Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

High by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Ta Natalie ... for everything and beyond. Two things happen in this chapter that you might just have been waiting for. I just hope they aren't anti-climatic ...

It was Professor Longbottom who found him. Scorpius had taken refuge behind Greenhouse Two and collapsed in a heap on the ground. Unable to do anything but gulp for air, he’d had allowed the professor to take him to his study at the back of the greenhouses, where Professor Longbottom made him tea and offered him biscuits.

“Do you want to talk?” the professor asked, sounding both caring and a touch uncomfortable.

Scorpius shook his head.

“They’ll want to know why you left the exam early, Scorpius.”

“Couldn’t handle it,” he replied. “Pressure and all that crap.”

Professor Longbottom eyed him sceptically. “If you say so.”

“Lots of pupils run out mid-exam,” Scorpius muttered.

“Yes,” the professor agreed. “I remember it happening when I took my O.W.L.s, but not to someone like you.”

Scorpius shrugged. “Why not?”

Professor Longbottom leant forwards and snapped a biscuit in half. “Because, Scorpius, you’re a cocky pupil who knows he’s good at everything. I’ve taught you for seven years and also watched you rip apart the Gryffindor Quidditch team with both calculation and recklessness. I’ve never seen you lose your head like that.”

“First time for everything,” Scorpius muttered. He stared at the cup of tea now getting cold. “Can I go now, sir?”

“No,” Professor Longbottom replied. “At least, not until Mrs Zabini is here.”

Scorpius closed his eyes and slumped further in his seat. He wanted to protest. He wanted to just storm off and avoid the circling storm, but out of the study window, he could see not only Mrs Zabini but Madam Bones, too.

Shit, he thought, I’m screwed.

“Thank you, Neville,” Mrs Zabini murmured as she walked into the room directly towards Scorpius. “I think it’s for the best if I take him back to Slytherin, now.”

“Not St. Mungo’s,” Scorpius muttered, gesturing towards Madam Bones. “Isn’t that why she’s here?”

“Madam Bones is here to check you’re not ill,” Professor Longbottom said. “We were told you looked pale and as if you were about to be sick.”

“I’m always pale,” Scorpius replied sullenly. “I’m not ill.”

“So you have no excuse for running out mid-paper,” Madam Bones said sternly. She placed her hand on his forehead, and assessed his face with shrewd eyes. “No sign of fever or any other malaise. If it wasn’t this particular student, I’d be prepared to swear it’s merely exam nerves.”

With a sigh, Lavender touched Scorpius on the shoulder. “Come on. Let’s get you back to Slytherin before the others finish the exam. You can explain to me and Professor Zabini exactly what the problem is.”

“Do I have to?” he asked, sounding weary.

For a moment, he thought he saw a glimmer of a smile on her face before she replied. “Yes, Scorpius, this time you’re going to talk to me, even if I have to Spellotape you to the chair.”

He trudged back to the dungeons with her, not in the least bit surprised when she walked him through the Professor’s study and into their private quarters at the back.

“You found him, then?” Professor Zabini remarked, barely lifting his head from the book he was reading. Scorpius could tell his Head of House was unamused; he wondered if he’d informed his parents yet of their son’s latest disgrace.

“Neville found him,” Mrs Zabini replied. “Scorpius, take a seat and I’ll fetch some tea.”

“Not for me, really,” Scorpius muttered, trying a grin. “Professor Longbottom has already made me two cups, and added at least three spoonfuls of sugar. I’m not suffering from shock or anything. I just cocked up an exam.”

“You heard him, Lavender,” Professor Zabini said, at last looking up from his book and giving Scorpius a cool glance. “He’s fine and should go back to his dorm to pull himself together.”

“No,” she replied firmly. “If I hadn’t listened to you, Zabini, then this could all have been sorted out by now. I knew he needed to talk, but you kept telling me he was dealing with it. Well, this isn’t dealing with it and I “” She broke off as a baby’s cry could be heard from another room.

“I’ll go,” the professor said smoothly, and although he sounded calm, Scorpius was pretty sure he was pleased his son had interrupted Mrs Zabini’s rant. “I’ll leave it to you then, darling,” he finished sweetly.

“Git,” Mrs Zabini muttered under her breath, and then turned back to Scorpius. “Are you going to tell me what happened in the exam?”

“Nothing.” He shrugged, but knew she wasn’t going to be satisfied with that answer. The baby had stopped crying but his Head of House showed no sign of coming back. “There was a question on the paper about Unforgiveable Curses and I couldn’t answer it. That’s all.”

“Why not?”

He shrugged again. “Dunno. Just hadn’t revised properly, I suppose.”

“Or perhaps it reminded you too much of recent events,” Mrs Zabini stated succinctly.

“Boll “ er “ rubbish,” he retorted.

“What happened the night Lucius Malfoy died?”

“How should I know?” he asked, feigning astonishment. “I found out from our house-elf.”

“Oh for Merlin’s sake, Scorpius. Stop thinking you can bullshit me,” she snapped. “I’m a journalist. I can spot a story and a lie from a mile away.” She paused, and glanced at the door leading to the bedrooms. “Look, I haven’t said anything to my husband, and I won’t, I promise, but I do know you were at Malfoy Manor when your granddad died.”

“How do “”

“How do you think?” she replied angrily. “Scorpius, I found Lily in the kitchens one evening when you were still in the hospital wing. She didn’t want to tell me anything because she was too scared you’d both be expelled, but she was finding it hard to cope, especially as you wouldn’t see her.”

Scorpius gritted his teeth, trying to quell the irritation churning inside of him. “She had no right to say anything.”

“She saw someone die, Scorpius! And was told she’d caused it. How the hell did you think she was going to react?”

Instantly the irritation ceased and shock took hold. “I didn’t think -”

“No, you didn’t think,” Lavender agreed, but not in the harsh tone of earlier. “I didn’t expect you to, if I’m honest, and Lily is okay. She’s a tough kid. It’s you I’m worried about.”

“I’m f-”

“No,” she said calmly and with infinite patience, “you’re not ‘fine’. You’ve lost your granddad, were there when he died and had to endure Draco’s accusations. You returned to Hogwarts, provoked poor Johnson into beating you up, spent a week in hospital and then attended the funeral. And this past month, all you’ve done is surround yourself with books. You’ve not given yourself time to breathe, let alone grieve.”

“I can’t grieve for him!” Scorpius mumbled.

“Why not?” she asked softly. “Scorpius, whatever else Lucius Malfoy was, he was also your granddad, and he loved you.”

He could feel a well of tears behind his eyes, waiting to burst through, but he couldn’t cry, didn’t want to break down in front of her. Not here, not like this.

“He was evil,” Scorpius hissed. “For years I believed all this crap about how he only did what he did to protect his family, or because he was Imperiused, but it’s not true, is it?”

“That Lucius was Imperiused?” she asked, and shook her head sadly. “He knew what he was doing at all times, Scorpius, but the wish to protect his family is probably true. I remember your dad at school; no child was ever more doted on by both his parents.” Reaching out her hand, she ruffled his hair. “He chose the wrong side, but then he wasn’t alone in that.”

“Thank you,” Scorpius muttered, feeling the tears inside of him subside. He closed his eyes and slumped back into the sofa. “Merlin, I’ve cocked things up, haven’t I?”

“You’re not as strong as you thought you were,” she remarked, and squeezed his arm. “I’m sure the examiners will understand if you can’t face the practical this afternoon.”

The practical, he thought and groaned. Before this morning, it had been the one exam he’d really been looking forward to. The chance to show where he excelled, and why he’d make an excellent Auror. Yet now the thought of casting any sort of defensive spell left him trembling. “Do you think I could just retake the whole thing in August?” he asked hesitantly.

“I think it would be best if you showed a bit of Slytherin spirit and faced them all down, Malfoy,” said Professor Zabini from the door where he was holding his son. “Lavender, he wants feeding and that’s the one thing I can’t do for him.”

“Xander, Xander, what a greedy little boy you are,” Mrs Zabini said, sighing as she collected her son from the professor. She paused in the doorway that led away from the lounge. “Be nice, Zabini! And don’t force him to do anything.”

“I don’t think I could force Scorpius to do anything,” the professor remarked ironically. “I’m merely suggesting he shows the examiners how good he really is. You never know, you might just drag your theory paper grade up to a pass.”

Scorpius got to his feet and allowed the professor to escort him to the door. “You have a name, sir, for the baby, I mean.”

Professor Zabini smiled crookedly. “We do indeed, Scorpius. Alexander Thaddeus Blaise Zabini is our final decision.”

“Good name, sir.”

“It beats Angellus or Ronald,” the professor muttered darkly. But as he ushered Scorpius out into the corridor, he smiled again. “I wonder what odds Fred Weasley has on that particular combination.”

“You know about his book?” Scorpius asked in amazement.

“Of course I know. His father was exactly the same,” the professor remarked and closed the door leaving Scorpius alone, but smiling.


Pretty sure that the story of his hasty exit would be all the way around the school now, Scorpius considered skipping lunch. But knowing the worst of the scorn was likely to come from Ariadne and Vaisey, he decided the best way to deal with any mockery was head on. So although he approached the Great Hall with trepidation, he still walked in, his head held high. It was an exam he’d cocked up, that was all.

Lily was loitering by the door, obviously waiting for him, so he slipped his hand into hers and smiled.

“I take it you’ve heard, then,” he murmured.

“Al told me,” she admitted. “What happened? Are you ill?”

“Question on the paper. Sort of freaked me out, but I’m okay, now.”

“You look pale. Are you sure you’re not coming down with something?”

Scorpius smiled at her. “I’m always pale. Lily, I’m fine. I need some lunch so I don’t faint in the middle of the practical.”

“You’re doing the exam this afternoon. Is that a good idea?”

Not caring that they were in full view of everyone, Scorpius circled his hands around her waist and dropped a kiss on her lips. “You, baby Potter, were the one who told me how important it was to get back on the broom after falling off.”

She grinned, and forgot to scold him for using that obnoxious nickname, obviously liking the determined tone in his voice. “Would you like to join me for lunch?”

“At the Gryffindor table?”

She nodded. “Ben’s there trying to cheer up Rose, who is convinced she’s failed everything, and Hugo’s managed to persuade Genister to talk to him again. It’s quite sickening, actually. He’s feeding her grapes.”

“You’ve not finished yet.” Scorpius frowned, puzzled by her light-hearted attitude. “Why are you all in celebratory mode?”

“Just us taking O.W.L.s,” she replied. “We only have History of Magic left, and as I can remember every goblin from Boddle the Badbreath to Sligo the Slinky ““

“Sligo the Slimy,” Scorpius corrected.

She pulled a face. “Okay, Sligo the Slimy. My point is that as there’s very little left for us to revise and History of Magic is incredibly dull, we’re having some fun.” She snorted. “Rose is trying to act appalled, of course, but her heart’s not really in it.” Tilting her head to one side, she quirked a smile at him. “Will you join me?”

“Mmm, why not,” he replied, and casually slinging his arm over her shoulders, he crossed the floor to the Gryffindor table, aware that once again they were the focus of attention.

It wasn’t exactly a rapturous welcome when he sat at their table, and he wondered if the teachers would object, but Professor Longbottom, after catching his eye, merely nodded and returned to his lunch. And whilst Albus raised one eyebrow, he still shifted along the bench and closer to Ben, who was still reassuring Rose that missing out one of the seventeen towns affected by Dementors in recent history probably wouldn’t consign her to Troll level.

“Seventeen!” he was exclaiming. “I could only remember fourteen.”

“I don’t think they were looking for a list, anyway,” Albus added as he cut into his pork chop. “You worry too much, Rose.”

“At least you didn’t run out screaming,” Scorpius said, staring straight at her. “If anyone is going to get a Troll grade, it’ll be me.”

There was an awkward silence whilst they all thought what to say. Scorpius could hear Natalie stifling a nervous laugh, unsure whether he was joking or not. Then Albus put down his knife and fork.

“I very nearly followed you,” he muttered. “Thinking up counter-curses to question seven was making my brain hurt. I spent far too long on that one and left myself very little time for the essay.”

Touched and surprised at the gesture, Scorpius was unable to mutter anything more than a whispered thanks. Albus, himself, seemed vaguely embarrassed at their rapprochement, but managed a small grin before returning to his food. Feeling awkward, but not quite as awkward as before, Scorpius helped himself to a pork chop and some potatoes, and let the general conversation at the Gryffindor table wash over him.

“Shall we take a walk?” Lily asked when he’d finished.

He nodded and rose from the table. Lily sounded light-hearted, casual even, but there was a knowing look in her eye and he was pretty sure she was going to question him further about the exam. Sure enough, as they reached the willow tree by the lake and she pushed the green curtain of leaves aside, she started to speak.

“I know you don’t want to talk,” she began.

Scorpius placed a fingertip on her lips, and pulled her down to the ground. Leaning against the tree trunk, he sat facing her. “It was a question about Unforgiveables,” he said frankly. “I was supposed to discuss their use and possible justification. It ... uh ... brought back some memories, that’s all.” To his horror, he could feel a hot scratchy lump catching at his throat, and looked away from her.

“What memories?” she persisted gently.

He closed his eyes tight, willing the tears away but the picture of his granddad’s glee mingled with his dad’s terror kept pushing into his mind.

“What memories?” she asked again, and this time her felt her hand on his face wiping away the stubborn tears now leaking from his eyes.

“Granddad taught me the Cruciatus Curse,” he replied, now shaking. “It was before I had a wand. Merlin, I was only five, but he kept on about its power. I used to pick up sticks and practise. He found it funny and encouraged me.”

“Oh Scorpius,” Lily breathed, not sounding at all disgusted or horrified or any of the things he thought she’d be. “It’s okay, really it is.”

“What, you used the Cruciatus when you were five, did you?” he asked bitterly. “You wanted to make things writhe in pain.”

“Um, well,” she said, a slight quaver in her tone. “I used to want to hex Al and James all the time. And James invented this game once where we had to Imperio each other. I mean it didn’t work “ we were just kids “ but it used to keep us amused.”

He opened his eyes, staring at her sweet face. “And your parents didn’t mind? My mum went ballistic when she found out what Granddad had done.”

Lily snorted then hurriedly straightened her face. “Well, Dad gave us this huge lecture about the Imperius Curse, but Mum started laughing and said it was obvious he hadn’t grown up with Fred and George.” She shrugged. “We were little kids messing around. My magic hadn’t even come in.” She edged closer and cupped his face in her hands. “You were only five, Scorpius, and doing something to make your granddad happy.”

She held him, running her fingers through his hair and allowing him to rest his head on her chest. He knew his tears were soaking her robes, but she didn’t seem to care. “How come you always make me feel better, Lily?”


***


Whether it was the lunch, or the talk under the willow tree, or Lily’s presence as he walked back to the Great Hall where his last practical was to be held, Scorpius wasn’t sure, but he felt reasonably calm as he waited for his name to be called. Lily’s last exam, held in the draughty History of Magic classroom, wasn’t due to start for an hour, so she stayed, despite his protestations that he was fine now.

“Macmillan, Malfoy, Potter and Selwyn,” intoned the witch conducting the roll call.

Scorpius stood up, feeling his palms start to sweat as he gripped his wand. What if he mucked this up as well? What if he dropped his wand? Or didn’t hear the instructions properly? He swallowed, aware he was shaking, but just then, a friendly hand slipped into his. “I’ve got to go,” Lily whispered, “but you’re going to be brilliant. Just imagine it’s another Quidditch match, and you’re about to get the Snitch.”

He couldn’t quite manage a smile, but he muttered a thank you as he entered the Hall.

It was a duelling competition, each facing an examiner as an opponent. Scorpius started off shakily, by firing an easily repelled Jelly-legs Jinx, but was aware that no one else was performing well. Selwyn, a weedy-looking wizard from Ravenclaw, completely failed to remember the counter-curse to the Body-bind Spell and was left struggling for several minutes before he released himself. Ben had thrown off a hex, but his left foot was tapping uncontrollably, and Albus had doggedly fired Disarming Spells at the examiner only to see them blocked.

Swallowing, Scorpius doubled his efforts, realising that if he was distracted by the others, then he’d never finish off his opponent.

“Confundo!” he heard the examiner shout.

Spinning to avoid the spell and grasping his wand, Scorpius cried, “Rictusempra!” and beamed when he saw the hex hit the examiner square on the chest. His opponent’s wand flew through the air towards him, and he snatched at it as if it were the Snitch then strolled over to the examiner to hand it back.

“Very good, Mr Malfoy,” wheezed the man. “Now I’d like you to go behind that screen and identify the footprints of dark creatures, whilst I recover my breath.”

Scorpius grinned. He was the first of his four to finish his duel, and was pleased the dark creatures had come up in the practical, having read this book in his grandfather’s library every summer ...

Granddad...

No, he wouldn’t think of him.

“Well done!” the examiner called when he left the table having successfully identified every animal and then answered several quick fire questions on the best defence against each one. “That almost completes your practical, Mr Malfoy. However ...” He smiled in a condescending manner. “I have been told that the esteemed Harry Potter visited your class to teach the Patronus Charm. Of course, hardly anyone can cast one “ even at N.E.W.T. level “ but are you able to demonstrate any sort of ability in that direction?”

Smoothing a blank expression on his face, Scorpius stepped forwards and focused his attention on a happy thought. Then, quickly, he thrust his wand forwards, thought of catching the Snitch, and cried ‘Expecto Patronum!’ Silver dust erupted from his wand tip and swirled about him, but there was nothing corporeal.

“Not bad, Mr Malfoy,” said the examiner, turning his back and filling something in on a clipboard.

“No, wait!” Scorpius called, and then, without waiting for the go ahead, he cleared his mind of everything except the feel of Lily’s lips as he kissed her, and shouted again, “Expecto Patronum!”

This time the air was thick with silver. This time a very real form emerged triumphant from his wand. It leapt across the hall, circling the examiner, until finally returning to Scorpius. He crouched down, petting the vixen even as it disappeared under his hand.

The examiner started to clap. “Excellent,” he declared, smacking his lips together.

Scorpius heaved a sigh of relief as he left the Hall from the side entrance. If the mark was only dependent on the practical, he reckoned he’d just earned at least an Exceeds Expectations.

Without Lily as a buttress, Scorpius was unsure whether to hang around for the others. He saw a waft of silver mist in the Hall, and thought it had been Albus who’d attempted a Patronus, but wasn’t sure a form had emerged. He sat on the ground outside the Hall, slightly apart from the other N.E.W.T. students who’d finished and wondered whether to stay and wait, or go back to Slytherin.

“Glad that’s over,” Ben called out to him as he sauntered over to him. “Aren’t you?”

“Yeah,” Scorpius agreed, although somewhere inside he was feeling flat. “We can celebrate now. End of school and everything.”

“Merlin, we’re grown-ups!” Ben said.

“Do you know what you’re doing after Hogwarts, Ben?” Scorpius asked, realising he didn’t actually know much about the Head Boy despite being at school with him for seven years.

“Good question,” Ben murmured. “I applied to the Auror department, but didn’t get accepted, and am waiting to hear about International Affairs.” He shrugged. “It’s all dependent on my N.E.W.T. results, but if that fails I can always follow dad into the family business.”

“What’s that, then?”

“Antiques and book restoration,” Ben replied. “Bit dull, really, but Dad likes it.”

“What about you, Potter?” Scorpius asked, when Albus joined them.

“Uh ... well, it’s early days and I don’t know if I’ll be accepted, but I’d like to be an Unspeakable.”

Ben winked at Scorpius, then turned to Albus. “What do they do, exactly? It’s a bit of a mystery to me.”

“It’s in the Department of Mysteries,” Albus explained patiently. “They investigate unexplained phenomena. It’s all very complex and I can’t really speak about it.”

“Probably because it’s unspeakable,” agreed Scorpius, then grinned as Ben started to laugh.

Albus screwed up a sheet of parchment from his pocket and threw it at Scorpius. “Stop taking the piss,” he protested. “It’s a good job.”

“Only if you can keep your mouth shut,” Scorpius retorted and started to laugh again. “Shit, I’m sorry, but the thought of you not yelling is making me cry.”

“It’s only you I yell at!” Albus shouted.

“And your sister. And the Gryffindor team after Hufflepuff beat you!” Ben put in.

“They deserved it!” Albus exclaimed, but started to laugh. He lay on the grass watching the clouds scud across the sky. “Are you going to work for my dad, Malfoy?”

“Probably.” Scorpius hunched his knees up to his chest as he thought about his options. “My parents will be moving into the Manor soon, so I’ll need a wage if I want to find somewhere to live.”

Albus sat up and stared at him. “Are they kicking you out because you’re seeing my sister?”

Scorpius shook his head. “My grandma will still be living there. She doesn’t want to see me, so it’s probably best I make the break now.”

“But is this because of Lily?”Albus persisted.

Scorpius shrugged. “It’s more the fact that I don’t want to live that way. Grandma wants me to marry.” He smirked. “I’m eighteen and don’t particularly want to marry anyone, but especially not the girls my Grandma approves of.” He stretched his hands above his head and yawned. “I think I’ll go back to Slytherin. I promised the Zabinis I’d let them know when I was finished.”

“You celebrating tonight?” Albus called.

“There’s a few fifth-years in Slytherin that need corrupting,” Scorpius replied, not adding that he hoped to slope off somewhere with Lily first. Albus Potter may have been treating him as a normal person, but he was still her brother and Scorpius had no idea how he’d react if he knew exactly what thoughts Scorpius harboured for his sister.


The common room was empty when he got back, so Scorpius kicked off his shoes and stretched out on the sofa, trying to work out where to take Lily tonight. He couldn’t risk Hogsmeade, and the Greenhouses were only really conducive to having a snog. Because it was the end of the exams, he imagined most fifth and seventh years would be busting into disused classrooms. He needed somewhere private ...

The door opened, and he opened his eyes to find himself staring straight at Johnson Vaisey. He wondered whether to get up and return to his dormitory because if Johnson was with Ariadne, it would only be a matter of time before he wanted to hex the pair of them. But Johnson was alone and looked hesitant as he stepped through the door.

“How was your last exam?” he muttered.

“Fine,” Scorpius replied, and turned his head away.

“Good.”

A silence descended on the room. It wasn’t uncomfortable exactly, and Scorpius didn’t feel as if Vaisey were about to hex him again, but it was awkward.

“How was your last exam?” he asked politely. “Arithmancy, wasn’t it?”

“Cocked it up,” Vaisey said, his voice sounding hollow. “Had other things on my mind.”

Scorpius frowned. In all the years he’d known Vaisey, he’d never seen him look quite so despairing. “You all right, Johnson?”

“Uh ...” Vaisey cleared his throat. “I owe you an apology, Scorpius.”

“For half killing me?” Scorpius replied smoothly. “Yeah, I reckon you do.”

“You provoked me!” Vaisey snapped, some of his old fire returning. Then he stepped forwards and sat in the armchair opposite. “I meant for believing Ariadne. I got a letter from Claudine yesterday and she told me what happened at your grandparents over Easter. I confronted Ariadne and we ... uh ... split up last night.”

“Sorry,” Scorpius muttered. “I know you liked her.”

“Yeah well, I think I knew she was only trying to make you jealous, so you’d get back with her.” He smiled grimly. “That’s why she hexed that broom, isn’t it?”

“I don’t think she really meant Lily any harm,” Scorpius replied. “She probably thought the broom would buck her off at low-level. But Lily’s a good flyer and could handle it until she flew higher.”

“Are you going to tell Zabini?” Vaisey asked.

Scorpius shook his head. “Lily’s broom hasn’t been found, so I can’t prove anything.”

He could hear footsteps and laughter outside and stood up, not really wanting to make conversation with the rest of his house.

“If I square it with Zabini, do you want to move back in with us?” Vaisey asked, catching his arm as he walked past.

“Uhm, well, I promised the fifth years I’d share some of Aunt Daphne’s Mexican hooch with them, but maybe Sunday,” Scorpius said and grinned at Vaisey. “Be nice to remember all the stuff we’ve got up to in that dorm.”

“We should have a joint celebration,” Vaisey yawned. “I was going to take Ariadne to the Prefect’s Bathroom and screw her senseless “ booked it ages ago “ but now...” he sighed, “... I think I’d just like to get completely hammered.”

***


“How did you manage to swing this?” Lily asked in awe. “I thought you had a rota for the Prefect’s Bathroom.”

“There is.” Scorpius smirked. “But I happen to know that the person who reserved it isn’t going to make it, so ....” He trailed off and pushed open the door. “Why don’t we have some fun?”

She giggled. “When you said to bring a swimming costume, I thought you meant the lake. I know it’s June, but it’s still cold at night, I didn’t know what you were planning.”

“Have you got one?” She nodded. “Good, then you can get changed over there,” Scorpius replied and pointed to a hastily arranged curtained off area.

Once she was behind the screen, he set to work turning on the taps, adding scented bath foam, and arranging floating candles along the walls. He was just festooning the surface of the water with rose-petals, when she emerged, looking absolutely gorgeous in a flowery bikini but also nervous.

“Wow,” she breathed. “This looks lovely.”

“Water is glorious,” he said, holding out his hand to her. “Fancy a dip?”

She smiled shyly, took his hand and together they entered the large steaming bath. “It’s deep?” she exclaimed. “I can barely touch the bottom.”

He started to chuckle. “Haven’t you ever been here before? I would have thought one of your cousins would have given you the password.”

“Why would I want to go with them?” she said and laughed as she swam out of his grasp.

In the soft candle light, he could see her skin glistening and her eyes shining as she took in the sight and smell of the place. “The bubbles smell of apple,” she said, in delight.

“Of course,” he murmured, swimming slowly towards her. “What else would I use for my Apple-Queen?”

She allowed him to glide towards her, let him put his arms around her, and then she wound her legs around his waist as he started to kiss her. His senses reeled as her lips strayed to his neck, and with one hand, he slowly pulled down her bikini strap, pressing his lips to her shoulder, and cupping her breast in his hand. “You okay with this?” he muttered, kissing her breast.

“Yes,” she whispered, and moaned when one of his hands began tracing small circles across her stomach, whilst the other removed her bikini top entirely.

In a movement he hoped was smooth, Scorpius lifted Lily into his arms, carried her out of the bath and across to a large pile of soft towels in the corner. “I’ll take this slowly,” he whispered, “or I can stop now.”

“You don’t have to stop,” she said, her voice as soft as the lapping water. His hand strayed downwards, fingers slipping underneath her bikini bottom and she began to moan, caught up in her moment as he teased her.

He couldn’t remember much more. His mind and senses melded together and all he was aware of was her mouth parting as she gasped, her legs twined around him, and the slippery scent of her excited body as he lost himself totally in this act with her.

Afterwards he held her close, his hand splaying on her belly, and waited for his heart to stop thudding. “Sorry,” he murmured.

“What for?”

“Hurting you,” he whispered, remembering the shock that had flickered in her eyes. “I tried to be gentle.”

“It was nothing. You forget how many times I’ve been hit with Bludgers.” She laughed slightly and snuggled up to him, trailing her fingers up and down his side.

“Merlin, I’ve never been compared to a Bludger before,” he said, feeling slightly disgruntled.

She kissed him fiercely on the lips. “Shut up, Malfoy. I wanted this to happen.”

“I love you,” he mumbled, burying his face in her neck and wondering if she’d heard.

Lily stopped moving her hand and stared into his eyes. “Do you mean that?”

He smiled down at her, not embarrassed anymore. The last person he’d said that to had been his mum when he was eleven and about to go to Hogwarts. “I love you, Lily Luna Potter, because you’re sweet and good and make everything right.”

“And I love you, Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy because ... ” She paused and then a wicked smile lit up her face “... because you have a fantastic broom.” She giggled, then shrieked when he nipped her earlobe. She lifted her hand and with one fingertip, traced the shape of his face, lingering on the small bump on his nose. “I love you, Scorpius, because, despite what you say, you are good and brave and you make me feel amazing.”
Chapter Endnotes: hopefully back on track ...