Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

High by Equinox Chick

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
He was an old man in a bed. That was all. An old man with white hair “ not the platinum blonde sported by his son and grandson -- but white hair fanning messily on the pillow.

Scorpius’ grandmother fussed over her husband’s hair, continually brushing it so it didn’t tangle, whilst the old man resisted her ministrations.

Lucius Malfoy was still in St. Mungo’s. Scorpius had taken the Floo to his parent’s home shortly after Professor Zabini had told him the news, and together with his dad had arrived at the hospital. Draco had looked pale and drawn, terrified by what might await them, and had only been pacified at the news that the stroke, although serious, was not life threatening.

“He will recover,” the Healer informed the family in solemn tones, “but his quality of life will be impaired.”

Narcissa had stifled a sob and then returned to her husband’s bedside, once again reaching for the hairbrush to tease out the knots in his silken hair.

Scorpius watched in fascination. His grandparents, although doting towards him, had always seemed a distant couple. He rarely saw anything he’d term affection between the pair of them. He had imagined them cold, bound together by a past and convention, not at all like his parents whom, to Scorpius’ disgust, frequently kissed in front of him.

“Is Mum coming?” he asked in a whisper.

Draco shook his head. “Not today. We didn’t know how bad things were and her presence ...” He gave Scorpius a lopsided grin. “Put it this way, if your granddad needs to be kept calm, having your mother in the room is not going to facilitate that.”

“Might pull him back,” Scorpius replied. “Granddad loves crossing wands with her.”

Draco started to chuckle. “Very true. I’ll bring her with me tomorrow.” Then he stopped smiling, watching his mother as she continued to stare at her husband. “Thank you for coming, Scorpius. It has helped your grandma, at least, even if he didn’t remember your name.”

Scorpius shrugged. “I think he was trying to say ‘Draco’.”

“Perhaps.” He sighed and then with his left hand steered Scorpius to the side of the room. “I’m going to stay here tonight, but I think you’d be better off returning to school. You can see he’s in no immediate danger.”

Scorpius nodded, pleased he was being given the chance to escape the cloying atmosphere of the private hospital room. “You will let me know if anything changes.”

“Of course. Now, go and say goodbye to your granddad and give your grandma a kiss. She needs you, Scorpius, far more than he.”

***



He was pleased to be a Slytherin that night. As he sat in the common room, it struck him how much he loved the normality there. No one was overly sympathetic, instead keeping a respectful distance. Flint had inquired after his grandfather, and Scorpius had replied that he was expected to recover. Not another word was spoken about Lucius Malfoy, but he knew from the way they attempted to engage him in small talk, that they were trying to make him feel better.

He wondered what it would be like in the other Houses. Would the Ravenclaws start suggesting medical cures? If he’d been a Hufflepuff, he was sure they’d have smothered him with sickly sympathy. And Gryffindor ... Would they have felt awkward like the Slytherins in the face of near-death, or would they have tried to jolly him out of his brooding?

Shit, I was supposed to meet Lily, he thought, wondering if he should try to seek her out now. But, glancing at his pocket watch, he saw it was gone ten and she would not still be in the kitchens. He would have to wait until tomorrow. Maybe he could corner her after breakfast and explain. Surely, she wouldn’t be angry if he could explain.

It was, he knew, a relationship that seemed to thrive on misunderstandings, and he wondered if he’d tire of the twists and turns. Earlier today, he’d been high on the delicious deceit of a secret assignation, now he was downcast. He wanted to see her, to feel her lips against his, and let her brand of sunshine lift the dark clouds from his mind, but it was late and he needed sleep.

“Scorpius,” Ariadne murmured, and squeezed his hand. “I am sorry about your grandfather. If there’s anything I can do.”

Touched by her words, Scorpius accepted the kiss she dropped on his cheek, and muttered his thanks. But he was puzzled. Why would Ariadne be so sympathetic? His eyes scanned the room. They were the only two left here; he must have been brooding for longer than he thought.

“Where’s Vaisey?” he asked warily, not liking the predatory gleam in her eyes.

“Went up ages ago,” she replied, rolling her eyes. She sat on the arm of his chair and leant in towards him. “I mean it. If there’s anything I can do to make this better for you.”

Feeling her hand tracing patterns on his thigh, he closed his eyes. Merlin, it felt good. Ariadne knew exactly how to get him going. And this would be so easy except ...

He caught a whiff of her perfume, clogging up his senses and opened his eyes, the spell broken. She was staring down at him, a small secret smile on her face.

Scorpius removed her hand from his thigh and stood up. “I don’t think your boyfriend would be that pleased with you,” he drawled, pleased his voice sounded so steady.

“Johnson is boring,” she said, pouting. “And we were good together, Scorpy.”

He shuddered. “Ancient history, Ariadne, and I don’t want a repeat.”

Then, striding towards the door, he walked down the stone steps to his dormitory, Ariadne’s indignant squawks ringing in his ears. Despite his apparent nonchalance, her come-on bothered him. Ariadne was a calculating witch, it was one of the reasons he’d originally hooked up with her, and she would not have made a move unless it was part of a wider plan.

***


He did not have to seek out Lily the next morning. She was dawdling by the entrance to the dungeons, apparently examining a suit of armour when he appeared for breakfast. The others from his dormitory had let him sleep in (probably from awkwardness rather than compassion), so he was alone as he loped up the steps to the Entrance Hall. He faltered when he saw her, rehearsing his story in his head.

“Lily ... about last night -” he began.

“It’s okay,” she whispered. “Mrs Zabini told me. I’m so sorry.”

“Mrs Zabini?” He frowned slightly and then, taking her hand, pulled her behind the suit of armour.

“She saw me in the kitchens,” Lily whispered, “but it’s all right; she isn’t going to tell anyone. We shared some cheesecake and then she told me about your granddad.” She bit her lower lip and squeezed his hand. “Are you okay?”

She’d asked after him, but not his granddad. Should he have been surprised or annoyed? She didn’t know the man, after all, but probably towed the same line as the rest of her family. Lucius Malfoy was a Death Eater who’d never served time. The wizarding world had long memories for injustice.

“I’m fine,” he muttered, adding, “Granddad’s in St.Mungo’s. Look, Lily, we can’t talk here, and I’m really hungry so ...”

She smiled up at him. “Kitchens?” she suggested.

“Yeah,” he agreed, and smiled back. “Except ... I know where they are, but not how to get in.”

“Tickle the pear,” she whispered as she slipped away from him. “I’ll see you in ten minutes.”

He had no idea what she was talking about, until he saw the painting on the wall. Glancing around, still wondering if this was some elaborate practical joke, he tentatively tickled the pear with his fingertips. He heard a creak, and then the chatter of busy house-elves as a door swung open.

The ones nearest the door, looked at him, and then bowed their heads respectfully before carrying on with their work. He grinned. This was like being surrounded by lots of Truckles, except she would be far more likely to scold him if he pinched any food. Skirting around them, he sauntered towards a small trestle table in the corner, where he could see toast racks filled with slices of hot buttered toast, waiting to be magicked upstairs to the Great Hall.

“Merlin, Scorpius, what are you doing here?”

He looked over to the other side of the table to see Lavender sitting on a stool, a large plate of food in front of her.

“Uhm, I could ask you the same thing, Mrs Zabini. Shouldn’t you be eating in the Great Hall with the professor?”

She snorted. “He ate early because he needs to prepare for his lessons, and I’m not the most popular dining companion at the moment.”

Bemused, he looked at her plate, and then understood why she was grinning.

“Pickled onions for breakfast ... that’s ... um ... unusual.”

“Especially with maple syrup,” she said, and sighed dreamily. “Anyway, why are you here? Breakfast is still going on, isn’t it? Or ... Oh, sorry, do you not want to be with other people at the moment?”

Her face had fallen and she shifted awkwardly in her chair, then, taking a deep breath, continued, “If you need to talk to anyone about ... um ... things, Scorpius, then you can talk to me.”

He studied her for a moment while he tried to think what to say. “You don’t have to offer just because you’re married to the Slytherin Head of House, Mrs Zabini,” he muttered, aware he probably sounded both rude and ungrateful.

“Oh ... I’m ... uh ... not,” she replied flushing. Then she grinned sheepishly. “Okay, perhaps I am, but I am here if you need anything. I’m not planning on rushing off anytime soon.”

Pulling up a stool, he sat opposite her, and started to eat some toast. A house-elf came scurrying up to him carrying a plate and a selection of jams. He waved her away, preferring his toast plain today. “Have you even met my granddad, Mrs Zabini?”

“Mmm,” she replied. “I tried to interview him after his trial. I was a rookie reporter.” She smiled sardonically. “He had me thrown out of Malfoy Manor when I dared to ask your grandmother questions. He’d agreed to speak to me, but I wasn’t supposed to ‘harass’ his wife.” She paused. “Not that your grandmother was saying anything anyway. She is a very tough lady.”

“Granddad’s tough, too,” he replied. “Oh, and he’s okay, by the way. The Healers think he’ll make a reasonable recovery.”

Perhaps hearing his rebuke, Lavender took a sip from a steaming mug of liquid and then bit into another pickled onion. “That’s good to know,” she murmured, but wouldn’t look at him.

“You don’t have to pretend for my sake, Mrs Zabini. I know he’s still hated, although I don’t really understand why. He didn’t fight at the Battle, and Mr Potter gave evidence for him at his trial, so why can’t people forgive him?”

She laughed bitterly. “The innocence of youth! Really, Scorpius, I would have thought even a Malfoy would understand that some things cannot be forgiven by merely donating money to good causes.” Then, pushing her plate to one side, she stood up. “I’ve lost my appetite, and I think you have a visitor.”

He looked over his shoulder and smiled when he saw Lily hovering by the doorway. Turning back to Lavender, he touched her on the wrist as she walked past. “It’s not fair to judge me by my family, Mrs Zabini,” he hissed.

Lavender smiled, a touch sadly, “I know that, Scorpius, and I don’t, but you might find some other people do.”

“Like Mrs Potter?” he guessed, remembering the conversation he’d overheard.

“Precisely,” she muttered. She touched him on the arm, and gave it a squeeze. “Just don’t be surprised if this causes ructions. I think you’ll be able to handle it, but Lily ...” She stopped speaking and with a bright smile fixed on her face, headed towards the door. “I haven’t seen either of you,” she called back. “I just hope you’re not bunking off Potions.”

Lily smiled as she sat down in Lavender’s vacated chair, then pulled a face when she saw the plate of pickled onions. “Urgh, she was eating cheesecake with gherkins last night. Must be such an odd feeling, wanting to eat that type of thing.”

“Huh?” Scorpius stared at the plate, and then at the kitchen door still swinging on its hinges. “What are you on about?”

“Mrs Zabini,” Lily said incredulously. “She’s having a baby. Don’t you know?”

“Uh, no.” Scorpius raised his eyebrows. “Professor Zabini doesn’t exactly share details about his private life. Explains why she’s moved in, though. How did you know?”

Lily giggled and helped herself to some of his toast. “She told me last night. Or rather I guessed when I saw the gherkins.” She took a bite and munched for a while. “I remember when my godmother was pregnant. She couldn’t stop eating cockroach clusters dipped in sour cream. Of course, everyone thought it was just her “ she is a bit odd, you see “ but then she announced she was pregnant with twins and so it all made sense.”

“Who’s your godmother?” he asked idly, enjoying the chitchat and the way her eyes sparkled when she remembered something amusing.

“Luna Scamander,” she replied. “The naturalist. I’m named after her “ well, I’m middle-named after her, to be exact.”

He grinned. “Your middle name’s Luna?”

“Yes. What’s so funny about that?” she huffed.

“Nothing,” he reassured her. “Only my middle name is Hyperion. We must be destined to fly high.”

“Mmm, but not together,” she said, sighing dramatically. “The sun and moon are destined to be enemies.”

“Bollocks,” he replied. “They have a lot in common.”

Lily finished her piece of toast and reached for a water jug. He could see her pausing as she poured herself a goblet, as if she was trying to think what to say next. Then she licked her lips and took a breath. “How’s your granddad?”

“Fine,” Scorpius replied abruptly, then seeing her bite her lip, he softened his tone. “Thank you for asking. He’s had a stroke, but is expected to live.”

“Good,” she replied, and smiled tentatively.

“You don’t have to pretend you’re pleased. I know no one likes him.”

Slowly she reached across the table and touched his hand. “He’s your granddad. I know how awful I’d feel if it were mine.”

It was the simplicity that affected him. She wasn’t pretending to be upset for Lucius, her concern was all for him and it was heartfelt.

“Thank you,” he muttered, and edging round on his stool to her side of the table, he leant across and kissed her. She responded instantly, raising both hands to his shoulders, warm and keeping her eyes closed “ so unlike the calculation shown by Ariadne.

“Have you got any free time today?” she asked when they finally broke apart. “Only, since I gave up Care of Magical Creatures, I have the afternoon off.”

He thought about the Transfiguration essay that needed finishing, and the Potions revision he should be starting for that test next week, but she was more enticing than spending an afternoon with his books.

“What do you have in mind?” he murmured, pulling her off her stool towards him.

She smiled her delicious smile as she leant in close. “Well, I suppose flying’s out of the question, but we could always go back to the Astronomy Tower?”

He pulled a face and tried to wrench her back for another snog. “Last time we went there, your bloody brother discovered us, and I still don’t know how he managed that.”

“Don’t worry about Al,” she replied as she stepped away from him. “He won’t be able to find us this time.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Because he’s not the only one who knows how to use a certain map,” she replied, and then laughing at Scorpius’ utter incomprehension, she scuttled out of the door.



***


“This map is brilliant,” he gasped, later that afternoon. “Pure gold! Merlin, Lily, how on earth did you get hold of this?”

Lily giggled and draped her hands around him. Scorpius spread the map out on the desk in front of them and studied it carefully. Astounded, he watched as tiny dots moved around the castle, groups walking together then stopping as they reached their classrooms. “What is Vaisey doing there?” he muttered as he watched Johnson approach the Divination classroom on the ground floor. Another dot, moving swiftly, joined his Quidditch captain. Scorpius grinned. “Naughty-naughty, Ariadne. Bunking off Arithmancy just for a shag.”

“How do you know?” Lily asked. As soon as the words left her mouth, he felt her body stiffen when she realised exactly how he knew what Ariadne and Vaisey were doing.

He folded the map up, and turned around, holding her close but doing nothing more. After a momentary pause, she kissed him on the cheek and then smiled.

“It’s called the Marauder’s Map,” she said, her voice slightly shaky. “My granddad and his friends created it when they were at Hogwarts.” Then she beamed at him, her eyes bright. “It’s brilliant, isn’t it? They must have been so clever.”

“Who were they?”

She reached for the map and turned it over, pointing out the names. “Moony “ that was Remus Lupin “”

“Teddy’s dad, yeah?”

She nodded. “Wormtail “ Urgh Peter Pettigrew! He’s the one we never talk about.” She pulled a face. “Padfoot “ that was Sirius Black, James has his middle name. He was Dad’s godfather, and was locked up in Azkaban for “”

Scorpius laughed. “I do know who Sirius Black is. He’s one of my relations, too. My Grandma’s cousin. I’m his ... um...” He thought over the relationships, trying to remember the Black family tree he’d found one day in the study at Malfoy Manor. “Cousin twice-removed, I think. So Prongs was James Potter.”

Lily nodded. “This only works for Hogwarts. Which is a shame because I’d love one to work at home. That way I could see exactly what my brothers are up to.”

He heard the waspishness in her voice, and pulled her very close. “Why don’t you, then?”

“Because I’m thicker than Thestral dung!” she retorted.

“Rubbish,” he soothed, and began to kiss her.

Lily ducked her head. “Is Ariadne clever?” she mumbled.

“Reasonably,” he replied, trying to get to her neck. She didn’t exactly flinch, but didn’t snuggle closer. Scorpius frowned. “Why are we talking about her?”

She shrugged and said nothing, but was half-hearted in her kisses. Sighing, Scorpius pulled away. “What’s up? Come on, tell me, Lily.”

She sniffled a little bit and then walked to the window, brushing past one of the telescopes as she sat on the ledge. Scorpius stayed where he was, sensing that she needed time to gather her thoughts.

“She’s very beautiful,” she said dully. “And clever, and “” She swallowed and shook her head, no longer able to speak.

At that small movement, he crossed the floor and cupping her face softly in her hands, he kissed her very softly on the lips. “I’m not with her. I was, but I’m not now. She might look good, but she’s bloody annoying.” As she looked away, he tried to catch her eye. “Lily, she means bugger all to me,” he protested. “I didn’t even like her that much when we were together. It was only because she was a reasonably good shag “”

He could have hexed his tongue off as soon as he’d blurted out the words. Lily flinched and wrenched herself away, this time knocking the telescope over and sending it crashing to the ground.

“It doesn’t mean anything,” he insisted. “I’m not going to go back out with her. She tried it on last night, for Merlin’s sake, and I told her to get lost.”

“Did you?” Lily knelt on the floor and picked up the telescope, letting her hair fall forward over her face.

Bending down, Scorpius helped her with the telescope, casting a quick Repairing Charm on the shattered lens. “You can’t be jealous of her, Lily. If I’d had to hear her call me ‘Scorpy’ one more time, I’d have hexed her gob shut. She’s ... vile.

She started giggling. “That’s not very gentlemanly.”

He raised his hand to her face and swept back her hair. “I’m not a bloody Hufflepuff. I don’t feel as if I have to be nice to everyone.” Then he shuffled across the floor to her. “You know I finished with her. So why are you bothered? It’s the past and I can’t change that.”

There was still something worrying her, but he didn’t want to prolong this conversation, not when they didn’t have much longer together.

“Hogsmeade weekend in a fortnight,” he murmured as he pulled her onto his lap. “Can I take you ... or at least meet you for part of it?”

“Um, very difficult,” she replied, sounding awkward.

“Not even for an hour?” he persisted. “Look, Lily, I know you don’t want people to know about us. I understand, but it’s a bit annoying if you can’t even sneak away for a while. I mean, will they be watching you all the time?”

“Uh ... no ... not normally. It’s just that it’s my ... uh ... birthday.” She smiled apologetically and tousled his hair. “I’d love to spend it with you, but I’m sort of expected to be at my own party.” She sighed and cuddled up to him. “Rose has been planning it for ages. Lunch at Madam Puddifoot’s, in her back room, and then drinks at the Three Broomsticks. Sorry, I really can’t sneak away.”

“Yeah, sure,” he replied tetchily. Lily pouted at him, exaggerating her expression and looking sorrowful, until he started laughing. “How about I meet up with you on the Sunday?” She looked indecisive. “Friday evening, then? Come on. Lily, I do have to give you your present.”

“You’ve got me something?”

“Of course,” he lied, and kissed her before she could ask any more questions. He had two weeks, he was sure to think of something.

***


A week later, having gone through list after list of possible presents, Scorpius was at his wit’s end. Chocolates were unoriginal, as were flowers. He had no idea what books she liked, but had a feeling she would not be into the same stuff as him (complex thrillers set in the underbelly of Auror life). Perfume ...possibly? Then he remembered his mum complaining about a bottle his dad had given her for Christmas.

“Never ever buy a girl perfume,” she’d muttered in an aside, “unless you know what they like.”

Scorpius grinned. His mum had professed herself delighted with the perfume and sprayed it on liberally until everyone’s eyes had watered. His dad had not made the same mistake again.

Earrings? But did she have pierced ears, and what did she like? Ariadne liked expensive, but classy jewellery. It didn’t have to be the biggest bauble, but it had to be noticeable. Would Lily want that? Wouldn’t it be awkward if she had to explain who had given her the gift?

Something not noticeable, then. A gift that she could hide or dispose of.

Oh bugger, he was back to chocolates again.

He needed help.

“Uhm, Mrs Zabini ...”

Lavender looked up when she saw Scorpius waiting by the door. “The Professor’s in class, but shouldn’t be long,” she said absently and returned to the magazine she was reading. “You can wait if you want.”

Now that he looked at her properly, he could see Lavender was pregnant, her stomach softly rounded against the fabric of her dress. Aware he was staring, and that had caught her attention, he snapped his eyes away.

“Yes, it’s a baby, Scorpius,” she said and started giggling at his discomfort. “I thought you’d find out soon.”

“Er ... yes ... Lily did mention it.” He paused, wondering if now was a good time. “Um, Mrs Zabini, can I talk to you? It’s about Lily, actually.”

“Oh good Godric, you haven’t knocked her up, have you?”

“No, NO!” he yelped, then scowled because Lavender was laughing openly now.

“I’m teasing!” she called out as he stepped back out of the professor’s study. “Scorpius, come back.”

He hesitated. Part of him did not want to speak to her “ she was so infuriating at times “ but he had to get some advice, or Lily would end up with flowers. Remembering how she’d slapped him round the face with the daffodils, he turned back.

“It’s Lily’s birthday next week,” he mumbled. “I don’t know what to get her.”

“OOH, interesting,” Lavender replied. She put down her magazine, and with a flick of her wand, pulled a chair further towards her. “I love buying presents.”

“Good,” he said, relieved. “Because I have no bloody idea. Everything I think of sounds naff, or dull.”

“Jewellery,” she replied. “You really can’t go wrong with that ... unless,” she shuddered, “you make the mistake of buying something that spells out ‘My Sweetheart’.”

“Mrs Zabini, I maybe clueless, but I’m not dumb.” He groaned. “I thought of jewellery, but someone will ask her where she got it from.”

“Make it subtle,” she whispered. “A fine chain with a small pendant. Something she can slip under her robe without anyone seeing. And make the pendant something special, something that means something to the pair of you.”

He sat back in the chair, thinking hard. An idea was sparking in his brain.

***


“Where are we going?” Lily whispered.

Hearing heavy footsteps plodding up the path, Scorpius took her hand and tugged her to one side. Hiding behind one of the stone pillars in the courtyard, he held her close as both watched Hagrid on his way to the Great Hall. He could feel Lily’s heart beating fast against his, then, just as he thought she was going to flee back into the castle, she started to giggle.

“Hush,” he whispered as he began to shake with laughter, too. Then, once he was sure Hagrid had gone, he grabbed her hand again and ran across the courtyard.

“Where are we going?” she asked again, her voice excited.

“Wait and see,” he replied and grinned at her.

On they ran, slowing only slightly when he heard her gasping for breath. “Nearly there,” he whispered. “I just know we haven’t got long.”

“The Quidditch pitch!” she exclaimed. “We can’t fly in the dark, and if we use torches they’ll see us from the castle.”

“Lily,” he groaned, “not everything is about Quidditch. I’m more interested in somewhere undercover, so we don’t freeze our arses off.”

It took a matter of minutes for them to reach the changing rooms and seconds for Scorpius to break into one of them, but then he had spent the afternoon there.

“Oh wow!” Lily sighed as she looked around the room.

Scorpius smiled at her obvious enjoyment. Unlocking the locker doors, he’d pulled out some Slytherin colours and draped them on the robe hooks so they hung to the floor like curtains. On the floor, he’d spread a large Gryffindor flag and placed a small parcel on the lion’s paw.

“Happy Birthday,” he muttered, now nervous in case she thought his gift was naff.

Ariadne would have been disappointed and probably shown her feelings, but Lily, when she pulled the gold ribbon and tore at the green wrapping paper, turned her face towards him and gasped in pleasure.

“It’s a Snitch!”

“Um, sort of,” he said, adoring the way her eyes sparkled when she was happy. Pulling her down to the floor, he took it from her. “It’s not a real Snitch, but, if you press it here,” he fiddled along the seam of the golden ball, until it burst open.

“What’s this?” she asked, in awe, as she pulled out a thin, gold chain.

“I know you might not want to wear it, but I thought you could tuck it inside your robe, or keep it in the Snitch.” He took the chain from her, undid the delicate clasp and slipped it around her neck.

She stared down at the two charms. “The sun and the moon,” she whispered, and as she turned around, he saw her eyes were wet with tears. “This is so beautiful. No one’s ever got me anything quite so pretty.”

“Really? What do you usually get?” he asked as he wound his arms around her.

“Um, Quidditch things from Mum and Dad, books from Aunt Hermione, James and Al buy sweets, or Weasley products, Grandma knits me hats ... the usual stuff,” she stopped speaking and gazed at the necklace again, seemingly overcome. “I’ve never ...”

She kissed him, wrapping her arms around him and pulling him to her. Soon they were lying on the makeshift rug, limbs entwined. Earlier he’d felt her heart beat, fast and fluttering; now he could feel it thudding under his hand. She didn’t resist when he slipped his hand under her robe, and then under the shirt, to encounter first her smooth skin and then the scratchy lace of her bra. His mouth left hers, beginning its journey downwards, slowly mazing across her neck until, as he slipped down her bra strap, his tongue found her breast.

She didn’t stiffen, pull away, or show any sign of resistance; she was pliant with his hands, sighing softly as his hand slipped further down. He shifted his weight to his side, wondering if this was really about to happen. She’d never let him get this far before, always stopped him, but there was something almost resolute in the way she was letting him carry on.

But when his fingers brushed against the soft smooth skin of her thigh, her eyes flew open. They locked looks. He saw something flicker across her face, something like nerves or fear or maybe indecision, but then with a small moan, she closed her eyes, the permission tacit.

He continued, delighting in the minute reactions of her body as his mouth explored further. But as his chin grazed against the hollow of her stomach, she froze.

“Lily,” he whispered, “are you sure about this?”

She nodded, saying nothing.

Deciding it was just nerves, Scorpius kissed her on the mouth. She responded ardently, her hands in his hair. She seemed as eager as he, and yet ...

Unsure he could continue but unwilling to stop, with trepidation, Scorpius returned to nuzzling her stomach, his tongue slipping downwards. She gasped, but then, her hands moved downwards, pushing him off.

“I’m sorry,” she mumbled, a sob catching in her throat. “I thought I could do this, but I can’t.”

Thwarted, he jerked away and lay on his back staring at the drapes of silver and green, the snake on the flag mocking him. He heard a rustling and knew without looking, that she’d pulled her clothes straight and was sitting up.

“I’m sorry,” she repeated. “Are you angry with me?”

“ Yes ... No. I mean ... not really. Just ...” He groaned. “For fuck’s sake, Lily. Just tell me you’re not ready.”

He heard a stifled sob; feeling guilty, he stretched out his hand and touched her lightly in the arm. “I was bloody close to not being able to stop, okay.”

“Sorry,” she said again. “I thought it was what you wanted. Natalie said “ ” She broke off, biting her lip.

“Natalie said what?” he asked, his voice dangerously low.

“Er ... well, she knows about us, you see,” Lily replied as she let her long hair curtain her face. “I needed to talk to someone, and she’s promised not to tell anyone and “”

“Yes, fine,” he snapped. “You needed to talk to her. But what did she say?”

“Er ...” She turned slightly towards him, not meeting his eyes. He didn’t speak, unrelenting in his wish for her to continue. “Natalie said that you’d lose interest if I didn’t ... um ... well, you know.” She took a deep breath and then looked at him directly. “She also said that she didn’t think you’d stick around once you’d got your way, so ... uhm, well, that’s it really.”

“Well, that’s great, bloody great, Lily,” he retorted. “Basically, I’m such a fucking shit that I’m going to dump you if you don’t shag me and dump you if you do.” Angrily, he shrugged her hand away. “Great opinion you have of me.”

“I wanted to prove her wrong,” Lily said forlornly. “Please, Scorpius, I’m sorry.”

He let her put her arms around him, and when she tilted his chin up, he allowed her to kiss him. He planned to remain unyielding, but the scent of her skin, and the sweetness of her lips led to his capitulation.

“If we finish, Lily,” he said at last, smoothing her hair back from her brow, “it’s not going to be because we do or don’t have sex, okay? And while I fancy you rotten and can’t think of anyone I’d rather be shagging, I’m not so much of a bastard that I’m going to force you into it.”

“I don’t think you’re a bastard,” she whispered. “And I love your gift.”

“Do you want to go back?” he murmured as he gathered her close to him.

“Not yet,” she said, glancing around their makeshift room. “I like being here. It’s our own world.”