Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

High by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Ta, Natalie for all your help with this.

Harry was at the head of the table when Scorpius and Lily, their hands linked, sat down together for the start of the birthday lunch. The spread before them, a mixture of cold pies, meats and salads would have put Hogwarts to shame, and the banter flying around was certainly reminiscent of school days with everyone clamouring to speak at once. Not having much to contribute to the conversation, Scorpius tucked into the food and studied the rest of the Weasley family. He knew all of the cousins now, but there were two uncles he hadn’t yet met. Her uncle Charlie was abroad, not expected back until the following week, and her uncle Ron ... Scorpius gnawed his lower lip. Rose and Hugo’s dad was the one he was most nervous about meeting.

He’d seen Ron Weasley before at King’s Cross, but he’d always been with at least one of his parents. If his dad happened to be there, then the tension between the two men was clearly defined. Whereas his dad and Harry appeared to have reached some kind of peace, there had been no rapprochement between Draco and Ron. His dad had once said they loathed each other on sight, and nothing would ever change that.

So it was with trepidation that Scorpius eyed Ron Weasley when he arrived, slightly late, carrying a bottle-shaped parcel for Harry.

–Happy Birthday, mate.” He handed over the present, ruffled Rose’s hair, and then took a seat diagonally opposite Lily. –Not much, but at least it’s not a homework planner,” he said and smirked at his wife.

Everyone groaned. Harry laughed and unwrapped a large bottle of Firewhisky. –He says the same thing every year,” he explained to Scorpius. –Hermione was fond of useful gifts when we were at school.”

–Ah, sounds like my grandma,” Scorpius replied. His end of the table went quiet. He coughed, adding, –My mum’s mum always sends me quills and stuff like that.”

–They never appreciated me at school, Scorpius,” Hermione said fondly, bridging the awkward gap in conversation, –unless they wanted help with their homework.”

He smiled gratefully. Ron was looking at him with a rather odd expression, not angry, but almost bewildered to see him there.

–You must forgive my husband for not introducing himself properly,” Hermione said. –Ron, this is Scorpius. Scorpius this is Ron, Rose and Hugo’s dad.”

–Er, yeah, I think we recognise each other,” Ron muttered. Then, following a very noticeable nudge from Hermione, he held out his hand. –You’re staying with Teddy, right?”

–Temporarily, yes,” Scorpius replied defensively.

–Not too temporary,” Victoire called from the middle table. –Scorpius’ house-elf is a darling.”

Ron raised his eyebrows. –How the other half live,” he muttered. –Your own personal house-elf. I wouldn’t admit that in my wife’s company.”

–Free-elf, actually,” Scorpius replied, holding Ron’s gaze. –Mum gave her clothes nearly two years ago. She’s with me because ... Well, it’s a bit awkward at the Manor, to put it mildly.”

Ron said nothing more, but he loosened his grip on Scorpius’ hand and didn’t seem quite so hostile.

–See, he’s not so bad,” Lily whispered.

–I wasn’t worried,” he mumbled.

She pulled a disbelieving face. –Your expression when he arrived said differently,” she teased.

It was towards the middle of the afternoon, after a very satisfying lunch, that the talk turned to Quidditch. James was becoming increasingly voluble as he tried to sort out the teams.

–We ALWAYS do Potters against Weasleys, though,” he complained. –And it’s getting boring.”

–You mean we keep beating you,” Ron replied. Pushing his empty plate to one side, he winked at Harry. –What do you suggest, then, James?”

James gave a casual smile and appeared to think, but from the glint in his eye, Scorpius could tell he’d been thinking about this. –How about we split it generationally?”

–That’s hardly fair,” Ginny put in. –There’s not as many of us ‘older’players.”

–Yeah, but you’ve got two former internationals,” James retorted, –whereas we’re just raw talent.”

–How about three teams?”

Scorpius looked up to see Freddie’s mum, the former Arrows’ Chaser, had entered the debate. She took a sip of her drink, and leant across the table. –We could mix and match, or ...” Pausing, she flicked a look at her husband.

–Or what?” George asked, sounding curious.

–We have three proper Seekers, don’t we?” Angelina replied. –From what Roxy has told me, Malf - er - Scorpius over there is useful. So ... three teams and... ” She licked her lips. –We split along gender, as well.”

Ginny’s eyes widened as she smiled. –I do like the sound of that.”

–We can’t play full teams, though,” Harry said, but he didn’t sound as if he were objecting. –Five a side could work. Me, Ron, George, Bill and ...” He studied his guests his eyes flicking towards Percy, who shook his head. Harry sighed, then smiled. –Teddy, you’ll have to play for us.”

–But I’m their generation!” Teddy protested.

–Well, your dad was my dad’s generation, so that makes you one of us,” Harry replied. –Cheer up. We’re actually pretty good when we put our minds to it.”

–Yes!” hissed James, grinning. Reaching across Lily, he touched Scorpius on the arm. –It’ll make a change having you on my side, Malfoy.”

Lily pulled a face. –Nice to know I’m so wanted, James.” Then she turned away from him. –In past years I’ve always been Beater,” she added to Scorpius.

–Beater? But you’re tiny.”

–Hmm, but it’s hard to stop my dad being Seeker. He may act all fair, but when he plays Quidditch, he plays to win. And he’ll be itching to beat you.”

Smirking, Scorpius reached under the table and squeezed her thigh. –I’m only ever going to let one Potter beat me, and she’s already done that,” he murmured.

Lily laughed softly and tilted her mouth up to his ear. –See you in the sky, Scorpy,” she taunted. –I’ll be the one holding the Snitch.”

He closed his eyes, smiling as he remembered their first pre-match encounter, the words practically identical. –I was too cocky in our last match and I won’t make the same mistake twice, Apple-Queen.”

***


Although the garden of the Potters’ house wasn’t as big as Smithy’s Field, there was still room for a decent game of Quidditch. Paring the game down to two Chasers (James and Albus), one Beater (Louis Weasley, who had been two years above Scorpius) and a Seeker, Scorpius was wondering who would be Keeper when Albus appeared.

–How does this work, then?” Scorpius asked. Albus glanced across at him, looking puzzled. –I mean we can’t be using real Snitches; the game could go on for hours.”

Albus’ face cleared. –Oh, they’re training Snitches. Mum was given some when she retired. The game lasts about an hour, and if the Snitch isn’t caught it stops flying.”

Scorpius nodded. He’d heard of training Snitches, although they never used them at Hogwarts. –Does Hugo play at all?”

–Can’t fly that well,” Albus replied as they walked to the broom shed. –Knows the game inside out, though, which is why he commentates.”

They stopped at the patch of grass by the side of the shed, where Albus had laid out the brooms earlier. He bent down and handed one to Scorpius.

–So who’s going in goal?” he asked, adjusting his grip around the broom. It was old, but felt solid in his hands.

Albus gave him a sidelong glance, an amused look on his face. –You’ve been playing cricket with us for the past few weeks. I know you’re not a bad fielder, but you’re not as good as -”

–Freddie!” Scorpius interrupted. He grinned as he thought about the younger boy and his athletic catches.

–Yup. Safe pair of hands. And maybe next year he’ll make the team.” He sighed as he picked up his broom, running it between his hands. –I’m going to miss Hogwarts - especially the Quidditch.”

–Me, too,” Scorpius murmured. –There was nothing quite like match day, was there?”

–Endless possibilities,” Albus breathed. –Anything could happen.”

–Come on, you two,” shouted James. –I want to wrap up this match quickly against the old gits before we take on the witches.”


If Scorpius had been expecting an easy game against Harry’s team, he was soon proved wrong. It was obvious from the way they played that this wasn’t a one off event. Bill and Teddy had some very slick moves as they passed the Quaffle, George had a fearsome aim, Ron could certainly catch a Quaffle as well as anyone, and Harry ... Scorpius stared at him as he swooped around on his broom, scanning the horizon for any glimpse of the Snitch. Harry Potter had obviously been a great player at school. From the way he marshalled the team, it was clear he relished the competitiveness of the game. Recalling his dad’s chagrin that he’d ‘never managed to beat Potter’, Scorpius understood why. He knew his dad had been a decent player, and was still a good flyer on the rare occasions he took to the air with Scorpius, but he didn’t seem to enjoy it as much as Harry did.

–Oi, Malfoy, concentrate!” James ordered as he fired the Quaffle just wide of the hoop. –We’re ahead at the moment, so make sure you keep it that way!”

–You concentrate on your game,” Scorpius yelled back.

–My son getting to you, Scorpius?” Harry said as he flew alongside him.

–For a lion he’s a pussycat,” Scorpius replied, grinning. –Slytherins are far nastier. It’s why we win, Harry.”

Harry raised his eyebrows and leant over. –Not the best way to impress your boss.”

–You asking me to throw the game?” Scorpius mocked, but his words were lost as Teddy fired a powerful shot past Fred into the makeshift middle hoop. Scorpius cursed, especially when he noticed Fred’s shoulders drooping. Biting back the urge to yell, Scorpius jerked his broom downwards, still looking out for the Snitch, and swished towards the hoops.

–Fred,” he called out. –How about a bet?”

–Huh?”

–What odds will you give me on catching the Snitch before your uncle?”

Fred grinned, but didn’t take his eye off the action. –You’re good, Scorpius, but Uncle Harry is ... well, he’s determined and a bit of a legend. Three Sickles, though, and five if you beat Lily, as well.”

–Done!” he agreed .Legends are the past, Scorpius thought, but it was with renewed determination that he scanned the horizon looking for the Snitch.

From his vantage point, Scorpius marvelled at the game below. Louis was a stolid, if unexciting, Beater, but his aim was true, especially when trying to get his dad. Once again, he watched Al tearing into the opposition, but this time laughing as he did so. Matched with his brother, they certainly had the pace and skill, but against the more experienced Bill and Teddy, it was going to be a close run match. He hadn’t seen James play for a year, but he’d lost none of his style. He looked as slick as ever, and Scorpius was hard pushed to understand why he’d given up trying out for teams when he obviously enjoyed the game so much.

In the other goal, Ron was having an amazing game. Extremely assured guarding his hoops, he was soon in his element as he saved shots from both James and Albus. When he exuberantly batted one away with his foot and roared with laughter, Scorpius was hard pushed not to join in when he saw the exasperation on James’ face.

He was still hiding a grin when he saw it. A glint of gold close to those very hoops. He felt a rush of air past his ears and knew Harry had seen it, too. Cursing a multitude of Malfoys and especially his grandmother for taking away his Firebolt, Scorpius urged the old broom forwards, but Harry was just ahead of him.

–Not going to pull my broomtail, are you, Malfoy?” Harry taunted.

Scorpius grinned and started to lie flat along the broom. –Your daughter tried that with me,” he replied blithely as he drew alongside him. Then he kicked forwards and sped ahead. –Won’t work again!”

He could hear Harry close behind him. The pair of them swooping down towards the same prize. It was close to the hour now, and Scorpius knew if he failed to catch it, then his team would lose. It might be a friendly game, and for all he knew perhaps he was supposed to let Harry win, but ...


He swerved away from Harry, and down towards the Snitch now hovering above Ron’s right hand hoop.

–Come on, Harry!” Ron yelled.

Such was the passion in Ron’s voice, Scorpius half expected a foul, but he was too committed to his flight now and had to trust that Ron was a true Gryffindor who prized chivalry. He dipped, down, fully aware that Harry was a hair’s breadth away, his arm stretched towards the Snitch.

Ignoring all the cries around him, Scorpius focused only on the Snitch. Harry was close, a fingertip away as he edged in front, but Scorpius would not concede. With a sudden desperate lurch forwards, his hand brushed the Snitch, batting it just out of Harry’s and his own reach. Cursing, he watched as it started to lose some lustre, its magic fading.

–Don’t you dare bloody fade on me!” he roared. Then, with a side glance at Harry, Scorpius wound his legs tightly around the broom, took both hands off, and lunged.

–YES!” he yelled to the others. Holding the small golden ball aloft, he flew towards his teammates, laughing when he saw them flying towards him, delight wreathed on their faces.

–Never thought I’d enjoy seeing Malfoy make the catch!” James cheered.

–So glad you’re on our side,” Louis agreed. –Might stop them all going on about their Quidditch days.”

The five of them, after flying a deliberately flashy lap of honour, swooped down to the ground. Lily was waiting for Scorpius, running into his arms with such enthusiasm she almost sent him sprawling.

–You were brilliant! I thought the Snitch was about to disappear.” Then she stepped back. –Ughh, you’re hideously sweaty.”

Pulling her closer, despite her trying to wriggle away, Scorpius kissed her full on the mouth. –It’s a hot day. What do you expect?”

She giggled, pushed him away, and pulled out her wand. –Aguamenti!” The ice cold water landed on his forehead and ran in rivulets down his face. Grinning, he opened his mouth and lapped the jet of water from her wand.

–I need that,” he said, laughing.

–There are cold drinks over there, and if you want a clean t-shirt, there’s a pile of old ones by the hoops. Lily, we’re having a team talk by the apple tree,” said Ginny, smiling as she approached. –Good catch, by the way, Scorpius.”

Peeling off his shirt as he walked, Scorpius enjoyed the banter flying towards him. Teddy, looking as hot as he, was sitting with Louis having polished off half a bottle of beer. He dug into the ice-cold bucket and chucked one through the air. Scorpius sat down on the grass in the shade of a tree and took a gulp of his beer. –I should take it easy,” he said, putting it down next to him. –We’ve another game shortly.”

Louis stretched out on the grass, basking in the sunshine. –Relax, it’s just a friendly.”

–I can see from the face Scorpius just pulled, that he doesn’t see it that way. Certainly not going to let my daughter have it all her own way, are you?” Harry teased. With Ron and George behind him, he sat in the sun beside Teddy, but Lily’s uncles joined Scorpius under the tree.

–I like winning,” Scorpius said defensively.

–Good,” said George, –because if my wife and sister are the winners we’ll never hear the end of it.” Opening his beer, he glugged down half its contents then rolled the cold bottle over his pink, sweating face. –Merlin, I think I’m too old for this.”

–Yeah, I’ll be suffering in the morning,” Ron said, yawning. –Bet Hermione won’t let me lie in, either.”

–You’re a Keeper!” George ragged. –You never bloody do anything except hang around the hoops!”

–I have loads to do - even more ‘cause you’re a useless Beater who couldn’t stop a constipated flying pig!” Ron exclaimed belligerently.

Surprised at the flash of temper, Scorpius stiffened and pushed his back into the tree trunk. He heard a small laugh. When he looked up, he saw Harry grinning at him.

–It’s the Weasley temper, Scorpius. I expect you’ve seen the odd flash with Lily. Takes a bit of getting used to but they don’t mean it.”

–I do,” Ron said. Still glowering at George, he switched his attention to Scorpius and took a slug of his drink. –You played well.”

Surprised, because Ron didn’t sound grudging, Scorpius nodded his thanks. Slowly, he began to relax as he listened to the conversation and the way they dissected the game. Then, as he’d thought would happen, their talk drifted to past games.

–Remember that song,” George mused fondly and started humming something.

–Oh Merlin, not this again,” Scorpius thought he heard Louis mutter to Teddy.

–I came right in the end,” Ron replied. He closed his eyes and leant back on his elbows. –I was their king. Well, for that last match, anyway.”

George snorted. –Yeah, well I wasn’t at that match, having -”

–Dad!” A voice behind them made them all turned around. Fred grinned. –Please, please tell me you’re not about to tell the story of how you were banned from the team because you were provoked by Mal- ” He stared at Scorpius, stopped speaking, then looked down at his shoes. –Sorry.”

–My dad told me you were banned for beating him up,” Scorpius stated and shrugged. –That’s his story, anyway.”

–Uh ...” George flushed, looking even redder in the face. –It is true, but there was provocation. Your dad was very good at winding people up.”

Scorpius sipped his beer, trying to show that as far as he was concerned this wasn’t his fight. Then, just when the silence was starting to get sticky, Ron started to hiccup, which sent Freddie into silent giggles.

–Er...” he said, trying to hold his voice steady, –James has sent me to fetch you both. Next match starts in ten minutes. He wants to talk tactics.”

***


–Ready for the rematch, baby Potter,” Scorpius called.

Lily grimaced. –Eat my air, Scorpy. Remember, I’ll be the one laughing at the end of this match.” She pushed off from the grass and he watched awhile as she lilted through the air, a gentle breeze filtering through her hair.

It wasn’t as fast paced a game as the last one, largely because James and Albus were tired, but with two former professionals on the team, the witches’ side had a lot more skill. Whipping between James and Albus, Ginny laughed as she continually intercepted their passes, whisking the Quaffle away and into Angelina’s hands.

–Come on, boys. You should be able to beat your old mum!” she catcalled.

Scorpius kept only one eye on the game, the other he set to looking for the Snitch, but watching Ginny, he realised something. However good James Potter had been at Hogwarts, his mum was in a different class. And that, he supposed, was the difference between being good and being great.

He was mulling over this when he heard a whoosh alongside. Lily was brushing her hair off her face and smiling. –You love it up here, don’t you?”

–Oh, yes,” he breathed, and wondered anew how he could have thought about giving this up. He turned his head to speak to her, about to tell her how grateful he was that she’d made all this possible, and then he saw it.

The Snitch.

Perhaps something gave way in his face, because he saw Lily’s eyes widen and knew she’d seen it, too. He swerved in front of her, and they almost collided as she shot forwards.

–Think you can beat me, Scorpy,” she hissed.

–I know I can, baby Potter,” he retorted, and then with utter determination, not looking at her anymore and only concentrating on the prize ahead, he kicked forwards.

The broom was old and not as fast as his Firebolt, but it responded well to his commands. Her broom was a better one, and she was an excellent flyer. But he had the experience. He had the edge. He had the presence. And they both knew it.

She didn’t falter in the chase, but Scorpius was always going to get there first. The Snitch hovered ahead, glinting and flitting in the scorching sun, and he could feel sweat beading on his face. Lily was so close; he could hear her breath as she stretched out her hand. Quickly wiping his damp palm on his shorts, he reached across and plucked the Snitch from the air, feeling its wings tickle his hand before closing down to a motionless golden ball. He heard her howl mingled with his triumphant cry, and then turned to face his team.

Expecting them to be flying towards him and punching the air, he was disconcerted to see no one looking his way. Instead, the other players, were either on the ground, or hovering statically in the air. Lily, too, appeared puzzled.

–The game’s over!” she shouted. –Sorry, Mum. Scorpius caught the ...”

He was watching Lily now, rather than the others, but knew from her face that something was wrong.

–What’s up?” he asked in exasperation. –Was I supposed to not catch this, or something? Because no one bloody told me, and I thought this was -”

–Scorpius,” Lily interrupted. –Your dad is here.”


For the merest of moments, Scorpius wanted to turn tail and fly away. He stared down at the ground, at his dad standing with Harry, and at Ginny who had landed in front of them. From the far side of the garden, Ron Weasley started to walk across, only his wife’s restraining arm slowing him down.

–You don’t have to talk to him,” Lily blurted out.

He smiled ruefully, amazed again at the way she’d read his thoughts. –I know that, but I think I should.”

His dad looked at him coolly when he landed. Wearing stiff, grey robes, Draco looked as out of place in this garden as Scorpius, in his cut off shorts and old red t-shirt, would have looked at the Wizengamot.

–Good to see you’re making a sartorial effort,” Draco remarked. He raised one eyebrow, as not only Harry and Ginny, but Lily and Teddy congregated around them. –Can’t go anywhere without your bodyguards, I see.”

–It’s my house, Malfoy,” Ginny said witheringly. –I don’t need your permission to be here. You, however, will be on the receiving end of a lot more than words if you try anything.”

–Nice to see you again, too, Ginevra. Marriage and motherhood have softened you so much,” Draco mocked. Then he sighed. –Sorry, force of habit to snipe. Scorpius, I would appreciate the chance to speak to you - alone.”

–Going to drag me back to the Manor?” Scorpius said, feeling bold now that he knew he had back up. –Have you got another party planned? Or perhaps you’ve gone straight for setting up the whole wedding?”

Draco pulled out his wand, but before anyone could react, he handed it to Harry. –Take this. I’m now wandless, so I can’t Apparate anywhere. All I want is the chance to speak to my son.”

Harry narrowed his eyes. –You can speak freely here, Malfoy.”

–I’m not airing dirty laundry in public,” Draco murmured in a soft voice. –Some things can only be said between father and son; I’m sure you’ll agree.”

–Scorpius, you don’t have to be alone with him,” Teddy warned.

Draco pursed his lips as he looked over Scorpius’ shoulder. –I have no idea who the bloody hell you are, but this is a family matter so I would appreciate it if you’d shut the hell up.”

–He is family, Dad,” Scorpius said. –He’s Teddy Lupin, my ... er ... our cousin.”

Draco did a small double take whilst he stared again at Teddy. Then he shook himself, and wrenched his eyes away. –Scorpius, I promise I’m not going to force you into anything you don’t freely choose, but we do need to talk before this whole thing gets messier.”

Gazing deep into his dad’s eyes, Scorpius saw the desperate plea and nodded.

It was with reluctance that Harry showed them to the sitting room. Lily had clasped Scorpius’ hand as if scared of the consequences, but he’d kissed her softly on both cheeks and then her lips before following Harry. Then he took one of the armchairs and waited for his dad to begin.

–I want you to come back to the Manor.”

–No.”

–Let me finish.”

Scorpius stood up. –Come on, Dad. If that really is all you’ve come here for, then you’d better leave now. I’m not coming back.”

–It’s your home.”

–It’s a ball and a chain manacling me to an outdated existence.”

Draco snorted. –Which book did you read that in? Sounds like some dreadful historical romance.”

–It’s something Aunt Andromeda said,” Scorpius admitted. –I’ve got to know her recently.”

–Your grandmother’s sister,” Draco stated in a flat voice. He massaged the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger, a gesture he always did when he was weary. –You really are determined to rebel, aren’t you?”

–I just don’t want that life, Dad. You eloped with Mum, for Merlin’s sake. I thought you’d have a bit more understanding.”

–She’s left me,” Draco said abruptly. He leant forwards and pulled Scorpius back to him. –Run off to bloody Mexico to see Daphne, saying she won’t come back until I make things right with you. Please, Scorpius, come back to the Manor. It won’t be like before. I’m not going to force you to marry someone you dislike. Hell, you’re too young to be thinking about marriage anyway.”

He sounded sincere, and when Scorpius gazed again into his eyes, he knew his dad wasn’t lying. There wouldn’t be any prison this time and no gilded marriage cage. But ...

–And I can invite Lily over?” he asked.

Draco swallowed and didn’t answer.

–Your silence says it all,” Scorpius said and pulled away.

–You’re very lucky, do you know that?” his dad murmured in a voice so low that Scorpius had to strain to catch the words. –You live in a time where the only choices you have to make are about Quidditch teams, or which girl to take into Hogsmeade. I doubt you’ll ever have to know what real choices are, Scorpius. My mother defied the Dark Lord to save me. She could have died if he’d found out the truth, and it wouldn’t have been a quick, painless death. No, he liked to use torture, liked to reap the maximum humiliation on those who defied him, to teach us all a lesson.”

–It’s not those times!” Scorpius muttered. –I can’t live your way, Dad. I’m sorry, all right. I’m sorry for the utter shittiness of your life with Voldemort -”

–I saw a woman suspended in the air, tortured again and again for daring to write something in support of Muggles,” Draco continued, holding Scorpius steady in his gaze. –She wrote something, Scorpius, that was all, and he played with her like cat with a mouse, until finally feeding her to his snake. I watched all of that. I saw that woman die, saw her inglorious end.”

He shuddered as the recollection shook him, his voice trembling. Scorpius looked away, hating the sight of his dad so weakened by memories past.

–Me marrying a pure-blood to carry on the family line isn’t going to change that,” he said. –And it’s not going to stop your screams in the night when you remember Bellatrix.”

–I know,” Draco said solemnly. –I just want you to understand that I can’t let my mother down, Scorpius.”

–Sorry, Dad. I won’t come back,” he said, wishing he would get the message and leave, but he knew his dad of old, and waited for the next assault.

–This job with Potter. It’s what you really want, is it?”

Shrugging, Scorpius returned to the armchair. He stared out of the window, seeing Lily standing with Teddy, his arm across her shoulders as they waited. –I want to be an Auror, but they’re not running the training programme for a while. This way I can at least be in the department.”

Draco smiled sadly. –There was me thinking you’d be a Quidditch Player. I would have loved to see you play for the Wasps.”

–Really?” Scorpius gaped at his dad, taken aback by this revelation. –I didn’t think it would be a ‘suitable’ career for a Malfoy.”

–You’re good enough,” Draco remarked casually. –Zabini says you were quite brilliant in that last match. And I know how competitive you are. I watched you just then. You flew rings round that girl on a crappy old broom.”

Scorpius laughed, feeling pleasure ripple through him at the thought, then he sighed. –It’s a great dream, but pro Quidditch players get paid a pittance at first. I’d barely have enough money to live on.”

–I’ll fund you.”

–What?”

–You heard me, Scorpius. I will fund you. You can try out for every team in the league - doesn’t have to be the Wasps. I’ll even sponsor a team if it will get you started. With my backing, you could be one of the greats.”

–Wow!” Scorpius could feel his eyes growing wide with the excitement of it all. He imagined himself high in the sky, on his Firebolt X and swooping down low to the rapturous applause of his adoring fans. All of this could be in his future. He had the talent and now ...

–What’s the catch?”

–No catch,” Draco replied. –You won’t even have to live at the Manor.” He paused and licked his lips slowly. –However ...”

Here it comes.

–Professional Quidditch players - especially in the early days - can’t afford the distraction of a girlfriend.”

–So I dump Lily and you’ll fund me?”

–Crude expression, but yes,” his dad replied succinctly.

In an instant, the dream died. –Go bollocks!” Scorpius said sweetly, and turned to face the window. He blew a kiss to Lily, who blew one back, her face brightening. –And Dad, for your information, Zabini knows dick all about Quidditch. He hates it.”

–So you’ll take a boring clerk’s job in Potter’s department, even though you’ve not found a place to live,” Draco replied sarcastically. –Crashing on someone’s sofa when you could be comfortable at the Manor. That doesn’t sound at all like the boy I raised -”

–How do you know I haven’t found a place to live?” Scorpius demanded. Then it clicked. –You’ve told people not to rent to me, haven’t you? Merlin, I thought it might be something to do with the Malfoy name but I never imagined you’d sink so low as to threaten people.”

–Not that low,” Draco replied. –The landlords were perfectly happy with a few Galleons to send you on your way. And some of those flea pits,” he rolled his eyes, –I did you a favour.”

–No, you just want me to do what you say,” Scorpius spat. –It won’t work. I’ll stay at the Leaky Cauldron. Mrs Longbottom won’t be bribed.”

–Very expensive,” Draco said and smirked. –Or is Potter so impressed with you he’s paying you triple?”

–I’ll pull some shifts in the pub, or wash dishes, or sweep the bloody streets before I come back with you.”

–You’re quite determined, aren’t you?” Draco sighed. –Even though it could split your mum and me up permanently.”

Merlin, he knows how to play me!

–She’s angry at you and Grandma, not me.”

Draco stared out of the window. Following his gaze, Scorpius noticed he was watching Albus, Rose and Hugo as they sat on the garden wall together, occasionally shooting glances at the sitting room. –It’s like being back at Hogwarts, watching those three,” he muttered. –Although Weasley’s hair was never that long. They’re here, aren’t they? Weasley and Granger.”

–Yes,” Scorpius muttered, unsure what new tack his dad was taking with him. –Perhaps you should go. I’ll tell Mum you tried, if you want, but really I just think she wants a break from Grandma’s hints about new babies.”

It was Draco’s turn to look surprised. –What the hell are you on about?”

–Um ... Something Mum said in her letter. If there isn’t an heir, then Grandma will probably suggest you ... uh ... get another, somehow.” He grinned at the horror on his dad’s face. –You never know, she might introduce you to Claudine Vaisey.”

–I’m NOT divorcing your mother! What does she think I am? A bloody bull out to stud!”

Cheered, Scorpius laughed out loud. –Tell Mum that and she’ll get the next Floo connection home, although she’ll probably stop by Twilfit and Tattings, first.”

Draco roared, his laugh ringing through the room. –I miss you, you know. Being surrounded by bloody women all day is just not the same.”

–Don’t you like being in charge at the Manor?”

There was a silence. For a while, Scorpius wondered if his dad was going to answer him, but then Draco cleared his throat. –It’s my responsibility,” he said, –so there’s nothing else I can do.”

–Maybe you should return to your job at the Ministry,” Scorpius suggested. –I think Mum would be happier as well, especially if you bought her a bolt-hole in London.”

–I can’t leave the estate, not the way things are,” Draco said and sighed. –But we were happier in the London house.”

–Would you have let Lily cross the threshold?”

–Ah, now you’re asking,” Draco said. He put his glasses on and peered out of the window at Lily, who was still with Teddy, sipping Butterbeer and watching the window thoughtfully. –I dare say you’d have sneaked her in anyway. You do realise that this thing with her might not last the summer. She’ll be back at school soon and you won’t see her for weeks. There’ll be all those boys in her year and you’ll meet new people at work. ”

–I know,” Scorpius muttered. –But I’m prepared for it. There’ll be Hogsmeade weekends, and holidays, or good old fashioned sneaking around, which is a lot more than I’ll get if I came back with you.”

Draco took the rebuff with good grace, but lobbed a remark back. –Tell me, is she really worth it?”

Scorpius shrugged, uncomfortable with the way this conversation was going. His refusal to toe the family line had as much to do with not wanting to be told what to do as his relationship with Lily. –I don’t know,” he replied honestly. –You could be right and we won’t last the summer, but -” Merlin, this was embarrassing, –- I don’t know how to say this, but she makes me feel better about myself.”

His dad was looking at him curiously, so emboldened, Scorpius continued, –Remember the fall I had in the Quidditch match against Gryffindor?” Draco nodded. –I was shit scared after that. Couldn’t get more than a foot off the ground without wanting to throw up. She stopped that, Dad. She got me flying again, so without her, none of this crap about the Wimbourne Wasps would ever be more than a fairy tale.” He stopped talking and stared at his hands. –She makes me feel as if things will be all right,” he finished lamely.

He expected his dad to make a caustic remark at that point. In truth, a few months ago he’d have howled with laughter on hearing such a confession. But instead of laughing, Draco considered him for a long while and then walked over to the French windows to open them up. The conversations out on the grass stopped as everyone there stared at him. –Carry on, carry on,” he remarked sarcastically. –I just wanted a word with Granger ... Sorry, I mean, Madam Weasley.”

–What do you want with her, Malfoy?” Ron demanded.

Draco rolled his eyes, and Scorpius was hard pushed not to laugh. This was a performance so reminiscent of him arguing with Albus or Rose, it was like watching his old self in the days before Lily had changed everything. Above all, he recognised the show. This was his dad delighting in the disturbance, revelling in the ructions he caused.

–Oh, to whisk her away to a tropical isle of course, Weasley,” he replied. Then he straightened his face. –I want a word about a professional matter, actually.”

–Ron, it’s okay,” Hermione said and detached herself from him to take a step towards Draco and Scorpius. –As this is a professional matter, Malfoy, then I’d rather you made an appointment for next week. As it is, my decision about Scorpius’ legacy remains the same.”

–I understand that. It’s not about his will, just an enquiry,” Draco replied, then, taking Scorpius by the arm, he pushed him back into the sitting room and waited for Hermione.

–When we were at the reading,” Draco began, having ensured the doors were firmly shut. –You told us that ‘as it stands’ nothing can be done to alter the entail on the Malfoy estate. I don’t want this made public knowledge, and certainly I won’t be taking any action whilst my mother is alive, but I want to know if there is there any way of changing the Malfoy Manor Deed of Inheritance.”

–Oh!” Hermione’s expression must have mirrored Scorpius’ because she looked as astonished as he felt.

–Dad, what are you saying?”

Draco ruffled Scorpius’ hair, and smiled slightly. –I can’t claim to understand what you’re doing. To me she just looks like another girl, and I can’t see the attraction to all of this ... this ... rabble.” He chuckled at Hermione’s frown. –But your mother wants me to respect your choice and give you the freedom I didn’t have. She says that if I don’t, then I’ll lose you for good. I don’t want that, Scorpius, and I can’t lose her.” He paused and as he took a deep breath, Scorpius heard it catch jaggedly in his throat. –So, as you won’t give in to emotional blackmail, bribery, or even common bloody sense, then seeing if there’s a way of altering the deed is my only other option.”

–I will look into it,” Hermione said, her voice shaking as if she couldn’t quite believe it. –There could well be a precedent in the old law files. I’ll need to check a few things out, but the fact that you, as the current head of the estate, are willing to end the entail, must count for a great - ”

–Stop babbling, Granger,” Draco replied. He gave Scorpius a ghost of a wink. –This is, of course, no way connected to the fact that I’m struggling to find any close Malfoy relatives. The trouble is that the more I dig, the more I’m convinced that the Manor will end up with Neville-bloody-Longbottom.”
Chapter Endnotes: Okay, there is only one more chapter to go and that might be a bit delayed because a) I haven't written it. b) my beta is very busy and I CANNOT do it without her and c) I don't want this to ennnnnnnd. However, I do have one or two spin offs that will be High compliant. Thanks for reading.