Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

High by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The tiny Scops owl with beige and white fluffy feathers didn’t so much soar gracefully through the bedroom window, as flutter in and land with a flump on the head of the bed’s occupant.

“What the hell!” groaned Scorpius, flustered out of his dream by a clutch of feathers in his mouth and up his nose. The irritating ball of fluff clicked its beak “ whether in apology or amusement, Scorpius wasn’t sure “ and then stuck its leg out.

Scorpius removed the letter and waved the owl away dismissively. It didn’t move.

“Go away,” he muttered irritably. “I don’t have any owl nuts here.”

The owl hopped onto Scorpius’ chest and eyed him reproachfully. “Oh, come on, then,” Scorpius said, sighing blearily. “I’ll take you to the kitchen; there’ll be something there.”

Picking up his pocket watch from the bedside cabinet, he sighed again. It was only five-thirty. Who the hell sent owls this early in the morning? Following Scorpius’ movement, the owl hopped onto the cabinet and began to peck at a discarded apple core he’d left by the lamp. Tweeting with delight, the owl gobbled up the rest of the apple and then flew up to the window and perched on the ledge.

Scorpius considered the owl thoughtfully and then unfurled the missive. He laughed. Of course, only Lily Potter’s owl would expect apples in payment.

‘I’m in Smithy’s Field. It’s a beautiful morning to fly.’

There was a space between these lines and the last, as if the writer were herself pausing.

‘Join me?
LLP x’


Scorpius closed his eyes, trying to repress a shudder. The thought of getting on a broom again made his insides ache, but to see her again made them squirm pleasurably. It was odd balancing fear with desire, and for a moment, he thought the fear had won, so he crumpled up the message, ready to shoo the owl out of the window. However, feeling the slightly sticky paper in his fingers, he instead lifted it to his face and inhaled.

Apples, he thought, and desire won out. Quickly dashing off a reply, he gave the owl a friendly cuff and sent it on its way. Then, quietly getting washed and dressed, he snatched up his broom and Apparated away.

Smithy’s Field was about thirty miles from Malfoy Manor and five miles from the Potter house. Scorpius had never been there, but he remembered James Potter mouthing off about it three years ago, proclaiming loudly in Scorpius’ presence that it was the reason his Gryffindor team were going to tear Slytherin apart. It was a field bought collectively by the Potters and the Weasleys, enchanted with Muggle repelling spells. James had apparently commandeered it for Quidditch practice and drilled his team throughout that summer.

Scorpius smirked. The Gryffindor team had been good. Fast, slick and uncannily accurate in front of the hoops, but they hadn’t had Scorpius Malfoy - and it had been Slytherin who’d taken the Quidditch and House Cups that year.

“You came!” Lily stood in front of him, beaming. She sounded surprised.

“I sent a reply,” he said smoothly and stepped towards her. It had been nearly two weeks since they’d kissed in Diagon Alley. As Scorpius bent his head down to hers, he was pleased that she instinctively tilted her face upwards and drew him down to her. It was the same as before, yet different, somehow. Her lips were still as soft, still as sweet “ just as he remembered. But different because she was less tentative, more giving. In Diagon Alley, Lily had jerked her head away when she had heard her dad’s voice calling for her, and after whispering another hurried ‘Merry Christmas,’ she had run out from the gloom and him towards her dad, brother and the light.

Scorpius pulled away slightly, running one finger down her cheek. “I sent a reply,” he repeated.

“You’ve arrived before my owl.” She giggled. “He’s my Christmas present from Granny and Granddad, and he’s very sweet, but totally useless. Uncle Ron “ that’s Hugo and Rose’s dad “ thinks he’s Pig reincarnated.”

“A pig?”

Lily laughed again. “No, Uncle Ron had an owl called Pig “ well Pigwidgeon really “ but my uncle thought that name was soppy, so he shortened it to Pig and-” She paused for breath, and as she did so, Scorpius kissed her again, lingering on her lips and twining a strand of her long red hair between his finger and thumb.

“Sorry,” she murmured. “I’m prattling on about my family. It must be boring for you.”

“Not at all,” he replied, and he meant it. He’d heard about her family “ all of them “ from his family. It hadn’t been complimentary. Granddad Lucius, in particular, chafed at the Weasley’s prominence at the Ministry. It was fascinating to hear warm, human stories about people his grandfather vilified. He leant forwards, intent on kissing her again when something fluffy flew down to her shoulder, its wings brushing his face. Scorpius sneezed.

“There you are, Pom,” Lily crooned and pulling away from Scorpius, she reached into her pocket and pulled out some dried apple slices.

“Pom? Like a pom-pom,” Scorpius mocked. “Isn’t that a bit soppy too?”

She gave him a withering look, as did Pom. “No, it’s French, Malfoy. ‘Pomme.’ My cousin, Louis, suggested it. It means “”

“Apple?” he suggested. She giggled.

“Dad thinks it’s a dreadful name. He always researches his owl names. Gods, goddesses “ that sort of thing, but, honestly, this little one is far too sweet to be called Thor.” She paused. “Al has called his Odysseus, after the Greek warrior, but I’ve started corrupting his owl ...” She giggled again. “Soon, he’ll only answer to Odie.”

He loved the way she lit up as she planned mischief. The yellow flecks in her hazel eyes seemed to dance in front of him. He found himself smiling, too, enjoying the joke against her brother.

Her brother.

“Er, Lily, where are your family now? I mean, how did you get here?”

“They’re probably still asleep, and I walked,” she replied carelessly.

“Walked? How far?”

“Not far. About a mile and a half.” Releasing Pomme from her hands and bidding him home, she leant into Scorpius. “Uncle George and Aunt Angelina’s house is over that hill. Smithy’s Field is at the end of their garden.”

“Uncle George...who makes Pustule Pips,” Scorpius stated, remembering how ill he’d felt.

Lily flushed. “Yes, except he doesn’t sell them. Apparently, they’re not quite right yet.” She looked up at him from beneath her long fringe. “Sorry.” She coughed. “Um ... do you want to “” She trailed off and pointed to his broomstick.

“Fly?” he queried. No! His whole body revolted at the thought, and it must have shown. Lily touched him on the arm.

“You brought your broom,” she began hesitantly, “and there’s no one here except for us.”

“How do I know that?” he muttered, hating himself for doubting her, but unable to shake the suspicion that this was all an elaborate joke.

She stepped back and sweeping her fringe out of her eyes, glared at him. “You don’t, but if you knew how much trouble I’d be in for coming here with you, a Malfoy and a Slytherin, then you wouldn’t doubt me.”

His blue eyes met her frank gaze and he felt ashamed. “Trouble?” he asked. “From whom?”

Lily shrugged. “Various Weasleys. We’re a big family, but mainly my brothers and Uncle Ron.”

“What about your dad?” Scorpius asked. He sat on the grass; it was cold and wet with dew, so he spread out his cloak and gestured for her to join him. Lily walked back over and then sat by his side. She had none of Ariadne’s grace as she flopped down, gangling legs sprawling out in front of her. Ariadne would have sat on the cloak with her legs tucked neatly under and slightly to one side. She was like an elegant swan; Lily was like Pomme.

“Dad believes in second chances ... or at least, that’s what he says.” She screwed up her face as she thought. “I don’t know about Mum. She doesn’t like your granddad “ I don’t know why “ but she also knows that the surest way to get me to do something is to say that I mustn’t.” She looked at Scorpius slyly. “What about your family?”

“What about them?” he asked warily.

“Do they know you’re here with me?”

“’Course not!” he exclaimed. “Dad would be horrified.” He winced as he saw her flinch at the vehemence in his voice. “I’m not my dad, though, Lily.” A breath of wind rippled over them both, ruffling through her hair, blowing a tress across her face; Lily smoothed it behind her ear. “Can we stop talking about our families?” he asked at last. “We know they won’t like this, but we’re still here ... together.”

She smiled suddenly, her beaming smile of earlier. “Agreed. Let’s fly instead, Scorpy,” she gurgled, and standing up she tried “ too late “ to dodge his arm.

Scorpius pulled her back to the makeshift rug. “Don’t take the piss, baby Potter, or I’ll be forced to ask for compensation.” He leant over her. “On second thoughts, I’ll just take it anyway,” he muttered as he pressed his lips to hers.

Minutes later, Lily sat up, flushed with excitement. “That’s not the way to get me to stop using that name, Scor-” He tried to silence her with another kiss, but she pushed him away. “Scorpius Malfoy, stop distracting me.”

“From what?” he asked as he started to kiss her cheek, lips straying down to her neck. He wondered how it was possible for him to feel so much desire for this scruff “ so unlike Ariadne.

“Flying,” she replied, pushing him away again.

He sat up, hugging his knees to his chest, all desire for her gone as his fears surfaced.

“Vaisey’s found another Seeker,” he said bleakly.

“Well, prove him wrong. Show everyone at Hogwarts what a prat he is to drop you.”

“He didn’t drop me! I quit!” Scorpius exclaimed haughtily. Then he grinned sheepishly.“I suppose that makes me the prat.”

“A bit.” Lily leant across and took his hand. “You brought your broom today. You must have wanted to try.” Examining his broom, she opened her mouth wide. “Wow! A Firebolt X. Someone got lucky this Christmas.”

He shrugged. “I’d have been ecstatic last year.” Picking it up, he handed it to Lily. “Want to try it “ a test flight?”

“You mean you haven’t even ridden it!” she exclaimed. “Merlin, Scorpius, you must feel bad.” Planting a soft kiss on his cheek, she pulled him to standing. “Come on, let’s take this up together.”

“I can’t.” His face blanched at her suggestion.

“Yes,” Lily said softly but with determination, “you can. You’ll be with me, and this time I won’t let anything happen.”

Something in her voice made him start. He looked at her curiously. She smiled, but not quickly enough for him to miss a look of terror flitting across her face. “What’s the matter?” he asked her.

Lily gulped. “I froze, Scorpius. I saw everything, but couldn’t do anything. And it was my fault.”

He laughed openly at her. “Why?”

“Because if I hadn’t caught the Snitch, or taunted you, then you wouldn’t have fallen,” she declared stubbornly.

Taking her hands in his, Scorpius squeezed them gently. “Taunting is part of the game. I didn’t fall because of you; I fell because I misjudged things. You, Lily Potter, were better than me.” Swallowing his fear, he grinned at her and reached for his broom. “Come on, Professor. Show me how to fly.”

He was pleased he’d joked her out of the sudden solemn mood that had hit her, and, with a jolt, realised he hated to see her not smiling.

Taking the broom from him, Lily hitched up her skirt and sat astride it. She motioned for him to sit alongside, but Scorpius shook his head. “Maiden flight. You take her up, Lily.”

“Is this your way of avoiding getting into the air, Malfoy?” she taunted.

“No,” he replied, adding mischievously. “It’s my way of looking up your skirt, Potter.”

She giggled again, but instead of kicking off, she reached out and pulled him over. “Fly with me, Scorpius,” she whispered.

Smiling, he hoisted himself behind her and then slid his hands around her waist. Closing his eyes so he didn’t have to look at the ground below or the sky above, he gritted his teeth and commanded her to take off.

Lily kicked off gently from the grass, but such was the power of the Firebolt X that they soared rapidly into the air. He clutched her tightly.

“You okay?” she shouted. He nodded into her back, but his stomach lurched as they flew higher.

“Lily,” he muttered, “I can’t ...”

“Yes, you can,” she retorted. “Scorpius, you’re not going to fall. This is fun. It’s not a match, and there’s no Snitch.”

Cautiously, he opened his eyes and leant back slightly from her. He shuddered briefly, but Lily slid her hand onto his, and he immediately felt calmer. He could sense her exhilaration and the need she had to test the acceleration of the broom, but it was tempered with her fear for him. Scorpius squeezed her around the waist and then urged her, “Go faster, Lily.”

In glee, she kicked again and moved her body forwards, streamlined over the broom. Scorpius followed her lead and as the breeze whipped over them over them both, he heard himself laughing.

This was glorious. This was him and Lily alone. This was flying.

“How do you feel?” she shouted.

In reply, he leant further on top of her and then releasing his grip from her waist, he grasped the front of the broom and began to steer zigzag through the air currents.
“Sensational,” he purred in her ear. She gasped as he whipped them towards the ground, eddying down with speed and yet there was no danger. He was with her; he felt safe.

They landed clumsily, but that was only to be expected as both were laughing too ridiculously to concentrate. Falling onto the ground, Scorpius lay back on the grass, little caring that the dew was soaking through his clothes.

“Up!” Lily declared, standing over him. She held both brooms now.

Scorpius shook his head. “Come and join me down here.”

“Uh-uh,” she dissented and started to walk away. Sitting astride her broom, she threw the Firebolt X towards him.

“Come on, Scorpy,” she teased before kicking off.

Scorpius watched her hovering, skirting lightly through the air like her owl. “Stop calling me that,” he pleaded.

“Can’t hear you,” she replied insouciantly. “You’ll have to come up here, Scorpy. Tell me to my face.”

As she giggled, he determinedly mounted his broomstick. Roaring out loud, he rushed towards her. Lily shrieked and shot forwards, but the acceleration of the Firebolt X was far superior. Despite her weaves through the air, he caught up with her easily and then tugged on her broom tail.

“Malfoy, you cheat!” she yelled.

“Says who?” he replied as he pulled alongside her. Removing his hand from the brush, he lifted it and with a daring he hadn’t thought possible when he’d first got here, he reached across and kissed her on the lips before speeding ahead of her.

He reached into his pocket. “I bought this for you,” he called. “A lovely, crisp apple for my apple queen, But ...” He paused. “As you’ve been so cheeky, baby Potter. I think I’m going to keep it or ...” he grinned at her slyly, “... use it as a Snitch.”

“Nooooo!” she screamed as he tossed the apple into the air. As she dove down to catch it, Scorpius chuckled and followed her, marvelling at her single-mindedness.

“Ha!” she cried in triumph as she snatched her prize. “Mine, Malfoy!”

She landed on the ground, this time perfectly, and began to munch on it. Scorpius followed, landing neatly beside her. “Do you want some?” she said, holding it out to him.

Scorpius accepted and took a bite. The crisp, slightly acid tang refreshed him. He refused the second bite she offered him. Instead, he sat back leaning on his elbows, preferring to watch as she nibbled and chatted about her Christmas.

“Sounds better than mine,” he muttered at one point, when she was moaning about the noise and lack of privacy because she was sharing a room with Roxanne, Rose and Lucy. “At least you had fun.”

“Didn’t you then?” she asked in surprise.

“Not when it’s a Malfoy year, and we’re all staying at the Manor,” he answered, stifling a yawn. “It’s better when it’s a Greengrass year “ they’re my mum’s side of the family.” He supplied the explanation when she shot him a puzzled glance. “My Aunt Daphne’s pretty fun. She was at school with Dad, so she comes out with new stories about him every year “ always useful when he’s mouthing off about my marks.” He smiled at the sky. “I think Aunt Daphne was supposed to marry my dad.”

“Oh, what happened?” she asked, pulling herself alongside him.

“He saw her sister, Astoria “ my mum “ and fell in love,” Scorpius replied simply, then laughed slightly mockingly. “Well, that’s what I’ve been told. Might just be another Malfoy myth. We have a few, and it’s hard sifting through to find the truth.”

Lily rolled her eyes. “I know what that’s like.”

He peered across at her then said softly, “It must be hard being the daughter of the famous Harry Potter.”

Lily twisted her head around and gazed at him. “Not really ... or at least, not always. Dad doesn’t talk about it much, and until I went to Hogwarts, I didn’t realise how famous he was.” Scorpius edged closer to her and took her hand. She smiled at him. “Al has a harder time, I think.”

“Mmm.” Scorpius raised her hand to his lips and started to kiss each fingertip. “You said that before. Does James have the same problem?”

“No,” Lily replied. “James doesn’t give a rats for anyone’s reputation or opinion.” She pulled her hand away and placed it around his neck. “Why are we talking?”

“No idea,” he murmured and bent his head down towards her.

As her lips parted, he felt an anticipatory shiver run through him. Slowly, he ran his hand down her side and into the dip of her waist. After Ariadne’s curves, Lily’s slight frame thrilled him. Encountering the hem of her jumper, he slid his hand underneath and through a gap in her shirt. His fingers grazed across her smooth-as-silk skin and then travelled upwards.

Lily froze and he knew immediately that he’d gone too far. ”Sorry,” he whispered and withdrew his hand. She blushed and bit her lip but didn’t move away, so Scorpius, placing his hand firmly on the outside of her jumper, held her close to him. He could feel her heart beating wildly against his chest, matching his own. There was an awkward silence which Scorpius wasn’t sure how to bridge, but then his mind drifted to her brother.

“What’s James doing now?” he asked, knowing that her brother had left Hogwarts only scraping three N.E.W.T.s.

“He has a trial coming up for the Arrows,” she said, her voice quavering slightly.

Scorpius frowned. “I thought he was set on Puddlemere,” he replied, remembering James’ assertion that he would be taken up by his favourite team.

“They weren’t looking for Chasers,” she said bluntly, although she didn’t sound convinced.

“So he’s just sitting around doing bugger all,” Scorpius stated scornfully.

Lily laughed. “Merlin, no! Mum won’t let him do that. She got him a job at The Prophet .” She grinned at Scorpius and lifted her hand to trail her fingers through his thick blonde hair. “It was either that or being Dad’s tea boy, and I’m not sure either of them would have lasted a week.”

“They don’t get on?” Scorpius asked, thinking of his own relationship with his dad.

“Oh, they get on well, just not all day, every day - James hates taking orders from anyone. What about you?”

“Hmm?” he murmured, willing himself to concentrate on the conversation and not her hand, which had now slipped from his hair to the back of his neck.

“What do you want to do when you leave Hogwarts?”

“Oh, that.” Scorpius shrugged. “What I want to do and what I’ll end up doing are two very different things.”

Lily’s fingers stopped their circular movements on his shoulder blade. “Why?”

He sighed. “Before the fall, I wanted to play pro, but a professional Quidditch player is not a suitable career for a Malfoy, and Granddad would have a fit. The other thing ...” He trailed off and looked away from her. “Let’s just say that being a Malfoy would not go in my favour.” Out of the corner of his eye, he could see her looking at him curiously, but she didn’t press him further.

“You’re of age, Scorpius. You don’t need your dad’s permission “ or your granddad’s.”

I do when they hold the purse strings, he thought moodily. He pulled out his pocket watch and sighed. “I should go,” he said regretfully, “before your brother sets Dugbogs on me.”

“Are you scared of Al?” she mocked.

“Not particularly,” he retorted, “but a whole mob of Potters and Weasleys with wands is a different matter.” Scorpius stood and pulled her to standing. “Thank you.”

“What for?”

“Teaching me to fly.”

Lily laughed. “You knew how to fly, Scorpius.”

He considered her words. “Teaching me to enjoy flying again,” he amended. Cupping her face in his hands, he gave her one last lingering kiss. “I want to see you again.”

“Tomorrow?” she said, so quickly that he knew she’d been thinking about it too. Then she faltered. “I mean, we’re staying here another day, so I can get here tomorrow morning, too.”

She looked up at him, enthusiasm radiating from her large hazel eyes.

“Same time,” he confirmed. “I’ll be here.”

“Wouldn’t be too sure about that.”

Both Scorpius and Lily sprang apart at the sound of a voice behind them. He heard Lily groan, but, as he gripped his wand to face what he assumed would be one of her brothers or a red-haired relation, he stopped short. It wasn’t anyone he recognised. The man standing before him was older than Scorpius “ probably in his twenties, he surmised. He was tall with light brown hair and an impassive look on his face.

“Oh ... um ... hi,” squeaked Lily. “Um ... Teddy, this is ... um ... a friend of mine.”

Teddy, thought Scorpius, wondering where he’d heard the name before. He frowned as he concentrated, but it must have looked as if he were glowering because the man’s expression became a lot less friendly. Scorpius blinked and hurriedly assumed a smile on his face, all the while thinking, Teddy ... Teddy ... where have I heard that name before?

“Who’s this, Lily?” Teddy asked in a friendly tone, but never taking his dark eyes off Scorpius.

“Harry Cootes,” she replied, quick as a flash. “He’s a friend from school, a Beater on the Gryffindor team.”

Scorpius glared at her. Bloody Harry Cootes. Stupid dumb-as-fuck, Harry Cootes. Why couldn’t she have said ... oh, bloody hell, anyone except Harry-sodding-Cootes. He looked at Teddy who was slowly extending his hand.

“Nice to meet you, Harry.”

Was Scorpius imagining a sarcastic tone in the man’s voice? “You too, Teddy,” he replied and shook hands. As Teddy’s fingers gripped his, he tried not to wince, but stared into his dark eyes. Teddy let go and stepped back.

“Odd, I always thought Beaters had strong grips “ all that practise with Bludger bats.” He looked Scorpius up and down. “You don’t have a Beater’s build either. They’re usually taller and broader.”

Scorpius spluttered. Harry Cootes wasn’t exactly tall, either. Beside him, he could see Lily twisting some strands of her hair nervously. “My aim is excellent,” Scorpius replied coldly.

“You’re in the sixth year, I think. Is that right, Harry?”

Scorpius swallowed. What year was Cootes in? Certainly not seven.

“Yes, he’s sixth year,” Lily replied firmly.

“So where do you live?” Teddy asked mildly.

“Uh...” Scorpius went blank. He knew exactly why this Teddy bloke was asking. Harry Cootes wasn’t old enough to Apparate, so had to live nearby. Shit, where was he again? Smithy’s Field ... Somerset, wasn’t it? Villages in Somerset ... “Cheddar“on-the-Wye,” he declared.

Teddy pursed his lips and then turned to Lily. “Your mum’s looking for you, Tiger-Lily. I think you should go back to the house. I’ll make sure Harry gets back home.”

“Um,” she trilled, her eyes darting nervously from Teddy to Scorpius.

“I’ll see you on the train, Lily,” Scorpius said and reaching over, he squeezed her hand. Fastening his cloak around his neck and then picking up his broomstick, he turned to Teddy. “I can walk back from here; it’s fine.”

He started to walk off, raising his hand to Lily in a last salute. She flashed him a smile and then she too began to trudge off in the opposite direction, back to her Uncle George’s house. Scorpius smiled to himself; he could put up with being Harry Cootes for five more minutes, and that was quick thinking on her part. He’d carry on walking and then, once he was over the hillock, he’d Apparate.

“So,” Teddy called after him. Scorpius stopped as his interrogator loomed up behind him. Shit, he’d have to make conversation “ be Cootes for a bit longer. He turned around, grunted in a ‘Cootes-ish’ way, but didn’t quite look Teddy in the eye.

“How’s that sister of yours?”

“Fine,” Scorpius replied warily. Cootes had a sister? That was news.

“Did she marry Cadwallader in the end?” Teddy grinned. “Very on/off relationship those two had, as you know. Used to cause a lot of hassle in the Gryffindor common room. Lot of trouble when I was a Prefect.”

Scorpius was silent, his brain whirring. What the hell was the right answer? “Uh ... they haven’t set the date yet.” His eyes flicked around as he tried to think how to change the subject. “Look, you really don’t have to walk with me, Teddy. I’m quite capable of ...” He stopped and took a sharp intake of breath. Teddy’s hair, which had been light brown and to his shoulders, was suddenly “ unaccountably “ very short and blonde, like his own.

“Merlin, you’re a Metamorphmagus !”

“Yep,” Teddy replied carelessly. He grinned. “I like to surprise people, Harry. A bit like you surprised me when I saw you in the air. Perhaps that’s something else we have in common.”

Starting to grin back, Scorpius suddenly faltered. “S-something else?” he stuttered.

“As well as the blood tie,” Teddy continued and then stared straight at him. Scorpius watched as Teddy slowly morphed his dark, twinkling eyes into pale-blue “ Scorpius’ exact shade. “We could be brothers, Scorpius, not cousins.”

There was a long, long pause. Scorpius gripped his wand and thought about Apparating, but something kept him staring straight back. Of course, this was Teddy Lupin. His cousin ... or second cousin, to be precise.

“How did you know who I was?” he asked hollowly.

“Hmm, well, let’s see. The real Harry Cootes does have a sister, but she wasn’t a Gryffindor. She’s called Molly, by the way. Cootes Senior, you may be interested to know, decided to name his kids after Battle of Hogwarts heroes.” He laughed slightly bitterly and twisted his mouth. “It’s become pretty fashionable, you know. I’ve met five Molly’s, and even a Nymphadora ... but not a Remus.”

“Nymphadora?”

“My mum,” Teddy said very quietly. “Your dad’s cousin.”

Scorpius took a long shuddering breath, trying to take all of this in. He had heard of Nymphadora, his grandmother’s sister’s daughter. He hadn’t been told about her “ not officially, but had picked up bits of information by listening carefully when the grown-ups hadn’t realised he was there. “So once you knew that I wasn’t Harry Cootes, how did you know I was Scorpius Malfoy?” he asked at last.

“Who else would Lily need to meet in secret?” Teddy snorted and then he smiled wistfully. “I’m teasing you. I knew who you were the minute I laid eyes on you. The resemblance to your dad is almost as striking as Al’s to Harry “ Potter, that is, not Harry Cootes, Peake or Finch-Fletchly.” He laughed again, this time in genuine amusement, and Scorpius joined in. “You were pretty cool under questioning, Scorpius. Very non-committal.”

“What are you going to do now?” he asked Teddy, slightly nervously.

“You mean, am I going to drag you back to a seething hub of Weasleys and get them to hex you for corrupting Lily?”

“Er ... yeah, something like that.” Scorpius’ eyes flittered around him, wondering if Teddy was still alone, whether this was a set up and Albus or James would suddenly appear.

“Relax,” Teddy sighed. “Lily’s like my sister, and I’m protective of her.” He shrugged. “They all are. But I was a protected and cosseted kid, too, and I know how bloody infuriating that can be. I’m not going to say a word.”

“What so you’re not even going to warn me off?” Scorpius asked in disbelief. “Or threaten me ... or something?”

“Oh,” replied Teddy nonchalantly. “If you hurt her, then I’ll hurt you.” He waved away Scorpius’ protest. “I don’t mean normal boy-girl crap, either. I mean that if you use or manipulate her, then I’ll use violence.”

“I’m not using her!” Scorpius protested hotly.

“Good,” declared Teddy. “Then that’s the niceties out of the way. Why don’t we forget Lily and just chat for a while?”

“Why?” Scorpius asked in astonishment.

“Because apart from my grandmother, you’re the only blood relative I’ve ever spoken to. I’d quite like to get to know you.”

They were standing now at the very edge of the field; the sun was climbing and Scorpius, glancing at his watch, realised he had to get back because his mum would surely have noticed his empty bed by now. But something kept him here, staring at this newfound relative.

“Why would you want to get to know a Malfoy?” he asked suspiciously. “You lot despise us. I mean, I don’t blame you. I don’t particularly like Potter and his brother either. Or those bloody Weasleys.” He stopped and then backed away, suddenly remembering that Teddy Lupin was Harry Potter’s godson. “Sorry, that’s bloody rude of me. They’re practically your family, aren’t they?”

Teddy smiled down at him a touch sadly. “Prejudice saw my father shunned, my mother become a marked woman, my grandfather murdered, and my grandmother disowned by her family.” He paused and gazed back at the lonely house on the horizon. “You’re right, they are practically my family “ and will be actual family when I marry, but I’m not blind to their faults. Prejudice exists on both sides, Scorpius, as I’m sure you are aware “ being a Malfoy and a Slytherin.”

Scorpius stared at Teddy, wondering what this man knew, wondering if he was hinting at something or just taking a wild guess. “I should go,” he muttered.

“Yes,” Teddy agreed. “You should.” He held out his hand and Scorpius accepted it without any hesitation. This time, Teddy did not grip him firmly but shook lightly. “It’s been good to meet you properly at last, Cousin.” He let go of his hand and then lifted his wand to his mouth. “But if you’re using her, Malfoy...”

Scorpius looked away. He wanted to shout that he wasn’t using her, that he genuinely liked being with Lily because she ... she ... His thoughts tailed off. He didn’t know why he liked being with Lily and he didn’t see why he had to explain anything to this man even if they were related. He nodded brusquely, showing that he understood, and then, turning sharply on the spot, he Apparated back to Malfoy Manor.