Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A New Group by wannabefictionwriter_13

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

I'm aware of the canon that Neville and Hannah Abbott were married, but I prefered my own. :)
Chapter Notes: This chapter is about Rose and Albus' first journey to Hogwarts on the Express, where they meet vague Jenna Longbottom.
Rose Weasley sat cross-legged on her window seat, staring upward at the glinting stars. Her Standard Book of Spells, Volume I was perched on her lap, as she was doing some last minute studying. The day was August 31st, and the clock on her nightstand read 10:49 pm. Tomorrow, she would board the Hogwart's Express for the first time, as she had turned eleven 18 days ago. Her first term at Hogwarts began tomorrow, and she was excited, but quite nervous. Her curly red hair was draped over her shoulders, swinging slightly as she swayed slowly.

“Rose...” said a female voice from her doorway, and she whipped her head around to see her mother standing there. “You ought to be in bed, and you know it.” Hermione smiled at her daughter sadly as she walked over to her.

“Sorry Mum...” Rose mumbled, clicking the book shut. “I was just doing a bit of studying.”

“You know, your dad reckons you're more like me thank either of us care to admit,” Hermione said, sitting beside her on the seat. “I spent my last days before each term cramming, locked in my room. Your dad and Uncle Harry used to tease me endlessly about my studying habits; lucky they had me though, or they never would have passed their exams. Any of them.” Rose grinned, tucking her hair behind her ear.

“I've heard stories,” she giggled. “Uncle said that you spent ninety percent of each term in the library.”

Hermione grinned sheepishly. “Sadly the truth.” She ruffled Rose's hair. “I'm sure you'll understand why I did once your classes start.”

Rose gulped. “Are they that hard?”

“Well, if you inherited anything from me, you'll be fine,” Hermione reassured her. “I was always top of my class.” She got to her feet. “And now, Missy, you need to get your tush in bed. We're leaving for King's Cross at six.” Rose groaned and pushed herself off the seat.

“I'll be ready, Mum...” she grumbled. Hermione kissed her on the forehead and walked out of the room, clicking the door shut quietly behind her.

Rose got dejectedly into her fluffy bed, kicking off her white bunny slippers. She sighed as she stared at her ceiling and let her eyes close.

~

The late morning light shone on the little family as they hurried into the station, the red-haired man lugging a large trunk and a massive cage.

“C'mon, Rosie, keep up!” Ron chided his daughter as they raced through the packed train station. “The express leaves in ten minutes!” The family paused briefly beside the barrier between platforms 9 and 10 before plunging through at a run, Rose gaping in awe at the magic of the barrier. They appeared on Platform 9 and ¾, the sounds of parents yelling their goodbyes, owls screeching, and younger children crying (“Why can't I go this year?!”).

The family of four “ Rose, Hermione, Ron, and Hugo, their youngest boy “ pulled Rose's belongings to the luggage area, leaving the girl with only her carry-on bag that held her robes and a few snacks for the trip, along with some money for the candy cart.

“Have an amazing term, darling,” Hermione said, kissing her daughter on the cheek. “Have you got everything?”

“Yes, Mum,” Rose groaned good-naturedly, smiling as she hugged her mother.

Her father grabbed her next, hugging his daughter proudly. “You'd better be in Gryffindor. And remember, don't make too nice with any of the Slytherins; nasty bunch. And definitely do not befriend Scorpius, Draco's son.” The family all turned to look over their shoulders to where Draco stood with his wife and son, balding slightly. His son's coat was buttoned up to his chin. “Oh, there they are.”

Another group of wizards walked up to them, looking slightly worn.

“Make it okay then?” Harry asked Ron and Hermione, smiling at Hugo and Rose.

“Yup. Passed that driving test; Hermione reckoned I was going to have to take it a second time, but I got it,” Ron said, grinning at his wife.

“I had complete faith in you!” Hermione argued, smiling all the same.

Rose smiled at James, a Gryffindor second year, and Albus; it was his first term as well.

“Hey guys,” she greeted. “Am I the only one who's incredibly scared?” Albus smiled sheepishly, while James smirked.

“Has widdle Rosie got the chills,” he goaded, kissing Ginny on the cheek and racing off to see his friends.

“It's okay, Rose, I'm freaking out too,” Albus told her, grinning. “James keeps saying I'm gonna end up in Hufflepuff or Slytherin. I really hope not though, because Gryffindor's where it's at, right?” Rose nodded eagerly.

“I'm fine with Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, but dad wants me to be in Gryffindor, like him and Mum and Uncle Harry and Aunt Ginny were. And James too, I suppose,” Rose confided.

The train whistle blew, signaling for the last load.

“Oh, hurry!” Ginny and Hermione both cried as they kissed their kids goodbye and lovingly shoved them onto the train. “See you at Christmas!”

“Bye, Mum!” Rose yelled out the nearest window, waving frantically at her mother as she grew smaller, the train rolling away slowly. “Bye Dad!” She smiled at Albus and nodded down the train. “Wanna get a compartment together?”

“Sure,” Albus agreed, heading down the aisle. The two walked slowly, peeking through each glass door. Only when they reached the end did they find the emptiest compartment they'd seen, with only one girl in it, with white-blonde hair and sparkly pink glasses. “Here okay?”

“Yup,” Rose smiled at her cousin. “And the girl looks oddly familiar for some reason.”

She pulled the door open and smiled at the girl. “Can we sit? Everywhere else is full.” She looked up slowly from a magazine in her lap, her mouth set in a calm line.

“You're welcome to sit,” she said in a singsong voice. “No one else wants to.” Rose exchanged an odd look with Albus as they filed in.

“Thanks,” she said awkwardly, putting her bag on the luggage rack above the bench. She sat opposite the girl. “I'm Rose. Rose Weasley.”

The girl blinked at her. “I'm Jenna Longbottom.” Rose gaped at her.

“Like, Neville Longbottom? As in Professor Longbottom?” Rose gasped, staring at her. That would explain her hair and slightly odd nature, plus the familiarity; she was the spitting image of Luna, who she'd seen on occasion. She wondered why she had never met Jenna.

“Well yes,” Jenna said, tucking her hair behind her ear and pulling off her glasses, revealing bright blue eyes. “My father is the Herbology professor; he's already warned me that me being his daughter will do nothing for my grade.”

Albus spoke up. “Well, er, Jenna, our parents are friends with yours. I'm Albus Potter, and my dad and mum know your parents well... and Rose's mum and dad are friendly with them too.” Jenna looked at him blankly.

“That's nice,” she said, not rudely, as if she meant it sincerely. “Odd we've never met.”

At that moment, the compartment door slid open.

“Albus, Rosieee,” James sang as he and his gang of friends crossed the threshold, hardly glancing at Jenna. “Meet my friends, Owen and Tyler; they were dying to meet you two, for reasons I don't really know.” As he said their names, he gestured to each boy. Rose appraised the two boys on either side of her cousin with tight lips. Owen was tall and lanky for his age, with shoulder-length blonde hair, blue eyes, and a wicked grin. She suspected he was a ladies' man, similar to James.

Tyler was also tall (the two were both taller than James, by at least a head), and had a full head of brown hair, swept neatly across his forehead. He was kind of sulking behind James and Owen, a blank look spread across his good-looking face. He nodded to Albus and smiled at Rose.

Owen ruffled Albus' hair. “Hey, Squirt,” he said, smirking down at Albus. “Your big brother's told us all about you.” Albus gulped.

“You can go now, James,” Rose said, getting to her feet. “Thanks for stopping in.” Her voice was cold as she glared down her cousin. James looked momentarily taken aback, before regaining his cool.

“Fine, fine,” he said, holding his hands up as if he'd been caught in a crime. “We'll go.” He turned on his heel and pushed past Tyler, with Owen close on his heels. Rose saw Tyler glance back at them before following closely.

Albus glared after them. “Bloody gits,” he muttered, running a hand through his short black hair. Rose sat down again, glancing at Jenna; her face remained impassive, completely unruffled.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading!