Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Swish and Flick by hallows_vs_horcruxes

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Hello! This is just my version of how Ron proposed to Hermione. Enjoy!
"Ron!" Hermione cried, throwing herself into his arms for the first time in what felt like forever. "I've missed you so much!"

"It's only been about two months," he teased, but he'd missed her as much as she had him. He gripped her tightly, as if this would be their last embrace.

"How's being an Auror?" Hermione asked once they'd released each other and settled for their arms around the others waist.

"It's great," he said. "It's all I thought it would be."

She smiled, glad to hear he was happy.

"How's Hogwarts?" he asked in return.

"Oh, Hogwarts is Hogwarts," she said. "But it's not the same without you and Harry. Speaking of, when will he be along?"

"Oh, another hour or so, I expect," Ron answered, swinging her into the Three Broomsticks. "He had some paperwork to finish up."

Harry was not, as Ron had said, finishing paperwork, but was instead discreetly trailing the couple, sliding himself into an empty booth quite near the one they soon claimed.

"I'll get drinks, shall I?" Ron offered, and returned a few moments later with two mugs of Butterbeer in his hands.

"Mmmm," Hermione said, relishing in the warmth of her drink.

"Hermione," Ron said, drawing her attention, "you know I love you."

"Yes. And I love you." She went back to the day when they first exchanged those words at the Burrow.

"Well, I wanted to ask you something," he said, and his voice, to Hermione's curiosity, sounded a bit nervous.

"And that would be?"

"Well... I don't really know how to say this... Erm... Well, you and I both know that I wouldn't be here without you," he began. "Your voice kept me from going under when we were saving the Sorcerer's Stone. When you were Petrified in Second Year, I was scared you would never wake up - thought at that point, I saw you as only my friend. Third year, we fought over stupid things, making arguments out of nothing. Then, in Fourth Year, when you went to the Yule Ball with Viktor Krum..."

"You know," Hermione interrupted, "I denied him a few times, hoping you would ask me."

"Really?"

She nodded, and he seemed to gain a bit of confidence.

"Well, it took me a while to realize... I was jealous. That was when I first stated liking you as more than a friend. And in Fifth Year, you showed a rebellious side, and if it weren't for your brilliance, Umbridge would've screwed us all. And in Sixth, when I ruined it all for Lavender Brown, of all people..."

"I was rather jealous then, I admit," Hermione said, a small blush finding its way onto her cheeks.

"Well, you forgave me, and then we fought while we were searching for Horcruxes. I will never forgive myself for leaving you," Ron said, his eyes growing sad. "But you forgave me then, too - though it took a little while.

"Well, I guess what I'm trying to say is... Hermione Jean Granger, I love you. Will you marry me?" he finally said, drawing a breath and taking a small, black, velvet box out of his pocket and opening it so the ring was displayed.

Hermione gasped quietly. After another moment or two (in which Ron waited very anxiously), she finally nodded and whispered, "Yes," tears glistening in her eyes.

A grin split Ron's face. He took the ring out of the box.

"Swish and Flick," Hermione read aloud, looking at the engraving on the band. She smiled brightly.

"Congratulations," Harry said, sliding into the booth next to her and giving her a hug.

"Harry!" she exclaimed. "I thought you were at the office?"

He shook his head. "I've been watching the whole time, and mate," he said, turning to Ron, "that was the most sentimental thing I've ever heard you say."

"No making fun," Hermione scolded. "It was wonderful and sweet."

"To you," Harry pointed out, but he stopped sniggering.

"Do you like the engraving?" Ron asked worriedly. "I mean, I thought it as a good idea, but I could get it changed - "

"I love it, Ron," she stopped him. "It represents a lot in our relationship."

All three smiled at the memory of defeating a giant troll together - the main thing that had started their friendship.

"Well," Harry said, "now all I've got to do is pluck up the courage to ask Ginny. Way to put the pressure on me, Ron."

Ron smirked.

"Harry, I'm sure you'll be wonderful," Hermione assured him. "And you have nothing to worry about, if Ginny loves you half as much a you love her, which I know she does."

"Thanks," Harry said. "I hope you're right."

"She Hermione Granger, mate," Ron said. "She's always right."

The group laughed, and for a moment, it was like they were all back at Hogwarts again, taking a trip to the village.

"Well, Ron," Hermione said after they'd stopped laughing, "how much thought have you given about kids?"

His face blanched. "K-kids?" he asked weakly. "Um, Hermione, I don't - "

But he was cut off by Harry and Hermione's raucous laughter. "Don't worry, Ron," Hermione said a few minutes later, once they'd calmed down. "I was only kidding... For now."
Chapter Endnotes: So? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Leave a review with your thoughts! As always, thanks for reading!
~Ang