Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Head Boy? by Radcliffefan07

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

This story was originally written as a drabble for Terri's MWPP class of '09. It was lost in my computer until now, so I've decided to submit it. Happy reading!


I'd like to say thank you to my favourite Professor, Terri (mudbloodproud).
-Ash
James Potter sat quietly in the Headmaster’s office, wondering what on earth he’d done to get into trouble on the first day of term. If anything, the prank he and Sirius had pulled on the train was minor at best, and didn’t call for him to miss the beginning of the feast, and why wasn’t Sirius here too? He had been as much a part of the prank as James.

“I’ve really done it this time,” James muttered to himself, “first bloody day back and I’m already going to have detention. Remus will be thrilled.” James smirked a little, thinking of Remus. He had warned them beforehand that it was a bad idea. “Too late now,” James said to himself, shaking his head.

James spun around in his chair as the door creaked open. Professor Dumbledore walked in, with a hint of a smile playing on his face.

“Do you know why I’ve asked you here, James?”

“No, sir,” James said coyly, as he tried to hide his smirk.

“I assure you, as entertaining as your prank on Severus was, that’s not why you’re here,” Dumbledore said, with a knowing look. “As a matter of fact, I think you’ll be quite surprised as to the nature of this meeting.”

Oh no, James thought, I’ve failed my astronomy final.

“What is it, sir?”

“You probably hadn’t noticed, but we have yet to choose a Head Boy for this term.”

“No, sir. I hadn’t noticed.”

“That is because, after much careful consideration, I have decided to appoint you Head Boy.”

“Me?” James asked, looking slightly stunned, “but, Remus is prefect, and I…”

“James, I really think that you’re the best man for the job. You’ve done quite well in your time here.”

“I wondered why Remus wasn’t showing off his new badge. He would have been thrilled.”

“You’ll have a lot of responsibility, James. I want to be sure that you’re ready for it,” Dumbledore said, handing James his badge.

“I’ll do my best, sir,” James replied, pinning the badge to his chest and beaming.

“I’ll want a meeting with you and the Head Girl after you’ve escorted the first years back to Gryffindor Tower. The password is Godric. I’ll see you after the feast.”

“But, sir, who-”

“We’ll have plenty of time for questions later, James. Best be off. You wouldn’t want to miss the Treacle Tart.”

James left the Headmasters office with two questions swirling in his mind. First, he wanted to know who had been made Head Girl, and second, he was still wondering why Dumbledore chose him of all people to be Head Boy.

He entered the Great Hall and found his friends in the middle of the Gryffindor table. Boy did he have a story for them. They’d never believe that not only had he managed to not get in trouble for the prank on the train, but he had been made Head Boy.

He glanced apologetically at Remus as he sat down, and Remus shot him a quizzical look from the other side of the table. James made the mistake of glancing at his badge, and Sirius noticed immediately.

“No way!” Sirius practically shouted eying the badge on his best mate’s chest. “I thought you were going to get a detention. Our little James is all grown up and responsible.” Sirius smirked at James and burst out laughing.

“Shut it, Sirius. I wasn’t expecting this anymore than you were, and to be honest, I still don’t have the slightest idea why Dumbledore chose me of all people. Remus is obviously much more suited for it. He’s already got a badge as it is.”

“You’ll be perfectly capable, James. Don’t worry. It’s really not as hard as you think it is,” Remus said calmly. “You must have done something to earn it, though I can’t imagine what that might be.” Remus chuckled to himself and looked at Peter, who had joined in the laughing as well.

“I never would have guessed that that’s what Dumbledore wanted to see you for, James, but congratulations anyway. I guess we’ll have to watch our step around you now,” Peter said, causing Sirius to laugh harder.

James wasn’t exactly used to being the butt of the joke, but after realising that they were only joking, joined in the laughter. He had grown more responsible, and deflated his head a bit since last year. He was confident in his ability to do a good job as Head Boy, or at least make it look like he was doing a good job.

“In all seriousness, James, congratulations. It looks like we’re going to be working together a lot more now,” Remus said once the laughter died down.

“Thanks, Remus.”

When the feast ended James nearly forgot that he was supposed to be leading the first years to the dormitory, and only sprang out of his seat when Remus reminded him. The two of them walked to the head of the Gryffindor table and called for the first years to follow them. As they walked to the Common Room, James wondered where Lily was. She was a prefect after all, and she should be with them.

He let the thought leave his mind as they approached the portrait of the Fat Lady. The first years all looked anxious and James turned to face them.

“This is the Gryffindor portrait hole. The password for this term is Godric.” The Fat Lady nodded and swung open to reveal the entrance to the Common Room. James continued the speech that he remembered from his first year. “Welcome to the Common Room. The dormitories are up stairs, boys on the left and girls on the right. Now, boys, just a warning: the girls’ staircase is enchanted so don’t waste your time trying to get up there.” James gave them a small smile, and Remus shot him a look that made them both start to laugh.

Sirius had found that out for himself in their fourth year, and the memory of him sliding back down flat on his back was quite entertaining. They composed themselves and told the first years to get to bed. James said goodbye to Remus and headed for the Headmaster’s office.

James was met by another surprise when he entered the Headmaster’s office. Sitting in the chair that he had occupied earlier that evening, was none other than Lily Evans. That explained why she wasn’t with them when they escorted the first years. It wasn’t like her to skip out on her prefect duties. She looked from Dumbledore to James, with a look nearing amusement on her face.

“Professor, you can’t be serious…”

“Ah, but I am Lily. The two of you will work well together I’m sure,” Dumbledore replied. “Apparently I don’t have to tell you why you’re both here. You seemed to deduce that on your own.”

“You made Head Girl, Lily? Congratulations,” James said sincerely, “I didn’t think anyone else would have gotten it. It’s me that I’m surprised about. I really thought Remus would have gotten it.”

Lily seemed slightly shocked by James’s lack of arrogance. Maybe he had really grown up a bit. She sighed to herself and glanced back at Dumbledore. “Thanks, James. You too.”

“Good, now the two of you are going to have to work together. Plan out the patrol schedules for the prefects and let them know at the next prefect meeting. Tonight the two of you will be patrolling together. You can start discussing plans then. Best be off now.”

James couldn’t help but smile to himself as the two of them left Dumbledore’s office together. Maybe this year wouldn’t turn out so bad after all.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading! =)