Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

High by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Scorpius stared at Lily. The utter belief in her parents and yet the promise to be there for him made his heart thump almost painfully.

“If we get caught-”

“We could be expelled,” she muttered. “Yes, I know that, but if you’re set on going now and not waiting, then “”

“I can’t wait!” Scorpius exclaimed. The crowd of third years started giggling again and one of them pointed in the direction of the toilets. With a malevolent glare, Scorpius raised his wand towards them; they scarpered.

“We could go in the morning,” Lily continued. “It will be much easier to get out and back in because the doors won’t be locked.”

“No,” Scorpius replied decisively. “I need to speak to dad tonight.” Gently he twisted a lock of her hair between his fingers. “Tomorrow, your brother’s report will be on the back pages of The Sunday Prophet and that is not going to go down well.”

“They’re not going to like me at all, are they?” she said, and sighed sadly.

“Mum will be fine and Dad will get over it,” he muttered. “But if I want him to talk to me, I need to pick my moment.”

“Will he know what happened? He would only have been a second year.”

He wasn’t sure. His dad often spoke of his school days, usually with fondness, but there were gaps about which he said very little. His sixth year, he spoke of only in terms of the subjects he took and learning Apparition. “I don’t know,” he replied, “but he’s the only person I can think of to ask. Granddad’s still not fully recovered, and if I storm in there telling him what people are accusing him of, then it could make him worse.” Feeling drained he held his head in his hands. “Sorry, I know he’s hated, but “”

“He’s your granddad,” she insisted. “Of course you love him.”

Hearing footsteps on the stairs, both turned their heads, then Scorpius looked away. Ginny Potter gently picked her way towards them and then crouched next to Lily.

“Scorpius,” she murmured. “I haven’t been very fair on you.” She tried a smile, but Scorpius didn’t look at her, just carried on staring at a space in front of him. “Harry’s just reminded me that his godfather was judged by his family connections far too often. And whatever my feelings are about your granddad, it really is something that belongs in the past.”

She was apologising; he could hear the words and knew he should be grateful, but the only thought in his mind was that she was wrong. His grandfather may have been allied to the Dark Lord, but it had been a desire to protect his family, he’d always been told. Fear had played a huge part in his father’s decision to become a Death Eater and he knew his grandfather was the same. However, now was not the time for debate. Slowly and deliberately, he faced her. He didn’t smile “ that would be too much “ but when he spoke, it was in calm, measured tones.

“Thank you, Mrs Potter. I’m sorry if I upset you.”

Next to him, he could feel Lily stiffen. She patently didn’t believe his tone, but Ginny, after studying him for a moment, nodded and then stood up. Ruffling Lily’s hair, and then catching Harry’s hand, she smiled. “I need to find James if he’s ever going to file this report on time. Enjoy the party. I expect it will go on into the early hours.”

“Thanks, Mum,” Lily replied when Scorpius said nothing. “We’re might take a walk first before Filch locks the doors.”

Harry was watching them both. His eyes switched from Lily to Scorpius, who stared blankly back. “Let me know about the clerk position, Scorpius,” he said mildly. “I’ll let you get over your N.E.W.T.s and then send me an owl, okay?”

“Sure,” Scorpius replied politely. He felt numb, unable to think properly and the earlier excitement he’d felt because he hadn’t been rejected had long disappeared.

Letting go of Ginny’s hand, Harry beckoned to Scorpius. He stood up and stepped across to him, knowing that their exchange was being watched by both mother and daughter.

“Scorpius, I don’t blame you for not wanting to believe me,” Harry murmured. “I would defend my family to the death.”

“I ... don’t want to talk about this,” Scorpius replied, desperately wanting Harry to leave so he could get to Zabini’s study. “I’m fine.”

“I’m not sure about that,” Harry said. He sighed. “Look, I just wanted to remind you that your application success was based on you and your strengths. As Lavender so eloquently reminded us all, the past should not be a legacy that drags us down.”

“Yep,” Scorpius replied, feigning nonchalance, but inside he could feel a lump forming in his throat. “Mr Potter “”

“Harry.”

“Uh, right, Harry, I will think very carefully about it. I promise.”

“That’s all I ask,” he replied, and then stepping back towards Ginny, he took her hand and they started to walk away.

Scorpius leant against the wall watching them both leave. He could sneak off now, whilst Lily was saying goodbye. That way he wouldn’t have to involve her. However, Ginny Potter’s words came back to haunt him. She’d wanted Lily in the room, so he couldn’t twist her words. Scorpius needed Lily to believe him. She had to hear the truth herself.

“Ready,” he muttered, when she came back to him.

She nodded. “I’m surprised you waited.”

Scorpius shrugged and with her hand in his started to walk towards the dungeons. “I wouldn’t dare stop you,” he replied, allowing himself a grin. Gnawing his lower lip, he slowed his pace as they approached the study. “Is he in there?”

Lily pulled out the Map, tapped it with her wand and muttered something. Instantly, it came alive and a myriad of dots started moving around the castle. “He’s not there,” she murmured. “It’s empty.”

“Good. Then let’s get going.” He muttered the password, smiling in pleasure when the door swung open and then strode towards the fireplace, reaching for the Floo powder jar.

“Scorpius, wait,” Lily whispered.

“What?” He turned his head, a shade irritably because if she were going to try to dissuade him then he’d go without her whatever the consequences.

“I can’t go like this,” she hissed. “You dad knows what I look like and you said you needed to catch him at the right moment.”

“Oh ...” Scorpius paused. “I could Disillusion you, but Dad might still realise you’re there. He has a pretty good sixth sense about that sort of thing. Means I can’t get away with much.”

“Transfigure me, then,” she whispered. “Change my hair colour, at least. Your dad won’t be suspicious if you introduce me as someone else, like ... um ... I don’t know, Edith Bulstrode.”

Scorpius snorted. “I’d have to change you into a pig to resemble her. Besides, Dad knows her. Um ... I’ll make you some random Hufflepuff. Doesn’t Ben have a sister?”

“Felicity, yes. She’s in my Herbology class.”

Tapping her on the head, Scorpius changed her hair to a dark blonde, as close to Ben’s as he could imagine. She looked strange, her face washed out by the lack of vibrancy in her hair, and he didn’t have time to do anything else because somewhere from the Zabinis’ quarters he could hear his professor and Madam Bones talking.

“Quick,” he muttered, fumbling with the lid of the jar. Throwing the powder onto the dying flames of the fire, Scorpius grabbed Lily and jumped into the grate.

It was a tight squeeze, but Lily was slight and he held her close as they whooshed from the Zabinis’ study and towards his parents’ house. He was sure they’d be up, sitting together in their lounge, perhaps having a drink. He’d have to think of an excuse for visiting, maybe he could say he was missing them ... No that wouldn’t work. His dad would smell a rat and his mum would burst out laughing. Baby Zabini, he thought, I could tell them the news.

Together they landed, cramped in his parents’ hearth. Scorpius sidestepped out, holding his hand out to her, not yet wishing to turn and face his parents. But as she landed in his arms, blonde hair covered in dust, he was struck by the silence in the room.

“Master Scorpius!” exclaimed the squeaking voice of Truckle. “What is you doing here? Truckle is not sending the owl to Hogwarts yet.”

“What owl? And where are my parents?” he asked, confused. By his side, Lily began to cough; Truckle bustled forwards. “Master Scorpius’ young lady is not well. Truckle will fetch her a drink.”

“Truckle!” He tried to stop her, but to no avail as she’d already trotted out of the room. “Mum freed her,” he muttered to Lily, “so she does what she wants now. Uhm ... take a seat. Mum and Dad must be out.” He glanced nervously at the door, wondering what impulse had led him here with her tonight. “Perhaps we should go. Dad’s not here.”

“Truckle is bakin’ today,” the house elf said, wheezing slightly as she tottered back into the room carrying a tray with biscuits and two glasses of juice. “Now, Master Scorpius. You needs to take a seat and wait for -”

“Where is my dad?” he asked, in a less friendly tone.

Unperturbed, Truckle set the tray onto the table and handed Lily her juice. “Truckle is thinkin’ you is the young lady that likes apples. The young master is always askin’ for apple puffs to be sent to Hogwarts. Master Scorpius has never been fond of them before.”

“Er.” Lily started to giggle. “I am, yes, thank you.”

“Where is the Mistress?” Scorpius pleaded, hoping this change of tack would stop her fussing.

“The Master and Mistress is visitin’ the Master’s father,” Truckle said, pursing her lips into a thin line. “Truckle has been told to send an owl to Hogwarts in the morning. The Mistress is most insistent that Master Scorpius is not bothered by this tonight.”

“Bothered by what?” he said softly, although he felt like screaming at her evasion. “Truckle, you’re a free elf. You can tell me whatever you want.”

She took a breath and straightened the hem of her apron. “Master Scorpius’ grandfather is ill. The Master and Mistress is staying there.”

His stomach, which had been churning at the thought of facing his dad, lurched with fear. “How ill?”

“The Mistress isn’t tellin’ Truckle, but the Master is lookin’ sad,” she mumbled.

“What were you supposed to tell me in the message, Truckle?” he asked softly.

“To come home,” she said, and stretching out her thin arm, she patted him awkwardly on the hand.

Scorpius sank back into the sofa, his eyes unseeing as images of his grandfather in his hospital bed crowded his brain. “He was getting better. He even sent me a letter last week,” he whispered, remembering guiltily that he hadn’t replied to the old man’s good wishes for the Quidditch match.

“You should go to him,” Lily murmured, placing her drink down on the table. “I’ll ... um ... go back to Hogwarts. I’ll tell the professor you got a message.” Pulling the Map out of her pocket, she walked across to the hearth, then stopped. “I’ll wait for a bit.”

“Why?” asked Scorpius, wondering what the problem was.

“Professor Zabini’s in his study with the Headmistress,” she explained, and walked back to the sofa. “Look, it doesn’t matter, I can wait until they’ve gone, or until you get back.”

Scorpius ran his hand through his hair trying to work out what to do. She could stay here, but he had no idea how long he’d be, and he could hardly keep dashing back to check on her. “I’ll Apparate you to Hogsmeade,” he said at last, “and then we’ll walk back.”

“You should be at Malfoy Manor,” she urged. “Really, Scorpius, I can get back by myself.”

“I can’t...” He trailed off. “I know I should be there, but I’m not supposed to know, am I?” Wearily he rubbed the bridge of his nose, feeling a headache coming on. It had been so simple. Floo to his dad’s, ask him about the Chamber, get Lily to understand the truth, then get back. His dad wouldn’t have got him into trouble and might even have helped him get back. But now ... it didn’t seem important.

“Come on,” he muttered, taking her hand. “I’ll get us back to Hogsmeade.”

But as he grasped her waist and prepared to turn, there was a loud whoosh from the fire.

“Scorpius!”What in the name of Merlin are you doing here?” Draco shouted, turning furiously on the house-elf. “Truckle, did you disobey your mistress? We told you he was not to be disturbed!”

“No, it wasn’t Truckle,” Scorpius yelled, standing in front of Truckle. He took a breath. “I ... er ... thing is, Dad. Professor Zabini has had his baby and ... I ... uh ... thought Mum’d like to know so I was trying to contact you. Truckle was in the room and told me about Granddad, so I came straight here.”

Draco’s eyes narrowed as his attention flicked from his son to the girl by his side. “Who is this?” he asked suspiciously.

“Felicity Macmillan,” Lily said, and held out her hand. “I’m ... um ...”

“My girlfriend,” Scorpius said clearly, praying that his dad was still vain enough to refuse to put his glasses on when a pretty girl was in the room. “Sorry, Dad, but Felicity was with me when I heard the news and ... uh ... came along. I’ll get her back to Hogwarts and then join you at the Manor.”

Crinkling his eyes as he tried to get a better look at her, Draco held out his hand to her. “Macmillan, eh? There was an Ernie Macmillan at school in my day. Any relation?”

“Yes, he’s my dad,” Lily replied coolly. “I’m sorry, sir, I didn’t mean to get Scorpius into any trouble. I jumped into the fire after him because he seemed so upset.”

“Reckless behaviour for a Hufflepuff,” Draco replied quietly. “That is if you are a Hufflepuff like your father.”

“Oh yes, she declared stoutly, holding his gaze. “I’m a Hufflepuff, all right. We’re fiercely loyal, Mr Malfoy.”

Draco made a noise that sounded very much like a snort, but he stopped studying Lily. Instead, he rubbed at his eyes and swept his thinning hair from his brow. “Your granddad isn’t at all well, Scorpius. He’s had another stroke and you should come and see him,” he said gently. “Grandma needs support.” He swallowed, and then glanced at Lily. “Miss Macmillan, would you come along? I think she’d like to meet you.”

“Uh, Dad, is that a good idea? It’s sort of awkward.”

Draco lowered his voice and with one arm behind Scorpius’ back guided him to the other side of the room. “Your grandmother still doesn’t like the fact that you ran away from her party. Show her this girl, who despite being a Hufflepuff,” he grimaced, “is still a pureblood and it will at least give her some comfort.”

“Comfort.”

“Yes, Scorpius, comfort, which is what she needs right now,” Draco muttered through gritted teeth. “Your girlfriend will provide a distraction.”

“Dad, it’s really not fair on Li “ uh “ Lissy.”

But as he finished, he felt he small hand slip into his. “I don’t mind coming along,” she said, “if you think it would help, sir.”

Draco smiled slightly at her. “As long as you can put up with Scorpius’ mother giving you the third degree, Miss Macmillan, then you would be a great help.”

“You don’t have to do this,” Scorpius hissed as his dad left the room, saying he needed to collect some things. “I’ll take you back.”

Lily touched him softly on the cheek with her hand, and then kissed him. He could smell the sweet perfume of her hair, and instantly felt calmer. “You stayed with me this afternoon,” she murmured. “Let me help now.”

“Ready,” Draco ordered as he strode back into the room, carrying a bag. He stood by the fire, about to leap in, then paused adding in a gentler voice, “Despite everything, your granddad is a survivor, so don’t give up hope. I want you to walk in there, with your head held high and a smile on your face, just as he’d expect.”

***

It had been hard to force a smile. Desperately difficult in fact, when confronted with his grandfather’s weakened frame prone in the bed. Lucius was sleeping when they’d arrived and Narcissa had not wanted him woken.

Scorpius stood in the doorway with his dad, watching as she carefully tucked in his sheets. “Why isn’t he in St. Mungo’s?” he whispered.

Draco smiled sadly. “This is his home, Scorpius.” He nudged him forwards. “Go and see him and remember: you’re a Malfoy, so keep your “”

“Head held high, yeah,” Scorpius mumbled. He stepped towards his grandmother and kissed her proffered cheek.

“You’re a good boy to come,” she whispered, clasping his hand in her dry, bony one. “Your mother didn’t want you informed but I knew Draco would see sense.”

“He’ll be okay,” Scorpius started to say, but as he gazed at the old man, he faltered. Lucius Malfoy had always looked so strong; even in old age, his face had character. But there, with paper-thin skin emphasizing the haughty cheekbones, he looked increasingly close to death.

“What is that noise?” Narcissa fussed and frowned as she heard Astoria’s voice and then Lily’s. “Who else is here?”

“Oh, sorry, Grandma, that’s Felicity,” Scorpius mumbled. “She’s my girlfriend. Dad thought you might like to meet her, but we won’t stay if we’re intruding.”

She arched one eyebrow, not looking entirely displeased, and removed her hand from her husband’s brow. “Lucius,” she murmured. “I’m going to let you get some rest. Draco is here and he’ll sit with you. Then Scorpius is going to come back.”

As she rose, she tucked her arm in his, and walked with him to the door, pausing only to gesture Draco towards the bed. “This girlfriend,” she murmured as they left the room, “what is her name?”

“Felicity,” Scorpius replied.

“I meant surname,” she said, some of her snappishness returning.

“Macmillan,” Scorpius replied. “Dad was at school with her dad,” he added “ well, at least that wasn’t a lie.

Narcissa pushed her lips together in a thin line, obviously not quite willing to show any sign of approval. “Introduce me,” she said imperiously. “We shall take some tea in the lounge.”

He swallowed, but did not dare disagree. It had been a bloody stupid idea bringing Lily here. His grandmother was sharp, his mother sharper still, and although he didn’t think that even his mum would want to upset the situation at the moment, he didn’t know how Lily would bear up under interrogation.

“Felicity,” he rasped as they entered the lounge where his mum was talking with Lily whilst skimming through an old copy of Witches Weekly, “this is my grandmother. Grandma, this is Felicity.”

Narcissa stared at her with disapproval, which faded when Lily leapt to her feet and darted forwards. “It’s lovely to meet you, Mrs Malfoy. Scorpius has told me such a lot about you, and I’m desperately sorry to hear about his granddad,” she said, enunciating clearly.

“Thank you,” Narcissa replied, carefully lowering herself into an ornate, but comfortable, armchair. “Scorpius tells me you’re a Macmillan. They’re a very old family. Who is your mother?”

Shit, we didn’t think of that. Scorpius started to sweat and wondered how he could change the subject, but to his surprise, Lily smiled.

“Amanda Brocklehurst,” she lied glibly.

Narcissa allowed a smile to play on her lips as she glanced at Scorpius. “Is this young lady the reason you ran away from my tea party?” she teased. “Really Scorpius, if you’d informed me, then I could have invited Miss Macmillan and her parents, instead of that ghastly Vaisey girl. Why have you been keeping her a secret?”

“Yes, Scorpius, do tell us,” Astoria chimed in. “This certainly explains why he was so secretive over Christmas, locking himself in his room. Tell me, Felicity, was he writing you poetry?”

“Li “ uh “ Lissy’s a Hufflepuff -” Scorpius interrupted before his mother could get any more embarrassing. “I didn’t think you’d approve. And no, I don’t write poetry, Mum.”

“Just notes hidden in apples,” Lily said, giggling. She stopped suddenly, unsure she should be laughing, perhaps.

“How sweet,” drawled Astoria, and resumed flicking through the magazine. “Merlin, I’m not old enough for knitting patterns. Did your dad bring me anything reasonable to read?”

“Hufflepuff,” Narcissa mused as she sipped at her tea. “How ... interesting.”

Scorpius groaned inwardly; he wanted to sit on the sofa next to Lily, but his mum was sprawled over two cushions and would only make an embarrassing comment if he asked her to move over. To his relief and pride, Lily looked totally unfazed as she answered his grandmother’s questions, telling her all about the subjects she was taking and embroidering fanciful family tales.

Perhaps it will be all right, he thought, watching her from the arm of his grandmother’s chair. Lily’s natural effervescence was certainly charming her, and maybe it wouldn’t matter if they discovered her blood wasn’t quite pure. Yes, it would be an adjustment, but his grandmother seemed genuinely interested in Lily.

“Mother,” Draco called from the doorway. “Father’s awake and restless.”

Narcissa swallowed and rose immediately. “I shall tell him you’re here, Scorpius, and I’m sure he will wish to meet you, Miss Macmillan.”

As Narcissa swept from the room, taking Draco with her, Astoria very slowly closed her magazine and placed it on the table. Reaching over, she poured another cup of tea, and handed it to Scorpius, then settled ack on the sofa. “Well done, Felicity. You have managed to get the Malfoy seal of approval after half an hour.” She smiled sourly. “I’m still waiting after eighteen years.”

Lily’s eyes flickered uncertainly from Astoria to Scorpius. He smiled reassuringly, and gestured for her to sit in the chair his grandma had just vacated. With a slight grin, she shook her head, instead sitting where she was. “My mum hates knitting patterns as well,” she offered.

“Does she?” Astoria replied, sounding bored.

As Lily flushed, Scorpius frowned. His mum wasn’t usually this rude “ well she was to her in-laws -- and Lily hadn’t done anything wrong except make a good impression.

“Mum,” he said through gritted teeth. “You could at least be polite. Felicity doesn’t have to be here.”

Astoria gave him a withering look. “That’s the thing, Scorpius, darling. Felicity Macmillan doesn’t have to be here at all. In fact “” she paused and placed her cup carefully on the table, “- she isn’t, is she?”

“Whaaaat?”

“Don’t act innocent, you stupid boy. I’m friends with Eliza Brocklehurst, Mandy’s sister-in-law. She’s Felicity’s godmother, so I know the girl. I have no idea who the hell you are, but you are not Felicity Macmillan.” She leant forwards, fixing Lily with a scathing glare. “Care to tell me who you are, or do I have to start guessing?”

“I ... I ... I...”stuttered Lily, the tea cup shaking against the saucer in her hands. She cast a despairing look at Scorpius, and, in a flash, he was by her side.

“Leave her alone,” he protested. “Mum, you’re being unfair. This isn’t her fault.”

“No, I can see the blame lies squarely with you,” she retorted, switching her glare to his face. “I take it from the outfit,” she gestured to the red and gold shirt Lily was wearing, “that she’s a Gryffindor and what ... Muggle-born, perhaps?”

“So what?” Scorpius demanded. Pulling Lily to standing he wrapped his arms around her, and glared at Astoria who stared back, wholly unperturbed. “You told me blood status didn’t matter.”

“It doesn’t,” she snapped. “Not to me “ not now. So don’t you dare pull that trick. I don’t care if you’re doing all this to keep your grandparents sweet, but now is a dreadful time for your father, and I don’t want him upset anymore than he has to be.” She sighed and her face lost some of its waspishness, looking resigned instead. “I never thought you’d have to lie to me, that’s all.”

“Mum, there was no time to say anything. I wanted to speak to dad about something, and then he dragged us both here,” he implored her. “Please don’t say anything.”

“I don’t mean tonight,” Astoria replied wearily, unfurling her legs and standing up. “You’ve been seeing each other for a while, haven’t you?”

“Since Christmas,” Scorpius admitted. “And I didn’t lie.”

“You’re more like your father than you think,” she said, a wry smile playing on her lips as she walked across to them. “Prevarication was always his strongest hand.” Then, stopping in front of Lily, she placed her hand under her chin, and tilted Lily’s face towards her. “Not a bad job with the hair, I’ll give you that, but Felicity has blue eyes.”

Lily jerked away, and Scorpius could see her nervousness had been replaced by irritation. “Scorpius didn’t tell you,” she muttered, “because I asked him not to. I didn’t want my parents to find out, either.”

“Oh, you do bite back, then?” Astoria laughed and stepped back, cooling assessing Lily. “The way you were sucking up to Narcissa, I seriously doubted my son’s sanity. And you say your parents wouldn’t like you going out with a Malfoy. That narrows the -- well, actually, that still leaves rather a large cohort of girls. We’re not a popular family, at all.” Then she burst into peals of laughter. “Oh, Oh, Oh! Please tell me you’re Rose Weasley. That would just be the icing on the cake, especially after Scorpius swore blind he had no interest in her.”

“No, she’s not!” Scorpius howled, then noticed Lily’s shoulders shaking as she too began to giggle. Repressing the urge to break into nervous hysteria, he only stopped when he heard Draco approaching. “This is serious, both of you. Mum, I’ll tell you later, just ... calm down, please!”

“Scorpius,” Draco called from the hallway. “Granddad would like to see you.” He tried to smile, but Scorpius could see the worry lines etched on his father’s face. “And bring Felicity.”

“Perhaps she should stay here,” Astoria put in hurriedly. “She’s never met Lucius, after all.”

Draco’s attention flickered to his wife, a puzzled expression on his face, but Astoria met his gaze and then, deliberately linked her arm into Lily’s. “We’re getting on well, darling, and I really don’t think Felicity needs that type of introduction to us all. Perhaps when Lucius is better, then your mother can hold another party, but you’re not being very fair -- ”

“My mother has asked if Miss Macmillan will accompany Scorpius,” Draco murmured.

Scorpius swallowed. His dad so very rarely put his foot down regarding his mum’s wishes that he knew this had to be important. He’d said Lucius was a survivor, but even the most tenacious of fighters had to let go. Feeling tears well behind his eyes, he sniffed and glanced across at Lily. She smiled sadly, wriggled free of Astoria’s arm, and slipped her hand in his.

“Come on,” she whispered. “Introduce me to your granddad.”

The walk up the stairs was one he’d never forget. The plodding feet kept pace with his heart thumping in his chest. He wanted to be anywhere else but here, even “ he half smiled to himself “ at the birth of another Zabini, but this was where his duty lay. His granddad had been good to him. They loved each other, and just because the world couldn’t see that side of Lucius Malfoy “ the side that took such delight in his grandson’s exploits “ that didn’t mean Scorpius should feel no sorrow at the old man’s passing.

“You okay?” Lily whispered, squeezing his hand.

“Not sure,” he whispered back, uncaring that his voice was trembling. “Uh, just come in and say hello, and then you can leave with mum. She’s close to Vector, so she’ll wangle you back in somehow. I’ll stay here until it’s “” He broke off, unable to finish his unthinkable sentence.

He stepped over the threshold with his dad and approached the bed. Lucius eyes flickered with recognition and he smiled weakly. “Scorpius,” he muttered, his breath faint and patchy. “It’s good to see you.”

“Hi, Ganda,” Scorpius whispered, reverting again to the name he’d given him in his childhood. “It’s good to see you, too.”

“How was the match?”

“Uh ... oh, my match. Yeah, Slytherin won. I caught the Snitch early on. You’d have laughed, Ganda, it was in Mrs Longbottom’s hair.”

“And the Cup?” Lucius’ words were laboured now, and there was an underlying sense of regret in his tone.

“Sorry. Gryffindor won this year.”

“Bloody Gryffindor!”

Scorpius laughed, hoping Lily wasn’t taking offence and his dad joined in. “Yeah, Granddad, bloody Gryffindor. They played well, though.”

Lifting his hand feebly, Lucius gestured to the doorway. “You have a young lady.”

Scorpius turned around, seeing Lily’s silhouette and beckoned her to come in. With the light from the landing behind her, she was in shadow, her expression unreadable, but she stepped forwards willingly enough. He turned back to his granddad. “This is Felicity Macmillan, Ganda. Sorry, I should have told you about her before and not embarrassed you and Grandma at the party.”

“Hufflepuff?” Lucius asked, his voice rasping now.

“Yeah “ sorry,” Scorpius replied, smiling ruefully. Lucius smiled back and patted his hand.

As Draco moved back, Lily moved in the space behind Scorpius’ chair. He could feel her hand on his shoulder, and felt strangely calm, despite the certain knowledge that this was his grandfather’s deathbed he was sitting at. Scorpius lifted his other hand to cover hers murmuring ‘thank you’ as he turned his head slightly.

A gasp jerked his attention back to his granddad.

“No!” Lucius croaked. “No, that can’t be you!”

“Lucius,” soothed Narcissa from the other side of the bed. “What’s the matter? Calm yourself, this isn’t helping.”

“Look!” Lucius groaned, and snatching his hand away from Scorpius’ he raised it towards Lily. “It’s her, Weasley’s daughter!”

In shock, Scorpius stared from his grandfather and then to Lily. Her hair, which had been a dull, dirty blonde, thanks to his Transfiguration spell, was now shimmering red, back to its normal vibrancy.

“Get her OUT!” screamed Narcissa. “Draco, remove this girl, immediately. And keep your son away.”

“G -Grandma, D- Dad” Scorpius stuttered as Draco grabbed his arm and pulled him to standing. “It’s not th-that bad. Please listen.”

But Draco was pushing them both towards the door, refusing to listen, mindful only of Narcissa’s distress. In the light on the landing, he took hold of Lily’s arm and held her close to him, studying her face. “Potter’s daughter!” he spat. “You couldn’t have picked a better way to hurt them if you’d tried!”

Lucius started to cough, the rattling noise of his lungs sending a shiver down Scorpius’ spine. “Please, Dad, I only wanted to say goodbye,” he pleaded, and now the tears which he’d held in for so long, ran in rivers down his cheeks. “I’m sorry. I didn’t want this to happen.”

With a coldness he’d never seen directed towards him, Draco shoved Scorpius back to the room. “Say your goodbyes. Assure him she means nothing, then leave.”

Gulping, Scorpius hardly daring to look at Lily, stepped back over the threshold.

“Sorry,” he muttered to his grandma, but she wouldn’t look at him. Crouching down by the bed, he lent forwards, intending to brush his lips on his Grandfather’s cheek, but Lucius raised his hand. “She should have died!” he hissed malevolently. “Then the Dark Lord would have been returned to power.”

As if he’d been hexed, Scorpius staggered back on the floor, a sick feeling curdling at his stomach as his world caved around him. “No,” he whispered. “Granddad, you don’t mean that. Please ...”

But his grandfather was not looking at him anymore. Instead, his grey eyes searched only for his wife’s. He smiled fleetingly as she pressed her lips to his brow, murmuring soothing words about their life together.

“No regrets, Lucius,” she whispered. “You are a fine man, a great man and you can hold your head up high.”

A last crackling wheeze from the old man’s chest sounded through the room and then there was silence.

“You will leave my house,” Narcissa said icily, “and take the blood-traitor’s brat with you.”

Still shaking, Scorpius got to his feet and backed out of the room unable to tear his eyes away from his grandmother’s accusatory look. He didn’t know if she expected him to protest, or stammer more apologies, but he couldn’t say another word. Then his grandmother started to cry, dry racking sobs filling the air as her grief found its outlet after months of staying strong.

Feeling the bile rise inside of him, he turned to his mum, “Take care of Lily,” he muttered, then breaking into a run he hurtled towards the bathroom. Retching and retching, he brought up not only the hastily gathered snacks Harry had foraged from the Hogwarts kitchens, but his lunch and breakfast, too. His head swam, and still feeling clammy. He staggered to the sink and splashed his face with water. In the mirror, a gaunt face stared back at him.

He was so like them both. His grandfather’s brow, his father’s nose, their face shape. The only difference was that Scorpius had no tattoo seared into his arm. Choking back a sob, he splashed more water onto his face and swilled out his mouth. He could no more escape his connection to the past, than Albus could his. No wonder he was disliked, when his whole being screamed ‘Malfoy’.

“You don’t have his eyes,” Ginny Potter had said that afternoon. “Perhaps I should just concentrate on them when I look at you.”

“Thank you,” he muttered to the air. “But I don’t think that’s enough, Mrs Potter.”

Hearing a faint tapping at the door, he listlessly let himself out to find Lily hunched against the wall, tears in her eyes and his mum by her side. “Let’s get you back to Hogwarts,” she murmured. “I’ll speak to Septima. I’m sure she’ll understand under the circumstances.”

Scorpius nodded, a lump in his throat, and allowed her to ruffle his hair. But as they traipsed down the stairs and into the hallway, a voice assailed them.

“No, Astoria. You won’t be having a word with anyone,” Draco growled. “Scorpius and Potter’s daughter got here unaided; they can make their own way back.”

“But, if they get caught-” Astoria interjected. “Draco, be reasonable. This is your son, and it will only take me a minute to contact Septima. She’ll understand given the circumstances.”

“What circumstances?” Draco demanded, adding viciously, “You mean the one where my son brought a girl into this house and it killed his grandfather?”

“Dad!”

“GET OUT!”

“Dad, listen to me,” Scorpius implored. Draco stopped turning away and fixed his attention on him. “I’m sorry I brought Lily here. I didn’t want to. We were about to go back to Hogwarts when you turned up. You insisted she come along.”

“Because I thought she was someone else!” Draco roared. “Someone your grandmother would approve of. You should not have tried to trick me, Scorpius.” He took a deep shuddering breath and let his gaze drift towards Lily. “You look very much like your mother, Miss Potter. I should have guessed even with the blonde hair.”

“Draco, I’m going to contact Septima,” Astoria said firmly, breaching the silence and the dangerous froideur that had sprung up between them all.

“No, Astoria,” Draco repeated. “You are not. Scorpius is on his own. If he gets caught, then that’s his problem and he can’t come crying to his ‘mummy’ anymore.”

Astoria blanched. Taking a step towards Draco, still with her hand on Scorpius’ arm, she opened her mouth to protest but Scorpius forestalled her. “It’s fine, Mum. Lily and I can get back in even if Dad does decide to report that we’re out of school.”

His dad’s eyes flickered, and Scorpius knew he’d hit home. Feeling anger replace the gut wrenching nausea, he faced him. “Want to know why I really came home tonight, Dad?”

“That stupid elf sent you a message, I presume.”

“No, she didn’t,” Scorpius flared. “I wanted to talk to you. I wanted to know the truth about the Chamber of Secrets because I’d heard this weird version where Granddad was responsible and that Ginny Weasley was the girl who nearly died. I brought Lily with me because I wanted her to hear it from your lips that it was a pack of lies “ all bloody lies told by Mr and Mrs Potter.”

Pulling Lily towards him, he looked away from his father and then with a brief, sad smile to his mum, walked to the door. “Tell Vector, tell Zabini. If you really want me expelled, then do it, Dad, but you brought us here,” he shouted as he wrenched open the door. Then, as a parting gesture, because he knew it would infuriate his dad, Scorpius lowered his mouth to Lily’s and kissed her.

“Ready,” he whispered, his voice unsteady.

Brushing away his tears with her thumb, Lily nodded. Scorpius span on the spot, looking only at her, concentrated on Hogsmeade, and Disapparated.