Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Summer Before 6th Year by Terri

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Afterwards, Harry was not quite sure what had happened, one minute he was lying in a hospital bed, and the next he was floating along in a chair between his godfather and Mr. Weasley, covered with his invisibility cloak. Tonks, Ginny, Ron and Hermione were waiting in the Gryffindor common room, with Bill and Mrs. Weasley. Remus allowed Harry to be tucked up on a couch, propped up on several pillows, after Harry promised to eat something from the piles of snacks, sandwiches and goodies laid out on a table.

As soon as Remus had turned away, Harry found himself buried under the weight of Hermione, Ginny, Tonks, and Mrs. Weasley all hugging him, gently, but repeatedly. Ron stood behind the couch, still looking rather pale, handed Harry a Chocolate Frog between hugging females. When they had all settled down, and seated themselves, Harry sipped on pumpkin juice while trying to find an appetite. Remus sat on the arm of the couch at Harry’s head, and Hermione sat by his legs, with Ron on the other arm. Everyone was talking at once, which Harry was thankful for, as no one seemed to require much from him. Bill and Tonks told everyone about watching what happened from the edge of the Forbidden Forest, where they where dueling with Death Eaters who had Apparated there.

“Just about the time we saw Fawkes swoop down, Hagrid appeared out of the forest. He saw You-know-who send that last curse at you, Harry, and went berserk. As he was plowing through a group of Death Eaters, Grawp came barreling out of the forest, and after that it was pretty much one sided.” Bill finished with a chuckle.

“Where is Hagrid? He knows I’m okay, doesn’t he?” Harry asked anxiously, looking over his shoulder at Remus.

“Yes, Harry, he tiptoed in to see you in the hospital wing while you were sleeping.” Remus reassured him.

Molly Weasley had disappeared as Bill was speaking, and walked back into the common room with a tray holding a steaming bowl. She moved to the couch and set the tray across Harry’s leg.
“Here, Harry, dear. You need to eat something nourishing, so I made you a nice stew.” She stood there beaming down at him until Harry picked up the spoon, and took a bite. The stew was meaty and warm, and before he knew it, Harry had eaten half the bowl.

Hermione took the tray from him when he’d eaten as much as he could, the conversation flowing around him fluidly. Bill and the Weasleys were headed back to Number 12 Grimmauld Place this afternoon, and Tonks would spend one last night in the girl’s dorms with Hermione and Ginny. The rest of the Hogwarts Auror squad would be taking up residency in the Shrieking Shack in the morning. Everyone else had already left, escorting Death Eaters to Azkaban Prison, or back to the Ministry of Magic.

Harry settled back on his pillows, Hermione sitting against his leg, a reassuring hand on his knee. Ron was next to her, still perched on the arm of the chair, describing how Harry held Snape aloft by his ankle. Ginny was sitting on the floor in front of the couch, laughing, and Harry could feel Remus’ hand on the pillow at the top of his head. His stomach now full, and his eyelids heavy, Harry dropped off to sleep.

“Harry.”

Sirius Black’s voice, deep and husky, wrapped itself around Harry’s mind, and Harry found himself back in the Death Chamber housed in the Department of Mysteries, in the basement chambers of the Ministry of Magic. He walked slowly towards the ancient archway with its tattered black veil at the end of the raised stone dais in the center of the room. He sat down next to it, on the stone surface.

“Hi, Sirius.”

“How are you, Harry? Have you already fought Voldemort?” Sirius sounded anxious.

“Yes, just. It was this morning at dawn, I went out with Snape.” Harry sighed. “I survived Voldemort this morning, Sirius, but Snape will probably kill me now.”

“Why, Harry, what happened?”

Harry relayed to his godfather what had happened that morning, glossing over the Avada Kedavra curse that had hit him, and emphasizing the sight of Severus Snape hanging by his ankle in the Gryffindor common room. Sirius roared with laughter, even as Harry expressed concerns of his continued wellbeing, especially when studying Potions.

“Go ahead and laugh.” Harry said darkly. “He can’t poison you.”

Sirius let out a bark of laughter. “Nope, he sure can’t. Now, tell me again about the curse hitting you, Harry, and why exactly you aren’t dead?”

It was Harry’s turn to chuckle. “I was afraid you’d pick up on that. Voldemort didn’t like it when Fawkes showed up, and hit me with the Avada Kedavra curse as we flew up towards the tower. I do have some scorch marks on my shoulders and the back of my head, but Dumbledore thinks that the protection my mum gave me when she died is still protecting me.”

Sirius was silent for several heartbeats. “That is pretty amazing, Harry, but the power of love is very, very strong. It has been known to make miraculous things happen.”

“I think Dumbledore said something like that to me in June, when he told me about the Prophecy.” Harry said thoughtfully.

“I can imagine he did, Harry, as I am well aware of how deeply you love. It is one of the reason’s you can still talk to me here.” The warmth of Sirius’ voice wrapped around Harry.

“Remus says you are haunting him, is it really you, or just his nightmares?” Harry asked laughing.

“Maybe I should just let that be a mystery to you, Harry, to keep you honest. And you can tell Moony I said, well done!”

“I will, he’ll appreciate that. I think today was hard on him, Sirius.”

“He was watching and saw you get hit, wasn’t he?”

“Yes, with Ron, Hermione and Ginny.”

“Ouch, that must have been bloody hard to watch, Harry! Let us hope that things settle down now for the school term, okay?”

“Yes, Sirius, I’ll do my best to be a good boy.”

Harry could still hear Sirius’ bark of a laugh in his mind, as a hand on his forehead brought him awake. He opened his eyes slowly to see Remus leaning over him, hand still on his head. Harry smiled up at him sleepily.

“Harry, the Weasleys was getting ready to leave, and I knew you’d want to say goodbye.”

Nodding, Harry moved to sit-up, noticing that everyone had moved to the entrance of the common room, hugging one another. With Remus’ help, he stood up and found to his surprise, his knees were a bit shaky.

“It’s to be expected, Harry, that being hit with a killing curse might weaken you a little!” Remus assured him ironically as he helped steady his godson with an arm around the shoulder. They slowly made their way around the side of the couch before they were noticed and everyone came back to hug Harry and say goodbye, even Bill and Mr. Weasley.

The common room seemed unnaturally quiet as Remus settled Harry back on to the couch. Harry settled back into the pillows, his head still tender, and his scar achy. He was unsettled, restless even, but didn’t know why. Ron and Hermione hurried back in through the portrait hole, and Harry was glad to see them. Remus watched as they settled themselves next to Harry, and left them to look after the patient, going in search of Dumbledore.

“Alright, Harry?” Ron asked, still looking on the pale side.

“I dunno.” Harry answered truthfully. “I’m not sure exactly how to feel.”

Hermione pinned him with a questioning gaze. “You mean because you escaped being killed by Voldemort again, or because Snape is going to absolutely kill you the first chance he gets?”

“Both, actually.” Harry grinned at her. “It is a bit weird to think that the greatest dark wizard of all time has hit me twice with a killing curse, and I’m still walking around. I hope no one else tries it!”

“I don’t know, Harry, not many others would even try it, after Voldemort failed. I think we ought to get hold of Rita Skeeter and let her write another article.” Hermione said, looking thoughtful.”

“Forget Vo..Voldemort.” Ron got out the name, but not without a shudder. “You need to concentrate on Snape, mate! When he hears what happened, you will be a dead man!”

Harry looked at his best friends, both were tired and pale, but grinning from ear to ear. He grinned back conspiratorially. “I wonder if there was a way to make out that I meant to pick him by the ankle, not that it was the only thing I had time to grab when Fawkes showed up.”

“I think Rita would write it anyway you told her too, Harry, think of the money she could get with an exclusive interview.” There was a mischievous gleam in her big brown eyes. “Might as well be murdered as a legend, Harry!”

“I’m not sure anyone will believe the truth, and bloody hell, who’d have thought he’d be wearing silk underpants, pink no less!” Ron said, and then lost it completely, rolling on the floor laughing.

Hermione and Harry looked at each other and started laughing as well. It felt like it had been forever since they’d been able to laugh, and now it was as if they could not stop. Every time one of them slowed down, all it took was eye contact with one of the others and they were all lost in fresh gales of laughter again. Harry felt a stitch in his side from laughing, but still could not stop, worries and concerns seemed to slide away, at least for the moment. Ginny walked in and looked at them in concern, but between the three of them, they got out enough for her to understand, and she was soon laughing as hard as they were.

Their laughter rang through Gryffindor Tower, and anyone passing outside might have questioned their sanity, Harry thought as he caught his breath, feeling wonderfully 16 again. He knew he had not laughed like that in a very long time, since before Sirius had died. Harry also knew that neither of his godfathers would think less of him for it, and if Remus was within earshot, he was probably glad to hear it. With a feeling of wellbeing, Harry watched with a grin, as his friends continued to succumb to fits of giggles.

That was how Remus found them when he walked back into the common room, still hiccupping with laughter and tears streaming down their faces. He laughed just looking at them, their faces flushed red and eyes glowing.

“Now, that’s more like it! You lot have been awfully serious lately, good to hear you laugh.” He smiled as he sat down on the arm of the couch. Ron still sat on the floor, Hermione was sprawled across Harry’s legs at the other end of the couch, and Ginny in a chair next to Ron.

Harry waggled his fingers, summoning a Chocolate Frog so that it skimmed Ron’s hair as it flew from the table.

“Hey!” Ron bellowed as he lunged for the frog, and Harry caught it smoothly. Ron turned toward the table, waved his hand, saying “Accio frog!” And almost fell over when a Chocolate Frog actually flew into his hand.

The rest of the afternoon past quickly, with the friends talking about the start of term and the other students arriving the next day. Remus was a silent, but reassuring presence as they discussed the classes that they would be taking, and Ginny bemoaned the fact that this was her O.W.L. year. They asked Remus about Rita Skeeter, sniggering as they did, and he promised to mention it to Dumbledore.

“I forgot to tell you, Remus, that Sirius says he is pleased that he is haunting your dreams!” Harry said with a grin, tilting his head up to look at him.

Remus raised at eyebrow. “Did he really? And when did you have this conversation?”

“This afternoon when I fell asleep, just before everyone left.” Harry told him. “He laughed at me when I asked him about it!”

The portrait swung open and Albus Dumbledore appeared with Madam Pomfrey. Ron jumped up off the floor and brushed off the seat of his pants. The nurse was holding a goblet in her hand as she came bustling up to Harry, handing it to Hermione as she fussed over Harry. Remus stood and started a quiet conversation with the Headmaster, not doubt telling him of Harry’s conversation with Sirius.

Harry’s head suddenly split open along his scare, the excruciating pain exploding on his consciousness, and he went rigid with agony. The room faded around him, the black chasm opening as he lost consciousness, falling into the depths. He became aware that he was on his knees, retching, as the world spun and his stomach lurched again. Hands lifted him back up to the couch and he knew that Remus held in a tight grip, as the long cool fingers of Albus Dumbledore soothed his forehead. Harry concentrated with all his might on the single thrilling note of Phoenix song that sounded in his mind.

“Harry?” Dumbledore’s voice was gentle, his fingers softly stroking his burning scar, calming him as they did.

Harry could feel Hermione taking one of his fists and smoothing it between her hands, and he struggled to open his eyes. The room had stopped moving and Dumbledore was bending over him, sitting beside Harry on the edge of the couch. Out of the corner of his eye, Harry caught sight of Madame Pomfrey, her hands clasped to her face in horror, having never witnessed one of his “attacks”.

“Professor…he’s just found out…a wizard…Madame Pomfrey told him…” Harry took a breath, his scar still searing white-hot at regular intervals.

“Poppy?” Dumbledore looked towards the nurse, standing on the opposite side of the couch. “Have you told anyone about what happened to Harry today?”

Madame Pomfrey appeared stricken, visibly shaken. “I sent an owl to the top medi-wizard at the Ministry of Magic, Headmaster, asking for some advice on the best way to treat Harry, as no one has ever survived being hit with a killing curse.”

“It would seem that you have inadvertently sent that news to a Death Eater, Poppy, but at least it is one more that we know about.” Dumbledore said grimly. “I am sure that Kingsley will know how to deal with the man.”

“He’s really really angry…and knows he won’t be able to get to me here. But…” Harry took a deep breath, willing his churning stomach to calm down. “I think he still believes that Snape, er, Professor Snape is dead.” Harry looked wildly at Dumbledore.

“Calm yourself, Severus is fine, Harry.” Dumbledore smiled at him, a twinkle in his eye. “Well enough to ask exactly what happened, as I believe he has flashes of memory from the flight into Gryffindor Tower.”

Harry gulped, and the others laughed at the expression on his face.

Dumbledore smiled, drew his hand down Harry’s face, as if to feel for a fever, before removing it, and standing up. “I need to get down to dinner and speak to the teachers, but I will be back up later. Drink your potion, Harry, and I have food coming up for everyone.”

Harry eyed the blue potion in the goblet that had ended up set hastily on the table near the couch. “That wizard didn’t tell you what to put in the stuff I’ve been drinking, did he?” He asked the nurse.

“Oh no, Harry, that is a general restorative potion.” Pomfrey was horrified.

Harry obediently drank the potion and handed the goblet back to the nurse, and Dumbledore swept her from the room. Sitting up a little higher on the pillows, he gently tugged his hand free from Hermione’s grip, trying to work feeling back into his fingers. Hermione grinned at him sheepishly and tucked a blanket more firmly around him. Ginny climbed on the arm at the other end of the couch, as Remus resumed his seat by Harry, his hand lingering on the top of his head.

“Are you done being sick all over the place, Harry?” Ron asked as he used his wand to clear up the mess in the common room.

“Well, I hope so.” Harry grimaced, his scar still throbbing painfully.

“At least this time you threw up before dinner, Harry, such a complete waste of good food.”

Ron never saw the pillow the nailed him.

*

The teenagers enjoyed a leisurely meal in front of the crackling fireplace in the common room. Remus had joined the teachers in the Great Hall as soon as they had settled in, leaving them with a last glance at Harry. It had been hard on them, Harry realized, to watch the morning events from the sidelines, feeling helpless, and he indulged Hermione and Ginny as they fussed over him. Hermione had taken Remus’ place on the arm of the couch by his head, and Ginny sat on a cushion in front of the couch. Harry found that he could even, accidentally, brush her vibrant red hair with his fingers, as it lay fanned across the edge of his blanket.

“It is going to be weird to not be on the Hogwarts Express tomorrow when it pulls out of Kings Cross.” Ron said, pushing the rest of his treacle tart away, his stomach comfortably full.

“Hope Malfoy searches the whole bloody train three times looking for us.” Ginny said, vindictively. “He’s going to get a shock when he sees us here.”

“Stupid git.” Harry remarked. “Always has to get his threats in, doesn’t he?”

“Oh, I think he may be more than surprised, as his father was one of those taken away this morning.” Hermione said smiling.

The lightening bolt scar throbbed painfully, and Harry grimaced. He was surprised when he felt Hermione’s soft warm fingers lay across it, he titled his head up questioningly, and she smiled down at him.

“It might make it feel better if I rub it, Harry, your hand seems to be busy.” Hermione leaned down and whispered in his ear. Harry grinned.

Ron started talking about the chances of Gryffindor to win the Quidditch Cup this year, with Harry back on the team, Ginny as a chaser, and, of course, himself as keeper. Ginny flashed him a grin over her shoulder and leaned back, covering his fingers with soft, silky hair. Hermione chuckled softly, and pretended to actually be interested in what Ron was saying. Harry was warm and comfortable, his full stomach making him drowsy, and he dozed off.

“Harry?” Remus woke him with a hand on his head. “Madame Pomfrey is here with your potion.”

Harry opened his eyes, and sat up, the common room was empty. Looking around, he found the nurse and Professor Dumbledore standing beside the couch with Remus. “Where is everyone?” He asked sleepily.

“I sent them up to bed, they were all sitting here struggling to keep their eyes open, Harry. It has been a long, hard day.” His godfather gave him a pointed look.

“How are you feeling, Harry?” Dumbledore was beside him, sitting beside him.

“Just tired, Professor, and my head is still throbbing, but I guess that is to be expected.” He looked up into the bright blue eyes. “How is Professor Snape doing?”

Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled merrily back at him. “He is going to be just fine, Harry. Madame Pomfrey has released him to his chambers for the night, and he will be well enough to greet the returning students tomorrow night. Severus doesn’t clearly remember anything after you knocked him out of the path of the first killing curse, just some flashes of images.” He peered over the top of his glasses and leaned toward Harry. “He was a bit intrigued at how he sustained bruises around his ankle, though, and I did have to tell him that he had been rescued by you, with a grip on his ankle.”

Harry closed his eyes and slumped back on the pillow. “I’m dead.” He groaned. He heard Remus chuckle softly; his eyes flew open as he sent his godfather a filthy look, which just made Remus laugh harder.

“Drink your potion, Harry, and go up to bed.” Dumbledore instructed with a smile. “I would imagine you will need your rest for tomorrow.” He laid a hand on Harry’s arm. “I must again impress on you the need to be extremely careful, Harry. With the return of the other students, we must anticipate that there will be those students who are loyal to Lord Voldemort.”

“Yes, Professor, I will be.” Harry took the goblet from Madame Pomfrey and drained it in one gulp.

With Remus’ help, Harry went up to the dormitory, and climbed into his four-poster. He felt better than he had, his knees less shaky than that afternoon, but his head still achy. Ron’s steady snores sounded from the next bed, and Harry settled in, quickly falling back asleep.


Bright sunlight flooded through the dormitory window when Harry opened his eyes the next morning. Ron was still sleeping, and Harry dressed quietly, pleased to find his legs did not shake as he left the room. The Gryffindor common room was tidy and empty as he walked through, headed for the portrait hole. Harry made his way down to the Great Hall, meeting no one on the way.

The four house tables and the staff table had been already set up when Harry walked in, a lone figure dressed in black the only occupant. Harry stopped short just inside the door, Severus Snape. Harry fought the instinct to turn and run from the room, and sat down as far away as he could. The staff table was the only one set for breakfast, which put Harry much closer than he wanted to be. He fervently hoped that Snape would just ignore his presence, as he had taken to doing this summer.

“Mr. Potter.”

Harry closed his eyes, apparently not.

“Professor Snape?” Harry turned his head toward the Potions Master.

“You knocked me out of the way yesterday morning, when the Dark Lord tried to kill me, why?” Snape’s unreadable dark eyes pierced him, burning into Harry’s bright green eyes.

Harry was dumbfounded, and found he could not look away. Of all the things he had envisioned Snape asking, this wasn’t it. “Because the curse would have killed you, sir.”

“You hate me, Potter. You loathe me. You believe that I am partially responsible for the death of your godfather. Why would you save me, Potter?” There was no sneer to Snape’s quiet voice, no hint of sarcasm, just question. “Not once but twice, according to the Headmaster. Why?”

Harry held Snape’s eyes, and answered as truthfully as he could. “No one deserves to die like that, at Voldemort’s hand. My parents did not deserve to die like that, nor did Cedric Diggory. You are a Hogwarts teacher, a member of the Order, and Dumbledore trusts you. I could not stand by and let you be killed, if there was anyway to prevent it.”

“Even though you placed your own life in jeopardy? The Headmaster said that you were struck by the Avada Kedavra curse as the Phoenix was lifting us to the castle, but it did not kill you.” The dark eyes had taken on a strange glitter.

Harry broke eye contact, looking down at his plate. “I don’t know exactly what happened. I know I grabbed Fawkes, and felt around on the ground for you, as you were under the invisibility cloak, finding your ankle.” He met Snape eyes without flinching. “I did what I needed to do.”

There was an arrested look on Snape’s face. “By my ankle?” He seemed to digest this information for a moment. “And I was covered by your invisibility cloak.”

“Yes.” Harry stated emphatically “At least, the last I remember you were.”

A platter of sausages and bacon appeared in front of Harry plate, as did a platter of eggs, flagons of milk and orange juice, and steaming bowls of porridge. Harry began to fill his plate with food, suddenly hunger, and really hoping that Snape was done asking questions. Out of the corner of his eye, Harry could see the man hesitate for a moment, still staring at him, before turning back to his own plate.

They ate in silence for several minutes, when Harry heard the sound of running footsteps coming down the marble staircase into the Great Hall. Ron, Hermione, and Ginny strolled sedately into the room, their faces flushed and breathing hard.

“Good morning, Professor Snape. Good morning, Harry.” They sang out together as they seated themselves protectively around Harry.

Ron leaned toward him, acting like he was grabbing the platter of eggs, and whispered. “You’re still alive, then?”

“Yeah, but it was definitely weird.” Harry whispered back, passing the bacon to him as well. “I don’t think he has quite worked it out yet. So, I’m good until one of the other teachers makes some remark about his underwear!”

Ginny and Hermione stifled giggles, Ron’s mouth was too full already for speech, so he nodded enthusiastically. Teachers started to filter into the Hall, and the mutter of conversation grew louder. Professor McGonagall put her hand on Harry’s shoulder as walked passed, patting it softly. Remus paused in the entrance, his eyes searching for Harry, still looking pale and tired, as he walked over.

Harry leaned over and whispered to Hermione. “We need to check on the Wolfsbane Potion, Hermione.” With a significant look at his godfather.

“It’s done and he is already drinking it.” Hermione said under her breath, and Harry gave her an appreciative smile.

“Harry, how are you?” Remus asked as he took a seat next to Hermione.

“Fine, Remus, I slept really good.” Harry said, passing Remus the flagon of orange juice. “You don’t look very good this morning.”

Remus smiled. “Nightmares will do that to you, Harry, especially ones filled with killing curses and angry black dogs.”

“Sirius doesn’t blame you, Remus! He told me so.” Harry exclaimed, appalled that Remus would even think so.

Remus leaned forward and laid a hand on Harry’s arm. “I know, Harry, but Padfoot always did say he would haunt me, you know.” He smiled. “Now, what mischief do you lot have planned for your last morning of summer holiday?”

The teenagers looked at each other blankly, they hadn’t had a lot of time for fun lately. “Can we going flying, Remus?” Ginny asked hopefully.

“Well, I don’t see why not. Maybe I will grab a school broom and join you.”

“That would be great! You and Hermione can be beaters!” Ron said eagerly.

“I think we’ll leave the bludgers where they are, Ron, we’ll just all test your skills as keeper by all being chasers!” Remus told him with a laugh.

“Harry, how are you?” Harry had not noticed Albus Dumbledore come into the Great Hall, and looked up to find him standing beside his, blue eyes twinkling and a smile that twitched at the corners.

“I feel fine, Professor, really! Is it okay if we go down to the Quidditch Field this morning and practice?”

“That is an excellent idea, but you must allow Madame Pomfrey one last look at you first.”

Harry slid out of his chair. “I’ll go up right now while everyone is finishing, alright?” He flashed them a smile. “I will meet you back in the common room.” He practically sprinted from the Great Hall.

Harry had just darted out into the Entrance Hall, heading without glancing around toward the marble staircase, and was suddenly lifted off his feet.

“Harry! What do ya think yer doin’?” Hagrid towered over him. “Ya almost died yesterday, ya should not be runnin’ like that!” He sent Harry back on his feet and then swept him into a rib-cracking hug.

Harry staggered back when Hagrid released him, grinning up at him. “I’m fine, Hagrid, really! Dumbledore told me that you and Grawp were brilliant yesterday!”

Hagrid’s cheeks grew red with pleasure. “I guess I lost me temper when I saw that curse hit ya, Harry, and Grawp just followed me in.” His eyes grew misty. “I was just sure you were dead, Harry.”

“I’m just going up the hospital wing to see Madame Pomfrey and then we are going down to the Quidditch field. Maybe you can come down and watch?”

“Alright, hurry up then.” Hagrid waved him off as he went in to breakfast.

Madame Pomfrey clucked over him, and made him drink one last goblet of blue potion, before sending him off with a warning to be careful. Harry found the others ready and waiting in the common room, Remus just finishing a goblet of smoking Wolfsbane Potion. Harry ran up to the dormitory to get his Firebolt, and they set off.

The day was sunny and warm, the sky a deep cloudless blue with a soft breeze blowing across the pitch, perfect Quidditch conditions. Harry kicked off from the ground hard, and soared straight up into the air, the wind whipping through his hair. The feeling of exhilaration that he always felt when he flew took hold and Harry sped around the goal posts, rolling, diving, and looping the field several times. Ron and Ginny caught up with him and laughed as they tried to keep up with him as they zoomed down the field. Remus and Hermione joined them, riding school brooms, and Remus carried a red quaffle, which he threw to Ron, who threw it to Ginny. Ginny lobbed it at Harry, making it fall short of him so that he had to take the Firebolt into a dive to catch it.

Tonks and Kingsley Shacklebolt flew over, taking a break from the duties of patrolling the grounds. Remus produced several golf balls, which he tossed, making Harry chase them down. Ron was put through his paces, with Hermione showing promise as a chaser, managing to get two balls past Ron for goals. Ginny was light and quick, sure-handed with the quaffle, and Harry knew she was going to make an excellent chaser. Remus caught him sitting and watching Ginny fly, winking and flashing him a thumbs up.

It was a light-hearted group that made their way back up to the castle at lunchtime. As they clambered up the steps to the Entrance Hall, Professor Dumbledore greeted them.

“I just thought I would let you know that the Hogwarts Express is on its way from Kings Crossing without incident.” He smiled at them, their faces glowing and pink from exertion. “Well done, all of you.” Dumbledore moved to stand beside Harry, his hand on Harry’s shoulder. “We will all be busy with the start of the new term, but this is not the time to let down our guard. Harry, you must continue to practice all that you have learned, but quietly, in secret. The Room of Requirement will be available to you whenever you need it. I ask you three, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, to help him, and practice your new skills as well. Returning members of the DA can also be taught, but do not show them too much, Harry.” Dumbledore looked down at him, the clear blue eyes piercing over the top of the half-moon spectacles. “It would not do to tip our hand to someone with ties to the Dark Lord.”

Harry nodded. “Are we going to continue our lessons, Professor?”

”Yes, Harry, both Remus and I will continue teaching you, as time and your lessons permit.” Dumbledore smiled at all of them. “You have all accomplished much over the summer, and I am very proud of all of you. The war for the magical world has started, and I am afraid that it will touch many of the students in Hogwarts. You all have been on its front lines these last few weeks, and have done well.” His bright blue eyes twinkled. “And after watching you, I believe that Gryffindor may have a chance at the Quidditch Cup again this year!”

Their spirits high, the teenagers made their way up to the Gryffindor Tower to put away their broomsticks before going down to lunch. Coming down from the dormitory to where Ginny waited in the common room, Harry hesitated on the last step, catching sight of Ginny peering out of the window, the sunlight bringing out golden highlights in her gleaming red hair. He walked down to stand behind her, his hand seemed to move of its own accord to stroke his fingers through the softness of her hair. Ginny looked over her shoulder at him with a smile.

“It’s a beautiful day, don’t you think, Harry?” She asked, sounding a little breathless.

Harry continued to look at her and smiled. “Yes, beautiful.”

“Will you two come on, I’m starved.” Ron interrupted loudly, standing with Hermione across the room.

Harry grabbed Ginny’s hand and they walked toward them. The expression on Ron’s face was comical, the tips of his ears were turning red at the sight of Harry holding his sister’s hand, but a lopsided grin told Harry that he wasn’t really opposed to the idea. Hermione managed to divert Ron’s attention by taking his hand, and leaning in to whisper something in his ear. Ron’s whole face was now as red as the tips of his ears, but his grin had turned somewhat silly. Hand in hand, the walked down to the Great Hall for lunch.

The afternoon sped by quickly, with the straightening of their dorms and laying out their school uniforms in readiness for the Welcoming Feast. Ron’s head disappeared under his bed, still searching for a missing pair of socks, and Harry walked down to the common room. He stood at the window for a moment, wondering idly where Remus had gotten to after lunch, before it dawned on him that his godfather was probably giving them some time by themselves. With a smile, Harry sat down in his favorite chair in front of the fireplace, and closed his eyes, smoothing the walls in his mind and clearing his thoughts, filling his mind with happy thoughts of his friends.

A tentative hand on the top of his head brought him out of his Occlumency practice. Delicate fingers smoothed down the hairs that like to stand up at the back of his head. Harry sat, unmoving, enjoying the feel, as the fingers danced around to play with the tendrils of hair that fell across his forehead. He felt them hesitate briefly, before a fingertip traced the lightening shaped scar.

“Does it hurt right now?” Ginny’s quiet voice asked.

“No, not right at this moment.” Harry said, opening his bright green eyes and looked up in to Ginny’s warm brown eyes.

Reaching up, he grabbed the errant fingers and tugged on them. Ginny lost her balance and fell over the arm of the chair, ending up sprawled in Harry’s lap, his arms coming around her to keep her from falling further. Ginny leaned against him, snuggling in, tucking her head to his shoulder. Her warm weight felt good, and her hair had a clean fragrance, and Harry could not help but bury his nose in it.

“When I watched that curse hit you yesterday, Harry, my heart stopped. I knew then that it wasn’t the-boy-that-lived that I would miss, nor my brother’s best friend, but just Harry, the sweet, brave, and wonderful person that I have grown to like very much, who I would miss most of all. I am very glad that you are alright.” Ginny told him, looking up shyly.

Harry’s stomach lurched and he wasn’t sure his throat would work if he tried to speak. He leaned down and kissed her. It was glorious.

“I’m glad too.” Harry said rather breathlessly, looking down into her bemused eyes.

Approaching voices had Ginny jumping up, and both their faces were a brilliant red as Ron and Hermione came into the common room, arguing as usual. The afternoon passed rapidly as the friends played wizard chess and exploding snap, much as they would have if they had been on the Hogwarts Express. Sweets and butterbeers were delivered by a smiling Remus Lupin, who patted Harry on the shoulder and left them again. Hermione started a fire in the fireplace with a snap of her fingers, making the others grin. Soon, sweets were flying around the room, which resounded with the sound of their laughter.

Harry’s scar gave an enormous pulse of pain; the lightening shape seemed to burn white-hot on his forehead. Grabbing at his head, Harry clapped his hands to his head, turning his focus inward, smoothing the walls in his mind, clearing his thoughts. Awareness faded as he battled to manage the pain, grasping hard at happy thought of his friends. A hand grabbed his wrist and a thrill of Phoenix song sounded, and Harry concentrated on it thankfully, as it eased the terrible pain.
“Harry?” Albus Dumbledore’s voice sounded in his ear, and the cool fingers were laid across his forehead.

Harry opened his eyes, seeing that Remus had also appeared at his side. “Its okay, Voldemort is just really annoyed that his plans failed, and the train is almost here.” He looked at them with the best smile he could muster. “I’m fine.”

Dumbledore looked down at him, blue eyes glittering over the half-moon spectacles and nodded. “Alright.” He looked at all of them. “And the train is almost here, you need to go up and get dressed.” He smiled at them. “I’m afraid your summer vacation is over.”