Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Power the Dark Lord Knows Not by Weasley_Red

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

It seemed to be the hottest day of the summer in Surrey. The sunlight was sweltering, there was no breeze and barely any clouds in the sky. The heat had forced the residents of Privet Drive inside their houses, where they were cooling themselves with air conditioners. The street was almost deserted except for two cloaked figures standing in front of house number four. Their faces were masked, and they were holding long sticks in their hands. They appeared to be looking at one particular window of the house.

Harry Potter slammed his trunk shut, having finally completed his packing. He’d received a letter from the Order of the Phoenix, informing him that they would come to fetch him at exactly five p.m. He went to the window and cursed when he saw the two Death Eaters still keeping watch on the house. He’d no idea how the Order members would get into the house without being spotted. He knew they could take care of two Death Eaters but things would certainly get worse if they summoned their comrades.

He went over to the desk and picked up the copy of the Daily Prophet, which had the news about the latest Death Eater attack, crumpled it up and tossed it into the bin. He remembered how desperate he’d been for news back in the summer of his fifth year at Hogwarts but now he didn’t have the heart to read about how Voldemort was terrorizing the wizarding world.

It was obvious that Voldemort was quickly taking over the wizarding world. There were Death Eater and Dementor attacks almost daily and the Ministry of Magic wasn’t helping much by insisting it was still in control. He’d received many letters from Rufus Scrimgeour, the Minister for Magic, asking him to reveal what he was planning to do about Voldemort but he’d never replied back. The Ministry had only made things worse ever since Voldemort had returned.

It’d been another long and lonely summer at Privet Drive, he’d no idea how he’d survived the last three and a half weeks. The Dursleys had been almost decent to him this summer; Aunt Petunia had always called him down for food, Dudley had been almost friendly to him (well, as friendly as Dudley could be) and Uncle Vernon had completely ignored him but he wasn’t complaining. Despite their improved attitudes, he had preferred to stay in his room. He was always miserable living with the Dursleys. He had only returned because he’d promised Professor Dumbledore he would do it. Mrs. Weasley had insisted that Harry should accompany her straight to the Burrow but he’d refused. He had told her he just couldn’t break his promise to Dumbledore …

Dumbledore

.

He was once again assailed by memories of that terrible night in the cave and everything that had transpired after it. The thing which hurt him the most was that Dumbledore had drunk the potion for nothing but a fake locket and he’d ended up losing his life because of it. He wished they’d known that it wasn’t the real Horcrux. Well, he wished for countless things to be different in his life…

He felt angry with Dumbledore for trusting Severus Snape so blindly even though he’d always preferred the Dark Arts. He’d never trusted Snape but Dumbledore would never hear a word against that traitor. Snape had told Voldemort about the prophecy, for goodness’ sake, and yet Dumbledore had still trusted him. Why? He was frustrated that he didn’t know all the facts.

He’d spent the last whole month thinking about the seemingly impossible task that his former Headmaster had left him. He often found himself muttering “the locket … the cup … the snake … something of Gryffindor’s or Ravenclaws” even though it didn’t help him with anything. He’d no idea where to find any of the Horcruxes and wasn’t sure whether he could do it without Dumbledore.

Harry rubbed his eyes and glanced impatiently at his watch. He still had half an hour to wait for the Order members to come and take him to the Burrow. He was elated that he was never coming back to Privet Drive and even the last thirty minutes felt like too much. He suddenly remembered that Lupin had mentioned something about taking the Dursleys into hiding, although he hadn’t revealed more about that. He was also slightly worried about the Dursleys safety, knowing the Death Eaters would probably storm the house as soon as his mother’s protection was lifted. He didn’t care much about the Dursleys but he’d never wanted them dead. It wouldn’t be easy to convince Uncle Vernon, though.

He snapped out of his reverie as he heard Hedwig hooting loudly. The snowy white owl was looking reproachfully at him.

‘Oh, sorry Hedwig,’ said Harry, remembering that he’d forgotten to give Hedwig her owl treats. ‘You must want your owl treats.’

He slipped some owl treats into Hedwig’s cage. She stopped hooting at once and nipped his finger affectionately before getting started on the owl treats.

Harry sat on his bed, waiting impatiently for the Order members to arrive quickly. His thoughts drifted towards Ginny once more. He always relived the agony of breaking up with her whenever he thought of her but he couldn’t help it. It’d been almost as painful as Dumbledore’s death. The few weeks he’d spent with her had probably been the happiest of his life. He’d never known that he could have so much in life before they’d started going out. No matter how painful it was, he knew he’d done the right thing. He’d to protect her. He was glad she’d understood and not protested too much.

He lay back on his bed, thinking about Ginny and the time seemed to pass away quickly. He jumped up when he realized that the Order members would be arriving within five minutes. He stepped out the room and ran downstairs as fast as he could. He saw Aunt Petunia watching him from the kitchen as he stopped before the front door.

‘Going, are you, Potter?’

Uncle Vernon came out of the living room, closely followed by Dudley. He’d a wide smile on his face. Harry knew he was bursting with joy because he’d never seen his uncle smile like that before.

‘Yes, I can hardly wait,’ said Harry, trying to stop the grin from spreading across his face. He knew it would only infuriate his uncle, he would be angry enough when wizards would enter his house.

Harry noticed Dudley looking intently at him from behind his father. He’d grown even larger over the last year and was almost a head taller than Harry. Harry glanced out the window, expecting to see the two Death Eaters and was surprised when he saw that the street was completely deserted.

He jumped as the doorbell rang suddenly.

‘There’s no one out there, Potter,’ said Uncle Vernon, looking fearful and stepping back from the front door.

‘They must be invisible,’ guessed Harry as if it was the most normal thing in the world. .

‘I-Invisible?’ his uncle stuttered.

The doorbell rang once again and Harry quickly opened the door.

‘You must always remember constant vigilance, Potter,’ said Mad-Eye Moody’s familiar voice. ‘You should’ve asked who it was “ we could easily have been Death Eaters.’

‘I thought they couldn’t harm me in this house,’ said Harry, grinning. ‘Are all of you inside?’

‘Yes, close the door,’ replied Mad-Eye.

Harry closed the door at once. Mad-Eye, Remus Lupin and Kingsley Shacklebolt appeared before them, causing Uncle Vernon to gasp.

‘Hello Moody, Kingsley, Professor Lupin,’ greeted Harry, shaking hands.

‘Hello Harry,’ said Remus, who was looking younger and much happier than the last time Harry had seen him. ‘You should call me Remus. I’m not your teacher anymore.’

’So what happened to the Death Eaters?’ asked Harry.

‘We’ll explain after we sit down somewhere,’ said Mad-Eye, stomping towards the living room. ‘You three come with us “ we’ve to discuss something,’ he said to the Dursleys.

Dudley backed away while Aunt Petunia exchanged an anxious look with her husband. Harry followed the Order members into the living room and they settled down on the couch, waiting for the Dursleys to join them.

’So what did you to do the Death Eaters?’ asked Harry again.

‘We ambushed them from behind,’ replied Remus, leaning back on the couch. ‘They never suspected we would in invisible. Arthur was also here but he’d to take the Death Eaters to the Ministry.’

Uncle Vernon entered, his face alarmingly red, and was closely followed by his wife and son.

‘No need to be nervous,’ snarled Mad-Eye, his magical eye whizzing in the Dursleys’ direction. ‘We’re not here to harm you.’

Dudley clung on to his mother’s arm, his expression suggesting he wanted to bolt in the other direction.

‘Why are you sitting over here?’ demanded Uncle Vernon. ‘I thought you came here to get Potter out of here!’

‘We’re not exactly enjoying being here,’ growled Mad-Eye.

‘We’ve to discuss something with you three before we can leave,’ said Kingsley in his deep voice. ‘The protection on this house would be lifted on Harry’s seventeenth birthday. We believe you three would be in danger if that happened.’

Aunt Petunia went pale, Dudley whimpered and Uncle Vernon’s face turned even redder.

‘And why would we be in danger?’ he asked.

‘Well, You-Know-Who generally likes killing Muggles like you,’ said Mad-Eye. ‘He’ll want to kill the three of you even more as you’re Potter’s relatives.’

Harry had a feeling Mad-Eye was enjoying intimidating the Dursleys.

‘Who’s this You-Know-Who?’ asked Uncle Vernon, his voice shaking with fear.

‘The madman who’s terrorizing Great Britain at the moment,’ replied Mad-Eye, rolling his normal eye. ‘Surely you Muggles have noticed that something’s going on?’

Dudley whimpered once again and clutched his mother’s arm even tighter. Harry was surprised that his aunt’s frail arm hadn’t cracked from the pressure of Dudley’s huge hand.

‘H-He’s the one who k-killed L-Lily?’ stuttered Aunt Petunia, looking absolutely terrified.

‘Yeah, that’s him,’ nodded Mad-Eye.

‘You mean to say that everything which is happening in Britain is because of this You-Know-Who person?’ asked Uncle Vernon, switching on the television. A news reporter was talking rapidly about something, standing in front of a collapsed building. Ambulance sirens were blaring behind the reporter and rescue workers were shifting through the rubble, searching for bodies.

‘Oh yeah, they got that building only yesterday,’ said Mad-Eye casually, looking interestedly at the Muggle contraption.

‘… local police are saying that terrorist organizations have done this horrific attack …’ the reporter was saying.

‘That attack was done by no Muggle terrorists,’ said Kingsley. ‘Although, I suppose You-Know-Who could be called a wizard terrorist.’

‘What about that collapsed bridge three days ago?’ asked Uncle Vernon, switching to the next channel, which was also reporting about the same attack.

‘All You-Know-Who’s work,’ said Lupin grimly. ‘That attack was led by Bellatrix Lestrange.’

Aunt Petunia looked like she was ready to faint while Dudley was visibly shivering from fright. Uncle Vernon was trying to keep up a brave face but Harry knew he was just as scared.

‘Why are those freaks attacking us, anyway?’ asked Uncle Vernon. ‘What’ve ever done to him?’

‘Nothing, actually,’ said Mad-Eye. ‘Nobody can change You-Know-Who’s mind, though, he loves killing Muggles. It’s like his favorite sport.’

Remus and Kingsley shot warning looks at Mad-Eye. The old Auror was scaring the Dursleys to death. Harry would’ve laughed normally to see his relatives cowering like this if things had been less serious.

‘T-This h-happened b-before, d-didn’t it?’ stuttered Aunt Petunia, reminding Harry of Professor Quirrell.

‘Yes, about seventeen years ago,’ said Lupin darkly. ‘We’re trying everything we can to protect innocent people but it’s not enough.’

‘It feels like things will get even worse this time,’ said Mad-Eye, taking a liberal draught from his flask.

‘So will they attack us?’ asked Uncle Vernon as if hoping the three wizards would deny it.

‘I would bet my house on it,’ said Mad-Eye. ‘They’ll be able to attack you any time and it’s up to us to protect you.’

‘How’re you gonna protect us?’

‘We’ll take you into hiding,’ said Remus. ‘You’ll have to accompany us to the house where we’re taking Harry.’

Harry sat up straighter in surprise. The Dursleys were going to the Burrow? He just couldn’t imagine the Dursleys and Weasleys living together.

‘Absolutely not!’ rumbled Uncle Vernon, the vein in his temple throbbing dangerously. ‘I’ll not allow my family to be taken to live with such abnormal people.’

‘You’re lucky we’re offering you any protection at all!’ snarled Mad-Eye, fingering his wand threateningly. ‘You don’t even deserve it after everything that you’ve done to Potter!’

‘I’m not going to any of your houses!’ said Uncle Vernon, not backing down, his face turning purple. ‘I’ve a job here and Dudley has to go to school.’

‘All right, you can stay here as you don’t seem to value your lives,’ said Mad-Eye indifferently, getting up and limping towards the door. ‘I don’t want to waste anymore time here.’

Remus shook his head at Mad-Eye. ‘We’re not leaving until we ensure their safety.’

‘They don’t want protection,’ argued Mad-Eye, the magical eye whizzing furiously. ‘I can’t I say I’m bothered by that.’

Dudley opened his mouth to say something but quickly closed it. He seemed to be struggling to come up with the right words and kept glancing nervously at his father.

‘Yes, Dudley, do you want to say something?’ asked Remus kindly. Mad-Eye stopped to hear what Dudley had to say.

‘I “ er “ I want p-protection,’ stammered Dudley, while Aunt Petunia nodded fervently.

‘I’m glad you two finally came to your senses,’ said Mad-Eye, looking relieved.

‘We aren’t going anywhere!’ insisted Uncle Vernon, his face turning an even deeper shade of purple.

Mad-Eye groaned in frustration while Harry exchanged an exasperated look with Kingsley. Remus seemed to be deep in thought.

‘Maybe you can stay here,’ said Remus thoughtfully. ‘The Weasleys wouldn’t allow you into your house anyway. One of us can stay here for your protection and get you out of here if too many Death Eaters arrive on the scene.’

Harry thought that it was a brilliant idea but Uncle Vernon didn’t seem to think so.

‘One of you is going to stay here with us?’ he cried. ‘I was so happy that we were finally getting rid of Potter!’

‘You’re being ridiculous!’ snapped Harry, jumping up from the couch, having had enough. ‘You can’t even imagine how horrible Voldemort can be. He’ll torture you and make you beg for death! You’re going to be helpless without the Order’s protection!’

Uncle Vernon deflated and his anger was replaced by fear.

‘V-Vernon, this might just work,’ said Aunt Petunia, clutching his hand. ‘We need protection. It won’t be too bad having one of them stay here. At least we won’t need to go to those Weasleys’ place.’

‘All right,’ said Uncle Vernon, his voice barely above a whisper.

Harry, Remus, Kingsley and Mad-Eye heaved a collective sigh of relief.

‘It’s a good idea, Remus,’ said Mad-Eye appreciatively. ‘But who’ll want to stay with them?’

‘I think we can each come here in turns,’ said Remus. ‘Kingsley, could you stay here for a bit? We’ll send Dedalus later, he doesn’t mind living with Muggles.’

Kingsley didn’t seem to like the idea much but he nodded reluctantly.

‘Let’s get your trunk, Harry,’ said Remus, getting off the couch.

‘Follow me,’ said Harry, leading Remus out the living room and up to his room. Hedwig hooted happily as they entered.

‘I’ll just transport this magically to the Burrow,’ said Remus, walking over to the trunk and pointing his wand at it. ‘Evanesca!’

Harry opened Hedwig’s cage and she flew out excitedly.

‘Hedwig, go to the Burrow,’ Harry told her as she fluttered around. ‘You know where Ron lives, right?’

Hedwig appeared to nod before flying out the window and soaring off into the darkening sky.

‘Your uncle is one stubborn man,’ said Remus, as he magically transported the cage as well.

‘Tell me about it,’ said Harry wryly, running his hand through his hair. ‘Did you see the color of his face?’

‘It was alarming,’ chuckled Remus, looking out the window. ‘It’s probably a good thing they didn’t go to the Burrow. Molly might’ve roasted them alive for the way they treated you.’

‘I would’ve enjoyed that,’ said Harry, grinning.

‘Let’s go, everyone must be getting worried,’ said Remus, heading out of the room. Harry took one last look at his bedroom and followed Remus downstairs. Mad-Eye, Kingsley and the Dursleys were standing in the hallway.

‘Well, goodbye,’ he said to the three Dursleys, eager to leave. ‘I’m leaving and will never come here again.’

Aunt Petunia had a rather guilty expression on her face while Dudley shifted his feet awkwardly. Uncle Vernon merely glared at him.

‘G-Goodbye, Potter,’ squeaked Aunt Petunia, and then she rushed into the kitchen. Harry wondered whether she was feeling guilty for the way her family had treated him for the first time in living memory.

‘Goodbye,’ barked Uncle Vernon, also heading to the kitchen. ‘And good riddance,’ Harry heard him mutter under his breath.

Harry was slightly amused by the way Uncle Vernon’s good mood had disappeared.

‘Goodbye, Harry,’ croaked Dudley, wringing his hands.

‘Bye,’ said Harry.

Dudley looked like was struggling for words once more. He really was one of the slowest-witted people he’d met in his life. Well, Crabbe and Goyle were just as thick.

‘Are we going to be safe?’ he finally asked, sounding more confident in his father’s absence.

‘The Order members will protect you,’ replied Harry dispassionately. ‘They’re a good bunch of people.’

‘That we are,’ muttered Mad-Eye.

‘I-Is he t-trying to kill you?’ stammered Dudley.

‘Yeah, he’s been trying to do that ever since I was born,’ said Harry grimly, taken-aback by Dudley’s question. Why did Dudley sound like he was sincerely worried about his wellbeing? He was surely imagining things.

‘Stop talking with him, Dudley!’ growled Uncle Vernon from the kitchen. ‘Let him leave already!’

‘He should really be taught a lesson,’ said Mad-Eye, taking out his wand. ‘You should let me jinx him, Potter.’

‘It’s all right,’ said Harry as Dudley paled considerably.

‘Bye,’ he said before hurrying into the kitchen.

‘Sorry you’ve to stay with them, Kingsley,’ said Mad-Eye, stowing his wand into his cloak.

‘I’ve been protecting the Muggle Prime Minister for over a year,’ said Kingsley, shrugging. ‘I’ve enough experience with Muggles.’

‘Time for me to go to the Burrow,’ said Mad-Eye, quickly stomping to the front door. He examined the street with his magical eye before opening the door. He exited the house and Harry heard a cracking noise after a few moments. He knew the noise meant that the old Auror had just Disapparated.

Remus opened the door of the cupboard under the stairs, where Harry had slept for almost ten years.

‘Did they make you sleep here?’ he asked suspiciously.

‘Er “ yeah,’ mumbled Harry, feeling awkward.

‘This is outrageous!’ exclaimed Kingsley.

‘I agree with Moody now,’ said Remus, fingering his wand. ‘They deserve to be punished.’

‘Never mind them,’ said Harry. ‘I’m never coming back, anyway.’

He scowled and turned away from the cupboard, remembering how the Dursleys had used to lock him inside. He hadn’t wanted the others to find out as he didn’t want them to feel sorry for him.

Harry glanced around the house, not knowing how he was supposed to feel. He was definitely happy about leaving forever but he also felt strange. He’d lived a huge part of his life in Privet Drive and it’d some unforgettable memories like Dumbledore coming to visit and Aunt Marge blowing up. He knew he was trying to be positive about it even though he’d always been miserable here. He found it hard to believe that he would never have another miserable summer here.

‘Time to go,’ said Remus, still frowning. ‘I believe you have experienced Side-Along-Apparition before?’

‘Oh yeah, I did it with Professor Dumbledore,’ said Harry, his heart aching at the mention of his departed mentor.

Remus walked out the front door and Harry quickly followed. Just as he was closing the door behind him, he saw Dudley and Aunt Petunia staring in his direction from the doorway of the living room. He closed the door and joined Remus on the street.

‘Take my arm, Harry,’ said Remus. ‘It’s time to take you away from this miserable place once and for all.’

Harry smiled slightly as Remus turned on the spot. He got his one last look of Privet Drive before the darkness enveloped them, and it disappeared from view.