Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

High by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This is the end (my friend) of High. I need to thank Natalie (hestiajones) for fixing my dreadful commas and resisting the urge to change Lily's name to Hugo. Much ♥, Natatat. And I have to thank all of you who have stuck with this story. Your reads, reviews and kind comments have been much appreciated.

Lyrics at the end are taken from High by The Cure which remained an inspiration throughout the two years it's taken to write this.

~~~
Scorpius cocked a smile at the man in the hallway mirror. Wearing black trousers, a charcoal grey shirt and a pale blue tie, he was pleased with his appearance, even if he wasn’t quite sure about the tie.

–That knot is far too wide,” Teddy remarked. He stepped towards Scorpius, and started to fiddle with it. –And this part needs to be longer than the bit underneath.”

–Ugh! You’re choking me,” Scorpius protested and pushed him away.

–Stop fidgeting!” Teddy commanded. Then he grinned. –There you go. Now you look like a Muggle and won’t draw attention to yourself.”

–Oh, I don’t know,” said Victoire. –With those looks, I think the girls are going to love him.”

–We’re not going to pick up girls!” Teddy said, sighing. He pulled Victoire towards him and nuzzled her ear. –I could always call this off and we have a night in instead.”

Victoire laughed and pushed him away. –I’m not giving up my hen night for the world, so if you stay in, it will be you and Scorpius playing Exploding Snap.” She turned to Scorpius and brushed some lint off his shoulder. –Please try and return him in a reasonably competent state. I know there are two days until the wedding, but I would like to ensure he gets there and you as well.”

–Scorpius isn’t drinking,” Teddy replied. –Well, that’s what he told me earlier.”

–Why?” Victoire asked.”I thought you’d love going out drinking with all the lads.” Scorpius flushed and mumbled something. –What was that?”

–I didn’t say I wasn’t drinking, just that I was taking it easy. I’m spending the day with Lily,” he said gruffly. –I start work on Monday, so won’t have much free time, after that.”

–And you don’t want to be suffering with a hangover. I think that’s very wise,” Victoire replied, her eyes twinkling. –Did I ever tell you about the time my mum caught Teddy reeling around our garden?”

–Stop gossiping!” Teddy complained. He tugged Scorpius away from the mirror, and then wrinkled up his face, adjusting his hair to a shade of burgundy to match his shirt. –Anyway, that was your dad’s fault, taking me out for a man-to-man chat to the pub.”

–I thought we weren’t supposed to stand out at this place,” Scorpius said, a puzzled expression on his face as he watched Teddy morphing his hair.

Laughing, Teddy clapped him on the back. –Oh, cousin o’ mine, you have a lot to learn about Muggles. This hair is positively drab compared to colours you’ll see.”

–I think you should go blond for the wedding,” Victoire mused as she tweaked Teddy’s now-mahogany spikes.

–I don’t think you’d want me out-blonding you, sweetheart,” Teddy replied in falsetto. Then, with an evil chuckle, he morphed his hair into an exaggerated version of Victoire’s, with platinum blonde curls swirling to his waist. –Should I walk down the aisle instead of you?”

–If you dare -” she spluttered as Scorpius burst into laughter.

–Don’t dare me, Victoire. You never know what I’ll do,” warned Teddy. He eyed himself in the mirror, still grinning. –I quite like this look. What do you reckon, Scorpius?”

A whoosh and a cloud of dust from the lounge hearth saved Scorpius from replying (which was good because the truth was Teddy strongly resembled Narcissa at that moment), and then Bill Weasley, shortly followed by another man, stepped into the flat. Doing a double take as he took in the scene, Bill raised one eyebrow.

–Which one of you is attending the hen-night?” he asked blithely. –Only, your first guests have arrived and your mum is in a flap.”

Victoire tutted, then pushed Teddy away from the mirror and reapplied some lipstick. –Is Dom there, yet?”

Bill shook his head. –On her way, along with Rose and Lily.” He stopped speaking and glanced over his shoulder at the other man. –Scorpius, I know you’re probably sick of the sight of us, but this is the last of Lily’s uncles. Charlie, this is Lily’s boyfriend and Teddy’s cousin.”

–The Seeker,” Charlie said. His mouth split into a huge grin as he held out his hand and clapped Scorpius on the back. –Good to meet you at last.”

–Uh ... yeah,” Scorpius muttered, not sure how to respond to such friendly overtures. Whilst Lily’s family were all fine now, they’d all had reservations. But Charlie, bluff and unshaven, with ragtaggle hair, was warm and open, interested in hearing Scorpius’ views on the current England team, or whether Puddlemere would ever find a Keeper as good as Oliver Wood.

–Okay, I’m ready,” Victoire interrupted, giving one last pout in the mirror. –Dad, please make sure James and Louis don’t tie Teddy to a lamppost naked and wandless.”

Bill leant across and pecked her on the cheek. –They won’t dare, Victoire. Now get home and placate your mother. She was still muttering about place settings when I left. I swear she wasn’t like this at our wedding.”

–Our mum was, though,” Charlie said, and started to chuckle. –Don’t you remember the amount of times she made Ron clean out the hen coop?”

–And forced that crew-cut on you,” Bill replied with a laugh. –I’m surprised she’s let you out looking like that.”

–I think she’s given up on me, but I did hear her muttering about young Hugo, poor sod.”

Victoire rolled her eyes, gave Scorpius a quick hug then kissed Teddy. –I’m going before these two re-run the whole day. Have fun and try to ... Oh, what’s the use? I know you won’t behave, just don’t do anything stupid and end up in a Muggle prison.”

–I work in Muggle Liaison. I can talk my way out of anything,” Teddy said cockily. He shook his hair back to deep red and gave Victoire a kiss on the lips. –Don’t worry about me. I want to enjoy tonight and remember it all. You go and have fun, sweetheart. I’ll see you ...”

–Our wedding day,” she whispered, hugging him tight. –I’ll be the one wearing white.”

***


After Apparating to a dingy back street, Teddy walked ahead with Scorpius, assuring him that he didn’t need much money as most of the drink was already paid for, courtesy of Harry. Behind, Scorpius could hear Bill and Charlie laughing as they swapped stories. When he thought about it, Scorpius wasn’t surprised to find Lily’s uncles and Harry were attending the stag night. They were a close-knit family and Teddy was very much a part of them, despite not being related by blood.

–Charlie’s the one that sends you the cool t-shirts, isn’t he?”

Teddy nodded. –He was at school with my mum. They were close, I’ve been told, and if it hadn’t been for the war, I think he’d have been my second godfather.” He smiled wryly. –I didn’t know my parents at all, only all the things I’ve been told, but I know they’d have approved of me marrying Victoire, and ...” As the crossing light switched to green, Teddy guided Scorpius across the road.

–You were saying,” Scorpius asked, curious as to why Teddy had stopped.

–Uh...” Suddenly Teddy looked shifty, fidgeting with his wand and not quite meeting Scorpius’ eye. Telling Bill and Charlie to go on ahead, he pulled Scorpius into the doorway.

–What’s the matter?” Scorpius half laughed at the serious expression on Teddy’s face. –Merlin, you’re not having second thoughts, are you-”

–No, no, of course not. It’s nothing, really.” Teddy swallowed, and then he smiled. –I just wanted to say that I’m pretty sure they’d have approved of me getting to know you. And ... well ... if we’d got to know each other earlier, then I would probably have asked you to be my best man and not James.”

Scorpius blinked. Then he tried to swallow, but a hard lump had formed in his throat. –Uh ... thanks,” he mumbled, unsure what else he could say, and how he could convey how truly touched he was by Teddy’s words. –I’m glad we met, too, and ... well, yeah, that best man thing ... you’ll be my first choice ...”

Teddy stepped back in surprise. –Are you-?”

–No. NO!” yelped Scorpius. Then catching Teddy laughing, he punched him on the arm. –You know what I mean.”

–Yeah,” Teddy replied, still laughing. –I reckon I do. But just so you know, I wasn’t that much older than you were when I started seeing Victoire. And I’ve told you about Weasley witches ...”


The pub Teddy had chosen was a lively one. There were two floors, the downstairs housing a small dance floor, the upper floor comprising a packed bar and a balcony where they could look down at the dancers. Scorpius and Teddy were the last to arrive and hustled their way through the crowd to a cordoned off area in the far corner. Despite joining three tables together, not everyone could get a seat, so Scorpius stood with James and Louis, who were having an animated discussion.

–Scorpius. Thank Merlin, someone with a sense of humour!” James declared. He reached across to a pitcher of beer and poured Scorpius a glass then topped up his own drink.

–Cheers.” Scorpius accepted the drink and took a swig. –Why do you want someone with a sense of humour?”

–Louis doesn’t get my joke,” James stated.

–I get the joke,” Louis replied. –Although how you can classify it as one, I have no idea. All I’m saying is that my mum won’t like it.”

–What’s Fleur got to do with it?” Scorpius asked, looking round. –I thought she was supervising the hen-night.”

James grinned ruefully and pulled out a wodge of parchment. –Best man speech. Just tweaking it.”

–More like writing it,” Louis scoffed. –So far it’s an introduction and then a string of random jokes that get smuttier. I’m telling you, James, that if my mum doesn’t hex your mouth shut, then Andromeda will - and a lot more painfully.”

–Bollocks, I’m going to have to start again, aren’t I?” Making puppy-dog eyes at both Louis and Scorpius, he implored, –Any chance you two will help?

–No chance!” Louis laughed openly. –Do your own dirty work.”

–Don’t look at me,” Scorpius said when James turned his gaze to him. –The only best man speeches I’ve heard were years ago when I was a kid. You need someone with experience.”

–Mmm...” James pondered Scorpius’ words then took another swig of his beer. –Ah, forget it. I’ll ask Uncle Ron tomorrow. Tonight, I’m going to get absolutely trollied and disgrace myself on the dance floor with a Muggle girl or five. You joining me?” Louis nodded, but Scorpius shook his head. –Merlin, my sister really does have you under her thumb. Loosen up, Malfoy.”

–I’ll have more fun watching you get turned down, Potter,” he said, smirking. Then seeing Albus and Hugo waving to him, he stepped away. –Not all of us,” he continued, –are desperate and dateless for the wedding.”

–Dateless, but never desperate,” James replied, laughing as he pulled Louis’ arm and headed for the dance floor.


About two hours later, and with a handful of Muggle money, Scorpius was standing at the bar and trying to catch the barmaid’s attention. Behind him, Charlie was waiting with George, ready to help with the drinks, but they’d pushed Scorpius forwards, declaring he’d get the girl’s attention far better than they could. He could hear the brothers joking together. Lily had said her Uncle Charlie came back once or twice a year, but he seemed to slide straight back into the family patterns, laughing with Bill, teasing Percy, talking jokes with George and Quidditch with Ron and Ginny.

–What’s the order again?” Scorpius asked, raising his voice over the noise around them.

–Uh ... three pitchers of lager, and whatever Hugo’s drinking.”

–What about Percy and Harry? They’re not drinking now.”

But his question was lost as George and Charlie carried two of the pitchers back to their tables.

–Anything else, love?” the barmaid asked, eyeing him with a smile.

He wracked his brain, trying to remember what Harry had been drinking. –Uh ... yes, I just can’t remember.”

She leant across the bar and flipped him on the nose. –Hurry up, sweetheart. I do have other customers, although they’re not as lush as you.”

Slightly taken aback by the attention, Scorpius smiled but pulled away. –Sorry, it’s a brown drink... fizzy.”

Rolling her eyes, the barmaid sighed and gestured to the rows of optics, and then the shelves stacked with bottles. –Take your pick, love,” she said, sounding amused. –But don’t take all night.”

–It’s coke,” a female voice said behind him, –and I’ll have a white wine spritzer.”

–How do you ...” He turned around expecting a stranger and found, instead, that he was staring into a pair of very beautiful aquamarine eyes. –Dominique! What are you doing here?”

She shrugged. –There’s only so much time I can spend with all the women in my family.” Leaning forwards, she spoke directly to the barmaid. –That’s one white wine spritzer, a coke and -”

–Four cokes,” Scorpius interrupted, deciding he’d have one as well. –And the wine thing, as well.”

Looking faintly put out by Dominique’s appearance at his side, the barmaid completed the order with tight lips, and accepted the money.

–We’d like a tray,” Dominique said. She half smiled when the barmaid grumpily handed her one. –Looks as if I queered her pitch for you, Scorpius. But really her standard of service is appalling if she’s only interested in serving good looking young men.”

–You seem to know what you’re talking about,” he replied as she loaded the tray with the pitcher and other drinks.

–I should bloody hope so. I work in a restaurant.” Sipping her wine, Dominique picked her way through the crowd at the bar, clearing the way for Scorpius and seemingly oblivious of the comments and looks she was getting from most of the men in the pub. –Is James pissed yet?”

–On his way,” Scorpius said. He stopped and with his head gestured to the dance floor. –He’s with your brother. They keep trying to pull girls, but aren’t having much success.” He winced, but Dominique laughed when they saw Louis receiving a slap from a Muggle girl in a very short and very tight black dress.

–My brother really should have learnt by now that the direct approach doesn’t work.” She stopped watching James and resumed her walk to the far table.

–Depends on the girl,” Scorpius replied, remembering Ariadne and Heloise.

–Is that how you and Lily got together?” she asked sceptically.

–Ah, no. That was very different. A series of stops and starts.”

Dominique turned around, a curious look on her face. –How do you know there won’t be more stops?”

Placing the try down on an empty ledge, Scorpius stared at her. –I ... don’t.”

–At least you’re honest,” she muttered and started to walk away, but Scorpius plucked her sleeve.

–You don’t like me much, do you?”

She stared back, no mockery in her eyes now as she perused him. –I remember you at school. Your first ever Quidditch game and you flew with such purpose and such ... ruthlessness. I was, if I’m honest, in awe.” She sipped at her drink. –Not sure you remember me. I was a Beater, not brilliant, but my aim was accurate, and usually low. I think we fly very much as we live our life.”

–Are you saying purpose and ruthlessness are bad things?”

Dominique looked down, smiling slightly at her brother and James who were now taking a breather from dancing. –Depends who gets caught in your wake. James flies for the thrill, Louis because the rest of us did and Lily ... she flies with a great deal of passion and love. I’d hate to see her lose that.” Then she sighed. –Sorry, it’s really nothing personal. I don’t like anyone much and I’m always a bit antsy at family gatherings.”

–Your family are great!”

–Yes, it makes it even harder to be a bitch,” she replied, and started to laugh at his shock. –There were times, Scorpius, when I would have given anything to be an only child, and with no cousins to be compared to.”

He shook his head. –You’d have hated it. All the expectations have fallen on me, and I’ve just about failed to live up to every single one.”

–True,” she replied, and now when she smiled at him, he could see it was genuine.

–Nix!” James’ voice from the stairs seared across to them. –What the hell are you doing here?”

–Keeping an eye on you,” she countered. –And checking you’ve completed your speech.”

With a grin, James made his way to them. –Not quite ...” he replied. He dove into his jacket pocket and pulled out the parchment. –Louis says my jokes are too rude. You wouldn’t take a look, would you?”

–Oh for Merlin’s sake,” she sighed, grabbed the speech from his hands. –I can’t see in this light, James. Just.... I don’t know. Tell some crappy story about how they were meant to be together, flatter my mum and Andromeda, and don’t tell any of Uncle Ron’s awful jokes.”


When Teddy declared it was time to find a nightclub, very few of them demurred. Scorpius, however, becoming increasingly aware that he was now reliant on everyone else to buy him a drink, declined and instead offered to help Harry and Ron get an inebriated Hugo home.

–I wonder if I can sneak him into the house without Hermione seeing him,” Ron said as he hoisted an arm around Hugo’s shoulders. –He is going to have one hell of a hangover tomorrow.”

–How are we getting home?” Scorpius asked. –Is he safe to Apparate?”

Harry peered at Hugo and shook his head. –Knight Bus.” Checking there was no one around in the side street they’d walked to, Harry stuck out his wand to summon the bus.

It arrived almost immediately, its door swinging wide. Scorpius looked around curiously. He’d heard of the Knight Bus, but had never travelled on it. In the lamplight, he could see a variety of travellers. Some were like him, young and obviously returning from a night out. Others were older, huddled in blankets and sipping hot chocolate. Grumbling over the lack of seats, Ron propped Hugo against the stairs and stood with Harry as they negotiated the fares.

–I think I’m a bit pissed,” Hugo murmured. –The room’s gone all spinny.”

–Yeah.” Scorpius grinned and crouched next to him. –You could say that. You all right?”

–Mmm, think so.” He slumped sideways, his head landing on Scorpius’ chest. –Think I’ll sleep for a bit.”

–Not on me, you won’t,” Scorpius muttered as he tried to extricate himself from the arm Hugo had now slung across him. –Uh, Ron, I think he’s out cold.”

–I could cast Ennervate, I suppose,” Ron mused, –but the state he’s in he’ll throw up everywhere. Merlin, Hugo, your mum is going to hex me alive.”

–We’ll head for Teddy’s,” Harry decided. –With any luck, if we drip- feed enough black coffee into him, he’ll sober up before they return from the hen-night.”

The plan decided, they arrived shortly after midnight, entering through the front door instead of Apparating. Scorpius led the way, lighting the lamps and hurriedly collecting up the coffee cups.

–Your house-elf got a day off, has she?” Rom asked.

–Uh, sort of. She’s at Shell Cottage helping Victoire and Fleur. You can put Hugo down on the sofa, if you want. I can’t see him waking, though. Maybe he should sleep this off.”

Ron nodded and after depositing Hugo on Scorpius’ makeshift bed, he wandered into the kitchen, returning with three small bottles of beer. –You found anywhere to live yet?”

–Not yet. Most of the places are either horrible or out of my price range. I might ask Mrs Longbottom if I can stay at the Leaky for a while. Maybe pull a few shifts in return for rent.”

–You’ve done a lot of bar work, have you?” Harry asked mildly.

–None.” Scorpius accepted the beer and took a swig. –But I’m running out of options. I really can’t stay here for much longer.”

–Have you thought about sharing with someone?” Ron asked. –You might get somewhere reasonable if you split the rent.”

Scorpius smiled wryly. –Most people I know are already sorted out, and I’m not easy to live with. I like my own space.”

Ron looked at him thoughtfully. He said nothing, but the blue eyes were slowly assessing him, perhaps trying to see beyond the Malfoy visage. –You get on with Macmillan, don’t you?”

–Ben? Uh ... yes, reasonably well. He’s a hard bloke to dislike. Why?”

Ron put down his bottle on the small coffee table in front of him, and after a sideways glance at Harry, looked directly at Scorpius. –Rose was telling me that Ben doesn’t want to live with his family. He’s got a job in International Affairs, or something. Anyway ...” He trailed off and then splayed his hands on the table. –Rose knows that the flat above the Diagon Alley shop is empty. We’ve not used it for years, except as a stock room. It’s got two bedrooms ... if you’re interested.”

Scorpius gaped at the man. –I’m definitely interested. But the rent in Diagon Alley must be astronomical.”

Shrugging, Ron picked up his beer. –You can pull some shifts for us until Harry pays you a decent wage. And you’d be doing us a favour. There’s always some joker thinks he can break in. With you and Ben living in, it’ll be extra security.”

–I-I-I don’t know what to say.”

–Yes?” Harry suggested. He started to laugh. –A Weasley helping out a Malfoy! Draco’s not going to believe this.”

–Not sure I do myself,” Ron muttered, then he grinned. –You’re not your dad. You fly a bloody sight better than he ever did, for one thing. Does make me wonder why you still want to be an Auror and not a pro.”

Scorpius gave a small smile in reply. In truth, since Harry’s birthday and his dad’s visit, the idea of flying professionally had been nagging at the back of his mind.

–Did you ever think of playing professionally?” he asked, directing the question to Harry.

–Once or twice,” Harry admitted. –But my circumstances were very different and becoming an Auror was the only thing I seriously considered. Quidditch was always a release, I suppose.”

The three of them lapsed into silence, the quiet punctuated by Hugo’s snores. Then Harry drained his drink, leant forwards and touched Scorpius on the forearm. –If you want to try out for the pro teams, I won’t hold you to our contract. You’re not under any obligation to me because of Lily.”

–Thanks,” muttered Scorpius. He didn’t say anything else about it. For far too many months, his mind had been occupied with problems. Now, just as he was finding solutions and his life was slipping into place, another option was opening up to him.

***


His dilemma was further complicated the morning of the wedding when the post arrived. Scorpius was just emerging from the shower when he heard Teddy calling out. Wrapping a towel around his waist and rubbing his hair to stop it dripping, he wandered through to the kitchen.

–That’s Kronos!” Scorpius declared. –My dad’s owl. What on earth is he doing here?”

–Delivered that,” Teddy replied, pointing to a package propped against the wall, –and won’t leave, so I’m guessing your dad wants an answer.”

Scorpius stared at the long oblong box, a small glimmer of comprehension and hope entering his mind. There was a note attached, so after giving Kronos a handful of breakfast cereal, he ripped it open.

‘Scorpius,
Your grandmother doesn’t know this, but your broom wasn’t destroyed. I intervened before the house-elf had a chance and Transfigured it into a kitchen mop.

If you would like to attend Quidditch trials and you succeed, then I will fund you. This time, I promise, there are no catches, but my patronage will have to remain anonymous. If, however, you would rather make your mark in the Auror Department, then I will understand. I would hate you to feel you have to follow a path that you don’t truly want.

Your mother is returning next week. You were right; she needed her space and time away from everything at Malfoy Manor, so we’re planning on buying a small flat in London for use during the week. And when things settle down at the Manor, I will probably take on some consultancy work for the Ministry. Apparently, I’m missed in the Curse-Breaker Department, which amuses me no end as no one wanted to employ me all those years ago.

Kronos has been instructed to wait for a reply. Please don’t sign your note. Your name is still not spoken around here. In time, your grandmother may thaw, but for now, she’s too grief-stricken to think clearly. She’s always loved you, Scorpius, and she still does, but she’s ‘manacled to an outdated existence’ - as you so eloquently put it - and can’t see anything else beyond duty.

Take care and enjoy your life - whatever route you decide to follow.

Dad

PS: Thoroughly relieved to report that I remembered Longbottom married a half-blood, so he wouldn’t be able to inherit the mansion, even if he were a relation. Unfortunately, having trawled through the Malfoy family tree, I’m rapidly coming to the conclusion that the nearest relative is Ernie Macmillan. You won’t know him, but he was an incredibly irritating boy in my year from Hufflepuff. Merlin, I think that’s worse than Weasley! Tell Granger I’ll be coming to visit her some time soon.’


–Are you all right?” Teddy asked tentatively.

–It’s my Firebolt X,” Scorpius murmured. –Dad’s sent it back. He ... uh ... wants me to try out.”

–And will you?”

–I ... don’t ... know.” Scorpius shook his head slowly, trying to focus his thoughts. But it was no use. He had to think about this properly but not today. He turned to Teddy. –Do you need me to do anything today?”

Teddy raised his eyebrows, obviously recognising that Scorpius was changing the subject. Pouring Scorpius a mug of tea, he pushed out a chair and beckoned for him to sit. –Have fun. I know I’m going to,” he replied.


By the time they were ready, most of Teddy’s laissez-faire attitude had evaporated. Scorpius had never seen him looking the slightest bit anxious about anything, but had to admit that as they landed in the garden of Shell Cottage, the set up was enough to break the strongest man’s nerve. Teddy nodded to some of the milling wedding guests, but kept walking as he made his way towards James, who was fidgeting with his wand and patting the chest pocket of his shirt.

–Checking for the rings,” Teddy whispered. –He looks as nervous as I feel.”

–Why are you nervous? You and Victoire are made for each other.”

–Yeah, I know that.” He looked around at the of chairs under the marquee, the flower garlands festooning the rows, the silk ribbons in cream and turquoise trailing from the tent poles, drinking it all in before he turned back to Scorpius. –This is huge and I don’t want to make a tit of myself, that’s all. Merlin, there’s even going to be something in the Prophet. I bloody hope they don’t want an interview, I’m shaking enough as it is.”

–You always know what to say,” Scorpius soothed. –I think you should take your own advice and have fun.” He grinned as he saw someone approach. –Besides, that journalist isn’t going to do a hatchet job.”

–Huh? How do you know? They’re always trying to muckrake, especially that Vane woman.”

–Because,” Scorpius drawled, –unless she’s taken Polyjuice Potion, the reporter covering your wedding is Lavender Brown, and she’s very definitely cool.”

–Hello there, boys!” called Lavender, a smile on her face and a quill in her hand. –You’re both looking very handsome. Teddy, can I get a quote from you now, or shall I wait until the whole shebang is over?”

Teddy had turned paler now, and grabbed a glass of orange juice from a passing waiter carrying a tray. –Uh ... later if you don’t mind, Lavender. I need to speak to James.”

–That’s fine,” she said, waving him away. Linking her arm with Scorpius, she proceeded to walk through the marquee and out to the edge of the garden overlooking the sea.

Scorpius drew a breath, smelling the salt in the air and watched the light breeze rippling through the sand grass.

–You’ve had a funny sort of year,” Lavender mused. –Lots of drama and excitement, so it’s good to see you looking so well.”

–Do I?”

She nodded. –Settled as well. When I think back to the beginning of the year...”

He considered her words, remembering everything that had happened since that first match: his fall, Lily visiting him in the hospital wing, handing him the Pustule Pip, their first kiss and her insistence that he get back on his broom.

Small things, and yet Lily Potter had changed his life in irreparable ways, smashing through his persona with the full force of any Bludger.

–Was I a complete prat?”

Lavender started to giggle. –A little. It was your obstinacy that infuriated me. Mind you, Lily doesn’t stint in that department either. Perhaps it’s that rather than Quidditch that has kept you together.”

Kept . Past tense. She was back at school in two weeks time and who knew what would happen when he wasn’t around. Moodily, he scuffed the grass in front of him with his foot and tried not to think of Lily going to Hogsmeade without him, or celebrating a Quidditch win in someone else’s arms.

–Hey, this is a wedding. Cheer up!” Lavender cajoled.

Fixing a smile on his face, Scorpius muttered something about being tired. He didn’t think Lavender was fooled, but she didn’t press him anymore. Instead she turned her back to him and the sea, and mused on the colour scheme Victoire and Fleur had chosen.

–I hope you’ve brought a camera.”

–Uh, no, I haven’t. Why?”

–Because I’ve had a sneak preview of the bridesmaids’ dresses and Lily is going to look absolutely gorgeous.” She took a breath and touched him on the arm. –You won’t need a photograph, though, not when you have the actual girl.”

He shrugged but didn’t answer.

–Stop brooding over something that hasn’t happened. Lily is tenacious, and a little thing like living three hundred miles away isn’t going to stop her seeing you.”

–How ...” he stopped speaking, utterly amazed that Lavender had read his thoughts with such prescience. –Are you a Legilimens?”

–Ha ha, no. I simply have years of experience reading a very enigmatic man. Compared to Blaise, you’re as open as any book. Now, Scorpius, stop fretting and enjoy the day.”

–Yes, Mrs Zabini,” he said obediently.

–Call me Lavender,” she replied, as they started to head back. –’Mrs Zabini’ makes me feel hideously old and I don’t have to be responsible for you anymore.”

He caught her laugh and joined in, enjoying her company now he knew she wasn’t scrutinising his every move. –Are the Professor and Xander here?”

–Blaise is. I left him chatting to Rose and Hermione about Potions, but we left Xander with my mother. I just hope I get this article put to bed early so we can enjoy ourselves. Merlin knows, I love my son to bits, but I would like one night off.”

***


Lavender had lied when she’d said Lily would look gorgeous, Scorpius decided. When he saw her walking down the aisle, holding one corner of Victoire’s ivory train, his heart literally stopped before pounding back to life in his chest. Its pulse was so strong his ribs ached.

In fact, he wondered what word could possibly be enough to describe how sensational Lily was looking. At the Valentine’s ball, she’d looked grown up and glamorous - but it had been a facade, a painted shell that he’d hated because it wasn’t her. At the back of his mind, he’d been dreading today’s transformation. But gazing at her now, in a dress of sea-green silk that slipped over her demurely, yet seductively, she took his breath away. Both bridesmaids wore their hair loose, with silver coronets keeping the tresses in place. But where Dominique looked regal and every inch a fashionable beauty, Lily looked unworldly, as if she’d stepped from the sea. A surge of longing swept through him, a longing not just to hold her, but to keep her close always.

Her hands were trembling as she lowered Victoire’s train to the ground, and then she stepped to the side and sidled into his row, taking the seat next to him. He could hear her breath catching in her throat and very deliberately placed his hand over hers, giving it a small squeeze.

–You look beautiful,” he mouthed.

She smiled, a tear glimmering on her lower lash, and gripped his hand tight. –Thank you,” she whispered.

Smiling at her, Scorpius turned his attention back to Teddy and Victoire as they exchanged vows. Both had relaxed now, and Scorpius felt his own tension evaporate as he watched them declare to the world their love and commitment to each other. Then, when the celebrant pronounced them ‘bonded for life’, Teddy turned to his guests, punched the air, before turning back to Victoire and kissing her very thoroughly. His hair changed from the dark brown he’d been sporting, to a vibrant red before he settled back to brown again.

–Such a show off,” scoffed Andromeda from the front row, but she sounded indulgent and as she turned around to speak to Scorpius he could see her eyes swimming with tears.

–I need to follow them out,” Lily murmured, –and I’m sitting at the top table, but I’ll escape as soon as I can.”

–Make sure you do,” he replied, slipping his arm around her waist. –Or I’ll sulk.”

Lily giggled. –You’re sitting with Fred and Roxy, I’m fairly sure you’ll be running a book on something. How many bad jokes James tells, perhaps.”

–Perhaps,” he replied, reluctantly letting her go.


–Scorpius!” George greeted him warmly, shaking his hand before fishing something out of his pocket. –Let me give you the keys to the flat before I get so hammered I lose them.”

–It’s a mess,” Angelina warned. –I’ll make sure George and Ron remove the defunct stock, but it will need a good clean before you move in.”

–I really don’t mind,” Scorpius replied. –I am just so grateful to have found somewhere.”

–And you have a house-elf,” Fred interrupted. –You can just set her to work.”

Scorpius grinned. –Very true. Although my mum is due to return to England soon, and she wants Truckle back.”

–Are you ready for your first day at work?” Angelina asked.

Scorpius nodded, but before he could say much more, a waiter appeared with their starters, levitating the plates above then setting them on the table with a gentle drop.

Angelina shivered. –I remember my first day at the Arrows. I walked into that changing room, convinced I’d fly straight into the first team, only to be directed towards a stack of Quaffles and told to clean and wax them all.”

–You made it to the first team quickly, though,” Scorpius said. He blushed slightly when she raised her eyebrows. –I’m an Arrows fan.”

–You can’t have seen me play, though. I was invalided out of the game after five years.”

–Uh ... yeah, but you’re still their most prolific scorer over a season and I’ve read a few things about you.”

–Oh, it’s nice to have a fan after all these years,” she replied and helped herself to more wine. –Mind you, I was lucky with the Arrows. The war had decimated the leagues and there wasn’t the foreign influx you see nowadays.”

–My wife is too modest. She was always a brilliant player and would have made it against any competition,” George interrupted.

–My husband is too kind,” she retorted, but she was smiling fondly.

–You’re a good player, Scorpius, have you never fancied trying your luck with the pros?” George asked.

–Um, I’ve thought about it,” Scorpius admitted, –quite a lot recently, if I’m honest.”

–OHHH, you should try out!” exclaimed Roxanne. –It would be seriously cool for Lily to have a Quidditch player for a boyfriend.”

–And I could sell your autograph when you become famous,” Fred urged.

–Angelina and Ginny still have contacts,” George put in. –And Oliver Wood is a family friend. With his influence, I could easily swing you a trial with Puddlemere.”

As they chatted on, all three of them offering advice and encouragement, Scorpius glanced across at Lily. She was laughing at something Harry was saying to her, then she caught his eye and smiled.

–You are the best Seeker I’ve ever seen,” Roxanne was saying, –but don’t tell Lily that. Don’t you think so, Mum?”

Looking away from Lily, who had turned back to her dad, Scorpius saw Angelina studying him intently. –He’s an excellent player,” she said lightly. –But it all depends what Scorpius really wants, doesn’t it.”

–Who wouldn’t want to be a pro?” Roxanne asked, scoffing at the very idea that there was something other than Quidditch in Scorpius’ life.

–Harry didn’t,” Angelina replied. –And I remember seeing your Uncle Charlie’s last year for Gryffindor. Everyone assumed he’d play professionally, but what happened ...”

–He fell in love with dragons,” George finished her sentence. He looked more sombre now, perhaps remembering his own Quidditch days. –I think my wife is trying to tell you something, Scorpius.”

Scorpius stopped eating and took a sip of his water. –What would your advice be?”

Angelina sighed as she leant across the table. –Scorpius, the fact that you’re asking for advice on whether you should become a pro, suggests to me that you’re not hungry enough. You certainly have talent, and potential, but none of that matters if it’s not what you really want to do.”

–It’s always been a dream, though,” he insisted. –Always at the back of my mind, I’ve had this vision that I’ll play for the Arrows, or the Wasps, or even -”

–But you’ve never tried to make it a reality,” Angelina said gently. –Scorpius, I don’t want to put a dampener on your dreams, but you have to be very sure it’s what you want. Getting injured was only made bearable for me by the knowledge that I was doing the only thing I’d ever wanted to do.”

As Angelina stopped speaking, Scorpius noticed George squeezing her hand, his eyes full of love and compassion. –Sorry,” Angelina murmured. –I don’t mean to be harsh.”

–You haven’t been,” he replied. –You’re being honest, and I appreciate that.”

As soon as the speeches were finished, and the cake had been cut, Lily made a beeline for his table. She’d removed the silver coronet declaring it uncomfortable, and was about to take off her shoes when the band started playing one of her favourite songs. As her face lit up, Scorpius stood up, smiled down at her, and led her to the dance floor.

–Are you allowed to have fun now?” he asked and span her around.

Lily rolled her eyes. –I’m in line for a few duty dances, but I think James will pass on that, and Teddy looks as if he doesn’t want to let Victoire go. So ... Uncle Bill and Dad, perhaps.” She pulled a face. –Dad is a terrible dancer, but Uncle Bill is cool.”

–I can’t sneak off with you yet, then,” he said, and sighed plaintively.

Lily giggled as she twirled then wrapped her arms around his neck, snuggling closer despite the fast tempo of the song. She smelt of warm summer evenings, of honey and citrus, and fresh air currents as he rode the wind. And as she danced, her thighs brushing against his, he felt again a helpless longing to keep her there. Lily tilted her face up to him, peeping expectantly at him, but as he lowered his lips to hers, someone tapped him on the shoulder.

–One dance with my daughter, Scorpius. I think you can sit this one out.”

Lily groaned, but went willingly with Harry, giving Scorpius a small wave and a lilting grin. He wandered away from the dance floor, picking up his drink from the table and sidled over to where Albus and Ben were talking.

–I have keys,” he said as he approached. –Are you free anytime this week to look through the flat?”

Ben nodded. Informing Scorpius that he was also starting work on Monday, they arranged to meet after work at the shop to see what needed to be done with the flat. Albus listened to them both, saying nothing but drinking steadily as they discussed rent and pondered the size of the rooms.

–Two bedrooms, a small kitchen and a sitting room area,” he put in, and smiled. –George and Angelina lived there for a while, so I’ve been there a few times. It’s a cool flat, actually, but Angelina used to complain about the smell from Uncle George’s inventing room.”

–I lived with Vaisey for seven years, I think I can take it,” Scorpius said, grinning. His eyes drifted to Lily, chattering away to her dad and grimacing when he started to dance more energetically. Next to them, Rose was pulling a similar face and pushing Ron away, embarrassment flushing her cheeks.

–Dad-dancing,” Albus laughed. –Never fails to make me piss myself.”

–I think I’ll rescue her,” Ben said. –Catch you later.”

Scorpius raised his hand, and sipped his beer. Lily was now being swung around the dance floor by her uncle Charlie and looked to be enjoying herself, so he lounged against the marquee pole, and settled for watching her and a chat with Albus.

–Where’s Natalie?”

Albus swallowed some beer and grimaced. –We split up,” he muttered, then smiled ruefully. –Mutual, I suppose. I’m going abroad for six months; training and won’t be able to get back. She’s got school and she’s the new Quidditch captain, so ...” Sighing, he took another gulp, draining his glass. –Inevitable, really.”

Scorpius stared into the distance, watching Lily laughing up at Charlie. A blonde boy, of about her own age approached as the song finished, and started talking to her. Charlie let her go, and instead started to dance with a dark haired woman. Lily was smiling at the boy. He held his breath, waiting for her next action.

–Who’s that?” he asked, hoping he sounded casual.

Albus looked up and peered through the crowd. –Penelope. She’s Charlie’s girlfriend.”

–No, the boy talking to Lily.”

–Oh, one of Victoire’s cousins. His mother is Gabrielle, Aunt Fleur’s sister. Thierry, I think.” He smirked. –You’re not jealous, are you, Malfoy?”

Biting back a retort, Scorpius edged away, wondering what she would do next. His stomach plummeted when Thierry took her hand. Then, as she extricated herself, and shook her head, he felt an incredible sense of lightness envelop him. No longer smiling at Thierry, she walked away, searching the marquee, until her eyes met his.

He smiled at her and she scurried across to him. –I am exhausted,” she said, rolling her eyes. –And I really need to take these shoes off, so no more dancing for a while.”

–How about a drink and a walk instead?” Scorpius suggested.

She nodded, her eyes sparkling. –We can walk along the beach. It’s beautiful at sunset.”

–Fancy company?” Albus mocked. –I could serenade you, or keep a look out.”

–Get lost, Al,” Lily replied sweetly. –I’m sure there’s a Delacour relative that hasn’t turned you down yet. Why don’t you practise your French on one of them?”

Summoning half a bottle of champagne and two glasses, Scorpius slipped his hand in hers and stepped outside. It was a balmy night, the gentle breeze ruffling her hair as she walked ahead, leading Scorpius towards a set of steps hewn out of the cliff face. It was a short walk down to the beach, so he started to tell her about his dad’s unexpected gift and the dilemma over tryouts. When she reached the bottom steps, Lily kicked off her shoes and carried them in her left hand. As she turned to face him, he caught sight of something twinkling around her neck. Carefully he reached out his hand and with one finger lifted the fine chain, freeing its pendant from the constraints of her dress.

–The sun and the moon,” he murmured, surprised at how touched he was that she had chosen to wear it today.

–I would have had it on show, but Dominique said it didn’t suit the neckline.” She smiled up at him. –I don’t think I need to hide it anymore. Everyone knows we’re together.”

Pulling away, Scorpius poured two glasses of champagne and handed her one. She clinked his glass and took a sip of her drink, her nose crinkling when the bubbles fizzed on her tongue. –To no more sneaking around,” she murmured.

–I quite enjoyed the sneaking around,” Scorpius mused.

Lily said nothing but took his hand and started to walk along the beach, picking her way through the shale. –Where are you taking me?” he asked.

–You just said you missed sneaking around. So ...”

–Lead on, Apple-Queen.”

The sun was hovering low on the horizon, its edge slipping under the sea and turning the water a shimmering gold. In the half-light, Scorpius could see her smiling, a soft secret on her lips that spoke of the promise to come.

–We used to come here on holiday when I was very young,” she said as she led him over a seaweed- encrusted groyne stretching from the foreshore and down to the lapping waves. –And behind this rock is where I used to hide when James, Al and Louis were tormenting me.” She laughed suddenly and turned to face him. –They never found me.”

–Good,” he whispered.

Taking off his jacket, Scorpius spread it on the sand and gestured for her to sit. Then, as she sank to the ground, he sat behind her, enveloping her in his arms and resting his chin on her shoulder.

–I love you,” he whispered.

–Love you, too,” she whispered back and turned her face so her cheek brushed against his.

He kissed her then, luxuriating in the immediacy of her response, before trailing his lips to her neck. She arched into him, moaning as his hands slipped downwards, smoothing over her silk dress until he found the far softer skin of her inner thigh.

–How private?” he murmured.

–Very. Oh, Merlin -”

Chuckling, he lay back on the sand, groaning as her hands slipped to his waist to unbuckle his belt. His hands moved upwards until he reached her zip and he tugged, letting the top of her dress slither down. He gazed at her, delighting in the ecstasy on her face as he moulded one hand around her breast and teased her with his other. She was gasping now as he tantalised her, yet pulled away, still quivering with unspent desire, to sit astride him. Then, as her fingers danced lightly on his thighs and stomach, he stopped thinking about her seduction and allowed himself to be seduced.

–What would you like?” she whispered, bending over him, her fingers still tracing circles on his skin. But feeling her hot excited breath on his neck, Scorpius was incapable of coherent thought. He groaned and bucked into her, trying to hold on, but desperate for release.

–Lily, Lily, Lily,” he moaned.

–Oh God.” She collapsed, breathless.

And Scorpius held her close, feeling her heart pounding against his as both regained some semblance of reality. He stared up at the sky, noting that although the sun had almost set, the moon had appeared, both happy to shine in the same time and place.

His own breathing had returned to normal but in his arms, Lily was shuddering. He peered down at her, crooking his neck to get a better look. –Hey, what’s the matter?”

–Nothing,” she murmured, but he could hear a definite sob in her voice. She must have heard it too, because she curled up tight and allowed him to rock her.

–Tell me.”

–It’s all this,” she said. Then before he could interrupt, she sat, tugging at her dress and staring out to the sea. –All so perfect -”

He sat up and dropped a kiss on her shoulder. –You’re perfect. So what’s the problem?”

Taking a breath, Lily faced him and he saw a tear glistening on her lower lash. –For the first time in my life, I don’t want to go to school.”

–Why not? I thought you loved Hogwarts.”

–Because you won’t be there,” she admitted. She gulped for air and swallowed. –I’m so scared that this is over, that you’ll find someone new - especially if you become a Quidditch star. I mean why would you want to be tied to a stupid schoolgirl?”

In utter amazement, Scorpius opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out.

–It’s like Albus and Natalie. They’ve split up because he’s left. She’s really upset but says it’s for the best. And for all I know, she’s right, but I ... I ... can’t-” she sobbed. –Oh, Christ, I’m sorry. I don’t want to pressure you or make you feel guilty -”

–I’m not going to try out,” he blurted out. –I don’t know what difference it makes, anyway, unless you’re looking for a reason to dump me, but I want to be an Auror, Lily, not some flash git on a broom.” He reached for his wand, Summoned the bottle of champagne and took a swig before handing it to her. –Are you?”

–Am I what?”

–Looking for a reason to end this?” he queried. –Only ... I’m not your brother, and you’re not Natalie, so ...”

–I don’t want this to end,” she said, her voice soft, –but it will be so hard. I only have one Hogsmeade weekend a term, and you’ll meet new people... work with other girls.”

–You have a map and I know a house elf that can Apparate me anywhere.” She looked forlorn, his words not quite convincing her, so he smiled into her eyes and murmured, –I’ve been told a certain Seeker doesn’t have a replacement broom yet, and I have a Firebolt X which is going to be wasted on a lowly clerk. I wonder if she’d like to use it next year.”

–You mean it?”

He nodded.

–Oh, wow... I mean, yes, she’d love to use it. And ... everything else. You still want to carry this on?”

He stared at her, wondering how he could make this more plain. –I’ve got no interest in other girls. You saved me, Lily Luna Potter, as surely as if you had stopped me falling off my broom. I’m not giving up on us. Unless ...” He paused and licked his lips, hoping she knew how much this was costing him to put into words. –If this is too much for you, then I’ll leave.”

Lily cupped his face in her hands and kissed him fiercely, imbuing the act with every ounce of passion she possessed. –I watched you fall once, Scorpius, and I’m never letting that happen again.”



And when I see you
take the same sweet steps
you used to take
I know I'll keep on holding you
in arms so tight
they'll never, never let you go.
Chapter Endnotes: Thank you. If you have any questions, now is the time to ask them (in review form, of course - heh heh). I shall leave and sob into my pillow now that it's all over, but I hope to be back with a few spinoffs. ~Carole~
And... um ... apologies to Julia and Jess, but I can't resist the opportunity to have a dig at Dan's dancing.