Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Then by Half_BloodPrincess

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Anti Litigation Charm; If I were to look into the Mirror of Erised, I would see myself holding the copyright, but unfortunately I don’t have my heart’s desire. Until such time as I figure out a spell to make me live inside the Mirror of Erised, anything you recognise belongs to the brilliant J.K. Rowling, and is merely borrowed for my amusement. The song lyrics in italics at the beginning and end of this fic are from the song Then by Brad Paisley, it's a beautiful song, which fit quite well.
I remember, trying not to stare the night that I first met you,
You had me mesmerized,
And three weeks later, in the front porch light,
Taking forty-five minutes to kiss goodnight,
I hadn't told you yet,
But I thought I loved you then.

And now you're my whole life,
Now you're my whole world,
I just can't believe the way I feel about you, girl,
Like a river meets the sea,
Stronger than it's ever been,
We've come so far since that day,
And I thought I loved you then.


They had endlessly practiced various scenarios for the Final Battle, the Last Stand, the End, but Pansy had not actually been on the battlefield for any of them. No, Pansy wasn’t cut out for the heart of battle, they said. Better off to help as a healer. Unwilling to kill, they meant. But not unwilling to die.

It was… different than she had expected. Granger had found a way to play them - videos? - of Muggle war veterans, their recollections of war. Pansy hadn’t paid much attention to them, surely Wizarding battles would be different. Why would it be smoky? Very few offensive spells caused smoke. Why would it be loud? Who couldn’t cast wordlessly? Why would there be people dying, when they could be stunned, and bound in moments? Why would there be blood? Wizards weren’t savages.

But Pansy wished she had paid attention. All around her, were clusters of people, throwing spells at one another. Professor Snape had told them that the Death Eaters would be forbidden from using the Unforgivable curses, so that the Ministry wouldn’t descend on the battle. It was a shame that there were other curses that could kill.

Pansy had seen Molly Weasley throwing household charms after Death Eaters. The cutting charm she used to cut carrots took an ear, the heating charm to boil water took an entire face. A spell to siphon liquid moved acid from the stomach to the brain. They had been right, Pansy didn’t belong on the battlefield. But the man Pansy loved did.

The last time she had talked to Draco, he had told her of his love for Granger - Hermione. He had shown her the ring he planned to marry her with. Pansy’s mind had been flooded with memories of childhood drawings of her own hand with that same ring on her finger, but her face had shown only a smile, encouraging her friend to love.

And now he was in danger, he could be killed at any moment. Pansy wasn’t naïve enough to think that she could duel even half as well as Draco, but she could take a curse in his place. She could give him one more moment to react, one more second to survive.

And then she saw them.

Granger and Draco, her dear, dear Draco, fighting back to back, spinning in circles as they’d practiced. Their wands whizzed through the air, casting, and shielding and casting again in a moment. Both held a wand in each hand, prepared to split their attention two ways. They were beautiful together; beautiful and dangerous.

Death Eaters fell from both of their spells, the left hand casting offensively, and the right defending. Brilliant colours sped out, hitting the masked figures with the ease of long hours of practice. And then Granger’s right wand threw out a curse in the same direction as an identically coloured spell being thrown back. The curses met in mid-air, both wands locked together in a battle of strength.

–Left arm locked in!” Hermione shouted out clearly to Draco. Pansy could see his eyes widen as he took in the gravity of her words. Hermione only had one arm open, for defence, and she could only defend against one attack at a time. His casting became more fierce - frantic, even - his face rabid as he desperately tried to dispatch all of the Death Eaters single-handedly. They couldn’t turn now either, as Hermione’s right arm was effectively trapped.

–Letum Lentus!” called out a deep voice, and Pansy watched in abstract horror as a dark purple glow shot out at Granger. She couldn’t move her eyes from their faces. Draco had turned to his love, heartbreak etched across his face, and she - she didn’t even look afraid. She looked resigned to her death, and Pansy saw a single tear trickle down the other girl’s cheek as she returned Draco’s gaze. Pansy’s eyes were still glued to the pair - to Draco - as she stepped in front of Granger.

She felt the Dark curse hit the centre of her chest, and fell to the ground in the same moment that Draco’s mouth opened, and he sent out a harsh white flame in a spinning circle - taking out every Death Eater around them. He growled then, spitting a small amount of the white fire, before dropping to his knees next to Pansy.

–No,” he shook his head, tears spilling down his face. –No, no, no, no, no… Don’t do this to me, Pansy. You can’t leave-” His voice broke on the last word. –Stay with me!”

–Don’t fret, Dragon,” Pansy slurred as she spoke, feeling her lungs tighten slightly. –It doesn’ hurt,” she lied. Her legs felt like they were buried in hot coals. –You’re here, that’s all I ever needed… Jus’ you…” Her eyes drooped, only to open again at Draco’s voice.

–No, Pansy, we’re going to get you inside, to the infirmary. They can fix you, I promise.” His voice shook, and if Pansy could have gathered the strength, she would have laughed at how earnest he seemed. Lucius would have said that a Malfoy should never be earnest, but it suited him. Granger’s hand touched Draco’s shoulder, and he turned, seeing her slowly shake her head.

–It was Letum Lentus,” she said, voice strangely quiet. –Slow death. I’m so sorry, Pansy.”

–Not… your fault,” Pansy bit out. –I knew… the curse… but he… Draco he… he needs you more… more than he… needs me…”

–No, I need you!” Draco cried. –I need you, Pans! I’ve always needed you!”

–Other… way round.” Pansy gasped as her stomach erupted into cramps. –I… needed you. Just… just stay. Hold me.”

–Always,” Draco whispered into Pansy’s ear. –I’ll be with you, till-”

–We’ll be here until the end,” Hermione finished shakily as Draco broke off. A jubilant cheer went up, somewhere to their left. Hermione raised her head to look, and when she turned back, she was smiling softly. –It’s Harry. He did it - Voldemort is dead.” If Pansy had had the strength, she would have snorted.

–Then I… die free… from him. Bittersweet.” Pansy struggled to pull more air into her chest, as she met Granger’s - Hermione’s - eyes full on. –I hated you… for takin’ him… takin’ him… away. Don’t… hurt him. Promise me… I’ll come back… to haunt… if…”


–I swear,” Hermione nodded at her, and Pansy could see the honest sincerity in her eyes. –I love him.”

–Love him like I can’t…” Pansy’s eyes flicked over to Draco’s wet, silvery irises. –Love her like you couldn’t love me. Love her the way I thought I loved you.”

One final, gasping, shuddering breath. Pale blue eyes stared, lifeless. Draco let out a howl of anger, pressing his cheek into her blonde locks.

–No, no, no, no…” he sobbed openly. –Pansy, no!” Small hands pried him away gently, and he buried his face in a different mane. –The first time we met… I hated her… I spat fire - my first magic - and she… she laughed, and she called me… called me dragon.” He raised his eyes to meet Hermione’s amber ones. –I loved her,” he said disbelievingly. –I never told her, but I-”

–She knew, Draco.” Hermione said softly. –She knew.”

And I remember, taking you back to right where I first met you,
You were so surprised,
There were people around, but I didn't care,
Got down on one knee right there once again,
I thought I loved you then.

And now you're my whole life,
Now you're my whole world,
I just can't believe the way I feel about you, girl,
Like a river meets the sea,
Stronger than it's ever been,
We've come so far since that day,
And I thought I loved you then.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading this - please review and make my day! NOTE: This is the end of the series, it goes no further than this. Draco and Hermione might stay together, or they might not, but that's just life. They won't ever forget Pansy's sacrifice.

NOTICE

Although none of my fanfiction on this site has been updated with any frequency they are NOT ABANDONED! I have stopped posting on this site due to problems finding a beta to help me pass the stringent approval on this site. Unbeta'd work can be found at fan fiction dot net under the name of Half-BPrincess, other than several stories already on here completed/continued I also have a wide range of other Harry Potter fanfiction posted there that ISN'T on this site.