely squinted at the parchment for a moment before turning on his heel and taking a few steps towards his dormitory. –James? James! What are you doing?” Albus called after him. James held up a single finger to indicate he was going to be one moment. Frank and Tristan looked at each other confusedly and Rose appeared a bit strained.

–Where’s he going? I thought he was going to help us!” Rose complained. Albus shrugged, keeping his focus on the bottom of the staircase which, after only a minute, James appeared at. He marched towards them carrying a thin fluid sheet of material and what looked like a bracelet. Instead of stopping in front of them he walked straight passed them towards the portrait hole and subtly beckoned them to follow him as he walked. He stopped just short of the portrait hole and shoved the swathe of fabric into Albus’ hands. He rubbed the fine cloth between his thumb and index finger. It was difficult to describe the sensation. It was like dipping your fingers into running water and was so thin that you could barely believe it had substance to it.

–It’s dad’s old invisibility cloak.” James said by way of explanation. –He said we could both use it this year in case of emergency - I think this qualifies.” Albus didn’t register the last part of his brother’s sentence but continued caressing the material. He couldn’t quite believe that this was the same invisibility cloak that his father, aunt and uncle had used for so many of their adventures. To hold it now made him feel proud and excited about what was going to happen next.

–What? This is an emergency now?” Tristan asked anxiously, glancing furtively at the cloak in Albus’ hands. James didn’t answer but addressed his brother.

–You four should be able to fit under the cloak considering your size,” he stated shortly. He held up the gilded bracelet with a red jewel in the middle. –This is a new invention of Uncle George and Uncle Ron’s. It’s a Camouflage Cuff. It doesn’t render the wearer invisible exactly, just sort of blends them into the environment if I press the jewel in. Its charm is temporary but I don’t need to use it for too long.” He slipped it over his wrist and wrinkled his nose at it. –They could have chosen something more...manly.” James complained slightly.

–I think it suits you.” Albus quipped. James pulled a face at him and clipped him over the back of the head. He indicated towards the invisibility cloak.

–Less of that, thank you. Put the cloak on, we’re good to go,” James said as he prepared to swing open the door of the portrait hole. He gave one last sweep of the room with his eyes before he did so.

–Go where, though, James?” Rose asked impatiently as the portrait swung open and James pressed the red gem downwards, causing him to disappear momentarily. If Albus concentrated really hard he could vaguely see the figure of his brother, though he was the same colour and detail as his surroundings. His voice sounded as a hiss in the darkness.

–The Forbidden Forest, where else?” Albus noted Rose’s sharp intake of breath as he threw the cloak over them all. Albus knew that Rose was not one for breaking the rules. This venture broke several of them in one go. Albus thought it best to give her less time to think about it so increased his pace so that they would all have to fall in time with him. He could hear the quiet breaths of his older brother not far in front of them as they wound their way through the castle.

For the most part they managed to avoid discovery. However, on the third floor corridor near to the Ravenclaw common room they had to silently creep past one of their Prefects who was annoyingly alert considering the time. At one point when they passed Professor Merric in the corridor they thought they were done for when Frank stepped on Rose’s foot causing a slight whimper. Merric dismissed this, however, when Peeves came hurtling down the corridor, fleeing from the Bloody Baron.

They made it all the way outside before they met anyone else. Even though Dominique Weasley and her boyfriend Gawain Knight were supposed to be carrying out their prefect duties, they somehow managed to find the time to engage in a very passionate clinch under the light of the full moon. Albus heard James make a noise like he was retching but luckily the pair did not hear it as, at around the same time, a bird squawked noisily, making them start. Once they were certain they were in no danger they shrugged, giggled and resumed their previous activities.

Once they were a safe distance from the couple, Albus heard James’ hushed voice telling them to stop. Albus halted abruptly, as did Tristan. Rose and Frank were not quite ready and bumped into the back of both Albus and Tristan, causing more commotion than the situation called for. Albus could practically hear James rolling his eyes.

–Smooth. Before we left Gryffindor Tower, the map showed Effie teetering on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. The map doesn’t show the whole forest - it’s quite extensive - that’s why I didn’t see her before.” James explained quickly. Albus nodded, forgetting his brother couldn’t see them. A question bothered Albus, though, but before he could ask it, Tristan interrupted.
–So, if she’s in the forest, why aren’t we going there?” he asked edgily, making it clear he felt James was wasting time. A light snort could be heard coming from James’ direction.

–I said she was in the Forbidden Forest. Now, she’s heading right this way.” Albus squinted into the darkness but could see nothing. –In five, four, three, two-” before James could finish his countdown, Albus whipped the invisibility cloak off them. Upon seeing them, James pressed the jewel, making himself visible before muttering ‘Lumos’ under his breath.

Immediately in front of him - almost touching his wand tip - was Effie. Only, it wasn’t quite. At first glance she appeared to be the same, but if you looked closer at her face illuminated in the light, you could see that not everything was entirely right. There was a slight bruise on her forehead that had not been there before and there was a lone leaf and bur in her ebony locks. Most worrying of all were her eyes. Her eyes which were usually so full of fire were now dull and vacant. She did not even flinch when the illumined wand was pointed in her direction.

–Effie! Where have you been?! We were so worried about you! James said you were in the Forbidden Forest - what in Merlin’s name were you doing in there? Do you have any idea how much trouble you’d be in if were caught?” Rose ranted at her in a quiet but equally powerful whisper. Albus was even a bit guilty and he didn’t have anything to be guilty for. Effie’s reaction was not what Rose was hoping for, nor was it what anyone would have expected.

–I’m fine,” she said dismissively, missing the point entirely. –I have to go, I have somewhere to be,” she intoned dully, attempting to side step James and failing. She looked into his eyes now. She did not look angry. It was worse – there was no emotion in her face.

–Where do you need to be exactly, Effie? Can we come?” James asked as if he was talking to a small child or a crazy person. Albus wondered why he was doing that but did not ask.

–I have somewhere to be. I need to find out where he’s hidden it.” Effie explained as if what she was saying was perfectly rational. Rose and Frank looked at each other with anxious and completely dumbfounded expressions. Tristan seemed to be taking James’ lead in how to speak to her as he said:

–Where who’s hidden what, Eff? Maybe we can help you look for it?” Tristan suggested kindly. She looked to him and for the first time since the start of the conversation, there was a flicker of something behind her eyes. However, it was extinguished almost as quickly as it had begun.

–I don’t need help, thank you. He’s hidden it. It’s not his; I need to get it back,” Effie intoned once again. She side-stepped James successfully this time but was not fast enough to duck past Albus who stood directly in front of her, their chests nearly touching. He looked down at her and spoke, abandoning the tactic his brother and Tristan had attempted.

–Bloody hell, Eff, what’s wrong with you? Just come back to Gryffindor Tower – you can talk to Professor Weylin about it in the morning for all I care.” Albus said fiercely and slightly louder than he intended. Effie cocked her head to the side.

–He knows where it is - I need to get it back. Can you please move?” There was no aggression in Effie’s tone but Albus almost wished there was to make his reaction more justifiable.

–Who is ‘he?’ Actually, don’t tell me, I don’t need to know. We just need to get you back up to the castle now.” Albus made to take her hand but at the same time she was reaching her hand into her robe, a harder expression on her face.

What happened next was all rather a flash. Before Effie could delve into her robes, the main source of light was extinguished, leaving only the moon. An instant later the forceful but quiet mutter of: ‘Stupefy!’ was heard by everyone. Albus felt a body fall against his own and he instinctively caught it around the waist, holding the dead-weight against himself with some difficulty. It was only when the light was glowing again that Albus could fully take in what had happened.

The lifeless body in his arms was that of Effie, her black hair falling in her delicate face. Albus brushed it away absently before glaring at his brother. –What the bloody hell did you do that for?” Albus exclaimed. James looked back at him calmly and Albus noticed that Tristan too wore the same expression.

–It was necessary. You were un-armed and not ready for an attack. She was about to pull out her wand and curse you, most likely.” Albus shook his head, bending his knees as he hitched Effie up slightly.

–Why would she do that? We’re friends.” James rolled his eyes, looking at Effie almost pityingly.

–What does friendship matter when you are under the influence of the Imperius Curse?” James asked rhetorically. There was no reaction to his words at first. His friends were stunned themselves it seemed. Only Tristan nodded in assent. It bothered Albus that his friend was supporting James’ stupid theory and he scoffed at it.

–Oh, come on, James, you’ve never seen anyone under the Imperius Curse! And who would have done it and why? It makes no sense!” James narrowed his eyes for a moment before nodding.

–Yes, it makes no sense. But that doesn’t mean it’s not true,” he said simply. When he merely received frowns in return from Rose, Frank and Albus he elaborated. –You know Effie, you spend a lot of time with her - have you ever known her to look that out of it? Or be that focused on something that she can’t explain? Or to try and attack you? Al - come on - you have to see! She’s not herself.” Albus said nothing, he just looked down at the girl slumped in his arms. Her head was tipping back and her hair cascaded downwards. Her eyes were closed lightly - she could have been sleeping.

He finally looked up to see them all staring back at him. –We better take her to the Hospital Wing. She may still have the curse on her when she wakes up.
We should tell Professor Weylin what she said - maybe he can make some sense of it,” Albus said hollowly. It wasn’t until that moment that he realised how tired he was and it was not helped by being the sole bearer of the weight of an eleven year old girl. As if he read Albus’ mind James put the Marauder’s Map back in his robes pocket and held out his arms to receive Effie. He slung her inelegantly over one shoulder. Frank went to throw the cloak back over all of them when James stopped them.

–Is there much point doing that now?” Frank began to ask why ever not when James rolled his eyes. –We’re marching up through the grounds of Hogwarts in the middle of the night with an unconscious girl, several banned items and with no real explanation as to why. As much as I relish getting away with stuff, I see no getting out of this.” He began to march towards the castle, as quickly as he could considering his burden, but he halted. –On second thoughts, use the cloak. There’s no need you getting into trouble. I’ll just say I came by myself.” They protested vociferously. James merely shushed them and said in an undertone to Albus and Rose:

–If mum, dad, Ron and Hermione find out I’ve landed you with detention - cause believe me, we’d get plenty of those - I’ll get into even more trouble than if I was doing it alone. You’d be doing me a favour by pretending you weren’t there. It’s not like she’s going to remember.” At this James patted Effie on the small of her back. Albus couldn’t help but feel uneasy about this plan but James was fixing him with such a determined look that he could hardly protest. He stared straight back at his brother.

–Thank you, James,” Albus said sincerely. James waved his free hand dismissively.

–Like I said, I’m doing it for purely selfish reasons,” James said swiftly. Albus did not believe him for a moment but did not comment. –Get that cloak over you now, for Circe’s sake, before Dominique and Gawain come up for air and notice us all standing here.” It did not take long for Frank to obey the older boy and shroud the four first years with the great swathe of silky material.

James exhaled heavily, adjusted Effie slightly and carried on towards the castle. They did not follow him at first, hoping not to be caught up in the fuss that would ensue due to James’ midnight wandering’s with an unconscious first year draped over him. As Albus stared at the receding figures, he had so many questions racing through his mind. Why was Effie out of bed in the first place? Who, if anyone, had cursed her? What were they after? Who was the mysterious ‘he’ who had an object so important that it was worth using an Unforgivable Curse for? What sort of person would tear away at their soul to obtain such an object? How would Albus ever repay James? What would Effie remember when she woke up...? All these thoughts raced round and round, chasing each other. Albus’ head began to hurt with the pressure. He didn’t understand how any of them could be answered. However, if he had been looking - really observing everything he had seen and heard that night - he would have had more answers than he could have imagined.
Chapter Endnotes:

Thanks for reading! Please tell me what you thought of it :)