Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

High by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I should mention here that Natalie (hestiajones) is a potato peeler but not a hapless one. She puts up with my hideous punctuation because she is lovely.

To Scorpius’ relief, living with Teddy Lupin was easy. Obviously, there were the occasional awkward moments, usually concerning Victoire, who although she hadn’t officially moved in seemed to be very much a fixture. As a newly-qualified Healer, she worked strange shifts and Scorpius was never totally sure when she was around. It was after he’d walked in the bathroom and hastily backed out on discovering she was having a shower, that he learned to knock. And when she turned up at five in the morning, by the Floo in the lounge where he was sleeping, he realised he’d have to start wearing more than pants in bed. She’d laughed at his embarrassment, assuring him that she’d seen it all before, but that day, he’d visited Diagon Alley and bought new pyjamas to replace the ones he’d left behind.

But there was, also, the unfortunate fact that he couldn’t stay here forever. Although Teddy and Victoire said there was no rush (he suspected they were becoming very attached to Truckle), he knew he’d have to find his own place once they were back from their honeymoon. Starting married life with a fugitive cousin under your roof was not ideal, and although Teddy assured him he was welcome to stay, Scorpius did not want to infringe on them much more than he had to.

So it was with great determination, that after visiting Diagon Alley, he walked into the Ministry and asked for the list of approved addresses again. It was a much shorter list, and with a pang, he realised that most of the places had been taken. New Ministry recruits, probably fresh out of Hogwarts like himself, had got there ahead of him.

“Scorpius, is that you?” a woman’s voice called from across the atrium. He looked up to see a witch with dark hair, scrabbling for her glasses as she approached.

“Mrs Tonks,” he said, smiling at her. “Do you work here?”

“Research,” she said, patting a leather bag she was holding. “I was making use of the Ministry library.”

“What sort of research?” he asked politely.

“I write papers for academic magazines,” she replied, and laughed at his obvious surprise. “Before I got married, Scorpius, I was a keen Herbologist and Potioneer. I’m currently investigating the early versions of Wolfsbane. I think our ancestors may have had some good ideas, which could lead to better treatment for those afflicted with lycanthropy.” She paused for breath. “Sorry, I can be ridiculously boring on the subject.”

“Not at all,” he said, and stuck out his hand. “Shall I carry that for you, Mrs Tonks?”

“That is very kind of you. The books I’ve checked out from the library are all rather heavy,” she replied, handing over the bag. “May I buy you a cup of coffee? We could talk, perhaps.”

“Yes,” he said. “I’d like that.”

In the end, Andromeda Tonks bought them both lunch at the Leaky Cauldron. They sat at one of the tables by the window, watching the world go by, while Scorpius regaled her with the story of his incarceration and escape from Malfoy Manor. She didn’t laugh, despite the light spin he put on it, and even frowned when he talked about his grandma.

“Hmm, she sounds quite obsessed with the idea,” Andromeda remarked. “Blood purity was always important in the Black family “ and to the Malfoys “ but I don’t remember Cissa being quite as fanatical as the rest of them.”

He considered her words and nodded. “I’d not heard about the pure-blood stipulation in the will before. I knew Grandma and Granddad wanted me to marry someone ‘of good stock’ as they’d put it, but I’d never realised it was vital for the heir to the estate.”

“One of those outdated notions from the past that never got changed, I’m afraid,” Andromeda replied, looking thoughtful. “They blasted me off the family tree for marrying out, and my cousin, Sirius, for daring to think differently. But ...” As Hannah Longbottom approached with their food, Andromeda stopped speaking and waited for her to leave before continuing. “My aunt and uncle had another son to carry their legacy on. And my parents had two dutiful daughters who both married ‘well.’” She sounded bitter; the ghosts of the past flitting in her eyes and Scorpius could see how much she still mourned her lost family.

“So if I wasn’t an only child there wouldn’t be this problem, is that what you’re saying?”

About to start eating, Andromeda hesitated and put her fork down. “Your mother is still young. I expect Cissa will let it be known, in no uncertain terms, that she should have another child.”

Scorpius shook his head. “She can’t have anymore. Something happened when I was born and it’s too dangerous for her now.”

“Well, then, one of you is going to come under extreme pressure to conform,” she warned. “As you’ve fled that particular vipers’ nest, then your father will be next in line.”

“But he married a pure-blood!” Scorpius exclaimed. “She can’t complain about that.”

Andromeda swallowed a forkful of her food. “He married a pure-blood who gave birth to a rebellious child. I suspect my sister will be poisoning your father’s ear and suggesting he finds a more ‘fertile’ wife.”

“No.” His shock was palpable. “That won’t happen. Dad loves Mum. He always has.”

“But Narcissa could make things very awkward for your mother. She might turn tail and flee like you did.”

“I don’t think so,” Scorpius said slowly. He reached across to the breadbasket and started to butter a roll. “She’s tenacious.”

Andromeda returned to her food. “She’ll have to be.”

“Are you saying I should go back?” he asked, dreading the answer but unsure he could risk his mum’s happiness for his own.

She touched his hand softly with her own and smiled gently. “Scorpius, you cannot live a lie. I tried for years and it damn near broke me. Just be prepared for the consequences of your actions.” Tilting her head to one side, Andromeda looked thoughtful. “Be grateful you’re a Slytherin. We have a knack for selfishness which always stops us doing anything foolishly noble.”

They parted at the door of the pub, but before she Apparated away, Andromeda thrust a couple of the old books into his hands. “If you’re at a loose end, why don’t you help me out?”

Surprised, but pleased, Scorpius accepted. “What do I need to do?”

“Just read through these books and see if you can find any references to lycanthropy, werewolves or Wolfsbane.” She smiled ruefully. “The writing is miniscule and my eyesight isn’t as good as it once was. I’ll pay you, of course.”

“Thanks,” he said, pleased because the few Galleons he had in his purse were all he had left.

***


“If you keep looking at your watch, you’ll wear it out,” Teddy teased. “She’ll be here soon enough.”

They were sitting in a cafe just off Diagon Alley, waiting for Lily, Victoire, Dominique and their mother, Fleur, who had taken them all to Madam Malkin’s for the final fitting of their outfits for the wedding. For Scorpius, this last hour had been like torture, and he’d already drunk more than his body weight in coffee as he waited. Self-conscious in the clothes borrowed from Teddy, he was beginning to wish he’d brought some of his better robes with him. Teddy dressed mainly in Muggle clothes because his job in Muggle liaison required him to work in their world as inconspicuously as possible. As Teddy was taller and broader than Scorpius, the robes he’d first tried to borrow had swamped him.

“Jeans,” Teddy said, “are fine turned up, and a belt will keep them from hanging too far down your arse, although there’s plenty of Muggles wear them that way.”

“I’m not completely clueless,” Scorpius grumbled. “I don’t always wear robes, you know.”

“But, Scorpius,” mocked Teddy, “I bet you have no idea how to make them look good.” He stood back, admiring his handiwork. “That looks much better on you than it does me. You can keep it, if you want.”

“Really?” Scorpius smiled. The dark green shirt with a dragon emblazoned across his chest was the only thing of Teddy’s he really liked.

“Mmm, it was a present from Lily’s Uncle Charlie, but I doubt he’ll mind. He sends me loads.”


“They’re late,” Scorpius said as he fidgeted with his belt buckle. “What if something’s happened?”

“They’re women shopping,” Teddy said, laughing. “Something will have happened and that is that Victoire will have seen something she just has to have.”

“Lily’s not like that,” Scorpius said remembering the utter surprise and delight when he’d presented her with the necklace. “She’s quite unmaterialistic.”

Teddy snorted. “She doesn’t have a part-Veela for a mother,” he muttered. Then he grinned. “Victoire’s not that bad, actually. She works bloody hard, and at odd hours, so it’s not surprising she goes a bit loopy when she sees an accessory. You see, to me, one pair of shoes is much like another, but to Victoire, co-ordinating it with her robes, or dress, or even her handbag is really important.” He yawned. “Witches have no real sense of perspective.”

“Whereas a Metamorphmagus who spends longer on his hair than I do, certainly has his priorities right,” cried a voice from behind them.

“Victoire!” spluttered Teddy, knocking his coffee over. “Didn’t see you there. Uh ... have a seat. All of you take a seat and I’ll ... um ... order some more drinks and ... uh mop this up.”

“Allow me,” Mrs Weasley murmured, using her wand to siphon up the coffee. She smiled charmingly at Scorpius. “You must be Lily’s boyfriend. Scorpius, I theenk? I am Fleur Weasley, ‘er aunt . She ‘as been talking about you non-stop and scolding us for taking so long wiz our shopping.”

“Aunt Fleur,” wailed Lily. “Stop it.”

Scorpius grinned and took her hand as she flopped down in the seat next to him, smiling shyly. She looked gloriously the same, except her hair had been gold-kissed by the French sunshine.

“It’s so good to see you,” he whispered, kissing her on the cheek.

“”You, too,” she said. “I was getting worried when Pomme kept returning my messages. Poor thing couldn’t understand why he couldn’t deliver anything to you. Then when Dad said someone in the office had got a message from you telling them you weren’t going to accept the job, I didn’t know what to think.”

“He does know that wasn’t me,” Scorpius said, panicked in case his job had gone.

“He wasn’t sure, but when I told him about Pomme, he wondered if something fishy was going on.” As the waitress walked over to them, taking their order and clearing the table, Lily, under cover of the menu, leant across and kissed him properly on the mouth. “I missed you so much, and if Teddy hadn’t sent that message last Saturday, I was going to risk Splinching, and a letter about underage magic, to come and find you.”

“I was afraid you’d think I’d finished with you,” he muttered. “It was so bloody frustrating not being able to get out of the Manor, and seeing Pomme try to get through to me.”

“Victoire says you’re crashing on Teddy’s couch at the moment,” Dominique said from Lily’s other side. “Can’t be all that comfortable.”

“It’s better than the alternative,” he replied and turned to face her, slightly irritated at her interruption.

Dominique had been in the sixth year when he’d first started at Hogwarts and he only remembered her at all because she’d been a reserve Chaser for Gryffindor. Looking at her now, he saw she had inherited more of the Weasley genes than her Veela mother’s. That wasn’t to say she wasn’t attractive “ on the contrary, with her darker blonde hair and aquamarine eyes, she was beautiful, but in a less ethereal, more solid way than her mother and sister. She was also far less friendly than Victoire.

“You can’t stay there forever, though, can you?” she said bluntly. “The newlyweds will want their space.”

“Dominique, don’t be so rude!” Victoire protested. “Scorpius is welcome for as long as it takes him to find somewhere. If that’s after the honeymoon, then please don’t think we’re going to throw you out on the street.”

Scorpius swallowed, really unsure what to say in the face of so much generosity. “You’re very kind.”

“You’re Teddy’s cousin,” she said, and leaning across her sister and Lily, she gave his knee a squeeze and grinned at him “Besides we’d miss Truckle too much.”

After lunch, when Fleur was fussing over their purchases, and Dominique was rolling her eyes, Scorpius pulled Lily to one side. “Can we slip away for a while?” he asked. “You could come back to the flat ... or if that’s a bad idea, we could go for a walk through London.”

“That sounds wonderful,” she said, sounding wistful, “but I’ve been instructed by mum to return as soon as we’re finished.”

He couldn’t deny feeling incredibly disappointed and annoyed that after he’d defied his family, Lily felt unable to disobey her mum. He was about to voice his irritation when she ruffled his hair. “You’re invited, too. My grandparents are visiting and I think they want to check you out.”

And when she smiled up at him like that, delighted that he was getting the Weasley seal of approval, his irritation and disappointment melted away.

***


The story his grandfather had always told him about Arthur Weasley was that the man was ‘a meddling fool’, a ‘blood traitor’ and a wizard with no ‘proper pride.’ Depending on the viewpoint, all of these accusations could be seen as points in his favour, but to Lucius Malfoy, the mere existence of Arthur Weasley had stuck in his craw.

Lily spoke of him with great affection and love. To her, he was the one that had read her fantastical stories about Muggles when her parents were too busy, and had been her refuge when her brothers had teased her beyond angry tears.

To Scorpius, the white haired man sitting in an armchair in the Potters’ sitting room was neither a fool, nor a hero. He was a wizard, who despite his years, was as sharp as a Venomous Tentacula and would not suffer his granddaughter being taken for a ride. Arthur Weasley regarded Scorpius with suspicion, but still held out his hand to him.

“I’ve heard a lot about you,” he rasped.

“Not all of it good, I should think,” Scorpius replied, trying a joke.

Arthur chuckled. “Over the years, most of it has been downright slanderous. My grandchildren have blamed you for Gryffindor not winning the Quidditch Cup. James, at one point, was convinced you’d taken Felix Felicis.”

“I wish I’d had some the day your granddaughter beat me,” Scorpius said, grinning. “First miss I’d had in years. Although, if I’d made that catch, then we probably wouldn’t have started seeing each other, so I guess I was lucky after all.”

Arthur didn’t answer, but his eyes slid from Scorpius’ face to Lily, who was bringing in a tea tray. She’d changed out of the robes she’d been wearing for shopping and into a yellow sundress. Lowering the tray down to the table, she kissed her granddad on the cheek before pouring out three cups. “What are you talking about?”

“Fate and Quidditch,” Arthur replied. “Wasn’t it after Gryffindor won the Cup that your parents first got together, Lily? Amazing how it leads to the start of so many romances.”

“Or nearly ruins others,” Hermione Weasley said wryly, as she entered the lounge bearing a plate piled high with cupcakes. “Hello Scorpius, it’s good to see you again and under better circumstances.”

“Hermione, my dear,” Arthur said, helping himself to a chocolate cake and nibbling the frosting. “Remind me that I must send an owl to your father. He sent me the most fascinating book on car maintenance. It’s quite got me in the mood to find another Ford Anglia.” He lowered his voice. “Not a word to Molly, eh?”

“You should go and visit him,” Hermione replied. “Since his retirement he’s become obsessed with vintage cars. It drives Mum nuts.”

“You should have invited them over,” Arthur declared, excited, it seemed, at the prospect of conversing with a Muggle.

“Dad managed to get some tickets for a cricket match, Arthur,” she replied. “He’s taken Hugo and Albus with him. You know what Hugo’s like “ totally obsessed with any sort of sport.”

Scorpius let the conversation flow over him, fascinated at the to and fro between Hermione and Arthur, helped along by the occasional interruption from Lily and Rose when she joined them. He recognised a gentle teasing note in Hermione’s voice when she talked to her father-in-law, but the main undercurrent was a real and genuine affection for the old man. So unlike his mother and granddad. So unlike his father when faced with his Greengrass relations, who Draco had never really got on with, considering them pompous and boring.

“You okay,” mouthed Lily, and he nodded smiling back at her and when she moved to sit on the arm of his chair, he placed his hand in hers, enjoying the contact and just the fact of them being together.

“Arthur Weasley, I can hear you rabbiting on about cars from the kitchen,” announced Molly Weasley as she joined them.

Aware that he was sitting in one of the better chairs, Scorpius leapt to his feet and offered her his seat. Making a noise that sounded very much like a ‘harumph’, Lily’s grandma accepted the seat and poured herself a cup of tea.

Although the same age as her husband, Molly Weasley’s hair retained some of its vibrancy with only a smattering of grey peppering her curls. There was a determined look about her as she assessed Scorpius, a look, which seemed to say that she wasn’t sure of him yet, but she’d give him a chance.

“You’re going to work for Harry, I’ve been told,” she said.

“Er, yes, Mrs Weasley. I start mid-August.”

“And what are you doing in the meantime?”

“Annoying Teddy, mostly,” he replied. “Or having lunch with Aunt Andromeda. She’s got me doing some bits of research for her.”

“Wow!” interjected Rose. “I didn’t think she ever accepted help. She really does like you.”

“Kindred spirits,” Arthur said sagely. Everyone stared at him. “You’ve both defied your families and that takes courage. Andromeda respects that.”

And at that remark, he exchanged a look with his wife and her attitude softened. It wasn’t much, but when she offered him another cup of tea, and pushed the plate of cakes his way, Scorpius felt it was a definite start.


“You have a great garden,” Scorpius said later as he walked around with Lily in the dying afternoon light.

“I like it,” she agreed. “There are lots of places to hide, and we used to have a lot of fun here when we were kids.” She pointed out a plane tree in the far corner. “I used to climb that one to escape my brothers. Gods, they were annoying. Then one day, James saw where I was, and he climbed up after me. I was shrieking at him to stop, but he pulled on my ankle “” She broke off as she saw him smiling at her. ““ Sorry, am I boring you?”

“Never,” he reassured her. “Carry on with the story. Did you escape him?”

“No, I lost my grip and fell to the ground.” She grinned when she saw his look of horror. “Or rather I floated. My magic came in at just the right time.” Clutching Scorpius’ hand tighter, she started to run across the lawn, pulling him with her.

“Where are you taking me?”

“Another hiding place,” she said, giggling. “I thought you’d like a bit of time without my family badgering you.” Then, pulling him to the side of the garden, she led him across a stone rockery, ending up behind a rickety looking summerhouse.

“Thank you for today?” she murmured.

“What for? I didn’t do anything.”

“For not complaining. I know you wanted me to come back to the flat with you, but I really couldn’t, not when Mum had made the effort to invite you.”

“Doesn’t matter,” he muttered into her hair as he drew her close. “We’re alone now.” His hands started to slide over her, his fingers slipping under the straps. “You have no idea what this dress is doing to me?”

“Good,” she whispered, and slid her hands under his waistband. “I like these jeans, by the way. You look good in them.”

He tried to reply that they were Teddy’s because most of his clothes were still at the Manor, but the way she was pressing against him made him think she wasn’t that interested in conversation. As his mouth sought hers, his hand found her thigh, whilst she tugged again at his belt.

“Lily, I’ve been sent to “ whoa-” Hugo broke off as he rounded the corner and clapped his hand over his eyes. “Sorry “ bad timing.”

Laughing, despite his frustration, Scorpius pulled Lily’s dress straight and tucked his shirt back in, whilst she assured Hugo that they were decent.

Red in the face, Hugo mumbled something about them being back now, adding, “Uh, well, we ... uh ... wondered if Scorpius would like to play cricket with us. But I could easily just turn around and say I can’t find you.”

“We’ll have to go back,” she said regretfully. “Or Grandma will be after you with a bucket of cold water and a Stinging Jinx.”

“It’s cool,” he replied, squeezing her around the waist because actually it was ‘cool’. Hugo and Albus were inviting him to share something, and that hadn’t happened before. “One thing, though, Weasley, what the bloody hell is cricket?”

***


It was the start of something between the three of them, a tentative friendship springing out of a shared enjoyment of a Muggle sport, and not merely because Lily wanted them all to get on. During the dying days of July, Scorpius wiled away much of his time relaxing with Lily, or messing around with the boys, despite the fact that he’d soon discovered cricket was not his game.

“Out again, Malfoy,” whooped Hugo as he bowled out his middle stump. “You just couldn’t hit a ball the size of a dragon!”

“No ball!” shouted Scorpius, protesting to Arthur, who’d been designated as umpire, despite being utterly clueless about the rules.

“Um, ‘fraid not, Scorpius,” Arthur decreed from his deck chair in the garden. “Why don’t you let Freddie have a go now?”

Scorpius left the crease and walked behind the wicket. He wasn’t that annoyed, having soon discovered that his strength was as a fielder where he could catch the Bludger-like ball far easier than he could hit it with a bat. It gave him a grudging respect for Cootes, who, despite being a prat, wasn’t a bad Beater.

When he thought about it, this was a new sensation for him, being a part of something that wasn’t based on his house or family name, and he knew Andromeda had been right. He could not live a lie, not now he’d been shown all of this.

“What’s the matter?” Lily asked him, late one afternoon, when they’d called it quits for the day.

“Nothing,” he reassured her, and holding out his hand, he pulled her down on the grass next to him.

“You look ...” She frowned as she studied his face. “Preoccupied.”

“Exam results next week,” he lied.

“Pfft, you know you’ll be all right,” she retorted, then grinned. “Come on, tell me what the problem is or I’ll send for Mrs Zabini.”

“You would as well,” he said darkly, then started snorting. “It’s nothing. I just realised that I start my job soon, and I still haven’t found anywhere to live. I went to one place yesterday that looked promising but it had just been taken.” He didn’t add that the owner had seemed quite willing to take him in until he told him his name. Then he’d become evasive, his eyes shifty as he told him that the room was unavailable.

“Is that all?”

He tilted his head back, perusing the cloudless sky as he tried to phrase his next words. Next to him, Lily waited, holding her breath as if fearing his revelation. “It’s Mum,” he admitted at last and started to fill her in on the conversation he’d had with Andromeda.

“You think your dad will marry someone else?” Lily asked, amazed. “That’s awful!”

Scorpius shivered. A few months ago, he’d have waged his Firebolt on his parents’ marriage being strong. Beneath the sarcasm and bickering, there was a real genuine affection and “ embarrassingly “ passion between his mum and dad. But since his granddad had died, he’d seen his dad pull further and further away from him and his mum. It was as if the past had a stronger hold than the present. If Scorpius had stayed, then things would have been okay. But he’d gone. Too caught up in his own needs, he hadn’t thought about anyone else.

“It’s not your fault,” Lily whispered.

He smiled lopsidedly. “It is, Lily. I just have to live with the consequences.”



***


Charms .............................................. Exceeds Expectations
Defence Against the Dark Arts .............. Acceptable
Herbology................................................ Exceeds Expectations
Potions ...................................................Outstanding
Transfiguration ................................ .....Exceeds Expectations
Astronomy ...................................... .....Outstanding


“Fantastic!” Lily screamed, hugging him so enthusiastically she almost knocked him over.

“Yours are great, too,” he said, littering kisses on her upturned face. “Exceeds Expectations for Defence and Charms. Brilliant!”

“I know. I know,” she exclaimed and started to twirl around. “Dad is so pleased. He says it’s his best birthday present ever, although I think he’s in shock over the History of Magic result. I’m the first in our family to ever pass. Acceptable “ ha ha “ I’m a disgrace to the Potter name!”

“How did Al do?” Scorpius asked.

“Exceeds Expectations in everything except Potions, which was Acceptable. He can’t stop grinning either. We haven’t heard about Rose and Hugo, yet. I should have waited, I suppose, but I was so desperate to tell you.” She giggled again. “I hope you and Teddy don’t mind me dropping in like this.”

“Teddy’s not here,” Scorpius replied, gathering her close for an extra long snog, and manoeuvring her to his makeshift bed. “He’s gone in early so he can take the afternoon off.”

“That’s ... um ... fortunate,” she said, her eyes widening in anticipation.

“And I’m not expecting Victoire for another two hours, so ....”

“The perfect way to celebrate,” she agreed in a whisper.


“I forgot to tell you,” he murmured afterwards as she lay in his arms. “I got another letter from my mum.”

Lily lifted her head from his chest and stroked his face. “Is she okay?”

“Not sure. She’s visiting her sister. Daphne’s in Mexico,” he added when Lily looked confused.

“Is that a problem?” Lily repeated, obviously not taken in by his casual air.

“Andromeda was right; my grandma keeps dropping hints about a new baby and Mum says she needs breathing space.”

“That’s good, isn’t it?”

“As long as Dad misses her, then yeah, I suppose so. It’s just ...” he stopped speaking not wanting to voice the thoughts running around his mind, a constant nagging pressure that maybe this was ...

“Scorpius Malfoy, don’t you dare blame yourself!”

“I’m not!” he retorted.

“Yes, you are. I can tell,” she said angrily. “And you’re thinking about going back, aren’t you?”

“NO!” he said firmly. “There’s no way I’m going back, not now, but ... I do feel guilty. If Mum and Dad split up, then it’s my fault.”

“Or the fault of your dad for being a prejudiced git!” she replied in a tone so vehement that Scorpius started to laugh.

“When did you get so clever?” he said, cupping her face in his hands and indulging in another very pleasurable kiss before breaking away.

“Since getting seven O.W.L.s,” she replied and started to giggle. “I really think I should be getting back now, though.”

Sitting up, the thin sheet slipped away from her shoulders. He could see a smattering of freckles at the top of her arm and pressed his lips to them.

“Spend the morning with me. Just the two of us.”

“Here?”

He shook his head, although as he slipped his hands around her and started to caress her breasts, he seriously considered dragging her back to bed. “I was thinking more of Diagon Alley. Andromeda has paid me and I need to buy Teddy and Victoire a wedding present ... your dad, too, as he’s invited me to his party.”

“I thought you’d want to play cricket again,” she said, sounding mischievous. “You seem to love the game so much.”

“Not,” he murmured, kissing her shoulder and this time he did drag her back to bed, “as much as I love you.”

***


Flush with some cash from Andromeda, Scorpius had bought Teddy and Victoire a set of matching bath towels (and smirked as he remembered his first meeting with Victoire), and had then, on advice from Lily, bought Harry some Chocolate Frogs and a bottle of wine.

“Yes, he does like Chocolate Frogs,” she said, looking pained when he hinted that she was more likely to enjoy them than Harry. “He still collects the cards and has never found Agrippa.”

“And no one’s going to be bothered about me not wearing robes?” he asked, fretting because in his family birthday parties were formal events, where he’d been required to look his best. “Thing is, I only have two sets and one are too wintry and the grey ones are a bit tatty.”

“Stop fussing!” Lily replied, laughing now. “Dad was brought up by Muggles and honestly won’t give a rat’s what you’re wearing ... as long as you put something on.”

“Okay, are we ready?” Teddy asked, walking towards the hearth. “Because after the week I’ve had, I am bloody gagging for a drink.”


Because the whole family plus other guests were expected, Ginny Potter had set out three trestle tables in the back garden for Harry’s birthday meal. She raised her eyebrows in exasperation when Lily appeared through the Floo and handed her a knife. “Potatoes won’t peel themselves,” she snapped and pointed to a bag on the floor. “I need potato salad for twenty-eight people.”

“Ugh!” Lily muttered, taking the knife and sitting at the table. “And she won’t let me do magic.”

Scorpius grinned and sat down next to her. “She can’t stop me, though. What do I need to do?”

“Peel the potato, of course,” Lily replied.

How hard can that be? Scorpius thought as he lifted his wand.

Fifteen minutes later, he found out.

“Scorpius, there needs to be some potato left after you’ve peeled it,” Ginny complained as she picked up an exceedingly thick piece of potato peel from the floor. She sighed. “Look, you’re a guest. Go outside with Teddy, and let us get on with it.”

“Okay,” he said quickly, pleased to get out of the kitchen.

“Leaving me here,” Lily grumbled. “It’s not fair, Mum. Why aren’t James and Al helping?”

“Because James is still at work and Al set up the tables and is now checking we have enough brooms.”

“Brooms?” Scorpius stopped walking towards the door.

“We always have a Quidditch match on Dad’s birthday,” Lily said and winked. “Didn’t I mention it?” She rolled her eyes and sighed dramatically. “Only, if I don’t get these potatoes finished, I won’t be able to play.”

He walked back to the table, scowling at her. “Have you got another knife, Mrs Potter? I’d hate your daughter to miss out on the chance of watching me catch the Snitch ahead of her.”

“In your dreams, Scorpy,” she said, laughing as she lobbed a potato his way.

He caught it and then ducked his head towards her. “I don’t dream of Quidditch anymore, but I do dream about a certain Seeker,” he whispered, and smirked when she blushed.

In the end, it was Molly Weasley who took pity on the hapless potato peelers and co-opted Rose, when she arrived, to help out. Giggling at Scorpius’ efforts, Rose set three knives peeling, sat with her feet up, reading a book, and waved both Lily and Scorpius away. “Go and find Al before he allocates you a Cleansweep Zero, or whatever that awful broom of Granddad’s is.”

“Cleansweep Two,” Lily said as she slipped away from the table and squeezed Scorpius’ hand. “You should go back to Teddy’s and get your Firebolt X.”

“Uh ... no, that’s okay. I’ll ... um ... stick with what I get. It’s not really fair if I have such a big advantage.”

Ginny, at the stove, turned to look at him. “Don’t be silly, Scorpius. We don’t mind and I’d love to have a go, unless you don’t want to share.”

“Uh...” Under the stare of not only Ginny and Lily, but Molly and Rose, who must have heard the hesitation in his voice, he felt as if he’d been frozen to the spot. He swallowed. “I don’t have it anymore,” he mumbled. “My grandma had it destroyed.”

“Oh Merlin, I’m sorry,” Ginny started to say, the shock on her face evident for them all to see.

He shrugged. “She thinks the sport’s stupid and ... well ... thought she could make me toe the line.” He smiled slightly, and shot a sideways glance at Lily. “It’s okay. I can borrow a broom “ even on the Cleansweep, I’ll still thrash the pants off you, baby Potter.”

Unaccountably, she burst into tears, and then turned on her heel and ran out of the kitchen and right down the garden lawn.

“What the ...?” he demanded out loud, gaping at the space where Lily had been and then at her family. “I didn’t mean it. She’s good ... really good... bloody amazing Seeker. Lily, come back!”

Rose rolled her eyes. “It’s the desecration of a broomstick, Malfoy. That’s akin to an Unforgiveable “ ask any Weasley,” she said, sounding slightly scornful. She paused, adding in a softer voice, “Perhaps you should have told her before.”

“I didn’t think,” he replied, staring out of the window. He turned back to Ginny and Molly who were both watching him. “Sorry, I don’t really understand why she’s so upset. It’s my broom and yeah, I was upset, but I’m out of there and-”

“Stop waffling to us and explain all that to my granddaughter!” Molly barked at him. Then, in a move that totally blindsided him, she bustled forwards, gave him a fierce hug, before patting down her apron and returning to the sink, where she started to top and tail a pail full of gooseberries.

Needing no further urging and ignoring Rose’s giggle, he dashed away in search of Lily. It didn’t take long; Lily was where he thought she’d be, behind the old summerhouse, slumped on the ground.

“Hey, Apple-Queen,” he murmured, and sat down next to her, only their knees touching. “What’s up?”

“Your Firebolt X,” she wept, her face was in her knees. “You didn’t tell me and I don’t understand why.”

He reached across, and twisted a tress of her hair between his fingers. “It’s not important, Lily, that’s why. She’s a twisted old witch who took it away because she thought it would stop me leaving. But the broom’s not important.”

“It’s not just the broom,” she whispered, her voice shaking. “You’re giving up everything, and what if we ... I mean ... what if you ... um...” He heard her take a breath and then she sat up straight and stared into his eyes. “You can’t do this for me, Scorpius.”

He smiled at her and, moving closer, cupped her face in his hands. “Lily, I love you, you know that, but it’s not about us “ not now. Going out with you just made me see things clearly. Or rather, it made me see things were wrong earlier than I would have done.”

“Do you mean that?” she whispered.

“That I’m not doing this for you, but because I’m a selfish git that wants to lead my own life, and doesn’t care if he upsets his family or splits up his parents “” He laughed, only slightly bitterly, and wiped away the tearstains on her face. “Yeah, I mean it, but then I’ll say anything to get a shag.”

Lily giggled, and lifted her arms to his shoulders. “You’re lovely.”

“I know,” he teased. “I’m also anxious to get to that broom shed before your brother gives me a broom from the Founders’ days. And I don’t want to get beaten up by your family for upsetting you.”

“My family loves you,” she scolded. “Well ... they do now.”

He gathered her into his arms, and smiled at her. “Your grandma just gave me a hug.”

“Oh dear,” Lily said, sighing melodramatically. “You’ll be getting a Weasley jumper next. And she always makes the best ones for people she’s not actually related to.”

He smirked, stood up and pulled her to her feet. “Your family is cool, Lily Potter.” Then he frowned. “Except for Dominique, who seems to think I’m evil. What is her problem with me?”

“You’re male,” Lily replied succinctly, “and her boyfriend just dumped her, so she’s very cynical.”

“In that case,” he said, holding Lily very close and letting his lips stray to her neck. “I must make sure I snog you a lot and annoy her even more.”
Chapter Endnotes: Teddy Lupin - just ... no words.