Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

High by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
He could feel her shaking against him, her shoulders jiggling up and down against his chest, which sent a nagging jolt through his shoulder. Shifting position on the grass, he pushed her forwards slightly. –What are you laughing at?” he asked. –I didn’t think History of Magic could ever be amusing.”

–Nothing,” she said, her voice bubbling with merriment. –Just um ...”

–Are you actually revising?” he interrupted, his eyes narrowing. He stopped looking at his Charms textbook and peered over her shoulder to see Lily hastily stuffing some parchment into her pocket.

–Oi! Is that the Map?”

–Uh ...” Lily blushed, but the smile didn’t leave her face. –It’s nothing,” she said, then started giggling again. –Sorry, I needed a break. I have been at this all afternoon.”

–No, you’ve been here for precisely forty-five minutes,” Scorpius retorted, then as his collarbone protested at the sudden movement, he relented. Putting his book down, he pulled her closer to him. –Who were you spying on? Not your brother, I hope.”

–Ughh, no,” she replied. –Besides, he’s in the library.” She grinned. –I was looking at Mrs Zabini and the baby.”

–And that’s funny, why?” he asked, rolling his eyes.

She started to laugh again, but instead of answering the question, handed him the map.

–What am I looking for?” he said, scanning it until at last he located Mrs Zabini, who wasn’t in the Slytherin Dungeons but was talking to the old Divination professor in her rooms. There were three dots there: Lavender Zabini, Sybil Trelawney, and one marked ‘Baby Zabini’. He stared at the map for a few more seconds, still wondering what was so funny, when the writing became fuzzy.

–Oh, the baby has a name!” he exclaimed as the name Zacharias appeared then rapidly vanished. He frowned. –Uh, no, my mistake, he doesn’t.”

–Exactly,” Lily said giggling again. –Mrs Zabini has been trying to fix on a name for ages, but keeps changing her mind. Yesterday she seemed very keen on Irish names; he was Seamus for a good half an hour, but then Professor Zabini walked in, and that name never appeared again.”

–Zacharias Zabini sounds awful!” Scorpius declared, now amused and studying the map more intently. –Oh, she’s thinking of Tiresias, now...”

–Tiresias?” Lily grabbed the map back from him. –She can’t do that to the poor little baby. What sort of a name is that, anyway?”

–He was a Seer, I think,” Scorpius replied. –Perhaps dear old Sybil is giving her ideas.”

They watched for a few more minutes as the name Tiresias dissolved into the paper to be replaced by Baby, again.

–Damn!” Lily muttered. –I think she’s given up for now, and she’s leaving Professor Trelawney’s rooms.”

–Study!” Scorpius ordered. –Come on, you don’t have much more to read.”

–History of Magic is boring!” she said, making a moue.

–Yup, but easy to pass. There’s one exam, and as long as you cram a few goblin names and dates in your head, you’ll get an Acceptable very easily.”

–Dad didn’t,” she muttered. –He got a Troll and Mum failed, too.”

Scorpius scowled at her then stopped because it made his nose throb. He grinned instead, held her closer and whispered, –Then you can show them how thick they are, and what a clever daughter they have.”

She grumbled a bit longer yet still picked up her book, rolling away from him and onto her front so she could read more easily. Scorpius shifted against the tree. With his arm immobilised to help the collarbone heal, he was struggling to find a comfortable position. He knew it would have been better to go to the library, but the appeal of the early May sunshine and Lily’s company had proved irresistible.

–You haven’t taken your potion,” Lily reminded him, when she’d finally finished the book. –Madam Bones only agreed to let you out, if you drank it on the hour.”

–Don’t nag,” he grumbled, but reached into his bag and pulled out a flask full of purple liquid. –It tastes foul. I’m not sure I don’t prefer the pain.”

–You don’t want it getting worse,” she warned. –Not today.”

In the silence that followed, he swigged down the potion and resisted the urge to spit it out. Then he lowered himself down onto his good side and tried to pull her towards him.

–Shouldn’t you be getting ready?” she asked gently.

–S’pose so,” he muttered.

Lily stood up, and in that moment, he felt darkness descend, gloom blanketing him like an ill-fitting shroud. –Come on. I’ll walk back with you.” She bent down and picked up his bag as well as her own, and hoisted them both over her shoulder.

–I’m not totally useless,” he muttered, trying to take the bag from her.

–You don’t want to make it worse, and Madam Bones did say -”

–That I shouldn’t carry anything, not even on my good shoulder,” he finished gloomily. –At least the Quidditch season’s over.”

–And you should be recovered in time for the exams,” she said, and took his hand in hers. –How are the fifth years today?”

Scorpius shrugged. –They’re okay. Rokeby snores and Harper keeps having wet dreams about some girl in Ravenclaw, but they’re reasonably friendly.”

–And Vaisey hasn’t tried anything else?”

–He’s avoiding me,” Scorpius replied and didn’t tell her that the rest of the Quidditch team, even Chloe Nott – whom he suspected had a crush on him – had also stopped talking to him. It wasn’t as if he minded that much; he’d always known their only commonality was the game. Even the fact that they were housemates didn’t automatically make them friends. As they meandered back to the castle, Scorpius caught sight of Hugo and a bunch of boys from his year, larking around in the lake and teasing a blonde-haired girl who was sitting on the bank reading a book.

He stared at them, envying the innocent fun; then his eyes switched to the girl. Every so often, she’d look up, scowl, yet made no attempt to move.

–That’s Genister Avery, isn’t it?”

Lily put down the bags and looked across to the girl. –Mmm, Hugo’s got a bit of a thing for her. How do you know her?”

–Uh ... she was at that lunch my grandma held.” He stopped, not wanting to think about the other time he’d disappointed his family.

–Hugo has no chance, then,” Lily said, snorting. –Is she only after a pure-blood?”

Hearing the spark of jealousy in her voice, Scorpius smirked. –She’s all right, actually. But I think she’d prefer Hugo to read a book than piss about.” He studied her again, watching as Genister smoothed a wispy lock of hair behind her ear, and a stray memory flitted into his head. –I think ...” He trailed off.

–What?”

–Is Hugo seeing her?”

–Not that I know of,” Lily replied. –Why do you ask?”

He didn’t answer, but resumed walking, changing direction so they reached Genister.

–Hello,” she said, smiling as she lifted her head from the book. –I heard about your injury. Are you feeling better?”

–Mmm,” Scorpius replied vaguely. Squeezing Lily’s hand, he pulled her down to the ground with him. Both girls looked surprised but neither said a thing. –I need to thank you, don’t I? Sorry, I’ve only just realised.”

–Thank me for what?” Genister asked.

–You were there, weren’t you? The night Vaisey and I were fighting. I heard someone screaming for help, but wasn’t sure who it was,” he explained.

She smiled lopsidedly and resumed reading her book. –I wasn’t out that night, Malfoy. I was tucked up in my dorm way before lights out.” Then she looked at him, her sharp blue eyes taking in his intense gaze before switching to where Hugo was still playing with his friends. –I certainly wasn’t waiting for a certain Gryffindor who had promised to meet me but failed to turn up.”

He smiled at her, then painfully got to his feet, stretching his hand down to help Lily. –Understood, Miss Avery. Thanks anyway.”

–It was the least I could do,” she whispered. –If you hadn’t run away from that lunch, my parents wouldn’t have stopped nagging me about you.”

He laughed as he and Lily walked away, pleased to have done something right by someone on that horrible occasion, but as he entered the castle and headed towards the dungeons he felt the earlier gloom descending.

–Wish you were coming with me,” he muttered, knowing he was being selfish, for why on earth would anyone voluntarily want to go to a funeral.

Standing on tiptoes, Lily raised one hand and ruffled the hair on the nape of his neck. –Wish I was, too,” she whispered. She started to kiss him, her lips softly prising his apart. –You’ll be okay.”

–Will I?”

–Yes, Professor Zabini will look after you, and your mum will be there.”

–Dad and Grandma are still angry.”

–I know,” she said, –but he’ll come round. It’s obvious he loves you, Scorpius. It was just shock, and he did send you a letter.”

Scorpius sighed. The letter from his dad had been thin. It wasn’t that his dad usually wrote much to him, but his letters when they came were witty, always asking what was going on. The last letter had been a bald note informing him of the funeral arrangements and the part he was required to play.

–He could have asked your mum to send the details,” she said, her mind keeping pace with his thoughts.

–He wanted to make sure I knew, Lily,” Scorpius said, unable to keep the bitterness out of his voice. –He was ordering me to attend.”

He walked slowly back to his new dorm. Although he’d protested earlier in the year about moving out, now that he’d left, he really didn’t care. The fifth year boys didn’t speak much to him, but all had helped him unpack his stuff, Rokeby gazing at the Firebolt X with something approaching awe.

He had new black robes hanging in his wardrobe. Arriving two days ago, the morning after his dad’s note, they would have fitted perfectly, but for the strapping on his arm. The stiff black fabric rubbed awkwardly on his collarbone, but he had nothing else suitable.

–You all right, Malfoy?” Aaron Harper asked.

–Mmm, shoulder’s a bit sore, that’s all,” he replied, touched that the younger boy had noticed. –What’s that you’re revising?”

–Astronomy,” Harper said mournfully. –Bloody useless subject. Can’t see the point at all.”

–Good when you study Potions,” Scorpius said. –Knowing that moon phases increase the potency of certain ingredients.” He grinned. –Sorry, I sound like Sinistra.”

–Makes sense, I s’pose,” Harper replied, sitting up on his bed and closing the book. –Good luck with this afternoon. Hope it’s not too awful.”

For a moment, Scorpius didn’t know what to say. He fiddled a bit with his lapel, and swallowed. –Thanks,” he muttered, then reached down into his trunk and pulled out a folder from the bottom. –I’ve got some old Astronomy essays in here. Might be useful, if you want to look through.”

Harper smiled, genuinely pleased, and accepted the cache of parchment. Felling slightly happier, Scorpius left the dorm, making his way to Professor Zabini’s study.

–It means ‘Bringer of Light’, Blaise,” Mrs Zabini was saying. –Luca Zabini – it suits him.”

Scorpius grinned and lurked outside the door, wondering what else he’d hear.

–Lavender, think about it, just for a second,” Professor Zabini replied. –Luca .... What sort of a name is that?”

–Italian!” she exclaimed. –I thought you’d approve.”

–I would – normally,” he protested, –but what does it remind you of?”

–No idea,” she replied. –I like the name and the meaning.”

The professor sighed. –Given where I’m going this afternoon, don’t you think it’s a bit odd that we give our son a name so reminiscent of the deceased? People might think it’s a tribute. Now, I didn’t mind the old bastard, but I’m pretty sure -”

–Merlin, no!” Lavender gasped. –I hadn’t thought of that.”

Having heard enough, Scorpius knocked on the door, fixed a half smile rather than a scowl on his face, and waited.

–Good, good, you’re here early,” Professor Zabini said on seeing him. –Take a seat, Scorpius. I have to go and change this set of robes. My son decided to spit up all over them.”

Scorpius sat and watched as Mrs Zabini hoisted the baby onto her shoulder and began to walk around the room, jiggling the baby and whispering in a sing-song fashion.

–Any luck with a name yet, Mrs Zabini?” he asked politely.

–Not yet,” she muttered. The baby started to gurgle, so she stopped walking and turned to look at Scorpius. –How did your parents choose your name?”

–Um, I was born late October, in Scorpio, and ... well ... stars and constellations are a Black family tradition.” He shrugged.

–That’s interesting,” Professor Zabini said, refastening his robes as he walked back in. –Aries Zabini. I like that.”

–Except he was born on April the twenty-second, which makes him a Taurean,” Lavender interrupted, rolling her eyes. –And I’m not calling him after a bull! Ughh! Why is this so difficult?”

–We’ll think of something, eventually. We might even agree, Lavender, just ... not Angellus, okay?” Bending down, the professor kissed his wife on the cheek, stroked his son’s hair and then straightened up to Scorpius. –Professor Vector has an authorised Portkey in her office. It will take us straight to the Manor. I thought that would be the least jarring way to travel for you.”

–Fine,” Scorpius muttered, slowly getting to his feet. The pain in his shoulder was dull but ever present; it must have shown on his face because Mrs Zabini was looking at him with utmost concern.

–If you’re not up to this, Scorpius, then I’m sure your family will understand. It will be a long day and you’re only just out of hospital.”

He exchanged looks with the professor. His wife might not understand, but he was sure Zabini understood about the duty he owed to his family. –I’m okay. The potion I’m taking works very well.” He smiled at her, seeking to deflect her mild inquisition. –Good luck thinking of a name.”

She sighed. –At this rate his Hogwart’s letter will be addressed to Baby Zabini.”


If the Portkey was supposed to be the gentlest way of travelling, Scorpius hated to think what the other methods would have been like. He stumbled on landing, saved from falling only by Professor Vector grabbing the front of his robe, but the action still made him cry out with pain.

–Have you brought your potion?” she asked sharply. Having only been given an abridged version of Vaisey’s attack, the headmistress wasn’t entirely sympathetic towards Scorpius. The fact that he still hadn’t told his parents sat oddly with Professor Vector, but despite her fondness for Astoria, she abided by Scorpius’ wishes and did not inform them.

–Yes,” he replied, panting slightly. –I’ll take some before I go in.” He caught his breath and ignored the increasing pain, assuming a bland expression.

The grounds of Malfoy Manor were at their finest. The peacocks, much beloved by his grandfather, strutted across the lawns, the display of ivory plumage fanning around them, opulently setting the scene. Scorpius had never cared for the birds, their mean eyes belying their beauty. As manicured as the estate, and yet, without their tail feathers, they were just white squawking birds.

–It’s this way,” he muttered to both professors and led them across the main lawn towards the family cemetery, picking his way through the winding cobbled path. One of his ancestors, a century or more before, had built a folly in the grounds. The strange building, now covered in ivy, had been the setting for many a Malfoy funeral, its ugliness lending a certain solemnity to the proceedings. As a child, Scorpius had played here, running through the folly, darting behind gravestones, not appreciating the grandeur or the history of the place.

He faltered at the arched doorway. There were more people here than he’d thought would attend. Even now, the Malfoys weren’t a popular family, but they were still rich. Sardonically, he wondered if the respect these people paid to his grandfather was more to catch his father’s eye, now that Draco was the head of the family.

–Your mother is there,” murmured Professor Vector, and with a gentle shove in the small of his back propelled him forwards. –You should sit with her.”

Scorpius swallowed and shook his head. –I’m expected to be at the front. I’m supposed to say something.”

–You don’t have to,” muttered Professor Zabini. –You’re clearly not well, Scorpius, and no one will expect-”

–I’m a Malfoy,” he muttered back. –Sorry, sir, but I know what’s expected.”

His mum, in the row behind, touched him on the shoulder when he slid into place. He didn’t turn around, preferring to keep his eyes focussed on the ebony coffin on top of a marble plinth. He muttered something to her, wondering if his words made sense, all the while aware that his father sat stiffly next to him.

–How is Grandma?” he asked, hoping to bridge the chasm between them.

Draco shrugged. –How do you think?” he muttered sarcastically. He let his eyes drift to Scorpius then started. –What the hell has happened to you?”

–Nothing,” Scorpius mumbled. –Accident at school. I’m fine.”

In alarm, Astoria pulled on his robe, inadvertently setting the nerve endings in his shoulder screeching. –What sort of accident?” she hissed. –And why weren’t we told?”

–Not now, Mum,” he whispered. –It’s not important.”

–It is if you’re-”

–Astoria!” Draco rapped, raising his voice slightly. –Now is not the time. The boy is here. He’s clearly fine.”

Astoria slumped back in the pew, unused to the rebuke from her husband, so Scorpius turned around and smiled reassuringly, but as he did, he caught his grandmother’s frosty expression and hurriedly straightened his face.

A venerable looking wizard approached the front, climbed up to a lectern, and produced a scroll from his robe. Scorpius didn’t look at him, but let the celebrant’s words wash over him. He was a dull speaker; there was nothing behind his words apart from a recital of the deeds of the deceased’s life. He spoke of Lucius Malfoy’s pride in his name, in his charitable zeal, his generosity to his friends, and finally the love for his family.

Scorpius could only remember the malevolent glare and final words his grandfather spat at him.

His father stood to deliver his eulogy. More impassioned, more personal, he grabbed the attention of those who had come to pay their respects, telling them all of Lucius Malfoy’s integrity to his own beliefs and the burning need to do right by his family.

Scorpius stared at his dad, and had to admit it was nicely done. The speech skirted around unpalatable truths but told no lies.

–And now my son, Scorpius, wishes to pay his respects.”

Scorpius froze.

–Scorpius,” his mum whispered. –It’s your turn.”

–I can’t,” he mumbled.

–Yes you can, darling,” she replied.

He stood warily, heartened by her support, yet still unsure and shuffled to the end of the pew. His dad strode back and waited for Scorpius to edge out, so he could return to his rightful place beside his mother.

She should have died!

Stumbling up to the lectern, his heart thumping so hard he could feel his body pulsing. Scorpius started to breathe heavily, his hands clammy.

She should have died!

–No, Granddad, you didn’t mean that,” he whispered.

A faint murmuring reached his ears; he stared out at the assembled mourners, half looking at him and the others looking away embarrassed at his impotence. In his pocket were words, a jumble of lines on parchment. He brought it out and heard the audible sigh of relief from his parents.

–My Granddad,” he began, placing the speech in front of him, –was a wonder-”

She should have died!

He gasped, a knot in his throat rendering him temporarily silent. The murmuring started up again, an uncomfortable mixture of whispers and rustled paper. Scorpius licked his dry lips and wondered if he could Summon himself a shot of Firewhisky - anything to get him through this tortuous event. His grandmother stared stonily ahead; his father glared at him. He looked away, scanning the room at the familiar faces. Then a movement at the back of the room caught his attention. It was slight, but he could not look away from a woman leaning forwards and gripping the pew in front of her. She was old, he thought, and probably a friend of his grandmother’s, but not one he’d seen before. Unlike his grandmother, and the majority of the witches here, she wore her hair loose past her shoulders, yet she retained a look of haughty grandeur. Beside her sat a younger man, black hair and nondescript features. He too was staring at Scorpius, as if willing him on. His heart slowed to a steadier beat, and his lips were far less dry.

–Sorry,” he muttered, and with great deliberation, he screwed up the parchment, even managing a whimsical smile as he assessed his audience. –These words here don’t really capture what I want to say about Granddad, so forgive me if I sound unpractised.



–When I was younger, I spent a great deal of time here,” he said steadily. –My parents were away a fair amount, so I used to spend my days with my grandparents. I remember those days with great fondness.” He grinned, happy that some memories remained unsullied by life. –Granddad bought me my first broom. I wasn’t supposed to tell Mum and Dad, but he bought me one when I was five and set me loose on the lawn. He even laughed when I scared the peacocks. Yeah, Granddad taught me many things, but the one thing I remember above all else is his mantra: ‘to hold my head high’.” He glanced across at the front row; his grandmother was looking at him with something approaching approval, his father as yet unsure.

–As Dad told you, Lucius Malfoy was a man who lived by certain ideals and he instilled those ideals in his son, as fathers are wont to do, and as my father has tried to do with me.”

She should have died!

Scorpius closed his eyes. His collarbone was throbbing now, the thick robes pressing on the nerves and sharpening the dull ache to a stabbing pain.

–Sorry, Ganda. Your shoes are too big to fill. I’m sure to be a disappointment,” he finished, his murmuring voice rendering the room silent as they craned forwards to catch his words.

It was over. He’d paid his tribute, couching his words in the same mixture of half-truths his father had done and hoping it would be acceptable. And somewhere along the way in that improvised speech, an earlier image of his granddad taking pleasure in Scorpius’ flying, slipped into place.

Turning, he walked back to his pew, not daring to look to the side.


–Now, darling,” his mother said, linking her arm into his and thus preventing him from walking off, –you are going to tell your dad and me what happened to you at school.”

–It’s nothing,” he said, trying to shrug her off. On the far side of the lawn, he could see the lady from earlier. She was tall, elegant looking, and not out of place in this gathering, yet she didn’t belong. Or perhaps, he mused, she doesn’t want to belong. The man who’d accompanied her was nowhere to be seen, but she seemed to know people there, at least she was on nodding acquaintance with some of them.

–Who’s that, Mum?” He asked, hoping to distract her as she steered him towards his dad and Professor Zabini.

–Don’t change the subject,” she said. He glanced at her, noticing she’d fixed her widest smile on her face as she approached the professor. –Blaise, darling. Scorpius is being very reticent about his injuries.”

He met Professor Zabini’s eyes and knew he couldn’t get away with saying nothing. For although his Head of House would prevaricate, Professor Vector was itching to tell his mother what had happened. –I got in a fight, that’s all,” he explained.

–And no one bothered to contact us,” Astoria stated. –Honestly Blaise, I am his mother and have the right to know.”

–Your son didn’t want you worried,” the professor replied calmly. –He is of age, and thus we have to take his wishes into account.”

Looking not in the slightest bit mollified, Astoria turned to Scorpius. –Your nose is crooked. Doesn’t Madam Bones perform simple spells anymore?” she asked as she raised her wand.

–Leave it!” Scorpius said abruptly, and turned his head away, sharply wrenching his collarbone and bringing tears to his eyes.

–Scorpius has been adamant about his treatment,” Professor Zabini murmured. –I’m not altogether sure why.”

–What has happened to the boy who did this?” Astoria demanded as she lowered her wand. –Expulsion, I hope.”

–Confined to his house between lessons.”

–Is that all?” Draco sounded outraged, and Scorpius wondered why until he muttered his next words. –Oh, let me guess, it was Potter’s son, or one of those interminable Weasley children being given preferential -”

–Dad, it was Johnson Vaisey,” Scorpius interrupted. –I provoked him. He lashed out. It’s fine.”

–Johnson Vaisey!” Astoria exclaimed. –But his parents are here. How dare -”

–Mum, just stop,” Scorpius hissed. –I’ve told you that it’s fine. We had a fight, with fists instead of wands, and I ended up the worse for it. Just forget about it.”

Draco studied him carefully, his grey eyes, so like his grandfather’s, assessing his injuries, lingering on the crooked nose. –Perhaps he knocked some sense into you,” he said at last.

–Perhaps,” Scorpius mumbled in reply.

Professor Zabini coughed and stepped away. –Draco, as I was saying, I can’t stay too long, I’m afraid, not with Lavender and the baby.”

–Congratulations, by the way,” Astoria put in. –You must give Lavender our best, mustn’t he, Draco?”

–I will,” Professor Zabini replied, addressing her when Draco didn’t answer. –Lavender is fretting over names, but our son seems supremely unconcerned.”

–Enjoy it whilst it lasts,” Draco remarked sourly, his eyes boring into Scorpius. –They’re far more trouble when they’re older.”

The Professor raised his eyebrows, but continued, –My mother wished me to pass on her deepest condolences. She has been ill recently, or she would have attended.”

–She likes a funeral,” Astoria muttered under her breath, winking at Scorpius.

He didn’t smile back. Despite his mother’s attempt at levity, the unsaid words between himself and his dad were threatening to engulf him. He needed to talk - to properly talk - but knew he needed to pick his time.

–Scorpius can show you the best place to Apparate,” Draco was saying. –He needs to show his face anyway.”

–Uh ... I was going to return with -”

–You will make yourself agreeable to our guests,” reprimanded Draco. –It is what your grandmother wants and what your grandfather would expect.”

Swallowing, Scorpius nodded and then stepped away with his professor. He felt like a fraud being here, unsure if he should be mourning when his feelings were so conflicted.

But then, he thought, most of these people never liked Granddad, so one more fraud shouldn’t matter.

–If you wish to come back with me, Scorpius,” Professor Zabini murmured, when they arrived at the field where the Anti-Apparition spells had been lifted, –then I will take full responsibility.”

–It’s okay, sir, I’ll return with Professor Vector as planned,” he replied. –I should show my face. It’s expected.”

For a moment, the professor looked exasperated, but then his features resumed their normal blasé expression. He started to turn, then paused. –I take it your parents know about Miss Potter.”

–Uh ... yeah, you could say that,” Scorpius muttered, uncomfortable discussing this with his Head of House. –Dad’s not very happy.”

–Well, you could hardly expect him to be rolling out the red carpet,” the professor replied dryly. –And finding out from The Prophet, the day after your grandfather died, probably didn’t help. Give him a few weeks, and he’ll be calmer.”

–Yeah, sure,” Scorpius murmured, forcing a smile as he watched Professor Zabini leave. Inside he felt something tug. The last time he’d been at Malfoy Manor, Lily had been with him. Nothing could get rid of the sparse fact that she’d not been welcome and now, he didn’t think he was either.


His grandmother was holding court in her lounge, and his father outside, when he returned. He wondered where the best place was to start ‘showing his face’ but after his father jerked his head towards the Manor, Scorpius knew he was expected at his grandmother’s side.

She hadn’t talked to him since the service. When they’d buried Lucius Malfoy, his wife had stood erect by the graveside, unrelenting in her stillness, until that last moment when the coffin had been lowered to the ground. He’d watched her flinch away from the action, and her hand had stretched towards her son, touching his briefly, before she composed herself. A small gesture - brief yet telling - Narcissa Malfoy would carry on, her head held high.

–An excellent speech,” one of the guests called as Scorpius entered through the French windows.

Narcissa looked up, and, for a moment, she smiled up at him, and then her face clouded over. –My grandson spent much of his childhood here; it is a shame he could only remember the flying.”

–Dad had already delivered a glowing eulogy, Grandma,” Scorpius replied, walking towards her. –Anything else would have been repetition.”

He bent down to her, touching his lips to her cheek, knowing with certain satisfaction that she would not demur because she needed to keep up appearances. She accepted the kiss; there was no warmth, and the hand she raised was not to draw him nearer but to push him away.

–I did not expect the modesty,” she whispered. –But you are quite right, Scorpius, you cannot fill his shoes - not now, not ever.”

–I know,” he replied, holding her gaze. I wouldn’t want to - not now, not ever - not now I know.

She flinched. Belatedly he remembered that his grandmother had learnt the rudiments of Legilimency when she was a girl.

–You dared to bring that girl here,” she whispered, drawing him back to her, anxious that no one would hear. –It killed him.”

He staggered back, repelled by her venom and her utter conviction. –I-I-I didn’t mean to,” he stuttered. –Grandma, please. I didn’t want that to happen.”

There was a ghastly silence as the guests in the room stopped their conversations. Narcissa smiled at them all. –You may have read about my grandson’s unfortunate act of generosity in The Sunday Prophet. Needless to say the journalists involved, exaggerated the incident, no doubt to cause mischief and embarrassment to a grieving family.” She dabbed her eyes with a white lace handkerchief, although Scorpius could see no tears. –Scorpius, you really must pursue getting a retraction or our friends will assume you really are ‘involved’ with the Potter girl.”

He licked his lips and tried to speak, but his mouth was so dry the words stuck in his throat. And all the while he was aware that every single person in the room was waiting on his next utterance. She was his grandmother and for all Lucius Malfoy’s stature, she was the mainstay of the family. Her word was final and even his mum was loathe to cross her.

–Retraction?” he started to splutter, then something caught his eye outside the window. A man and a woman, unmatched in age, watching the scene as it unfolded. The man smiled a faint ghost of a smile, and in that instant Scorpius knew.

Narcissa was still staring at him, one eyebrow raised as she mockingly dared him to defy her. –Yes, Scorpius - a retraction.” She sighed. –I can see I’ll have to get your father to sort this out.”

–No,” Scorpius replied and at last found his voice. –You can’t retract something that’s true, Grandma. I am seeing Lily Potter and have been since Christmas. I’m sorry if this upsets or offends you, but - AH!” He yelped and jerked away as she hit him around the face, using not her hand but her wand, striking him with all the force she could muster.

–Leave my sight,” she hissed.

The welt on his cheek had split his lip again, adding to the pain already throbbing though his body, but he didn’t care. For the second time in two weeks, he’d provoked someone to an action they wouldn’t normally consider. He’d deserved Vaisey’s attack. Whatever his opinion of Ariadne, he should not have voiced it quite so volubly. He’d wanted the other boy’s fists to pound away at him; so desperate was he to feel something other than horror.

He deserved this, too, for the pain he was causing his grandma. But he was not a child any longer, and not her child, ever. The separation, which should have been by degrees, would be better like this. Backing away, he watched as she took another deep breath and sipped at her sherry not sparing him another glance, frighteningly calm after the brief storm.

–Are you all right?” someone murmured when he reached the folly.

–I will be,” Scorpius replied and removed his potion flask again as he faced the nondescript man from earlier. –Thank you for asking, Teddy.”

The man chuckled. –You knew it was me. My morphing must be getting stale.”

Scorpius smiled lopsidedly as he faced him. –Actually it’s the lady you’re with. That’s your grandmother, right?”

Teddy nodded. –She wanted to come. Not sure why as she hasn’t had any contact with her sister for decades.” He shrugged. –She said something about family ties, but personally I think she was curious about you.”

–Me?”

–Uh-huh. My fault entirely. I’ve mentioned you a few times.”

–Teddy, I thought you were getting me a drink?” Teddy’s grandmother, appearing alongside her grandson, stopped speaking when she saw Scorpius, eyeing him with a degree of mistrust, he thought.

–Mrs Tonks,” he said, putting away the flask, and holding out his hand to her. –It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

–Scorpius Malfoy, I presume,” she murmured, and then held out her hand. –Teddy, I would still like a drink before we leave. Would you be so kind?”

–Sure, Gran,” Teddy replied, and smirked at Scorpius. –I’ll ... er ... leave you to your interrogation.”

–My grandson talks about you,” she said when Teddy was out of earshot. –He’s curious about my side of the family.”

–Me too,” Scorpius replied. –Er ... well, I mean his side of the family. Uhm .... you, really, I suppose.”

She smiled slightly at him. –I suspect you know very little about me, Scorpius. I cannot imagine your grandmother mentioning my name.”

–Nope,” he replied lightly. –I don’t think she ever has.” He paused, wondering how to phrase his question. –Why are you here, Mrs Tonks?”

She smiled serenely on some point in the distance and following her gaze, Scorpius saw her focus was on the summerhouse. –I used to come here as a child,” she remarked, matter-of-factly. –There was a stream we used to play in.”

–It’s been dry for years,” he replied, –but I remember it.”

–I have returned too late,” she murmured, more to herself that to him, he thought. Then she shook her head, and turned to face him. A small sad smile curved her lips and he caught a glimpse of the beautiful girl she must have once been before life took its toll. –I’m not sure why I came here today, Scorpius. I told Teddy it was a matter of family ties. I told myself that I missed my sister and wanted the chance to put things right between us.”

–But ...” He sensed the hesitancy in her voice.

–I could have made things right before. I could have contacted her after the battle, but I didn’t. I was grieving for a daughter our sister had killed. Narcissa’s son lived, and I resented that. And despite Teddy being the most wonderful grandson I could ever hope to have - he is not my Dora.”

–Mrs Tonks, why are you telling me this?”

She looked back to the summerhouse and smiled serenely. –Family is the strongest bond you’ll ever have, Scorpius, but that doesn’t mean it has to bind you for life.” Raising her hand, she waved in the air, and Scorpius watched as Teddy strode casually towards them.

–Good chat?” he asked innocently.

–Informative, I think you’ll find,” Mrs Tonks replied. –Although I believe your cousin has learnt more about me than I have of him.” She drained the juice Teddy had brought her and held out her arm. –I would like to leave now.”

As Teddy took her arm, he looked across at Scorpius. –Fancy busting out early? I can get you back to Hogsmeade.”

Scorpius grinned. The offer was tempting. He could leave all of this behind and meet up somewhere with Lily, but then he sighed. –Mum’ll kill me,” he replied. –And Vector’s got an authorised Portkey especially for me, so thanks, but I’d better stay here.”

–Don’t let Cissa bully you!” Andromeda called over her shoulder as they started to walk towards the field.

–I’m fine,” he called back and started to laugh. Teddy Lupin, a perfect stranger five months before, had turned up again to offer support just when he needed him. He watched as they turned, watched as they both waved goodbye and Disapparated.

The ties of one family may have been unravelling, but others with a looser hold were tugging at him.