Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

High by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
He heard her gasp then cry out as they turned through the air, subsumed by the crushing sensations infiltrating their lungs. Belatedly, Scorpius wondered if she’d ever travelled this way. He’d passed his test the year before at the first attempt and had travelled like this many times now, even taking Ariadne by Side-Along-Apparition once or twice. Yet, he still remembered that feeling of shock the first time, and how his head had spun as it tried to keep up with the twisting sensations coursing through his body. He held Lily closer, worried in case she suffered a Splinching, and concentrated anew on Hogsmeade.

–You okay?” he whispered as they landed.

Lily lay on the ground, her eyes wide open, gasping for breath. –Not sure.”

–Sorry, I should have warned you,” he muttered, and bending down he reached out to pull her up.

–OWW!” she yelped. –Merlin, that hurts!”

In alarm, Scorpius laid her back on the ground and crouched next to her. –Are you Splinched?”

–I landed badly.” Her face lost its colour as she tried to flex her leg. –My ankle turned over. Ow!”

–Don’t move,” said Scorpius, hoping he sounded as if he knew what he was doing. –I’ll ... um ...” He looked around, trying to find his bearings and realised that they were in an alleyway, behind a row of shops, one of which he recognised as Honeydukes. It was quiet here, the only sounds heard were a few carousers heading from pub-to-pub and he doubted they’d come here. Dropping to her side, Scorpius gingerly removed her shoe. Even in the dull light, he could see her ankle beginning to swell. She winced under his touch, biting her lip to stop her cries.

–It might be broken,” he said.

–Can you fix it? Madam Bones uses that Episkey Charm to mend bones. She fixed Al’s nose in the fifth year.”

–Yeah,” he muttered, remembering the Quidditch match when Albus and he had collided mid-air. Scorpius had ended up with barely a bruise; Albus’ nose had split. –Sorry, I can’t risk it, not on an ankle. I’ll splint it. Perhaps you’ll be able to take some weight.”

He cast a Ferula. As small bandages emerged from his wand, Scorpius glanced at his pocket watch.

–Lily, it’s past ten-thirty and we need get back. Can you walk?”

–I think so,” she muttered, and using his arm as support, she levered herself to standing. She smiled up at him, and for a brief moment, he thought things would be okay, but as she placed her foot on the ground, she gave an involuntary cry and sank into his arms.

–Sorry, sorry, sorry,” she cried and grasped his arm.”I don’t think I can walk.”

Biting back his frustration, Scorpius cast his eyes around the alleyway, searching for something - anything - that was going to give him a clue as to how to get back to the castle. Although the Slytherins would assume he was keeping a low profile, he’d have to be back in the dungeons by midnight. –Lily,” he whispered, –you said you could get us back in the Castle. What was the plan?”

She stared glassily at him, the pain in her ankle rendering her incoherent. –Lily,” he urged. –Come on, focus.”

–Marauder’s Map,” she muttered, gesturing to her pocket. She took a breath and swallowed before continuing, –There are two secret tunnels back into the Castle. One goes from Honeydukes, the other from The Shrieking Shack, but I’m not sure I can walk far.”

Looking down, he saw her balling her fists as she tried to ignore the pain. –Come on,” he said grimly as he scooped her up in his arms. –I’ll carry you.”

Lily shook her head. –You can’t carry me in the tunnels. They’re not big and you’d have to stoop.” She moaned as another wave of pain hit her. –I’m so sorry. I was clumsy.”

–Not your fault,” he mumbled.

Setting her on the back steps of Honeydukes, Scorpius began to pace around, almost grateful for the immediacy of this problem that stopped him having to think about others. Even though he’d said he’d carry her, he knew it would be a long trek back, and it would be way beyond midnight before they got to the Castle. If only he had his Firebolt ...

–Where are you going?” she called, and he heard a note of fear in her voice.

–Broomstick. I’m going to try to find one. If I get to The Three Broomsticks, someone’s bound to have left one there.”

–You can’t,” she protested.

–Any other ideas?” he snapped. –Come on, Lily, we’re desperate here. And I’ll send it straight back. It’s not stealing if I return it.”

–No,” she said, struggling to get to her feet. –I don’t mean that. It’s Saturday, and you know the professors are bound to be out.” Stoically, she got to her feet and limped towards the cellar door. –Let’s get into the tunnel, and I’ll crawl through.”

–No,” he ordered, and strode to the end of the alley to peek around the corner. The Three Broomsticks was just across the street, and the noise of people singing reaching his ears, songs of happy times, of laughter. Hagrid’s voice, always loud, could be heard toasting the birth of the Zabini baby. Scorpius gulped; life and death all in one day. Then he shook his head. Now was not the time to brood.

–I’m sorry.” Her voice called him back, and he half turned towards her, still scanning the front of the pub as he searched for a broom.

–What for?”

–Tagging along. I shouldn’t have insisted. I could have just given you the Map.”

–It’s not your fault,” he muttered, and returned to watching the pub front door. As it opened, he could see a collection of broomsticks. If he snuck across now, he could grab a broomstick easily. Edging around the corner, he crept closer keeping as flat against the wall as possible. He turned his head back towards her, flashing a reassuring smile, then stopped when he saw how wan she was looking.

–Lily, I wanted you there, okay,” he said, –and it had nothing to do with you getting me back into the castle.”

–But after everything that’s happened,” she persisted. –If I hadn’t been there, Scorpius. If I hadn’t insisted, then none of this would have -”

–Shut up!” He closed his eyes and gritted his teeth, hoping he could quell the rage surging within him. –I don’t want to talk about it,” he said fiercely. Then, hearing an indrawn breath - from either pain or dismay he didn’t know - he added in a more restrained tone, –We need to get back, Lily. Let’s concentrate on that, yeah?”

She nodded glumly, not quite meeting his eyes, and slumped against the door. With a sigh, Scorpius turned back to watching the pub. Edging around the corner, flat against the wall, he reached the road. There were a couple on their way to the pub. Sprinting across the road, he stayed close to them, his head bowed. But, as they reached The Three Broomsticks, the door flew open and a large figure loomed out into the night.

Scorpius darted behind the porch pillar, praying that Hagrid was going the other way, but the groundskeeper stayed where he was, swaying slightly.

–Fergot my cloak,” he heard Hagrid say as he stumbled back into the pub, leaving the door open.

–Hell, hell, hell!” Scorpius cursed. If he ran back to Lily, he might be seen, and he was pretty sure that Hagrid wasn’t the only Hogwarts professor out on the town tonight. In despair, he looked across to the alleyway then groaned.

There was a figure standing in the shadows. Small and cloaked, Scorpius could not make out who it was, but with utter dread he realised it could be old Professor Flitwick, who despite being retired, still retained a room at Hogwarts in honour of his service to the school. He also knew every single pupil at the school, his memory faultless.

Knowing he couldn’t let Lily suffer punishment alone, Scorpius dashed straight back to her. –It’s my fault!” he called out. –Don’t blame her, Prof- Oh!” He stopped suddenly, astonished at the sight before him. –Uh ... Truckle what are you doing here?”

–The Mistress is sendin’ me to help you,” Truckle whispered, barely able to keep the conspiratorial excitement out of her voice. –She is sayin’ that Master Scorpius is needin’ help to get back into school, so Truckle decided to find the young Master.”

–Um ... well ... that’s very good of you, Truckle,” Scorpius said in bemusement, wondering how on earth Truckle bringing him pastries could possibly help.

–That’s brilliant!” exclaimed Lily and beamed at Truckle. –She can Apparate us into Hogwarts.”

–No,” he replied, trying not to sound sarcastic. –Apparating into Hogwarts is impossible, or I’d already have done that.”

–We can’t,” Lily agreed, –but Truckle is a house-elf and her magic is different from ours. It was how my dad escaped from Malfoy Man-” She stopped immediately and started to cough.

He ignored her embarrassment and instead strode across to her, scooping her up, muttering, –Yeah, so I heard. Probably a different version from yours, but ... yeah ...” He tried a smile and looked at Truckle. –Can you get us to the kitchens?”

–Truckle can do that as easily as makin’ apple pie,” she replied, slightly haughtily as she trotted towards them. She grasped his leg, and then with a snap of her fingers, they left Hogsmeade, just as Hagrid staggered out of the pub.

The Hogwarts house-elves barely turned a hair when they landed in the middle of the kitchen floor, despite Scorpius staggering backwards and upsetting a mop bucket. With the suspicion of a grin, Truckle steadied him, then after patting him on his hand, she prepared to leave.

–Thank you,” Scorpius murmured, staying her arm.

–‘Tis nothing, Master Scorpius,” she whispered, –but Truckle is needin’ to leave now.” She chuckled as she looked at the other house elves studiously ignoring her. –Truckle is upsettin’ the house-elves by wearin’ clothes and the Mistress needs to know Master Scorpius is safe.” She squeezed his arm and after giving Lily a friendly wave, she Disapparated.

–Come on,” Scorpius muttered after staring at the space where Truckle had been. –We were bloody lucky there, but it’s nearly eleven and I should get you to the hospital wing.”

–In a moment,” Lily whispered. –Scorpius, put me down and let’s catch our breath.”

–We shouldn’t be in here,” he warned.

–That’s not stopped us before,” she said and sighed. –Please, I’m parched and need a drink.”

He frowned, not quite believing her, but Summoned a chair and accepted two goblets of pumpkin juice that one of the house-elves bustled forwards with.

She drank thirstily, her eyes never leaving his face. Feeling uncomfortable, he picked up his wand, polishing it on his sleeve.

–Are you okay?” she murmured, then flushed. –Sorry, that’s a silly thing to say. Of course, you’re not okay. Your granddad’s –”

–We should go,” he interrupted, and as he fiddled with his wand a series of sparks shot put from the tip.

–Talk to me,” she repeated, and this time removed his wand, placing it firmly on the table. –Your granddad’s just died and I know you were close.”

–Don’t.” He flinched as she stretched out her hand towards his cheek. –Come on, you need to see Madam Bones.”

–I’m fine,” she said. –The splint is working and a few more minutes won’t make any difference.”

Standing, he took back his wand, and removed the goblet from her hand. –Let’s go.”

–Scorpius-” she began, reproach in her voice.

–No,” he said firmly. –I’m not talking about this.”

–He’s dead.”

–I KNOW THAT,” he shouted, sending a house-elf scuttling. –I WAS IN THE BLOODY ROOM, OR HAD YOU FORGOTTEN?”

He stared at her then looked away, not wanting to see the way she bit her lip, or the tears welling in her eyes. When he heard a stifled cry, he stepped further back. This was not Lily’s concern. It wasn’t his, either; his dad and grandmother had made that perfectly clear. He didn’t want her sympathy; he didn’t want anything from anyone, just his bed and a bottle of Firewhisky.

He heard her cry out again, and this time turned his head. Lily was hobbling towards him, but at the look on his face, she stopped and instead moved towards the door. As she limped, he could see the pain etched on her face, even though she was balling her fists again in an attempt to stop sobbing.

She swayed at the door, and in that instant he dashed across to her, his arm clasping her around the waist. –Hospital wing – NOW!” he ordered, this time brooking no disagreement.

Lily didn’t demur, and allowed him to pick her up, wrapping her arms around his neck. Scorpius could feel her shivering against his chest, yet she said nothing.

–Sorry,” he muttered. –I just ...” He trailed off. What could he say? There was nothing he could tell her. His whole being him was telling him he should be reacting, should be crying, should be raging, should be at the very least talking, yet all he felt was a dull ache in his temples as if he’d been studying too hard, or reading in poor light.

–I’m sorry, too,” she replied quietly. –I never know when to shut up.”

–I can’t talk, Lily,” he sighed as they stepped out into the corridor. –Not yet, okay? It’s just not ...” He shook his head, unable to explain, and carried on walking, his footsteps thudding along the stone corridor and towards the staircase.

***

–Merlin, not another Gryffindor!” Madam Bones cried when Scorpius staggered through the door with Lily. –What was it – the spiked punch, or the charmed biscuits? If it’s the punch, then go over to that corner. If it’s the biscuits then the only solution is a purging draught. Unpleasant, but what do you expect when –”

–She’s hurt her ankle!” Scorpius interrupted, and barging past her, he gently lowered Lily onto an empty bed. –I think it’s broken.”

He looked around the hospital wing, faintly amused to see the place awash with Gryffindors. Albus was lying on a bed in the charmed biscuits section, clutching his stomach, his hair very red and his face shimmering gold. On the other side, he could see Rose vomiting into a bucket, Ben sitting next to her, rubbing her back. –Your lot know how to party,” he muttered to Lily. –What happened to just getting very drunk and snogging the wrong girl?”

Catching his eye, Ben, after whispering something to Rose, meandered across to them. –You missed all the fun,” he murmured.

–What’s happened?” Lily whispered.

–Not sure, but there’s a strong suspicion that Roxanne was so outraged when Rose sent everyone below fifth year to bed, that she used a few Weasley products.” He grinned at Scorpius. –Although Hugo seems to think it was you, Scorpius, as neither of you turned up.”

Scorpius snorted. –I wouldn’t have turned Potter red and gold, but Slytherin green!”

Ben laughed. –True, true. What happened to you, then?”

–I tripped on the trick step,” Lily lied blithely.

Ben raised his eyebrows. –Muddy, was it? Only your shoes and skirt are covered in dirt,” he remarked, and his eyes flicked to Scorpius’ feet.

They locked looks and, for a moment, Scorpius wondered if the Head Boy would slap a detention on them. Then Ben slowly pointed his wand at Lily’s feet. –Tergeo,” he muttered. –The trick step doesn’t explain why it’s bandaged, either. You could have come straight here.”

–Thanks,” mumbled Scorpius and started to clean his shoes.

–Right, what have we here, Miss Potter?” Madam Bones asked as she bustled over to the bed. She looked rather pleased with Lily, probably relieved she wasn’t dealing with vomit or the consequences of the Purging Draught. And after a glare from the matron, Ben scuttled back to Rose.

–My ankle,” Lily explained. –I tripped and thought I was okay, so Scorpius bandaged it for me, but ....” She yelped as Madam Bones started to unravel the bandage.

–Not a bad job, Mr Malfoy,” she pronounced, examining the bruised and swollen ankle, –but you should have come here straight away. By putting weight on this, you’ve made it worse. It’s not broken, but you’ve torn the ligaments, which is why it’s so painful.” She frowned slightly at them both. –Overnight stay, Miss Potter.”

Lily slumped back on the pillows, smiling wanly. She looked shattered, with reddened eyes and a grey pallor to her skin. Scorpius pulled the curtains around the bed, and sat beside her, stroking the hair out of her eyes. –Sorry,” he muttered, kissing her softly on the brow.

–What for?”

–Um, let me see,” he began, ticking off points on his fingers. –Dragging you to my parents house, not sending you back when I should have done, allowing my mum to be bloody rude –”

–You mum was okay,” she interrupted. –And my mum wasn’t exactly pleasant to you.”

–Your mum had good reason,” he muttered, then stopped speaking. He wasn’t going to talk about this – not now. –I should let you sleep.”

Lily smiled ruefully as a series of groans from her brother’s bed echoed through the hospital wing. –Busted ankle is nothing,” she whispered. –Poor Al sounds as if he’s close to death –” She blushed. –Sorry.”

Feigning deafness, Scorpius got off the bed, and after a last kiss and a promise to drop in the next morning, he left.

The first floor corridor was deserted now, the torches dimming as the night dragged on. Scorpius plodded slowly back, exhausted but longing for his bed, praying that his dorm mates would leave him alone and not start arguing about his role in Gryffindor’s victory.

He laughed bitterly. Barely nine hours before, he’d been riding a broomstick with Lily, swooping through the air, afraid only of the disapproval of her parents. It hadn’t mattered then. He’d known who he was and that they couldn’t reproach him for anything. Lily was his girlfriend and the world would have to get used to it. But then ...

–Well, well, well, look who’s out of bed long after curfew,” cooed Ariadne, appearing from an alcove, her wand raised. –I could put you in detention for that, Scorpy.”

–I have permission,” he replied shortly. –Professor Longbottom said I could attend the Gryffindor party, so as long as I’m back by twelve, there’s nothing you can do about it.”

Her lips thinned. –I could get you into real trouble, Malfoy, do you know that?”

–Really?” he said, and laughing openly he walked past her.

–I saw you,” she hissed. –You and your girlfriend went into Professor Zabini’s study. I heard you using his Floo, so I know you both left Hogwarts.” He froze, waiting for her to continue, knowing she was smiling at his discomfort. –Question is, Scorpy, what will you promise me if I hold my tongue and don’t report you and Little Miss Seeker?”

He turned slowly, smiling as a disjointed memory from this afternoon clicked in his head. Ariadne breathless as she entered the stand. Her look of scorn when he’d pretended the long red hair on his robes belonged to Hugo. –You say anything about me, Bletchley, and I’ll have to tell everyone why I lent Lily my broom.”

The smirk left her face. –What do you mean?” Her eyes darted to the alcove; Scorpius peered closer and started to laugh.

–Vaisey, what are you doing out of Slytherin? Or have you been made up to prefect now?”

Stepping out, Vaisey grimaced and gripped his wand tight. –Flint’s ill, I offered to help Ariadne patrol. That’s not the same as leaving the Castle, Malfoy.”

–And leaving the Castle,” muttered Scorpius, lacing his voice with as much menace as he could muster, –is not the same as hexing a broom, eh, Ariadne?”

–Hexed?” Vaisey scoffed. –What do you mean?”

–Ariadne knows, don’t you?” Scorpius replied. He stopped smiling and walking towards her, he stared straight into her eyes, his face inches from hers. –You could have killed her, you stupid bitch!”

–I-I-I- don’t know what you’re –” she stuttered, but Scorpius remembered her ashen face from the match and wasn’t fooled.

–You were scared shitless when she fell off,” he said icily. –Not for her, though, but for you. Just admit it, Ariadne.”

–Th-This is ridiculous,” Vaisey stuttered. –We were with her in the stand, Malfoy. Ariadne didn’t raise her wand once.”

–The broom was hexed before the match, probably as the teams walked to the stadium,” Scorpius replied. –Ariadne was late getting to the stand. She arrived only moments before you did, Vaisey, and you’d had to go all the way back to our common room to get her hat.”

–You can’t prove any of this,” she hissed. –Not even if you use Priori Incantatem on my wand. I’ve cast a lot of hexes recently. Shame I didn’t aim them at you, Malfoy!”

–That’s as good as a confession,” replied Scorpius. He stepped back from the pair of them. –Put that away, Vaisey. You know I could beat you wandless and with both hands tied behind my back.”

–I’ll deny everything,” Ariadne declared, clutching Vaisey’s arm. –When you tell Zabini, I’ll –”

–You’ll what?” Scorpius called scornfully as he walked away. –Burst into tears? Zabini’s not a fool, and he’ll see through you. He might forgive you, the mood he’s in, but he’ll want to know why.” He paused and looked back over his shoulder. –Don’t you want to know why, Vaisey?”

–I did it for Johnson,” Ariadne shrieked. –I knew how much it would hurt having to give the Cup to Potter.”

Scorpius shrugged. –You believe that if you want.”

–What are you insinuating, Malfoy?”

Scorpius took a breath as he gave Vaisey his full attention. –If she’d hexed someone else’s broom, then, not only would I not have noticed, I wouldn’t have given a toss. I only lent Lily my broom because, as probably even you’ve worked out, she’s my girlfriend.” He licked his lips, wondering how far he should push this, but Vaisey was a friend -- of sorts. –Ariadne knew I was seeing Lily. You work it out.”

–What are you suggesting?” Vaisey’s voice was rising now, the fury carrying all the way down the dimly lit corridor and he could hear him striding towards him.

Scorpius half-turned and gripped his wand, but instead of a hex, Vaisey pulled on his arm. –Tell me, Malfoy.”

Roughly shaking off Vaisey’s hand, Scorpius resisted the urge to push him away; instead he stared looked into his dark, almost black, eyes working out how to phrase his next words.

–Are you saying something has happened between you?” Vaisey asked.

–Just ... um ... enjoy the ride, Johnson,” Scorpius said quietly, –but don’t get too close. She tried to pull me over Easter.”

Vaisey stepped back, in shock, his face pale. –You’re lying!” he rasped and twisted towards Ariadne. –Tell me he’s lying.”

–Of course he is!” she spat. –I wouldn’t have anything to do with Malfoy. In fact, only last week, I had to hex him when he tried it on.”

–You lying bitch,” Scorpius murmured, and then started to laugh. Ariadne could spin whatever lies she wanted to Vaisey. He didn’t care, not about them, not about anything. –Ariadne’s been desperate for a decent shag since Christmas. Apparently you’re boring, mate. Wouldn’t surprise me if Flint’s been up her, too. Your brother’s probably next on her list, or maybe she’ll make it to the Raven-”

Prepared for a hex, Scorpius was totally blindsided as Vaisey leapt at him. Wrestling him to the ground, Vaisey lashed out, his face puce as he punched and pummelled, crashing Scorpius head into the floor. Instinct made Scorpius raise his hands, trying to shield himself from further attack, or to push his dorm mate off, but as Vaisey’s fist crashed again onto his nose, and he tasted blood, he let his hands fall.

–Take that back, you bastard!” Vaisey yelled, and dragged Scorpius up by his shirt.

–Make me,” Scorpius slurred, deliberately smirking. –Won’t change the fact that your girlfriend’s ridden more dicks than I’ve ridden broomsticks.”

Somewhere along the corridor, he could hear someone shrieking for help. It wasn’t Ariadne, who was urging Vaisey on, but a girl with wispy blonde hair, screaming at them to stop. Undeterred, Vaisey launched another attack, but this time Scorpius reacted and brought his knee up sharply, connecting, he hoped, with Vaisey’s balls. Bent double, Vaisey, with his last vestiges of strength, shoved Scorpius away.

He felt the banister in the small of his back, heard the crack, and then heard a rush of air past his ears as he plunged down to the stone floor. He stirred, briefly, trying to lift his head, but someone had pounded down the stairs and was ordering him not to move.

–Get Madam Bones,” a familiar voice ordered. –And you, Vaisey, don’t bloody go anyway!”

–Ben?” Scorpius couldn’t be sure, the voice sounded fuzzy, disconnected, but before he could focus, he blacked out.

He was floating in the air. Words swirled around him, some soft, some loud, some measured, some panicked, all voices familiar and yet he couldn’t make out who was there, or where he was.

‘Stay with us, Mr Malfoy.’

‘I didn’t mean ... I just ... Oh Merlin, Professor, I just ...’

‘Malfoy! Don’t move!’

‘He was goading Johnson. It was Malfoy’s fault, Professor. He started it.’

‘I saw them fighting. Then Malfoy just ... stopped.’

‘Scorpius, no, NO.’

‘Miss Potter, listen, he’ll be all right.’

‘Broken nose and collarbone, split lip and concussion.’

‘I’ll owl his parents straight away’.


–No!” Scorpius groaned.

–He’s back.”

Through a haze of pain, Scorpius saw three figures by his bedside. –Not my parents,” he rasped, licking his dry lips.

–Scorpius, they need to know. They’ll come at once,” Professor Zabini murmured.

–I’m of age, you need my consent,” he replied. –And I’m saying no.” He studied the other two figures, Madam Bones was checking his pulse, and Ben was standing further back, a look of concern on his face. –Lily?” he muttered.

–Here,” she whispered from his other side, sliding her hand over his.

–Make sure they don’t call my parents,” he muttered, then sank once more into oblivion.

***

He remembered very little of the next twenty-four hours as he slipped in and out of consciousness. Madam Bones continued her bustling ministrations, tending to his broken bones, and feeding him a revolting potion she told him was necessary.

Professor Zabini visited, first to beg him to reconsider so he could inform his father (Scorpius closed his eyes and muttered a resounding, ‘No’), then to ask what actually happened between him and Vaisey (Scorpius turned his head away). Finally, his Head of House returned on Monday with The Prophet in his hand.

–You’ve made the paper, Scorpius,” he murmured, settling himself into a chair.

–James Potter mentioned me, did he?” Scorpius replied, but the professor shook his head.

–That was yesterday’s news. Today you’re mentioned in an obituary.” He paused, studying Scorpius carefully. –You don’t seem surprised, and yet I’m not aware of any owls being sent to you since Saturday.”

–Lucius Malfoy is dead,” Scorpius stated. –I don’t need an owl to tell me that.”

–How do you know?”

Scorpius tried to shrug, but the pain in his shoulder stopped him. –I used your Floo on Saturday night for a face-to-face message. Wanted to tell Mum about your baby, and uh ... well, that’s when it happened.”

–Is that why you won’t let us call them?” Professor Zabini asked gently. –They’d want to be here, Scorpius. You’re badly hurt.”

–She has enough to deal with,” he replied shortly, adding, –and my dad ... will be too busy.”

–Will you tell me about the fight with Vaisey?” the professor asked again.

–Argument over Ariadne. I had a go at her. He ... replied,” Scorpius finished lamely.

Professor Zabini sighed. –As you wish, Malfoy. Johnson Vaisey is currently confined to the Dungeons between lessons and will remain there until the end of NEWTs. I will have to move one of you to a different dorm when you’re discharged, though.”

–Fine,” Scorpius replied. –Move me in with the fifth years, if you want. As long as they ignore me, I couldn’t give a toss.”

–I’ll leave you to rest.” The Professor stifled a yawn and, belatedly, Scorpius remembered his news.

–How’s Mrs Zabini, sir, and your son?”

–He has his mother’s lungs,” the Professor replied sardonically, then grinned, –but both of them are doing very well. Thank you, Scorpius.”

–Good,” he murmured, then closed his eyes hoping the professor would take the hint.

Had his dad ever felt that much pride when he was born? Once upon a time, he wouldn’t have doubted it, but after Saturday the only memory that remained was his father’s ... there was no other word for it ... disgust.

–Lily Potter’s outside. She wants to know if she can visit.”

–Can you tell her I’m tired?” Scorpius said, and it wasn’t quite a lie. He was exhausted but knew he wouldn’t sleep.

–You said that yesterday, Malfoy,” Professor Zabini reproved. –And I don’t think she’s going to give up that quickly.”

***

–Hello.”

It was Thursday. Scorpius kept his eyes closed. If Lily thought he was asleep, she’d leave as she had yesterday, and the day before, and on Monday.

–I know you’re not asleep,” she continued. –I saw you drinking some water about a minute before I walked in.”

–You should be in lessons,” he replied, still not opening his eyes.

–Thursday afternoon,” she replied. –I don’t have anything, remember? We usually meet up.”

–You should be revising.”

–I would, but my best tutor has decided to stay in bed.”

–Tough, you’ll have to study by yourself.”

He opened his eyes; Lily was sitting there watching him as she helped herself to an apple. –I’m not leaving,” she said.

–You can watch me sleep, then,” he muttered, and with a wince, he turned away from her.

–Why are you being like this?”

–It’s in my blood,” he said moodily.

–Liar!” she whispered.

He turned over in his bed. –Leave me alone, baby Potter.”

–You said that last time, you know,” she murmured, sounding sad. –Do you remember?”

He sighed; the memory of Lily visiting him when he’d fallen off his broom had not been far from his mind these past days. If she’d never visited, would any of this happened? He might still be with Ariadne, keeping his grandparents happy ...

–Lily, just go.”

He heard the chair legs scraping back on the floor, and turned only when he was sure she’d left.

***

–Oh Merlin, what the hell are you doing here?” Scorpius demanded, as a figure in robes sat heavily down in the seat. –Have you come to have a go for being mean to your sister?”

–Not exactly,” Albus replied, and grinned.

–Uhm, well, what are you doing here, then?” Scorpius asked, feeling uncomfortable. In the seven years they’d known each other, Potter had barely said a word to him unless they were arguing. The thought that he was paying him a visit because he was concerned was – not just odd – but downright creepy.

–I mean, not exactly my sister,” whispered Albus, and with a wink, turned the front of his hair blue.

–Teddy!”

–Shhh!” Teddy warned. –If Madam Bones or Professor Vector discover I’m at Hogwarts, I’ll be in serious trouble, and so will Lily and Al.”

–They know?”

Teddy chuckled and leant back on the chair, relaxing in a most un-Potter like way, with his hands behind his head. –Of course they know. Lily’s worried about you, and Al agreed to keep out of everyone’s way so they don’t twig who I am.” He pulled his chair further forwards. –How are you?”

–Brilliant, as you can see,” Scorpius replied. He tried to scowl but it hurt too much, so he sighed instead. Teddy pulled a face at him. –Sorry. My collarbone isn’t mending as quickly as Madam Bones would like. Apparently, I twisted as I fell, so a simple spell won’t work. She’s giving me a potion instead.”

–And your nose? She could fix that easily.”

Scorpius looked away. –It’s not important. It doesn’t hurt much.”

–Looks very painful, and very crooked,” Teddy remarked mildly. –And you look different.”

–The pain will go.” Scorpius looked around the ward, searching for a something to say, something that would change the subject that was veering close to topics he didn’t want to touch on.

–Do you like that?” Teddy asked. –Looking different, I mean.”

–I’m not a Metamorphmagus. I don’t often get the opportunity and the last time I used a Transfiguration spell, it failed rather badly.” He turned away, not wanting to think about Lily’s hair returning to its vibrant shade of red.

–She told me what happened at Malfoy Manor,” Teddy murmured. He edged even closer, lowering his head until he could whisper. –Lily thinks it’s her fault.”

–That’s rubbish!” Scorpius jerked, suddenly causing the pain in his shoulder to ricochet through his body. –Fuck it!” he yelped, tears starting in his eyes. He gasped for air, willing the pain to subside. –None of this is her fault.”

–Then let her come and visit,” Teddy said gently. –She’s in bits, Scorpius, convinced you blame her for everything.”

–Ginny Potter was right,” Scorpius muttered.

–What about?”

–I’m a Malfoy. I can’t stop myself hurting her.”

Teddy stood up, knocking his chair over in apparent anger. As Scorpius stared at him, he saw Albus Potter’s features changing back, the nose becoming much sharper, smaller, and more ...

–Don’t do that,” Scorpius said, shuddering.

–Sorry,” Teddy muttered, and took a breath. Slowly, he resumed Albus’ visage again. –When I’m angry or frustrated, I can’t always control the morphing. Grandma says I have the Black family temper, which doesn’t help.” Picking up the chair, he turned it around and sat with its back against his chest, leaning towards Scorpius as if he were interrogating him. –Ginny told me that you kept telling her that you weren’t the same as your granddad or your dad. It impressed her, you know.” He paused for a moment, allowing his words to sink in. –What’s changed?”

–We can’t escape our pasts, Teddy,” Scorpius said wearily.

–You’re right,” Teddy replied. –We can’t run from our own pasts. My grandma says that’s what shapes us. But your dad’s past and your granddad’s – those will break you if you let it. It would be like me being denied a career because my dad was a werewolf. It’s prejudice, Scorpius. Don’t let it dictate your life.”

–Is Lily really upset?” Scorpius asked, trying to reconcile the girl insouciantly chewing on an apple, with Teddy’s description of her being ‘in bits’.

–I’ll let you be the judge of that,” Teddy replied and smiled as he beckoned to a figure by the door. –I’m going to tell Al he can come out now. You take care, cousin.”

Scorpius smiled gratefully, feeling some of his life gently sliding back into place after the shattering revelation of a few nights before. Pushing himself up to sitting position, he smiled tentatively as Lily approached. –Sorry, I was such a git,” he mumbled.

–Doesn’t matter,” she whispered, giving him a kiss.

Gingerly shifting onto his side, he gestured for her to sit on the bed, overwhelmed with relief when she acquiesced and allowed him to run his fingers though her soft, shining hair. And as he lowered his lips to hers, luxuriating in the sweetness of her response, he felt another fragment inside of him heal.

–How do you feel today?” she asked as she snuggled into his chest.

–Bloody awful,” he admitted wryly. –But much better now you’re here."